SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Early-morning waking - managing the morning cortisol spike

Altostrata

I tried the Taurine again after rereading Lexhex's thread.  I got the expected allergic reaction the first time around. But instead of taking it before bedtime- I took it in the morning. I spent the rest of the day and well into the night much less anxious. 

Now it's only been one night/day, but it does seem to be helping. One time occurrence or long lasting- remains to be seen.

1)Zoloft- 6/99 to 8/04 2)Escitalopram- 8/04 to 8/10 3)Citalopram 8/10 to 4/14 (C/T), 4)Paxil a week or so, 5)Wellbutrin a week or so, 6)Reinstated Citalopram- 9/14 to 7/15

Before Taper- Celexa/20 mg....Taper Start- 04/21/15- 15mg....05/26/15- 10 mg...06/22/15- 5 mg...07/18/15- 0mg. http://tinyurl.com/qjfoqe9 Ativan/Lorazepam use/taper 10/14 to 2/15- http://tinyurl.com/ljebp84

Baclofen- Intermittent use of from 2008 till 2014. Some use of Promethazine. Some use of Zofran. Clobetasol Propionate- for Lichen Planus. Some Flexeril use. 

Ativan- GABA,A receptor Agonist., Baclofen- GABA,B receptor Agonist., Celexa/Lexapro- Serotonin 5-HT1A Receptor Agonist., Zofran- Serotonin 5-HT3 Receptor Agonist..Promethazine- Histamine H1-Receptor Antagonist. Flexeril- Serotonin 5HT2a Antagonist.

My self imposed Amino Acid Therapy: Tyrosine 500mg 1xday, Theanine 200 mg 1xday, & Taurine 500 mg 2x day. (All neurotransitter pre-cursors)- seems to have helped me immensely. And of course- eating healthy, including Black Beans for the oligosaccharides for gut health.

The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of trick learned while mastering the Art of Living. - Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning.

• 5 weeks later...

My Cortisol Spikes are much improved. In fact I've added some other Amino Acids- and last night- I had NO cortisol spikes.

1)Zoloft- 6/99 to 8/04 2)Escitalopram- 8/04 to 8/10 3)Citalopram 8/10 to 4/14 (C/T), 4)Paxil a week or so, 5)Wellbutrin a week or so, 6)Reinstated Citalopram- 9/14 to 7/15

Before Taper- Celexa/20 mg....Taper Start- 04/21/15- 15mg....05/26/15- 10 mg...06/22/15- 5 mg...07/18/15- 0mg. http://tinyurl.com/qjfoqe9 Ativan/Lorazepam use/taper 10/14 to 2/15- http://tinyurl.com/ljebp84

Baclofen- Intermittent use of from 2008 till 2014. Some use of Promethazine. Some use of Zofran. Clobetasol Propionate- for Lichen Planus. Some Flexeril use. 

Ativan- GABA,A receptor Agonist., Baclofen- GABA,B receptor Agonist., Celexa/Lexapro- Serotonin 5-HT1A Receptor Agonist., Zofran- Serotonin 5-HT3 Receptor Agonist..Promethazine- Histamine H1-Receptor Antagonist. Flexeril- Serotonin 5HT2a Antagonist.

My self imposed Amino Acid Therapy: Tyrosine 500mg 1xday, Theanine 200 mg 1xday, & Taurine 500 mg 2x day. (All neurotransitter pre-cursors)- seems to have helped me immensely. And of course- eating healthy, including Black Beans for the oligosaccharides for gut health.

The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of trick learned while mastering the Art of Living. - Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning.

My Cortisol Spikes are much improved. In fact I've added some other Amino Acids- and last night- I had NO cortisol spikes.

Please tell us what specific amino acids are helping you. I know taurine is a GABA agonist.

CURRENT Rx SUMMARY:

1) Clonazepam: started @ 1.0mg (0.5mg b.i.d.) 10-31-14; commenced step-wise dry-cut microtaper 08-09-15; @ ~ 0.625mg b.i.d. as of 09-08-19.
2) Lamictal: started @ 100mg q.d. from 10-23-14 to 12-04-14; started tapering 12-05-14 ; holding @ 4mg q.d. from 05-13-15 to present.
3) Carvedilol (antihypertensive): 6.25mg b.i.d.

4) Telmisartan (antihypertensive): 80mg q.d. 

5) Xarelto (anticoagulant): 10mg q.d.

6) NP Thyroid (dessicated thyroid replacement): 1.50 grain q.d.

7) Supplements (not updated): https://app.box.com/s/ucrx0b4b46slp8j8gzox

• 1 month later...

Please tell us what specific amino acids are helping you. I know taurine is a GABA agonist.

I've read reports that Taurine acts as a GABA agonist, but it's also the most plentiful amino acid in the human brain: http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/2008/02/scientists-close-taurines-activity-brain

I've reports that it increases Dopamine, Serotonin, Testosterone, etc. I've read that it cuts down on Glutamate. And a report that it turns into GABA.  Unlike the Antidepressant Crap we've been swallowing.

It also appears that Taurine is responsible for increased nerve growth in the Amygdala.  The report that said that didn't mention other parts of the brain. But then they weren't studying anything other than the Amygdala.

The Amino Acids I've been taking: Taurine (2x a day with Magnesium) Once before bed, once upon awakening.  Tyrosine (1x day- 500 mg) an hour after breakfast. Theanine (1x 200mg) an hour after the Tyrosine. One banana an hour after the Theanine. (Which apparently converts a good portion to Tyrosine- and ultimately Dopamine).

The longer I take the regimen- well the Cortisol Spikes seem to come and go. A midnight snack helps with that nasty 2:30 in the morning for now. (slice of bread, olive oil spritzed, and a single slice of meat, bread folded over) A bite or two does me good.

But- I'm in my third window in a month.  Probably nothing more than a coincidence.

Can anyone recommend how to lower evening and before bed cortisol spikes?

Have you cut down your sugar intake?  Eliminating just about all of mine seems to help immensely for me.

I've read reports that Taurine acts as a GABA agonist, but it's also the most plentiful amino acid in the human brain: http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/2008/02/scientists-close-taurines-activity-brain

I've reports that it increases Dopamine, Serotonin, Testosterone, etc. I've read that it cuts down on Glutamate. And a report that it turns into GABA.  Unlike the Antidepressant Crap we've been swallowing.

It also appears that Taurine is responsible for increased nerve growth in the Amygdala.  The report that said that didn't mention other parts of the brain. But then they weren't studying anything other than the Amygdala.

The Amino Acids I've been taking: Taurine (2x a day with Magnesium) Once before bed, once upon awakening.  Tyrosine (1x day- 500 mg) an hour after breakfast. Theanine (1x 200mg) an hour after the Tyrosine. One banana an hour after the Theanine. (Which apparently converts a good portion to Tyrosine- and ultimately Dopamine).

The longer I take the regimen- well the Cortisol Spikes seem to come and go. A midnight snack helps with that nasty 2:30 in the morning for now. (slice of bread, olive oil spritzed, and a single slice of meat, bread folded over) A bite or two does me good.

But- I'm in my third window in a month.  Probably nothing more than a coincidence.

Here is the link that best explains the different GABA agonists (scroll down to the one for taurine): http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/54028-treating-anxiety-safely-effectively/

This may be more of a concern for those of us in the midst of tapering benzos.

Have you tried magnesium taurate (which combines the best of both worlds)? NAC also reduces glutamate helps both depression and anxiety.

MEDS SUMMARY:

1) Valium: 10mg avg prn from 09-06-14 to 10-20-14
2) Xanax: 0.75mg avg prn from from 09-19-14 to 10-16-14
3) Lexapro: 5mg q.d. from 10-06-14 to 10-16-14
4) switched immediately to Clonazepam: 0.5mg average/day for 2 weeks (10-17-24-10-30-14); titrated to 1mg (0.5mg bid) on 10-31-14 to present; started microtaper @ .625% (.0031250mg x 2) from 08-09-15 to 08-15-15; .800% (.0038750mg x 2) from 08-16-15 to present; destabilized 08-19-15 (due to change from original tablet); reinstated, on day 54, and have tapered a total of 14% as of 09-30-15 with zero symptoms (knock on wood)!
5) Lamictal: 100mg q.d. from 10-23-14 to 12-04-14; started tapering 12-05-14, 25mg every 2 weeks; destabilized 01-15-14; reinstated 01-22-15 at 25mg q.d. from 01-24-15 to 02-19-15; cut approx. 3-4mg every 5-10 days until 03-22-15, then cut 2mg every 5-6 days until 05-12-15; holding at 4mg q.d. from 05-13-15 to present.
Detailed Analysis - Lamictal history: https://app.box.com/s/rnermghleue9aemyhd57l1a00gsk2i4u

6) Also taking meds for blood pressure (Coreg @ 6.25mg b.i.d. and Losartan @ 50mg b.i.d.) + for blood clot I had back in 2012 (Xarelto @ 10mg) + for hypothyroidism (Armour Thyroid @ 1grain q.d.)

HISTORY & SUPPLEMENT LIST: https://app.box.com/s/mc9mch8za2lbizgs9z8j4mzhz2oswn8l

Hi... This question is for anyone here who has had their cortisol levels tested. What is considered a high value of cortisol? I have had my lood tested at 10 AM and it came back 25.9. Can someone recommend anything that might stabalize the cortisol levels? I am no longer suffering from insomnia. The insomnia I was having turned out to be from elevated estrogen levels which I treated with acupuncture and chinese herbs. I have been sleeping well since I began treatment but I have the feeling that cortisol may still be high since I still have the anxiety when I wake and am not able to sleep past 6 am on most days. I have read that ashwaganda and rhodiola may help but from what I read they only work while you are taking it. I'm looking for something that can normalize the cortisol without having to continue taking it forever. I have cut out coffee and alcohol as I have also learned that these significantly elevate cortisol. Thanks everyone. I'm hoping someone may havd useful information. I am so grateful for this site

Hello everyone,

I had severe morning anxiety to the point where I could only lay down waiting for the evening to come, the only time I could relax and think properly. For no reason whatsoever my adrenaline and/or cortisol were skyrocketing in the morning after 30 minutes waking up. I would not wish that awful feeling to my worst enemy. I also developed intolerance to some food, especially wheat and probably increased my body inflammation. I am now taking a SSRI called Lexapro (I tried Aropax but did not do much for me) which is one of the most popular SSRI for anxiety. However it did not work 100% and still had brain fog, lack of concentration, poor memory and lack of energy.
I have tried so many supplements I hardly remember all of them. Recently I discovered some so-called adaptogen herbs/mushrooms and made a great difference in my level of energy, concentration and memory. Since I discovered them I have been reconsidering the root cause of my morning anxiety which is possible chronic stress. These adaptogen herbs are known to relief from stress and made me feel like I was ten years ago, before I fell into the awful anxiety tunnel.
I now regularly take ashwagandha extract, or Withania somnifera, (standardized to minimum 5% withanolides) at night which helps me to sleep soundly and Cordyceps and Rhodiola Rosea (standardized to 3% rosavins and 1% salidroside) extracts in the morning. Cordyceps' effect, in particular, lasts almost all day and makes a big difference for me. Schisandra and Jiaogulan are also good adaptogens.
I believe there are many types and causes of severe anxiety and the only way to find a solution is to try as many supplements as possible and find the one that works the best with limited side effects.
With regards to non adaptogens, theanine and glutamine are also very popular but did not do much for me. GABA supplements do not pass the Blood–brain barrier so they are potentially useless. There are some genetic mutations that do not allow to convert some vitamin Bs to their active form, so another potential avenue is to try a good supplement with Active/coenzymated forms of vitamin Bs. Sublingual delivery, beside intramuscular injection, is the most potent/efficient form for those vitamins and their bioavailability. I also tried Phosphorylated Serine (seriphos) which is supposed to lower cortisol levels but it did not improve much my situation despite the fact that, suffering from morning anxiety, the cortisol levels should play a key role in causing it considering they are at their peak in the morning.
If you really want to explore further and find a potential genetic cause for your anxiety/depression you can also take a DNA test with 23andme.com and plug the raw data files into third parties genetic explorers such as livewello.com, promethease.com, nutrahacker.com, geneticgenie.org, knowyourgenetics.com and decodify.me. Some of those genetic explorers can find out whether you have a genetic mutation that affect the methylation in your body. In this case active form of B9 (methylfolate), B12 (methylcobalamin, hydroxocobalamin or adenosylcobalamin) and B6 (Pyridoxal-5'-Phosphate) could help.
After a decade of personal research, I hope it may help someone else in my situation who is suffering from severe morning anxiety. There is indeed light at the end of the tunnel. Stay strong and do not be afraid to try several supplements.

Fabio
PS: Vitacost.com, iherb.com, Swansonvitamins.com are some of the best websites where I buy most of my supplements

Or perh

Hi... This question is for anyone here who has had their cortisol levels tested. What is considered a high value of cortisol? I have had my lood tested at 10 AM and it came back 25.9. Can someone recommend anything that might stabalize the cortisol levels? I am no longer suffering from insomnia. The insomnia I was having turned out to be from elevated estrogen levels which I treated with acupuncture and chinese herbs. I have been sleeping well since I began treatment but I have the feeling that cortisol may still be high since I still have the anxiety when I wake and am not able to sleep past 6 am on most days. I have read that ashwaganda and rhodiola may help but from what I read they only work while you are taking it. I'm looking for something that can normalize the cortisol without having to continue taking it forever. I have cut out coffee and alcohol as I have also learned that these significantly elevate cortisol. Thanks everyone. I'm hoping someone may havd useful information. I am so grateful for this site

Here is the link that best explains the different GABA agonists (scroll down to the one for taurine): http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/54028-treating-anxiety-safely-effectively/

This may be more of a concern for those of us in the midst of tapering benzos.

Have you tried magnesium taurate (which combines the best of both worlds)? NAC also reduces glutamate helps both depression and anxiety.

Quote: Of course, the question of what taurine actually does in the brain remains unanswered for now. "Unraveling that mystery is the prime goal of that research, and that's where we're headed next." Dr. Harrison says.

Unquote.

All I know is: It helps. 

It doesn't eliminate the anxiety. And with all due respect to the researchers- it's helping me. It may be a Gaba Agonist, it may not. By their own admission- they don't know what it does.

The effects of Taurine on the Brain.

• Most frequently found in the central nervous system, retina, skeletal muscle, and heart, taurine is potentially useful in treating seizure disorders, cardiovascular problems, and some eye problems.

• Taurine functions in electrically active tissues, such as the brain and heart, to help stabilize cell membranes.

• This amino also appears to have some antioxidant and detoxifying effects.

• With the support of zinc, taurine aids in moving certain minerals in and out of cells and thus helping generate nerve impulses.

• As an inhibitory neurotransmitter, taurine’s main use has been to help in the treatment of epilepsy and other excitable brain states, where it functions as a mild sedative. Doses for this effect are 500 to 1,000 mg three times daily.

• Often prescribed in Japan and other countries for heart ailments, taurine assists your body’s healing process after a heart attack. Heart rhythm problems and heart weakness associated with congestive heart failure often respond to high doses, from 2 to 6 grams, three times daily.

• People with high blood pressure and high cholesterol also benefit from taurine in some cases.

• If you have heart disease, discuss the use of taurine with your doctor. Taurine is beneficial for various cardiovascular problems, including heart attacks, arrhythmias, congestive heart failure, and coronary heart disease.

• Taurine is one of the most important, useful, and safest amino acid supplements. Your body can produce this nutrient from cysteine with the help of vitamin B-6. Dietary sources of taurine are fish and meat. Vegetarians are more likely to get reduced levels of taurine in their diets.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/taurine-for-a-healthy-heart-and-nerves.html

With all due respect here.

I've gone from a near psychotic episode from lack of adequate sleep- to being able to function more fully on the job. (Yes, I have to work for a living). Primarily with the use of Taurine.  You wanna stay away- knock yourself out. But I'm speaking from personal experience. Anecdotal. 

Do I still get anxiety attacks and cortisol spikes in the middle of the night? You betcha. Do I have to deal with anxiety attacks during the day? You betcha!  So why am I taking Taurine? Because it's calming things down. I can get some sleep and night and not feel like I'm being tortured all of the time.  The anxiety attacks during the day are now down to a dull roar. I can do my job and be productive. 

My heart palpitations are down from several times a day for 15 minutes at a whack to once in a great while for a couple of skipped beats.

Taurine stimulates proliferation and promotes neurogenesis of mouse adult cultured neural stem/progenitor cells

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1873506112000232

The potential protective effects of taurine on coronary heart disease

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2813349/

Now if I'm going to try to avoid Taurine. How?

It's highly available naturally.

Taurine is an amino acid that can be made in your body from two other amino acids: cysteine and methionine Adequate amounts of taurine can usually be obtained from animal and fish protein, eggs and brewer's yeast (NOTE: if you have a viral or fungal infection, eating brewer's yeast can cause allergic reactions).Since taurine can be made in our bodies, it was thought to be a non-essential amino acid … however in certain circumstances, it is actually considered essential.

http://bodyecology.com/articles/deficient_in_taurine.php

I'm still going through withdrawals. I don't care if ends up making me withdraw longer. What it's done for me is make sure that my withdrawal is bearable enough to continue working my paycheck supplying job.

I've been off Paroxetine for a year. Last February, I started DHEA and iodine. DHEA pushes back against depression. Iodine lowers anxiety. I began to sleep better and feel better.

After a couple months, I started feeling very odd in the mornings, within an hour of taking my supplements and until lunch or mid-afternoon. I noticed an odd, "wet" pressure in my head—as when you've been in the pool too long. There was also slight confusion, slurring, and other problems with speech, in particular. My fine motor skills were off, too.

These symptoms coincide with iodine intake. I felt fine by the late afternoon and early evening. But if you feel this way, you're doing something wrong.

Problem is, when I don't take iodine, my anxiety ratchets up a bit every day, and I get cortisol spikes after four hours of sleep, leaving me exhausted throughout the following day. And more anxious and depressed.

Paroxetine made turned me into a retarded zombie. I'm not certain the way I feel now—especially with these cortisol spikes undermining my entire life—is any better.

Began in 1998 at 20mg/day. Dropped from 20 to 10mg/day around 2006. Dropped from 10 to 5mg/day in June of 2014. Dropped from 5 to 0mg/day in June of 2015. Rough times, indeed.

In the second month after stopping geodon I woke up with mild anxiety during the night. But it went away. In May I reduced clonazepam by 8% and 2 1/2 weeks later experienced waking with a start about 3 times per night for a few weeks then it stopped. But I have experienced this feeling at waking and sometimes during the night all of my life. As a child when it would happen during the night I would go to my parents room and they would calm me down and put me on the couch right outside their room and tell me to concentrate on the flickering light of the flame in the oil stove. It always worked. But I have continued to experience this anxiety waking. Then yesterday a poor little dog was hit by a car right in front of our house. These types of things have always upset me greatly and I could not get the sounds of the dog suffering and the sight of him until he died out of my mind. This morning I work up at 4 but no anxiety but when I fell asleep again at 7 I had an uncomfortable dream (this usually precedes the anxiety upon waking) and woke up at 9 with anxiety. It never lasts. It is only momentary. I have to get used to this again after being in a chemical induced sleep for 12 years. Interesting.

I am not a medical professional. My comments and posts are based on personal experiences. Please consult appropriate medical professionals for advice. 

I was started on psych drugs back in the late 80's. You name it. I probably was on it. Tapered off final cocktail 2013-2019. For Hashimotos and high blood pressure I take Levothyroxine. Liothyronine. Spironolactone. Hydrochlorothiazide. Losartan. B12 hydroxy. Fish oil w/D3. Bee pollen. Magnesium Glycinate.

• 2 weeks later...

You know that feeling - you are in good form the previous evening, go to bed in pretty high spirits only to wake up deflated and anxious. It's as if the petrol you were operating on the previous evening suddenly dried up the next morning. Concentration is poor in the morning and an over all feeling of irritability predominates especially around other people/family members. You haven't changed over night in terms of your personality/thoughts etc but somehow the internal hardware has started malfunctioning and it will be evening time before you're operating properly again.

All down to cortisol levels or is there any other rational explanations?

May 2007 - October 2007 Citalopram 20 mg od. 1st Antidepressant ever taken. No problem with fast taper and no withdrawal effects. No antidepressants for over 5 years.

January 2013 started Citalopram 20mg.

March 2014 Switched to Sertraline 50 mg od.

23rd June 2016 started taper 45mg

23.07.16 40.5mg 23.08.16 36.45mg 27.09.16 34.65mg 24.10.16 32.90mg 28.11.16 31.26mg 04.01.17 32mg 25.02.17 31mg 22.03.17 30mg 14.04.17 29mg 09.05.17 28mg 07.06.17 27mg 08.06.17 26mg 13.07.17 25mg 07.08.17 24mg 24.08.17 23mg 13.09.17 22mg 12.10.17 21mg 10.11.17 20mg 04.12.17 19mg 01.01.18 17mg 25.01.18 15mg 22.02.18 13.5mg 25.03.18 12.15mg 

I've been wondering the same thing now for a long time. I've been searching with Google. I want to know what I can do about it...concentration is really poor indeed and it's absolutely discouraging

I can't find much information about what's happening in the brain after sleep and waking up, in my own language I mean. Something to do with neurotransmitters?

My morning schedule:
-Get up around 7. Don't want to say in bed too long because I'll start ruminating
-Pull back curtains to let lots of light in(seems like a good way to activate certain processes in body and brain) 
-Take a shower (not too long), dress and apply make-up
-Eat my breakfast, watch tv a little, drink coffee or green tea and take my supplements
-Meditate or practice mindfulness with the audio tracks I got from my therapist. Also read a little from my self-help book

Every other day I'll go out for a half an hour run in the woods near by.

After this routine I go to work (desk job). Most of the time I'm still a little depressed but not having continuous OCD thoughts anymore.

All my life: Occasional panic attacks. 2003: Burnout  2004: intrusion (OCD'ish) / anxiety. Therapies: acupuncture, Chinese herbs, hypnotherapy --> symptoms were manageable (did return once in a while), depression lifted.
2007 - Relapse, started with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. Therapist recommended Fevarin (fluvoxamine) 150 mg. Recovery after 3 months and remained stable. Mild side effects.
2009 - Tapered fluvoxamine. No withdrawal symptoms. 2010 - Relapse, same Pure O thought and anxiety.  Started taking 100 mg of fluvoxamine but after 9 weeks no change in symptoms. Did not have any effect on Pure O thought. Switched to Lexapro (escitalopram) 20 mg.  Drug started working within 3 weeks. Mild side effects. Slowly over the years tapered to 5 mg.
2015: Lots of personal issues and setbacks, occasional panic attack. 2016: April started skipping doses; 5mg escitalopram every other day (in hindsight a bad idea)
May: Major relapse, anxiety and intrusion returned. Depression. Increased from 2,5 mg 15 mg in two weeks. Side effects: neuro-emotions
June: Escitalopram has no effect on the frequency of the intrusion...after 4 weeks my general doctor advised me to do a fast taper to 5mg. Withdrawal effects (2/3 weeks): neuro-emotions, lack of focus, crying spells, fatigue, muscle twitches in legs, cortisol spikes just before waking up July: Stable on 5 mg. Depression and intrusion lifted during holiday (lots of sunshine, long walks and relaxing) August: Drop down to 2,5 mg. Withdrawal effects (tinnitus, headagues) are noticeable, but still mild in comparison to the big drop earlier.
22th August: stopped escitalopram completely. Cortisol spikes just before waking up, still OCD (only temporary improvements), WD-depression and WD-neuro emotions.
Update 6 dec: no medication, any withdrawal symptoms not noticable. Taking supplements for intrusive thoughts and overall well being: N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) omega 3 fish oils, zinc, vitamin d, magnesium l-threonate, ginko biloba

Hello Lakelander.

Some people, but not all by any means, have a cortisol awakening response which leads to a rise of cortisol in the morning.  In addition, the HPA Axis can be disrupted in medication withdrawal and lead to poor cortisol regulation. 

Quite separately from cortisol, you may find overnight fasting causes low blood sugar and consequent poor CNS functioning in the morning.  Eating breakfast without delay on waking or eating late at night might help in such cases.

Difficult two year benzo taper. Subsequently took amitriptyline and Lyrica for pain and had to taper off them too. Both tapers were brutal possibly because of an underlying mitochondrial disorder which caused nerves to have insufficient energy to function.

I've been wondering the same thing now for a long time. I've been searching with Google. I want to know what I can do about it...concentration is really poor indeed and it's absolutely discouraging

I can't find much information about what's happening in the brain after sleep and waking up, in my own language I mean. Something to do with neurotransmitters?

My morning schedule:

-Get up around 7. Don't want to say in bed too long because I'll start ruminating

-Pull back curtains to let lots of light in(seems like a good way to activate certain processes in body and brain) 

-Take a shower (not too long), dress and apply make-up

-Eat my breakfast, watch tv a little, drink coffee or green tea and take my supplements

-Meditate or practice mindfulness with the audio tracks I got from my therapist. Also read a little from my self-help book

Every other day I'll go out for a half an hour run in the woods near by.

After this routine I go to work (desk job). Most of the time I'm still a little depressed but not having continuous OCD thoughts anymore.

I oversleep, sometimes I lie in bed to 12 noon, sometimes even longer. I know this is disgraceful but it takes my mind and body so long to get up and running. It maybe 5 in the evening before my brain is functioning correctly. Then the rest of the evening I'm generally fine until the next morning and repeat. It's a self perpetuating cycle. Im not working, haven't done so since 2012.

Usually I go for a walk/run/ swim during the day. On some of my daily walks, it's can take very little to make me jump, even leaves rustling, sudden sounds or the sight of somebody appearing in the distance. Apart from my exercise, very little stimulates/ interests me- primarily because my nervous system is so much on edge and my concentration so poor. It's strange because in someways I think I've went into a partial withdrawal even on the full dose of Sertraline- so you're left wondering when should I kick on with this taper. Will my brain and nervous system start the healing process if I start the taper even when I'm not fully stabilised?

May 2007 - October 2007 Citalopram 20 mg od. 1st Antidepressant ever taken. No problem with fast taper and no withdrawal effects. No antidepressants for over 5 years.

January 2013 started Citalopram 20mg.

March 2014 Switched to Sertraline 50 mg od.

23rd June 2016 started taper 45mg

23.07.16 40.5mg 23.08.16 36.45mg 27.09.16 34.65mg 24.10.16 32.90mg 28.11.16 31.26mg 04.01.17 32mg 25.02.17 31mg 22.03.17 30mg 14.04.17 29mg 09.05.17 28mg 07.06.17 27mg 08.06.17 26mg 13.07.17 25mg 07.08.17 24mg 24.08.17 23mg 13.09.17 22mg 12.10.17 21mg 10.11.17 20mg 04.12.17 19mg 01.01.18 17mg 25.01.18 15mg 22.02.18 13.5mg 25.03.18 12.15mg 

I know the feeling! Feeling good in the evening, being a wreck in the morning. 

According to your signature you have been on Sertraline 50 mg since 2014. Maybe you should try to reduce the dose just a little? Say 5%? Maybe you are experiencing tolerance or the so called poop-out effect? 

1997-1999 Citalopram 20 mg

1999-2014 Sertraline 50 mg

2012 Sertraline very quick taper due to side effects. Switched to Wellbutrin 150 mg-300 mg. Reinstated Sertraline 25 mg-50 mg.

2013 Exhaustion. Wellbutrin 150 mg. Sertraline 75 mg-100 mg.

Sept 2014 Found this site. Started tapering. Sertraline 87,5 mg + Wellbutrin 150 mg 

Aug 2015 No more Wellbutrin!! Sertraline 50 mg

2016 Sertraline 35 mg (January) - 33 mg (March 21st) - 32,5 mg (July 11) - 32 mg (July 27)

2017 March 28,2 mg and holding

You know that feeling - you are in good form the previous evening, go to bed in pretty high spirits only to wake up deflated and anxious. It's as if the petrol you were operating on the previous evening suddenly dried up the next morning. Concentration is poor in the morning and an over all feeling of irritability predominates especially around other people/family members. You haven't changed over night in terms of your personality/thoughts etc but somehow the internal hardware has started malfunctioning and it will be evening time before you're operating properly again.

All down to cortisol levels or is there any other rational explanations?

I don't have the answer to your question although I can relate. I can feel quite anxious and sometimes depressed in the morning time, just after waking up.

Sometimes I wake from a dream and my dreams can be unsettling sometimes. They are not quite nightmares but the anxiety caries through to wakefulness.

When I leave the house and start about my day I generally feel better though.

Previously - zopiclone, risperidone, lyrica (pregabalin), ativan (lorezapam)
01/Aug/2016 -  65mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
12/Aug/2016 -  75mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
03/Oct/2016 -  70mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
29/Oct/2016 -  65mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
25/Nov/2016 -  65mg effexor, 4mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
25/Dec/2016 -  60mg effexor, 3.6mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
18/Jan/2017 -  60mg effexor, 5.25mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
27/Mar/2017 -  54mg effexor, 5.25mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
23/Apr/2017 -  54mg effexor, 7.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
09/May/2017 -  75mg effexor, 7.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
08/Jun/2017 -  75mg effexor, 6.75mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
18/Jul/2017 -  75mg effexor, 6mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
Sometimes valium. Not daily. Supplements - Sterols and Stanols.
Note : I would really hope that nobody uses my tapering history as a guideline. It might not work well for somebody else tapering similar medications.

I feel exactly the same. Went to be feeling good wake up feeling anxious nwgative thoughts sweating too. Don't want to get up but of course force myself. Feel in my own bubble too then I start feeling norm say 11 am onwards but some days especially pmt week I feel crap all day till night. Why and what can I do to help. X

May 2003 prozac for six months after having first child. Came off taper slow. No withdrawals.

December 2009 10mg citalopram after second child.

January 2010 up to 20mg kinda helped. Not much.

July 2010 taper off within a month.

Side affects of tiredness tears. Doctor said I depressed still.

Oct 2010 Went back doctor they put me on sertraline 20mg and went to cbt therapy. Doctor kept upping it as wasn't feeling better to 200mg.

December 2014 felt better started to reduce by 4 tablets to 3 then to 2 then 1 and half. Four five weeks gap between. Stopped at 25mg in April 2015.7 months no meds.

Yes, this has been my experience sometimes. I believe is cortisol dysfunction.  I use acupuncture to help me with the relaxation response...today I felt this way most of the day but i am adjusting to higher dose of Celexa before I go back down again. No light helps...music/ meditation .. eating oatmeal .

I think stress at work and too much activity makes it worse for me....this si something I want to learn more about. There is a little information here in SA.

2006-2007 Lexapro (not sure of dose) in 2006

2007 Stopped abruptly. Developed serious wd symptom.Went back after two weeks and  tapered successfully over 3 months

November 2013  started 10 mg of Celexa for hormonal symptoms

early 2014 cutdown Celexa to 5 mg.Attempted to get off it November 2014 and had  

Anxiety increased  every time I used  an OTC or had stress.

April-May Cortisol spike problems 

July 2016 Started taking liquid Celexa 7.5 mg

June 2021 I finished my taper en

Severe anxiety and insomnia

June 2022 symptoms omproved

July 2023 gut issues and sleep issues contnue

This is my 8th day on 5 mg of Lexapro. Woke up at 4 am, having tingling sensations on my chest and arms and/or legs. Fell a sleep again and woke up two hours later, sweating and trembling.
Believe it's withdrawal....but it's getting harder to just not feel a little bit positve.

All my life: Occasional panic attacks. 2003: Burnout  2004: intrusion (OCD'ish) / anxiety. Therapies: acupuncture, Chinese herbs, hypnotherapy --> symptoms were manageable (did return once in a while), depression lifted.
2007 - Relapse, started with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. Therapist recommended Fevarin (fluvoxamine) 150 mg. Recovery after 3 months and remained stable. Mild side effects.
2009 - Tapered fluvoxamine. No withdrawal symptoms. 2010 - Relapse, same Pure O thought and anxiety.  Started taking 100 mg of fluvoxamine but after 9 weeks no change in symptoms. Did not have any effect on Pure O thought. Switched to Lexapro (escitalopram) 20 mg.  Drug started working within 3 weeks. Mild side effects. Slowly over the years tapered to 5 mg.
2015: Lots of personal issues and setbacks, occasional panic attack. 2016: April started skipping doses; 5mg escitalopram every other day (in hindsight a bad idea)
May: Major relapse, anxiety and intrusion returned. Depression. Increased from 2,5 mg 15 mg in two weeks. Side effects: neuro-emotions
June: Escitalopram has no effect on the frequency of the intrusion...after 4 weeks my general doctor advised me to do a fast taper to 5mg. Withdrawal effects (2/3 weeks): neuro-emotions, lack of focus, crying spells, fatigue, muscle twitches in legs, cortisol spikes just before waking up July: Stable on 5 mg. Depression and intrusion lifted during holiday (lots of sunshine, long walks and relaxing) August: Drop down to 2,5 mg. Withdrawal effects (tinnitus, headagues) are noticeable, but still mild in comparison to the big drop earlier.
22th August: stopped escitalopram completely. Cortisol spikes just before waking up, still OCD (only temporary improvements), WD-depression and WD-neuro emotions.
Update 6 dec: no medication, any withdrawal symptoms not noticable. Taking supplements for intrusive thoughts and overall well being: N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) omega 3 fish oils, zinc, vitamin d, magnesium l-threonate, ginko biloba

Hi everyone...

I have not been on here in a while. I've been just "dealing with", so to speak, trying to work through everything.

I am dealing with some of these exact issues. The rise in cortisol. This panic feeling and anxiety is worse for me in the AM too. Then along comes the obsessive thinking. I definitely do my best in the evening.

My bigger issue, which has big concern, is the rise in cortisol on some days has been giving me headaches. I have recently been having my blood pressure checked and it has been spiking on days like this. This has been a bit scary to me because I don't feel I should go on BP medication. My normal BP at rest is on the low side.
Has anyone had this happen as well? I wanted to check into taking a BP medication on an as needed basis.

I do have migraine disease and am being treated for that, but these headaches are different.

I was on Lexapro 10mg, once a day for about 8 yrs combined with Abilify 2mg, once per day and Klonopin ,25-.50mg up to 4 times a day. Prior to that multiple trials of various SSRIs and low doses of unsuccessful various mood stabilizers in anticonvulsant category with the same dose of Klonopin for a total of over 16 yrs.[/font][/size]Withdrawal from Abilify around Aug. 2015 and slow taper of Lexapro began late Jan. 2016. As of January 2017 I am 11 months full withdrawal from Lexapro and was .25mg of Klonopin at night.(went to .25 klonopin at night only somewhere in October)<p>**Update with my Klonopin taper. I was on .25mg at night and .25mg in AM with varying doses of .125mg during day, maybe once or twice on as needed basis. Starting in early September 2016 reduction of .125mg day dose was decreased to only .25mg AM. Over 2-3 weeks was down to .125mg AM for about 3-4 weeks. As of sometime in October down to only .25mg at night. As of 1/7/17 I am updosed to an additional .25mg at night, for a total of .5mg. As of June 23, 2017 I am on a liquid tapered dose of klonopin. Current dose 4.1ml as of February 21, 2018**

Hi everyone...

I posted this in response to the topic "What's Up With the Morning" topic. I have not seen a response yet so I'm starting a new topic.

I have not been on here in a while. I've been just "dealing with", so to speak, trying to work through everything.

I am dealing with some of these exact issues. The rise in cortisol. This panic feeling and anxiety is worse for me in the AM too. Then along comes the obsessive thinking. I definitely do my best in the evening.

My bigger issue, which has big concern, is the rise in cortisol on some days has been giving me headaches. I have recently been having my blood pressure checked and it has been spiking on days like this. This has been a bit scary to me because I don't feel I should go on BP medication. My normal BP at rest is on the low side.

Has anyone had this happen as well? I wanted to check into taking a BP medication on an as needed basis.

I do have migraine disease and am being treated for that, but these headaches are different.

I was on Lexapro 10mg, once a day for about 8 yrs combined with Abilify 2mg, once per day and Klonopin ,25-.50mg up to 4 times a day. Prior to that multiple trials of various SSRIs and low doses of unsuccessful various mood stabilizers in anticonvulsant category with the same dose of Klonopin for a total of over 16 yrs.[/font][/size]Withdrawal from Abilify around Aug. 2015 and slow taper of Lexapro began late Jan. 2016. As of January 2017 I am 11 months full withdrawal from Lexapro and was .25mg of Klonopin at night.(went to .25 klonopin at night only somewhere in October)<p>**Update with my Klonopin taper. I was on .25mg at night and .25mg in AM with varying doses of .125mg during day, maybe once or twice on as needed basis. Starting in early September 2016 reduction of .125mg day dose was decreased to only .25mg AM. Over 2-3 weeks was down to .125mg AM for about 3-4 weeks. As of sometime in October down to only .25mg at night. As of 1/7/17 I am updosed to an additional .25mg at night, for a total of .5mg. As of June 23, 2017 I am on a liquid tapered dose of klonopin. Current dose 4.1ml as of February 21, 2018**

• 4 weeks later...
For me, it's the fear of not knowing what's going to happen next, and having to be forced to wait for an answer, along with the dread that I am going to be rejected, yet again. I've always had the feeling I'm always too little, too late.

I can really relate to that. I don't like dealing uncertainty. Especially in the work environment. I can be very sensitive to criticism. The feeling that what I do is just not good enough. I have always been very sensitive to rejection. Anxious and super-vigilant to perceived threats, and I don't think that it's related to withdrawal. I suppose that I can be a people pleaser. I find it hard to say no to people. Always polite. Non-confrontational.

But, regarding the topic of the thread, I often feel very anxious on waking up. I might try wearing a night mask. At the moment it gets bright very early in Ireland. It is fully bright by 5am. I am dealing with a lot of anxiety at the moment. I'm not sure if it's a result of my last cut to the Effexor or the fact that work has been quite stressful for the last week.

Previously - zopiclone, risperidone, lyrica (pregabalin), ativan (lorezapam)
01/Aug/2016 -  65mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
12/Aug/2016 -  75mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
03/Oct/2016 -  70mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
29/Oct/2016 -  65mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
25/Nov/2016 -  65mg effexor, 4mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
25/Dec/2016 -  60mg effexor, 3.6mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
18/Jan/2017 -  60mg effexor, 5.25mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
27/Mar/2017 -  54mg effexor, 5.25mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
23/Apr/2017 -  54mg effexor, 7.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
09/May/2017 -  75mg effexor, 7.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
08/Jun/2017 -  75mg effexor, 6.75mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
18/Jul/2017 -  75mg effexor, 6mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
Sometimes valium. Not daily. Supplements - Sterols and Stanols.
Note : I would really hope that nobody uses my tapering history as a guideline. It might not work well for somebody else tapering similar medications.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been taking Valerian Root for 20 years for anxiety. It works great and also helps me sleep when i am having a rough night. I have found it to have no side effects and it relaxes me like a benzo but without withdrawal symptoms or tolerance issues.

Diagnosed in 1991: Started on LIthium at first. Added Haladol to stop psychotic symptoms.Changed meds many times from that time on. I can't remember them all. Some meds I have been on: Lithium, Halodol, Depakote, Seroquel, Tegretol, Trileptal, Abilify, Prozac, Zoloft, Xanax, Adivan, Neurontin, Lamictal, Prolixin Injections. Recently also taken off of Chantix. Was on 1mg Chantix for 4 months. Withdrawn in 5/16.I am currently taking: Invega injection 177mg once a month--can go down to every 3 months; Lamictal 200mg 2X a day; Adivan 2mg; Propanolol 80mg; Rozerem 8mg; Remeron 7.5 mg; Levothyroxin 50mcg, Mobic 15mg<p>

In the last week--as of 8/10/2016 I have been stopped on my Remeron 7.5 mg and started on Zoloft 100mg per day.

I wake with a degree of nervousness that I have not had in many years since tapering.

I have it at times, but had it most of the time in the last few months.

Not that "I've got energy and ready to pop up" feeling either.  More like a "ahhh....I am so uptight I don't want to think" type of thing.

This is not fun.  But not life threatening.

Anybody else been at this point?

Pete

1993 prescribed Anafranil and something else I can't remember for very major severe debilitating depression that his BEFORE any meds of any kind.1993 prescribed 2 mg x 4 daily Ativan for nerves and anxiety as recommended by family and doctor. Didn't always use it.2002? prescribed Zoloft. 2009 prescribed Paxil. Switched to Paxil by first doctor trying to help raging IBS D that had hit.2012 prescribed Pexeva and IBS dissappeared.2013 government mandated use of Paxil for everyone, went back on it. (Unless you have $1,000.00 per month laying around) IBS RETURNED.June 2015 2nd doctor cut 30 mg Paxil to 20 mg Paxil to try to stop new level of deadly IBS that made me unable to eat.October 2015 began accidentally missing several Paxil doses per month.June 2016 reduced

Paxil to 15mg officially to begin to try to taper.

March 2017 Paxil tapered to 10 mg daily. Having trouble going further.

1993 Prescribed 2 mg X 4 per day Ativan as per family and doctor for anxiety and nerves. Quit/tapered Ativan years at a time until divorce 2012.

2017 tapered to 4 mg from 8 mg ativan per day.<p>

This seems to be a very common symptom of withdrawal syndrome. Many people report waking up with a surge of panic or anxiety, or a feeling of anxiety early in the morning. A lot of times, people are waking around 4:30 a.m. or closer to dawn. The first glimmers of morning light signal the nervous system to start the morning cycle with a jump in cortisol. At normal levels, cortisol gives you energy. At elevated levels, cortisol gives you a feeling of unease, anxiety, panic, or depression. When you have withdrawal syndrome, your system is on "high alert" all the time. The normal morning peak of cortisol gets exaggerated and what you would normally feel as "wake up" becomes a surge of panic, anxiety, or dread in the early morning.

I guess they merged my post.

Thanks for the info and reply.  Some mornings I'm ok. Others I'm not. 

Thanks

For me this was one of the worst things and it happened every morning for fist 2 or 3 years and then it stopped. However I have strted getting it again now and it will be 6 years since I stopped the drug next

Hey, do you think it's just nerves?  I mean these drugs don't cause everything .  People actually have problems to begin with.

1993 prescribed Anafranil and something else I can't remember for very major severe debilitating depression that his BEFORE any meds of any kind.1993 prescribed 2 mg x 4 daily Ativan for nerves and anxiety as recommended by family and doctor. Didn't always use it.2002? prescribed Zoloft. 2009 prescribed Paxil. Switched to Paxil by first doctor trying to help raging IBS D that had hit.2012 prescribed Pexeva and IBS dissappeared.2013 government mandated use of Paxil for everyone, went back on it. (Unless you have $1,000.00 per month laying around) IBS RETURNED.June 2015 2nd doctor cut 30 mg Paxil to 20 mg Paxil to try to stop new level of deadly IBS that made me unable to eat.October 2015 began accidentally missing several Paxil doses per month.June 2016 reduced

1993 Prescribed 2 mg X 4 per day Ativan as per family and doctor for anxiety and nerves. Quit/tapered Ativan years at a time until divorce 2012.

Vitamin C in the form of 2 tall glasses of OJ at night before bed. Vitamin C is suppose to reduce cortisol levels and I can tell you it stopped my morning anxiety almost completley. I have stopped taking the OJ for a week or so and the anxiety comes back. There is another thread where others had similiar experiences.

Paxil 10mg 2004-2011

7.5mg 4months

5mg. 4months

2.5mg.8 months no wd issues

Dropped pax 4-10-12

5-9-12 started prozac to alleviate symptoms (no relief)

5-22-12 reinstated paxil 2.5mg

5-28-12 5mg pax (couldn't tolerate sides)

6-22-12 Pax 2.5

6-30-12 Pax O

Cerebrolysin to help with wd at 29 months. Horrible decision much worse.

Still suffering sever Brain fog, Confusion, slow thinking,And just feeling sick and weird (hard to explain),facial twitching, weakness, shaking and jerking

• 3 weeks later...

Vitamin C in the form of 2 tall glasses of OJ at night before bed. Vitamin C is suppose to reduce cortisol levels and I can tell you it stopped my morning anxiety almost completley. I have stopped taking the OJ for a week or so and the anxiety comes back. There is another thread where others had similiar experiences.

This is really interesting. Is the Vitamin C still helping with the morning anxiety? 

I follow what others have posted, I don't feel good in the morning and by the time the late afternoon/eve hits I feel better and better. 

9/2013-4/2014:  After moms death, was prescribed a series of meds for short periods of time that didn't work. Zoloft, Lexapro,  Nortriptyline, Liquid Prozac, Cymbalta. 

1/2014-9/2014. Clonzapam: Given Lamictal, stopped Clonzapam at .125mgs  

1/2015-4 2017 Remeron: 41.25 -0.025mgs

7/2015-11/2018 Lamictal: 200mgs-0.05 mgs Had paradoxical reaction to Lamictal wd, broke my heart to take a benzo but wasn't sleeping. 

3/28/2019 -2/5/ 2021  Clonazapam: 0.625mgs-.00115 Med Free 

July 27th, 2022**Severe Setback due to surgery/ anesthesia. 

9/7/22-10/4/22 Trazadone 50-100mgs for sleep, 10/13/22-11/13/22 Trazadone 1 mg to stabilize

10/4/22-11/20/22 Remeron 7.5mgs (for sleep doesn't work) 11/20/22 7.3 - 12/31/22 6.3 

2023: 1/18/23 6.1 - 6/6/23 3.6  6/16 3.4  6/28 3.0 7/12 2.7  7/28 2.5 8/11 2.2 8/23 2.0  9/5 1.8  9/16 1.6  9/30 1.4  10/13 1.2  10/26 1.0  11/9 0.8  11/22 0.6  12/6 0.4  12/23 0.2.

2024 1/4/24  Remeron/Mirtazapine free 

Additional Support:  Armour Thyroid 75mgs, Magnesium Glycinate 300-500mgs,  L-theanine 

I think I'll try the vitamin C. I've been waking up the last few days with a pounding heart beat, feeling really depressed and worried....

I usually get surges of anxiety around midnight and am up sometimes all night.  I used to have the surges during the daytime as well, but they have diminished.  I take Melatonin at bedtime, but that doesn't seem to help.  I am taking a full spectrum amino acids , calcium/magnesium supplements, multi-vitamin , potassium, Omega 3's.  Nothing seems to prevent the anxiety, so I just deal with it when it comes by deep breathing and keep busy during the night when I can't sleep due to the anxiety.  It does go away, then I sleep.  For some reason, I slept all night and part of the morning one night.  Go figure?  My body has always done things differently than the usual. 

July Medications: Started taking antidepressants in 1981, also benzos off and on; antiphychotics , anti-seizure for years.   Trazodone, Lamotrigine, Klonopin for over 10 years   all at maximum dosages,:Disconcontinued Klonopin in month of February 2011,  discontinued Trazodone and Lamotrigine   in month of March 2011 while in hosptial.  Given Seroquel to "help" go off Klonopin  gradually increased to 600 mg ; doctor took me off 600 mg. Seroquel in two weeks, and switched to Resperidal  because of weight gain on Seroquel, went off Resperidal quickly,   then gradually reinstated  Seroquel to 600 mg. at my request.   Went off Seroquel by myself at 25mg. per month in 2014.     Last medication Seroquel completely off since May 2016. Also went off Morphine at the same time as last 25 mg. of Seroquel in May 2016. Started tapering Celexa 40mg. to 35mg.  on 11 Aug. 2016  ; 16 Oct. Celexa 32.5 mg.; 6 Nov. 2016:  30mg. , 50 mg abt. Feb 26 with occasional 30mg.  , : May 10, 2017 began tapering rapidly because of adverse reaction to Celexa;, 40 mg. Celexa;   May 24, 2017: 35mg Celexa.;  June 8, 2017, 30 mg. Celexa, June 22, 2017 25mg.Celexa,; July 6,2017 20mg. CELEXA, July 20: 15mg.; August 10: Sep 29 2017: 10mg. Celexa + 10mg. Prozac, 5 Oct, 2017:  5mg. Celexa + 10mg. Prozac.; Oct. 14 Celexa 0., Prozac 10mg.Took last Prozac on November 22, 2017, Jan. 31 30mg. Cymbalta........ May Cymbalta 90mg.

Supplements Cal/Mag , Potassium, , Multi Vitamin.  digestive aid, antioxidant

Medications presently taking:    Lyrica 150mg. 2x day  , Synthroid 175mcg, Nasonex 2 sprays each nostril, once a day ,     Tylenol  1,000 mg. 2x day., , Restasis eye drops 2x day,  Trazodone 100 mg, Cymbalta 90 mg. Arthrotec 50 mg., Plavix

I've tried magnesium, melatonin, with no success.. Thinking of trying either taurine or lactium to help increase length of sleep time. Any recommendations on which one to try first?

May 12th 2016 took last bead of effexor. 8 month taper.  Bridge = prozac 5mg, 300mg Lithium

May 31st took last of prozac. Lithium 300 mg, estrogen patch 150, magnesium.

June 14th reinstated 1mg Prozac due to intolerable emotional distress. Cont with lithium 300mg, 150 magnesium, re added omega 3, cont estrogen patch. June 15-july 5th had marked improvement of emotional wd symptoms, likely due to the reinstatement. July 5th intense emotional symptoms returned.

July 15 decreased 50 mg of lithium to see if it improved low heart rate.

July 19th - increased prozac to 1.5mg.

July 22 marked improvement of emotional symptoms...again, likely due to increase of prozac. However sudden agitation developed so decreased back down to 1.25mg prozac. Realizing increasing dose is dangerous because of these adverse effects and also seeing that wave is inevitable regardless of reinstatement.

Continuing 250 lithium, 1.25mg prozac, estrogen.

Oct 31st - continued 250 lithium, 1 mg prozac, estrogen patch.

Jan 2018  - off of prozac (bridge) as of Dec 2017.  Starting to taper Lithium 250 mg.  Will do 10% per month. 

May 2018 - lithium 115mg.  Still having waves but they aren’t as bad.  However, I really struggle with emotional symptoms about 1 week after a cut. 

dec 2018- 80mg lithium.  Tapering 1 mg per week since last June.  Symptoms improving overall but still very sensitive to light, sound, social stimulation and I cry a lot.

March 2019 - 65 mg lithium.  Still tapering 1mg per week.  Jan 2021- down to 4 mg lithium (get it compounded). Reinstated 5 mg Prozac. Jan 2023- withdraw 5mg prozac over one month Feb 20th 2023- reinstated 1mg Prozac. Still taking 4 mg lithium. 

I wake up at 2-3 am with high anxiety--crying, feeling anxious, unable to sleep. I take an adivan just so i can settle down and go back to sleep.

Diagnosed in 1991: Started on LIthium at first. Added Haladol to stop psychotic symptoms.Changed meds many times from that time on. I can't remember them all. Some meds I have been on: Lithium, Halodol, Depakote, Seroquel, Tegretol, Trileptal, Abilify, Prozac, Zoloft, Xanax, Adivan, Neurontin, Lamictal, Prolixin Injections. Recently also taken off of Chantix. Was on 1mg Chantix for 4 months. Withdrawn in 5/16.I am currently taking: Invega injection 177mg once a month--can go down to every 3 months; Lamictal 200mg 2X a day; Adivan 2mg; Propanolol 80mg; Rozerem 8mg; Remeron 7.5 mg; Levothyroxin 50mcg, Mobic 15mg<p>

In the last week--as of 8/10/2016 I have been stopped on my Remeron 7.5 mg and started on Zoloft 100mg per day.

Hi Fj929, I bought a tube of those tablets which can be dissolved in water. Just vitamin C 1000 mg with some additives like aspartame. Drank it before bedtime. Normally I'm not a fan of these, but it seemed like the anxious feeling was a lot less this morning. I slept peacefully till 7 am, woke up and instead of the racing heartbeat I was just a little uneasy.

I will try it again tonight :-)

I have been trying the Vitamin C.  Taking 4 divided doses of 500mgs during the day. 

I have not been waking up with morning anxiety but I don't if it's because I finally stabilized after my most recent medication cut or it's the C.  I still am sweating during the night and in the morning but my mood has not dropped.   On a gut level, I think the C is helping and I will see what happens with it around my next cut.

9/2013-4/2014:  After moms death, was prescribed a series of meds for short periods of time that didn't work. Zoloft, Lexapro,  Nortriptyline, Liquid Prozac, Cymbalta. 

1/2014-9/2014. Clonzapam: Given Lamictal, stopped Clonzapam at .125mgs  

1/2015-4 2017 Remeron: 41.25 -0.025mgs

7/2015-11/2018 Lamictal: 200mgs-0.05 mgs Had paradoxical reaction to Lamictal wd, broke my heart to take a benzo but wasn't sleeping. 

3/28/2019 -2/5/ 2021  Clonazapam: 0.625mgs-.00115 Med Free 

July 27th, 2022**Severe Setback due to surgery/ anesthesia. 

9/7/22-10/4/22 Trazadone 50-100mgs for sleep, 10/13/22-11/13/22 Trazadone 1 mg to stabilize

10/4/22-11/20/22 Remeron 7.5mgs (for sleep doesn't work) 11/20/22 7.3 - 12/31/22 6.3 

2023: 1/18/23 6.1 - 6/6/23 3.6  6/16 3.4  6/28 3.0 7/12 2.7  7/28 2.5 8/11 2.2 8/23 2.0  9/5 1.8  9/16 1.6  9/30 1.4  10/13 1.2  10/26 1.0  11/9 0.8  11/22 0.6  12/6 0.4  12/23 0.2.

2024 1/4/24  Remeron/Mirtazapine free 

Additional Support:  Armour Thyroid 75mgs, Magnesium Glycinate 300-500mgs,  L-theanine 

• 2 weeks later...

This seems to be a very common symptom of withdrawal syndrome. Many people report waking up with a surge of panic or anxiety, or a feeling of anxiety early in the morning. A lot of times, people are waking around 4:30 a.m. or closer to dawn. The first glimmers of morning light signal the nervous system to start the morning cycle with a jump in cortisol. At normal levels, cortisol gives you energy. At elevated levels, cortisol gives you a feeling of unease, anxiety, panic, or depression. When you have withdrawal syndrome, your system is on "high alert" all the time. The normal morning peak of cortisol gets exaggerated and what you would normally feel as "wake up" becomes a surge of panic, anxiety, or dread in the early morning.

Idk how to tag everyone in this thread but am going to read through it, so much here and see if I have anything useful to add.  AND reset or change the fact that I am not getting any notifications through email.

The Vitamin C is still working for me. Mad a huge difference for me with anxiety and depression as well.

Paxil 10mg 2004-2011

7.5mg 4months

5mg. 4months

2.5mg.8 months no wd issues

Dropped pax 4-10-12

5-9-12 started prozac to alleviate symptoms (no relief)

5-22-12 reinstated paxil 2.5mg

5-28-12 5mg pax (couldn't tolerate sides)

6-22-12 Pax 2.5

6-30-12 Pax O

Cerebrolysin to help with wd at 29 months. Horrible decision much worse.

Still suffering sever Brain fog, Confusion, slow thinking,And just feeling sick and weird (hard to explain),facial twitching, weakness, shaking and jerking

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy