SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Important topics in Journals and Scientific Sources

Altostrata

• Administrator

PubMed: Central source for journal articles
Contains abstracts, some free full text articles
Tips: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/255-pubmed-central-source-for-journal-articles/

-------------ABOUT WITHDRAWAL SYNDROME-------------

Papers on diagnosis of antidepressant withdrawal syndrome
Also known as antidepressant discontinuation syndrome

Narayan, 2011 Antidepressant discontinuation manic states

Howland, 2010 Potential adverse effects of discontinuing psychotropic drugs

Baldessarini, 2010 Illness Risk Following Rapid Versus Gradual Discontinuation of Antidepressants

Shelton, 2006 The nature of the discontinuation syndrome associated with antidepressant drugs

Warner, 2006 Antidepressant discontinuation syndrome

Haddad, 2005 Do antidepressants cause dependence?

Ditto, 2003 SSRI discontinuation syndrome

Harvey, 2003 Neurobiology of antidepressant withdrawal: implications for the longitudinal outcome of depression.

(Haddad?), 2001 Antidepressant discontinuation syndromes: common, under-recognised and not always benign

-------------ABOUT PROLONGED WITHDRAWAL SYNDROME-------------

Fava, 2007 Effects of gradual discontinuation of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors in panic disorder with agoraphobia

Bhanji, 2006 Persistent tardive rebound panic disorder, rebound anxiety and insomnia

Shelton, 2006 Correspondence from Dr. Richard Shelton about prolonged withdrawal syndrome

Papers about prolonged antidepressant withdrawal syndrome

-------------ABOUT TAPERING-------------

Phelps, 2011 Tapering antidepressants: Is 3 months slow enough?

Greden, 1993 Antidepressant maintenance medications: when to discontinue and how to stop

Maixner, 1998 Extended antidepressant maintenance and discontinuation syndromes.

Shelton, 2001 Steps Following Attainment of Remission: Discontinuation of Antidepressant Therapy

Fava, 2007 Effects of gradual discontinuation of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors in panic disorder with agoraphobia

Baldessarini, 2010 Illness Risk Following Rapid Versus Gradual Discontinuation of Antidepressants

National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) guidelines (UK)

APA Practice Guidelines 2010 Official publication from American Psychiatric Association: About Discontinuation. 

Leaves rate of tapering up to the doctor

-------------ABOUT ANTIDEPRESSANTS-------------

Papers about antidepressant prescribing patterns

Papers about antidepressant effectiveness

-------------ABOUT LONG-TERM ANTIDEPRESSANT ADVERSE EFFECTS-------------

Andrews, 2015 Is serotonin an upper or a downer?

Fava, 2003 Can long-term treatment with antidepressant drugs worsen the course of depression?

Amsterdam, 2009 Does tachyphylaxis occur after repeated antidepressant exposure...

El-Mallakh, 2011 Tardive dysphoria: The role of long term antidepressant use...

Andrews, 2011 Blue again: Perturbational effects of antidepressants

Papers about Post-SSRI Sexual Disorder (PSSD)

Articles:

Now Antidepressant-Induced Chronic Depression Has a Name: Tardive Dysphoria

-------------ABOUT TACHYPHYLAXIS OR "POOPOUT"-------------

Fava, 2011 The mechanisms of tolerance in antidepressant action

Katz, 2011 Tachyphylaxis/tolerance to antidepressants...

Amsterdam, 2009 Does tachyphylaxis occur after repeated antidepressant...

-------------ABOUT IATROGENIC EMOTIONAL ANESTHESIA-------------

Price, 2009 Emotional side-effects of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors...

Opbroek, 2002 Emotional blunting associated with SSRI-induced sexual dysfunction...

Sansone 2010 SSRI-Induced Indifference

-------------FROM THE TAPERING FORUM-------------

Guides to tapering off psychiatric medications

Edited by Altostrata
updated

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 7 months later...

hello s.a, I have a question, my psychiatrist does not understand why I can no longer take medication and starts to doubt about withdrawal syndrome. he only asks if I have scientific articles for him. only my English is not so good and I do not know what articles I should give him. maybe you can give some articles. I would really appreciate that. and relieve me from the fact that he thinks that I am living in a delusion of withdrawl syndrome 

2011/2017 sertaline 200 mg 2 ctatempts

2017-01-06 fast taper 200.mg sertraline

2017-01-08 venlafaxine 75/105mg.

2017-01-11 ct venlafaxine 75/105mg

2018-14-03 esctilopram 10/15 mg

2018-23-04 taperd esctilopram.

2018-29-05 25 4 times mg sertraline.

2018-04-06 4 times mirtazapne 7,5 mg.

2018-14-06 4 times sertraline 50 mg 

Current: 15 mg flurazepam.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/4/2018 at 6:59 PM, Alich said:

hello s.a, I have a question, my psychiatrist does not understand why I can no longer take medication and starts to doubt about withdrawal syndrome. he only asks if I have scientific articles for him. only my English is not so good and I do not know what articles I should give him. maybe you can give some articles. I would really appreciate that. and relieve me from the fact that he thinks that I am living in a delusion of withdrawl syndrome 

Hi Alich, here is a study you can give your psychiatrist.

Good luck.

Addict Behav. 2018 Sep 4. pii: S0306-4603(18)30834-7. doi: 10.1016/j.addbeh.2018.08.027. [Epub ahead of print]

A systematic review into the incidence, severity and duration of antidepressant withdrawal effects: Are guidelines evidence-based?

Davies J1, Read J2. 

Abstract at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30292574 Full text PDF

INTRODUCTION:

The U.K.'s current National Institute for Health and Care Excellence and the American Psychiatric Association's depression guidelines state that withdrawal reactions from antidepressants are 'self-limiting' (i.e. typically resolving between 1 and 2weeks). This systematic review assesses that claim.

METHODS:

A systematic literature review was undertaken to ascertain the incidence, severity and duration of antidepressant withdrawal reactions. We identified 24 relevant studies, with diverse methodologies and sample sizes.

RESULTS:

Withdrawal incidence rates from 14 studies ranged from 27% to 86% with a weighted average of 56%. Four large studies of severity produced a weighted average of 46% of those experiencing antidepressant withdrawal effects endorsing the most extreme severity rating on offer. Seven of the ten very diverse studies providing data on duration contradict the UK and USA withdrawal Guidelines in that they found that a significant proportion of people who experience withdrawal do so for more than two weeks, and that it is not uncommon for people to experience withdrawal for several months. The findings of the only four studies calculating mean duration were, for quite heterogeneous populations, 5days, 10days, 43days and 79weeks.

CONCLUSIONS:

We recommend that U.K. and U.S.A. guidelines on antidepressant withdrawal be urgently updated as they are clearly at variance with the evidence on the incidence, severity and duration of antidepressant withdrawal, and are probably leading to the widespread misdiagnosing of withdrawal, the consequent lengthening of antidepressant use, much unnecessary antidepressant prescribing and higher rates of antidepressant prescriptions overall. We also recommend that prescribers fully inform patients about the possibility of withdrawal effects.

Escitalopram 1.05 mg (max of 30 mg, taper from 10 mg to now started september 2016)

Klonopin 0.3 mg (one dosage reduction of 25 percent, from 0.4 to 0.3 mg september 2017)

Supplements: magnesium malate, fish oil, curcumin, multivitamin, iodine, probiotics, vitamine D along with eating healthy 80 percent of the time, I have no problem whatsoever taking supplements.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Look at the topics pinned to the top of the Journals forum list. They are pinned there specifically to answer questions like this one.

Do not expect to convince your psychiatrist of anything, even with papers.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.