Altostrata

Akathisia vs restlessness, anxiety, agitation

132 posts in this topic

I haven't had agitation in a good couple of months, then got hit with it this morning again.  Is this normal?  I thought I was done with it!!

I have read this thread many times and I am still confused as to what I am experiencing is akathisia, or anxiety or restlessness....I have had this at different times during my too fast tapers in the past.  In January it was the worst it has ever been when I was in a sever crash being about 3 months off of antidepressants and tried to reinstate.  After reinstatement did not work after three weeks I was in the hospital and they took me off of antidepressants.  When I get it....it feels like a lot of tingling in my legs and ashiness in my knees.  The tingling is from my feet up through my knees.  I feel energized, irritated, and generally pissed off.  I can sit still.  When I am up moving around and walking I don't pay attention to the tingling in my feet and legs but can still feel anxious and irritated.  It gets worse when I try to lay down and sleep.  It is n to all day along and when I take my next dosage of medicine it goes away.  Is this akathisia?

Forgot to add that my heart usually starts to race and it feels my heart beats are stronger...this may be because of my emotional reaction to these feelings.

Downtown girl this is what i exactly feel, and I don't know either if it's anxiety akathisia or restlessness... I have read all the threads and I am not sure either...

All day long (before on I was able to sleep but since some weeks no longer) I feel agitated inside, nervous, trembling in my whole body, and especially my heart beates are stronger. I don't feel like wanting to move, even though If i am occupied in doing something I tend to forget about it. When I sit still or lie in bed I feel it more.

Is is akathisia??

As I have imsonia I have to go back to benzos from time to time, and they help with akathisia.. I can sleep, I feel more relaxed and in peace. And with them I am mentally ok and happy. I don't want to go back to them but I feel very bad without theM-

Downtown girl this is what i exactly feel, and I don't know either if it's anxiety akathisia or restlessness... I have read all the threads and I am not sure either...

All day long (before on I was able to sleep but since some weeks no longer) I feel agitated inside, nervous, trembling in my whole body, and especially my heart beates are stronger. I don't feel like wanting to move, even though If i am occupied in doing something I tend to forget about it. When I sit still or lie in bed I feel it more.

Is is akathisia??

As I have imsonia I have to go back to benzos from time to time, and they help with akathisia.. I can sleep, I feel more relaxed and in peace. And with them I am mentally ok and happy. I don't want to go back to them but I feel very bad without theM-

Hello V....thanks for posting in reference to my post....sorry you are suffering....do you have fibromyalgia?  The reason I ask is looking at your med history it seems you are or have been on some meds that are used to treat fiber.  I have fibromyalgia also.

Hello!I am wondering if you know anything about akahisia.I've read a lot of people that have had it while ON the offending meds but then it went away when the med was stopped.I got it from taking Latuda for 3 weeks and when I stopped the drug it persisted on.My psych insists it should be gone by now as the drug is out of my system.I feel it 24/7; the inner agitation,trembling,vibrations,I feel I need to constantly pace, can't sit down or do anything for a period of time,like I stuck my finger in an electrical socket.It is very hard to describe but it is much more than anxiety.It is an inner torture/restlessness.I have been dealing with it med free for 3 weeks but my primary doctor just prescribed hydroxyzine 25 mg to take the edge off.Its not helping much and I just pray I don't have permanent brain damage and this will reside soon.

Alright guys it's been 11 weeks since stopping an antipshotic after taking that for only 3 weeks.

Still have akathisia 24/7 and I know I can't be in withdrawal.

Why is it still here I'm freaking out this is a permanent movement disorder and if it is i will not live like this .

Annabee, symptoms can and do persist beyond the time that it takes for your body to fully metabolize and excrete the last of the drug and beyond the acute period of withdrawal that the pharmaceutical manufacturers have been compelled to admit.

Many people see their symptoms diminish and disappear over time, but it can take longer than 11 weeks. Patience and coping tactics are important to develop.

Have you read this topic from the beginning to see what has worked for others?

Folks, I'm sitting here crying my eyes out right now because finally there's an explanation for what I was feeling. This discomfort unless I was fidgeting. I thought I was ADHD or had some other kind of problem. It affected my work so severely - I couldn't sit through meetings, had to bring along "fidget widgets" to keep myself from going nuts while sitting still and trying to focus for 30 minutes.

These symptoms arrive so gradually. You think, oh, I must have always been this way. I was an active kid. But, for a whole year I lost my ability to focus and get work done. I couldn't learn new information. No wonder I got fired. 

Everyone tells you you're crazy, so you take the meds, and then you become even MORE crazy, and there are MORE meds, and before you know it you're applying for food stamps and wondering what the hell happened to your brain. I'm not happy that anyone else has experienced this. I am glad that some of you have shared your stories.

Akathisia can be a withdrawal symptom and also a side effect of the medicine...it's often confused with anxiety, leading doctors to prescribe more of the SSRI or anti-psychotic, making the problem worse!! It's not you, it's not a worsening of your original disorder and it's temporary. Learning about it really helped me stay sane.

https://rxisk.org/akathisia/

I wanted to inquire how people were managing this problem? I have the internal agitation/akathisia to the point, I'm crying out hysterically and in despair...It's become too much for me. I honestly fear for my life with this; it's like an internal agony and ripping apart of my brain...Please, if there are coping skills or supplements, I'd be so grateful to know.

I wanted to inquire how people were managing this problem? I have the internal agitation/akathisia to the point, I'm crying out hysterically and in despair...It's become too much for me. I honestly fear for my life with this; it's like an internal agony and ripping apart of my brain...Please, if there are coping skills or supplements, I'd be so grateful to know.

I'm in the same boat as you, and I'm sorry. I haven't found anything that has been a breakthrough, but if you are anemic/iron deficient, definitely correct that as it will at to the vibrating feeling. Some people try B vitamins, mangnesium, CBD oil if you can access. Otherwise, distraction helps me. Try your best to live as your normally would, get invested and worried about normal things, etc. I find that when I have a break from school (full time college student) I start to get very depressed in addition to agitated because all I can do is feel the akathisia and think about whether it will last forever. 

Posted (edited)

What is the difference between these feelings?

akathisia

anxiety

fatigue

Edited by scallywag
merged topics

Posted (edited)

What is the difference between these feelings?

akathisia

anxiety

fatigue

Akathisia is quite an odd feeling -- if you've experienced anxiety before you can notice a difference. If it doesn't feel like your normal anxiety, it probably isn't. Akathisia is a motor restlessness, a severe mental and physical agitation. If you have the desire to run around and "shake off" the feeling then it is probably akathisia. However, if you find yourself on the more panicky side and connect the feeling to certain events or thoughts then it is likely anxiety. Ask your doctor if you have one! But that's difference I've noticed.

Edited by scallywag
merged topics

Posted (edited)

What is the difference between these feelings

akathisia

anxiety

fatigue

Akathisia is quite an odd feeling -- if you've experienced anxiety before you can notice a difference. If it doesn't feel like your normal anxiety, it probably isn't. Akathisia is a motor restlessness, a severe mental and physical agitation. If you have the desire to run around and "shake off" the feeling then it is probably akathisia. However, if you find yourself on the more panicky side and connect the feeling to certain events or thoughts then it is likely anxiety. Ask your doctor if you have one! But that's difference I've noticed.

and what about fatigue?

Edited by scallywag
merged topics

I had akathisia and it's now long gone.  This may prove very difficult to do but it might be somewhat helpful over time to take epsom salt baths, as they contain magnesium. 

I've noticed lately that using a LOT of salt in warm, not hot, water, is the trick to this being helpful for anxiety, I'd been doing them for a long time but was not putting in enough salt.

Also, dietary changes can help a bit in coping. Caffeine and refined sugar were out for me, they revved me up too much.  (I am now able to tolerate them again.) 

And I don't know if this is in this thread I haven't reviewed it all in a while, but, if you have difficulty sleeping due to akathisia but can lie down you might try weighted blankets or even a large weighted heating pad put across your legs to help minimize the movement aspect.  I never tried that while I had it so not sure how much it would work some say it's not helpful at all but, worth a try at least.

Fish oil too if you can tolerate it as that slowly helps recovery over time, if you can't handle it, increase omega three fatty acid intake through food.  I was eating salmon for breakfast even though I'm not a big fan of salmon. It ever so slightly helped with drug-induced anger too.  I also had a slight improvement in mood later on when doing this after akathisia was gone.

One thing that has helped me get to sleep with mild/moderate akathisia is Trauma Release Exercises, or TRE's.  Here's an example:

I'm not sure if this will help with severe akathisia.

I had akathisia and it's now long gone.  This may prove very difficult to do but it might be somewhat helpful over time to take epsom salt baths, as they contain magnesium. 

I've noticed lately that using a LOT of salt in warm, not hot, water, is the trick to this being helpful for anxiety, I'd been doing them for a long time but was not putting in enough salt.

Also, dietary changes can help a bit in coping. Caffeine and refined sugar were out for me, they revved me up too much.  (I am now able to tolerate them again.) 

And I don't know if this is in this thread I haven't reviewed it all in a while, but, if you have difficulty sleeping due to akathisia but can lie down you might try weighted blankets or even a large weighted heating pad put across your legs to help minimize the movement aspect.  I never tried that while I had it so not sure how much it would work some say it's not helpful at all but, worth a try at least.

Fish oil too if you can tolerate it as that slowly helps recovery over time, if you can't handle it, increase omega three fatty acid intake through food.  I was eating salmon for breakfast even though I'm not a big fan of salmon. It ever so slightly helped with drug-induced anger too.  I also had a slight improvement in mood later on when doing this after akathisia was gone.

Unfoldingsky, how long did your akathisia last? How did alcohol affect you?

A few quotes about 'inner akathisia' from a blog written by J.A. Carter-Winward
https://www.jacarterwinward.com/akathisia

The “restlessness” of akathisia doesn’t just affect the body.​

Informally, the condition is called "inner akathisia,” and it is a whole different animal. Rather than restless outer movement, inner akathisia causes feelings that the medical community terms: “subjective feelings of emotional pain.”​

A very clean, scrubbed definition. But the pain--it grows.

And it is a pain unlike anything you’ve ever felt before.

It is this pain--the pain of inner akathisia--that is the fatal side effect, because the pain of inner akathisia is so unbearable, so agonizing, people would rather take their own lives, than live with it.

There is no single word to explain the experience of inner akathisia. Pain? A pale adjective, and not even close. Panic? Distress? Unholy, unbearable anxiety? Not quite. Feelings of inexplicable horror, terror, anguish? Getting warmer. Inner Hell? Dramatic, but very close. Ever been hurting so badly emotionally--you can't eat? You are actually nauseated? Yeah. That.

And more from the MISSD facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/missd.co/posts/450323358501337

The Agony of Akathisia: In their Own Words

It’s difficult for those of us who have never experienced the powerful sensations of akathisia, a potential but horrific side effect of many psychotropic medications, to truly understand what those afflicted have gone through. The words of people who have experienced it firsthand can give us a glimpse into the utter torture that it is to live with this dreadful disorder, which creates a sense of dread, restlessness and agitation like little else. Phrases like “a sense of doom,” “a living nightmare,” and “hopelessness for no reason” are just a sprinkling of descriptions people who have suffered through this disorder share. David Foster Wallace, a writer who took his life in 2008, explains the desire for death when afflicted with this condition this way: “When the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It’s not desiring the fall; it’s terror of the flames.”....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had this on and off for quite a long time, but thankfully its gone now. It comes back during waves, but not anywhere near as bad as what it was during the acute stage of withdrawal.

There were three things I found which helped me endure it. First was knowing that it was temporary and that it would eventually go away.... it did.

Second was acceptance. As unbearable as this is, by accepting that my body, mind and emotions were temporarily feeling extremely uncomfortable, it brought some relief from the secondary stress brought on by the conflict of fighting with it or worrying that it was going to last for ever.

Distraction was also helpful for getting me through long days of agony, and closer to better feeling days. Sometimes it was so bad that nothing would distract me from it, but as it started to decrease in intensity, it became possible to ignore it by finding something else to focus on.

I didn't find anything which stopped it, but usually tended to feel better towards late afternoon and evening, so for me, it was only time which brought relief. Temporary relief every every evening and more permanent relief as weeks and months went by.

Caffeine, sugar and some supplements made it worse.

Sorry and never mind, Unfoldingsky, I referred to an earlier post about your history.

Thanks for the support and resources Petunia -- those words are quite hard to read. I hope J.A. Carter-Winward has gotten better?

Posted (edited)

and what about fatigue?

I wouldn't normally associate fatigue with either akathisia or anxiety unless they contribute to lack of sleep. What are you experiencing? Edited by scallywag
merged topics

and what about fatigue?

I wouldn't normally associate fatigue with either akathisia or anxiety unless they contribute to lack of sleep. What are you experiencing?

in the last wd of zoloft i had all what you write i think because lack of sleep

I am having such internal agitation that it makes me feel the need to run from my body; an agitated brain. I don't know what this is or how to cope with this? It is literally driving me insane. I'm 4 months offf a cold turkey thanks to the failed monitoring by my doctor...I have suffered with this for one year. I believe I suffer akathisia but not sure. I don't have the restless energy. I just have the crazy brain symptoms. I'm terrified and don't know what to do; it makes me feel I can't go on. I have a burning tongue with it as well; a poisoned taste in my mouth too...I just need help. 

Edited by scallywag
merged topics

I was having this but am getting relief from homeopathy.  gelsemium and causticum.   look them up.   it's cheap to try,  much cheaper than supplements which did nothing for me and I tried all of them.    burning tongue and bad taste is a sign I think of causticum.   plus  craziness.   I got this info from google and it worked.   also someone on this site listed their faves.  I got all of them and two worked.   Aurum met for depression.