SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Whey protein isolate and protein powder / shakes

jr1985

I've noticed my anxiety has been worse for the past week or so. It started two weeks after I dropped 5%, so it could be w/d, but I also started eating high protein breakfasts - protein shake, eggs, etc.

Ive read a few cases of protein supposedly causing anxiety, so I'm wondering if this is the problem.

I realise it's supposed to help with anxiety, but I've had other supplements backfire and cause paradoxical reactions before - magnesium caused jitteriness and insomnia!

2003-2011: Paroxetine,Citalopram,Effexor; Aug/Sept 2011: Effexor to Mirtazapine; Oct 2011: C/T Mirtazapine back to Effexor; Nov/Dec 2011: Fast Tapered Effexor - w/d hell; Feb 2012: Reinstated Effexor 37.5mg; June 2012: Dropped to 35.6mg; Jan 2016: Propranolol 2.5mg per day for general anxiety; Feb 2016: Finasteride 0.25mg per week to slow hair loss; 18th May - 8th June 2019: Started Vyvanse 7.5mg and increased by 7.5mg weekly to 30mg (lowest “therapeutic” dose for adults).; 21st June 2019 - 12th July: Cross tapered from venlafaxine brand Rodomel to Efexor (1/4 > 1/2 > 3/4 weekly before ditching Rodomel); 13th July 2019: Cut Vyvanse dose to 15mg; 15th July 2019: Akathisia returned after years of being free; 16th July 2019: Went back up to Vyvanse 30mg

Supplements: Omega-3, Vitamin D, Zinc, Phosphatidylserine 

• Moderator Emeritus

I've noticed my anxiety has been worse for the past week or so. It started two weeks after I dropped 5%, so it could be w/d, but I also started eating high protein breakfasts - protein shake, eggs, etc.

Ive read a few cases of protein supposedly causing anxiety, so I'm wondering if this is the problem.

I realise it's supposed to help with anxiety, but I've had other supplements backfire and cause paradoxical reactions before - magnesium caused jitteriness and insomnia!

Protein shakes are processed, is anything else. I would very much doubt eggs, other whole foods are the problem, but what is added to the shakes, who makes them?

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Protein shakes can cause anxiety, I've experienced. I still get an anxiety burst from even a high quality, undenatured whey. I react better to vegetable protein powders (rice, pea) though I try to get my nutrition from whole foods, generally.

When I used to be much more sensitive I would get borderline panic attacks from the protein shakes. I remember looking online and finding a relevant thread on a fitness forum.

Here was what I found:

I was diagnosed with Anxiety/Depression by my doctor back in 1997 and for a year I suffered from general Anxiety and Anxiety attacks. After about a year of meds I just kinda stopped taking it and I felt great for 10 years. Well last August (2007) all the anxiety and anxiety attacks came back suddenly about 3 months after I got married.

I suffered with it for about 9 months when I finally got to the doctor and he put me on 50 mg of Zoloft per day. I began lifting weights at the same time and between the Zoloft and weight training, my Anxiety/Depression all but disappeared.

I started getting really into lifting and am now taking it very seriously so I bought some GNC Wheybolic Extreme 60 which is 20g of protein per scoop. It says your supposed to take 3 scoops at a time but I only take 1 in the morning, and one at night. Ever since I started taking it my Anxiety/Depression has returned, when I stop taking it for a few days it goes away.

I have been experimenting with this theory that they whey protein is causing my Anxiety/Depression symptoms to come back. I have tried other Whey proteins and I still have the anxiety/depression symptoms about 24 hours after I take a few scoops.

Have you guys ever heard of this or ever had symptoms similiar?

And here is a part of one response:

Whey protein can DEFINITELY cause anxiety in glutamate-sensitive individuals. Also insomnia, depression, heart palpitations, and other unpleasant symptoms. Not everyone has this sensitivity, so people can be very cruel about it, assuming you are imagining things. (I find people who believe that anything they have never experienced can't be real to be not only insensitive and lacking in imagination, but also as a rule not terribly bright.)

I found your post about this when I was doing a search on the subject of whey protein and anxiety and I joined the forum just because I saw the uninformed responses you were getting.

There's a ton of unbound, free glutamic acid (glutamate=glutamic acid) in most whey protein products. I believe the only kind of whey protein that doesn't produce denatured, free glutamic acid is the microfiltered kind, which is very expensive.

Free glutamic acid is the "glutamate" in monosodium glutamate (MSG). It's the brain's primary excitatory neurotransmitter and when high concentrations of it are in the bloodstream they are absorbed through the hypothalamus (as well as many other ways). Do a search on "hypothalamus anxiety."

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=110076871&page=1

In any event, having experienced this effect myself, I would forgo the shakes for a while if I was you. Then you'll know if it's related to the powder. I am not familiar with protein causing anxiety generally. In fact, I've felt better when eating breakfast with protein. So I would suspect the protein powder before the eggs...

Alex

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Well I had 2 eggs and a sausage without any protein shake and still felt a bit anxious today.

I have read a case study where someone had anxiety when they went on a high protein, low carb diet.

I'll cutting down to one egg to see if it makes a difference.

2003-2011: Paroxetine,Citalopram,Effexor; Aug/Sept 2011: Effexor to Mirtazapine; Oct 2011: C/T Mirtazapine back to Effexor; Nov/Dec 2011: Fast Tapered Effexor - w/d hell; Feb 2012: Reinstated Effexor 37.5mg; June 2012: Dropped to 35.6mg; Jan 2016: Propranolol 2.5mg per day for general anxiety; Feb 2016: Finasteride 0.25mg per week to slow hair loss; 18th May - 8th June 2019: Started Vyvanse 7.5mg and increased by 7.5mg weekly to 30mg (lowest “therapeutic” dose for adults).; 21st June 2019 - 12th July: Cross tapered from venlafaxine brand Rodomel to Efexor (1/4 > 1/2 > 3/4 weekly before ditching Rodomel); 13th July 2019: Cut Vyvanse dose to 15mg; 15th July 2019: Akathisia returned after years of being free; 16th July 2019: Went back up to Vyvanse 30mg

Supplements: Omega-3, Vitamin D, Zinc, Phosphatidylserine 

That's worth trying if you suspect it will help.

There's a lot of trial and error, I've learned. I'd just advise to not get too restrictive because nutrition is important. In fact, one informed doctor recommended taking breakfast within the first 30-60 minutes of waking as this has a metabolic effect that helps reduce anxiety.

And also that entirely eliminating your anxiety, especially in the morning, may not be entirely achievable at the moment since you're tapering a drug pretty notorious for overstimulation in w/d. I'd be patient with it. It won't last forever, I promise.

best,

Alex

- Zimmerman

Alex and jr1985, I've been using protein shakes for two or three breakfasts a week for almost two years. Most of that time I was still WD from Remeron. I've had pretty substantial headaches and dizzyness since I quit AD but just assumed it was withdrawal. I never realized the amount of glutamic acid in protein shakes until I just read the label. My container says over 3000mg of glutamic acid plus another 100mg of plain glutamate. As I understand it, glutamic acid is mono sodium glutamate. I can't believe this would be a good idea to use with our already toxic brains. I think the protein shakes are going to stay on the shelf for a couple of weeks until I see if it makes a difference.

As far as other protein sources are concerned, I will still eat modest amounts of proteins at all meals to control my blood sugar levels. Without some protein at every meal, I would be hungry constantly. I would naturally then go looking for lesser foods to satisfy my hunger. I don't think my pancreas would appreciate lesser carb sources like tons of sweets and chips.

Alex, I read that most protein contains glutamates. Are they anything to worry about or is the big glutamic charge provided by protein shakes more of an issue?

I started withdrawing off remeron in August of 2009, with the help of a holistic physician.The reason for the withdrawal was a year or two of off and on nausea, deterioration in my thinking, and more depression. It took me a full year to work from 135 mg down to 45mg. At that point, more drops were causing more depression. Unfortuately, the nervousness that I was also feeling for the last year continued with the 45 mg. Thirty one days ago, I stopped the remeron. I am still feeling the nervousness every day and the last week, I am feeling what I think is depression but not sure. In bed in the morning, I'm already dreading another day feeling this way. I am intensely unsure of myself and find it very hard to do anything. I was a practicing veterinarian for 29 years until I found I could not practice anymore. First of all I couldn't think, or remember, and I had absolutely no confidence in anything I did. These were things I did with relative ease for twenty+ years. So, this feeling of no confidence has been during the time I was on the AD(the last 2 years) and today. I take no other medication other than my blood pressure meds. I tried supplements with my holistic dr. but they seemed to make the intense nervousness even more intense. Anyway, I truly feel stuck.

Alex, I read that most protein contains glutamates. Are they anything to worry about or is the big glutamic charge provided by protein shakes more of an issue?

Yea, so far as I know, any protein powder is going to contain glutamate. There are undenatured versions of protein powders which do not bother me as much, they still have glutamic acid though.

I really try not to use the powders, honestly. From a biological perspective the human body is well suited to get the amino acids it needs from whole food protein sources. So there are better, IMO, ways to get protein than from the powder.

I wouldn't worry. If you suspect the powder is worsening anxiety just eliminate the powder for a bit to see if it is the culprit.

Best,

Alex

- Zimmerman

• 1 month later...

Why is isolated whey protein recommended by some people and why not just take regular whey or amino acid complex?

Various SSRIs/SNRIs 7- 1/2 years

Went Cold Turkey from Celexa 2011, Stayed Off

Psych Drug Free and Loving Life (over 6 years and counting)

How I Stay Well: Diet, exercise, meditation, supplements, etc

• Administrator

Whey protein isolate is concentrated whey protein, with non-protein components, including fat and the milk sugar lactose, removed. See http://www.livestrong.com/article/404160-the-definition-of-whey-protein-isolate/

Whey protein isolate is still more of a "whole food" than an amino acid complex supplement. When you get your amino acids from food, your body takes what it needs in the digestion process.

The pure amino acids can be too strong for sensitive systems.

Even so, some people are sensitive to whey protein isolate, too.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Whey protein isolate is concentrated whey protein, with non-protein components, including fat and the milk sugar lactose, removed. See http://www.livestrong.com/article/404160-the-definition-of-whey-protein-isolate/

Whey protein isolate is still more of a "whole food" than an amino acid complex supplement. When you get your amino acids from food, your body takes what it needs in the digestion process.

The pure amino acids can be too strong for sensitive systems.

Even so, some people are sensitive to whey protein isolate, too.

thank you. I have heard the whey isolate can help with withdrawal in a number of ways including absorbing some toxins? Dont know how true that is but I am experimenting with the amino complex, whey protein, and the isolate. I am trying to see which one makes me feel better.

Various SSRIs/SNRIs 7- 1/2 years

Went Cold Turkey from Celexa 2011, Stayed Off

Psych Drug Free and Loving Life (over 6 years and counting)

How I Stay Well: Diet, exercise, meditation, supplements, etc

I have heard great things about Isolate too and yes it can either be strong or benefit, don't knock it til you try it right. :) It's just pricey, can't go wrong taking protein anyways !

2007-2012started Effexor xr 225mg -150mg- Varied2months of Taper,(March 22/2012 Off Med/in W/D)Currently No medicationMarch 22/2012- August 16/2012 - Totally Off Effexor( Rough Rough time) Reinstatement for a week(didn't work)****** New Doctor******* Very nice/helpful and in touch.Tried Zoloft- No successAUGUST 17/2012- STARTED 37.5 EFFEXOR FOR ONE WEEK - NOT GOOD < STOPPED.Started Buspar Oct 11th 2012----10 mg for the first 7 days and then 15mg a day---- Taking a new route----Racing thoughts - Gone.Oct 9th ( Done Zoloft,wellbutrin week project trial to feel better) - OFFICIALLY OFF ANTI DEPRESSANT !Oct 26 - Raised Buspar to 20mg a day- Tolerating wellJan 2nd 2013-

Reduce Buspar until full off march 20th 2015 Off all medication !

Tried natural supplements to no avail

Gluten/sugar free since december 2013

• 10 months later...

has anyone tried whey protien? what was your experience?

I would like to try it but am scared, has anyone had any experience with this?

also I was looking at this brand...

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=100&prodid=5953&cid=141

it seems to have alot of different amino acids in it, can you get brands that do not contain so much?

I would be really REALLY grateful for any advice on this/

Thanks so much

xxxx

damaged by citalopram - severe suffering for 3 years now...no improvement

akathsiia, pgad, dp/dr, terror, and so SO many more daily

severly disabled and lost everything

I've taken whey protein for years on and off. Tried a few different brands. It's only useful if you workout or do some

form of weight training otherwise you are just wasting your money. Eating a lot helps too. The purpose of whey protein is

that it's suppose to help your muscles recover quicker after working out.

Also you can get essential amino acids in pill form form

places like GNC.

Whey protein can also give you gas and diarhea as well. I personally think protein powders are a waste of money many

of them have a lot of artificial flavours colours, preservatives etc.

it can be a really good way to increase glutathione levels which most of us poor heavily taxed souls need...

Chris Kresser recommends Whey Cool™ but other undenatured bioactive brands are probably fine too. 

I am allergic to whey, but that is unusual really...even among sensitive folks for the most part. Most people who are intolerant to milk can eat whey protein powder. 

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

yes Im trying to raise my glutahione levels, Gia, I know this is alot to ask but could you look at the link I posted above and let me know what you think? Im not sure if it has too many amino acids in?

thanks so much for the replys

I would recommend getting something without all the added crap...it's unnecessary for your needs and it raises the risk of being problematic.

get something with JUST whey in it if possible...you can mix it into whatever you want at that point if you want additional flavor etc. 

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

and I'm talking about this stuff too...not just the amino acids:

Other Ingredients:

Protein Blend (Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Hydrolysate, Whey Protein Isolate),Sweetener (Sucralose), Cinnamon Powder, Emulsifiers (Acacia Gum, Soya Lecithin), Maltodextrin, Coconut Oil,Sucrose, Lactoperoxidase, Colour (Beta Carotene), Vitamin C (as Sodium Ascorbate), Vitamin E (as dl-AlphaTocopherol), Anti-Caking Agent (Silicon Dioxide).

Edited by Petunia
fixed text

Thanks Gia I will keep looking...thats great info from you, thank goodness for this forum!!

also it should really say it's undenatured and bioactive in the ingredients

I cant find anything!! Gia, do you think Dr kessler might know of a good brand available in the uk? If so is there a way I could send him an enquiry?

I have contacted a few place sin the sttes that sell whey cool but they dont post to the uk....oh my!! this is so hard

I think vitacost.com ships to the UK...they've got tons of stuff...check them out too...

but oh, yeah, the swanson brand is actually very good...go for that if it's easy

yip yip!! thanks so much Gia!! I cant belive we did it! we found one!!

Im gonna order that swanson one...

the next thing though is how much and how often to take, I dont think I should have it every day, I was thinking of half the recommended amount every other day and see how I go? or is that too much? maybe I should start at once per week, or twice per week?

Im such a novice, and a scared novice to boot!

Gia, thanks so much for all your help with this, I have been pulling my hair out, im sat here with raging anxiety and mild akathisia (not becasue of this, Im always like that) and stressing out over this bloody whey!!

well, as blondie said...

one whey or another Im gonna find ya, im gonna getcha getcha getcha getcha!

see what you tolerate and just go slowly...if you tolerate it daily use is fine...but do take your time

thanks again gia, I think I will start with a quarter of the recommended amount..it says 1 Scoop (10 grams)

thats the daily amount, so if I start with 2.5 grams and see how I am over a few days, if Im bad wait longer and try again (as these things can always be due to something else)

if not I will stick to 2.5 and take twice per week and work my way slowly up to 2.5 per day...

from there increase the amount I take to I think 5 grams, I wouldnt really want to take more than 5 grams per day, unless it makes me feel better, but at this rate as I am ramping up my fish oil slowly to mega dosing - Im only on 300 dha+epa per day now but intend to make my way upto 4000 per day, maybe even higher...that would cose around 20 quid per week, add to that 40 quid per month on whey I will be selling all my possesions to fund my rampant suppliment habit!!

you have really helped me Gia, thanks so much, your such a kind person to help ithers so much when you are suffering yourself, words fail me. xx

• 4 months later...
  • Administrator

Bumping this to remind folks that whey protein isolate is a great source of amino acids. Amino acids are all that's in it, actually (avoid the products with additives and sugar).

Many of us need additional protein to help our bodies and nervous systems heal.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Does whey protein include casein? I have gluten and casein intolerance..

in 2002- 0,5 tablet cipramil for half a year, ended it uneventfully. in 2006 - citalopram for half a year, ended in horrific state, ditched the drugs CT. 2007-2008 not feeling well but drug free. in 2008 prozac 20mg + quetiapine 25mg. 2009 tried to stop, ended up in hole after couple of months, started zoloft. 2009-2011 zoloft 50mg. went to 25mg in 2011 summer, it resulted in half a year horrible suffering. reinstated, changed drugs, nothing happened. by 2012 beginning suddenly felt great and CT meds. after 4 months came suddenly most horrible human suffering that's possible. was started on prozac and questiapine. started tapering slowly, GFCF diet and Hardy Nutritionals vitamins in 2013 summer. 

current medications: 1) fluoxetine and quetiapine since Aug 2012; 2) Daily Essential Nutrients by Hardy Nutritionals 7 capsules / since May 2013 + omega3; 3) Gluten-free-casein-free diet since june 2013

Started withdrawing slowly since april 2013. Mostly around 10% cuts. 

April'13 - March'14: fluoxetine 40mg -> 19,5mg; quetiapine 50mg -> 40mg
April'14-March'15: fluoxetine 19,5mg -> 14,4mg; quetiapine 40mg -> 22mg

April'15-March'16: fluoxetine 14,4mg -> 7,4mg; quetiapine 22mg -> 15mg

April'16-March'17: fluoxetine 7,4mg -> 5,0mg; quetiapine 15mg -> 7,25mg

April'17-March'18: fluoxetine 5,0mg -> 4,0mg; quetiapine 7,25mg -> 0 (as of 1st Feb 2018)!!!!

April´18-March´19: fluoxetine 4,0mg - > 2,3mg. Jumped off fluoxetine 1,4mg due to pregnancy in July 2019. Oct 2019 severe withdrawal syndrome started.

Took mistakenly a complex for hormonal support that included pregnenolone dec2019-april2020. Stopped it april 2020 and immediately severe akathisia started. Have had life threatening akathisia since, 100% disabled, suicidal, very hard to hold on. 

• Administrator

Oh, thamk you! I thnk I'll try!

in 2002- 0,5 tablet cipramil for half a year, ended it uneventfully. in 2006 - citalopram for half a year, ended in horrific state, ditched the drugs CT. 2007-2008 not feeling well but drug free. in 2008 prozac 20mg + quetiapine 25mg. 2009 tried to stop, ended up in hole after couple of months, started zoloft. 2009-2011 zoloft 50mg. went to 25mg in 2011 summer, it resulted in half a year horrible suffering. reinstated, changed drugs, nothing happened. by 2012 beginning suddenly felt great and CT meds. after 4 months came suddenly most horrible human suffering that's possible. was started on prozac and questiapine. started tapering slowly, GFCF diet and Hardy Nutritionals vitamins in 2013 summer. 

current medications: 1) fluoxetine and quetiapine since Aug 2012; 2) Daily Essential Nutrients by Hardy Nutritionals 7 capsules / since May 2013 + omega3; 3) Gluten-free-casein-free diet since june 2013

April'17-March'18: fluoxetine 5,0mg -> 4,0mg; quetiapine 7,25mg -> 0 (as of 1st Feb 2018)!!!!

April´18-March´19: fluoxetine 4,0mg - > 2,3mg. Jumped off fluoxetine 1,4mg due to pregnancy in July 2019. Oct 2019 severe withdrawal syndrome started.

Took mistakenly a complex for hormonal support that included pregnenolone dec2019-april2020. Stopped it april 2020 and immediately severe akathisia started. Have had life threatening akathisia since, 100% disabled, suicidal, very hard to hold on. 

I started taking whey protein powder. Had bought it previously, but put it away after I found out about casein intolerance.

Question - should I feel anything? Or will the effects of it build up slowly? If anybody has experience, I would be glad to hear about it.

• Administrator

For a while, I found taking it at night helped me sleep better.

I hope it makes you feel better. If no noticeable effect, keep taking it, it's a good source of protein. If it makes you feel worse, stop taking it.

I bought a tub of whey powder a couple of months ago by accident -- I was looking for the pea powder by the same company -- so I've had this whey just sitting on shelf. I think I will try a bit and see how I do. I was under the impression that the whey was more allergenic and I see now that many tolerate it well. Worth a trry.

- Zimmerman

Thanks, alto. I'll watch what happens to my totally messed up sleep.

Alex, if you try, let me know how it goes!

I did mix up a scoop in a mason jar but I bloated up/joint pain after a sip or two. I am pretty allergic to food allergens so I need to heal a little more before I will try it again. I'll put it back on the storage self.

- Zimmerman

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

When I went to buy some more whey protein isolate, the store had run out, so I picked up the concentrate.  I asked what the difference was and was told that it was basically the same product, but that the isolate is just absorbed faster.  I figured that nothing I could take was going to recover my brain cells overnight, so it would be ok.

Now I'm wondering.  Was that the truth?  Should I hunt down some isolate and throw out the concentrate?

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Administrator

The isolate is processed differently. The concentrate probably won't hurt you, but it doesn't have the same amino content.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy