SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Amino acids

Francis

Hi all- Im new here and am wondering if anyone has tried/knows about amino acid therapy to support the withdrawal process from antidepressants? I read an article by Dr. Johnathan Wright that discusses amino acid therapy as an alternative to antidepressants and/or as support while tapering off of antidepressants. He describes being tested for amino acid levels and then supplementing according to the results.

I am seeing a naturopath and had the amino acid testing done and am just starting supplementation, so I dont have results to add just yet.

Thanks for any feedback!

Francis

2003-2010 up and down 10-40mg celexa for anxiety
2/2011 10mg
8/2011 5mg for 3 wks, then stopped completely.
middle of night waking after apx 1-2 hours of sleep (nightly), panic/jitteriness after waking
11/11 back on 30mg celexa, ambien/many supplements-insomnia/panic.
2/12 30mg celexa, many supplements (Magnesium eliminated morning tight chest/jitteriness). Off ambien!
7/12 20mg
8/12 15 mg(sleep improving,mood pos)
12/12 2.3 mg got liquid celexa!
1/13 2.1 mg
3/13 1.2 mg
4/13 down to .6 too quickly- cortisol spikes, middle of night waking, night sweats...
4/13 held at .6 for 3 weeks so far. Off most supplements as well. Withdrawal depression almost gone!

7/13 OFF OF CELEXA!!!

• Administrator

Withdrawal is an entirely different animal from plain ol' depression.

Remedies that are supposed to treat depression, including amino acids, often backfire in people whose nervous systems are sensitized by withdrawal.

Your mileage may definitely vary taking any amino acid. If you must, try them one at a time and drastically reduced dosages so if you have a bad reaction, it won't be too horrible.

Food or whey protein isolate is the best way to get amino acids.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Yes, I'd be careful with it during withdrawal. I am using it right now as I'm not in withdrawals right now. I'm not having any trouble but at the time when I was in w/d from Paxil, I'm sure I couldn't have handled it. I couldn't take hardly anything but Fish Oil, and a little Calcium and Magnesium.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all- Im new here and am wondering if anyone has tried/knows about amino acid therapy to support the withdrawal process from antidepressants? I read an article by Dr. Johnathan Wright that discusses amino acid therapy as an alternative to antidepressants and/or as support while tapering off of antidepressants. He describes being tested for amino acid levels and then supplementing according to the results.

I am seeing a naturopath and had the amino acid testing done and am just starting supplementation, so I dont have results to add just yet.

Thanks for any feedback!

Francis

I have been doing amino acid therapy for a year and a half. I first started them when I was in withdrawal from zoloft (but did not recognize it as withdrawal nor did the doc) and I initially felt wonderful. I started with 5htp, then tyrosine. Overall, they have helped and if I do not take them, then I feel horrible for sure. I read that it is not recommended to use neurotransmitter manipulating supplements while in withdrawal, but I get in such bad shape that I try anything.

For now, I can say that I have had positive results using aminos. I am still not out of the woods yet, though. I still have many bad days and have been off AD for about four months. In previous Ad withdrawals (all have been done pretty quickly because of the doc's ignorance or my own), I was unable to stay off the drugs more than a month or so. This time around (fast withdrawal again), it has been four months and I am still going ahead even though some days are really bad. So, it seems that the nutrients I take along with the aminos, have been helping me but by no means have they eliminated withdrawal symptoms.

Various SSRIs/SNRIs 7- 1/2 years

Went Cold Turkey from Celexa 2011, Stayed Off

Psych Drug Free and Loving Life (over 6 years and counting)

How I Stay Well: Diet, exercise, meditation, supplements, etc

I've had reactions to the protein poweders (even undenatured). Now I avoid entirely. Agree that mileage will vary. My advice would be start low and go from there.

I've tried L'Theanine which helps me fall asleep and clears some cloudiness. It may also help during benzo taper to come. This was suggested by a physician familiar with disorder after overDrugging.

L'Arginine has also helped me with sex problems but it causes other problems and is not appropriate for me given my history of eye trauma following erectile dysfunction interventions. I'd be wary and start low if interested.

Alex

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Also, I am skeptical of anyone who pretends to understand my withdrawal syndrome. The best doctors are open that they can't see inside my neuromolecular transactions and can't guarantee anything, that the waters are moreorless uncharted and it's always best to be cautious, low doses, etc. The confident doctors have simple fixes (which they sell well) and these treatments have only messed me up.

Since it's not likely for the average Joe to luck into a good doctor, it is important to protect yourself. This requires a bit of a dance since doctors are such delicate flowers as concerns their egos, but for the patient the proper posture boils down to simply exercising caution, remembering that it's your health and body thus you're the boss and checking a lot of stuff on the web.

Alex

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

• 5 months later...

Are there any bad side effects to taking extra aminos to help with withdrawals? Sorry, all of this stuff is new to me and I started on the Empower program and they have me taking loads of Aminos everyday and I am just not sure now about this program after reading the article on here about it. I was a bit skeptical at first because the ingredients are easily found in most multi vitamins.

Tapered off Cymbalta 30mg., Oxycodone, Klonopin 4mg. down to .25 mg a day. Previously on multiple ssri's, snri's, lithium, anti-seizure drugs. Medicated for 25 years for depression, which changed to bi-polar after start of anti-depressants. Suffering anxiety since starting the TrueHope program, tapered off drugs in less than a month...too quickly. On long term disability for several years now. Hyper-Sensitive to most drugs and vitamins.

Whimsy,

I think aminos can have a role. Best to try one at a time to see how they effect you.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Administrator

Agree with Barb. Some people react badly to certain aminos, it's best to try them one by one to see how they affect you.

Personally, I prefer a balanced diet and perhaps whey protein isolate rather than taking amino acids.

Your body can take what it needs from foods and food-like supplements. Amino acid supplements can be too strong and be a waste of money.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I cannot take the whey protein isolate as I am allergic to dairy and got sick when I took it. I did not react well on the rice protein isolate either.

I am not really sure what i am looking for as a reaction to the aminos. I have been taking the Aminos from True Hope for about three months now and am not sure if they are causing problems because I started all of the vitamins and things they recommended all at the same time.

I wish I had introduced one thing at a time so I would be able to monitor reactions better. I started tapering off the drugs at the same time as per their recommendations.

I did find initially that Inositol helped my anxiety but am finding that it now makes the anxiety worse so i have stopped taking that.

I am taking so many supplements at the moment that it is hard to know what is doing what.

I am taking Empower Plus, Aminos, BMD(calcium supplement), p. choline, salmon oil, greens concentrate, menosmart, evening primrose, and drugs 6mcg. cytomel (t3), .25 mg. clonazepam.

Tapered off Cymbalta 30mg., Oxycodone, Klonopin 4mg. down to .25 mg a day. Previously on multiple ssri's, snri's, lithium, anti-seizure drugs. Medicated for 25 years for depression, which changed to bi-polar after start of anti-depressants. Suffering anxiety since starting the TrueHope program, tapered off drugs in less than a month...too quickly. On long term disability for several years now. Hyper-Sensitive to most drugs and vitamins.

• Administrator

Correct, that's exactly the problem with taking a lot of supplements at once, or supplements containing several ingredients.

If you think a supplement is not agreeing with you, reduce it or stop it.

If you're also taking a multivitamin, you don't need EmpowerPlus.

What is the rationale and/or experience with whey protein?

1994-2009 50-100 mg Zoloft (plus tried Effexor, Lexapro, Wellbutrin at times)
5/'09-7/'09 taper off Zoloft
7/'09-12/'09 no zoloft, rough times after ~ 2 mos.
1/'10-6/'10 50 mg zoloft
6/'10-1/'11 slow taper
2/'11-7/'11 off entirely, ok for 2-3 mos., then rough
7/'11-9/'11 50 mg
9/15/'11 - 11/15/'11 taper off
11/15/'11 - 2/'11 clean, doing well but with some PSSD
2/'11 - 6/'11 depression creeps back, fairly significant by May.

6/'14 (long time...!)  life is good, full recovery, at least in terms of SSRI addiction.  Still digging out from the social and professional hole that it all left me in, but despite the loss of far too many years to this business I'm basically doing pretty well.  Still some depression at times, even severe on occasion, but clearly related to past trauma and current circumstances, all things that I am continuing to work through and work on.  I'd say it took at least six months and perhaps a year to fully get back to normal (neuro-psychologically and sexually) after the last dose in 2011.

Whey protein isolate is supposed to help with withdrawal symptoms but it must say isolate on it or it wont work.

Well I am thoroughly confused now because I was reading an article on mental illness this morning and they were saying that research is showing that the aminos can actually help mental illness...no talk about vitamins helping just the aminos.

I decided to try the empowerplus (multivitamin) on its own and see if i had any kind of reaction to it as in the past they have lowered my dose (True hope) because they felt it might be giving me more anxiety. I only took two tabs, usually i take 4 at a time, and got very jittery after a while.

Whimsy,

There are many substances - aminos, vitamins (Bs in particular), minerals - that lack of can cause WHAT LOOKS LIKE "mental illness". So, your info is not incorrect. Doctors don't routinely check for vitamin deficiencies or hormone imbalances prior to diagnosing "mental illness". Underactive thyroid can look like depression. Overactive thyroid can look like anxiety or mania/bipolar. The amino acids ARE precursors to neurotransmitters and many companies are attempting to sell a "more natural" fix. The truth is that there is no known "balance" of neurotransmitters or amino acids.

Some are activating (tyrosine, phenylalanine are just two) and others tend to be calming (GABA, melatonin, tryptophan). And they can all act differently on different people, at different times, and in varying combos.

I hope that helps a bit.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Thank you platinum star.

Your history sounds very similair to mine. I am still trying to figure out how to post mine. i will get it done.

• Administrator

enufodat, whey protein isolate is a concentrated form of whey protein. In a food-like form, it contains a range of amino acids (components of protein) that your nervous system can use to repair itself.

I personally had an excellent experience with whey protein isolate. It definitely helped for a while, although it didn't get me all the way there.

whimsy, as I posted in your topic:

You don't have mental illness, you have withdrawal symptoms. These are entirely different.

Please read this http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1008-intro-to-antidepressant-withdrawal-syndrome/.

Whatever might help "mental illness" might make withdrawal symptoms worse (this is where Truehope goes wrong, IMHO). Too many of those supplements are stimulating, while your nervous system needs calming.

We have topics here about various amino acids (l-theanine, etc.) -- you might see which have helped people, although anyone may react differently.

Very interesting. I actually have some whey protein supplement that contains: "Protein blend (whey protein isolates, whey protein concentrate, whey peptides)." It shows a breakdown of 18 amino acids. Is this the right sort of thing, or would it be better to use a pure whey protein isolate, without the other stuff? Any suggestions on how much to use?

I actually used this, along with creatine, for weight-training last year (before my rotator cuff acted up; it's always something) and was amazed at how much difference it made, having always thought the whole weight-lifting supplement thing was bunk.

Last question. I always thought that any "complete" protein (meat, dairy, fish, etc.) had by definition a full range of amino acids. Is that not right? Is whey unusual in its composition? Or perhaps more available/absorbable?

THANKS,

E

1994-2009 50-100 mg Zoloft (plus tried Effexor, Lexapro, Wellbutrin at times)
5/'09-7/'09 taper off Zoloft
7/'09-12/'09 no zoloft, rough times after ~ 2 mos.
1/'10-6/'10 50 mg zoloft
6/'10-1/'11 slow taper
2/'11-7/'11 off entirely, ok for 2-3 mos., then rough
7/'11-9/'11 50 mg
9/15/'11 - 11/15/'11 taper off
11/15/'11 - 2/'11 clean, doing well but with some PSSD
2/'11 - 6/'11 depression creeps back, fairly significant by May.

6/'14 (long time...!)  life is good, full recovery, at least in terms of SSRI addiction.  Still digging out from the social and professional hole that it all left me in, but despite the loss of far too many years to this business I'm basically doing pretty well.  Still some depression at times, even severe on occasion, but clearly related to past trauma and current circumstances, all things that I am continuing to work through and work on.  I'd say it took at least six months and perhaps a year to fully get back to normal (neuro-psychologically and sexually) after the last dose in 2011.

• Administrator

You could start with the whey protein you have. Pure whey protein isolate is more concentrated and stronger; I definitely felt the difference.

Adding a protein supplement gives an added protein boost to a balanced diet. There is some evidence (see the GAPS, Paleo, etc. diet topic) that a protein-heavy diet is beneficial to healing.

Thank you altostrata. You are right my body does not need stimulation...it needs calming and I am finding that the TrueHope stuff is way too stimulating. In one of your other posts you mentioned going back on the cymbalta...maybe 10 pellets to help with withdrawal symptoms. I noticed it said in the article you recommended that you should do that sooner than later and I have been off all drugs for 73 days which is over two months so is it too late to add them back in and should I just tough it out. My biggest worry is going back through all of the horrible side effects that I suffered with on this drug.

At the moment my worst symptom is anxiety. The klonopin that I went back on seems to be taking care of that. I am able to cope well and function when I take the klonopin.

• Administrator

If I were you, I'd try 10 pellets of Cymbalta.

Thanks for the advice and sorry I am not all that familiar with how these sites work. i will message people through the discussions and not privately. I am not that computer savvy and it takes me a while to figure out how the different sites work. I appreciate you taking the time to message me.

I am going off the vitamins and taking the klonopin and I will taper very, very slowly off the klonopin. I will try the 10 percent recommendation. Slept very well again last night and did not take any supplements again at bedtime. I think the supplements were too stimulating for my system at this time. Have decided to have more protein in my diet at the moment.

THank you for all of the advice.

That's good to hear, Whimsy. Sleep deprivation is hard.

A good individualized vitamin/mineral supplement regimen can be beneficial. It doesn't substitute for a slow, careful taper. Didnt mean to throw the baby out with the bathwater. ;)

No, you didn't do that. I had been wondering if the supplements were hindering my sleep and possibly causing me some anxiety. I stopped the supplements at bedtime two nights in a row and slept good both those nights. I had been taking aminos, phosphatidyl choline, and calcium, sometimes valerian combo to try and help with sleep at bedtime but noticed that my sleep was getting worse and i even resorted to sleep meds to try and get some sleep.

Now, i am experimenting with the multi-vitamin and noticed that as soon as i take them i get jittery so I am cutting them out of my routine for now and will gradually add them back in one at a time and see what happens. I took some aminos today and had protein for breakfast and am feeling good today.

thank you

• 1 year later...

I cannot take whey protein and I can tolerate amino acids. maybe there are more people like this? and I didn't find a topic about amino acids.

I have noticed a slight improvement in my mood about half an hour after taking amino acids. I was wondering, if I'm just imagining it :) I'll continue to monitor myself to see how it goes.

in 2002- 0,5 tablet cipramil for half a year, ended it uneventfully. in 2006 - citalopram for half a year, ended in horrific state, ditched the drugs CT. 2007-2008 not feeling well but drug free. in 2008 prozac 20mg + quetiapine 25mg. 2009 tried to stop, ended up in hole after couple of months, started zoloft. 2009-2011 zoloft 50mg. went to 25mg in 2011 summer, it resulted in half a year horrible suffering. reinstated, changed drugs, nothing happened. by 2012 beginning suddenly felt great and CT meds. after 4 months came suddenly most horrible human suffering that's possible. was started on prozac and questiapine. started tapering slowly, GFCF diet and Hardy Nutritionals vitamins in 2013 summer. 

current medications: 1) fluoxetine and quetiapine since Aug 2012; 2) Daily Essential Nutrients by Hardy Nutritionals 7 capsules / since May 2013 + omega3; 3) Gluten-free-casein-free diet since june 2013

Started withdrawing slowly since april 2013. Mostly around 10% cuts. 

April'13 - March'14: fluoxetine 40mg -> 19,5mg; quetiapine 50mg -> 40mg
April'14-March'15: fluoxetine 19,5mg -> 14,4mg; quetiapine 40mg -> 22mg

April'15-March'16: fluoxetine 14,4mg -> 7,4mg; quetiapine 22mg -> 15mg

April'16-March'17: fluoxetine 7,4mg -> 5,0mg; quetiapine 15mg -> 7,25mg

April'17-March'18: fluoxetine 5,0mg -> 4,0mg; quetiapine 7,25mg -> 0 (as of 1st Feb 2018)!!!!

April´18-March´19: fluoxetine 4,0mg - > 2,3mg. Jumped off fluoxetine 1,4mg due to pregnancy in July 2019. Oct 2019 severe withdrawal syndrome started.

Took mistakenly a complex for hormonal support that included pregnenolone dec2019-april2020. Stopped it april 2020 and immediately severe akathisia started. Have had life threatening akathisia since, 100% disabled, suicidal, very hard to hold on. 

• Administrator

I've now taken free form amino acid complex and I must say, it has helped me enormously! I'm feeling so much better just in a week. I sleep better, my mood is better, and I'm not so tired. for me, this works.

But I'm not sure if it's this alone, since I'm also taking a strong vitamin-mineral complex, Hardy Nutritionals Daily Essential Nutrients (same as Empowerplus) and I'm on gluten free casein free diet. also, it seems that I haven't got that sensitive to different things like food or vitamins, since I can tolerate the vitamin complex. I mention those things because my situation may be a little bit different. but I'm happy, that aminos are so helpful for me!

in 2002- 0,5 tablet cipramil for half a year, ended it uneventfully. in 2006 - citalopram for half a year, ended in horrific state, ditched the drugs CT. 2007-2008 not feeling well but drug free. in 2008 prozac 20mg + quetiapine 25mg. 2009 tried to stop, ended up in hole after couple of months, started zoloft. 2009-2011 zoloft 50mg. went to 25mg in 2011 summer, it resulted in half a year horrible suffering. reinstated, changed drugs, nothing happened. by 2012 beginning suddenly felt great and CT meds. after 4 months came suddenly most horrible human suffering that's possible. was started on prozac and questiapine. started tapering slowly, GFCF diet and Hardy Nutritionals vitamins in 2013 summer. 

current medications: 1) fluoxetine and quetiapine since Aug 2012; 2) Daily Essential Nutrients by Hardy Nutritionals 7 capsules / since May 2013 + omega3; 3) Gluten-free-casein-free diet since june 2013

April'17-March'18: fluoxetine 5,0mg -> 4,0mg; quetiapine 7,25mg -> 0 (as of 1st Feb 2018)!!!!

April´18-March´19: fluoxetine 4,0mg - > 2,3mg. Jumped off fluoxetine 1,4mg due to pregnancy in July 2019. Oct 2019 severe withdrawal syndrome started.

Took mistakenly a complex for hormonal support that included pregnenolone dec2019-april2020. Stopped it april 2020 and immediately severe akathisia started. Have had life threatening akathisia since, 100% disabled, suicidal, very hard to hold on. 

• Administrator

What exactly is a free form amino acid complex?

free form amino acids are pure, powdered form of amino acids that require no digestion and get into the blood very quickly, in 15 minutes. if you google "free form amino acids" or "amino acid therapy" you get some results.

Here's a copy paste explanation: "all individual amino acids in their free (pre-digested) form can effectively be supplied by mouth. They enter the brain/body network quickly, unlike vitamins or minerals that slowly build their levels over days or weeks. Free form aminos are pre-digested to absorb immediately without any need of digestive enzymes. They go to work at once in all of the metabolic pathways where they are needed."

I am taking this complex http://www.hardynutritionals.com/products/2-free-form-aminos

• Administrator

When purchasing supplements, always look carefully at the Supplement Facts (ingredients), for example http://www.hardynutritionals.com/products/2-free-form-aminos#product-supplement-facts

This supplement contains some vitamins, too. Some people might have problems with the B vitamins in it, particularly Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine 5-phosphate). This can be very activating.

• 1 year later...

Has anyone used Branched Chain Amino Acids (leucine, isoleucine, valine) to help with withdrawal from SSRI's?  They are supposed to help prevent muscle breakdown (rhabdomyolysis ?sp? & SSRI's) and are a serotonin antagonist....if any good for symptoms, what dose, how often....any ideas?

thx, SB

Retired in  May, 2010, still working part time  as Occupational Therapist in North Toronto Community Health Clinic - 6 family practice docs + vrs allied health professionals. I was resp. for  home or clinic "Barrier-free" patient population, i.e. CP/MS/MD/spinal cord inj/disease pts.- independent living but requiring Attendant Care - power wheelchair dependent people/; also Seniors' Advisory Ctte./Advocacy staff liaison to Board; [received good evaluation on mandatory College of OT's practice review].   Otherwise, stayed active in bicycling,  gym,  yoga, walking, theatre volunteering.  Enjoyed eating out in mid-level restaurants, liked my city on Lake Ontario. Enjoyed travel to Stratford, ON, time spent with friends and on farm.    I was not on any Rx drugs, no health problems, but took lots of health food dietary vitamins and supplements - stupid me [same corporations, same profit motive, no regulation of product by governmental or other oversight body.

• I think dietary supplement SAMe either triggered or contributed to sudden and accelerating deterioration into Parkinsonism, esp. late in 2011- I have  since found several scientific journal articles to support my opinion - all of my 5 doctors (family doc and 4 neurologists ignored it.)
  • Diagnosed at two major Toronto hospitals with "Idiopathic Parkinsonism" in early 2012.
  • Primary sympt. at that time:  rigidity, spasticity, slowness, deteriorating cursive writing, shaking arms/hands, severe burning pain in feet/knees/back, severe insomnia - no tremor at that time.
  • First Rx drug: generic sinemet [Apo-levocarb] 100/25  (3x/day) April 21, 2012. This drug was never very effective; only had ~ 1 hr ''ON" time, no matter the dose./timing. Sometimes sinemet seemed to make things worse rather than better, i.e. more muscle tone./cogwheeling/severe night sweats/low blood pressure.  
  • Next Rx drug; Zopiclone; neuro said it was NOt a  benzo., but worked on same receptors, therefore she never warned me re withdrawal problems. Took it for ~ 3 years nearly every night. Seemed to work well.
  • Third RX drug: Lorazepam. I asked Neuro for it as it seemed to make the levocarb work better and helped wth anxiety.  Neuro advised it was addictive, but never explained about tolerance, withdrawal, down-regulation of receptors. I took 0.25 mg once or twice a WEEK at first and that tiny amound helped for a day at least.
  • Fourth RX drug: Mirapex. i was still plagued by mostly "down" time with rigidity and non-movement disorders, so agreed to try Mirapex.  i never got up to the therapeutic dose (near threshold) because it made me so sick and it seemed to make things worse, i.e. more muscle tone, problems with balance, severe nausea.  Read manufacturer's monograph updated to 2012 and decided the risk was worth it, benefit unlikely.

My self-initiated withdrawals.  Every time i've changed one drug, i've had to make changes in the others too, e.g. at 20 mg Citalopram i had too much sinemet (dyskinesias) so i lowered sinemet to ~1000 mg and that was better.  Also, as Citalopram has gone down, Lorazepam has had to increase 'cause it seem not to last as long or work as well.

• So on my own, I decided to taper off Mirapex, not knowing a thing about withdrawal problems. Whew!  Thanks to zopiclone and increased frequency and dose of Lorazepam, i got off Mirapex in March 2013.
  • Next I took myself off Zopiclone after reading very negative things about its' long-term use.  I was doing this without guidance or help from MD's. I increased sinemet and lorazepam to cope with the withdrawal effects of Zopiclone. Going off Zopiclone made PD symptoms worse; neuro wanted to put me on Entacapone, but i declined it.

More MD's/more problems with Rx drugs.

• Zopiclone withdrawal + Incr. levocarb and incr. lorazepam landed me in the ER at CAMH, where there is a priscription drug withdrawal program, so I thought they could help me. The doctor took me off Zopiclone and Lorazepam and substituted Clonazepam alone.  From the first day Clonazepam caused frightening and serious side effects, like periods of amnesia, loss of balance, dizziness, memory problems, mental processing problems, serious nausea - worst was interdose withdrawal every 4 hours resulting in 'panic attacks' - i was jumping out of my skin!
  • Another RX drug: My own neuro gave me Citalopram to help me withdraw from Clonazepam.  Didnt work; after 2-3 weeks the Citalopram became a bigger problem with side effects than the Clonazepam. Neuro switched Lorazepam to replace the Clonazepam, but left me on the Citalopram. 
  • Rapid loss of 40 lbs of body weight into undernourished zone.
  • I ended up in ER with my forehead bashed down to the bone as a result of 'syncope'; unconscious for unknown lenght of time, probably only a few minutes. Neuro threw me under the bus - now said i needed the Citalopram for depression and Lorazepam for anxiety disorder - said there was an emotional component to my complaints and made a referral to a psychiatrist. I didnt go to him, but tried to get into a addictions/withdrawal program at that hospital, did see a 5th year psych. MD there. 
  • i got copies of last few neuro/psych reports to my family doctor - I was shocked.  I think the neuro/family doc were afraid i'd sue them or complain to the College of Physicians and Surgeons, so; they set up a 'defense' with psychiatric diagnosis to explain drug side effects and head injury, even suggested i might have 'psyhogenic' Parkinsonism.

More self-initiated withdrawal.

• I decided to get off most dangerous drug first - Citalopram; it never made me feel anything other than sick and near invalid from side-effects.
  • Have reduced dose from 20 mgs to, recently, 5 mg.  Having a terrible time - every day seems new problem - today it was akathisia coming out of nowhere - took Benadryl - it helps.
  • Nearly house-bound now. 

Current drugs:  Citalopram (taper: 20 mg to 15 mg to 12.5 to 10 to  5 to 2.5, then zero.)  44 days at zero, getting worse side effects now than when I was 'ON' it.  Apo-Levocarb, immediate release (recent dose =1500mg) =~1250mg in 10 doses/day;/2-3 levo-carb CR/day;/Lorazepam (from 1.0 mg to 2.5 or 3, or more mg/day. Benadryl as needed. Tylenol as needed to reduce 'fever' feeling in head and/or headache. Occasional Advil.

• Administrator

Look for our topics on amino acids and whey protein.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy