Tips for tapering off Effexor and Effexor XR (venlafaxine)

Altostrata

Hi @Altostrata

Recently I've found a study where liquid solution was made from crushed extended release beads using Ora-Plus suspension vehicle (which can be bought on Amazon) 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23696051/

I am also using Ora-Plus to make a suspension from crushed extended release mini tablets and it seems to work fine I've found a pharmacy recipe for venlafaxine suspension which stated that both immediate and extended release venlafaxine can be used with this vehicle

https://www.uspharmacist.com/article/venlafaxine-hydrochloride-15-mg-ml#:~:text=Thoroughly pulverize the venlafaxine hydrochloride,final volume and mix well.

I don't know if it should be added to the first post of this thread, some countries don't have immediate release venlafaxine (like mine) so many people could benefit from the knowledge that they can switch to liquid for more accurate dosing and most notably for end game taper.

V.

Duloxetine 2016/17 - 30/60mg/30mg, c/t, light WD.

Sertraline June 2019 50mg ADR

Clorazepate June 2019 20-15-10mg for 3 weeks then sparsely until 2022, 2 times per month max and very low dose (5mg)

Clorazepate Jan2022 10mg 5 days 2,5mg 2 days then off

Venlafaxine June 2019 75mg ADR, 17,5mg, titrated to 37,5mg

Venlafaxine Jan 2022 Covid, hard ADR on 37,5mg, reduced to 20mg ADR, tried ct, crash,

Venlafaxine 22Jan22 reinstated 9,4mg, too low/ 01Feb22- 12mg/ 12Feb- 11,25mg/ 16Feb- 11mg/ 20Feb- 10,8mg/ 24Feb22-10,575mg/ 16Mar22- 10,46mg/ 26Mar22- 10,35mg/ 26Apr22- 10mg/ 01Oct- 9,9mg/ 13Nov- 9,7mg

01Jan24-7,5mg

MAR24

Due to another sudden intolerance had to fast taper venlafaxine to 1,14mg 

Seems like all of this time I was in benzo withdrawal, because when I took it now in desperation to help it made me feel worse, tried reinstatement first 1mg, then 0,05mg both made me feel worse.

• Administrator
On 5/5/2011 at 8:01 PM, Altostrata said:

At the end of the taper: Make a liquid from venlafaxine extended-release beads

If you have generic venlafaxine XR or Pfizer Effexor XR or Efexor XR in gelatin capsules filled with tiny beads, you probably will want to reduce by counting beads for most of your taper. But when you're down to 9 beads, how do you taper by 10%?

You can make a liquid with water from those beads. This has been proven to be stable (for 30 days) and effective: Rosa, N. F. D., & Sharley, N. A. (2008). Stability of Venlafaxine Hydrochloride Liquid Formulations Suitable for Administration via Enteral Feeding Tubes. Journal of Pharmacy Practice and Research, 38(3), 212–215. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2055-2335.2008.tb00841.x

When the beads are dissolved in water or pharmacy liquid, the drug become immediate-release venlafaxine with a much shorter half-life. You may wish to take it 2 or 3 times a day (see the section above about immediate-release venlafaxine).

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 month later...
On 9/16/2023 at 10:28 PM, Guest said:

While looking for a Venlafaxine XR/Effexor XR serotonin occupancy chart, I found it alongside ones for other drugs.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41380-021-01285-w/figures/1

However, I'd like to see one for Effexor XR that is much more detailed for the range between 0mg and 5mg.

Can anyone provide a chart like this?

If I got this correctly you can find the related data points for the chart in the article on p. 196. Unfortunately there are only 14 data points for Venlafaxine and this is a rather small sample. At 5mg there is 40% +/-1 receptor occupancy and at 2.4mg there is 25% +/-13 (so i guess 2 data points at 2.4mg with 12% and 38% respectively).

I also think it would be interesting to know more about this. And 38% receptor occupancy at 2.4mg sounds terrifying to me. It looks like there is a lot of variation, which would help to explain why some people get off Venlafaxine more easily.

2001 - ~2003 Paroxetine, quit cold turkey
2005 - Dez. 2023 Venlafaxine, most of the time 75mg, for about 4 years 37,5mg
Dez 2023 - 03/13/2024 quitting Venlafaxine (too fast, skipping doses)
since 04/07/2024 Venlafaxine 12,5mg

04/17/2024 Venlafaxine 25mg

First they sell an addictive drug as harmless and then they leave you alone dosing fractions of miligrams correctly or plunging into the abyss.

Hello,

this is quite a lot of information and quitting seems to be a tight rope. Reading all this it seems that you have to be prepared to dose fractions of miligrams when trying to quit Venlafaxin (you might be lucky and manage otherwise but who knows), because receptor occupancy is already very high at tiny doses.

As mentioned here https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/forums/topic/1596-using-a-scale-to-weigh-and-measure-doses/

weighing is not really an option when it comes to such doses since affordable scales lack the required accuracy.

However weighing could be useful before for stashing and preparing higher doses, especially if it's possible to use empty gelatin (or vegetarian) capsules bought somewhere (as is suggested in the link above).

Sry if I missed the answers somewhere, but can you do this with Venlafaxin? Can you fill third party capsules with crushed immediate release tablets or with beads from the Effexor original brand? Would the original beads stay extended release?

When it comes to those very tiny doses, what is better, solving immediate release tablets in water or using the beads? Can you take the beads without capsule or would you have to put e.g. 5 beads back into a capsule?

If you solve a tablet in water, how long can you use the liquid? For one dose, two doses, three days, one week ...?

I think that dosing fractions of miligrams is a pretty tall order and I am pretty scared that the active ingredient won't get evenly distributed when I crush tablets or solve them in water.

2001 - ~2003 Paroxetine, quit cold turkey
2005 - Dez. 2023 Venlafaxine, most of the time 75mg, for about 4 years 37,5mg
Dez 2023 - 03/13/2024 quitting Venlafaxine (too fast, skipping doses)
since 04/07/2024 Venlafaxine 12,5mg

04/17/2024 Venlafaxine 25mg

First they sell an addictive drug as harmless and then they leave you alone dosing fractions of miligrams correctly or plunging into the abyss.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy