SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Non-drug treatments for restless legs

Altostrata

• Administrator

Apparently the quinine in tonic water can work for restless legs:

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2010/10/11/is-quinine-in-tonic-water-safe/

Caution: If you have tinnitus, quinine can aggravate it. Is there enough in tonic water to cause a problem? I don't know.

Discussion of various home remedies for RLS http://www.myhomeremedies.com/topic.cgi?topicid=319

More home remedies

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/natural-medicine/home-remedies/home-remedies-for-restless-legs-syndrome.htm

http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/restless_legs.html

(Restless legs can also be a symptom of akathisia, see discussion Akathisia or agitation?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Administrator

I had pretty good success with making "magnesium oil" (magnesium dissolved in water) and rubbing it on my legs.

Magnesium helps relax muscles. You can also absorb it in an Epsom salts bath.

I opened magnesium citrate capsules and mixed the powder in body lotion. It caused the water to separate out of the body lotion but otherwise worked fine.

Here's a how-to: http://www.ehow.com/way_5965390_homemade-magnesium-oil.html

You can use any kind of powdered magnesium, or Epsom salts (mag sulfate).

Next time I make it (soon), I'm going to put water in a bottle, microwave it to boiling, and throw some mag citrate (or a cheaper kind) in and shake. Let cool and slather on.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

This is going to sound weird, but I came across an old wives remedy that involves putting a bar of soap under the sheet at the bottom of the bed. It is something to do with the alkali properties. Some people reported it helped (and they could not believe it!) others not. Wonder if anyone else had heard of this?

Sept 2010 - Citalopram 1 day

Sept 2010 - Zopliclone for ten weeks (paranoia ended a couple of months after coming off this and sleep settled down again until the last couple of months)

Ocober 2010 - Cymbalta 30mg

November 2010 - Cymbalta 60mg

February 2011 - 60mg to 30 mg (lasted 10 days)reinstated 60mg

March 2011 - Took 2 60mg tablets on one evening in error - paralysis of face, back of head, shoulder, stabbing in right kidney, lost 30% of hearing)

March - June 2011 went down quickly 1mg a day until I got stuck at 25mg, went up to 27mg, because couldn't breath.

26th June - 26mg

3rd July - 25mg

17th July - 24mg

24th July - 23mg

7th Aug - began reducing by a bead every couple of days or so went well at first then hit a wall

24th October - now on 18.5mg. Since the kidney infection at start of September, have been in constant pain and anxiety, no let up. Given Ciprofloxacin.

8th Jan 2012 17.8mg (currently reducing 0.2mg a week)

8th Jan 2012 17.6mg last reduction was 6 days ago.

15th Jan 17.4mg

21st Jan 17.2mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Alto, the post by harryt is err, curious? See what you think of the links? ~S

InNeed, that surely is an alternative treatment. Thanks for your interest.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• 2 months later...

I used tonic water when I had RLS on mirtazapine and it worked wonders! I decided to try it again, since its flared up recently, and within 15-20 minutes my legs relaxed and I was able to sleep. The stuff tastes vile but it's worth it.

2003-2011: Paroxetine,Citalopram,Effexor; Aug/Sept 2011: Effexor to Mirtazapine; Oct 2011: C/T Mirtazapine back to Effexor; Nov/Dec 2011: Fast Tapered Effexor - w/d hell; Feb 2012: Reinstated Effexor 37.5mg; June 2012: Dropped to 35.6mg; Jan 2016: Propranolol 2.5mg per day for general anxiety; Feb 2016: Finasteride 0.25mg per week to slow hair loss; 18th May - 8th June 2019: Started Vyvanse 7.5mg and increased by 7.5mg weekly to 30mg (lowest “therapeutic” dose for adults).; 21st June 2019 - 12th July: Cross tapered from venlafaxine brand Rodomel to Efexor (1/4 > 1/2 > 3/4 weekly before ditching Rodomel); 13th July 2019: Cut Vyvanse dose to 15mg; 15th July 2019: Akathisia returned after years of being free; 16th July 2019: Went back up to Vyvanse 30mg

Supplements: Omega-3, Vitamin D, Zinc, Phosphatidylserine 

According to this guy http://www.rlcure.com/ RLS is caused by inflammation, and can therefore be treated by taking a combination of anti-inflammatory herbs/food and avoiding those which cause inflammation.

He has a huge list of herbs, supplements, etc, to take, but suggests you "test" his theory by starting off with Ginger Root, Curcumin, Cayenne and carrot juice.

He provides scientific studies to back up his claims and he doesn't seem to be trying to sell anything (he doesn't actually sell any herbs). ANyway, I'm gonna try it and see if it works.

2003-2011: Paroxetine,Citalopram,Effexor; Aug/Sept 2011: Effexor to Mirtazapine; Oct 2011: C/T Mirtazapine back to Effexor; Nov/Dec 2011: Fast Tapered Effexor - w/d hell; Feb 2012: Reinstated Effexor 37.5mg; June 2012: Dropped to 35.6mg; Jan 2016: Propranolol 2.5mg per day for general anxiety; Feb 2016: Finasteride 0.25mg per week to slow hair loss; 18th May - 8th June 2019: Started Vyvanse 7.5mg and increased by 7.5mg weekly to 30mg (lowest “therapeutic” dose for adults).; 21st June 2019 - 12th July: Cross tapered from venlafaxine brand Rodomel to Efexor (1/4 > 1/2 > 3/4 weekly before ditching Rodomel); 13th July 2019: Cut Vyvanse dose to 15mg; 15th July 2019: Akathisia returned after years of being free; 16th July 2019: Went back up to Vyvanse 30mg

• Moderator Emeritus

I think I posted somewhere else about weighted blankets. One of the things people use them for is restless legs.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Administrator

See Weighted blankets

jr, everything is attributed to inflammation these days. I'd take that theory with the usual grain or two.

This is interesting -

Restless legs syndrome e Theoretical roles of inflammatory and immune mechanisms

Theories for restless legs syndrome (RLS) pathogenesis include iron deficiency, dopamine dysregulation and peripheral neuropathy. Increased prevalence of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) in controlled studies in RLS and case reports of post-infectious RLS suggest potential roles for inflammation and immunological alterations.

A literature search for all conditions associated with RLS was performed. These included secondary RLS disorders and factors that may exacerbate RLS. All of these conditions were reviewed with respect to potential pathogenesis including reports of iron deficiency, neuropathy, SIBO, inflammation and immune changes. A condition was defined as highly-associated if there was a prevalence study that utilized an appropriate control group. Small case reports were recorded but not included as definite RLS-associated conditions.

Fifty four diseases, syndromes and conditions have been reported to cause and/or exacerbate RLS. Of these, 38 have been reported to have a higher prevalence than age-matched controls, 9 have adequate sized reports and have general acceptance as RLS-associated conditions and 7 have been reported in case report form. Overall, 42 of the 47 RLS-associated conditions (89%) have also been associated with inflammatory and/or immune changes. In addition, 43% have been associated with peripheral iron deficiency, 40% with peripheral neuropathy and 32% with SIBO. Most of the remaining conditions have yet to be studied for these factors.

The fact that 95% of the 38 highly-associated RLS conditions are also associated with inflammatory/ immune changes suggests the possibility that RLS may be mediated or affected through these mechanisms. Inflammation can be responsible for iron deficiency and hypothetically could cause central nervous system iron deficiency-induced RLS. Alternatively, an immune reaction to gastrointestinal bacteria or other antigens may hypothetically cause RLS by a direct immunological attack on the central or peripheral nervous system.

Is it possible withdrawal could trigger an inflammatory response?

• Administrator

Personally, I doubt it. In withdrawal, it's more likely transient nervous system dysregulation.

Does the sensation of vibrations in the legs fall into RLS? I've been curious about this as I've seen it as yes and no. I have the vibrating legs thing and it was one of the reasons I realized I needed to taper off my ADs. I later discovered that ADs particularly the one I was taking can cause this, but I'm not certain if the vibrations I feel (they last for the day or days and then I'll have a day or two off before they return) are RLS, but I feel they are just not falling into the usual jerking legs that you can't sleep issue. I had that years ago here and there. Very rare but I did have it. I think taking the imipramine for 16 years caused a change in how it occurs. Like it's deeper in the CNS due to the long term use of an AD. Klonopin helps calm it to some degree and it seems that it has improved a bit as my time off the AD continues. But are vibrations, nonstop throughout the day basically RLS with just a different experience of it? I'm fairly certain it is since I don't think RLS can be put into a specific experience in a specific way but more likely a wider range like most CNS stuff.

• Administrator

There seems to be a lot of overlap between RLS and akathisia. Akathisia is strictly a drug-related symptom, it doesn't exist except as an adverse effect.

There seems to be a lot of overlap between RLS and akathisia. Akathisia is strictly a drug-related symptom, it doesn't exist except as an adverse effect.

They seem to classify it the same though without making much distinction. Yet, I'm certain mine is the result of the Imipramine. I just hope it goes away at some point in time like after the withdrawal has run its course since it was the main reason I went off the drug. I've gotten used to it and it seems to have calmed to a degree in its intensity, but I still have it for a few days or even several then get a day or two off. Klonopin seems to help as does some exercise to a degree though I haven't really been able to test the exercise part of it as I'm still working through withdrawal and exercise is a challenge right now. If this is permanent, that would suck. Truly.

I'm curious about tonic water - to see if it would help, but it's stated that it interacts with tegretol. So I avoid it and after what I've gone through, I'm not sure I would even want to risk tapering the tegretol at any time in my future. Same with klonopin. I'm content to stick with my 1mg at night of klonopin rather than go through some major hell down the line. Imipramine was the worst and the highest dosage. Not sure 300mg of tegretol or 1mg of klonopin (which I aim to return to after all this withdrawal stuff is over since I'm currently hovering around 4-6 mg but was once at 8-12 on really bad days).

• 1 year later...

I know that this is on old thread, but I've just registered and find this thread very very pertinent! I have decided to come off paroxetine totally because of restless leg syndrome, having read that restless leg syndrome is now believed to be caused by low dopamine levels, and there is a correlation between use of ssri's, low dopamine levels (ssri's encourage serotonin to stay in the synapse for longer, "elbowing out" dopamine, hence low dopamine) and restless legs. Ironically, many sites report one of the symptoms of paroxetine withdrawal to be - restless legs! Apparently this is due to the disruption of brain chemistry due to the reduction of serotonin in the synapses. I guess whether or not the sensations I am experiencing due to withdrawal can be classed as rls is down to semantics (or maybe there is a very specific definition?) and perhaps the difference for me is that prior to withdrawal the rls was only disruptive at night (due to natural dopamine cycles) - stopping me from sleeping - but the sensations I am feeling now come and go in waves, but when the waves come the sensation is there all the time for hours or even days (i.e. doesn't go away during the day).

• Administrator

There is no specific definition for Restless Leg Syndrome. It's another problem that used to be very rare but has been promoted for the purpose of selling drugs that happen to be dopaminergic. Dopamine may or may not have anything to do with the sensation, that's another manifestation of a "chemical imbalance" theory.

Quite often, the symptoms of restless legs are related to insufficient magnesium, potassium, or vitamin B12, or lack of exercise.

It's entirely possible taking Paxil or other psychiatric drugs might trigger restless legs, among other symptoms, as they are hormonal disruptors that affect the entire body. They often cause jaw clenching (bruxism) and other muscle tension, too. Also, symptoms of low B12 might cause someone to think he or she needs an antidepressant.

Stomach acid blockers (PPIs) such as Zantac or Pepcid also block the absorption of B12. Over time, this can result in a fairly serious deficiency. Strict vegetarianism can also lead to B12 deficiency, as B12 is found only in animal products. Vegetarians need to take a B12 supplement to compensate.

• Moderator Emeritus

I know that this is on old thread, but I've just registered and find this thread very very pertinent! I have decided to come off paroxetine totally because of restless leg syndrome, having read that restless leg syndrome is now believed to be caused by low dopamine levels, and there is a correlation between use of ssri's, low dopamine levels (ssri's encourage serotonin to stay in the synapse for longer, "elbowing out" dopamine, hence low dopamine) and restless legs. Ironically, many sites report one of the symptoms of paroxetine withdrawal to be - restless legs! Apparently this is due to the disruption of brain chemistry due to the reduction of serotonin in the synapses. I guess whether or not the sensations I am experiencing due to withdrawal can be classed as rls is down to semantics (or maybe there is a very specific definition?) and perhaps the difference for me is that prior to withdrawal the rls was only disruptive at night (due to natural dopamine cycles) - stopping me from sleeping - but the sensations I am feeling now come and go in waves, but when the waves come the sensation is there all the time for hours or even days (i.e. doesn't go away during the day).

When you have a chance, please post about yourself in the 'Introductions and updates' discussion.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• 2 years later...

Personally, I doubt it. In withdrawal, it's more likely transient nervous system dysregulation.

Alto, is it your belief that akathisia is a medication side effect and not a withdrawal symptom?  So, I guess what I am asking is do you think akathisia can occur once all medication has been withdrawn from?

1995 - 2015 antidepressants and antianxiety medicine
Multiple failed attempts to quit/taper anti d/anti anxiety meds since 2008

June 17, 2016 began prozac bridge to get off of effexor xr, stopped effexor xr on June 24, 2016, could not tolerate prozac due to severe side effects so I had to stop it  Currently...300 mg ER of lithium, 1 mg of estradiol, 60 mg propranolol ER, Fish oil 2 x a day, Magnesium Glycinate,  zinc, vitamin c, vitamin d, NAC

This is going to sound weird, but I came across an old wives remedy that involves putting a bar of soap under the sheet at the bottom of the bed. It is something to do with the alkali properties. Some people reported it helped (and they could not believe it!) others not. Wonder if anyone else had heard of this?

I posted this elsewhere, but repeating here.   I have had a kind of restless leg problem for some time.  For me it manifests itself as a cramping of the arches in my feet.  I have used foot straps to help with this, and they help a little, but not completely. 

I had read the anecdotes elsewhere about using a bar of soap and decided to try it.  I took a bar of Irish Spring (have also used Dove) and used a knife to slice it into several pieces.  I put the pieces in an old sock and made a knot in the end of the sock to keep the soap pieces in. I am placing this between my feet in the bed at night.  So far it seems to be working very well.  I have much less tendency to move my feet, and am sleeping better.  

The theory is that the volatile oils which give the soap its fragrance will permeate the skin and 'relax' the arch.  I also read that it loses its effect after a while and the soap needs to be renewed (or perhaps re broken).  So, I have replaced the soap pieces a couple of times.  

I have been using this for about two weeks and so far so good.  Just one person's experience.  Will try to update this after more time has passed to see if it continues to work.  I like it.  

1989 -1995: Nortriptlyline, then Zoloft.  1997: New psych Dr. T; ‘Weaned’ off Zoloft; medication carousel next 3 years. 

1998-1999: Open heart surgery; divorce; prostate cancer treatment.

1999-2001:  Horrible period, new psych Dr. B; hospitalizations, ECT; medication carousel: Paxil, Zyprexa, Lithobid, Depakote, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Nortriptyline, Lamictal, Serzone, Seroquel (what a mess).

January 2001, new psych Dr. R, whom I have been with ever since.  He saved my life after a long period of experimentation. Seroquel as high as 600mg; added Remeron & Paxil.

Stable last several years: Quetiapine 75mg, Mirtazapine 45mg, Paroxetine 30 mg, Clorazepate 3.75mg, L-methylfolate (Deplin) 15mg

2015: Weaned off of Quetiapine completely over several months; no problems.   

Paroxetine: 10/6/2015 - 30mg -> 20mg; 11/24/2015 - 20mg -> 15mg; 12/14/2015 -15mg -> 10mg; 1/29/2016 -10mg -> 5mg; 2/25/2016 5mg -> zero.  All under psychiatrist supervision. No ill effects seen so far as of 12/22/2016.   Continuing Mirtazapine and L-methylfolate.  

I have lost about 22 lbs. (207->185) over the last year or so; probably Paroxetine discontinuation (leptin effect). 

I also had leg problem. I used to wake up and wave my legs, because they felt like empty from knee below. It also happened during the day, and kept me heavily distracted. It wasn't painful but so akward it made me furious. The remedy for me was... water. Yeah, water with a litlle amount of himalayan salt. I started dringing 2 litres of water a day and leg problem vanished. I recommend book "Your body many cries for water" by Fereydoon Batmanghelidj, MD.

I don't want much with life. I want it leave me alone.

Medical history:

2005 - 2006 – diagnosis: OCD. Meds: sertraline (Setaloft), from 30 mg to 120 mg. Side effects: insomnia, anorexia (psychic inabillity to eat), obesity; some sleep medication (don't remember the name), side effects: halucination. 2007 – sertraline withdrawal by myself. Reducing the dose slowly (120 mg – 90 mg – 60 mg – 30 mg – 0 mg). Felt great for about a year. 2008 – diazepam, taking ocasionally if needed. 2010 – paroxetine (Seroxat, then: Parogen) for OCD. From 20 mg to 40 mg. Side effects: none. Piracetamum (Memotropil), side effects: general weakness. Withdrawal of piracetamum: after two years (none withdrawal syndrome). 2016 – attempt to withdraw paroxetine. Severe depression after month and a half. Insomnia, nervousness, loss of weight. Suicide thoughts. Returning to paroxetine in march. From 10 mg to 20 mg. Side effects: sudden suicide thoughts, serotonine syndrome, panic attacks. Other meds: Clonazepam 0,5 mg for three days (benzodiazepam), side effects: none; Alprazolamum (Xanax): from 0,25 mg to 0,5 mg; side effects: obstruction, acne, period stoppage. Withdraw after a month, side effects: one-day lasting histeria; Trazodonum (Trittico CR): from 75 mg to 25 mg. Side effects: somnolance. 2016, June – dropping the dose of paroxetine from 40 mg to 30 mg. Side effects: mood swings. Withdrawing Trazodonum from 25 mg to 0 mg. Side effects: wide mood swings and fretfulness for about a week; too rapid, don't recommend. Went back to 25 mg of trazodone and 40 mg of paroxetine. 2016, July - dropped trazodone by 10 %, went back to 25 mg after two weeks (cause: depresion). 2016, October - 10% paroxetine drop, leaving trazodone at 25 mg. 2016, November - second 10% paroxetine drop. 2017, October - 25 mg of paroxetine, 25 mg of trazodone. Boredom. Tired. No hope, no joy. For now.

Suplements: vitamins – C (600 mg), D3 (4500 IU), K2 (6400 IU), B15 (50 mg); hawaiian spirulina; fish collagen; fish oil (1 spoon); probiotic; magnesium (50 mg), selenium (200 mcg); flaxseed (1-2 spoons/day); minced milk thistle (1 spoon/day).

Diet: mostly vegan, gluten-free due to doctor's advice. Drinks: water, green tea, cistus incantus.

Books I recommendYour Body Many Cries for Water by Fereydoon Batmanghelidj; Hidden Therapies by Jerzy Zięba; Deadly Medicine and Organized Denial by Peter C. Gøtzsche; The Microbiom Solution by Robynne Chutkan; Urban Shaman and Mastering Your Hidden Self  by Serge Kahili King.

• 2 years later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

https://www.everydayhealth.com/sleep/triggers-that-make-restless-legs-worse.aspx

A number of medications can make RLS worse. In particular, anti-nausea drugs and sedating antihistamines (like Benadryl) block the brain’s dopamine receptors, causing restless legs symptoms. 

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 1 year later...

Yoga for restless legs

Found this video that might help someone. I haven’t tried it myself yet but I’m hoping to do that soon.

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

General history:

2005 - Present: Remeron, various dosage between 7.5mg to 30mg

2011 - 2014: Lexapro, 10/20mg

2014 - 2016: Zoloft, various dosages

2016 - 2018: Pristiq, various dosages

2018 - Present: Brintellix 10/20mg,  

2019: Klonopin, 0.125mg as needed. Successfully got off of it in December. Concerta XR, stopped in December.

November 2019 - January 2020: Latuda 9mg

December 2019 - Present: 30mg Dextroamphetamine (for ADHD, don't plan to get off of that for now) 

Updates: 

Brintellix: Reduced to 10mg in December 2019. Reduced to 5mg in January 2020. Upped to 7.5mg in February 2020.

So, currently: 7.5mg Remeron, 7.5mg Brintellix

• Moderator Emeritus

I can't find where it is at the moment, but there is another one that we suggest for anxiety called "legs up the wall".  The above video might exacerbate issues for people with lower back problems.  I know that I would not be able to do it.  I have not tried the legs up the wall position.  I am able to lie on my back with my lower legs horizontal on a regular chair which supports my lower back.  If you have back issues I suggest that you be very careful when trying out new exercises or stretches.

Edited by ChessieCat

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

Merged similar topics

• 11 months later...
On 6/26/2012 at 5:03 AM, InNeedOfHope said:

This works so well doctors recommend it, even though they don’t know why/how it works. It’s not 100%, but my dh learned it from another doc (he’s a family med dr.). It needs to be a new, just opened bar. I have had lots of success with it, as well as magnesium oil, but my rls was not from WD. It is certainly low risk!

I’ve also heard anecdotally that tylenol can help.

May 2019 started lexapro 2.5 mg; 2020 went to every other day; 2021 beginning of Mar, tried to stop but had insomnia; Mar 30, 2021 reinstated 1.25 ev other day, WD symptoms, not enough

April 19, 2021 started liquid, .85 mg/day; May 1, 2021 .8 mg/day; May 6, 2021 .75 mg/day; June 6, 2021 .7 mg/day, June 20, 2021 .65mg/day, June 30, 2021 .6mg/day, Jul 24 .55 mg/day, Oct 17 .5 mg/day, Dec 5- .45 mg/day; Jan 26, 2022- 4mg/day; April 18- .375 lex; April 24- .35 lex; April 29- .3 lex; Jun 12- .25 mg lex; Jun 28- .2 mg lex; Sept- .15 mg, Nov .1

June ‘23- PPPD started 🙁, Jun- .09, Jul- .08, Oct- .07, Dec- .06, Jan ‘24- .05!

Taking Magnesium, whole foods iron, & natural supplements as needed for sleep

On 11/25/2018 at 11:02 PM, ChessieCat said:

https://www.everydayhealth.com/sleep/triggers-that-make-restless-legs-worse.aspx

A number of medications can make RLS worse. In particular, anti-nausea drugs and sedating antihistamines (like Benadryl) block the brain’s dopamine receptors, causing restless legs symptoms. 

Yes, benadryl makes mine a little worse, & phenergan (antihistamine used for nausea) makes it SO MUCH worse. 

May 2019 started lexapro 2.5 mg; 2020 went to every other day; 2021 beginning of Mar, tried to stop but had insomnia; Mar 30, 2021 reinstated 1.25 ev other day, WD symptoms, not enough

April 19, 2021 started liquid, .85 mg/day; May 1, 2021 .8 mg/day; May 6, 2021 .75 mg/day; June 6, 2021 .7 mg/day, June 20, 2021 .65mg/day, June 30, 2021 .6mg/day, Jul 24 .55 mg/day, Oct 17 .5 mg/day, Dec 5- .45 mg/day; Jan 26, 2022- 4mg/day; April 18- .375 lex; April 24- .35 lex; April 29- .3 lex; Jun 12- .25 mg lex; Jun 28- .2 mg lex; Sept- .15 mg, Nov .1

June ‘23- PPPD started 🙁, Jun- .09, Jul- .08, Oct- .07, Dec- .06, Jan ‘24- .05!

Taking Magnesium, whole foods iron, & natural supplements as needed for sleep

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy