Anafranil - long term symptoms

amg2012

Anafranil - can I please get some help to save a friend. :mellow:

I have a dear friend who has been taking this drug for well over 20 years.

I would like to learn if there are known long term side effects from this drug. My friend has told me that she is taking "only a small dose" for a few years now.

I did a search for the drug on this site and not too much came up - it is an older drug and she told me several years ago that she tried the newer ones but stuck with Anafranil.

To my knowledge, she originally started to take the drug due to anxiety some time after having her first (only) child at age 40. (Who wouldn't have axiety - what a life changer!) I do not know why she has continued on this drug for so many years... perhaps when she stopped taking it she became anxious?? (Stop taking pain killers you feel pain because you are addicted, right? Guessing that is why. ) She is a close but closed friend who does not discuss these matters much. Unfortunately, I have to say that she "was" a close friend... we have had a falling out several months ago which I believe is largely due to the drug ussage.

So as not to appear to influence any responses, I am withholding my observations about her behaviour. I think an intervention is in order as she is oblivious (as far as I know) that her personality has gradually been influenced by long term usage.

I do hope to get some information that can help me help her. Thank you all in advance.

I think! Too much!

Jan. 2009 150 mg. Venlafaxine

5 June 112.5 mg. Venflx

25 June 75 mg. Venflx

8 July Fluox 5ML (0 Venflx)[/b]

10 July aprox. 20 mg Fluoxetine liquid, trouble measuring between 4 - 5 ml, 0 Venflx.

15 July Fluox 5 ML + Vnflx. 10 - 6 grains

24 July Fluox 5ML + 37.5 mg Venflx.

10 Aug Fluox 4.5 ML

13 Aug.Fluox 18 mg liquid; 18 Aug. Fluox 17 mg; 25 Aug. Fluox 16 mg;

2 Sept Fluox 15 mg; 10 Sept Fluox 14 mg; 17 Sept. Fluox 13.6 mg; 29 Sept. Fluox 13 mg.

7 Oct. Fluox 12 mg; 14 Oct. Fluox 11 mg; 21 Oct; Fluox 10 mg; 23 Oct. 9mg; 26 Oct. 8 mg.

21 Nov. 5 mg; 3 Nov. ZERO

• Moderator Emeritus

Here's a fact sheet from the U.S. Library of Medicine (note that Clomipramine is the generic name for Anafranil):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000990/

Be sure to read the full warning at the top of the page, which describes a number of adverse reactions. I hope this helps.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Jemima

Thanks for posting that link...

I haven't received much response so my guess is that there simply are not that many taking this older drug now.

I did find some mentions when I did a search.

At any rate I would imagine the long term effects are much like any other brain-drain drug. Ooops. :rolleyes:

I think! Too much!

5 June 112.5 mg. Venflx

25 June 75 mg. Venflx

10 July aprox. 20 mg Fluoxetine liquid, trouble measuring between 4 - 5 ml, 0 Venflx.

10 Aug Fluox 4.5 ML

2 Sept Fluox 15 mg; 10 Sept Fluox 14 mg; 17 Sept. Fluox 13.6 mg; 29 Sept. Fluox 13 mg.

7 Oct. Fluox 12 mg; 14 Oct. Fluox 11 mg; 21 Oct; Fluox 10 mg; 23 Oct. 9mg; 26 Oct. 8 mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

At any rate I would imagine the long term effects are much like any other brain-drain drug. Ooops. :rolleyes:

Amg.. The side effects from the older SSRI's are generally worse than those from the newer.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

At any rate I would imagine the long term effects are much like any other brain-drain drug.

Amg.. The side effects from the older SSRI's are generally worse than those from the newer.

I read your post earlier and forgot to get back to it.

My general impression is that tricyclics (TCAs) have more immediate and noticeable side effects such as sedation and dry mouth compared to SSRIs. SSRIs were originally developed (marketed) as having fewer side effects than TCAs (Anafranil). TCAs are more "broad spectrum" and less specific to or potent inhibitors of serotonin reuptake. When the serotonin hypothesis was invented, serotonin specificity was thought to be a positive. Now that the serotonin theory has been debunked and too much serotonin known to be dangerous, I've read of doctors (Healy, for example) who prefer the older TCAs because they are not as targeted to serotonin.

I'm not as familiar with long term dangers of TCAs but I suspect they are plentiful.

SSRIs are deceptive because the side effects sneak upn most people.

I just read an article comparing the withdrawals. Will try to find.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Administrator

I don't know if the older antidepressants are more destructive than the newer. I think they may be weaker and have more side effects. But the newer are more powerful and, since they have fewer side effects, people are maintained on excessive dosages for many years.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Schuyler, Barbarannamated, Altostrata

Just want to thank you for your input on Anafranil - much appreciated.

I have not been on this site (and others, too) due to ongoing health issues. I am regretful to appear neglectful.

I think! Too much!

5 June 112.5 mg. Venflx

25 June 75 mg. Venflx

10 Aug Fluox 4.5 ML

• Administrator

Sorry to hear that, amg.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 years later...

Hi, I'm new here as well. I wanted some feedback / support with my decision to in tapering off ANAFRANIL as well. I initially got some responses but perhaps I was expecting too much.

Nevertheless I have been on this medicine for over 25 years and although I'm not an academic or a pharmacist I di have a lot of experience with it.

I've always been on a low dosage. 50mg and for the first 20 years I increased it to 75mg on very few occasions. I believe the 3 main causes for my OCD' s exacerbation at times has mainly been my genetics, life / circumstances and decisions I've made.

Although these are the main 3 reasons affecting OCD when it comes to the nature of fully diagnosed conditions they are a unique beast. Some might say forget placing a label on behavior and that's fine but when this behavior does not allow you to carry on at times and you are completely incapacitated then it is obvious that something is not in order that requires unconventional remedies.

The way I've been able to get a grip on my condition is with many years of therapy, reading about my condition as well as various behavioural articles and most importantly having always thrown my self in the face of fear relentlessly. Even when this meant I would be experiencing horrific anxiety.

People like me are wise enough or at least should be in knowing that no matter how much you learn to manage your condition / symptoms you cannot allow yourself to get cocky because it doesn't take much for your brain to revert back to under the right 'wrong' circumstances to a place that is terrifying.

So after all these years it me that has managed my condition and while ANAFRANIL has helped with anxiety due to its sedating effect it has also contributed to my 12 hour sleeping cycles that I no longer want.

I don't believe that the drug is helping me in any way for many years now. My psychological dependence is what has kept me on it and fear of relapsing but through rebellion towards my negative thinking about this I'm am now tapering very slowly off this drug.

It's taken close to a year just to taper down from 50 to 25mg. There was a slight withdrawal symptom with my last taper but as some of the experienced members suggested if I could tolerate the symptoms they would most probably diminish. And they have as of approximately 2-3 weeks now.

My goal is to come off the drug before I'm 50 years of age. Im in no rush, I have over 2 years which is ample. I need to succeed immensely and I'm quite confident I will.

Sorry If I've ranted a bit. I'm available for any questions you might have at any time.

Anyone is free to ask me about ANAFRANIL and although I'm aware each individual responds differently to medication, we have to start out journey somewhere!

Regards

George

1989:   Started taking Anafranil for OCD; 1991: stopped abruptly, no problems

1992/3: started taking again; 1993: stopped abruptly, no problems

1993: started taking again, 50 mg Anafranil

Nov. 2014: started tapering, cutting 6.25 mg every 3-4 months; doses 50 mg, 43.75, 31.25, 25, 18.75, 12,50, 6.25, 0

Last dose of Anafranil: 6.25 mg, on 2 Feb 2017

I haven't received much response so my guess is that there simply are not that many taking this older drug now. I did find some mentions when I did a search.

You can get score highest marks in 70-410  dumps exam using and test king which are prepared by top certified professionals, Tabor College ccna wireless training; both are marvelous in www.the-bac.edu

I don't know if the older antidepressants are more destructive than the newer. I think they may be weaker and have more side effects. But the newer are more powerful and, since they have fewer side effects, people are maintained on excessive dosages for many years.

I think they are less potent. From looking at Nortriptyline, it takes up to 100mg to reach a theraputic effect for depression, so they say. When I was put on it the doc could not get me up to a higher dose because of side effects and I wasn't going to let him go up to a higher dose. 40 mg caused high blood pressure for me. I'm reducing it now. I don't think the lower doses do much.

When I did a google search, I found a lot of people are taking the old trycyclics but not for depression. Low doses are being used long term for migranes and pain. It does seem that at low doses they are not as destructive as the SSRIs and SNRIs. Since many cannot get to the higher doses because of side effects they are not used much anymore for depression.

Prozac 1999-2009 quit semi cold turkey.

2012 Placed on Seroquel 25 mg, Tranxene (Clorezepate) 3.75 mg 3x a day, Remeron 30 mg for anxiety/akathesia.

Weaned off Seroquel and Tranxene .to Remeron 15 Mg.

In May 2014 tried quitting Remeron at its lowest dose. Had severe withdrawals.Reinstated Remeron at 30 mg by doctor. August 5 2014 entered hospital. Doctor pulled the Remeron and bridged it to Pamelor (Nortriptyline) 40mg and Zyprexa 2.5mg.After removing the Remeron all my bad symptoms went away and I am stable.

9/11/14 - 7.5 mg tranxene, 40mg Pamelor, Zyprexa 2.5mg

12/29/14 -  20mg Pamelor, 1/6/15,  7/31/15 3.5mg, 8/10/15 3.2 mg, 9/15/15 2.2mg, 10/15/15 1.8mg

(Feb 2016 - 1.4mg Pamelor only -  OFF OF TRANXENE AND ZYPREXA SINCE DEC 2014 BENZO FREE Since 2014. Nortrityline (Pamelor) .8mg Aug 2016

March 2017 DRUG FREE

• 4 years later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Tjn1011, I have moved your post to iwillsurvive's Introduction topic here: iwillsurvive

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy