If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo
- - - - -

Akathisia vs restlessness, anxiety, agitation

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#109 daddybuggaorange

daddybuggaorange

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationTraverse City, Michigan

Posted 08 June 2016 - 10:57 AM

I haven't had agitation in a good couple of months, then got hit with it this morning again.  Is this normal?  I thought I was done with it!!

Started klonopin 11/7/14 at 0.5 mg
on K consistently until week prior to Christmas
on/of Klonopin and 0.5 mg Xanax until 3rd week in February
tried c/t 3rd week in february, crashed hard, ER several times
1 mg klonopin last week in February until 2nd week in March
Quit Zoloft c/t 1st week of March 2015 & started Amitriptyline
Quit amitriptyline 2nd week in March & started Cymbalta
0.5 mg cut of Klonopin 2nd week in March
0.5 to 0 mg Klonopin taper March to June 2
off Klonopin since June 2
Stopped cymbalta august 24, started zoloft august 24
Seroquel taper from 75 to 0 over 12 days, last dose September 4.
Started Compazine Aug 12,  10 mg day
Stopped compazine aug 17, bad withdrawl
Started Remeron 3.75mg 10/12/15
Off Compazine 11/2/15
Off Zoloft 11/25/2015
Off Remeron 1/2/16
Brief encounter with Buspirone 1/13/16 - 1/18/16 2 tablets, bad reaction - severe depression
Tried Colonidine 1/14/16-1/20/16 - severe depression
Only Atenolol since 1/20/16
Reinstated Remeron 15mg 3/26/16

#110 downtongirl

downtongirl

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:02 PM

I have read this thread many times and I am still confused as to what I am experiencing is akathisia, or anxiety or restlessness....I have had this at different times during my too fast tapers in the past.  In January it was the worst it has ever been when I was in a sever crash being about 3 months off of antidepressants and tried to reinstate.  After reinstatement did not work after three weeks I was in the hospital and they took me off of antidepressants.  When I get it....it feels like a lot of tingling in my legs and ashiness in my knees.  The tingling is from my feet up through my knees.  I feel energized, irritated, and generally pissed off.  I can sit still.  When I am up moving around and walking I don't pay attention to the tingling in my feet and legs but can still feel anxious and irritated.  It gets worse when I try to lay down and sleep.  It is n to all day along and when I take my next dosage of medicine it goes away.  Is this akathisia?

1995 - 2015 antidepressants and antianxiety medicine
Multiple failed attempts to quit/taper anti d/anti anxiety meds since 2008

June 17, 2016 began prozac bridge to get off of effexor xr, stopped effexor xr on June 24, 2016, could not tolerate prozac due to severe side effects so I had to stop it  Currently...300 mg ER of lithium, 1 mg of estradiol, 60 mg propranolol ER, Fish oil 2 x a day, Magnesium Glycinate,  zinc, vitamin c, vitamin d, NAC

#111 downtongirl

downtongirl

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:04 PM

Forgot to add that my heart usually starts to race and it feels my heart beats are stronger...this may be because of my emotional reaction to these feelings.

June 17, 2016 began prozac bridge to get off of effexor xr, stopped effexor xr on June 24, 2016, could not tolerate prozac due to severe side effects so I had to stop it  Currently...300 mg ER of lithium, 1 mg of estradiol, 60 mg propranolol ER, Fish oil 2 x a day, Magnesium Glycinate,  zinc, vitamin c, vitamin d, NAC

#112 valerj83

valerj83

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationCiudad Real, Spain

Posted 14 September 2016 - 04:45 AM

Downtown girl this is what i exactly feel, and I don't know either if it's anxiety akathisia or restlessness... I have read all the threads and I am not sure either...

All day long (before on I was able to sleep but since some weeks no longer) I feel agitated inside, nervous, trembling in my whole body, and especially my heart beates are stronger. I don't feel like wanting to move, even though If i am occupied in doing something I tend to forget about it. When I sit still or lie in bed I feel it more.

Is is akathisia??

As I have imsonia I have to go back to benzos from time to time, and they help with akathisia.. I can sleep, I feel more relaxed and in peace. And with them I am mentally ok and happy. I don't want to go back to them but I feel very bad without theM-

Valium: 1 year approx. - begun at the end of 2010 and tapered off at the end of 2011

Rivotril: 3 years approx.- begun at the end of 2011 tapered off at the end of 2014

Gabapentin: 9 months approx., begun in March 2011 tapered off at the end of 2011

Laroxyl (amitriptyline)- 1,5 years, begun at the end of 2011 and tapered off in April of 2013 and then changed to 

Cymbalta - 1,8 years (up to 90mg), begun in April 2013 and tapered off in 6-8 weeks from 90 mg to 0 mg at the beginning of 2015.

When tapering off Cymbalta all these symptoms of anxiety began:

Physically: Inner tremor, craneal and ear ringing, tingling, continuous tension and fatigue, inner agitation, nausea in the morning and mentally: obsessive thoughts, suicidal thoughts when I fell very bad and much hypocondrya. 

Bromazepam- 1,5 month 1-2 capsules/day of 1,5 mg, begun in March 2015 and tapered off in May 2015. As symptoms continued my doctor put me on

Lyrica - 8 months, (up to 75mg/day), begun in June 2015 and then tapered off gradually (25 mg off each month) in February 2016

My symptoms of anxiety went away thanks to Lyrica but went back before beginning to taper it off at the end of November 2015 so I went back to 

Bromazepam- 3 months 1-2 capsules/day of 1,5 mg, begun in November 2015 and tapered off in March 2016.

#113 downtongirl

downtongirl

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 September 2016 - 08:23 AM

Downtown girl this is what i exactly feel, and I don't know either if it's anxiety akathisia or restlessness... I have read all the threads and I am not sure either...

All day long (before on I was able to sleep but since some weeks no longer) I feel agitated inside, nervous, trembling in my whole body, and especially my heart beates are stronger. I don't feel like wanting to move, even though If i am occupied in doing something I tend to forget about it. When I sit still or lie in bed I feel it more.

Is is akathisia??

As I have imsonia I have to go back to benzos from time to time, and they help with akathisia.. I can sleep, I feel more relaxed and in peace. And with them I am mentally ok and happy. I don't want to go back to them but I feel very bad without theM-

Hello V....thanks for posting in reference to my post....sorry you are suffering....do you have fibromyalgia?  The reason I ask is looking at your med history it seems you are or have been on some meds that are used to treat fiber.  I have fibromyalgia also.

#114 Annabee

Annabee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio Texas

Posted 17 November 2016 - 08:53 PM

Hello!I am wondering if you know anything about akahisia.I've read a lot of people that have had it while ON the offending meds but then it went away when the med was stopped.I got it from taking Latuda for 3 weeks and when I stopped the drug it persisted on.My psych insists it should be gone by now as the drug is out of my system.I feel it 24/7; the inner agitation,trembling,vibrations,I feel I need to constantly pace, can't sit down or do anything for a period of time,like I stuck my finger in an electrical socket.It is very hard to describe but it is much more than anxiety.It is an inner torture/restlessness.I have been dealing with it med free for 3 weeks but my primary doctor just prescribed hydroxyzine 25 mg to take the edge off.Its not helping much and I just pray I don't have permanent brain damage and this will reside soon.

#115 Annabee

Annabee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio Texas

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:05 AM

Alright guys it's been 11 weeks since stopping an antipshotic after taking that for only 3 weeks.

Still have akathisia 24/7 and I know I can't be in withdrawal.

Why is it still here I'm freaking out this is a permanent movement disorder and if it is i will not live like this .

#116 scallywag

scallywag

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 3,989 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:23 AM

Annabee, symptoms can and do persist beyond the time that it takes for your body to fully metabolize and excrete the last of the drug and beyond the acute period of withdrawal that the pharmaceutical manufacturers have been compelled to admit.

Many people see their symptoms diminish and disappear over time, but it can take longer than 11 weeks. Patience and coping tactics are important to develop.

Have you read this topic from the beginning to see what has worked for others?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results
Cymbalta (brand name), 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 20 mg to 7 mg in 2016, exact doses and dates in this post;
2017: 6.3 (58 beads) Feb. 1; 5.6 mg (52) Feb. 22; 5.4 mg (50) Mar. 15; 5.1 mg (47) Mar. 25; 4.9 mg (45) Apr. 5; 4.5 mg (42) Apr. 14;
Current dose: 3.5 mg (32) 2017-Apr-26
+ Supplements: fish oil (1500 mg EPA/500 mg DHA), Vitamins: D3, K2, C; Minerals: Mg, Se, Cr, I, V
scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

#117 KayPedia

KayPedia

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationGrand Junction, CO

Posted 29 March 2017 - 11:43 AM

Folks, I'm sitting here crying my eyes out right now because finally there's an explanation for what I was feeling. This discomfort unless I was fidgeting. I thought I was ADHD or had some other kind of problem. It affected my work so severely - I couldn't sit through meetings, had to bring along "fidget widgets" to keep myself from going nuts while sitting still and trying to focus for 30 minutes.

These symptoms arrive so gradually. You think, oh, I must have always been this way. I was an active kid. But, for a whole year I lost my ability to focus and get work done. I couldn't learn new information. No wonder I got fired. 

Everyone tells you you're crazy, so you take the meds, and then you become even MORE crazy, and there are MORE meds, and before you know it you're applying for food stamps and wondering what the hell happened to your brain. I'm not happy that anyone else has experienced this. I am glad that some of you have shared your stories.

Wellbutrin XL 450 mg/day from 2002 - Feb. 2017

Zoloft 2016 - Feb. 2017

Prozac 2010 - 2012

Lamictal 2008 (?)

Provigil 2008

Ambien 2007 - 2009

Health issues including pulmonary embolism in 2016 - undiagnosed genetic clotting disorder combined with birth control. PCOS and hormonal imbalance leading to underlying health problems categorized as "depression."

#118 emergingfromhell

emergingfromhell

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Locationlos angeles

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:41 PM

Akathisia can be a withdrawal symptom and also a side effect of the medicine...it's often confused with anxiety, leading doctors to prescribe more of the SSRI or anti-psychotic, making the problem worse!! It's not you, it's not a worsening of your original disorder and it's temporary. Learning about it really helped me stay sane.

https://rxisk.org/akathisia/