SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

The Serenity Prayer

Altostrata

• Administrator

God grant me the serenity

to accept the things I cannot change;

courage to change the things I can;

and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;

Enjoying one moment at a time;

Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;

Taking, as He did, this sinful world

as it is, not as I would have it;

Trusting that He will make all things right

if I surrender to His Will;

That I may be reasonably happy in this life

and supremely happy with Him

Forever in the next.

Amen.

--Reinhold Niebuhr

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Administrator

People often ask how they can know which of their symptoms come from neurological damage and which they are generating themselves from worry or manageable anxiety.

To me, whether or not you believe in God, the wisdom to know the difference is the hard part. You need to look into yourself and decide for yourself what you can and cannot control. This is different from person to person.

Surviving Antidepressant's position is that learning to tell the difference is an aspect of the inner strength you develop in coping with your condition.

We do have neurological dysfunction we may not be able to control yet, for the sake of recovery, we cannot give in to endless fear about it.

It's up to the individual to determine what you can and cannot control. This may push some of us to take responsibility for our well-being in a way we previously neglected.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I love some of the wisdom within the Serenity Prayer!

Very much agree with your subsequent post. Excellent points to, not only ponder, but to act upon.

Punar

To Face My Trials with "The Grace of a Woman Rather Than the Grief of a Child". (quote section by Veronica A. Shoffstall)

Be Not Afraid of Growing Slowly. Be Afraid of Only Standing Still.

(Chinese Proverb)

I Create and Build Empowerment Within Each Time I Choose to Face A Fear, Sit with it and Ask Myself, "What Do I Need to Learn?"

You could spend a lifetime just contemplating this prayer, it has so much in it.

This is a very helpful philosophy to live by. And people can substitute the word "Nature" or "the Universe" or "the Tao" and it works well, too.

1996-97 - Paxil x 9 months, tapered, suffered 8 months withdrawal but didn't know it was withdrawal, so...

1998-2001 - Zoloft, tapered, again unwittingly went into withdrawal, so...

2002-03 - Paxil x 20 months, developed severe headaches, so...

Sep 03 - May 05 - Paxil taper took 20 months, severe physical, moderate psychological symptoms

Sep 03 - Jun 05 - took Prozac to help with Paxil taper - not recommended

Jul 05 to date - post-taper, severe psychological, moderate physical symptoms, improving very slowly

I keep a copy of the Serenity Prayer in my wallet. It's there when I need it.

When I have a particular lousy day, I find myself saying the prayer. Sometimes I mix up the words, but I know it doesn't make any difference.

I think it means different things to different people.

Charter Member 2011

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy