SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Lacey: need help with tapering off desipramine / Norpramin / Pertofrane

Lacey

I need some help in tapering off Desipramine (a TCA). I'm on 50mg per day...split and dose twice/day. I am also microtapering Diazepam which is going okay; but I am willing to put that on hold.

I have had constant constipation with Desipramine. It just doesn't ease up. The AD does help me with my mood and my anxiety is lower, but unfortunately I can't stand it anymore with this constipation. I have to be extra diligent with fiber, drink lots of water, yoghurt with oat bran..ughhh! etc. It's frustrating me.

I haven't found anything on the Internet that gives me an idea on how to taper off Desipramine. It appears I should be able to get off it pretty quickly. I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this. Thanks.

Lacey

On various ADs and AD combos for the past 15 years. Too many to list.

2011-Wellbutrin XL 150mg

May 2012-Desipramine(50mg/day)

2012-slow Valium taper from 20mgV - now at 3.8mgV (started microtapering from 6mgV) - going well..s/xs are manageable.

• Moderator Emeritus

I need some help in tapering off Desipramine (a TCA). I'm on 50mg per day...split and dose twice/day. I am also microtapering Diazepam which is going okay; but I am willing to put that on hold.

I have had constant constipation with Desipramine. It just doesn't ease up. The AD does help me with my mood and my anxiety is lower, but unfortunately I can't stand it anymore with this constipation. I have to be extra diligent with fiber, drink lots of water, yoghurt with oat bran..ughhh! etc. It's frustrating me.

I haven't found anything on the Internet that gives me an idea on how to taper off Desipramine. It appears I should be able to get off it pretty quickly. I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this. Thanks.

Lacey

Hi Lacy... Welcome! Folks who know more about tapering ADs will be along soon. This is the best stop in the web for the type of info you want.

I had bigtime issues with constipation from Lyrica.. was always focused on adding fiber.. etc. etc, ad nauseum. Then I started to eat Post Original All Bran for breakfast (a banana makes it taste good.. without, not so much) and have no longer have any probs.

You may want to look through posts on the intro thread (your post will be moved there as it will get more traffic). To search this site for desiprimanie enter the following string in google:

site:survivingantidepressants.org Desipramine

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Administrator

Hello, Lacey, welcome.

Here's FDA info about desipramine http://www.drugs.com/pro/desipramine.html

It's available in a wide range of dosages, 10mg-150mg, which should aid in tapering.

You might ask your doctor to order your prescription in smaller dosages so you can split tablets. What dosage are you taking?

For what it's worth, magnesium http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/ can be very helpful for constipation and it's good for you, too.

While you're at it, you might want to take fish oil as well, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you for your responses Schuyler and Altrostrata and moving my post.

My dose is 50mg Desipramine. I have 25mg pills. I take 25mg in the a.m. and 25mg in the p.m. These 25mg pills can be split.

I have been taking magnesium citrate capsules (300mg and sometimes 450mg) for about 3 months. Then,I went and bought some Magnesium Citrate powder and I took 300mg. Well it caused me to get body pain along with pain on the top of my hands. It obviously didn't agree with me so I returned it. After that experience, I stopped taking even my magnesium citrate capsules about 10 days ago.

I have some Post Original All Bran at home...I guess I could try eating that in the morning. I prefer a fruit smoothie (add Oat Bran to it) or a bagel in the morning. I'm not much of an early morning eater...I eat late morning. Then I add fiber throughout my day...ex. Greek Yoghurt and I add 4-5 teaspoons of Organic Oat Bran in it. I drink A LOT of water.

What I am trying to get at here is that I seem to be always struggling with constipation. I miss being regular like I used to be which was back in February.

I am tapering Diazepam and that could be causing me constipation. But then adding 50mg of Desipramine in May, I got a double whammy. So I am wondering... if I taper Desipramine...could my constipation problem cease. My pdoc knows of my constipation problem with Desipramine.

I do have a colonoscopy scheduled in early January 2013. My bloodwork in June was normal.

I have been on many different ADs for over 14 years. I never tapered off any of them because my pdoc always took me off one and put me on another.

Anyway, I just want get off Desipramine and see if I become regular. How do I taper off it? Any thoughts?

2011-Wellbutrin XL 150mg

2012-slow Valium taper from 20mgV - now at 3.8mgV (started microtapering from 6mgV) - going well..s/xs are manageable.

• Moderator Emeritus

What I am trying to get at here is that I seem to be always struggling with constipation. I miss being regular like I used to be which was back in February.

I am tapering Diazepam and that could be causing me constipation. But then adding 50mg of Desipramine in May, I got a double whammy. So I am wondering... if I taper Desipramine...could my constipation problem cease. My pdoc knows of my constipation problem with Desipramine.

Hi Lacey.. you can eat the bran at any time of the day, I eat 1,5 servings in the AM, (sometimes two). Have it with a piece of fruit, maybe a banana as the taste is much better, good in fact.. I can identify with what you say about constipation.. Lyrica is notorious and I was MISERABLE for months, years even. I tried everything you named.. and the only thing that helped is Original Bran. Ahem.. what a relief!! (pun intended, or NOT Posted Image)

Alto is the one who can answer about constipation and ADs.. I'm still on a high dose of Lyica (tapering slowly), but the constipation is no more thanks to the bran cereal.. Yeah!

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Lacey,

I couldn't see anything on tapering Desipramine specifically but here is a link to all the key bits of

info on how to taper. Read through this info and if you have any specific questions come back and ask

tapering info

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Lacey,

welcome to the forum.

I struggle with constipation too. I eat a very good diet. Sometimes it doesn't matter what you do, the bowel has a mind of its own.

Have you tried colonics? They're great - but expensive. I'm also about to start makin Kefir. Probiotics are supposed to help.

Good luck:)

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Lacey, and welcome!

The tricylcics are notorious for constipation!!! I am not sure that anything will really help whilst you are still on the desipramine - eating lots of whole grains, fibre and unprocessed foods and drinking sufficient water will help, but not solve your problem. I would not be keen on colonics - i personally don't think they are good for you. I too get lots of constipation from my AD, less as my dose is decreasing, but i have found the wholegrains and fruit to be helpful.

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

• Administrator

Lacey, you might have been taking too much magnesium for your system. More is not better when it comes to supplements.

Did the mag help your constipation?

I didn't realize you were also tapering a benzo. You may wish to hold on the benzo taper and taper desipramine instead. Tapering two drugs at once can be too destabilizing.

Your side effects may diminish as you diminish the dosage.

Can your doctor fill your desipramine prescription with 10mg tablets? You could take 2.5 tablets in the a.m. and 2.5 tablets in the p.m. Then you can taper by a quarter of a tablet, or 2.5mg at a time.

See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/ and making a liquid http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2693-how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules/

I found desipramine is soluble in water.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

There are products from the health food stores...senna and casgara..they help alot.

Does Desipramine comes in liquid. If not ask for your doctor to prescribe 10mg. tablets.

You will start off with alot of them, but they can be halved into 5mgs.

Nikki

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Thank you all for your replies..much appreciated.

I am still in research mode and will not change anything. I need to look at all the angles before I decide to taper Desipramine. If I decide to taper Desipramine, I will hold my benzo dose until that is complete. I know to do that. I then need to go on another AD...was thinking of Imipramine, but I am hesitant to change anything while I taper off Valium. The Imipramine is just a thought for the future and I will discuss it with my pdoc. With my Valium taper I have been getting hit with short term depression that comes and goes..there are times it disappears as a s/x..so I need to be on an AD. I know that Valium can cause some people to experience depression more. Otherwise, my V microtaper is going well and I know when to hold etc. I have done my microtapering research.

I am trying out Schuyler's idea of Post Original All Bran for a few weeks to see if it makes a difference. I am going to restart my regime of Metamucil on a daily basis AGAIN. I really hate that I have to go the extra mile to clear this constipation up. That is the only s/x that really bothers me.

Magnesium Citrate in a low dose (150mg capsule) is fine for me. About a month ago, I bought Magnesium Citrate POWDER and took the recommended 350mg dose 2X...and that really screwed me up (stomach pain, weird body pain and still constipated) so I returned it. I'll stick with the Mag Cit capsules for now. It doesn't seem to help much with my constipation problems.

Seeing my pdoc in two weeks and I am deciding how to go about this. He already knows that I am struggling with constipation due to Desipramine and probably Valium too (noticed some constipation back in March in my V taper). I have 25mg Desipramine pills to make up my 50mg dose/day. I have already found out that my pharmacist can get me 10mg Desipramine pills. I can only see my pdoc every 2 months and I thought I would have had this figured out but it doesn't look like it now.

I have a colonoscopy and gastroscopy scheduled for mid-December to rule out anything else.

I have never experienced such long term constipation in my life. It really sucks!

L.

2011-Wellbutrin XL 150mg

• Moderator Emeritus

I am trying out Schuyler's idea of Post Original All Bran for one week to see if it makes a difference. I am going to restart my regime of Metamucil on a daily basis AGAIN. I really hate that I have to go the extra mile to clear this constipation up. That is the only s/x that really bothers me.

LOL... good to hear. I just had my morning fix with a small banana. You might want to try a one cup serving to start. I hope it works.. will watch for an update. Posted Image

• Administrator

I challenge the notion that since you experience "depression" while tapering a benzo, this means you need to be on an antidepressant long-term.

Some people are very sensitive to benzo dosage decreases. The lack of consistency indicates your nervous system trying to accommodate the change, not that you have underlying depression.

You might try going off the antidepressant to find out what your baseline really is.

You can phone your pdoc for the dosage change.

I challenge the notion that since you experience "depression" while tapering a benzo, this means you need to be on an antidepressant long-term.

Some people are very sensitive to benzo dosage decreases. The lack of consistency indicates your nervous system trying to accommodate the change, not that you have underlying depression.

You might try going off the antidepressant to find out what your baseline really is.

You can phone your pdoc for the dosage change.

Makes sense but here is my story and my fear stems from this.

When I was in my early 20s (early 1980s), I had major depression that went untreated because I tried to hide it (stigma) and I was not on any antidepressant or any meds period. It was pure mental hell for over 7 months (won't go into that) and I ended attempting. I was hospitalized and treated with meds..got better and then I was med free for about 14 years. That was before the Prozacs and Paxils came out.

In 1998, I was experiencing situational depression and was put on Paxil (which caused me to have anxiety that I didn't have before). I was put on Clonazepam. Then it was one AD after another...to present. Each AD (or AD combo) was c/t (as per pdoc's instructions) and I would be put on another one. All along I was on Clonazepam. Now I am benzo wise. I c/o from Clonazepam to Valium in December 2011 and then started my V taper in January 2012. I was on Wellbutrin XL 150mg/day and I was getting depressive s/xs.

That is when I was switched from Wellbutrin to Desipramine which was in May 2012. Truth of the matter is that I'm too afraid to quit an AD. I am a mess in my thinking in regard to ADs...I think I need them and that thought pattern stems from my own pdoc telling me I would need to be on ADs for the rest of my life.

My pdoc will do as I ask. I am seeing him the last week of November. I am very proactive in my mental health. I think what I will do is get my 25mg of Desipramine and also get 10mg Desipramine so that I have them in case I want to slowly decrease.

2011-Wellbutrin XL 150mg

• Administrator

People change a lot in 14 years. Also, these drugs do change your nervous system. After all this time, I personally doubt a decrease in an antidepressant leads to "depression" for you. Most likely it leads to withdrawal syndrome instead.

It is impossible for a psychiatrist to determine whether one would need to be on medication for life. Even those with true major depression recover after a while, unmedicated.

You might be interested in reading Robert Whitaker's Anatomy of an Epidemic.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Lacey: need help with tapering off desipramine / Norpramin / Pertofrane