SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Shortness of breath and other breathing issues

Shanti

I have this now and then, and I know it's part of the jerks. Suddenly out of nowhere, I take a deep in-breath, like a gasp. It's hard to describe because all our breathing is pretty much involuntary. But this is different. It's a big, deep, quick in-breath and feels like a jerk almost. Has anyone had this? I've had it off and on from the beginning and it happens only when I'm laying down on my back.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Yes, I have had this several times and it is definitely related to the jerks.

a.k.a JMarie

Paxil since Mar.1998

2006-2007:40-20mg
2009: 20mg to 14mg 2010: 14mg to 10.5mg 2011: 10.5 to 7.6mg  2012: 7.5 to 6.8mg

2013: 6.7-6.3mg 2014: 6.2mg-5.8mg 2015: 5.7 to 5.15mg 2016: 5.1-4.6mg

1/19/17: 4.5mg 3/17/17: 4.4mg

6/15/17: 4.35mg 8/10/17: 4.3mg

1/29/18: 4.1mg 5/07/18: 4.0mg

7/31/18: 3.9mg

I haven't had this, exactly. I know that I'm a breath-holder, esp when stressed. Sometimes I'll take in a sudden jerky breath after holding. All subconscious, of course.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Yes, I have had this several times and it is definitely related to the jerks.

I'm sorry you have this too, but it is good to know it's a withdrawal symptom.

Bar I do that sometimes too. Thank you for responding.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

I haven't had this, exactly. I know that I'm a breath-holder, esp when stressed. Sometimes I'll take in a sudden jerky breath after holding. All subconscious, of course.

I do this too. When I'm really anxious it's almost as if I freeze and stop breathing, and everything feels silent and weird. I have to consciously take deep breaths sometimes.

Off Lexapro since 3rd November 2011.

I did it again last night, even with the muscle relaxer. The last few times it's been an inhale through my nose. It's a really deep inbreath. I don't hold my breath first though.

This is what I thought after it happened. I instantly thought of Pranayama. I wrote about Pranayama here, and my friends keep telling me I need to do Pranayama for this condition. They insist it will help heal my brain. Just yesterday someone kept telling me to do it. I haven't done it yet. I tend to be rebellious of people telling me what I "need" to do. Well, last night, right after it happened I thought "omg, this is supposed to happen" and I totally felt like God is making me do Pranayama. lol. So after it happened, I did Pranayama for a few minutes, then it didn't happen again and I fell back to sleep with no problem. I didn't even have my usual morning zap that wakes me up. God works is mysterious ways I think. It might not be, but I just have a feeling my body is trying to heal my brain.

I'm going to do Pranayama a couple times a day and see if that stops this. I'll post back here if it does.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

One friend was so persistant that I deleted him from my friends on FB. He posted twice on my wall how to do Pranayama, even though I lied and said I was doing it. I felt bad then added him back and asked him not to be pushy.

This is what he wrote on my wall. It's really easy to do, and it isn't much different than what my body is doing with these involuntary inbreaths.

they are beat thru yoga pranayama and yoga poses including as much alkaline foods and juices, v8 etc as possible. 15 minutes of breathing = 5 hours of rest even more than that, in terms of cleansing.

Then again:

alternate nostril breathing head stand shoulder stand standing fold plough pose. iboga . chamomile. green tea. these are all profound helpers - if we are talking about ssri those are poison they have been slowly weaned off of i did so as a teen otherwise u might die. all the same yoga makes it thousands of times faster. 1 drop of peroxide per glass of water = liquid oxygen = profoundly cleansing

I'm not going to stand on my head or do yoga though :blink:

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• 1 month later...

I don't want to scare anyone, but if you are getting the lung jerks, or in the heart, I'd get a prescription for a muscle relaxer. I was in the ER yesterday as part of lung collapsed. (Aveola I think). They say they don't know why, and suspected it was from anesthesia I had almost 2 years ago in a surgery. But I suspect it's from the lung jerks I was having and will talk to my doctor today about that. So just be careful if you're having this symptom.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Hi. I used to have these (I think they are what you describe) - a quick, involuntary gasp inward. But they haven't happened at all since I've been in wd from effexor (twelve weeks today). I do think they happened when I was anxious and they usually happened when I was with other people and had been talking. Maybe not enough air because of anxiety and talking using up air too? Why they have disappeared with wd I have no idea.

Mine have been gone a while too. I haven't had any at all since I switched from Paxil to Prozac. Also, I take half a Xanax and a muscle relaxer before bed. It didn't so much as feel like I was gasping for air. It was totally involuntary like a jerk.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Shanti ~

Are you ok (question)

Is the muscle relaxant the main treatment (Q)

Sorry --i keep blowing out the punctuation marks on my mobile -- I wonder if my finger is like your wired mouse but I don't know where to get a wireless finger :-o

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Shanti ~

Are you ok (question)

Is the muscle relaxant the main treatment (Q)

Sorry --i keep blowing out the punctuation marks on my mobile -- I wonder if my finger is like your wired mouse but I don't know where to get a wireless finger :-o

Wireless finger lol. My space bar isn't working well. I'm always having to hit it twice now.

Yeah, I'm okay. They told me to do deep breath exercises every hour, and I'm following up with my doc in about a half hour. Yes the muscle relaxer was the biggest help with the jerks for me.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• 10 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hey everyone,

I'm asking this question on behalf of my mum who has been taking Effexor for several years.

About a year ago she started getting shortness of breath and we were very worried about her. She had every test known to man and all came up clear. It occurred to her that it might be the medication that was causing this.

Has anybody else ever experienced this side effect? The symptoms only came up in the last year or so.

Now I've discovered she has changed meds. Her doctor took her off Effexor over 2 months and she's having horrendous withdwawal symptoms. The doctor just responds by throwing more (different) meds at her, including an anti-psychotic for bi-polar.

I so wish she had told me she was going to go off Effexor so I could have warned her. I fear now it's too late and she's going to suffer through many months (or years) of debilitating withdrawals.

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

• Moderator Emeritus

Now I've discovered she has changed meds. Her doctor took her off Effexor over 2 months and she's having horrendous withdwawal symptoms. The doctor just responds by throwing more (different) meds at her, including an anti-psychotic for bi-polar.

I so wish she had told me she was going to go off Effexor so I could have warned her. I fear now it's too late and she's going to suffer through many months (or years) of debilitating withdrawals.

Hi basildev.. I'm very sorry to read of your mother's withdrawal.. merdre.. how dreadful. You must be enormously frustrated. Wow..

I wonder if it might still be in time for her to reinstate a low dose of effexor. Others with more knowledge will be chiming in.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Moderator Emeritus

Merdre indeed, Shuyler! :blink:

I was thinking of that too. She says it's been 'a few months' since she changed meds (end therefore discontinued Effexor).

Thing is, she had a really bad dizzy spell a couple of months back and got sent to the hospital. It really scared her and they found nothing wrong. If ONLY I'd known she'd gone off Effexor I'd have put 2 and 2 together. It was a withdrawal symptom!

She's going into have a hip operation in 2 days. Her doctor says she's not going to change her meds now. I really think my mum wouldn't be game to try and reinstate anyway. She's always trusted doctors and psychiatrists implicitly. She'll probbaly want to follow their advice. So I have to respect that she needs to do what's right for her.

But I think she would be happy to know if her shortness of breath was due to Effexor. That might put her mind at ease.

In any case I have sent her several links from this forum about AD withdrawal. That's really all I can do. She's on her own path.

February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

• Moderator Emeritus

I've had a few strange panicky episodes during Effexor withdrawal where I experienced a shortness of breath and a general difficulty breathing. I had never experienced anything like it prior. But it was episodic, not continuous. Does she constantly feel short of breathe?

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi pgd,

the symptoms she was having were while she was on the medication, not when she came off it. The shortness of breath was why she decided to change meds.

Mum's wasn't continuous either. But enough to get her worried.

Thanks for your reply:)

• 1 year later...

I'm wondering if anyone has experience this as a withdrawal symtpom: shortness of breath, as in needing to take quick, short breaths in order to get any oxygen, dizziness like the room is titling and thinking you'll collaspe and pain and weakness in limbs like they're not getting enough oxygen. It comes suddenly and lasts for maybe a minute but the pain in limbs tends ot linger. It's literally like I'm not getting enough oxygen. I'm tapering off Prozac, after using it as a bridge to get off Effexor.

This may not purely be withdrawal since I do have asthma, but this specific symptom pattern isn't how I experience asthma, and it has never happened before, but has happened a lot in the past few weeks. Alternatively, it could be made worse by low blood sugar because in the past, I have at least twice experienced instances where I showered before eating anything and actually saw black closing in like I was going to pass out. So, there's a lot that could be causing this, but it is very, very scary, and this praticular thing hasn't occured before.

Tapering Zoloft, Dec 2014

Started Lamictal

Re-started Zoloft mid-Oct 2014, 25-50mg

Stopped Zoloft end of Sept 2014

Started Zoloft July 2014, 50mg

Stopped Prozac from 3mg May 2014

Stopped Effexor Dec '13 Started 10mg Prozac

Reinstated Effexor 15mg on Nov 2013

Stopped from 21mg on Oct 2013
Effexor 112.5mg, since Dec 2012

I'm thinking this could be a w/d sx involving one of the cranial nerves. There are nerves that come directly out of the brain and give sensory info to all parts of the body.

Shortness of breath is a common benzo w/d sx, and this involves the vagus cranial nerve which controls info to the epiglottis, larynx, pharynx, bronchii, lungs, and all the way down the respiratory system into the heart.

Similar w/d sx also involve other "brain med" w/ds.

It's definitely worth consideration and perhaps some research.

Marie

On Xanax 10 years for anxiety, 2 mgs, night only. Attempted my own taper w/o understanding the dependency issues.

Researched and then understood the need for longer half life med. Doctor crossed me from X to klonopin 4 times in 6 months. Last time on X, she up dosed me to 3 mgs X.

On last cross attempt, ended up in ER with profound w/d sx from X. Got new doctor. Final cross to K, structured, slow was completed 6/5/12-12/5/12.

Attempting liquid micro taper from K. Difficulty with micro cuts; significant w/d sx requiring several weeks of holding after each cut. Also concerned if it's possible to use pill/liquid combo for dosing.

Hope I Meet Other Benzo Taperers Here! I have tried ADs in past. Could not tolerate them, gave up trying, none for over 12 years.

• Moderator Emeritus

As Marie mentioned, 'shortness of breath' is a symptom common to withdrawal and anxiety in general. Members have talked about it in other threads.  When this happens, its important to relax and take slow deep breath, not short fast ones or you will hyperventilate.  Maybe learn some breathing techniques or exercises.  There is one in this thread here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1112-non-drug-techniques-to-cope-with-emotional-symptoms/

Or I'm sure a search would bring up other kinds of exercises.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 2 weeks later...
Hello, I wanted to share a breathing sequence that is doing me lots of good. I learnt it at a 3-day course last year. It was given by the 'art of living' people, I didn't know them before but later I found they are a large community worldwide that some regard as sectarian-type.
Anyhow I have no relation whatsoever with the art of living and I have not followed any of their stuff after that course last year, but I do have to thank them for teaching me this sequence, because during the periods that I manage to do this regularly, every morning, the effect is outstanding.

I started doing 20 minute sessions every morning just after waking up and before breakfast, and it makes such a difference throughout the day, on the mood, the energy levels, the emotional endurance and enthusiasm. As I have been practising this, I have found my own personal variations.

Here is the sequence:

Part 1 - Ujjayi: breathing making a gutural sound like trying to close your throat while you breath. Breathe in counting 4 in your mind, hold breath counting 4, breathe out counting 6, count 2 while no air in the lungs.
This is done in a 10+10+10 way: 10 times with your hands each side of the waist, then rest for a few seconds, 10 times with your thumbs under armpits and hands open, rest and 10 times with palms against your upper back, elbows pointing upward.
You are supposed to sit in the thunderbolt pose, which is on your knees, with bottom resting on the feet, in order to maintain a straight back. It's not so comfortable so you may want to use a cushion over your feet.

Part 2 - bhastrika: still thunderbolt pose, fists next to your shoulders, you breath in very rapidly (like a blow, but with care) while you lift your arms to the ceiling and open your hands, then bring the fists back down to the shoulders while releasing the air rapidly. All through the nostrils. Up and down should happen in around 1 second. You do three series of 20 ups and downs with a 20 second rest in between.

Part 3 - sit in the lotus position or similar, do a long ohm three times. This helps me focus and get a stiller mind.

Part 4 - breathing normally (no sounds, not taking full inhalations or exhalations), but without stops between inhaling and exhaling, lotus position or resting your back against something like a wall, etc. 20 times in and out at a slow pace (5 seconds per in+out), 40 times medium speed (1-2 seconds per in+out) and 40 times fast (double the medium speed). You do this 20+40+40 series three times without stops.

The whole sequence takes about 20 minutes. Try this for 3-4 weeks minimum to get effect. Best done just after waking up and before breakfast. 
The science behind this seems to be the oxygenation of the body, the relaxing effect of conscious breathing and the stimulation of he nerves, especially the vagus nerve, which is the nexus between the brain and the guts. 

My best wishes to you all.

1999-2004 citalopram 10 to 20mg with 2-3 withdrawal attempts.
2004 fluvoxamine for 4-5 months aprox. Changed to venlafaxine because of the headaches and dizziness.
2005-March 2014 venlafaxine usually starting on 150mg and coming down to 75 or 37.5. Several withdrawal attempts.
In March 2014 I stopped taking 37.5mg of venlafaxine without tapering.

Went through 5 months of confusion, anxiety, insomnia and desperation. From then I am very slowly recovering, on windows and waves.

Symptoms: muscle stiffness and aches, shortness of breath, abdominal pain, memory loss, inability to concentrate or think straight, difficulty to speak, difficulty to read (improving).

Taking omega3, magnesium, calcium, vitamin E and probiotics.

• Administrator

Thank you, Jose. Are those yoga breathing techniques?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Ujjayi and bhastrika are yoga breathing techniques, yes.

The ohm does carry breathing with it of course.

The fourth part is more like a sequence of abdominal breathing series at different speed, I don't think it relates to a specific pranayama form.

I find that the focus during the exercises makes a big difference. Encouraging myself internally to pay attention to my breathing, without forcing myself to it, has a noticeable effect. It's like inviting myself to enjoy it while doing it. Of course sometimes I'm not in the mood for joy, but still send myself gentle reminders during the breathing. After all, it's this growing capacity to lift oneself up physically and mentally what makes the whole thing work.

1999-2004 citalopram 10 to 20mg with 2-3 withdrawal attempts.
2004 fluvoxamine for 4-5 months aprox. Changed to venlafaxine because of the headaches and dizziness.
2005-March 2014 venlafaxine usually starting on 150mg and coming down to 75 or 37.5. Several withdrawal attempts.
In March 2014 I stopped taking 37.5mg of venlafaxine without tapering.

Went through 5 months of confusion, anxiety, insomnia and desperation. From then I am very slowly recovering, on windows and waves.

Symptoms: muscle stiffness and aches, shortness of breath, abdominal pain, memory loss, inability to concentrate or think straight, difficulty to speak, difficulty to read (improving).

Taking omega3, magnesium, calcium, vitamin E and probiotics.

• 2 weeks later...

In the Integral tradition, Kapalabhati consists of multiple rounds of rapid breathing in which the breath is forcefully expelled from the lungs with a strong inward thrust of the abdomen. Students might start out with one round of 15 breaths in quick succession and build up to several hundred breaths in one round. In Nadi Suddhi, the fingers and thumb of the right hand are used to close off first one nostril and then the other. This pranayama starts with an exhalation and an inhalation through the left nostril, followed by a full breath through the right, with the whole pattern repeated several times.

I had to look it up to see if it was the same thing I did at reiki... yep I will try anything I don't care if it helps it helps ... I think it helped can't say exactly how felt a bit better.

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

it happens to me during sleep. i have read 2 threads at BB that this is a side efffect of benzos too. is this anything to be worried about? 

Dec 2012 tried 10 mg Lexapro caused panic attack 

titrated 5 mg, and finally settling at 2.5 mg for some time

Jan-May 2013 on and off carelessly experimented on doses from 1.5 mg to as high as 12.5 mg 

June 2013 had extreme anxiety/panic attacks/paranoia when I ran out of samples.

July 7 2013 - August 10 2013 went back to 2.5 mg to relieve the anxiety and it worked until i felt restless and agitated

August 11 2013 AD-free and substituted with 5-HTP and it seemed to work together with GABA after I read "The Mood Cure" by Julia Ross 

dec 20, 2013 switched to 5mg Valium from 0.25mg-0.5mg xanax daily and felt better

dec31 3.75mg V

• 9 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Oh my god, this happens to me when I sleep!  It is one of the things that wakes me up from sleep.  I had a sleep test done and it did not show any breathing abnormalities, but this breathing sensation happens to me, too.  I should be comforted that the sleep test came back normal, but it makes the sensation no less scary.

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

WiggleIt, I just saw this thread for the first time today. I'm not sure everyone is describing the exact same thing. The reason I never posted about it is that I didn't know what to call it or quite how to describe it.

The reason I think people may be describing different things in this thread (though they may be related) is that I too only had this when sleeping. It was so strong it literally would wake me up, or be part of whatever phenomenon suddenly woke me.

It was actually my first "symptom" when I suddenly woke up in withdrawal. (This was back in 2006, and I assure you it's long gone with me.) I've described my onset of withdrawal as feeling fine, then waking with a scream in a state of extreme derealization and terror that lasted a long time. (Again, gone for many years, I assure you.)

But when I've thought about it since first writing about it, it wasn't a scream in that it was a sharp - and audibly loud - huge sucking in of breath. Not outgoing breath like a scream. It was my diaphragm or lower chest sucking in like a gasp but much stronger and deeper. Made an involuntary loud noise. Much louder than a gasp.

I bolted awake with jerks that sometimes bolted me upright (involuntarily sitting upright position) and sometimes even flipped me off the bed. This went on often for some time. I bolted awake as often as every 15 minutes for that long (and less often after that for a while), though the deep chest loud "gasp" (like a reverse scream) was only periodic. Certainly not every time.

I found that sleeping with my upper body propped up helped. I often had to use one of those pillows people use to sit up and read in bed, because I also had crushing pressure pains in my chest and breathing problems when lying flat with just my usual pillow. Other times, and later, a wedge pillow (with a regular pillow or dogbone/neckroll pillow on top, for comfort) was sufficient. Then just angled layers of regular pillows. I still use the latter for some problems, but the ones I talked about here are history, thank goodness.

I hope you feel better soon!

I was "TryingToGetWell" (aka TTGW) on paxilprogress. I also was one of the original members here on Surviving Antidepressants

I had horrific and protracted withdrawal from paxil, but now am back to enjoying life with enthusiasm to the max, some residual physical symptoms continued but largely improve. The horror, severe derealization, anhedonia, akathisia, and so much more, are long over.

My signature is a temporary scribble from year 2013. I'll rewrite it when I can.

If you want to read it, click on http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/209-brandy-anyone/?p=110343

Oddly just today I posted a link about stomach and breath... in relation to being told I had a stuck diaphragm when I was in withdrawal ... by a kinesiologist so I looked that up today...found this info about the vagus nerve being messed up -  causing this stuck diaphragm or a hiatal hernia... which lead to other things as it always does with google and I am curious as to how ssri type drugs affect the vagus nerve... and if it causes these issues ... maybe all of them. 

I was going to give it a go but got side tracked. maybe later... 

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

• 3 months later...

This is happening quite frequently recently. It's like I suddenly stop breathing then try to breathe and nothing happens so I panick and take a sharp intake of breath.It is happening g mostly at night when I am in bed.Does anyone else have anything like this ?

Been taking paroxatine for approx 15 years.Tried a few times yo stop but failed. Am currently on 3.5mg liquid

Jan 2016 been slow tapering paroxatine and i am currently at 2.9 mg and last drop was 5 weeks ago.

Started to feel awful about 3 weeks ago with brain ???? , shakes, blurred vision and dizzyness. ..

during several years, i had to think to walk, to think to speak, to think to stand up... all what we do normally automatic was no more automatic, and today i have still residuals after 6 years

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

Yes I have always gotten this a lot during times of anxiety. It is a very common experience. You feel like you have stopped breathing, and that it's necessary to start consciously breathing, but the truth is that you would continue breathing subconsciously anyway. It's just your anxiety making you paranoid.

2009-2012: Lexapro 10mg, and then varying doses , multiple failed attempts to wean myself off. Instant withdrawal side-effects, including: loss of balance; forgetfulness; bruxism; apathy; pins & needles; extreme anxiety; panic; extremely vivid dreams and nightmares; akathisia; suicidal ideation; sleep paralysis; skin crawling; and more.2012-March to 2013-December: Lexapro 10mg, Life was great.2014-January to 2014-December: Weaned myself off, using 10mg and 5mg doses only. Alternated & skipped days until finally going cold turkey. Experienced restless leg at night, temporarily. Numbness in scalp, sporadically.2015-January to 2015-April No medication. 2 weeks after taking final pill - choking sensations [ongoing]. 6 weeks after final pill - Random, all-over, burning / pin-prick / electric shock sensations throughout my body [Ongoing] (Never any brain zaps though.) Tinnitus symptoms [temporary.] Loss of sensation in throat/neck [ongoing]. MRI of brain and C-spine; blood tests; all clear. 2015-April to now 10mg Lexapro. Loss of sensation in fingers [constant]. Still experiencing burning / pin-prick / electric shock sensations all over my body since before reinstatement [almost constant]. Still experiencing numbness in throat/neck since before reinstatement [constant.] Balance problems [infrequent]. Pins and needles in legs & feet [infrequent.]<p>2015-Nov to date: 10mg daily. Numbness in finger remains, some electric shocks, but it doesn't bother me anymore. Loss of sensation / motor capabilities in tongue / throat / airways continues, seems to be getting worse.

• Administrator

Rather than throwing yourself into anxiety, as someday described, take up slow meditative breathing to calm yourself.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 year later...

I have been struggling with permanent breathlessness now for some time which is the worst its ever been since a slow (2.5%) taper from 2011.

I did a search with came up with nothing.  For all these years I have put it down to withdrawal, so I was surprised I didn't find anything.

I have had an x-ray which showed nothing.  I have had a stress test done which I failed basically because of this issue and I couldn't walk at all on the walker at the speed they had it at.  The results of the overall stress test came back with nothing.

I had my gall bladder removed July 2015 which I feel I still have not recovered from, as I still have a sore and painful belly, around my middle and at times chest ache and ribcage ache and sometimes goes around to my back on the rights side (same symptoms I had before having it removed).  So I don't know if there is a connect with that.  I have a lot of discomfit if I eat anything with fat in it or sugar, or wheat, or foods that cause flatulence, etc.

1995-2007      20mg Aropax/Paxil for pain.  Years of up and down doses

2008                Endep, Lexapro and then Esipram (hell!) CT (oh dear!)

2009                20mg Aropax.  Tried skipping doses for a year (more hell!)

2010                10mg.  10% taper.  Lasted 4 months. Crashed again

2011                5% taper. 9mg-7mg (hell got even worse!)

2012                2.5% taper.  6.6mg – 5.6mg (worser still & unbearable)

2013                5% taper.  Big mistake.  5.5mg – 4.6mg  (even worserer)

2014                2.5% taper.  4.9mg – 4.5mg;    2015 2.5% taper 4.4 - 4.0mg

2016                2.5% taper.  3.9mg  Feb 3.8   Mar 3.7  May 3.6   Jul 3.5

2017                2.5% taper.  Jan 3.4;   Mar 3.35;  Apr 3.3; Oct 3; Dec 2.9;

2018                2.5% taper. Jan 2.8; Mar 2.7; Mar: 2.75; Jun 2.7; Aug 2.6; Oct 2.5; Nov 2.4; Dec 2.3

2019                Jan 2.2; Feb 2.1;

I hve difficulty taking a breath. In some positions of relaxation I can take a full breath that brings a headspin that its so relieving. But not more than 2 deep breaths.

For years I told the doctors that I couldnt breathe, they said I wasnt practicing deep breathing enough. Now that practice has progressed to gasping.

I went to a chiro last year - It was the first time aince they drugged me that I could breathe. The floods of relief had me blissed out on the waiting room floor, I had more relief than I have ever felt.

Being able to breathe was an unexpected but very welcome side effect.

I mentioned the relief to my therapist at the time (the one I had been complaining about shortness or breath and pain for 7 years) she didnt react at all.

I cough up handfuls of clear and black goop. Last time I went to the GP he ordered an xray, but I didnt go through with it, no energy, I'd rather suffocate than take their drugs or go near another hospital.

I have a lot of chest pain but its all been put down to anxiety.

I hope there is some relief for you grandmaD

Currently on 50mg Fluvoxamine. Reading more before the next attempt at tapering.

Started Lexapro 04, have been mostly on med combinations since for 12 years.

May 2015 - zeldox 80 - 100mg, fluvoxamine 200mg, dexamphetamine 10mg

Lorazepam and clonazepam on and off for over a decade. Heavily sedated with antipsychotics - mostly Zyprexa and seroquel. Many hospitalisations. Many types of therapy, last being 7 years of psychodynamic that only figured out my pain was real.

Pain meds - Lyrica 150mg palexia 100mg - discontinued eary 2016

Done ok so far but cant drop the last antidepressant without physical illness.

Thanks for your reply Buffy.  Good to meet another Aussie!

I have found I can take a deep breath if I put all my weight on my arms/hands while in a sitting position and take the weight off my body.

I don't cough up anything and my chest feel clear.

Have you had gall surgery or stomach surgery?

I have had chest ache and chest pains throughout tapering, and was told that was due to the gall bladder, but I still get these from time to time and I wonder if it has to do with digestion/missing gall/whatever!

I have also been told by the dr. it is anxiety!  I do relaxation and breathing exercises religiously 2 or 3 times a day and more when necessary.

Did you just get relief the day you had the chiro or are you completely better now?

Just an aside - did you have trouble getting off Lyrica? 

Sorry to hear you are stuck on an a/d still but more sorry to say that when you begin to taper it will not be without any suffering.  I wish you all the best for your recovery if you are aiming to get off it.  You are very wise to read up as much as you can.  Basically, I strongly believe the slower you go, the easier it will be, but it will never be without issues, so be warned!

1995-2007      20mg Aropax/Paxil for pain.  Years of up and down doses

2008                Endep, Lexapro and then Esipram (hell!) CT (oh dear!)

2009                20mg Aropax.  Tried skipping doses for a year (more hell!)

2010                10mg.  10% taper.  Lasted 4 months. Crashed again

2011                5% taper. 9mg-7mg (hell got even worse!)

2012                2.5% taper.  6.6mg – 5.6mg (worser still & unbearable)

2013                5% taper.  Big mistake.  5.5mg – 4.6mg  (even worserer)

2014                2.5% taper.  4.9mg – 4.5mg;    2015 2.5% taper 4.4 - 4.0mg

2016                2.5% taper.  3.9mg  Feb 3.8   Mar 3.7  May 3.6   Jul 3.5

2017                2.5% taper.  Jan 3.4;   Mar 3.35;  Apr 3.3; Oct 3; Dec 2.9;

2018                2.5% taper. Jan 2.8; Mar 2.7; Mar: 2.75; Jun 2.7; Aug 2.6; Oct 2.5; Nov 2.4; Dec 2.3

2019                Jan 2.2; Feb 2.1;

Thanks grandmaD.

No I havent had stomach surgery before. I do suspect that a few years of taking medication on an empty stomach has upset mine though.

On the day of chiropractic, I can get a few breaths, its the next day that I feel I can breathe normally. The relief has only lasted 2 weeks at most for me so far - but I have not been exercising lately, past a bit of stretching and walking, I need to strengthen myself.

I didnt find the Lyrica too hard to get off, I actually felt better with the inital half dose drop. But I was only on it a few months, I'd have to check the paperwork but I think I started it oct 15, and started dropping it in feb 16. I do seem to still have vison and dry skin issues that started with the drug and have not left me yet. I had no idea they had smaller doses than 75mg!

My pain specialist was so stoked with himself, bragging that he helped get this wonder drug on the pbs... I kinda hope he ends up taking his own wonder drug one day. I felt completely drunk on it.

Currently on 50mg Fluvoxamine. Reading more before the next attempt at tapering.

Started Lexapro 04, have been mostly on med combinations since for 12 years.

May 2015 - zeldox 80 - 100mg, fluvoxamine 200mg, dexamphetamine 10mg

Lorazepam and clonazepam on and off for over a decade. Heavily sedated with antipsychotics - mostly Zyprexa and seroquel. Many hospitalisations. Many types of therapy, last being 7 years of psychodynamic that only figured out my pain was real.

Pain meds - Lyrica 150mg palexia 100mg - discontinued eary 2016

Done ok so far but cant drop the last antidepressant without physical illness.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy