SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

flower switched to liquid celexa

flower

• Moderator Emeritus
Thanks Skyler..I'm going to wait a little longer to see if I adjust and then I'll have to do something.I hope Alto is watching I hate to bother her. This is my mother in law that's ill.I feel bad for my husband..He is a mommas boy.

Skyler did you have any side effects from the Lyrica while adjusting? Is it a pill or capsule. I wonder what the dose would be to compared to gabapentin. A dirty drug is a good way to put it. Is Lyrica generic? My Doc already said I would have to titrate onto it  while tapering the gabapentin.

I appreciate the thoughts so much. You guys are so important. I wonder how many lives have been saved here. Just knowing I'm not crazy has saved me many times.

There are side effects.. but they have not been deal breakers for me so far.  I want to come off, all drugs have side effects, but what you are experiencing is particularly nasty.  I've not had anything like that.

I would think you would be looking for the dose most effective against your nerve pain. I got stuck on a very high dose of Lyrica.. needlessly I might add.  Alto advises titrating up slowly.. just as with gabapentin, you can tell when it's effective.

Lyrica is a brand name.. pregablin will be the generic name when it's available. Last I knew.. the patent was set to expire this year, so the price should fall significantly.  IMO, ordering from Canada would be the best way to go once you find the right dose for you.

Sky

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Flower so sorry about it all.....you mom dying is big, very big.  Alot of your sobbing is probably tied into grief.  And you are allowed to sob and cry alot.

I will send some healing prayers your way.

Lots of hugs today.

Thank you ladybug...I need a hug.

C/T Celexa and Trazadone on Jan.29th 2014
Prescribed 1mg of Klonopin every 6 hours on Jan.29th
Began tapering Klonopin April 18th..stretching time between doses...at first one hour for 2 weeks then a half hour for app.10 days then another half hour 10days later.
Presently at .25 three times a day..6 2 and 10pm. Trying to stabilize.
Also still taking gabapentin 300mgs 2xs a day..

2 weeks has gone by on the Amneal generic gabapentin. I don't like it at all. I take this for nerve pain and have to endure all this other crap..On the other hand I'm afraid to make this worse by switching to another drug. I took an extra 100mg capsule last night and it did help slow me down a little.I'm assuming now this is WD ,so to speak,maybe I will need a little more time? The welts and hives have gone for now. I get restless and hyper.Isn't this drug suppose to do the opposite? The pain Doc said some cannot take gabapentin..A nothing drug he called it. I ache alot. I remember that from a couple months ago but I'm no longer clear on which generic the Pharmacy had me on and when..

Began tapering Klonopin April 18th..stretching time between doses...at first one hour for 2 weeks then a half hour for app.10 days then another half hour 10days later.

More on the ongoing saga of the gabapentin.

Skyler..I'm beginning to think this is WD..I'm getting sick again. Nausea,anxiety,sleeping less..Worrying about will happen if I have to switch...

I'm trying to treat this as any other WD since I read gaba is a benzo type WD. I keep hoping if I wait it will ease or level out. My thoughts are with you all..

This is changing my personality.It's hard to pretend to feel good so I don't whine...

• Moderator Emeritus

More on the ongoing saga of the gabapentin.

Skyler..I'm beginning to think this is WD..I'm getting sick again. Nausea,anxiety,sleeping less..Worrying about will happen if I have to switch...

I'm trying to treat this as any other WD since I read gaba is a benzo type WD. I keep hoping if I wait it will ease or level out. My thoughts are with you all..

This is changing my personality.It's hard to pretend to feel good so I don't whine...

Flower.. are you keeping a log of your symptoms.  In one of your last PMs to me (I had to delete my end as my box was full), you listed symptoms that sounded like side effects.  Above you seem to think it's WD.  You could be having both WD and side effects.. and this is where you need to get in touch with Alto.  She does not read all the posts of some of us older hands, so you may have to PM her on this.  Switching will most likely be bumpy, which does not mean it's not the best course for you... but you need feedback from Alto at this point.

Skyler

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Moderator Emeritus

Sending you healing hugs Flower xx

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

I know you're right Skyler...This generic brings back memories.It's been a while since I've taken it.I did log symptoms while taking the Greenstone generic but not since switching.I wonder if this drug has been my problem all along.

I wonder ,also if I take another little bit if the symptoms will ease but should I take more to stop the side effects or WD ,whatever this is.

What side effects Skyler can I expect from the Lyrica.It would help to know. I will PM Alto to see if she 'll look at my log. Thanks again..

Sending you healing hugs Flower xx

Thank you so much for the thought.I will get a grip....I have to. The WD from gabapentin must be terrible if I'm having this go on over a change in generics.

• Administrator

I'm sorry, I don't know anything about switching from gabapentin.

If you think a drug is making you worse, I would reduce the drug.

Sorry you're going through this, Flower.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry, I don't know anything about switching from gabapentin.

If you think a drug is making you worse, I would reduce the drug.

Sorry you're going through this, Flower.

Hi Alto.. one of the problems with this is whenever Flower starts to reduce the gabapentin, she loses the small edge it gives her in controlling neuropathic foot pain that resulted from an old injury.  It seems like whatever course Flower takes is going to be somewhat bumpy, but staying at the same dose of gabapentin is only prolonging the grief given the interplay of side effects and WD.

So maybe the best approach would be to go on a low dose of Lyrica, hold for 3 weeks, leaving the gabapentin alone, then taper down on the gabapentin?.. This just might be the right path.  What do you think Flower... Then if you have increased foot pain, you can adjust the dose of Lyrica up somewhat.. and at the same time, you would not be 'overshoot' the clinical dose of Lyrica.

Thanks for your reply.

Skyler

• Administrator

I really don't know anything about overlapping gabapentin and Lyrica to make a switch.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

After taking an extra 100 mgs af the gaba I had a much better day and got some sleep. Maybe a dose adjustment would be the ticket. I have never done that although it's been suggested many times. By several Doctors.

I do know the Greenstone generic is best for pain but the SE's were a bit much.

I need to get in a good place ..I want off the Celexa.

• Moderator Emeritus

Flower.. You asked me about tolerance withdrawal, do you mean that by staying at the same dose you go into WD, so need to take more to stop the symptoms?  Does this happen regularly, that you feel better when you take MORE gabapentin? 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Flower,

I'm sorry you're going through this; however, since you are sensitive to 'brand' changes, I would be reluctant to try to switch to a diff drug.

Like Alto, I don't know anything about switching these two but just want you to be careful. You've been through so much already, I'd hate to learn that a switch made things even worse.

I'm not trying to scare you, by any means, I'm just somewhat skeptical of 'switches'. Sometimes they work, sometimes not.

Hugs and healing!

My Doc wants me to try TID dosing to see if SEs ease.Does this make sense? And since the greenstone helped most with pain she wants me to take those. I will get them Monday..What do I have to lose. So 200mgs 3xs a day it will be. I hope it works. I don't want to switch either Tezza..

Flower.. You asked me about tolerance withdrawal, do you mean that by staying at the same dose you go into WD, so need to take more to stop the symptoms?  Does this happen regularly, that you feel better when you take MORE gabapentin?

Sometimes it helps but it backfired yesterday.I think taking extre with the 300mgs is way too much.I use to take 100mgs in the afternoon sometimes if I had alot of pain.

• Moderator Emeritus

Flower, if your symptoms are because of side effects, which is what both Alto and I think is going on, you need to develop a plan to taper off.  Strategies like adjusting the dose, or changing generics, or even going to the Brand Name neurontin may offer temporary relief, if that... but you need off gabapentin altogether (Brand or generic) to get clear of  the problems it causes you.  This by using a judicious taper.

Tezza.. I'm not sure what you mean when you mention switching.  I take Lyrica for severe nerve pain. During a flare I'd have virtually no quality of life without it... only unremitting painful misery.  It's my understanding Flower is in the same position, though the underlying cause is different and her pain is more intractable.  With all due respect, I don't see how going on a low dose of a medication to treat pain that would otherwise make life intolerable, and putting this in place before tapering gabapentin, is switching.  Or maybe I'm just being too literal here.  Please understand I'm kind of sensitive on this subject, as Lyrica was a huge help during y last uptick. I'm not advocating using one drug to help taper off another.

With the docs assistance, Flower might start on a low dose of Lyrica before she begins tapering gabapentin, and conceivably avoid WD pain she experiences with lower doses of gabapentin.. In a previous post on my thread, Alto said drug companies often advocate taking higher doses of medication as it's best for their bottom line, a circumstance I'm all too familiar with.  I think 100 mgs of Lyrica would have been more than enough for me, and now I'm stuck on 200 mgs until I can finally reduce to a saner dose.. maybe even 50 mgs would work.  So my biggest concern here is to emphasize the importance of finding the lowest effective clinical dose.

• Moderator Emeritus

PS... for clarity.  I don't mean uncomfortable or painful WD symptoms... I am referring to nerve pain that may rebound during WD, as well as pain that is no longer treated by gabapentin so once again becomes prominent.  Flower is already on a low dose of gabapentin, and as soon as the dose is reduced, she experiences an uptick of nerve pain in her feet.  This is understandably making her very fearful of tapering off gabapentin.

I began the dosing of 200mgs 3xs aday yesterday since I did have 100mg capsules. Oddly enough the pain didn't increase.I had a decent evening without the sickness, I know this doesn;t mean it will last.

This morning is rough beings I didn't have the 300mgs last nite but I expected that.

Yesterday morning when I didn't take the usual 300mgs I felt so different..I see WD is fast with this drug. Probably being so short acting.

Since I didn't begin this drug for anxiety only pain,I'm expecting some problems. If this doesn't work then the only way out is to taper this drug. I find it curious the pain didn't elevate waiting for the afternoon dose. That's when the I noticed more pain before.

Could this drug cause the pain it's suppose to help?

I'm quite anxious this morning so I'll get busy.

Thanks everyone for advice. Doc and the pharmacist have their fingers crossed.

Skyler a couple years ago I tried Lyrica..Only for a short but I couldn't tolerate the burning long enough to stay on the drug.

That's why I'm afraid to do it again.I will try again if I have to.

You guys are great.

I'm sorry, I don't know anything about switching from gabapentin. If you think a drug is making you worse, I would reduce the drug. Sorry you're going through this, Flower.

Thanks Alto I'm going to try TID dosing to ease SEs.The pharmacist and my Doc think this might help ..Better than a taper right now..300mgs seems to be too much at once.As long as no pain increase I can do this.It's just that WD is quick coming with this drug but 100mg drop at once is noticeable for sure.

So far so good with the new dosing of the gaba..If I need to switch to Lyrica hopefully this will make it easier.. Sleep is different,not so heavy. I'll get the 100mg Greenstone generic today..

Missed chattin with you Skyler.

another few days go by and I'm still trying to get use to dosing gaba 3 times a day. Mornings are rough after I take the celexa and gaba,,,Dizzy vertigo,flu like symptoms.Toward evening its easier,The dose in the afternoon makes me tired.I nap. I hate this drug but I need it. The greenstone generic messes me up..It's time to stick to the Amneal generic and hope for the best. I don't know why so much trouble now but its been a long time since I've been stable.I had no clue gabapentin could be so evil to get use to.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally,after switching doses and mgs of the gaba ,I am settling down a little. Back to 300mgs 2xs a day.This seems to be best for me. I got the Gralise that is time released but am leery to take it as it comes 300mgs..I don't tolerate that kind of increase well if I need to do that in the future..I sure notice side effects in the afternoon..I will wait it out..The 200mgs I was taking at 2:00 was way too much.Depressed weepy and tired..Is now gone.

Once stable I am considering a 25mg reduction of the trazadone to see if this T eases.I noticed an increase in the noise when I went to the 300 at nite, This doesn't bother me during the day.So I tend to think it's the trazadone?

I upset my friend Liz with my sometimes ignorant attitude..I am so sorry,her friendship means alot.I hope she can forgive me.I have bad days too...

It's ok Flower. We are all just trying to get through this the best we can. Let's hang in there. I'm glad the Gaba is settling down for you. That's great news!

2006-Cymbalta 60mg for lyme disease2009-Quit Cymbalta c/tFeb. 2010-Reinstated 60mg CymMar.2010 to May.2012 tapered Cym to 36mgMay 2012-Crossed over to 30mg CelexaMay 2012-Oct.2013 Tapered Celexa down to 2.5mgOct.2013-Switched to 30 beads CymbaltaDec.4,2013-Stopped Cymbalta at 17 beads<p>Akathisia hit at 6 wks off and continuesNow taking melatonin when needed for sleep.

yes Liz I hope you stay well..I know you will do this.I've never seen determination like you have..That's a good thing.

Keep at it ladybug.

• 2 weeks later...

Another week goes by and I am still trying to stay put on the generic Amneal,gabapentin. I can't keep switching and expect to feel better.It's been 3 weeks back to 300mgs 2xs a day..

I still think I don't dose correctly ..most of my problems occur at the same time of day @2pm.The problem is trying to tolerate more than 600mgs a day. I get very ill. I've been offered the time release version but I so afraid to make another change.The WD from gaba is very intense I don't know how Rhi got off this stuff and stayed sane..

When Doc explained how different the generics can be it scared me.I have been switched so many times and was never informed..An epileptic drug should never be switched,in my opinion.I can see how if I had a seizure disorder this could be devastating..I am now sensitive to sound,my ears bother me all the time,the T is louder than normal.My neck and shoulders burn..The gaba needs to be dosed 3 xs a day I read ,or it makes your brain angry....lol

does that make sense? Maybe Rhi would know..

I am afraid to continue with any kind of gabapentin...pregabalin or Gralise.The WD from this stuff terrifies me.

Although it's been a while since I gave up Ativan and the tramadol it seems like yesterday..

My doc said she wished she could hospitalize me to get me off this stuff..She realizes the gaba may be the source of alot of my problems..The mania ,insomnia,anxiety.low white blood count.I don't know if I should take more or quit.Seems if I have a blood count issue I shouldn't take this stuffRight now I am stuck on stupid .Hoping I will wake up and feel better.Or take those pills and feel normal. Even ordinary..

Gabapentin is a whole other WD..Anyone who has done it and tolerated the pain,I commend you.

My goal is to be off Celexa and Trazadone and onto a pain med that doesn't make me so anxious and ill.Is that so much to ask?

I still have NOT taken klonopin or vicoden..That stuff would make this easier..

Enough whining again...I came here to vent..Thank you all for listening.I think of you guys all the time..Liz Abir Lexi...Skyler you are angels..

My sweet, sweet flower ..I have been thinking of you, and you are always

in my prayers.

I am so sorry that you are struggling ..What have we gotten ourselves into,

with these evil drugs?

Please try and keep the faith, that all will be allright ..Don't loose hope.

I too have been having terrible waves ..This last one is here for two days ..

But we just have to hold on, and keep walking, step by step..

Know that you are never far from thought .. :)

Sending you much love, Lexi

Hello,
I am tapering Lorazepam, and my daily dose is 1.125 mgs.

I followed a long hold for 5 months, ( Nov-March 2019) hoping to find some stability, 

but it did not work. So I resumed my taper and hold pattern.
For the last 3 years, I have been using a daily microtaper, cutting .001mgs per day, with holds as needed.
Symptoms are head pressure, labored breathing, palpitations, abrupt surges of dizziness, this being my worst symptom for now, internal tremors, my latest nemesis, unsteadiness, anxiety, plus many other symptoms that cycle in, and cycle out consistently. Not a day passes, without grief :(

I take no other meds.

January 2013 - 15 day quick taper off 10 mgs of Lexapro, and 25 mgs of Sertraline,

at a detox clinic.

Thank you Lexi..I find some relief in the fact that gaba is the drug that has been making me ill for a long time.Now if I could just quit dragging my feet and find the strength to do something about it. I feel like a drug addict, taking this drug that makes me sick so I don't WD from it.

I can't seem to take extra for the SEs..The depression from this drug is terrible and fast coming.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone..I have been plugging along with the gabapentin..Back to the original dose of 300mgs 2xs a day and the original generic. It has taken a while to calm down from the changes.I realized I sleep alot better if I don't take the gaba with the trazadone,I mean the difference is 3 to 4 more hours of sleep.

I'm trying to make the change slowly but the effects are still intense.I can't believe I am so sensitive to this drug. I'm moving it a half an hour at a time til I get to 8 and 8...Even a half hour has the anxiety ramped up in the morning and toward evening.It took about 3 days to notice the change..

The T has changed, or else I sleep through it. It's not as loud..I have a" Medicine Head " I will call it.I think that sums it up for alot of us here.

Both my Docs are watching this change and agree I will have to try something else for this nerve pain if I can't adjust. Because of all these SEs it will probably not be a gabapentin drug...I can honestly say the Celexa was easier than all this change in this gaba..This has been since Dec...

I think my pharmacy realizes it's best to notify customers of switches in generics.

I miss everyone but I hate whining all the time....

• Moderator Emeritus

You are missed, too, flower! I'm glad things are finally settling down. I don't think anyone here thinks you're whining, we have to express our complaints and this is the best place I know to do just that.Hugs!

Ditto Flower... I was only frustrated there was no more I could do to help!

• Administrator

Good to hear you figured it out, you're doing better, and you're educating all of the medical personnel.

Thanks alot everyone. Just a question if someone could help please...Can 15 minutes really make a difference in the dosing of the gaba? Also got a new 90 day supply of gaba...Could this make a difference? Feeling "out of sorts."

• Moderator Emeritus

For me, those things wouldn't have made a difference with gabapentin. On the other hand, I have a bottle of liquid Risperdal that I'm terrified of because its a different brand. I have another full bottle of the same brand I'm used to so I'm praying I won't need the different bottle at all.

Well, I actually have almost two bottles of the one I'm used to. If I can only make it to .1mg, one bottle will last 300 days. I'm at .133 now.

Your CNS is unique, just like all the rest of your body is unique. What's difficult for me may or may not be difficult for others.

I'm sorry you're feeling 'out of sorts' and hope you feel better soon!

Hugs!!!

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks alot everyone. Just a question if someone could help please...Can 15 minutes really make a difference in the dosing of the gaba? Also got a new 90 day supply of gaba...Could this make a difference? Feeling "out of sorts."

I would not think 15 mins would make any difference, but a different bottle of gabapentin could.  However, it is the generic you have been having good fortune with? It's probably okay, and if it's a little unsettling, see if your doc will prescribe in a way that will let you have a weeks stash so you can stagger the newer pills with the 'old'.

Good to hear there has been some progress at long last..

I don't think it's so much the 15 minutes,and actually it's almost an hour , but the separating the trazadone and the gabapentin. I'm waking up anxious again too. I'm sure there's not so much sedation now separating the two meds. Maybe it is the new script,the others were about 5 months old. Capsules though..Sure wish it was a pill instead.Last night the anxiety started right on time @ 5pm ,some nausea and headache.I don't want to dose 3xs a day..Hope it levels out.

I wonder if Rhi dosed 3 times a day? I see this drug is used as a mood stabilizer? Sure doesn't stabilize me.

• Administrator

You might want to look for drug interactions http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html