SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

Rhiannon

• Administrator

It's possible it will degrade. Heat and light usually will accelerate this process. Keep homemade liquids refrigerated, preferably in a dark-colored container.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I'd like to just add that if you switch from pill to liquid you likely should updose because your body will interpret it as a withdrawal. I could not stabilize on liquid and had to resort back to cutting/filing which is not as accurate unfortunately,

Lexapro & Wellbutrin ~2003-2012

Switched from Lexapro to Prozac early 2012

CT all meds mid 2012, manic episode; put on every bipolar med known to man June-Aug 2012

Stopped meds CT Aug 2012

50 mg Lamictal Nov 2012

Ativan 0.5mg/PRN Dec 2012 (up to 2mg by May 2013)

Lunesta Jan-June 2013, CTed

Trazodone 100mg June 2013

[non-psych: Nature-Throid/Cytomel Dec 2012-June 2013; progesterone cream Nov 2013-pres]

current:75mg Lamictal (raised to help with benzo withdrawal)

1.6mg Ativan (very slowly tapering)

30mg Trazodone (holding)

• Administrator

ks, that is not always so. Many people switch to liquid without a problem. Others experience it as too strong because a liquid is absorbed faster.

It's an individual thing. Once you make the switch, give it some time -- it takes about 4 days for your system to register a change in dosage -- and then see if you need to adjust the dosage of the liquid.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I updosed and after two weeks became more and more unstable. Now I am in a worse position than before if I had just stayed with dry cutting, I didn't say everyone would have to but it is likely you might. Just putting it out there since I didn't see anyone say it.

Lexapro & Wellbutrin ~2003-2012

Switched from Lexapro to Prozac early 2012

CT all meds mid 2012, manic episode; put on every bipolar med known to man June-Aug 2012

Stopped meds CT Aug 2012

50 mg Lamictal Nov 2012

Ativan 0.5mg/PRN Dec 2012 (up to 2mg by May 2013)

Lunesta Jan-June 2013, CTed

Trazodone 100mg June 2013

[non-psych: Nature-Throid/Cytomel Dec 2012-June 2013; progesterone cream Nov 2013-pres]

current:75mg Lamictal (raised to help with benzo withdrawal)

1.6mg Ativan (very slowly tapering)

30mg Trazodone (holding)

• Administrator

There are always uncertainties when you make any changes in these drugs, which is another reason they are dangerous.

• Moderator Emeritus

It seems to the rule that you should not store your DIY liquid for more than 3-4 days.

Doesn`t that prove the fact that the liquid is losing it`s medical effect very fast? So even if make only 3 days worth of medicine, every dose is less effective that previous?

I`m noticing a pattern that I feel better when I take my 1st dose. Days 2 and 3 are downhill and things get a little better when I make a new patch. I can not be sure about this yet but I`m very scared to experiment any further.

Can you test this by just making it up fresh each day for a week or so, keeping a log of your symptoms, then experiment with two days at a time, then three?

As long as you don't make large changes abruptly, I encourage you to experiment and find out what works for you. All we have here are our own experiences, no real large-scale data, so the safest and best way is for everyone to become expert on herself or himself.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Administrator

Zoloft is available as a liquid in many parts of the world. Ask your pharmacist.

• 3 weeks later...

ks, that is not always so. Many people switch to liquid without a problem. Others experience it as too strong because a liquid is absorbed faster.

It's an individual thing. Once you make the switch, give it some time -- it takes about 4 days for your system to register a change in dosage -- and then see if you need to adjust the dosage of the liquid.

I have been wondering about the same thing. I suspect that the body absorbs the drug maybe differently, if it's swollowed in a capsule or drank in water solution? I'm thinking of going to prozac water solution soon, in order to make supersmall cuts. those seem to be better to me. 

in 2002- 0,5 tablet cipramil for half a year, ended it uneventfully. in 2006 - citalopram for half a year, ended in horrific state, ditched the drugs CT. 2007-2008 not feeling well but drug free. in 2008 prozac 20mg + quetiapine 25mg. 2009 tried to stop, ended up in hole after couple of months, started zoloft. 2009-2011 zoloft 50mg. went to 25mg in 2011 summer, it resulted in half a year horrible suffering. reinstated, changed drugs, nothing happened. by 2012 beginning suddenly felt great and CT meds. after 4 months came suddenly most horrible human suffering that's possible. was started on prozac and questiapine. started tapering slowly, GFCF diet and Hardy Nutritionals vitamins in 2013 summer. 

current medications: 1) fluoxetine and quetiapine since Aug 2012; 2) Daily Essential Nutrients by Hardy Nutritionals 7 capsules / since May 2013 + omega3; 3) Gluten-free-casein-free diet since june 2013

Started withdrawing slowly since april 2013. Mostly around 10% cuts. 

April'13 - March'14: fluoxetine 40mg -> 19,5mg; quetiapine 50mg -> 40mg
April'14-March'15: fluoxetine 19,5mg -> 14,4mg; quetiapine 40mg -> 22mg

April'15-March'16: fluoxetine 14,4mg -> 7,4mg; quetiapine 22mg -> 15mg

April'16-March'17: fluoxetine 7,4mg -> 5,0mg; quetiapine 15mg -> 7,25mg

April'17-March'18: fluoxetine 5,0mg -> 4,0mg; quetiapine 7,25mg -> 0 (as of 1st Feb 2018)!!!!

April´18-March´19: fluoxetine 4,0mg - > 2,3mg. Jumped off fluoxetine 1,4mg due to pregnancy in July 2019. Oct 2019 severe withdrawal syndrome started.

Took mistakenly a complex for hormonal support that included pregnenolone dec2019-april2020. Stopped it april 2020 and immediately severe akathisia started. Have had life threatening akathisia since, 100% disabled, suicidal, very hard to hold on. 

• Moderator Emeritus

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ORIGINAL TOPIC:  Making a Celexa Solution Yourself

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 11/30/2011 at 11:48 AM, Altostrata said:

Rhi, do you know how long the Celexa solution will keep in the fridge?

I just found this study which indicates that Celexa dissolved in water is pretty stable. It says they went as far out as 30 days and no degradation was seen when kept dark; maybe a little less if exposed to light in this study. This is great news for me, because I'm down to about 1 mg now and I can make 8-9 doses out of one tablet!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16050577

I use distilled or RO filtered water, which is naturally about pH 7 and should not contain significant amounts of any chemically active substances. (Other than water, that is.)

Edited by ChessieCat

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

• Moderator Emeritus

Found this extensive article about stability of drugs in suspending agents like Ora Plus. It's a bit of a dense read but the basic take home message is that of the 60-something drugs reviewed only something like 8 are unstable in aqueous suspending medium. There's a list of those in the first paragraph.

Solution in water isn't quite the same as an aqueous suspending medium like Ora Plus, but for me it's close enough--if water was going to degrade the chemical it would do so in the Ora Plus as well.

However if you want to make your own, you can buy Ora Plus from Amazon and probably other places on the Internet.

http://www.ualberta.ca/~csps/JPPS9_3/MS_973_Review/MS_973.html

• Administrator

Thanks, Rhi!

Those drugs that you can't mix with a suspending agent:

captopril, hydralazine hydrochloride, isoniazid, levothyroxine sodium, phenoxybenzamine hydrochloride and tetracycline hydrochloride

....Interestingly, the instability in these formulations is primarily due to interactions between the drug substance and the excipients rather than degradation of the active pharmaceutical ingredient by standard routes such as oxidation, hydrolysis, photolysis or thermolysis. This low percentage however illustrates the low risk associated with these dosage forms investigated. It may be concluded that when considering the safety and efficacy of liquid dosage forms prepared extemporaneously, it is thus important to consider not only the stability of the drug substance but the entire formulation.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know if you can use oraplus with Remeron instead of using water as a mixing agent??

med exp since 1985- abilify, latuda, Seroquel, risperadol, zyprexa, Haldol. latuda, saphris, mellaril, thorazine, lithium, tegretol, Depakote, lamictal, Prozac, pamelor, wellbutrin, Ativan, klonipin, etc.

currently only on remeron: 3/13/14-6/5/14- 15mg

6/20/14 -9.5mg < 0.75-1.5 per week

7/12/14-3.75mg

8/11/14- 0.6mg of Remeron (almost off)

8/16/14--last dose of remeron...now completely drug free....

11/21/14-- 95 DAYS DRUG FREE!!!!

I do not give out medical advice only personal experience.

dx: BPI, II, CKD, secondary hyperparathyroidism, Chronic pain, fibro,

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

You can use Oraplus with Remeron if you wish.

• 7 months later...

Feel free to move this if it is not in the right place. I looked around and could not find any other place that looked more appropriate to post this question.

I will try to be as clear as possible.

In liquid tapers, the advice I have seen looks like this:

1)Make suspension

2)Pull % of liquid out that would equal your intended cut, throw it away

3)Pull doses for the day

It is easier for me to do it this way for some reason...

1)Make suspension

2)Pull doses for the day

3)Throw out excess liquid at the end of the day...this liquid is the % cut.

This way is ok...? There is a distinct possibility I am overthinking this, given my current mental state :(

I just don't want to make mistakes.

Again, please move this if it isn't in the right place.

Thx

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

Btw...

I just purchased graduated cylinders from a school supply store. I was trying to avoid ordering them, as I needed them sooner.

Just another option for people looking for supplies....

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

• Administrator

In liquid tapers, the advice I have seen looks like this:

1)Make suspension

2)Pull % of liquid out that would equal your intended cut, throw it away

3)Pull doses for the day

It is easier for me to do it this way for some reason...

1)Make suspension

2)Pull doses for the day

3)Throw out excess liquid at the end of the day...this liquid is the % cut.

Yes, that's fine. It depends on which is more convenient.

Thanks for the tip about graduated cylinders.

What do people do when they have problems with liquid?

• Administrator

They use a digital scale for weighing fragments or powders, or they have capsules compounded.

They use a digital scale for weighing fragments or powders, or they have capsules compounded.

Can they compound capsules as small as I would need them for a taper off of .24mg dosed 6 times a day?

• Administrator

Yes, they can. You will need a doctor's prescription for compounded capsules.

May I make a suggestion...? And, this surely may not be the case for everyone. But, I felt the need to share my experience, as it may help someone in the future avoid an unneeded bump in tapering.

If someone is having a paradoxical reaction to the drug they wish to taper, it may be best to stay on whatever form of the medication they have been taking if at all possible, and refrain from switching over to a liquid.

My reasoning is this, if you are experiencing a paradoxical reaction that is so troublesome that you need to taper, switching to a liquid could exacerbate the problem. It is absorbed much quicker I have found, and unlike capsules or tablets, the effects tend to hit all at once. In some cases, this can lead to an even more profound paradoxical reaction.

I experienced this. I understand tapering is very individual, and everyone is not as senstive as I have become. But, I wanted to put it out there, simply for consideration.

I'm not sure this is the correct place for posting this. :(

• Administrator

That's a very good point, JDM. Changing the form of a drug carries risks, too. Many people need dosage adjustment afterward. Dosage adjustment downward might be necessary if a paradoxical reaction is increased.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Do you have a pill crusher?  Most chemists carry them, for people who cannot swallow pills, that might help get your pill more thoroughly crushed.

If I understand correctly, if you double the solvent (water), you will double the amount you take, in order to get your dose.

My calculator says that's 23.72 mil.  This does not mean that I know what I am talking about.

Could someone please advise..I just cannot work out the simplest of things at all right now. The only tablets I've been able to get hold off doesn't disolve very well..a lot is left stuck to the glass I use to mix the original solution and then the outside of the syringe. I'm thinking more water would be better. I disolve 50mg in tablet just now to 50ml water then take out 11.86. if I disolve it in 100ml what would I then take out? Wow, feel so daft.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi there. I'm currently tapering off Lexapro. I managed to get the liquid, but I could only get a 20 mg/ml solution. Extremely inconvenient for tapering. I've made 2 reductions of 1 mg each in the past 12 weeks or so, I'm currently on 18 mg. I want to make progressively smaller reductions now though, so I'm just wondering if there is any way I could dilute the liquid Lexapro to get a less concentrated solution for tapering?

Many thanks, Alex.

Oh wow.  You want to suspend your supension!

It would depend on what it is suspended in?  I'm thinking it won't just be water - and that the Ora Plus product mentioned earlier in this thread (available from Amazon) may be the right kind of thing.

Great question.  I am out of my depth here, and a smarter, more experienced liquid tapering mod will be along soon to correct me or enhance what I have said here.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 1 month later...

So I'm having trouble with particles of zoloft sticking to the glass when I'm dissolving the original mixture. It only sticks at the waterline. I've tried un sticking with a spoon or disolving in half of the water and then using the rest to swill round the glass only to settle and stick immediately.

I cannot remember having this problem with this brand before..maybe they have added a film coating where there was not one before.

So my options are to keep doing this whilst worrying about the accuracy. Changing brand again to something without a film coating but this is tricky as the chemist does not always have this in. Going to liquid sertraline from the doc which I'm sure I had a bad reaction to or buying a scale and cutting measuring my dose. Which would also mean adjusting obviously with this change in how it is absorbed.

Unless anyone has any other ideas.

So nervous about the whole thing.

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

• 3 months later...

I'm currently dissolving my Citalopram into water to taper. I'm putting 20 MG into 120 ML of water and then I just take my other 20 MG tablet whole. I'm using a plastic syringe type thing (the ones you get from target/publix/wallmart at the pharmacy). I wait about 30 min for it to dissolve and then swish the jar before I extract. I'm up to 30 ML so I have to extract 3 times. I swish the water around each time before.

I always extract from the middle of the jar, but can't seem to consistently get the same amount out each time. After each one I look to see how diluted the water looks in the syringe and sometimes it looks more full of medicine than others. I can't figure it out. 

I've been having a really hard time even when tapering less than 5% every 2-3 weeks. Since I have to taper as little as 5% at a time I can't do dry cuts, so this method seems to be my only option. 

Any ideas? I've been falling asleep between 5-9 am a lot lately and it's lasted over 2 weeks now and it's been 3 weeks since my last reduction. 

2009 - 10/2014: 40MG Citalopram

10/2014: Started taper by liquid titration by about 5% every few weeks (1000 times harder than Benzo taper)

1/26/17: 3.5 MG

3/12/2017: 2.9 MG

12/06/2017: Finished my taper

12/24/2018: took a amino acid called L-Theanine in May, which made my symptoms  far worse and 7 months later, I'm still feeling the negative effects. My symptoms are about the same as they were when I finished my taper a year ago. 

2009 - 10/2012: 2 MG of Klonopin 

10/2012: Hit tolerance and began taper

12/2013: Finished liquid titration taper (less than 10% every few weeks)

Experienced protracted withdrawal and was about 80% healed by 10/14 when I started my citalopram taper. 

• Administrator

You could get a prescription for liquid citalopram or have it made by a compounding phamacy. Or, you may wish to use a pharmacy liquid instead of water. see the early posts in this topic.

120mL of water is quite a bit of water. Did you find the tablet would not dissolve in any less?

How are you measuring the water?

You know, I got a smaller jar and it makes it 100 times easier to be precise. I used 120 ML to make it dilute it more so the taper is easier. I measure the water with a graduated cylinder. I'm using the same exact method as I did for my Klonopin taper, which worked smoothly. 

I don't get this. It's been over 3 weeks since my last 5% taper. I up-dosed a week ago. Still, my sleep is so out of wack. Before the past month I was falling asleep around 3. Not it's moved to anywhere from 5-7 am. I feel tired, but don't at the same time. It gets better for a few days and I can fall asleep at a reasonable time, but then goes right back. It's really getting to me. I'm really ******* annoyed and just don't understand. In the past I have felt like this for a week max after a taper and then it's gone back to normal and stayed, but this just doesn't seem to follow any sort of pattern and I have no control. It just seems like I have a few years ahead of me before I am close to normal from this. 

Does this happen to other people? Could it be that sometimes it just takes extra long for the chemicles in the brain to balance? 

2009 - 10/2014: 40MG Citalopram

10/2014: Started taper by liquid titration by about 5% every few weeks (1000 times harder than Benzo taper)

1/26/17: 3.5 MG

3/12/2017: 2.9 MG

12/06/2017: Finished my taper

12/24/2018: took a amino acid called L-Theanine in May, which made my symptoms  far worse and 7 months later, I'm still feeling the negative effects. My symptoms are about the same as they were when I finished my taper a year ago. 

2009 - 10/2012: 2 MG of Klonopin 

10/2012: Hit tolerance and began taper

12/2013: Finished liquid titration taper (less than 10% every few weeks)

Experienced protracted withdrawal and was about 80% healed by 10/14 when I started my citalopram taper. 

• Administrator

One thing that I actually transitioned to, which might make a difference, is before I was putting the full 40 mg into the liquid titration. Now I only put 20 mg in and take the other 20 mg. I did the math to make sure I maintained the same taper, but I wonder if it can be harmful to take liquid and a regular pill at the same time. 

JP904, there is no harm in taking part of your dose as a tablet and part as a liquid.

MrDenton, please read this topic from the beginning.

Some sediment is normal when making your own liquid with water.

Cutting up the tablet may help it dissolve faster.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

The syringes will always be in the liquid measure of milliliters. You need to make the conversion to milligrams yourself.

If you're not getting the math -- it involves proportions of milligrams of drug to milliliters of water -- you will need someone to help you with it.

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator

hello I have a question, I like the water titration but am unsure about the residue on the side of the container, for example if I'm tapering Nortriptylene which is water soluble from 10mg to 9mg I use the 1:1 mixture and draw out 1ml and pour out the remaining 9 ml, i'm using glass and there is usually residue left do I add water swish it around and drink the residue? thanks

You are removing 1mL and drinking 9mL? How are you feeling using your current method? If you are feeling okay, be consistent and don't worry about the residue (it may be filler or the coating from the tablet).

I have the same question for Paxil .

Lots of residue in the small jar .

I was at 30mg - last October , I dried cut 3 mg to get 27mg  ( 10% )

Switched to water solution on Dec 6th : 30mg in 10 ml of water , I take 7.5 ml ( down to 22,5 ml - additional 10% )

Maybe some of the medication is lost on the walls of the jar....Been having real vivid dreams

Would a higher dilution help ?

You may find it more convenient to take part of your dosage in tablet form (20mg) and the rest in liquid, tapering the liquid part. See Tips for tapering off Paxil (paroxetine)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

The transition to liquid can be eased by taking part of your dose in tablet form and part in liquid. If you are tapering, you would reduce the liquid part until it's gone, then consider either a smaller tablet dosage plus liquid or switch entirely to liquid.

• 2 weeks later...

When I make my liquid I have been stirring it with a plastic fork handle and than draw it up would this be not a good idea?

April 2013 Doc put me back on 40mg of celexa for 2.5 weeks than switched to Paxil 3 weeks adverse reaction and kindling reaction
July 2013 5mg celexa and .5mg klonopin daily

5/15/16 started lamictal and currently at 25mg daily once a day.

1/1/17 crossed over from .5mg klonopin to 10mg Valium.

3/1/17 off celexa from getting down to around .25mg.

5/25/17 started tapering the Valium from 10mg to 9mg

6/25/17 dropped down to 8mg Valium 

currently on 8mg of Valium and 25mg of lamictal once a day in the morning never could handle more than 25mg of lamictal and never really felt anything from it.

7/2/17 updosed to 10mg Valium and holding split twice a day and holding.

3/1/18 dropped Valium from 10mg to 9.5mg

4/1/18 dropped Valium from 9.5 to 9mg still on 25mg lamictal.

Updosed 6/20/18 Valium 10mg and 25mg lamictal and holding.

• Administrator

If you do it the same way each time and it works, it's fine.

• Moderator Emeritus

Can someone tell me please:

How long does a suspension made with water last for in the fridge?

Does a suspension made with distilled water or a pharmacy suspension liquid last longer?

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Administrator

My rule of thumb has always been no more than a week, unless I get explicit stability information from a pharmacy or online.

This applies to suspensions made with distilled water or pharmacy liquid.

The major risk is spoilage from bacteria or mold, as with other opened foods in the refrigerator.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy