Nervous first post by Determined

Determined

Ok, after reading lots of post here I am finding the courage to jump in! 25 days from last dose of strattera and prestiq and seem to be doing so so. Working with a naturopath and on a healthly protocal of amino acids, vitamins and minerals. Over the years I have been on several combos of AD and physc meds. I want to thank all of you for your posts, I am truly inspired! I know now I tapered way to quickly and started working with the naturopath right after last dose, she suggested jumping back on the strattera and doing a slower tapper, but I do feel like it is time. I honestly thought I would need to be "placed" in patient to be able to be free from these meds, but I am determined!!! Have had severe scattered thoughts and some depression symptoms but I just keep telling myself this is temporary. Ok, enough for now. Please be kind, posting this is so new and this is some serious risk taking for me.

300mg lamictal 160mg strattera 50mg prestiq

Taper off of all three over last 4-6 months

Last dose 8/25/2012

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Determined,

Welcome to the forum. My experience is that people are kind and gentle here. Most importantly, we know how difficult it is to work through

these issues and make good decisions for yourself.

As you have indicated you have gone off really quick. I appreciate your desire not to be on the drugs but please listen to your body. If it gives you

really strong messages that it cant handle the drop then reinstate. Having to go back on is not a sign of weakness or lack of will. In many instances

its about taking full responsibility for your well being.

In my experience and having read the posts of many others, you cant 'wait out' significant withdrawal effects. They don't get better, like withdrawals from

giving up smoking for example. I was off for 3 months at one stage, couldn't sleep at all, was dizzy, had nausea, visual disturbance etc. I thought I could push

through. I didn't reinstate because I couldn't hack it anymore, I reinstated because pushing through wasn't working.

That's not the case for everyone, you might be lucky. I wouldn't risk it and I would have a plan b. The worst possible outcome is that you stay off it, experience

debilitating withdrawal symptoms and then when you decide to reinstate it doesn't work. Many people are in this scenario and my heart goes out to them. I have the luxury of

tapering and I'm not taking that for granted.

Please don't be scared, we will give you our perspective but will be gentle. All we would ask is that you are gentle on yourself.

Take care

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes welcome to the forums and yes ditto EVERYTHING Dalsaan said.

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

http://prozacwithdrawal.blogspot.com/
Original drug was sertraline/Zoloft, switched to Prozac in 2007.
Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

Hi Determined. Welcome to the forum.

I got through the several month taper (Pristiq) with some anxiety and insomnia prior to finding this group. However, i was hit with protracted withdrawal (very different than relapse) a few months after my last dose when it was too late to reinstate. I tried a small dose of Pristiq about a year after my taper and it sent me into orbit with anxious energy, a response I never had previously. I say this as an example of how sensitized we become as these drugs change our neurobiology. There is no predictable pattern in how we will respond again, if at all.

I like your screenname. In the withdrawal of these drugs, the determination necessary is different: to have patience and continue to TAKE the drug even after realizing that it's been harmful. Very difficult!

I'm glad you found this group and decided to introduce yourself.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Administrator

Welcome, Determined.

Being determined is very important, but you have to take care of your nervous system, too.

Finding that balance is a challenge for all of us.

What are your symptoms now? What kinds of supplements are you taking?

Your naturopath seems like a sensible doctor.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hello, sorry so late in responding. Thanks for friendly welcomes. I went back my journal and although the taper was pretty quick it was a bit slower then what I indicated. Today is day 34 and I doing ok. Symptoms as of late have been pretty tolerable. At first I had the body pulses not zaps, extremely tired but sleeping really well. One of the biggest symptoms is delusional self centered thinking. It's been a constant battle in my head. I do hot yoga and this is where I have noticed some neuro symptoms, body pulses, some face twitching, dizziness and nausea. The ND has expirence with AD withdrawel and the clinic has a protocal for depression. 5HTP, Tyrosine are the amino acids and then she also has me taking a serious dose of all the B vitamins, D, C, MSM, fish oil and some minerals as well (taking more pills than ever!) plan is to get me feeling the best I can for a good chunk of time then tapering the amino acids. PMS has been horrible with my perception of others this last week and we are waiting for results from 24 hour urine collection for hormone testing. I am off to work. Be back soon!

Last dose 8/25/2012

• Administrator

The ND has expirence with AD withdrawel and the clinic has a protocal for depression. 5HTP, Tyrosine are the amino acids and then she also has me taking a serious dose of all the B vitamins, D, C, MSM, fish oil and some minerals as well (taking more pills than ever!) plan is to get me feeling the best I can for a good chunk of time then tapering the amino acids. PMS has been horrible with my perception of others this last week and we are waiting for results from 24 hour urine collection for hormone testing.

Please be cautious with naturopathic treatments for depression. Withdrawal syndrome is a completely different beast from depression.

Alternative practitioners tend to treat "depression" with stimulating treatments, while withdrawal syndrome is a hypersensitivity to stimulation. What we have seen is naturopaths don't understand withdrawal syndrome any better than doctors do, and some of those treatments might make you worse.

B vitamins in high dosages are particularly risky. Please observe how your body reacts after you take them.

Are you getting the urine test for cortisol? What is the plan to deal with high cortisol, if it shows up in the test?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thanks Altostrata- This is good to know. I am feeling very fortunate due to low level of WD symptoms that I have had thus far. I had not experienced any side effects with the vitamins?? Yes, the urine test will have cortisol levels as well. Next appt with Nat Doc is Monday and I am hoping she will have the results by then.

I am counting my blessings with this so far. I have been on and off so many medications in the last 25 years as well as doing some serious self medicating over the years. Three and a half years ago I started taking accountability with only using the meds I was prescribed and taking them the way there were prescribed and ended up being on the Prestiq and strattera then my 20 year old son died and lamictal was added. I refused ANY benzos or sleeping meds due to a couple of previous long battles coming off these evil monsters.

This was 7/13/2009 and I knew if I didn’t take care of myself I would die as well. I began seeing a chiropractor also doing massage and acupuncture. Quit a 26 year old nicotine habit. My entire spiritual belief system changed and I began going to yoga and attempting meditation. Eight months ago I started eating only plant based food as best I could, I maintain about 90% plant based lately. I began feeling great and started to question if I really needed to be on these meds.

And here I am!

Last dose 8/25/2012

• Administrator

If you feel up to it, please share your spiritual journey in our Finding Meaning forum. We all learn so much from each other.

Determined, I would love to hear about how you quit smoking. Did you gain any weight as a result? I've smoked my entire adult life, and actually am smoking more now during withdrawal. That may have more to do with the fact that I'm at home all the time than anything else.

Thanks,

Sparrow

2009-2011: tapered off Trazodone, Namenda, Lamictal, Dextroamphetamine, Zyprexa; cold-turkeyed Pristiq; reduced Lexapro dose 50%.
On clonazepam since 2004, 0.5 - 1.0 mg daily PRN. Three failed (too rapid) partial tapers, 2010 - 2011.
Dec. 2011 - March 2013: Tapered off 0.5 mg clonazepam (Klonopin)

August 2013: Switched to liquid escitalopram (Lexapro) and began tapering from 10 mg.

January 2014: 4.5 mg escitalopram

March 2014: One year off benzos

May 2014: 3.0 mg escitalopram

June 2014: severe depression, updosed to 4.0 mg

Sept 1, 2014: 2.7 mg

Dec 7, 2014: Can't get below 2.5 mg without unbearable symptoms. Doing an extended hold (I hope)

March 2015: TWO YEARS POST-BENZO

Determined,

Kudos! I admire the life changes you've made and would also like to hear more.

I'm very sorry to hear of your son's death.

B

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Moderator Emeritus

Determined,

I'm so sorry about your loss. Everyone is very caring and supportive here. I'm glad you found us. Alto has been a great help to me with advice and guidance. Others here have been a lot of help to me also. I wish the best for you!

Take care,

Tezza

Hello Sparrow and Barbarannamated-I had quit smoking and had 20 days when my son died, prior to his death he could not believe I had put the smokes down. Of course, I started again but two months later only by knowing how proud he was of me not smoking, I made another attempt. I started when I was 15 and had only tried to quit one other time, made it 30 days or so day. I used the patches for a couple of months then went to the gum for another couple of months. I had to go back to the patch to get off the gum, lol. It took nine months total to get completely off the nicotine replacement. This was a much healther taper than my AD!! My quit date was 9/9/09 and I am 14lb heavier to date. I really try and watch my eating, I have such an additive personality!! I really believe I had and still have so much help from above. I truly believe those love ones who pass before us assist us in many ways with our struggles. There is no way in hell I could have done all that I have done in the last three years without some serious divine assistance!!

I am so filled with gratitude to be a part of this site. I have support with some other "areas" in my life but the AD topic is a bit taboo. Thanks so much for being here!!

Last dose 8/25/2012

I hope you all the best in this quest Determined we are all fighting here and sorry about your loss, your son is really proud of you ! Keep up the fight and you definitely are inspiring others in this journey aside from yourself ! This is the best place to be,

Take care

2007-2012started Effexor xr 225mg -150mg- Varied2months of Taper,(March 22/2012 Off Med/in W/D)Currently No medicationMarch 22/2012- August 16/2012 - Totally Off Effexor( Rough Rough time) Reinstatement for a week(didn't work)****** New Doctor******* Very nice/helpful and in touch.Tried Zoloft- No successAUGUST 17/2012- STARTED 37.5 EFFEXOR FOR ONE WEEK - NOT GOOD < STOPPED.Started Buspar Oct 11th 2012----10 mg for the first 7 days and then 15mg a day---- Taking a new route----Racing thoughts - Gone.Oct 9th ( Done Zoloft,wellbutrin week project trial to feel better) - OFFICIALLY OFF ANTI DEPRESSANT !Oct 26 - Raised Buspar to 20mg a day- Tolerating wellJan 2nd 2013-

Reduce Buspar until full off march 20th 2015 Off all medication !

Tried natural supplements to no avail

Gluten/sugar free since december 2013