SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Gluten Sensitivity Vs. Celiac Disease Vs. Gluten Intolerance

compsports

Gluten Sensitivity Vs. Celiac Disease Vs. Gluten Intolerance By Monica Cassani

I have always had chronic nasal congestion. But over the past week, it has worsened so bad that I couldn't breath all through my sinuses.

I have tried to keep my diet free of gluten although I haven't been fanatical about it. But recently, due to the holiday goodies, I ate more than my usual amount and it seemed to correlate with an increase in symptoms.

Anyway, I can feel thing improving since I have really been careful. Of course, it will be a challenge going to a Christmas Eve dinner but not a surprise there.

I am also renewing my commitment to keep dairy products out. I am drinking cream with my coffee but that is it.

To those who celebrate, have a Merry Christmas.

CS

Edited by ChessieCat
transferred link from title to post

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Administrator

Yes - when I went religiously gluten free my allergies lifted and I no longer have asthma - no asthma - no asthma medication. After about 5 years of strict GF diet, no soy, no dairy and low sugar, I am able eat dairy without any problems and occasional soy does not bother me. Before healing the dairy alone would cause sinus problems or make me feel hung over.

2007 @ 375 mg Effexor - 11/29/2011 - 43.75 mg Effexor (regular) & .625 mg Xanax

200 mg Gabapentin 2/27/21 - 194.5 mg, 5/28/21 - 183 mg, 8/2/21 - 170 mg, 11/28/21 - 150 mg, 4/19/22 - 122 mg; 8//7/22 - 100 mg; 12/17 - 75mg; 8/17 - 45 mg; 10/16 40 mg
Xanax taper: 3/11/12 - 0.9375 mg, 3/25/12 - 0.875 mg, 4/6/12 - 0.8125 mg, 4/18/12 - 0.75 ; 10/16 40mg;

1/16 0.6875 mg; at some point 0.625 mg
Effexor taper: 1/29/12 - 40.625 mg, 4/29/12 - 39.875 mg, 5/11/12 - Switched to liquid Effexor, 5/25/12 - 38 mg, 7/6/12 - 35 mg, 8/17/12 - 32 mg, 9/14/12 - 30 mg, 10/19/12 - 28 mg, 11/9/12 - 26 mg, 11/30/12 - 24 mg, 01/14/13 - 22 mg. 02/25/13 - 20.8 mg, 03/18/13 - 19.2 mg, 4/15/13 - 17.6 mg, 8/10/13 - 16.4 mg, 9/7/13 - 15.2 mg, 10/19/13 - 14 mg, 1/15/14 - 13.2 mg, 3/1/2014 - 12.6 mg, 5/4/14 - 12 mg, 8/1/14 - 11.4 mg, 8/29/14 - 10.8 mg; 10/14/14 - 10.2 mg; 12/15/14 - 10 mg, 1/11/15 - 9.5 mg, 2/8/15 - 9 mg, 3/21/15 - 8.5 mg, 5/1/15 - 8 mg, 6/9/15 - 7.5 mg, 7/8/15 - 7 mg, 8/22/15 - 6.5 mg, 10/4/15 - 6 mg; 1/1/16 - 5.6 mg; 2/6/16 - 5.2 mg; 4/9 - 4.8 mg; 7/7 4.5 mg; 10/7 4.25 mg; 11/4 4.0 mg; 11/25 3.8 mg; 4/24 3.6 mg; 5/27 3.4 mg; 7/8 3.2 mg ... 10/18 2.8 mg; 1/18 2.6 mg; 4/7 2.4 mg; 5/26 2.15mg; 8/18 1.85 mg; 10/7 1.7 mg; 12/1 1.45 mg; 3/2 1.2 mg; 5/4 0.90 mg; 6/1 0.80 mg; 6/22 0.65 mg; 08/03 0.50 mg, 08/10 0.45 mg, 10/05 0.325 mg, 11/23 0.2 mg, 12/14 0.15 mg, 12/21 0.125 mg, 02/28 0.03125 mg, 2/15 0.015625 mg, 2/29/20 0.00 mg - OFF Effexor

I am not a medical professional - this is not medical advice. My suggestions are based on personal experience, reading, observation and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers

• Administrator

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I did the same thing. Had allergies and then went gluten free for a couple of years. I then started eating gluten again, but in moderation and I didn't get the symptoms again. I think it healed by staying off it for a while maybe. One thing gluten would do to me was make me extremely drowsy too.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Thanks everyone.

Unfortunately, I had another mostly sleepless night so I am not feeling too coherent.

But hopefully, at least getting back to the diet I was on will help.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I did the same thing. Had allergies and then went gluten free for a couple of years. I then started eating gluten again, but in moderation and I didn't get the symptoms again. I think it healed by staying off it for a while maybe. One thing gluten would do to me was make me extremely drowsy too.

Please be careful. Gluten-intolerance will come back on you with a vengeance. It isn't something that gets cured and is likely a reaction to hybrid or genetically modified wheat that has more protein in it than the human body was designed to handle.

When I was hospitalized for depression I didn't bother telling the intake worker that I was gluten-intolerant because I figured they couldn't accommodate the diet and I'd end up living on Jello. I got away with it for the ten days of hospitalization and a few months afterward, and then - WHAM!!! All the symptoms came back - the bloating, stomach cramps, et cetera.

Really, please consider going gluten-free for good and let your gut heal before you have symptoms again.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• 5 months later...

I’ve discovered that eliminating gluten has been critical in my care. I am still ruling out celiac disease. The hyper-sensitivity caused by the withdrawal syndrome, however may be what has made me radically sensitive to gluten at least for the time being. Much hyper-sensitivity caused by withdrawal syndromes actually clears up in time for most people. So if it is caused by the withdrawal syndrome it may indeed lighten up in time. Still, while one is actively hyper-sensitive, cleaning up the diet and healing the gut is imperative. I am currently grain-free. (all grains, as this video suggests is a good idea)

here's a post on this subject for those who are tinkering with their diets:

Gluten Sensitivity Vs. Celiac Disease Vs. Gluten Intolerance

http://wp.me/s5nnb-gluten

(something I didn't include in the post is that I recently discovered that my cat litter is wheat based and my daily inhalation of the dust was adding to the problem!! Our bodies are so sensitive! Some people with celiac are that sensitive as well and so I discovered that some of my symptoms where similar to those of people with inhalation exposures!)

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

Hi GiaK,

I agree that cleaning up our diet can have tremendous impact on overall health. Gluten sensitivity/intolerance may be far more prevalent than previous known. As to how to go about finding out if one is gluten sensitive, I can find no credible resources for this other than a diet of exclusion. Gluten-free diets may lead to nutritional deficiencies, so it is important to me that I don't make the mistake of jumping into this headfirst.

I am trying to get more information as to the credentials of Peter Osborne who runs the site Gluten Free Society. So far I have found that he is a chiropractor and "Clinical Nutritionist" (I have no idea what that means nor what the educational requirements of this are) as well as owns Town Center Wellness in Sugarland, Texas. Reviews of Town Center Wellness are mixed.

The site Gluten Free Society is filled with testimonials and offers for "membership" (fee required) as well as DNA testing ($385.00) for gluten sensitivity. I have no idea as to the validity of DNA testing for gluten sensitivity.

In so far as the site Gluten Free Society is concerned, I remain a "health skeptic", open to ideas, but want to see more research, especially when a site is for profit.

Still researching, and as always, buyer beware. :) Hugs, Annej

My Intro
2000-Effexor and Klonopin
April 2011- C/T Adderall, lithium, Seroquel, Lunesta; Pristiq and Klonopin cut by 1/2 due to med-induced "rapid cycling"
May 2011- Pristiq/Lexapro bridge/taper
June, 2011- K cut to 0.5 mg (doctor)
July 18, 2011 - Lexapro done
October 2011- K taper started
Jan, 2012- Off K, Remeron started -bad idea
March 2012- Horrific Tardive Akathisa/TD (Dx: TA versus withdrawal akathisia secondary to K w/d)
May 2012- Reinstatement of K
Current Psych Meds: Klonopin 2 mg + Propanolol 15 mg and titrating up
As of June 2013: TA gone or suppressed - struggling with tolerance to benzos - beta blocker helping

I can't find a good reason to do celiac testing...the DNA test only shows if one is predisposed, not if one has celiac...the gut and blood test produce LOTS of false negatives...there is no really reliable testing at this time.

so the elimination diet, at this time, is the only reliable means of truly knowing if one has these sensitivities as far as I can tell.

I don't necessarily endorse the site I shared...I got info there and I'm still collecting info always. I have a disclaimer on my site saying that I don't always agree with all info I share from all sources...it's an impossible thing to do in any case...no two human beings agree about everything

I eat an extremely varied diet and have been gluten free for over 2 years...there is absolutely no reason one should not get all their nutrients, unless, perhaps they are also vegetarian...that might run into problems...but there are vegan gluten free eaters out there...though I'm not convinced they can get all they need...

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

I posted about this on my blog a while back...supposedly there will soon be an accurate test...who knows...always skeptical about such news...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/06/120606092619.htm

I can't find a good reason to do celiac testing...the DNA test only shows if one is predisposed, not if one has celiac...the gut and blood test produce LOTS of false negatives...there is no really reliable testing at this time.

so the elimination diet, at this time, is the only reliable means of truly knowing if one has these sensitivities as far as I can tell.

I don't necessarily endorse the site I shared...I got info there and I'm still collecting info always. I have a disclaimer on my site saying that I don't always agree with all info I share from all sources...it's an impossible thing to do in any case...no two human beings agree about everything

I eat an extremely varied diet and have been gluten free for over 2 years...there is absolutely no reason one should not get all their nutrients, unless, perhaps they are also vegetarian...that might run into problems...but there are vegan gluten free eaters out there...though I'm not convinced they can get all they need...

With what I have researched so far, I agree with your statements as to the reliability factor of celiac testing.

I did read your disclaimer, continue to read your disclaimer, very much appreciate your disclaimer, and yet I found myself sucked into the Glutenfreesociety site nonetheless. Very much human nature, especially when one is suffering. I honestly don't know if Osborne's video explanation has scientific validity or not. But, I am most pleased that you have seen progress with changing your diet. So much information out there. It's difficult for me to separate the "wheat from the chaff" (pun intended).

:) Hugs, Annej

My Intro
April 2011- C/T Adderall, lithium, Seroquel, Lunesta; Pristiq and Klonopin cut by 1/2 due to med-induced "rapid cycling"
March 2012- Horrific Tardive Akathisa/TD (Dx: TA versus withdrawal akathisia secondary to K w/d)
As of June 2013: TA gone or suppressed - struggling with tolerance to benzos - beta blocker helping

most of what Osborne talks about (as far as I can tell -- in this video, in any case) is in keeping with Chris Kresser and also paleo diet sites that talk about the problems with grains...

I do pretty much endorse Chris Kresser... I really respect the body of work he's developed.

I haven't actually spent much time on Osborne's site!

http://chriskresser.com/

I've been following Chris since he was still getting his degree...now he's a bonafide big shot...but I knew him back when... :)

I found Kressler's site thanks to your blog! It's my "go to" for his Paleo "template" interpretation of the Paleo diet. I also like your link to Nom Nom Paleo! I am a huge fan of your site as well! My only regret is that I did not find your site until after my very much bungled attempt to extricate myself from all the drugs. However, better late than too never. :) Hugs, Annej

My Intro

• 9 months later...

I found that although I do NOT have celiac disease I indeed am sensitive to gluten and was recommened I go gluten free

I had an endoscopy done on Tuesday and they took biopsy of stomach for H-pylori...my stomach is very inflamed

never had a chance to ask dr if this could be causing my zoloft not to work because I am not absorbing it correctly?

anyone have any experiance with this?

He did say that if I dont have H-pylori then my stomach inflammation is caused by stress and anxiety...UGH

2006-2012 50mgs zoloft
skipped doses every other day for a year and started having anxiety again in March 2012
back on at 50mgs Dec 2013
started taper from benzos April 2014 per Heather Ashton method (c/o from kpin to diazepam)
March 2015 started 1.25mg lorazepam
Tapered off Zoloft in May off in 4 weeks...5 weeks later crashing AGAIN. Dr wanted to start Gabapentin tried it 7 days
Symptoms :burning eyes, anxiety, pounding heart, dizzy, strange head feeling, internal shaking, Overall UNWELL
Taking lorazepam 1.25mg daily

I think H-pylori and gluten sensitivity can create symptoms that mimic depression--like fatigue, mood swings, irritability, depressed mood. I don't know about affecting SSRIs though. Have you tried getting rid of gluten in your diet? If it helps your mood, it might be a cause. But we aware, eliminating gluten might not solve everything. I've read it might be an over-rated solution. Personally, I'm too attached to certain foods to even try...

Tapering Zoloft, Dec 2014

Started Lamictal

Re-started Zoloft mid-Oct 2014, 25-50mg

Stopped Zoloft end of Sept 2014

Started Zoloft July 2014, 50mg

Stopped Prozac from 3mg May 2014

Stopped Effexor Dec '13 Started 10mg Prozac

Reinstated Effexor 15mg on Nov 2013

Stopped from 21mg on Oct 2013
Effexor 112.5mg, since Dec 2012

• Moderator Emeritus

I found that although I do NOT have celiac disease I indeed am sensitive to gluten and was recommened I go gluten free...

He did say that if I dont have H-pylori then my stomach inflammation is caused by stress and anxiety...UGH

I'm confused by this last statement. Gluten intolerance can cause inflammation of the digestive tract without any help from bacteria or stress and anxiety, so ruling out H-pylori doesn't necessarily leave "stress and anxiety" as the only possible cause of digestive tract inflammation. There's still gluten intolerance as a suspect and probably quite a few other things of which medicine is presently completely ignorant. The state of the medical art is not nearly as advanced as medical professionals would like us to believe, and the medical arts are nowhere near qualifying as a science.

There are many people on this forum who have gluten intolerance among other things which may have contributed to depression. Whether gluten intolerance would interfere with an SSRI is a question that I doubt has been answered yet, but gluten intolerance causes nutritional deficiencies that can cause us to be more susceptible to disease in general. It's just my opinion, but because an SSRI is in no way a nutrient I doubt gluten intolerance interferes with how well it might work. I do hope that you'll come to understand that SSRI drugs do not "cure" depression and that they do more harm than good, so if gluten or something else interferes with them, so what? That's probably a good thing. Antidepressants are mostly a bad idea, very harmful drugs which the medical establishment encourages but doesn't understand.

Your body and brain have been through a lot with all of your medications and dosage changes. It's going to take some time - probably more than you're going to like - to experience stability. I'm sorry to say that there is very little that helps the withdrawal process and healing along except for high quality fish oil and magnesium supplements, and the going is still quite slow. There's just no magic to be found.

But hang in there nonetheless. Life does get better, just not as fast as we would like.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• 4 years later...

Can withdrawal trigger celiac disease?. 

Since my brain fog is not improving and I have developed allergies to some other things, I wonder if I might have some food allergy like celiac disease. Has somebody checked if they have celiac disease?

About me ------------------------ College student with a history of anxiety, excessive worrying and health anxiety.

April 2014 - May 2015----------    Prozac 20mg On and Off.  Second time on it I developed apathy, changes in personality, asexuality.

May 2015  -   July 2015-----------------  Tappering off prozac. Still no feelings,anhedonia, apathy, no libido, asexuality.

Current symptoms--------  pssd (asexuality in my case). Anxiety and depression developed some months afer stopping prozac, could have been caused by obsessing and beating myself up too much when I found myself unable to like girls again. The best thing to do with pssd (which in my case is asexuality) is accept it and move on.

• 2 years later...

Gluten intolerance/sensitivity since tapering

Hey all,

I have been tapering Olanzapine (antipsychotic) for 9 months now, and in the last couple months have noticed that when I consume gluten for dinner, it drastically affects my sleep. If I just have a low dose (like a small pitta bread), I get a really heavy heart beat and slightly increased heart rate, which makes falling asleep very difficult. When I have a big dose (like pizza) I have the same plus it feels like my throat is closing up and I struggle to breathe and I can't sleep at all. It's even caused insomnia for several nights after.

I'm obviously now avoiding gluten in the evening but just wondered if anyone else found this? Find it strange it doesn't bother me in the day.

Wondering if I should take a gluten test at my doctors, but 'worried' it will come back negative and I'll be told it's all in my head (it definitely isn't)...

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

31st May - 11th Aug '18: Olanzapine 2.5mg, Seroquel 50mg

12th Aug - 18th Aug '18: Olanzapine 2.4mg, Seroquel 50mg

18th Aug - present '18: Olanzapine 2.3mg, Seroquel 50mg

22 Sept '18: Olanzapine 2.2mg, Seroquel 50mg

01 Oct '18: Olanzapine 2.1mg, Seroquel 50mg

09 Oct '18: Olanzapine 2.0mg, Seroquel 50mg

28 Oct '18: Olanzapine 1.8mg, Seroquel 50mg

09 Nov'18: Olanzapine 1.6mg, Seroquel 50mg

1 Dec '18: Olanzapine 1.5mg, Seroquel 50mg

27 Dec '18: Olanzapine 1.4mg, Seroquel 50mg

02 Feb '19: Olanzapine 1.3mg, Seroquel 50mg

Sorry for my english. I am Russian.I didnt find it strange at all. Olanazapine have very strong antigistamine effect. Gistamine its hormone that our body release when we have allergy reaction on something.  After long term use of any antihistamine drug gistamine receptors become hypersensetive , that means that u can become too sensetive to allergens including some food. So its not in your head.  It will take some time for your receptors to return to normal state when your taper is over.  Good luck. 

2017 - july 2018 - phenazepam 1mg  when needed (kindling)

aug 2018 - phenazepam 1mg , escitalopram 5mg daily. 

september 2018 - CT from benzo and escitalopram, olanazapine 5mg for 3 days with no effect. Reinstated benzo 1mg , felt better and CT after few days.

october 2018 - mirtazapine (remeron)30mg

november 2018 - mirtazapine stopped working for sleep, Mirtazapine CT, then reinstated and  CT (two weeks) Reinstated benzo and CT after week

december 2018 -  seroquel 25 then 50mg, fluvoxamine several days (blurred vision), clomiprine 1 pill (seizure), amitriptyline 25 or  75 several days.

january- 2019 - seroquel 50mg started building tolerance , so took 75-100 sometimes, depakote  300mg  then 600, then 750 mg, started building tolerance too.

february 2019 - CT seroquel, CT depakote.

Feb- March 2019 - Almost no sleep for few weeks.  Took doxylamine several times.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Gluten Sensitivity Vs. Celiac Disease Vs. Gluten Intolerance
  • 1 year later...

For those who have experienced gut issues after being on zoloft/sertraline, have you found that complex/processed carbs (eg bread, pasta, etc) have caused issues for your gut? And if so, has going gluten-free helped this at all? I'm now at the point where eating toast or pasta makes me quite ill afterwards with bloating, stomach cramps, & diarrhoea. 

Jan 2020-now - Tranexamic acid and 800mg ibuprofen for heavy periods

2015-2020 - Sertraline (Zoloft) - started at 25mg, went up to 200mg, tapered back down to 75mg, off in August 2020 (don't recall dates)

2015-now - Ritalin on and off as needed

2015 for 6 months - (before Sertraline) a month on Lithium, list of others I can't recall, Quetiapine (period of psych trying me on different drugs to see what would 'work')

Supplements: Probiotics | Magnesium + zinc + B6 | Hemp seed oil (omega-3) | Ferrograd (iron) + vitamin C | Collagen 

Intro topic: lostmysock: Sertraline 5 years, off since August 2020

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy