SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Akathisia vs restlessness, anxiety, agitation

Altostrata

I have read this thread many times and I am still confused as to what I am experiencing is akathisia, or anxiety or restlessness....I have had this at different times during my too fast tapers in the past.  In January it was the worst it has ever been when I was in a sever crash being about 3 months off of antidepressants and tried to reinstate.  After reinstatement did not work after three weeks I was in the hospital and they took me off of antidepressants.  When I get it....it feels like a lot of tingling in my legs and ashiness in my knees.  The tingling is from my feet up through my knees.  I feel energized, irritated, and generally pissed off.  I can sit still.  When I am up moving around and walking I don't pay attention to the tingling in my feet and legs but can still feel anxious and irritated.  It gets worse when I try to lay down and sleep.  It is n to all day along and when I take my next dosage of medicine it goes away.  Is this akathisia?

1995 - 2015 antidepressants and antianxiety medicine
Multiple failed attempts to quit/taper anti d/anti anxiety meds since 2008

June 17, 2016 began prozac bridge to get off of effexor xr, stopped effexor xr on June 24, 2016, could not tolerate prozac due to severe side effects so I had to stop it  Currently...300 mg ER of lithium, 1 mg of estradiol, 60 mg propranolol ER, Fish oil 2 x a day, Magnesium Glycinate,  zinc, vitamin c, vitamin d, NAC

Forgot to add that my heart usually starts to race and it feels my heart beats are stronger...this may be because of my emotional reaction to these feelings.

June 17, 2016 began prozac bridge to get off of effexor xr, stopped effexor xr on June 24, 2016, could not tolerate prozac due to severe side effects so I had to stop it  Currently...300 mg ER of lithium, 1 mg of estradiol, 60 mg propranolol ER, Fish oil 2 x a day, Magnesium Glycinate,  zinc, vitamin c, vitamin d, NAC

• 2 months later...

Downtown girl this is what i exactly feel, and I don't know either if it's anxiety akathisia or restlessness... I have read all the threads and I am not sure either...

All day long (before on I was able to sleep but since some weeks no longer) I feel agitated inside, nervous, trembling in my whole body, and especially my heart beates are stronger. I don't feel like wanting to move, even though If i am occupied in doing something I tend to forget about it. When I sit still or lie in bed I feel it more.

Is is akathisia??

As I have imsonia I have to go back to benzos from time to time, and they help with akathisia.. I can sleep, I feel more relaxed and in peace. And with them I am mentally ok and happy. I don't want to go back to them but I feel very bad without theM-

Valium: 1 year approx. - begun at the end of 2010 and tapered off at the end of 2011

Rivotril: 3 years approx.- begun at the end of 2011 tapered off at the end of 2014

Gabapentin: 9 months approx., begun in March 2011 tapered off at the end of 2011

Laroxyl (amitriptyline)- 1,5 years, begun at the end of 2011 and tapered off in April of 2013 and then changed to 

Cymbalta - 1,8 years (up to 90mg), begun in April 2013 and tapered off in 6-8 weeks from 90 mg to 0 mg at the beginning of 2015.

When tapering off Cymbalta all these symptoms of anxiety began:

Physically: Inner tremor, craneal and ear ringing, tingling, continuous tension and fatigue, inner agitation, nausea in the morning and mentally: obsessive thoughts, suicidal thoughts when I fell very bad and much hypocondrya. 

Bromazepam- 1,5 month 1-2 capsules/day of 1,5 mg, begun in March 2015 and tapered off in May 2015. As symptoms continued my doctor put me on

Lyrica - 8 months, (up to 75mg/day), begun in June 2015 and then tapered off gradually (25 mg off each month) in February 2016

My symptoms of anxiety went away thanks to Lyrica but went back before beginning to taper it off at the end of November 2015 so I went back to 

Bromazepam- 3 months 1-2 capsules/day of 1,5 mg, begun in November 2015 and tapered off in March 2016.

Downtown girl this is what i exactly feel, and I don't know either if it's anxiety akathisia or restlessness... I have read all the threads and I am not sure either...

All day long (before on I was able to sleep but since some weeks no longer) I feel agitated inside, nervous, trembling in my whole body, and especially my heart beates are stronger. I don't feel like wanting to move, even though If i am occupied in doing something I tend to forget about it. When I sit still or lie in bed I feel it more.

Is is akathisia??

As I have imsonia I have to go back to benzos from time to time, and they help with akathisia.. I can sleep, I feel more relaxed and in peace. And with them I am mentally ok and happy. I don't want to go back to them but I feel very bad without theM-

Hello V....thanks for posting in reference to my post....sorry you are suffering....do you have fibromyalgia?  The reason I ask is looking at your med history it seems you are or have been on some meds that are used to treat fiber.  I have fibromyalgia also.

• 2 months later...

Hello!I am wondering if you know anything about akahisia.I've read a lot of people that have had it while ON the offending meds but then it went away when the med was stopped.I got it from taking Latuda for 3 weeks and when I stopped the drug it persisted on.My psych insists it should be gone by now as the drug is out of my system.I feel it 24/7; the inner agitation,trembling,vibrations,I feel I need to constantly pace, can't sit down or do anything for a period of time,like I stuck my finger in an electrical socket.It is very hard to describe but it is much more than anxiety.It is an inner torture/restlessness.I have been dealing with it med free for 3 weeks but my primary doctor just prescribed hydroxyzine 25 mg to take the edge off.Its not helping much and I just pray I don't have permanent brain damage and this will reside soon.

Hello!I am wondering if you know anything about akahisia.I've read a lot of people that have had it while ON the offending meds but then it went away when the med was stopped.I got it from taking Latuda for 3 weeks and when I stopped the drug it persisted on.My psych insists it should be gone by now as the drug is out of my system.I feel it 24/7; the inner agitation,trembling,vibrations,I feel I need to constantly pace, can't sit down or do anything for a period of time,like I stuck my finger in an electrical socket.It is very hard to describe but it is much more than anxiety.It is an inner torture/restlessness.I have been dealing with it med free for 3 weeks but my primary doctor just prescribed hydroxyzine 25 mg to take the edge off.Its not helping much and I just pray I don't have permanent brain damage and this will reside soon.

• 1 month later...

I got akathisia from a potent antipshotic (latuda ) after being on it for 3 weeks.Its now been 2 1/2 months since my last pill and the akathisia isn't improving and I've tried propanalol and klonopin ...

I keep seeing Peter Breggins articles of it being permanent and so many suffering for so long

If this is permanent I won't make it thru this life .

Anyone?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Annabee, I just saw this and was going to direct you the Akathisia thread, but saw you've already seen it and written an unanswered post. 

People do recover from it.  It can take a while, but it does happen.  Even the worst sufferers eventually find relief.  There's many examples in the Akathisia thread, plus it's really worth checking out this intro thread by Fresh.  It has a happy ending!

I'll merge this with the other thread eventually.  now merged 16.4.19 CC

Edited by ChessieCat
added note

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Alright guys it's been 11 weeks since stopping an antipshotic after taking that for only 3 weeks.

Still have akathisia 24/7 and I know I can't be in withdrawal.

Why is it still here I'm freaking out this is a permanent movement disorder and if it is i will not live like this .

• Moderator Emeritus

Annabee, symptoms can and do persist beyond the time that it takes for your body to fully metabolize and excrete the last of the drug and beyond the acute period of withdrawal that the pharmaceutical manufacturers have been compelled to admit.

Many people see their symptoms diminish and disappear over time, but it can take longer than 11 weeks. Patience and coping tactics are important to develop.

Have you read this topic from the beginning to see what has worked for others?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Oh Annabee, you can't believe the Breggin articles.  I bought into him saying it was permanent when I developed it too and it was not true. It left me with no hope yet I still recovered anyway, I don't have it anymore. I was sure I'd never recover yet here I am able to sit still and to be honest not even all that inclined to even want to get up...I could lay in bed all day and never get any feeling remotely approaching it.

Please don't lose hope!

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

Go read my thread. I thought I would never survive akathesia but I did....so far. I'm symptom free now. I hope to stay that way.

Prozac 1999-2009 quit semi cold turkey.

2012 Placed on Seroquel 25 mg, Tranxene (Clorezepate) 3.75 mg 3x a day, Remeron 30 mg for anxiety/akathesia.

Weaned off Seroquel and Tranxene .to Remeron 15 Mg.

In May 2014 tried quitting Remeron at its lowest dose. Had severe withdrawals.Reinstated Remeron at 30 mg by doctor. August 5 2014 entered hospital. Doctor pulled the Remeron and bridged it to Pamelor (Nortriptyline) 40mg and Zyprexa 2.5mg.After removing the Remeron all my bad symptoms went away and I am stable.

9/11/14 - 7.5 mg tranxene, 40mg Pamelor, Zyprexa 2.5mg

12/29/14 -  20mg Pamelor, 1/6/15,  7/31/15 3.5mg, 8/10/15 3.2 mg, 9/15/15 2.2mg, 10/15/15 1.8mg

(Feb 2016 - 1.4mg Pamelor only -  OFF OF TRANXENE AND ZYPREXA SINCE DEC 2014 BENZO FREE Since 2014. Nortrityline (Pamelor) .8mg Aug 2016

March 2017 DRUG FREE

• 2 months later...

Folks, I'm sitting here crying my eyes out right now because finally there's an explanation for what I was feeling. This discomfort unless I was fidgeting. I thought I was ADHD or had some other kind of problem. It affected my work so severely - I couldn't sit through meetings, had to bring along "fidget widgets" to keep myself from going nuts while sitting still and trying to focus for 30 minutes.

These symptoms arrive so gradually. You think, oh, I must have always been this way. I was an active kid. But, for a whole year I lost my ability to focus and get work done. I couldn't learn new information. No wonder I got fired. 

Everyone tells you you're crazy, so you take the meds, and then you become even MORE crazy, and there are MORE meds, and before you know it you're applying for food stamps and wondering what the hell happened to your brain. I'm not happy that anyone else has experienced this. I am glad that some of you have shared your stories.

Wellbutrin XL 450 mg/day from 2002 - Feb. 2017

Zoloft 2016 - Feb. 2017

Prozac 2010 - 2012

Lamictal 2008 (?)

Provigil 2008

Ambien 2007 - 2009

Health issues including pulmonary embolism in 2016 - undiagnosed genetic clotting disorder combined with birth control. PCOS and hormonal imbalance leading to underlying health problems categorized as "depression."

• 3 weeks later...

Akathisia can be a withdrawal symptom and also a side effect of the medicine...it's often confused with anxiety, leading doctors to prescribe more of the SSRI or anti-psychotic, making the problem worse!! It's not you, it's not a worsening of your original disorder and it's temporary. Learning about it really helped me stay sane.

https://rxisk.org/akathisia/

• 4 weeks later...

I wanted to inquire how people were managing this problem? I have the internal agitation/akathisia to the point, I'm crying out hysterically and in despair...It's become too much for me. I honestly fear for my life with this; it's like an internal agony and ripping apart of my brain...Please, if there are coping skills or supplements, I'd be so grateful to know.

Rx'd 1-2mg Clonazepam for anxiety April 2016 (after one panic attack); asked to be taken down off of it due to it being benzo (I didn't do my research)...Placed on 10mg Lexapro-had reaction (crying hysterically, digestive issues, mood swings) to it; taken off (May '16) ; took myself down off Clonaz from 1 1.5 to .5 (probably last of May) in relatively short time (didn't know better); threw me into tailspin-no sleep for a week, dizzy, brain fog/dp/dr; went to another doctor who knew that Lex had helped me years ago (2014; 40mg) so pushed me to get to 40mg; stayed on for three months June-Aug; sick to death; quit doctor went to Psych PA who brought it down to 10mg  (end of Aug) and added 5mg Buspar x2/day; was okay for awhile then crying spells returned-same symptoms experienced as I did when on med; pysch took me off Lex; (Sept 19th); took myself off Buspar thinking it had made heart run/tachy (latter Sept); currently only on .5 Clonaz and miserable (weakness daily, apathy, anxious, tachycardia, occasional high bp, spacey, brain fog/dp/dr.)

Breakdown of Escialopram use: 10mg in May for one week; discontinued due to horrible side effects;

Placed back on Escitalopram in latter May, early June by doctor who knew it had worked for me in the past...pushed me from May to August to get to 40mg; all the while symptoms and my complaining to doctor-kept pushing me. 

Went to psych PA who took me down from 40 to 10 that initial visit added Buspar 5mg x 2; felt a little clearer; then began feeling crying spells again. Doctor ct'd me -told me "Try to see how you feel after one week without it". All this time, I had been emailing him to let him know my symptoms and he basically told me to stop; quit him and found a PA who has been overseeing my care-he's an advocate of meds though...thinks there is no tolerance on Clonazepam.

I wanted to inquire how people were managing this problem? I have the internal agitation/akathisia to the point, I'm crying out hysterically and in despair...It's become too much for me. I honestly fear for my life with this; it's like an internal agony and ripping apart of my brain...Please, if there are coping skills or supplements, I'd be so grateful to know.

I'm in the same boat as you, and I'm sorry. I haven't found anything that has been a breakthrough, but if you are anemic/iron deficient, definitely correct that as it will at to the vibrating feeling. Some people try B vitamins, mangnesium, CBD oil if you can access. Otherwise, distraction helps me. Try your best to live as your normally would, get invested and worried about normal things, etc. I find that when I have a break from school (full time college student) I start to get very depressed in addition to agitated because all I can do is feel the akathisia and think about whether it will last forever. 

Aug-Dec 2015 Prozac 20mg / Dec 2015-Feb 2016 Prozac 15mg / Feb 2016-May2016 Prozac 20mg

May 2016-June 2016 15mg

June 2016-August 2016 10mg

October 2016-January 2017 15mg, alternating agitation/akathisia sets in --> cold turkey

January 2017 Clonazepam .5mg 

February 2017 Clonazepam 1mg (for a week) then .5mg morning and .25mg evening for about a month. Came down to .25mg morning and evening. 

May 1, 2017 Clonazepam .25mg morning and .125mg evening. // May 20, 2017 Clonazepam .25mg morning and .0625 evening (.3125 total).

early June .28125 // early mid june .25mg // mid june .21875 // late june .1875 // early july .15625 // early mid july .125 

mid july .09375mg // late july .0625 //early August 2017 down to .03125mg once a day, hopped off in mid August

reinstated at .0625mg late August // Oct 16 - updose to .07mg and switch to oral Rosemont solution

Nov 17 2017 reinstate Prozac .5mg // Nov 21 2017 prozac 1.6mg // Dec 18 2017  3mg prozac / fast taper off the reinstatement -- probably completely off early Oct 2018

June 2019 begin tapering off .07mg Clonazepam, Finish taper December 2019

Could really use some guidance/stories from people who have recovered from akathisia fully/mostly. I developed it on a low dose of Prozac (I think combined with taking Unisom sleep med) and still have it 6 months later even though I discontinued Prozac shortly thereafter. Feeling quite hopeless as I'm seeing little to no improvement. 

Aug-Dec 2015 Prozac 20mg / Dec 2015-Feb 2016 Prozac 15mg / Feb 2016-May2016 Prozac 20mg

May 2016-June 2016 15mg

October 2016-January 2017 15mg, alternating agitation/akathisia sets in --> cold turkey

February 2017 Clonazepam 1mg (for a week) then .5mg morning and .25mg evening for about a month. Came down to .25mg morning and evening. 

May 1, 2017 Clonazepam .25mg morning and .125mg evening. // May 20, 2017 Clonazepam .25mg morning and .0625 evening (.3125 total).

early June .28125 // early mid june .25mg // mid june .21875 // late june .1875 // early july .15625 // early mid july .125 

mid july .09375mg // late july .0625 //early August 2017 down to .03125mg once a day, hopped off in mid August

reinstated at .0625mg late August // Oct 16 - updose to .07mg and switch to oral Rosemont solution

Nov 17 2017 reinstate Prozac .5mg // Nov 21 2017 prozac 1.6mg // Dec 18 2017  3mg prozac / fast taper off the reinstatement -- probably completely off early Oct 2018

• Moderator Emeritus

You can find some topics/post if you use google and type in survivingantidepressants.org akasithia

Fresh is a member who suffered from akasithia. Fresh's Fractured Fairytale: How Much Can a Koala Bear?

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

bheb you are in an informed position in that you know this symptom is due to the drug many are not privy to this and run back to the doctor only to leave with a drug cocktail and forever poisoned medical notes.

I suffered this horribly just know that it will pass in time. It will not go on forever.

You will need to be patient. Try not to panic and try not to dispair.

I'd love for my ex-doctor to suffer this for a few months.

Its not easy but you can survive this and come out the other side the stronger for it.

Stay strong. 

nz11

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

bheb you are in an informed position in that you know this symptom is due to the drug many are not privy to this and run back to the doctor only to leave with a drug cocktail and forever poisoned medical notes.

I suffered this horribly just know that it will pass in time. It will not go on forever.

You will need to be patient. Try not to panic and try not to dispair.

I'd love for my ex-doctor to suffer this for a few months.

Its not easy but you can survive this and come out the other side the stronger for it.

Stay strong. 

nz11

for how long we have to be patient?

2007-2015- zoloft 100 mg
5-8/2015 taper zoloft 12.5 mg every 2 weeks
3/2016 -11/16 lexapro 20 mg

taper lexapro every month by 30%

11/4/17-lexapro 3.5 mg

What is the difference between these feelings?

akathisia

anxiety

fatigue

Edited by scallywag
merged topics

2007-2015- zoloft 100 mg

11/4/17-lexapro 3.5 mg

No one can really say how long it will take for anyone to recover from this symptom as it varies individually. Suffice it to say that most do, however, it can take some time and patience is most critical.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

I had it really really bad when I reinstated on Zoloft. It has subsided and I no longer feel it but I am not yet drug free

200 Zoloft; 10 mg Zyprexa; 4 mg valium as of May 2021;  Valium taper: July 16: 3.5 valium; July 30: 3 mg (paused valium taper); Aug. 23: 2.5 mg
Zyprexa: July 26: 8.75 mg; Aug. 9: 7.5 mg; Aug. 30: 7.1 mg

-------
Dec 1, 2016. 10 mg zyprexa for 1.5 month. Started taper mid-Jan. 2017. Cut 1.25 mg every 2 weeks; smaller cuts 2.5 mg down. Stopped at .6 mg. May 7, 2017: zyprexa free. 
Zoloft: Dec1, 2016, 200 mg. Started taper: Jun12, 2017: 197.5 mg; Jun19,:195 mg; July 2:185mg; July 9,:180 mg; July16,: 175; July 23: 170; July 30: 165; Aug6: 160; Aug13: 155; Aug. 20: 150; Aug.27: 146 mg; Sept3: 145 mg; Sept10:143 mg; Sept17:140 mg....Nov5: 122 mg...Dec3:112.5 mg; Jan14, 2018: 95 mg...Jan28: 90 mg; Feb21:80 mg; Mar11: 75 mg; May2:70 mg; May15: 68 mg; May28: 65 mg; Jun9: 62 mg;Jun25: 60 mg:July22: 55 mg; Aug25: 45 mg. Aug28: 50 mg...Oct 28: 38 mg; Dec.4: 30 mg; Jan8,2019: 25mg; Feb6: 23.5 mg; Apr1:17.5mg; May1:1 mg; May 5: 18;  May 18:15mg; June 16:12.5mg; Sept 10:11 mg; Sept.16:10 mg; Oct. 1: 9mg; Nov. 27: 8mg; Dec.5: 7mg; Jan.1,2020, 6 mg; Feb1: 5 mg; May 1: 2.5 mg; Jn 1: 2 mg; Jy 1: 1.5 mg

Thanks for the tip chessiecat and it's a good thread, I've read it before.

And thanks for those words AliG and nz11 -- nz11, yours lasted around 2 years? From what I can tell in your signature?

May 2016-June 2016 15mg

What is the difference between these feelings?

akathisia

anxiety

fatigue

Akathisia is quite an odd feeling -- if you've experienced anxiety before you can notice a difference. If it doesn't feel like your normal anxiety, it probably isn't. Akathisia is a motor restlessness, a severe mental and physical agitation. If you have the desire to run around and "shake off" the feeling then it is probably akathisia. However, if you find yourself on the more panicky side and connect the feeling to certain events or thoughts then it is likely anxiety. Ask your doctor if you have one! But that's difference I've noticed.

Edited by scallywag
merged topics

May 2016-June 2016 15mg

What is the difference between these feelings

akathisia

anxiety

fatigue

Akathisia is quite an odd feeling -- if you've experienced anxiety before you can notice a difference. If it doesn't feel like your normal anxiety, it probably isn't. Akathisia is a motor restlessness, a severe mental and physical agitation. If you have the desire to run around and "shake off" the feeling then it is probably akathisia. However, if you find yourself on the more panicky side and connect the feeling to certain events or thoughts then it is likely anxiety. Ask your doctor if you have one! But that's difference I've noticed.

and what about fatigue?

Edited by scallywag
merged topics

2007-2015- zoloft 100 mg

11/4/17-lexapro 3.5 mg

I had akathisia and it's now long gone.  This may prove very difficult to do but it might be somewhat helpful over time to take epsom salt baths, as they contain magnesium. 

I've noticed lately that using a LOT of salt in warm, not hot, water, is the trick to this being helpful for anxiety, I'd been doing them for a long time but was not putting in enough salt.

Also, dietary changes can help a bit in coping. Caffeine and refined sugar were out for me, they revved me up too much.  (I am now able to tolerate them again.) 

And I don't know if this is in this thread I haven't reviewed it all in a while, but, if you have difficulty sleeping due to akathisia but can lie down you might try weighted blankets or even a large weighted heating pad put across your legs to help minimize the movement aspect.  I never tried that while I had it so not sure how much it would work some say it's not helpful at all but, worth a try at least.

Fish oil too if you can tolerate it as that slowly helps recovery over time, if you can't handle it, increase omega three fatty acid intake through food.  I was eating salmon for breakfast even though I'm not a big fan of salmon. It ever so slightly helped with drug-induced anger too.  I also had a slight improvement in mood later on when doing this after akathisia was gone.

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

One thing that has helped me get to sleep with mild/moderate akathisia is Trauma Release Exercises, or TRE's.  Here's an example:

I'm not sure if this will help with severe akathisia.

I had akathisia and it's now long gone.  This may prove very difficult to do but it might be somewhat helpful over time to take epsom salt baths, as they contain magnesium. 

I've noticed lately that using a LOT of salt in warm, not hot, water, is the trick to this being helpful for anxiety, I'd been doing them for a long time but was not putting in enough salt.

Also, dietary changes can help a bit in coping. Caffeine and refined sugar were out for me, they revved me up too much.  (I am now able to tolerate them again.) 

And I don't know if this is in this thread I haven't reviewed it all in a while, but, if you have difficulty sleeping due to akathisia but can lie down you might try weighted blankets or even a large weighted heating pad put across your legs to help minimize the movement aspect.  I never tried that while I had it so not sure how much it would work some say it's not helpful at all but, worth a try at least.

Fish oil too if you can tolerate it as that slowly helps recovery over time, if you can't handle it, increase omega three fatty acid intake through food.  I was eating salmon for breakfast even though I'm not a big fan of salmon. It ever so slightly helped with drug-induced anger too.  I also had a slight improvement in mood later on when doing this after akathisia was gone.

Unfoldingsky, how long did your akathisia last? How did alcohol affect you?

May 2016-June 2016 15mg

• Moderator Emeritus

A few quotes about 'inner akathisia' from a blog written by J.A. Carter-Winward
https://www.jacarterwinward.com/akathisia

The “restlessness” of akathisia doesn’t just affect the body.​

Informally, the condition is called "inner akathisia,” and it is a whole different animal. Rather than restless outer movement, inner akathisia causes feelings that the medical community terms: “subjective feelings of emotional pain.”​

A very clean, scrubbed definition. But the pain--it grows.

And it is a pain unlike anything you’ve ever felt before.

It is this pain--the pain of inner akathisia--that is the fatal side effect, because the pain of inner akathisia is so unbearable, so agonizing, people would rather take their own lives, than live with it.

There is no single word to explain the experience of inner akathisia. Pain? A pale adjective, and not even close. Panic? Distress? Unholy, unbearable anxiety? Not quite. Feelings of inexplicable horror, terror, anguish? Getting warmer. Inner Hell? Dramatic, but very close. Ever been hurting so badly emotionally--you can't eat? You are actually nauseated? Yeah. That.

And more from the MISSD facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/missd.co/posts/450323358501337

The Agony of Akathisia: In their Own Words

It’s difficult for those of us who have never experienced the powerful sensations of akathisia, a potential but horrific side effect of many psychotropic medications, to truly understand what those afflicted have gone through. The words of people who have experienced it firsthand can give us a glimpse into the utter torture that it is to live with this dreadful disorder, which creates a sense of dread, restlessness and agitation like little else. Phrases like “a sense of doom,” “a living nightmare,” and “hopelessness for no reason” are just a sprinkling of descriptions people who have suffered through this disorder share. David Foster Wallace, a writer who took his life in 2008, explains the desire for death when afflicted with this condition this way: “When the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It’s not desiring the fall; it’s terror of the flames.”....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had this on and off for quite a long time, but thankfully its gone now. It comes back during waves, but not anywhere near as bad as what it was during the acute stage of withdrawal.

There were three things I found which helped me endure it. First was knowing that it was temporary and that it would eventually go away.... it did.

Second was acceptance. As unbearable as this is, by accepting that my body, mind and emotions were temporarily feeling extremely uncomfortable, it brought some relief from the secondary stress brought on by the conflict of fighting with it or worrying that it was going to last for ever.

Distraction was also helpful for getting me through long days of agony, and closer to better feeling days. Sometimes it was so bad that nothing would distract me from it, but as it started to decrease in intensity, it became possible to ignore it by finding something else to focus on.

I didn't find anything which stopped it, but usually tended to feel better towards late afternoon and evening, so for me, it was only time which brought relief. Temporary relief every every evening and more permanent relief as weeks and months went by.

Caffeine, sugar and some supplements made it worse.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Sorry and never mind, Unfoldingsky, I referred to an earlier post about your history.

Thanks for the support and resources Petunia -- those words are quite hard to read. I hope J.A. Carter-Winward has gotten better?

May 2016-June 2016 15mg

and what about fatigue?

I wouldn't normally associate fatigue with either akathisia or anxiety unless they contribute to lack of sleep. What are you experiencing? Edited by scallywag
merged topics

May 2016-June 2016 15mg

and what about fatigue?

I wouldn't normally associate fatigue with either akathisia or anxiety unless they contribute to lack of sleep. What are you experiencing?

in the last wd of zoloft i had all what you write i think because lack of sleep

2007-2015- zoloft 100 mg

11/4/17-lexapro 3.5 mg

• 1 month later...

I am having such internal agitation that it makes me feel the need to run from my body; an agitated brain. I don't know what this is or how to cope with this? It is literally driving me insane. I'm 4 months offf a cold turkey thanks to the failed monitoring by my doctor...I have suffered with this for one year. I believe I suffer akathisia but not sure. I don't have the restless energy. I just have the crazy brain symptoms. I'm terrified and don't know what to do; it makes me feel I can't go on. I have a burning tongue with it as well; a poisoned taste in my mouth too...I just need help. 

Edited by scallywag
merged topics

Rx'd 1-2mg Clonazepam for anxiety April 2016 (after one panic attack); asked to be taken down off of it due to it being benzo (I didn't do my research)...Placed on 10mg Lexapro-had reaction (crying hysterically, digestive issues, mood swings) to it; taken off (May '16) ; took myself down off Clonaz from 1 1.5 to .5 (probably last of May) in relatively short time (didn't know better); threw me into tailspin-no sleep for a week, dizzy, brain fog/dp/dr; went to another doctor who knew that Lex had helped me years ago (2014; 40mg) so pushed me to get to 40mg; stayed on for three months June-Aug; sick to death; quit doctor went to Psych PA who brought it down to 10mg  (end of Aug) and added 5mg Buspar x2/day; was okay for awhile then crying spells returned-same symptoms experienced as I did when on med; pysch took me off Lex; (Sept 19th); took myself off Buspar thinking it had made heart run/tachy (latter Sept); currently only on .5 Clonaz and miserable (weakness daily, apathy, anxious, tachycardia, occasional high bp, spacey, brain fog/dp/dr.)

Breakdown of Escialopram use: 10mg in May for one week; discontinued due to horrible side effects;

Placed back on Escitalopram in latter May, early June by doctor who knew it had worked for me in the past...pushed me from May to August to get to 40mg; all the while symptoms and my complaining to doctor-kept pushing me. 

Went to psych PA who took me down from 40 to 10 that initial visit added Buspar 5mg x 2; felt a little clearer; then began feeling crying spells again. Doctor ct'd me -told me "Try to see how you feel after one week without it". All this time, I had been emailing him to let him know my symptoms and he basically told me to stop; quit him and found a PA who has been overseeing my care-he's an advocate of meds though...thinks there is no tolerance on Clonazepam.

I was having this but am getting relief from homeopathy.  gelsemium and causticum.   look them up.   it's cheap to try,  much cheaper than supplements which did nothing for me and I tried all of them.    burning tongue and bad taste is a sign I think of causticum.   plus  craziness.   I got this info from google and it worked.   also someone on this site listed their faves.  I got all of them and two worked.   Aurum met for depression. 

many years ago given sinequan for depression bad reaction so tiny dose of meleril to balance... quit after a year or so c/t

years pass no drugs

reg doc had me try all of the  a/d bc of upset due to divorce.  couldn't handle any.  took klonopin to sleep .5 mg  2003

taper klonopin

hooked on tramadol accidentally. 2006-2008 husband had migraines and took them like candy. so i became dependent too.  c/t  2008

diagnosis of porphyria after years of symptoms,  then toxic event made me really ill.

gabapentin 300mg every 3 hours , 6x day.

propranolol   180 mg  6x / day

since 2012

clonazepam prescribed as 1 mg / day  but beginning to take more to deal with withdrawals and sleeplessness

• 2 months later...

any updates from akathisia sufferers? or new stories/words of advice?

still suffering 8 months out and unsure if i got it from tolerance wd, delayed wd or as a delayed side effect. 

May 2016-June 2016 15mg

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy