Bogee, tapering off of Remeron

Bogee

I was originally switched back and forth from Prozac, Celexa and Wellbutrin some years ago.

I was finally put on Effexor XR 150 mg which seemed to work very well until two years ago when

I developed tinnitus and then eight months ago I started experiencing tremors in both hands and head shaking.

I tapered off of that over a seven month period and the tremors and tinnitus stopped.

I did very well actually for the next several months and then a hot summer spell I felt down and

was put on Wellbutrin. The tinnitus started within three days and then shaking and nausea. Just could not deal

with this med and got so sick that I ended up in a mental health ward for a few weeks getting off the wellbutrin

and there they put me on Remeron and of course after a bit tinnitus again, so now I have been reducing that and

am down to just 3 mg. My psychiatrist suggested I stay on this amount and see if the tinnitus stops, but it hasn't

up to this point. I just don't see any other alternative but to get off of it completely.

I never needed any kind of med until going through a few personal crises , including a mental break down.

This is why I have been checking the web to see if any one has been successful using Amoryn or another called Protazen.

Originally on Prozac, Celexa, Wellbutrin

then on Effexor which seemed to work for a while.

Effexor XR 50 mg for ten years.

Wellbutrin XL

Remeron

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Bogee,

I've never heard of either one of those two you are asking about. Welcome to the forum... I am trying to come off Remeron and other Meds also. I, too, am trying to cope with tinnitus. Several members here have tinnitus. It seems to be a withdrawal symptom but it may very well be a symptom of drug side effects, as well.

Sorry I don't know anything about the Meds in question.

Tezza

• Administrator

Welcome, Bogee. Yes, you did that right!

It seems to me that first, you have to get off Remeron, keeping withdrawal symptoms to a minimum. Very slow tapering might be what you want to do, to make sure a "relapse" is not withdrawal syndrome.

It sounds like you and antidepressants don't get along -- the tinnitus is a warning sign.

Some supplements can help boost general health while you're withdrawing, which is very stressful on the nervous system. A lot of people do well with

Plus, at least a half-hour of walking every day, regular hours, and plenty of sleep.

Some people say that fish oil helps depression. There's evidence that daily exercise helps. There are a lot of non-drug treatments.

As for Amoryn, St. John's Wort, etc., they're something you should not try until you're completely off Remeron and have no withdrawal symptoms. If you take them with Remeron, you won't know if you're having adverse reactions to those supplements or withdrawal symptoms from Remeron. They may conflict with Remeron or interact in an undesirable way.

As far as I know, there are no supplements you can take to speed up tapering or cure withdrawal syndrome.

So, first things first, slowly going off Remeron.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

Hey, Bogee, how are you doing?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.