Altostrata

How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

77 posts in this topic

Btw...

I just purchased graduated cylinders from a school supply store. I was trying to avoid ordering them, as I needed them sooner.

Just another option for people looking for supplies....

In liquid tapers, the advice I have seen looks like this:

1)Make suspension

2)Pull % of liquid out that would equal your intended cut, throw it away

3)Pull doses for the day

It is easier for me to do it this way for some reason...

1)Make suspension

2)Pull doses for the day

3)Throw out excess liquid at the end of the day...this liquid is the % cut.

Yes, that's fine. It depends on which is more convenient.

Thanks for the tip about graduated cylinders.

ks, that is not always so. Many people switch to liquid without a problem. Others experience it as too strong because a liquid is absorbed faster.

It's an individual thing. Once you make the switch, give it some time -- it takes about 4 days for your system to register a change in dosage -- and then see if you need to adjust the dosage of the liquid.

What do people do when they have problems with liquid?

They use a digital scale for weighing fragments or powders, or they have capsules compounded.

They use a digital scale for weighing fragments or powders, or they have capsules compounded.

Can they compound capsules as small as I would need them for a taper off of .24mg dosed 6 times a day?

Yes, they can. You will need a doctor's prescription for compounded capsules.

May I make a suggestion...? And, this surely may not be the case for everyone. But, I felt the need to share my experience, as it may help someone in the future avoid an unneeded bump in tapering.

If someone is having a paradoxical reaction to the drug they wish to taper, it may be best to stay on whatever form of the medication they have been taking if at all possible, and refrain from switching over to a liquid.

My reasoning is this, if you are experiencing a paradoxical reaction that is so troublesome that you need to taper, switching to a liquid could exacerbate the problem. It is absorbed much quicker I have found, and unlike capsules or tablets, the effects tend to hit all at once. In some cases, this can lead to an even more profound paradoxical reaction.

I experienced this. I understand tapering is very individual, and everyone is not as senstive as I have become. But, I wanted to put it out there, simply for consideration.

I'm not sure this is the correct place for posting this. :(

That's a very good point, JDM. Changing the form of a drug carries risks, too. Many people need dosage adjustment afterward. Dosage adjustment downward might be necessary if a paradoxical reaction is increased.

Do you have a pill crusher?  Most chemists carry them, for people who cannot swallow pills, that might help get your pill more thoroughly crushed.

If I understand correctly, if you double the solvent (water), you will double the amount you take, in order to get your dose.

My calculator says that's 23.72 mil.  This does not mean that I know what I am talking about.

Could someone please advise..I just cannot work out the simplest of things at all right now. The only tablets I've been able to get hold off doesn't disolve very well..a lot is left stuck to the glass I use to mix the original solution and then the outside of the syringe. I'm thinking more water would be better. I disolve 50mg in tablet just now to 50ml water then take out 11.86. if I disolve it in 100ml what would I then take out? Wow, feel so daft.

Hi there. I'm currently tapering off Lexapro. I managed to get the liquid, but I could only get a 20 mg/ml solution. Extremely inconvenient for tapering. I've made 2 reductions of 1 mg each in the past 12 weeks or so, I'm currently on 18 mg. I want to make progressively smaller reductions now though, so I'm just wondering if there is any way I could dilute the liquid Lexapro to get a less concentrated solution for tapering?

Many thanks, Alex.

Oh wow.  You want to suspend your supension!

It would depend on what it is suspended in?  I'm thinking it won't just be water - and that the Ora Plus product mentioned earlier in this thread (available from Amazon) may be the right kind of thing.

Great question.  I am out of my depth here, and a smarter, more experienced liquid tapering mod will be along soon to correct me or enhance what I have said here.

So I'm having trouble with particles of zoloft sticking to the glass when I'm dissolving the original mixture. It only sticks at the waterline. I've tried un sticking with a spoon or disolving in half of the water and then using the rest to swill round the glass only to settle and stick immediately.

I cannot remember having this problem with this brand before..maybe they have added a film coating where there was not one before.

So my options are to keep doing this whilst worrying about the accuracy. Changing brand again to something without a film coating but this is tricky as the chemist does not always have this in. Going to liquid sertraline from the doc which I'm sure I had a bad reaction to or buying a scale and cutting measuring my dose. Which would also mean adjusting obviously with this change in how it is absorbed.

Unless anyone has any other ideas.

So nervous about the whole thing.

I'm currently dissolving my Citalopram into water to taper. I'm putting 20 MG into 120 ML of water and then I just take my other 20 MG tablet whole. I'm using a plastic syringe type thing (the ones you get from target/publix/wallmart at the pharmacy). I wait about 30 min for it to dissolve and then swish the jar before I extract. I'm up to 30 ML so I have to extract 3 times. I swish the water around each time before.

I always extract from the middle of the jar, but can't seem to consistently get the same amount out each time. After each one I look to see how diluted the water looks in the syringe and sometimes it looks more full of medicine than others. I can't figure it out. 

I've been having a really hard time even when tapering less than 5% every 2-3 weeks. Since I have to taper as little as 5% at a time I can't do dry cuts, so this method seems to be my only option. 

Any ideas? I've been falling asleep between 5-9 am a lot lately and it's lasted over 2 weeks now and it's been 3 weeks since my last reduction. 

You could get a prescription for liquid citalopram or have it made by a compounding phamacy. Or, you may wish to use a pharmacy liquid instead of water. see the early posts in this topic.

120mL of water is quite a bit of water. Did you find the tablet would not dissolve in any less?

How are you measuring the water?

You know, I got a smaller jar and it makes it 100 times easier to be precise. I used 120 ML to make it dilute it more so the taper is easier. I measure the water with a graduated cylinder. I'm using the same exact method as I did for my Klonopin taper, which worked smoothly. 

I don't get this. It's been over 3 weeks since my last 5% taper. I up-dosed a week ago. Still, my sleep is so out of wack. Before the past month I was falling asleep around 3. Not it's moved to anywhere from 5-7 am. I feel tired, but don't at the same time. It gets better for a few days and I can fall asleep at a reasonable time, but then goes right back. It's really getting to me. I'm really ******* annoyed and just don't understand. In the past I have felt like this for a week max after a taper and then it's gone back to normal and stayed, but this just doesn't seem to follow any sort of pattern and I have no control. It just seems like I have a few years ahead of me before I am close to normal from this. 

Does this happen to other people? Could it be that sometimes it just takes extra long for the chemicles in the brain to balance? 

One thing that I actually transitioned to, which might make a difference, is before I was putting the full 40 mg into the liquid titration. Now I only put 20 mg in and take the other 20 mg. I did the math to make sure I maintained the same taper, but I wonder if it can be harmful to take liquid and a regular pill at the same time. 

JP904, there is no harm in taking part of your dose as a tablet and part as a liquid.

MrDenton, please read this topic from the beginning.

Some sediment is normal when making your own liquid with water.

Cutting up the tablet may help it dissolve faster.

The syringes will always be in the liquid measure of milliliters. You need to make the conversion to milligrams yourself.

If you're not getting the math -- it involves proportions of milligrams of drug to milliliters of water -- you will need someone to help you with it.

hello I have a question, I like the water titration but am unsure about the residue on the side of the container, for example if I'm tapering Nortriptylene which is water soluble from 10mg to 9mg I use the 1:1 mixture and draw out 1ml and pour out the remaining 9 ml, i'm using glass and there is usually residue left do I add water swish it around and drink the residue? thanks

You are removing 1mL and drinking 9mL? How are you feeling using your current method? If you are feeling okay, be consistent and don't worry about the residue (it may be filler or the coating from the tablet).

I have the same question for Paxil .

Lots of residue in the small jar .

I was at 30mg - last October , I dried cut 3 mg to get 27mg  ( 10% )

Switched to water solution on Dec 6th : 30mg in 10 ml of water , I take 7.5 ml ( down to 22,5 ml - additional 10% )

Maybe some of the medication is lost on the walls of the jar....Been having real vivid dreams

Would a higher dilution help ?

You may find it more convenient to take part of your dosage in tablet form (20mg) and the rest in liquid, tapering the liquid part. See Tips for tapering off Paxil (paroxetine)

The transition to liquid can be eased by taking part of your dose in tablet form and part in liquid. If you are tapering, you would reduce the liquid part until it's gone, then consider either a smaller tablet dosage plus liquid or switch entirely to liquid.

When I make my liquid I have been stirring it with a plastic fork handle and than draw it up would this be not a good idea?

If you do it the same way each time and it works, it's fine.

Can someone tell me please:

How long does a suspension made with water last for in the fridge?

Does a suspension made with distilled water or a pharmacy suspension liquid last longer?

My rule of thumb has always been no more than a week, unless I get explicit stability information from a pharmacy or online.

This applies to suspensions made with distilled water or pharmacy liquid.

The major risk is spoilage from bacteria or mold, as with other opened foods in the refrigerator.

I had a really rough time changing from the paxil CR pills to the liquid paxil.  It's the whole reason I started my thread here.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9562-colonial-worsening-withdrawal-symptoms-changing-from-paxil-cr-to-liquid-suspension/page-1#

With the Paxil, the controlled release tablets work different than the liquid.  I also think our bodies become accustomed to absorbing it in a certain form, and it takes time to adjust.  If you're having symptoms  just from the change, I'd wait more than a week before lowering it.  I didn't, and I regretted it.

I don't know if "used" to it is the correct phrase, as I started the taper immediately.  But my symptoms were worse at the beginning from not giving myself the month recommended before the tamper. The change over to the liquid is already a "reduction" in a meaningful sense, which is why your having the symptoms.  It's not staying in your system as evenly as the CR Tablet.  Which is why it's recommended to wait a month from the change before you start tapering.  In a very real sense, you're already in withdrawal.

Any of you find the drug residue on the sides of the glass jar a problem? I add a small subset of liquid from my syringe to my Sertraline 50 mg tabs (halved for quicker dissolution). I then swirl the glass jar and add the rest of the liquid rinsing the side of the jar, trouble is I have to swirl the jar again to ensure even distribution of the drug but as a consequence the residue occurs again on the sides of the jar. How much of a problem is this in terms of reduced dosage of the drug going into the syringe?

A lot of those bits are filler and coating of the tablet. If you keep to the same method (same equipment, same steps, same order) each time, whatever loss there is due to this residue will be consistent -- don't worry about it.

Refrigeration delays the growth of bacteria and mold in your homemade liquid, which was not made under sterile conditions.

I have a question about making a suspension with my Seroquel tablets. I expect it it the same sort of problem with most tablets.

I did a practice with letting the tablet disintegrate (not dissolve, neither the binders, fillers, nor the Seroquel itself will dissolve). The tablet disintegrates in water pretty quickly but the itty bitty specks always have a few larger specks in there with them. I suspect this might be from the coating on the tablet not wanting to totally let go, but I'm not sure. It's just a very thin coating. Is this a concern? I have tried crushing with mortar and pestle or back of spoon and find this so difficult (doing it in water and rinsing everything into the jar) and my mental state so poor that I can't deal with it. So I want to know if I can just ignore the fact that the itty bitty specks are not exactly the same size.

there's a suspending liquid called Ora Plus  ;amazon.com sells it

https://www.amazon.com/PADDOCK-LABORATORIES-Ora-Plus-Suspending-Vehicle/dp/B000GGHSQM

Just read this whole thread to see if there is a post about the transition you speak of above, Alto. Why is it that there IS a transition....if the dose remains the same. I've been transitioning over to liquid Trazodone and honestly it feels like I'm on a totally different drug...different planet. It's profound, very spacey and out of it. Would love to understand what's going on. It doesn't seem like there would be such a big shift from letting a tablet dissolve in the stomach to dissolving the tablet first before it hits the stomach. Does everyone have this? Is it this way with each drug?

Think about it this way, which is going to be digested faster: a hunk of salt or the same quantity of salt dissolved in water?

The liquid is absorbed faster by your body. And if you are taking no other medications, you may metabolizing lower doses more quickly than previous higher doses. If you are taking other medications, you still may be metabolizing more quickly; it depends on whether the other meds use the same metabolic enzymes and pathways.

Hi,

Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place, I'd  posted in my intro thread but don't think anyone had seen it.

Just got a quick question about making liquid solutions:

I'm currently tapering off Betahistine. I crush an 8mg Betahistine tablet and add 16ml of water. Is it okay to crush two 8mg tablets in 32mls of water and keep them in the same jar?

I ask because I tried doing a 'bulk' lot of betahistine solution last night - six tablets in the equivalent amount of water. There's always plenty of powder visible swirling around regardless of how many tablets I use at a time and then it all collects at the bottom of the jar.... could loads of powder collecting at the bottom make it very difficult for any of it to dissolve?

Thanks guys

Elexis, you can make a liquid from multiple tablets as you've described. I would keep notes about the recipe, just to make sure you maintain consistency.

Be careful about storing homemade liquids. It's best not to keep any amount past a week. Like any edible, they can grow mold or bacteria and go bad.

Thanks Altostrata :) I take around 3 tablets a day so it'll make life so much easier being able to do it in bulk.

Will keep the 7 day limit in mind and make sure to wash the jars out.

Hi,

I used to dissolve my tablets in water after crushing them but I've recently tried just dissolving them as they are. It seems to work fine, they're very water soluble it appears.

I'm unsure as to the best way to do a bulk solution - would it be better to measure out the water, chuck all 4 tablets in at once and just leave them to dissolve or would it be best to dissolve one tablet at a time?

Thanks!

In your case, I might put all 3 tablets in at once and let them sit for 10 minutes or so. They should all dissolve, with some gentle shaking.

It's usually not a good idea to make a bulk solution, you'd want to keep it at most a week or 10 days, in the fridge.

Thanks Alto! :)

I'll make sure to only keep it a week, I'm still on really high doses of that particular medication so I expect it will only last me a few days.

Is it okay to leave it sitting at room temperature while the tablets dissolve?