SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

xamendrummerx Zoloft cold turkey in '07, now relapsed from hyper sensitivity

xamendrummerx

I took a long time to heal when I cold turkeyed Zoloft and endured withdrawal in '07 (and I was switched to Celexa and cold turkeyed that too). I stopped taking because of the sleep panic and RLS that was cropping up more and more in early '07. It left me hyper sensitive to a lot of things I thought were harmless. I got through it using other medications like amitriptyline and Klonopin. Now years later I've taken hydrocortisone cream for itchiness I was getting from exercise. Now my symptoms have returned full force from using the cream. I felt the impact in me the next day. I get huge sleep panic right as I drift off to sleep. This has always been my major problem for me in withdrawal and the damage done from SSRIs. I feel like it's extreme insomnia and never stayed up to find out longer than 30-36 hours. I've been taking Klonopin as needed now. But it seems to be backfiring and making me lose more sleep in the long run! It's protecting me for when I get the sleep panic, but later on other days it seems to be contributing to even worse sleep! I'm terrified of staying up for days without no sleep at all. If I keep going like this to get protected by Klonopin I feel like I'm not certain if it will damage me as much as the cream has. It could take a year and a half to even find out if I've gotten better from the damage done from the cream, but taking Klonopin as needed for that long might prolong my suffering by years! I don't like insomnia and am worried I'll hurt myself or OD on something by mistake in insomnia confusion. I don't feel like I can sleep at all without medical assistance when an extreme wave is happening. It feels like amitriptyline messed up my antihistamine, and Klonopin messed up my GABA, and Keppra gives me rebound insomnia as well when I sleep too long on it (but sleeping too long is rare). These all used to be very useful in helping me sleep. Now Klonopin doesn't feel like it's working positively for my sleep anymore. Keppra isn't bad when it's working, but when it doesn't work it feels like it's relaxed my body for a day and made it think it was asleep and resting (meanwhile I'm awake and suffering through being sleepy but not sleeping), so then my body doesn't want to relax at all till the next day. There is so much more to say but I'm very fatigued lately.

I honestly don't know how I got well in the original cold turkey withdrawal. Was it the healing power of time, or was it getting stabilized on another drug that made the sleep panic a lot more tolerable and made the body forget about the damage done? So do I reinstate Klonopin with daily use to hope to get stable and break the cycles of insomnia waves, or hope that time was the healing factor all along that got me through? Can I even heal after so many mistakes that occured because other products damaged me after I healed from the w/d? What to do? I don't like staying awake so long.

Zoloft cold turkey in early '07. Survived withdrawal with other meds.

Hypersensitive to certain products/food/chemicals ever since. I'm not imagining things since they occur the day after I take them or tried something new the day before.

• Moderator Emeritus

welcome. I can't answer any questions for you as I am a newbie to the site but I can tell you that you are asking the type of questions that people here have expertise and experience in. They will be along.

In the meantime, just try to remain calm ( I know easy for me to say) and maybe look in the Symptoms and self help thread. There are some good, natural suggestions such as breathing techniques and such to help relax. You should be comforted to know that one of the things I hear over and over here is "it WILL get better" and it does. Again.Welcome :)

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

Thank you for welcoming me, areyouthere. I come from another w/d board but didn't want to stay there any longer. I am very used to hearing it will get better on that board too. I am simply worried I can't get better after relapsing after so long of being well. I've actually relapsed twice now into my old symptoms because I used medication and cream I shouldn't have.

Hypersensitive to certain products/food/chemicals ever since. I'm not imagining things since they occur the day after I take them or tried something new the day before.

Hi. I'm sorry you're having this flareup of hypersensitivity.

How long have you used the hydrocortisone cream? I'm afraid I dont have any immediate thoughts for you, but I am very interested in your reaction because I feel I'm having a negative reaction to hydrocortisone oral taken for autoimmune disorders. My mood is worse than ever in withdrawal.

Others with more experience will have ideas for you. Hang in there.

B

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Hi. I'm sorry you're having this flareup of hypersensitivity.

How long have you used the hydrocortisone cream? I'm afraid I dont have any immediate thoughts for you, but I am very interested in your reaction because I feel I'm having a negative reaction to hydrocortisone oral taken for autoimmune disorders. My mood is worse than ever in withdrawal.

Others with more experience will have ideas for you. Hang in there.

B

I only applied it once. I don't think I used it a second time. I'm not sure how much exactly was applied but it must've been a decent amount scooped up once or twice on my fingers and rubbed on my skin. I was really doing great until I applied the cream. It's ridiculous to think it was from one use. Many would not believe it. I looked up cortisol a long time ago in '09 and understood it can mess you up in w/d and cause the problems I was having in '07. Someone bought it for me and I didn't really give it a second thought that it said hydrocortisone, since it was late and I wanted to sleep so I applied it fast. I couldn't sleep without it. And now I never sleep normally since I used it. If I can recover at all from this, I need to stay away from just about every product out there other than regular food and maybe Keppra. I was really hoping to get rid of it too.

• Administrator

Hello, xamen, welcome.

It's going off and on and cold turkey on various drugs that's made your nervous system hypersensitive.

Yes, if you're hypersensitive from withdrawal syndrome, hormones can set off unusual reactions.

It is entirely possible you have rebound from the Klonopin.

Exactly what medications are you taking now? What's been your history with Keppra?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, I too would like to understand better how you are dosing the Klonopin. If you're taking it regularly then it's not surprising that it's not helping any more, benzos do that, our bodies develop tolerance to them fairly quickly. Unfortunately when that's the case we also develop dependence so if we miss a day we get withdrawal symptoms.

Benzo withdrawal right now would definitely cause and aggravate the symptoms you are describing.

No quick and easy answers, as you know, but with more information, we might collectively be able to help you think about how to manage the meds you're on right now in a way that will support you in becoming more stable.

I know there is nothing worse than not being able to sleep--because that makes everything worse. Please know that you have my sympathy and support.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Hey guys, it's been almost 4 months since I used the hydrocortisone cream and got a relapse of my old withdrawal symptoms, and things haven't improved at all. I guess I only like coming here when I can't sleep, like today. I get so worried that something awful will happen from insomnia. I don't know what my limit is. Like the things I hear about hallucinating and other things that can happen with lack of sleep. I might overdose on something by mistake if I'm confused from lack of sleep. Is doing 48 hours a bad thing in the long run? I always used to cave in at 30 hours with .5mg or 1mg of Klonopin, but I didn't do it last time since it's started giving me long rebound insomnia. Last year I took it to help me sleep through PACs I was having at the time (that was Oct. '11), and the rebound insomnia lasted over 3 months just from one dose of .5mg of Klonopin. I couldn't get a normal amount of sleep regularly.

Today I ate two pieces of cake, I think that's what set me off. I'm thinking it was too much sugar for my CNS. Today I'm having RLS (legs, arms, neck) on top of the sleep panic and butterflies in my stomach/chest as I drift off to sleep. The RLS usually happens only when I have a stomach full of something my CNS does not like. I'm also urinating often and dehydrating like crazy from it, and losing weight each time this happens.

To answer your question Alto, I cold turkeyed Zoloft way back in '07 and I feel like I will forever be hypersensitive at this rate. I'm always having setbacks due to either not knowing any better about what will affect me badly or I'm running into something that relapses me by mistake like the hydrocortisone cream. My progress is worse and worse as the years go by and when I run into a setback. I read a bunch of your posts on another site years ago about cortisol but I wasn't paying attention that the hydrocortisone cream is the same thing. I'm on Keppra to help me sleep and lower my fight-or-flight.

Rhi, I only took a .5mg Klonopin dose 4-5 times in the last 4 months. However, I used to take Klonopin for a year straight 2 years ago to get me through a severe reaction to Celexa when I tried reinstating an SSRI. I only took a few bits of a Celexa pill each day (only one 25mg pill was used over the course of 3 weeks) and after that I got seizures from it at bedtime but didn't even pay attention until my sleep panic returned daily. I was surviving for 6 months till I caved in due to the Celexa reinstatement going horribly and other physical issues I was having. I used benzos very sparingly during those 6 months. After I caved in, I stayed on .5mg to 1mg Klonopin daily for over a year until the bad reaction to Celexa was gone. I had no problem getting off the Klonopin after that. Now taking Klonopin only once a month isn't even possible since it's now giving me huge rebound insomnia. It's worn out its welcome and reinstating has made things worse. I was hoping it wouldn't come to Klonopin also screwing me over like SSRIs did, but it no longer works. Maybe taking it sparingly makes my CNS desire it on a daily basis again and is a sign that I was dependent on it in the old days. Is the rebound insomnia a sign of dependence or something else when you reinstate a benzo? Would the rebound go away if I took it daily or would it get worse?

Do you think something like Klonopin is sometimes necessary to break the cycle of insomnia, or did my body get well all on its own in the past? Like staying on Klonopin for a year, would my body forget the symptoms it was having by suppressing my CNS every day, or can my body heal on its own? Can drugs break cycles to heal you over time or does it happen on its own anyway? Should I stop depending on Klonopin when I have really bad days? I always wondered if taking it sparingly actually confused the body and if it would be better to stay on it daily (and if that's the reason I got better in the past from my Celexa setback). But with the rebound insomnia I'm getting now I don't feel safe at all anymore.

I feel like my adrenals have mutated. It's been almost 6 years since I cold turkeyed Zoloft and I'm still hypersensitive with things like hydrocortisone and most anything in a pharmacy. I think I'll always be hypersensitive and one step away from being in a dangerous situation.

Damn it took me 40 minutes to write this.

• Administrator

Yes, it's possible you will be hypersensitive for a long time after your cold turkey.

There's a lot of discussion about hypersensitivity in our Symptoms forum, and suggestions for dealing with insomnia.

If a benzo is giving you terrible rebound symptoms now, I wouldn't figure on taking more of it. A severe paradoxical reaction can make you much, much worse.

Withdrawal insomnia is driven by unusual alerting from your hypersensitive nervous system, which also governs your waking hours. I found it didn't lead to the usual hallucinations, etc. claimed for normal insomnia. It feels horrible, though.

Do you sleep after 2 days awake?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Do you think something like Klonopin is sometimes necessary to break the cycle of insomnia, or did my body get well all on its own in the past? Like staying on Klonopin for a year, would my body forget the symptoms it was having by suppressing my CNS every day, or can my body heal on its own? Can drugs break cycles to heal you over time or does it happen on its own anyway? Should I stop depending on Klonopin when I have really bad days? I always wondered if taking it sparingly actually confused the body and if it would be better to stay on it daily (and if that's the reason I got better in the past from my Celexa setback). But with the rebound insomnia I'm getting now I don't feel safe at all anymore.

I've wondered the same thing in relation to benzos, since in 2008 I successfully reinstated Zoloft and Wellbutrin with the help of clonazepam. I used the clonazepam as needed, which was pretty much every day for a month. Now I can't seem to handle any benzo without getting awful rebound anxiety, but I haven't used them with any consistency. Maybe five tries in all in the past 18 months. But then again, I'm not reinstating. I think being off all meds it's best not to throw in another complicating factor. Even as I hope for a quicker solution I keep on coming back to the conclusion that the best I can do is gentler treatments that don't upset the balance my brain is so desperately trying to reach. Even for people who have never taken SSRIs, benzos eventually upset your CNS.

I think the first step you need to take is to not worry about any horrible consequences of not sleeping. The more you worry, the less likely you will sleep on your own! Try meditating, deep breathing, etc. in lieau of sleep and see if you can get your body to fall asleep on it's own, even if it takes a few days. Try epsom salts baths, too. The longest I've ever gone without sleep is 60 something hours, but I know other people who have gone more. They got loopy, but didn't die. Of course, before you take my advice it's probably a good idea to get a medical checkup.

What you say about the hydrocortisone cream is interesting... I had a terrible relapse a couple of days ago, with terrible anxiety, insomnia, depersonalization, etc... I felt like I was in a horrible nightmare, and had not felt that bad since last year. Your post reminded me that a few days ago I used some hydrocortisone suppositories. I wonder if that contributed to my awful wave!

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I'm back. I was last here almost two weeks ago. I've been doing better with the rebound insomnia I got from the Klonopin so I felt I shouldn't stress myself out by going here too much. But yesterday I ate a garlic dish and now my nerves feel completely crazed. I'm convulsing and having RLS when I try to sleep, and of course my usual sleep panic. I think my stomach nerves are really doing badly from the garlic. I always try to stay on the same diet to help me sleep easier and haven't had a garlic dish for ages, so I really think the garlic is the culprit or at least related to this really bad day.

Alto, thanks for the info about the hallucinations, I really am terrified of such things. And the longest I've gone awake is 36 hours. Never was awake for 2 days, but for years I always got to sleep with the aid of a benzo when I caved in at 30 hours or so. After years of use, I only recently have gotten the courage to not resort to benzos (the long term rebound insomnia was the reason I tried to quit relying on benzos last month). But it feels like today my nerves have gone crazy from the garlic food I ate. I'm at my worst today, as bad as when I used the hydrocortisone cream in June. It might be a wave but it doesn't feel like it's coming directly from me, but the food. I feel just as awful today as I did when I took the cream.

Wow Nadia, 60 hours sounds crazy to me. I figured I could only do 48. I hope the hydrocortisone is not affecting you long term like it did me. And I will stay away from benzos hopefully as long as I can help it since they've turned against me too.

• Administrator

Yes, I find when my stomach is agitated, my other symptoms are worse.

People are finding non-irritating diets to be helpful in recovery. Go to the Symptoms forum and search for GAPS and paleo.

Is there anything I can do to speed up digesting and getting rid of the last traces of what I ate yesterday, or is it my nerves feeling the after effects for awhile and there's nothing I can do right now? Like ginger tea, is it any good for speeding up clearing your stomach? It's all I have right now.

I really try to eat the simplest foods already but thanks for the suggestions. It's when I change my routine things seem to go badly. But it seems impossible to eat the same meals everyday.

• Administrator

People often do well with ginger tea.

You'll probably just have to let your system settle down.

I'm barely eating today and lost 2 pounds over the day (I have no motivation to eat during insomnia), and I'm urinating often. That's making me lose a ton of weight also. It's hard keeping up my weight like this. Plus I didn't sleep enough the previous night to have a better chance at having some energy today. All this has made me feel weak and dizzy (and worried). Do you guys have a terrible appetite if you haven't slept?

• Administrator

I went through this.

Try to eat things that are appealing. I could get yogurt, chicken soup, and buttery croissants down.

Also try to get a bit of exercise, like gentle walking at least 1/2 hour a day.

Did you guys improve on your own without the aid of any kind of sleep meds? I've been used things like antihistamines and benzos over the years when I was in withdrawal. I wonder if they helped me heal or I would have on my own anyway. And I actually had withdrawal disappear completely a few weeks after I'd used melatonin combined with amitriptyline. But melatonin is a supplement so I don't think it counts as a strong sleep aid like benzos.

• Moderator Emeritus

Did you guys improve on your own without the aid of any kind of sleep meds? I've been used things like antihistamines and benzos over the years when I was in withdrawal. I wonder if they helped me heal or I would have on my own anyway. And I actually had withdrawal disappear completely a few weeks after I'd used melatonin combined with amitriptyline. But melatonin is a supplement so I don't think it counts as a strong sleep aid like benzos.

Hi xamen, Sorry you have had such a tough go of it. Unfortunately, the only thing that helps heal withdrawal is time. A low dose of melatonin or an antihistamine can help you deal with symptoms but do nothing to shorten the duration. Benzos should be avoided as they have their own withdrawal profile and people can get addicted within a couple of weeks. It sounds like you may have avoided that trap so far but you are always at risk. I've been tapering off benzos for over 2 years and it has not been a cake walk.

Also see Sleep Remedies on a PRN basis S=

SS

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Wow. I feel your pain as I am zoloft free for 4 months after being on it for 10 years. I was hoping that being on a good nutrition program would be my answer, but unfortunately, no. It has helped tremendously though. So, from your posts, I can't tell what you are on now or what your diet is like. Since, drugs don't cure you, i suggest you get on a good nutrition program. Have you seen the book the Mood Cure? I am working through some of my issues with this. I have discovered that the zoloft has been masking things that have been going on with me, like high cortisol levels and menopause. I don't think you can just start taking stuff and see everything go away. It seems that it is a process that you have to go through one step at a time. And it takes time. :(

If I were you:

1. Get on a good nutrition program, multi vitamin and mineral, cal/mag, EFAs (I can let you know what I take if you wish)

2. Get the mood cure book. moodcure.com

3. Research some of the meds you are on. My go to's are: Dr. Peter Breggin and Dr. Charles Whitaker. They both have written some great books. I am also seeing a therapist to help with the psychological things too. I chose a really bad time to go zoloft free and need someone to talk to.

4. Depending on your age, etc., you may need additional testing, etc. to bring you back to balance.

Let me know if you have any questions.

cc

Hi... yeah, the 60 hours was pretty crazy, I felt like I was hallucinating, but I should say this was when I was younger. I worked a 36 hour shift a couple of years ago and that felt worse than the 60 hours. I was on Zoloft then, though. My point was that you should not be afraid of dying from lack of sleep. I believe your body would protect you from that. Last year I would eventually break down and sleep, even if it was light and short. Your body is trying to keep you safe, it's just thinks there is danger when there isn't. But it "knows" you need to rest, too.

I have gotten better from this last horrible relapse, too... which I think was definitely not helped by the hydrocortisone. I'm really glad to have read your thread to have made the connection. I realized that I also used hydrocortisone last year when I was not doing well. It was before I started keeping a journal so I don't know the exact impact but am thinking it may have been another factor in how bad I got last year.

A couple of days ago I even had two nights of not waking up with horrible anxiety. I woke up several times throughout the night but no dread and only very light anxiety. Now the andiety is back, but to where I was before the hydrocortisone.

For me, even antihistamines can eventually backfire. The better I am the less reactive I am. Right now I've cut out even fish oils, plus wheat and chocolate and sugar. I am only taking magnesium. My best days happened two days after quitting the supplements, fish oils, and wheat. Is there a connection? Who knows.

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

• Moderator Emeritus

For me, even antihistamines can eventually backfire. The better I am the less reactive I am. Right now I've cut out even fish oils, plus wheat and chocolate and sugar. I am only taking magnesium. My best days happened two days after quitting the supplements, fish oils, and wheat. Is there a connection? Who knows.

Antihistamines give me huge problems with Restless Legs. I can't go near them as I get NO sleep when those are bad. And the sedative effect from antihistamines wears off.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Since my last bout with insomnia I've been sensing my eyes feel a bit off and blurry when I read a book or look at certain things. It's not improving even after I slept. I also notice the floaters people get in their eyes. I've had them my whole life but it feels like they've doubled in annoyance. Maybe I'm just paranoid or imagining things from lack of sleep but I've slept two good nights since the bout with insomnia but my eyes don't feel like their old selves. You guys ever get problems with vision after insomnia even after getting recovery sleep?

I've added what I'm taking in my signature since my case is so complicated. I won't attempt to explain all that I've done to get where I am because no one could follow it. My own mom can't even follow my medical history in person so I'll keep things current with what I'm taking and how I feel. This is all that's in my house concerning meds. There's Keppra, Atenolol, Prevacid, Melatonin, Klonopin, Trazodone, and various leftover sleep aids I haven't touched in years and don't plan to ever touch. Keep in mind I only use Keppra and Atenolol as important meds. I can survive without the rest hopefully and don't use them. I've found Prevacid really helps clear the air in my stomach that gives me sleep panic so it helps me sleep more on time, but lately I'm thinking it's masking things or rerouting problems so my stomach can't heal like the rest of me can. The problem is I don't know if I always had an air problem with my stomach keeping me awake, or if it's Prevacid being rejected by body. I tried stopping Prevacid in June before the hydrocortisone incident sent my nerves in rage mode, and the air in my stomach was insane after stopping the drug. To me it felt like rebound or withdrawal of the stomach not knowing how to operate after a year and a half of Prevacid. But I don't know if it's impeding my progress or helping me get through it until the really bad times are over.

CSC, I don't want to change my diet since I've been through years of trial and error to find food I could survive on that won't enrage my nerves yet still give me a good diet. I've tried some of your suggestions over the years and I didn't notice any good change. My nerves hated all vitamins and EPAs did no good. I eat fish often though, that's all I can handle.

Thanks Nadia for explaining your experience. Did you get a relapse right after using hydrocortisone?

Schuyler, to be honest the antihistamine I used was amitriptyline, an old light SSRI with antihistamine effects and other things it does to induce sleep. I think I've gotten desensitized to even those receptors it worked on, and I was using amitriptyline to get through Zoloft cold turkey in '07. Actually my doc cold turkeyed me off Zoloft and put me on amitriptyline the next day since I was complaining about insomnia and RLS. My doc was ok cold turkeying me off Zoloft after 7 years of use.

• Administrator

Welcome, CSC. When you have the opportunity, please start a topic for yourself in this Introductions forum.

Well, that's crappy! I was hoping a lot of what I have learned would help you. You know, they say a lot of our emotions can be aggravated by what's going on in our intestines. I wonder if you would be a good candidate for the gaps diet. You probably are already eating the same stuff now anyway. If you check that out, let me know. I'm curious if you think it might help you. gapsdiet.com.

My motto lately is "one day at a time." Until tomorrow. :)

csc

• Administrator

xamen, apologies for missing your last post. It looks like you and I were posting at the same time.

There's Keppra, Atenolol, Prevacid, Melatonin, Klonopin, Trazodone, and various leftover sleep aids I haven't touched in years and don't plan to ever touch. Keep in mind I only use Keppra and Atenolol as important meds.

How do you use the Keppra and Atenolol? How do you use the others?

I'm very wary of the PPIs like Prevacid. They have adverse effects, block the absorption of important nutrients, and interfere with other drugs. FDA info here http://www.drugs.com/pro/prevacid.html See Prevacid interactions here http://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/lansoprazole,prevacid.html

Perhaps you can take a partial dose instead? Have you tried something less reactive, such as calcium carbonate?

I use Keppra before I try to sleep (250mg) and I use Atenolol (25mg twice daily) for electrical heart damage done from amitriptyline. Is calcium carbonate useful like Prevacid for keeping down acid reflux and an active stomach? Prevacid feels like it makes your stomach an empty vacuum once you first go on it. It's strong. I'd be interested in a strong alternative. I was trying to get off Prevacid right when I had my run in with hydrocortisone!

Right now I'm having a problem with eczema. In my super hyper sensitive state, what would be the safest non-steroid item to use that I can get on Amazon? Please help me out, I really don't want to have to deal with eczema now when I can't even get steroid shots ever in my life to help clear it up. They're in these two sections.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st?keywords=eczema&qid=1352521965&rh=k%3Aeczema%2Cn%3A3760901&sort=reviewrank_authority

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st?keywords=eczema&qid=1352521987&rh=k%3Aeczema%2Cn%3A3760911&sort=reviewrank_authority

I've had allergies and skin and food and other sensitivities all my life, but it's off the charts post-paxil.

I also have eczema and even worse skin allergy reactions ( rashes/hives/itching that can make me feel like clawing my skin off). Having a huge problem with that recently and think I know the cause but cut out a couple of things and will sort it out later.

I used to use antihistamines (most of my life - too much) and cortisones (oral and nasal spray for respiratory allergies) but unable to tolerate either since my too-fast paxil withdrawal. But I've found some natural products that give me absolutely no side effects (remarkable since I have bad reactions even to most natural products).

Right now if someone held a gun on me and told me to give them all my savings or my Florasone cream, I wouldn't hesitate a second in handing over my life savings lol.

Don't be thrown off by the name - it's an herbal alternative to cortisone - absolutely no steroids, even natural ones. I find it as effective as cortisone and no side effects.

It's supposed to be for things like eczema, but I use it for severe allergic itching (hives, rashes, etc.). I've gotten my eczema under control by applying organic extra-virgin coconut oil to affected areas at least every night. Never even used any of the sample creams my dermatologist insists on giving me!

The coconut oil probably doesn't need to be organic or extra-virgin, but make sure it's solvent-free.

You should be able to get both products at any health food store. If you find the Florasone cream helps and need it in quantity, you can save a lot of money by buying it from Swanson's Vitamins online, as long as you're buying enough of that and/or other products that the savings add up to more than their flat-fee shipping charge. Not a commercial endorsement - I don't have any business associations with them, just a satisfied customer who buys quite a bit of the Florasone and also healthy pet products!

But you can buy a tube at just about any health food store. Manufacturer's name is Boericke & Teiffels. Carton says "homeopathic" but it's not a homeopathic dilution as normally thought of.

Hope that helps. I'm recovering from a particularly bad allergic reaction to something and carry a tube of the Florasone in my tote bag every time I go out of the house!

I hope you feel better soon.

I was "TryingToGetWell" (aka TTGW) on paxilprogress. I also was one of the original members here on Surviving Antidepressants

I had horrific and protracted withdrawal from paxil, but now am back to enjoying life with enthusiasm to the max, some residual physical symptoms continued but largely improve. The horror, severe derealization, anhedonia, akathisia, and so much more, are long over.

My signature is a temporary scribble from year 2013. I'll rewrite it when I can.

If you want to read it, click on http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/209-brandy-anyone/?p=110343

• Administrator

Thanks for those skin-soothing tips, Brandy.

xamen, how did you get to 250mg Keppra? It sounds like maybe that might be too much for you. Probably you want to take the lowest dosage effective for your sleep.

Calcium carbonate is what over-the-counter stomach settlers like Tums are made of.

I don't ever do well going under 250mg for Keppra for sleep. The sleep panic returns worse if I go under. I don't have any idea how to properly taper on pills anyway. Maybe I don't have patience. And I feel like the doctors in my city would laugh at me requesting liquid forms of anything. Most if not all of them have been completely uncooperative.

Thanks Brandy for all that info! As long as there's no steroids I'll look into it and that oil. I found them both on Amazon. Alto, you think Florasone and coconut oil is safe to apply to skin? I will also ask my doctor.

CSC, I might need to get on a new diet after all. I definitely don't want to stay on the diet I'm on now since it's too many processed foods even though it's not sugary. I mean too much corporate garbage food. I'll have to start doing this if I ever get through my relapse since things always go bad when I change what food I'm eating, so I don't know how long it will be until I can try a healthier diet.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, would any of you know if for hyper sensitive people if it's ok to use Icy Hot pads (which are made of menthol 5%) for back pain?

• Administrator

Try a little bit and see. I would think they'd be okay.

• 1 month later...

Damn guys of all the days to have really bad insomnia. I feel so beat up over this. I can't even enjoy any of my day now. I was doing ok for most of these two months too, but I was afraid to even try the menthol last month for back pain. It seems I can't even have a different dinner without getting serious insomnia. Also I seem to be having waves that give me 6 weeks of somewhat normal sleep, and then I'm having trouble again for 2-4 weeks. Do you guys get similar amounts of time during good and bad waves? I'm also getting my left ear losing some of its hearing for a second and then it comes back, is that normal in insomnia? I hate that this day is ruined.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm also getting my left ear losing some of its hearing for a second and then it comes back, is that normal in insomnia? I hate that this day is ruined.

Hearing loss is in no way caused by insomnia (as one had insomnia for years!), but I'm wondering if this could be a side effect of one of the other meds or supplements you are on? If this continues you should see your doc.

Sorry your day will be challenged and hope you will yet be able to salvage some of the Joy. Posted Image

Hey Skyler thank you for your nice words. I did manage to sleep finally and had time in the evening so the whole day wasn't ruined at least.

I never have this hearing issue unless I'm awake too long so I don't think it's my meds. It lasted only a few seconds though. Other things I think it could be is from dehydration since I go to the bathroom a lot when I can't sleep, or it's lack of nutrition since I don't eat when I can't sleep. And I'm phobic of doctors to go see them about this since what happened to me on meds and their attitude about it.

• Administrator

The ear thing sounds like low-grade tinnitus.

I've found when I have indigestion, it keeps me awake.

What medications are you taking now, xamen?

xamen....

Today my daughter was telling me that she has terrible insomnia. She takes Klonopin.

She takes Imipramine which helps with sleep and anxiety. She started a new drug for her bladder condition and I think it may be contributing to the insomnia.

I agree with Alto about 2 cold turkeys. It may have led to your sensitivities.

There is an old fashioned remedy for acid reflux which is to dissolve a teaspoon of baking soda into room temp water and drink it.

You can also take baking soda - add water to it to make it the consistency of mayo and apply it to the skin. It is great for insect bites, hives, etc.

Dry Oatmeal which is pulverized dry and then made into a paste by adding water is even better for your skin.

You can sit in a tub and add pulverized oatmeal and soak in it.

Nikki

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine