If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Waking with panic or anxiety -- managing cortisol spikes

circadian rhythm cortisol morning anxiety

• Please log in to reply
495 replies to this topic

#397 redangel

redangel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Locationarizona

Posted 12 November 2015 - 11:15 AM

Ive heard a lot of people are taking niacin to help with sleep.  If I already have good levels of b vitamins with that  hurt me to take it?

Started on ad's in the mid 90's.  

Amitriptyline , prozac , Wellbutrin, 'zoloft, effexor, trazodone,   remeron, Paxil, cymbalta 

xanax, buspar, lyrica, gabapentin, sam e, 5htp, L tryptophan, There were other ad's but I cant remember them all. 

Ambien, lunesta, cyclobenzaprine,

levothyroxine

Last ad was  Paxil, 60 mg.  I did a 6mt tapor, 

Only meds at this time is the levothyroxine, fish oil, folic acid, and unisom 

#398 Petunia

Petunia

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationAU

Posted 13 November 2015 - 06:08 PM

Here is our niacin topic redangel:  Vitamin B3 (niacin, niacinamide) - Surviving Antidepressants

Please read through it to learn about how this vitamin has effected others who are recovering from withdrawal. If you decide to try it, please add your results there.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety)

Xanax PRN

Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes animal25.gif

Supplements which seem to help:  High doses of Vitamin C, Magnesium, Garlic and Ginger.  Taurine, Vit D3, L-Theanine and Inositol. I'm one of the rare people who react badly to fish oil.

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

#399 Mort81

Mort81

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 November 2015 - 12:05 AM

I had this go away for a while but now its been back. I wake up with enormous amounts of fear

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th Clonazapam. Currently 0.10mg daily. PPI Dexlant 20-30mg for last 29 months currently at 30mg

#400 RockSie

RockSie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:47 PM

Me the same. Today I woke up with horrible feelings inside my stomach... Fear, distressed, nausea, restlessness, unable to stay laying.
Have to work in a few hours and go for a shower.. That makes me feel so bad.

#401 Rockingchaircat

Rockingchaircat

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationEugene Oregon

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:26 AM

Here is our niacin topic redangel:  Vitamin B3 (niacin, niacinamide) - Surviving Antidepressants

Please read through it to learn about how this vitamin has effected others who are recovering from withdrawal. If you decide to try it, please add your results there.

My results:

Niaspan (which I've been getting through the VA, though I may get it OTC now), Niacin. 

It does seem to help, somewhat.

My blood pressure has been spiking the last few weeks.  The Niaspan, helps in that it helps my blood vessels dilate- ergo- a lower blood pressure.  Since I've been waking up in the middle of the night in a semi-night terror kind of episodic of late, has helped drop down the BP spikes. 

I'd stopped taking it for a while- due to my intense distrust of just about anything prescribed to me by the Medicos. It seems to help now. So- I will take it more often.

1)Zoloft- 6/99 to 8/04 2)Escitalopram- 8/04 to 8/10 3)Citalopram 8/10 to 4/14 (C/T), 4)Paxil a week or so, 5)Wellbutrin a week or so, 6)Reinstated Citalopram- 9/14 to 7/15

Before Taper- Celexa/20 mg....Taper Start- 04/21/15- 15mg....05/26/15- 10 mg...06/22/15- 5 mg...07/18/15- 0mg. http://tinyurl.com/qjfoqe9 Ativan/Lorazepam use/taper 10/14 to 2/15- http://tinyurl.com/ljebp84

Baclofen- Intermittent use of from 2008 till 2014. Some use of Promethazine. Some use of Zofran. Clobetasol Propionate- for Lichen Planus. Some Flexeril use. 

Ativan- GABA,A receptor Agonist., Baclofen- GABA,B receptor Agonist., Celexa/Lexapro- Serotonin 5-HT1A Receptor Agonist., Zofran- Serotonin 5-HT3 Receptor Agonist..Promethazine- Histamine H1-Receptor Antagonist. Flexeril- Serotonin 5HT2a Antagonist.

My self imposed Amino Acid Therapy: Tyrosine 500mg 1xday, Theanine 200 mg 1xday, & Taurine 500 mg 2x day. (All neurotransitter pre-cursors)- seems to have helped me immensely. And of course- eating healthy, including Black Beans for the oligosaccharides for gut health.

The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of trick learned while mastering the Art of Living. - Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning.

#402 MostlyWater

MostlyWater

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, California

Posted 19 December 2015 - 10:16 PM

Been off 2.5 years following a rapid taper (1 month). This is one of the few symptoms I still have to deal with every day. Mornings have always been by far the worst part of the day since the beginning. The brain goes through a number different phases during sleep, many parts go offline, others are amped up. So it's understandable that a nervous system undergoing psychiatric withdrawal would be thrown so out of tune during the sleeping process. 

The feeling I get really isn't anxiety/fear, it's more analogous to depression and despair for me. Hopelessness. A kind of hangover. I'm just in a kind of malaise until I can force myself in the shower and then I'm for the most part fine. I think it's the stimulation caused by the hot water that gets my brain back to normal. Some days are certainly more severe than others. And there are a few days a month where I wake up completely normally. But by far most days this occurs and it's a terrible experience.  

Paxil from 2005 to July 2013. 30mg. 

Very short taper. 

#403 Christian

Christian

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 03 January 2016 - 05:30 AM

Has anyone heard of Ashwaganda to help lower cortisol?

Lexapro: started in 2002 at 10 mgs.

Ambien: started as a as needed sleep aid in 2010. 

Quit Lexapro cold turkey in June 20015 due to contributing to low sodium issues.

Restarted Lexapro in late November for a week (only 5 mgs) but quit due to dizziness side effects. Side effects worsened for 3 weeks until 

12/24/15: Protracted WD hit, experienced extreme anxiety, insomnia lack of full concentration and social challenges.

Reinstated Lexapro on 1/1/16 at 5 mgs. Increased per Dr to 7.5 MG. Tapered off Lexapro in March 2016.   

Started 50MG of Seroquel in late January 2016 for bedtime to help in eliminate Ambien. Tapered off both Seroquel and Ambien in March 2016.  

2/14/16: Prescribed both Remeron (15 MG) and Temazapam (15 MG) for sleep. Also use Klonopin and Ambien again in place of Temazapam to avoid addiction. However I did take Temazapam 60 straight days

6/15/16: Stopped use of all benzo's and now use Belsomra 1-2 times a week. Still on 15 MG of Remeron    

10/11/16: Off all psych medications

After kindling, trying to regain my strength suffering from severe mental and physical fatigue. 

#404 westcoast

westcoast

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:33 PM

Intriguing. I searched the web for "i was taking ashwaganda" to get some user reports.  Here's someone who says it makes her sleepy. She wrote to a manufacturer and posted their reply.

http://vataveda.blog...dha-update.html

A long thread about getting off opiates from reddit

https://www.reddit.c...rawal_protocol/

(One person had their cortisol tested on and off ashwaganda and found no difference, but that's not something to rely on)

I turned the corner after introducing coconut oil and grass-fed butter to my morning cup of coffee.  I did it hoping to help my memory and thinking, but the morning dread/terror/doom/despair went away as did brutal non-somnia.

2009: Cancer hospital said I had adjustment disorder because I thought they were doing it wrong. Their headshrinker prescribed Effexor, and my life set on a new course. I didn't know what was ahead, like a passenger on Disneyland's Matterhorn, smiling and waving as it climbs...clink, clink, clink.

2010: Post surgical accidental Effexor discontinuation by nurses, masked by intravenous Dilaudid. (The car is balanced at the top of the track.) I get home, pop a Vicodin, and ...

Whooosh...down, down, down, down, down...goes the trajectory of my life, up goes my mood and tendency to think everything is a good idea.
2012: After the bipolar jig was up, now a walking bag of unrelated symptoms, I went crazy on Daytrana (the Ritalin skin patch by Noven), because ADHD was a perfect fit for a bag of unrelated symptoms. I was prescribed Effexor for the nervousness of it, and things got neurological. An EEG showed enough activity to warrant an epilepsy diagnosis rather than non-epileptic ("psychogenic") seizures.

:o 2013-2014: Quit everything and got worse. I probably went through DAWS: dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I drank to not feel, but I felt a lot: dread, fear, regret, grief: an utter sense of total loss of everything worth breathing about, for almost two years.

I was not suicidal but I wanted to be dead, at least dead to the experience of my own brain and body.

2015: I  began to recover after adding virgin coconut oil and organic grass-fed fed butter to a cup of instant coffee in the morning.

I did it hoping for mental acuity and better memory. After ten days of that, I was much better, mood-wise. Approximately neutral.

And, I experienced drowsiness. I could sleep. Not exactly happy, I did 30 days on Wellbutrin, because it had done me no harm in the past. 

I don't have the DAWS mood or state of mind. It never feel like doing anything if it means standing up.

In fact, I don't especially like moving. I'm a brain with a beanbag body.   :unsure:

#405 UselessSpork

UselessSpork

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationSurrey, British Columbia, Canada

Posted 26 January 2016 - 01:48 PM

I find my sleep is usually fine and waking up im usually ok, the anxiety or depression usually doesn't start until at minimum 1 hour after waking up, sometimes upto even 3 or more hours, or not at all. could my anxiety not really be cortisol related?

(November 26 2013) Had a reaction to taking CBD oil and had a panic attack that started this whole thing.

(November 9 2014) 8.6 months on Mirtazapine, started tapering down random amounts.

(January 17 2015) *STOPPED TAKING MIRTAZAPINE* after an unstable 2 month taper.

(February 5 2015) *REINSTATED at 3.9 MG OF MIRTAZAPINE* after nearly 3 weeks of a very unstable windows and waves pattern

(February 5 2015 ) Felt better right away after reinstating, am more stable than i was at 0mg, but am still not as stable as i was PRE-TAPER.

(April 19 2015) After waiting around 2 months from Feb 5 and i started to feel ok enough, i reduced from 3.9 mg to 3.5 mg. then continued to reduce by about .4 mg every 2 or so weeks.

The reductions were going quite smoothly and i wasn't feeling too bad in general... until...

(July 13 2015) Shortly after reducing from 1.9 mg to 1.6 mg i hit a wall and my mood started to become noticeably worse in general

(August 4) after not really improving much i reduced from 1.6 mg to 1.5 mg, and i have been holding ever since.

I feel bad in general these days despite holding, and feel im not too much better than i was during January 17 to February 5 after jumping off at 4 MG.

I am questioning if taking the drug is actually making me worse, i dunno.

#406 Trichotomous

Trichotomous

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 31 January 2016 - 05:46 AM

Insomnia is the single worst symptom I've enjoyed since quitting paroxetine. Insomnia exacerbates everything else I am going through.

I'd be lucky to make it to 4:30. I usually awake in a panic 3-4 hours after laying down, whenever I lay down. I then spend the rest of the night tossing and turning. Part of me wants to get up and start the day; the other part is just so damn tired and wants to go back to sleep.

I am not afraid of getting out of bed.

I wake up thinking about work. Always thinking about work. I run conversations through my head, over and over, pulling meanings out and trying to assemble a narrative to make sense of the things happening to me during the day. It always boils down to me worrying about how much trouble I am in, how my career is ruined, and how I'm going to lose everything. And, no, it's not all in my head—these are all fears based on a very real and unpleasant workplace I should have left years ago. My anxiety is making a bad situation worse, not inventing problems from nothing.

I almost never have any trouble falling asleep initially. I'm often asleep within minutes of laying down.

Regular, hard exercise really helps the insomnia. So does summers off, for that matter! But exercise is a genuine balm; problem being that I'm often so tired I can't bring myself to exercise. I can hardly get through my day most times.

Regular melatonin can help me sleep slightly longer. Time-released melatonin does nothing; rather, I think it only makes it harder for me to sleep. It lighten my skin. Because I'm an amphibian. Which isn't true. Doxylamine Succinate does nothing for me, but perhaps make the insomnia worse. I believe Diphenhydramine works better; it has put me out for eight or more hours at a time. But that is linked with dementia. So there's that.

My room has blackout curtains and a noise maker. And a fan. In fact, I also had a ceiling fan on last night. Speaking of which, I often awake feeling like I'm roasting alive. When I should be comfortable, I'm burning up. It's usually best to sleep without sheets reflecting body heat back on me.

DHEA has been the best thing I've taken in so far as reducing my generalized anxiety while awake. I don't know that it does anything for me at night; I don't notice it stopping or reducing my late night panic episodes.

I've taken magnesium right before bed; I calmed down for an hour or two, then felt like I was high on a gallon of coffee the rest of the night. I take almost every other supplement most commonly mentioned around here. I could write a book about how they make me feel, but I'll just say that none of it really seems to help me sleep. Not at this time in my life.

So, it always comes back to regular exercise and getting past this seemingly perpetual exhaustion long enough to form a healthy pattern of self-care.

Began in 1998 at 20mg/day. Dropped from 20 to 10mg/day around 2006. Dropped from 10 to 5mg/day in June of 2014. Dropped from 5 to 0mg/day in June of 2015. Rough times, indeed.

#407 Trichotomous

Trichotomous

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:07 AM

While Doxylamine Succinate seems to do nothing to help me sleep, Diphenhydramine clearly does help quite a bit. This is unfortunate, as it is the class of medicines linked to an increased risk of dementia. So there's that.

Wanted to add as I bought some to compare and can decisively say they do not work the same way on me.

Began in 1998 at 20mg/day. Dropped from 20 to 10mg/day around 2006. Dropped from 10 to 5mg/day in June of 2014. Dropped from 5 to 0mg/day in June of 2015. Rough times, indeed.

#408 Rockingchaircat

Rockingchaircat

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationEugene Oregon

Posted 21 February 2016 - 04:07 PM

Acetylsalicyclic Acid. A.K.A.- Aspirin. It's still preliminary for me- but taking a 325 mg tablet a couple of hours before going to bed seems to eliminate the Panic Attacks during the night.  I've only done it a couple of nights. But- those have been a pair of nights free from panic attacks.

Apparently there have been some studies showing that Aspirin mucks about with Cortisol when taken in the evening.

http://hyper.ahajour.../54/5/1136.full

Just a thought folks.

1)Zoloft- 6/99 to 8/04 2)Escitalopram- 8/04 to 8/10 3)Citalopram 8/10 to 4/14 (C/T), 4)Paxil a week or so, 5)Wellbutrin a week or so, 6)Reinstated Citalopram- 9/14 to 7/15

Before Taper- Celexa/20 mg....Taper Start- 04/21/15- 15mg....05/26/15- 10 mg...06/22/15- 5 mg...07/18/15- 0mg. http://tinyurl.com/qjfoqe9 Ativan/Lorazepam use/taper 10/14 to 2/15- http://tinyurl.com/ljebp84

Baclofen- Intermittent use of from 2008 till 2014. Some use of Promethazine. Some use of Zofran. Clobetasol Propionate- for Lichen Planus. Some Flexeril use. 

Ativan- GABA,A receptor Agonist., Baclofen- GABA,B receptor Agonist., Celexa/Lexapro- Serotonin 5-HT1A Receptor Agonist., Zofran- Serotonin 5-HT3 Receptor Agonist..Promethazine- Histamine H1-Receptor Antagonist. Flexeril- Serotonin 5HT2a Antagonist.

My self imposed Amino Acid Therapy: Tyrosine 500mg 1xday, Theanine 200 mg 1xday, & Taurine 500 mg 2x day. (All neurotransitter pre-cursors)- seems to have helped me immensely. And of course- eating healthy, including Black Beans for the oligosaccharides for gut health.

The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of trick learned while mastering the Art of Living. - Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning.

#409 Rockingchaircat

Rockingchaircat

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationEugene Oregon

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:43 PM

At the moment  I'm taking NOW brand C-1000 with Rose Hips and Bioflavonoids from iHerb

But I've ordered some other brands of sustained release, because these only seem to work for about 2 hours at a time, for me anyway.

I am curious Petunia, how is the Vitamin C working out for you at this time?

The aspirin I'm taking does seem to be working, but I am beginning to think I"m taking too high a dose. (Last night- 650 mg).

#410 Petunia

Petunia

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationAU

Posted 23 February 2016 - 04:03 PM

I'm still taking between 1000 - 2000mg of sustained release per day. I was taking a lot more. At first I thought the higher dose was helping, but not significantly. I've tried lots of different supplements over the last several years and what usually happens is I either get an obvious bad reaction or it seems to help in some way, but then that improvement stops working and I go back to how I was before, this is what happened with the vit C.

I've realized that for me, the only thing which has really contributed in any significant way to recovery and the reduction of symptoms is time...and I've spent a lot of money on supplements finding this out the hard way, but we all get so desperate for some relief. When its bad, I guess we will try anything. But having said that, I think magnesium can be useful if you find one, and a dose which agrees with you and you take it at the right time, I still take 200mg of mag glycinate at night and it seems to be calming and improves sleep quality slightly. I also took taurine at night for a long time, that had a slight effect of reducing racing thoughts and also seemed to improve sleep quality, but I don't need that any more. When I stopped taking it, there was a slight rebound effect for a few nights.

Nothing has helped with morning cortisol, as far as I can tell, its reduced by itself over time, I still feel worse in the mornings and improve as the day progresses, but I'm much better than I was 2 - 3 years ago.

If I'm not in a wave, my morning awakenings and subsequent levels of symptoms are about 75% recovered. But in waves I go right back down to about 40% and I'm still very vulnerable to any stress.

Its interesting that you mention aspirin. Whenever I've taken it for pain, I've noticed a reduction of anxiety and other symptoms in general, but I don't take it very often, the ones I have are 300mg.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety)

Xanax PRN

Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes animal25.gif

Supplements which seem to help:  High doses of Vitamin C, Magnesium, Garlic and Ginger.  Taurine, Vit D3, L-Theanine and Inositol. I'm one of the rare people who react badly to fish oil.

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

#411 grandmaD

grandmaD

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • LocationNew South Wales, Australia

Posted 23 February 2016 - 10:42 PM

What an interesting topic!  I have been trying to read it all the way through, but it is too much! 

For years now, it has taken me 2+ hours to fall asleep, sometimes 3 and then I woke every 2 hours and would take 30mins+ to get back to sleep (because I had to do relaxation/breathing exercises to get back to sleep).  lately I have been waking after 1 or 1.5 hours.  Many times at the 2-4am time I will be awake from 1-4 hours.

Any way, I think what you have said Petunia probably sums up the whole thing - it is just a matter of time.... but at the same time we do get desperate, fed up and impatient and want to try anything.  Besides, it has been years now!  I felt like racing off and taking all the things mentioned in this thread that I already had in the house in one go, but i saw the advice about not doing that!

I did get desperate recently and have Serapax, which I know is not a good idea.  I took 1/4 tablet 3 nights in a row and it helped me get to sleep within the hour and although I still woke every 2 hours I got back to sleep quickly.  The 2nd week I did the same but anxiety was very high and 1/4 did nothing so I took 1/2.  3rd week the 1/4 didn't seem as effective.  Is 1/4 for 3 nights once a week too much?

I have tried magnesium in the past about half a dozen times and it seemed to upset my guts which is crook anyway from gall problems to start with then surgery and only just recovering from that after 7 months, so I might give it another try.  I will start with 1/4 tablet which i usually dissolve in lemon juice first, then put in 1L water and sip throughout the day.

I have always taken vit. c 1/4 four times a day.  I took extra at bedtime last night and when I woke up, but it didn't make any difference.  Do you need to do it for months on end to work?

In the past, I was sure that lemon balm helped and since my anxiety has ramped up recently, I have been having that again, but this time to no effect.  My pulse has been very high for some time now (in the 100's) which is unusual as it used to occur maybe 3 times a week in the 100's and the rest of the time n the 90's.  Do others here have high pulse?

1995                20mg Aropax/Paxil for pain.  2000-2004 - Years of tapering and up-dosing (fast) (resultant suffering)

2004-2007       Daily 20mg

2008                Switching to Endep, Lexapro and then Esipram (hell!)

2009                20mg Aropax.  Tried skipping doses for a year (more hell!)

2010                10mg.  10% taper.  Lasted 4 months. Crashed again

2011                5% taper. 9mg-7mg (hell got even worse!)

2012                2.5% taper.  6.6mg – 5.6mg (worser still & unbearable)

2013                5% taper.  Big mistake.  5.5mg – 4.6mg  (even worserer)

2014                2.5% taper.  4.9mg – 4.5mg (worst year ever for w/d by far, plus gall surgery-developed arrythmia

2015                2.5% taper.  4.4mg - 4.0mg (gall surgery/anaesthetic continued to make things even worse)

2016                2.5% taper.  3.9mg  Feb 3.8   Mar 3.7  May 3.6   Jul 3.5 (finally imp. from gall surgery)

2017                2.5% taper.  Jan 3.4

#412 Rockingchaircat

Rockingchaircat

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationEugene Oregon

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:22 AM

I knocked my aspirin down to a single 80mg (Baby Aspirin) tab. It still seems to have the same affect (for now). Just not as much fatigue the next day with the higher dosage I was trying. I took the 80mg as I was going to bed.   

I shall see what happens over the long time. Right now I've got a reoccurence of skin burn but I've been having that for some time anyways. The SX come and go.   And I shall report about what happens.

#413 Rockingchaircat

Rockingchaircat

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationEugene Oregon

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:45 AM

The aspirin is keeping the cortisol down, but not eliminating it. But it feels like the cortisol is fighting back. Night before last I wake up at 1 in the morning and stare at the ceiling for hours. Last night I wake up at 11:30 with a pounding heart....I take another aspirion at 12 and I get some more sleep until 1 in the morning and then stare at the celing...

I take the aspirin and most of the anxiety goes away, but I'm tired, dog tired all of the time. With anxiety I have a super appetite, without it- nothing. I have to force myself to eat. I find myself looking back to even just a few days ago when I'd wake up with cortisol attacks in the middle of the night and manage to suppress them within a short while in an attempt to get more sleep (and failing).

I don't know how much longer I can go on with this. Endless torture.

#414 Rockingchaircat

Rockingchaircat

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationEugene Oregon

Posted 02 March 2016 - 10:29 AM

More info on aspirin.

Treatment for one week with aspirin or salsalate decreased total T4, free T4 (salsalate only), total T3, free T3, and TSH.

Thus, this study confirms that aspirin, salsalate, and meclofenamate affect total and free thyroid hormone measurements.

http://thyroid.about...our-thyroid.htm

In other words- my aspirin therapy to reduce cortisol worked in reducing cortisol, it also resulted in reducing all of my thyroid hormones as well. Scylla or Charybdis.

I know I have to keep going AliG, but I'm also working full time. Many are the times I think of Death as the great release. 

#415 AliG

AliG

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 3,196 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:19 AM

I understand. Believe me. Just trying to stay positive.

Many SSRI's &SSNRI's over 20 years . Zoloft - 7 years .  Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and many more - on and off . No tapering. Cold turkey -  Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Drug free since May, 2014
             "Find a place inside where there's joy and the joy will burn out the pain" - Joseph Campbell

#416 Rockingchaircat

Rockingchaircat

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationEugene Oregon

Posted 04 March 2016 - 01:44 PM

Thanks AliG. Someone has to stay positive. Cause all we get at times is a whole bunch of negative.  It's like we're asking for too much- a decent night's sleep, some semblance of normality, anything.

I was doing a baby aspirin every 8 hours. It worked in getting rid of the cortisol spikes but it also seemed to depress my thyroid too. Wednesday I went home, and my body temperature was 95 degrees F. I just couldn't get cold. That night I tried a melatonin, and got some sleep, but then most of the next day I'm dragging and I get the nasty fatigue day.

One cant win without losing more.

I will keep going, after all, what choice do I have. Someday this will all be gone. 

#417 btdt

btdt

Fingers of titanium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,084 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 March 2016 - 10:04 AM

One cant win without losing more.

Sure seems true to me. 

I took advil the lowest dose you can buy and it had to be brand name one every morning for morning roughness... severe brain fog.  I felt so bad in morning I ignored the fact that I was not to take any nsai as I have had a gastro bleed in the past....but I did it for months as I could not stand the mornings... 

I tried baby asprin too for some reason it caused one side of my head to buzz it felt like it was full of pop fizzing. As such I went the advil route as it did not cause the same issues.

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivinganti...ng-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

#418 Rockingchaircat

Rockingchaircat

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationEugene Oregon

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:00 AM

I tried the Taurine again after rereading Lexhex's thread.  I got the expected allergic reaction the first time around. But instead of taking it before bedtime- I took it in the morning. I spent the rest of the day and well into the night much less anxious. 

Now it's only been one night/day, but it does seem to be helping. One time occurrence or long lasting- remains to be seen.

#419 Rockingchaircat

Rockingchaircat

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationEugene Oregon

Posted 29 April 2016 - 05:17 AM

My Cortisol Spikes are much improved. In fact I've added some other Amino Acids- and last night- I had NO cortisol spikes.

#420 rxhell2016

rxhell2016

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 April 2016 - 11:09 AM

My Cortisol Spikes are much improved. In fact I've added some other Amino Acids- and last night- I had NO cortisol spikes.

Please tell us what specific amino acids are helping you. I know taurine is a GABA agonist.

Propanolol (rx'd for moderate hypertension) - 120-160 mg/day 01-14 to 08-14; side effects intolerable; rapid tapered per doc; started suffering from PAWS (but didn't know it)

Clonazepam - 1.0mg/day (0.5mg bid) 10-14 to 08-15; commenced stepwise slow dry cut taper 8-15; @ 0.49mg (0.245mg bid) as of 08-07-16.

#421 Rockingchaircat

Rockingchaircat

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationEugene Oregon

Posted 29 May 2016 - 01:34 PM

Please tell us what specific amino acids are helping you. I know taurine is a GABA agonist.

I've read reports that Taurine acts as a GABA agonist, but it's also the most plentiful amino acid in the human brain: http://www.news.corn...-activity-brain

I've reports that it increases Dopamine, Serotonin, Testosterone, etc. I've read that it cuts down on Glutamate. And a report that it turns into GABA.  Unlike the Antidepressant Crap we've been swallowing.

It also appears that Taurine is responsible for increased nerve growth in the Amygdala.  The report that said that didn't mention other parts of the brain. But then they weren't studying anything other than the Amygdala.

The Amino Acids I've been taking: Taurine (2x a day with Magnesium) Once before bed, once upon awakening.  Tyrosine (1x day- 500 mg) an hour after breakfast. Theanine (1x 200mg) an hour after the Tyrosine. One banana an hour after the Theanine. (Which apparently converts a good portion to Tyrosine- and ultimately Dopamine).

The longer I take the regimen- well the Cortisol Spikes seem to come and go. A midnight snack helps with that nasty 2:30 in the morning for now. (slice of bread, olive oil spritzed, and a single slice of meat, bread folded over) A bite or two does me good.

But- I'm in my third window in a month.  Probably nothing more than a coincidence.

#422 Rockingchaircat

Rockingchaircat

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationEugene Oregon

Posted 29 May 2016 - 01:36 PM

Can anyone recommend how to lower evening and before bed cortisol spikes?

Have you cut down your sugar intake?  Eliminating just about all of mine seems to help immensely for me.

#423 csm2014

csm2014

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 29 May 2016 - 03:37 PM

I've read reports that Taurine acts as a GABA agonist, but it's also the most plentiful amino acid in the human brain: http://www.news.corn...-activity-brain

I've reports that it increases Dopamine, Serotonin, Testosterone, etc. I've read that it cuts down on Glutamate. And a report that it turns into GABA.  Unlike the Antidepressant Crap we've been swallowing.

It also appears that Taurine is responsible for increased nerve growth in the Amygdala.  The report that said that didn't mention other parts of the brain. But then they weren't studying anything other than the Amygdala.

The Amino Acids I've been taking: Taurine (2x a day with Magnesium) Once before bed, once upon awakening.  Tyrosine (1x day- 500 mg) an hour after breakfast. Theanine (1x 200mg) an hour after the Tyrosine. One banana an hour after the Theanine. (Which apparently converts a good portion to Tyrosine- and ultimately Dopamine).

The longer I take the regimen- well the Cortisol Spikes seem to come and go. A midnight snack helps with that nasty 2:30 in the morning for now. (slice of bread, olive oil spritzed, and a single slice of meat, bread folded over) A bite or two does me good.

But- I'm in my third window in a month.  Probably nothing more than a coincidence.

Here is the link that best explains the different GABA agonists (scroll down to the one for taurine): http://www.longecity...ly-effectively/

This may be more of a concern for those of us in the midst of tapering benzos.

Have you tried magnesium taurate (which combines the best of both worlds)? NAC also reduces glutamate helps both depression and anxiety.

MEDS SUMMARY:

1) Valium: 10mg avg prn from 09-06-14 to 10-20-14
2) Xanax: 0.75mg avg prn from from 09-19-14 to 10-16-14
3) Lexapro: 5mg q.d. from 10-06-14 to 10-16-14
4) switched immediately to Clonazepam: 0.5mg average/day for 2 weeks (10-17-24-10-30-14); titrated to 1mg (0.5mg bid) on 10-31-14 to present; started microtaper @ .625% (.0031250mg x 2) from 08-09-15 to 08-15-15; .800% (.0038750mg x 2) from 08-16-15 to present; destabilized 08-19-15 (due to change from original tablet); reinstated, on day 54, and have tapered a total of 14% as of 09-30-15 with zero symptoms (knock on wood)!
5) Lamictal: 100mg q.d. from 10-23-14 to 12-04-14; started tapering 12-05-14, 25mg every 2 weeks; destabilized 01-15-14; reinstated 01-22-15 at 25mg q.d. from 01-24-15 to 02-19-15; cut approx. 3-4mg every 5-10 days until 03-22-15, then cut 2mg every 5-6 days until 05-12-15; holding at 4mg q.d. from 05-13-15 to present.
Detailed Analysis - Lamictal history: https://app.box.com/...d57l1a00gsk2i4u

6) Also taking meds for blood pressure (Coreg @ 6.25mg b.i.d. and Losartan @ 50mg b.i.d.) + for blood clot I had back in 2012 (Xarelto @ 10mg) + for hypothyroidism (Armour Thyroid @ 1grain q.d.)

HISTORY & SUPPLEMENT LIST: https://app.box.com/...z8j4mzhz2oswn8l

#424 OCDee

OCDee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 31 May 2016 - 01:22 PM

Hi... This question is for anyone here who has had their cortisol levels tested. What is considered a high value of cortisol? I have had my lood tested at 10 AM and it came back 25.9. Can someone recommend anything that might stabalize the cortisol levels? I am no longer suffering from insomnia. The insomnia I was having turned out to be from elevated estrogen levels which I treated with acupuncture and chinese herbs. I have been sleeping well since I began treatment but I have the feeling that cortisol may still be high since I still have the anxiety when I wake and am not able to sleep past 6 am on most days. I have read that ashwaganda and rhodiola may help but from what I read they only work while you are taking it. I'm looking for something that can normalize the cortisol without having to continue taking it forever. I have cut out coffee and alcohol as I have also learned that these significantly elevate cortisol. Thanks everyone. I'm hoping someone may havd useful information. I am so grateful for this site

#425 world33

world33

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 07 June 2016 - 06:25 AM

Hello everyone,

I had severe morning anxiety to the point where I could only lay down waiting for the evening to come, the only time I could relax and think properly. For no reason whatsoever my adrenaline and/or cortisol were skyrocketing in the morning after 30 minutes waking up. I would not wish that awful feeling to my worst enemy. I also developed intolerance to some food, especially wheat and probably increased my body inflammation. I am now taking a SSRI called Lexapro (I tried Aropax but did not do much for me) which is one of the most popular SSRI for anxiety. However it did not work 100% and still had brain fog, lack of concentration, poor memory and lack of energy.
I have tried so many supplements I hardly remember all of them. Recently I discovered some so-called adaptogen herbs/mushrooms and made a great difference in my level of energy, concentration and memory. Since I discovered them I have been reconsidering the root cause of my morning anxiety which is possible chronic stress. These adaptogen herbs are known to relief from stress and made me feel like I was ten years ago, before I fell into the awful anxiety tunnel.
I now regularly take ashwagandha extract, or Withania somnifera, (standardized to minimum 5% withanolides) at night which helps me to sleep soundly and Cordyceps and Rhodiola Rosea (standardized to 3% rosavins and 1% salidroside) extracts in the morning. Cordyceps' effect, in particular, lasts almost all day and makes a big difference for me. Schisandra and Jiaogulan are also good adaptogens.
I believe there are many types and causes of severe anxiety and the only way to find a solution is to try as many supplements as possible and find the one that works the best with limited side effects.
With regards to non adaptogens, theanine and glutamine are also very popular but did not do much for me. GABA supplements do not pass the Blood–brain barrier so they are potentially useless. There are some genetic mutations that do not allow to convert some vitamin Bs to their active form, so another potential avenue is to try a good supplement with Active/coenzymated forms of vitamin Bs. Sublingual delivery, beside intramuscular injection, is the most potent/efficient form for those vitamins and their bioavailability. I also tried Phosphorylated Serine (seriphos) which is supposed to lower cortisol levels but it did not improve much my situation despite the fact that, suffering from morning anxiety, the cortisol levels should play a key role in causing it considering they are at their peak in the morning.
If you really want to explore further and find a potential genetic cause for your anxiety/depression you can also take a DNA test with 23andme.com and plug the raw data files into third parties genetic explorers such as livewello.com, promethease.com, nutrahacker.com, geneticgenie.org, knowyourgenetics.com and decodify.me. Some of those genetic explorers can find out whether you have a genetic mutation that affect the methylation in your body. In this case active form of B9 (methylfolate), B12 (methylcobalamin, hydroxocobalamin or adenosylcobalamin) and B6 (Pyridoxal-5'-Phosphate) could help.
After a decade of personal research, I hope it may help someone else in my situation who is suffering from severe morning anxiety. There is indeed light at the end of the tunnel. Stay strong and do not be afraid to try several supplements.

Fabio
PS: Vitacost.com, iherb.com, Swansonvitamins.com are some of the best websites where I buy most of my supplements

#426 Rockingchaircat

Rockingchaircat

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationEugene Oregon

Posted 08 June 2016 - 01:00 PM

Or perh

Hi... This question is for anyone here who has had their cortisol levels tested. What is considered a high value of cortisol? I have had my lood tested at 10 AM and it came back 25.9. Can someone recommend anything that might stabalize the cortisol levels? I am no longer suffering from insomnia. The insomnia I was having turned out to be from elevated estrogen levels which I treated with acupuncture and chinese herbs. I have been sleeping well since I began treatment but I have the feeling that cortisol may still be high since I still have the anxiety when I wake and am not able to sleep past 6 am on most days. I have read that ashwaganda and rhodiola may help but from what I read they only work while you are taking it. I'm looking for something that can normalize the cortisol without having to continue taking it forever. I have cut out coffee and alcohol as I have also learned that these significantly elevate cortisol. Thanks everyone. I'm hoping someone may havd useful information. I am so grateful for this site

Here is the link that best explains the different GABA agonists (scroll down to the one for taurine): http://www.longecity...ly-effectively/

This may be more of a concern for those of us in the midst of tapering benzos.

Have you tried magnesium taurate (which combines the best of both worlds)? NAC also reduces glutamate helps both depression and anxiety.

Quote: Of course, the question of what taurine actually does in the brain remains unanswered for now. "Unraveling that mystery is the prime goal of that research, and that's where we're headed next." Dr. Harrison says.

Unquote.

All I know is: It helps. 

It doesn't eliminate the anxiety. And with all due respect to the researchers- it's helping me. It may be a Gaba Agonist, it may not. By their own admission- they don't know what it does.

The effects of Taurine on the Brain.

• Most frequently found in the central nervous system, retina, skeletal muscle, and heart, taurine is potentially useful in treating seizure disorders, cardiovascular problems, and some eye problems.

• Taurine functions in electrically active tissues, such as the brain and heart, to help stabilize cell membranes.

• This amino also appears to have some antioxidant and detoxifying effects.

• With the support of zinc, taurine aids in moving certain minerals in and out of cells and thus helping generate nerve impulses.

• As an inhibitory neurotransmitter, taurine’s main use has been to help in the treatment of epilepsy and other excitable brain states, where it functions as a mild sedative. Doses for this effect are 500 to 1,000 mg three times daily.

• Often prescribed in Japan and other countries for heart ailments, taurine assists your body’s healing process after a heart attack. Heart rhythm problems and heart weakness associated with congestive heart failure often respond to high doses, from 2 to 6 grams, three times daily.

• People with high blood pressure and high cholesterol also benefit from taurine in some cases.

• If you have heart disease, discuss the use of taurine with your doctor. Taurine is beneficial for various cardiovascular problems, including heart attacks, arrhythmias, congestive heart failure, and coronary heart disease.

• Taurine is one of the most important, useful, and safest amino acid supplements. Your body can produce this nutrient from cysteine with the help of vitamin B-6. Dietary sources of taurine are fish and meat. Vegetarians are more likely to get reduced levels of taurine in their diets.

http://www.dummies.c...and-nerves.html

With all due respect here.

I've gone from a near psychotic episode from lack of adequate sleep- to being able to function more fully on the job. (Yes, I have to work for a living). Primarily with the use of Taurine.  You wanna stay away- knock yourself out. But I'm speaking from personal experience. Anecdotal. 

Do I still get anxiety attacks and cortisol spikes in the middle of the night? You betcha. Do I have to deal with anxiety attacks during the day? You betcha!  So why am I taking Taurine? Because it's calming things down. I can get some sleep and night and not feel like I'm being tortured all of the time.  The anxiety attacks during the day are now down to a dull roar. I can do my job and be productive. 

My heart palpitations are down from several times a day for 15 minutes at a whack to once in a great while for a couple of skipped beats.

Taurine stimulates proliferation and promotes neurogenesis of mouse adult cultured neural stem/progenitor cells

http://www.sciencedi...873506112000232

The potential protective effects of taurine on coronary heart disease

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2813349/

Now if I'm going to try to avoid Taurine. How?

It's highly available naturally.

Taurine is an amino acid that can be made in your body from two other amino acids: cysteine and methionine Adequate amounts of taurine can usually be obtained from animal and fish protein, eggs and brewer's yeast (NOTE: if you have a viral or fungal infection, eating brewer's yeast can cause allergic reactions).Since taurine can be made in our bodies, it was thought to be a non-essential amino acid … however in certain circumstances, it is actually considered essential.

http://bodyecology.c..._in_taurine.php

I'm still going through withdrawals. I don't care if ends up making me withdraw longer. What it's done for me is make sure that my withdrawal is bearable enough to continue working my paycheck supplying job.

#427 Trichotomous

Trichotomous

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 11 June 2016 - 07:53 AM

I've been off Paroxetine for a year. Last February, I started DHEA and iodine. DHEA pushes back against depression. Iodine lowers anxiety. I began to sleep better and feel better.

After a couple months, I started feeling very odd in the mornings, within an hour of taking my supplements and until lunch or mid-afternoon. I noticed an odd, "wet" pressure in my head—as when you've been in the pool too long. There was also slight confusion, slurring, and other problems with speech, in particular. My fine motor skills were off, too.

These symptoms coincide with iodine intake. I felt fine by the late afternoon and early evening. But if you feel this way, you're doing something wrong.

Problem is, when I don't take iodine, my anxiety ratchets up a bit every day, and I get cortisol spikes after four hours of sleep, leaving me exhausted throughout the following day. And more anxious and depressed.

Paroxetine made turned me into a retarded zombie. I'm not certain the way I feel now—especially with these cortisol spikes undermining my entire life—is any better.

#428 Marsha

Marsha

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 11 June 2016 - 10:09 AM

In the second month after stopping geodon I woke up with mild anxiety during the night. But it went away. In May I reduced clonazepam by 8% and 2 1/2 weeks later experienced waking with a start about 3 times per night for a few weeks then it stopped. But I have experienced this feeling at waking and sometimes during the night all of my life. As a child when it would happen during the night I would go to my parents room and they would calm me down and put me on the couch right outside their room and tell me to concentrate on the flickering light of the flame in the oil stove. It always worked. But I have continued to experience this anxiety waking. Then yesterday a poor little dog was hit by a car right in front of our house. These types of things have always upset me greatly and I could not get the sounds of the dog suffering and the sight of him until he died out of my mind. This morning I work up at 4 but no anxiety but when I fell asleep again at 7 I had an uncomfortable dream (this usually precedes the anxiety upon waking) and woke up at 9 with anxiety. It never lasts. It is only momentary. I have to get used to this again after being in a chemical induced sleep for 12 years. Interesting.
<p>It all started with hashimotos thyroiditis.1994-2012 all the different kinds of antidepressants. 1997 xanax 1.5 klonopin 2006. Geodon started 2003 160 mgs. Many neuroleptics. Seems like l have been on everything. gabapentin 900 mg 2013-present.
librium 75 mg then 60mg 5/15 Tapered trazodone from October 2014 450 mgs to march 2015 0 mgs. Geodon reduced from 80 mg 8/2014 to 0 12/19/15. switched to 3 mgs of clonazepam 11/15. 12/16 2 mg clonazepam. Stopped 88 mcg levothyroxine. Introduced 32.5 mg nature-throid 12/20/16 Horrid reaction to Nature-Throid. Stopped taking after accidentally taking 15 mg clonazepam in stupor. Tapered prevacid 8/16 after 6 six years use.
Supplements:D3 2000 iu. Digestive enzymes, probiotic. No grains, gluten, sugar, dairy.

#429 Lakelander82

Lakelander82

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationNorthern Ireland

Posted 21 June 2016 - 05:27 AM

You know that feeling - you are in good form the previous evening, go to bed in pretty high spirits only to wake up deflated and anxious. It's as if the petrol you were operating on the previous evening suddenly dried up the next morning. Concentration is poor in the morning and an over all feeling of irritability predominates especially around other people/family members. You haven't changed over night in terms of your personality/thoughts etc but somehow the internal hardware has started malfunctioning and it will be evening time before you're operating properly again.

All down to cortisol levels or is there any other rational explanations?
May 2007 - October 2007 Citalopram 20 mg od. 1st Antidepressant ever taken. No problem with fast taper and no withdrawal effects. No antidepressants for over 5 years.

January 2013 started Citalopram 20mg.
March 2014 Switched to Sertraline 50 mg od.
23rd June 2016 started taper 45mg
23rd July 2016 40.5 mg of Sertraline
23rd August 36.45 mg of Sertraline
27th September 34.65 mg
24th October 32.90 mg
28th November 31.26 mg
4th January 32mg

#430 Susanne

Susanne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:50 AM

I've been wondering the same thing now for a long time. I've been searching with Google. I want to know what I can do about it...concentration is really poor indeed and it's absolutely discouraging

I can't find much information about what's happening in the brain after sleep and waking up, in my own language I mean. Something to do with neurotransmitters?

My morning schedule:
-Get up around 7. Don't want to say in bed too long because I'll start ruminating
-Pull back curtains to let lots of light in(seems like a good way to activate certain processes in body and brain) 
-Take a shower (not too long), dress and apply make-up
-Eat my breakfast, watch tv a little, drink coffee or green tea and take my supplements
-Meditate or practice mindfulness with the audio tracks I got from my therapist. Also read a little from my self-help book

Every other day I'll go out for a half an hour run in the woods near by.

After this routine I go to work (desk job). Most of the time I'm still a little depressed but not having continuous OCD thoughts anymore.

All my life: Occasional panic attacks. 2003: Burnout  2004: intrusion (OCD'ish) / anxiety. Therapies: acupuncture, Chinese herbs, hypnotherapy --> symptoms were manageable (did return once in a while), depression lifted.
2007 - Relapse, started with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. Therapist recommended Fevarin (fluvoxamine) 150 mg. Recovery after 3 months and remained stable. Mild side effects.
2009 - Tapered fluvoxamine. No withdrawal symptoms. 2010 - Relapse, same Pure O thought and anxiety.  Started taking 100 mg of fluvoxamine but after 9 weeks no change in symptoms. Did not have any effect on Pure O thought. Switched to Lexapro (escitalopram) 20 mg.  Drug started working within 3 weeks. Mild side effects. Slowly over the years tapered to 5 mg.
2015: Lots of personal issues and setbacks, occasional panic attack. 2016: April started skipping doses; 5mg escitalopram every other day (in hindsight a bad idea)
May: Major relapse, anxiety and intrusion returned. Depression. Increased from 2,5 mg 15 mg in two weeks. Side effects: neuro-emotions
June: Escitalopram has no effect on the frequency of the intrusion...after 4 weeks my general doctor advised me to do a fast taper to 5mg. Withdrawal effects (2/3 weeks): neuro-emotions, lack of focus, crying spells, fatigue, muscle twitches in legs, cortisol spikes just before waking up July: Stable on 5 mg. Depression and intrusion lifted during holiday (lots of sunshine, long walks and relaxing) August: Drop down to 2,5 mg. Withdrawal effects (tinnitus, headagues) are noticeable, but still mild in comparison to the big drop earlier.
22th August: stopped escitalopram completely. Cortisol spikes just before waking up, still OCD (only temporary improvements), WD-depression and WD-neuro emotions.
Update 6 dec: no medication, any withdrawal symptoms not noticable. Taking supplements for intrusive thoughts and overall well being: N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) omega 3 fish oils, zinc, vitamin d, magnesium l-threonate, ginko biloba

#431 Riffick

Riffick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:56 AM

Hello Lakelander.

Some people, but not all by any means, have a cortisol awakening response which leads to a rise of cortisol in the morning.  In addition, the HPA Axis can be disrupted in medication withdrawal and lead to poor cortisol regulation. 

Quite separately from cortisol, you may find overnight fasting causes low blood sugar and consequent poor CNS functioning in the morning.  Eating breakfast without delay on waking or eating late at night might help in such cases.

Difficult two year benzo taper. Subsequently took amitriptyline and Lyrica for pain and had to taper off them too. Both tapers were brutal possibly because of an underlying mitochondrial disorder which caused nerves to have insufficient energy to function.

#432 Lakelander82

Lakelander82

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationNorthern Ireland

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:12 AM

I've been wondering the same thing now for a long time. I've been searching with Google. I want to know what I can do about it...concentration is really poor indeed and it's absolutely discouraging
I can't find much information about what's happening in the brain after sleep and waking up, in my own language I mean. Something to do with neurotransmitters?
My morning schedule:
-Get up around 7. Don't want to say in bed too long because I'll start ruminating
-Pull back curtains to let lots of light in(seems like a good way to activate certain processes in body and brain) 
-Take a shower (not too long), dress and apply make-up
-Eat my breakfast, watch tv a little, drink coffee or green tea and take my supplements
-Meditate or practice mindfulness with the audio tracks I got from my therapist. Also read a little from my self-help book
Every other day I'll go out for a half an hour run in the woods near by.
After this routine I go to work (desk job). Most of the time I'm still a little depressed but not having continuous OCD thoughts anymore.

I oversleep, sometimes I lie in bed to 12 noon, sometimes even longer. I know this is disgraceful but it takes my mind and body so long to get up and running. It maybe 5 in the evening before my brain is functioning correctly. Then the rest of the evening I'm generally fine until the next morning and repeat. It's a self perpetuating cycle. Im not working, haven't done so since 2012.

Usually I go for a walk/run/ swim during the day. On some of my daily walks, it's can take very little to make me jump, even leaves rustling, sudden sounds or the sight of somebody appearing in the distance. Apart from my exercise, very little stimulates/ interests me- primarily because my nervous system is so much on edge and my concentration so poor. It's strange because in someways I think I've went into a partial withdrawal even on the full dose of Sertraline- so you're left wondering when should I kick on with this taper. Will my brain and nervous system start the healing process if I start the taper even when I'm not fully stabilised?
May 2007 - October 2007 Citalopram 20 mg od. 1st Antidepressant ever taken. No problem with fast taper and no withdrawal effects. No antidepressants for over 5 years.

January 2013 started Citalopram 20mg.
March 2014 Switched to Sertraline 50 mg od.
23rd June 2016 started taper 45mg
23rd July 2016 40.5 mg of Sertraline
23rd August 36.45 mg of Sertraline
27th September 34.65 mg
24th October 32.90 mg
28th November 31.26 mg
4th January 32mg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: circadian rhythm, cortisol, morning anxiety