If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Waking with panic or anxiety -- managing cortisol spikes

circadian rhythm cortisol morning anxiety

• Please log in to reply
510 replies to this topic

#433 Mjau

Mjau

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • LocationScandinavia

Posted 21 June 2016 - 12:26 PM

I know the feeling! Feeling good in the evening, being a wreck in the morning. 

According to your signature you have been on Sertraline 50 mg since 2014. Maybe you should try to reduce the dose just a little? Say 5%? Maybe you are experiencing tolerance or the so called poop-out effect? 

1997-1999 Citalopram 20 mg

1999-2014 Sertraline 50 mg

2012 Sertraline very quick taper due to side effects. Switched to Wellbutrin 150 mg-300 mg. Reinstated Sertraline 25 mg-50 mg.

2013 Exhaustion. Wellbutrin 150 mg. Sertraline 75 mg-100 mg.

Sept 2014 Found this site. Started tapering. Sertraline 87,5 mg + Wellbutrin 150 mg 

Aug 2015 No more Wellbutrin!! Sertraline 50 mg

2016 Sertraline 35 mg (January) - 33 mg (March 21st) - 32,5 mg (July 11) - 32 mg (July 27)

2017 March 28,2 mg and holding

#434 blazesboylan

blazesboylan

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 21 June 2016 - 01:35 PM

You know that feeling - you are in good form the previous evening, go to bed in pretty high spirits only to wake up deflated and anxious. It's as if the petrol you were operating on the previous evening suddenly dried up the next morning. Concentration is poor in the morning and an over all feeling of irritability predominates especially around other people/family members. You haven't changed over night in terms of your personality/thoughts etc but somehow the internal hardware has started malfunctioning and it will be evening time before you're operating properly again.

All down to cortisol levels or is there any other rational explanations?

I don't have the answer to your question although I can relate. I can feel quite anxious and sometimes depressed in the morning time, just after waking up.

Sometimes I wake from a dream and my dreams can be unsettling sometimes. They are not quite nightmares but the anxiety caries through to wakefulness.

When I leave the house and start about my day I generally feel better though.

Previously - zopiclone, risperidone, lyrica (pregabalin), ativan (lorezapam)

07/Jun/2016 -  80mg effexor, 5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
25/Jun/2016 -  80mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
04/Jul/2016 -  72mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
01/Aug/2016 -  65mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
12/Aug/2016 -  75mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
03/Oct/2016 -  70mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
29/Oct/2016 -  65mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
25/Nov/2016 -  65mg effexor, 4mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
25/Dec/2016 -  60mg effexor, 3.6mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
18/Jan/2017 -  60mg effexor, 5.25mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
27/Mar/2017 -  54mg effexor, 5.25mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
23/Apr/2017 -  54mg effexor, 7.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine

valium (diazepam) as needed. Not daily. Rarely in fact.

Supplements - Magnesium, Omega-3, L-Theanine, Sterol and Stanols.

Note : I would really hope that nobody uses my tapering history as a guideline. It might not work well for somebody else tapering similar medications.

#435 joannatm

joannatm

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Locationcrawley

Posted 22 June 2016 - 12:22 AM

I feel exactly the same. Went to be feeling good wake up feeling anxious nwgative thoughts sweating too. Don't want to get up but of course force myself. Feel in my own bubble too then I start feeling norm say 11 am onwards but some days especially pmt week I feel crap all day till night. Why and what can I do to help. X
May 2003 prozac for six months after having first child. Came off taper slow. No withdrawals.
December 2009 10mg citalopram after second child.
January 2010 up to 20mg kinda helped. Not much.
July 2010 taper off within a month.
Side affects of tiredness tears. Doctor said I depressed still.
Oct 2010 Went back doctor they put me on sertraline 20mg and went to cbt therapy. Doctor kept upping it as wasn't feeling better to 200mg.
December 2014 felt better started to reduce by 4 tablets to 3 then to 2 then 1 and half. Four five weeks gap between. Stopped at 25mg in April 2015.7 months no meds.

#436 gn11

gn11

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:26 PM

Yes, this has been my experience sometimes. I believe is cortisol dysfunction.  I use acupuncture to help me with the relaxation response...today I felt this way most of the day but i am adjusting to higher dose of Celexa before I go back down again. No light helps...music/ meditation .. eating oatmeal .

I think stress at work and too much activity makes it worse for me....this si something I want to learn more about. There is a little information here in SA.

2006-2007 Lexapro (not sure of dose) in 2006

2007 Stopped abruptly. Developed serious wd symptom.Went back after two weeks and  tapered successfully over 3 months

November 2013  started 10 mg of Celexa for hormonal symptoms

early 2014 cutdown Celexa to 5 mg.Attempted to get off it November 2014 and had a difficult time. Went back to 5 mg and stayed until about a month ago. Had eye surgery for glaucoma (left eye-mini-shunt implant)

March-April 2016 developed multiple problems: ringing of ears, ear infections, multiple allergies. Tested negative to allergies  

Anxiety increased  every time I used  an OTC or had stress.April-May Cortisol spike problems increased.

June 9 Found this website while doing research on cortisone and celexa.

Went back between 5 and 10 mg a couple of times. Currently trying to stabilize at 7.5.   and  taking  a leave from work and comeback part-time.

Started taking liquid Celexa 6/15/2016 at 3.75 ml

Other meds: Dorzalamide/timolol for glaucoma twice a day andLatanoprost in the evening.

Vitamin D 2000 mg;vitamin C 500 mg; Lysine 1000 mg 2 x a day. Acupuncture twice a week; meditation; relaxing music daily. 150 mg of Magnesium as of 6/15.

#437 Susanne

Susanne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 22 June 2016 - 09:19 PM

This is my 8th day on 5 mg of Lexapro. Woke up at 4 am, having tingling sensations on my chest and arms and/or legs. Fell a sleep again and woke up two hours later, sweating and trembling.
Believe it's withdrawal....but it's getting harder to just not feel a little bit positve.

All my life: Occasional panic attacks. 2003: Burnout  2004: intrusion (OCD'ish) / anxiety. Therapies: acupuncture, Chinese herbs, hypnotherapy --> symptoms were manageable (did return once in a while), depression lifted.
2007 - Relapse, started with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. Therapist recommended Fevarin (fluvoxamine) 150 mg. Recovery after 3 months and remained stable. Mild side effects.
2009 - Tapered fluvoxamine. No withdrawal symptoms. 2010 - Relapse, same Pure O thought and anxiety.  Started taking 100 mg of fluvoxamine but after 9 weeks no change in symptoms. Did not have any effect on Pure O thought. Switched to Lexapro (escitalopram) 20 mg.  Drug started working within 3 weeks. Mild side effects. Slowly over the years tapered to 5 mg.
2015: Lots of personal issues and setbacks, occasional panic attack. 2016: April started skipping doses; 5mg escitalopram every other day (in hindsight a bad idea)
May: Major relapse, anxiety and intrusion returned. Depression. Increased from 2,5 mg 15 mg in two weeks. Side effects: neuro-emotions
June: Escitalopram has no effect on the frequency of the intrusion...after 4 weeks my general doctor advised me to do a fast taper to 5mg. Withdrawal effects (2/3 weeks): neuro-emotions, lack of focus, crying spells, fatigue, muscle twitches in legs, cortisol spikes just before waking up July: Stable on 5 mg. Depression and intrusion lifted during holiday (lots of sunshine, long walks and relaxing) August: Drop down to 2,5 mg. Withdrawal effects (tinnitus, headagues) are noticeable, but still mild in comparison to the big drop earlier.
22th August: stopped escitalopram completely. Cortisol spikes just before waking up, still OCD (only temporary improvements), WD-depression and WD-neuro emotions.
Update 6 dec: no medication, any withdrawal symptoms not noticable. Taking supplements for intrusive thoughts and overall well being: N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) omega 3 fish oils, zinc, vitamin d, magnesium l-threonate, ginko biloba

#438 Cheryl

Cheryl

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationWaterford Michigan

Posted 23 June 2016 - 05:31 PM

Hi everyone...

I have not been on here in a while. I've been just "dealing with", so to speak, trying to work through everything.

I am dealing with some of these exact issues. The rise in cortisol. This panic feeling and anxiety is worse for me in the AM too. Then along comes the obsessive thinking. I definitely do my best in the evening.

My bigger issue, which has big concern, is the rise in cortisol on some days has been giving me headaches. I have recently been having my blood pressure checked and it has been spiking on days like this. This has been a bit scary to me because I don't feel I should go on BP medication. My normal BP at rest is on the low side.
Has anyone had this happen as well? I wanted to check into taking a BP medication on an as needed basis.

I do have migraine disease and am being treated for that, but these headaches are different.

I was on Lexapro 10mg, once a day for about 8 yrs combined with Abilify 2mg, once per day and Klonopin ,25-.50mg up to 4 times a day. Prior to that multiple trials of various SSRIs and low doses of unsuccessful various mood stabilizers in anticonvulsant category with the same dose of Klonopin for a total of over 16 yrs.[/font][/size]Withdrawal from Abilify around Aug. 2015 and slow taper of Lexapro began late Jan. 2016. As of January 2017 I am 11 months full withdrawal from Lexapro and was .25mg of Klonopin at night.(went to .25 klonopin at night only somewhere in October)<p>**Update with my Klonopin taper. I was on .25mg at night and .25mg in AM with varying doses of .125mg during day, maybe once or twice on as needed basis. Starting in early September 2016 reduction of .125mg day dose was decreased to only .25mg AM. Over 2-3 weeks was down to .125mg AM for about 3-4 weeks. As of sometime in October down to only .25mg at night. As of 1/7/17 I am updosed to an additional .25mg at night, for a total of .5mg**

#439 Cheryl

Cheryl

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationWaterford Michigan

Posted 24 June 2016 - 03:55 AM

Hi everyone...

I posted this in response to the topic "What's Up With the Morning" topic. I have not seen a response yet so I'm starting a new topic.

I have not been on here in a while. I've been just "dealing with", so to speak, trying to work through everything.

I am dealing with some of these exact issues. The rise in cortisol. This panic feeling and anxiety is worse for me in the AM too. Then along comes the obsessive thinking. I definitely do my best in the evening.

My bigger issue, which has big concern, is the rise in cortisol on some days has been giving me headaches. I have recently been having my blood pressure checked and it has been spiking on days like this. This has been a bit scary to me because I don't feel I should go on BP medication. My normal BP at rest is on the low side.
Has anyone had this happen as well? I wanted to check into taking a BP medication on an as needed basis.

I do have migraine disease and am being treated for that, but these headaches are different.
I was on Lexapro 10mg, once a day for about 8 yrs combined with Abilify 2mg, once per day and Klonopin ,25-.50mg up to 4 times a day. Prior to that multiple trials of various SSRIs and low doses of unsuccessful various mood stabilizers in anticonvulsant category with the same dose of Klonopin for a total of over 16 yrs.[/font][/size]Withdrawal from Abilify around Aug. 2015 and slow taper of Lexapro began late Jan. 2016. As of January 2017 I am 11 months full withdrawal from Lexapro and was .25mg of Klonopin at night.(went to .25 klonopin at night only somewhere in October)<p>**Update with my Klonopin taper. I was on .25mg at night and .25mg in AM with varying doses of .125mg during day, maybe once or twice on as needed basis. Starting in early September 2016 reduction of .125mg day dose was decreased to only .25mg AM. Over 2-3 weeks was down to .125mg AM for about 3-4 weeks. As of sometime in October down to only .25mg at night. As of 1/7/17 I am updosed to an additional .25mg at night, for a total of .5mg**

#440 blazesboylan

blazesboylan

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 16 July 2016 - 05:44 AM

For me, it's the fear of not knowing what's going to happen next, and having to be forced to wait for an answer, along with the dread that I am going to be rejected, yet again. I've always had the feeling I'm always too little, too late.

I can really relate to that. I don't like dealing uncertainty. Especially in the work environment. I can be very sensitive to criticism. The feeling that what I do is just not good enough. I have always been very sensitive to rejection. Anxious and super-vigilant to perceived threats, and I don't think that it's related to withdrawal. I suppose that I can be a people pleaser. I find it hard to say no to people. Always polite. Non-confrontational.

But, regarding the topic of the thread, I often feel very anxious on waking up. I might try wearing a night mask. At the moment it gets bright very early in Ireland. It is fully bright by 5am. I am dealing with a lot of anxiety at the moment. I'm not sure if it's a result of my last cut to the Effexor or the fact that work has been quite stressful for the last week.

Note : I would really hope that nobody uses my tapering history as a guideline. It might not work well for somebody else tapering similar medications.

#441 HeatherRose

HeatherRose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Locationbloomington, indiana, USA

Posted 03 August 2016 - 11:22 PM

I have been taking Valerian Root for 20 years for anxiety. It works great and also helps me sleep when i am having a rough night. I have found it to have no side effects and it relaxes me like a benzo but without withdrawal symptoms or tolerance issues.

Diagnosed in 1991: Started on LIthium at first. Added Haladol to stop psychotic symptoms.Changed meds many times from that time on. I can't remember them all. Some meds I have been on: Lithium, Halodol, Depakote, Seroquel, Tegretol, Trileptal, Abilify, Prozac, Zoloft, Xanax, Adivan, Neurontin, Lamictal, Prolixin Injections. Recently also taken off of Chantix. Was on 1mg Chantix for 4 months. Withdrawn in 5/16.I am currently taking: Invega injection 177mg once a month--can go down to every 3 months; Lamictal 200mg 2X a day; Adivan 2mg; Propanolol 80mg; Rozerem 8mg; Remeron 7.5 mg; Levothyroxin 50mcg, Mobic 15mg<p>

In the last week--as of 8/10/2016 I have been stopped on my Remeron 7.5 mg and started on Zoloft 100mg per day.

#442 pete333

pete333

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 09 August 2016 - 07:22 PM

I wake with a degree of nervousness that I have not had in many years since tapering.

I have it at times, but had it most of the time in the last few months.

Not that "I've got energy and ready to pop up" feeling either.  More like a "ahhh....I am so uptight I don't want to think" type of thing.

This is not fun.  But not life threatening.

Anybody else been at this point?

Pete

1993 prescribed Anafranil and something else I can't remember for very major severe debilitating depression that his BEFORE any meds of any kind.

1993 prescribed 2 mg x 4 daily Ativan for nerves and anxiety as recommended by family and doctor.  Didn't always use it.

2002? prescribed Zoloft.  

2009 prescribed Paxil.  Switched to Paxil by first doctor trying to help raging IBS D that had hit.

2012 prescribed Pexeva and IBS dissappeared.

2013 government mandated use of Paxil for everyone, went back on it.  (Unless you have $1,000.00 per month laying around)  IBS RETURNED.

June 2015 2nd doctor cut 30 mg Paxil to 20 mg Paxil to try to stop new level of deadly IBS that made me unable to eat.

October 2015 began accidentally missing several Paxil doses per month.

June 2016 reduced Paxil to 15mg officially to begin to try to taper.

1993 Prescribed 2 mg X 4 per day Ativan as per family and doctor for anxiety and nerves. Quit/tapered Ativan years at a time until divorce 2012.

2016 began 1mg Ativan a little closer together in effort to taper.  Dropped from 8 mg per day to 5 mg per day.

#443 pete333

pete333

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 10 August 2016 - 09:27 AM

This seems to be a very common symptom of withdrawal syndrome. Many people report waking up with a surge of panic or anxiety, or a feeling of anxiety early in the morning. A lot of times, people are waking around 4:30 a.m. or closer to dawn. The first glimmers of morning light signal the nervous system to start the morning cycle with a jump in cortisol. At normal levels, cortisol gives you energy. At elevated levels, cortisol gives you a feeling of unease, anxiety, panic, or depression. When you have withdrawal syndrome, your system is on "high alert" all the time. The normal morning peak of cortisol gets exaggerated and what you would normally feel as "wake up" becomes a surge of panic, anxiety, or dread in the early morning.

I guess they merged my post.

Thanks for the info and reply.  Some mornings I'm ok. Others I'm not. 

Thanks

For me this was one of the worst things and it happened every morning for fist 2 or 3 years and then it stopped. However I have strted getting it again now and it will be 6 years since I stopped the drug next

Hey, do you think it's just nerves?  I mean these drugs don't cause everything .  People actually have problems to begin with.

1993 prescribed Anafranil and something else I can't remember for very major severe debilitating depression that his BEFORE any meds of any kind.

1993 prescribed 2 mg x 4 daily Ativan for nerves and anxiety as recommended by family and doctor.  Didn't always use it.

2002? prescribed Zoloft.  

2009 prescribed Paxil.  Switched to Paxil by first doctor trying to help raging IBS D that had hit.

2013 government mandated use of Paxil for everyone, went back on it.  (Unless you have $1,000.00 per month laying around)  IBS RETURNED.

June 2015 2nd doctor cut 30 mg Paxil to 20 mg Paxil to try to stop new level of deadly IBS that made me unable to eat.

1993 Prescribed 2 mg X 4 per day Ativan as per family and doctor for anxiety and nerves. Quit/tapered Ativan years at a time until divorce 2012.

2016 began 1mg Ativan a little closer together in effort to taper.  Dropped from 8 mg per day to 5 mg per day.

#444 fj929

fj929

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 10 August 2016 - 11:37 AM

Vitamin C in the form of 2 tall glasses of OJ at night before bed. Vitamin C is suppose to reduce cortisol levels and I can tell you it stopped my morning anxiety almost completley. I have stopped taking the OJ for a week or so and the anxiety comes back. There is another thread where others had similiar experiences.

Paxil 10mg 2004-2011
7.5mg 4months
5mg. 4months
2.5mg.8 months no wd issues
Dropped pax 4-10-12
5-9-12 started prozac to alleviate symptoms (no relief)
5-22-12 reinstated paxil 2.5mg
5-28-12 5mg pax (couldn't tolerate sides)
6-22-12 Pax 2.5
6-30-12 Pax O
Cerebrolysin to help with wd at 29 months. Horrible decision much worse.
Still suffering sever Brain fog, Confusion, slow thinking,And just feeling sick and weird (hard to explain),facial twitching, weakness, shaking and jerking

#445 Hibari

Hibari

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:55 PM

Vitamin C in the form of 2 tall glasses of OJ at night before bed. Vitamin C is suppose to reduce cortisol levels and I can tell you it stopped my morning anxiety almost completley. I have stopped taking the OJ for a week or so and the anxiety comes back. There is another thread where others had similiar experiences.

This is really interesting. Is the Vitamin C still helping with the morning anxiety? 

I follow what others have posted, I don't feel good in the morning and by the time the late afternoon/eve hits I feel better and better. 

September 2013-April 2014: After the death of my mom in July 2012.-became very depressed in September of 2013. Given a series of antidepressants very quickly from about 4 different psychiatrists in a 6 month period. Each one was from 1 day to 10 days at the most. My body could not handle it-I had Zoloft 4 days, Lexapro-1 day, Nortriptyline-10 days, Liquid Prozac, 1 week, Cymbalta 1 week.

December 2013-September 2014: Put on Xanax after a reaction to the Lexapro, averaging .50-1mg per day. Switched to Clonazepam-midway averaging about 0.25-0.50 daily.

June 2014: Jan/Feb 2015: Put on 7.5 Remeron titrate up to 41.25mgs

September 2014-July 2015: Put on 25mgs of Lamictal titrate up to 200mgs daily. Also stopped the Clonzepam- never felt the wd I had experienced when I tried to stop it before (knowing nothing about withdrawal) because the Lamictal calmed me down.

Currently: Tapering both medications together using micro cuts. Started tapering Remeron in January 2015, Started tapering Lamictal July 2015 Main wd symptoms-sweating, nausea, headaches, deep crying, anxiety. 12/21/16 Remeron 1.6 Lamictal 22.50 mgs 1/19/17 Remeron 1.2mgs, Lamictal 22.50mg 2/12/17 Remeron 1.2 Lamictal 21.25 mgs 3/4/17 Remeron 0.85 Lamictal 21.25 3/14 Remeron 0.85 Lamictal 20mgs 3/22 Remeron 0.45 Lamictal 20mg 3/25 Remeron 0.45 Lamictal 18.75mgs 3/30 Remeron 0.025 4/7 Lamictal 18.75mgs Remeron 0.025

4/7/2017 Remeron Free stopped at 0.025mgs

Additional Support: Acupuncture with Reflexology, Alanon, L-Theanine for anxiety as needed, Estradial patch 0.025, Bio-indentical Progesterone cream 150-200 Armour Thyroid 90mgs.

#446 Susanne

Susanne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 02:40 AM

I think I'll try the vitamin C. I've been waking up the last few days with a pounding heart beat, feeling really depressed and worried....

All my life: Occasional panic attacks. 2003: Burnout  2004: intrusion (OCD'ish) / anxiety. Therapies: acupuncture, Chinese herbs, hypnotherapy --> symptoms were manageable (did return once in a while), depression lifted.
2007 - Relapse, started with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. Therapist recommended Fevarin (fluvoxamine) 150 mg. Recovery after 3 months and remained stable. Mild side effects.
2009 - Tapered fluvoxamine. No withdrawal symptoms. 2010 - Relapse, same Pure O thought and anxiety.  Started taking 100 mg of fluvoxamine but after 9 weeks no change in symptoms. Did not have any effect on Pure O thought. Switched to Lexapro (escitalopram) 20 mg.  Drug started working within 3 weeks. Mild side effects. Slowly over the years tapered to 5 mg.
2015: Lots of personal issues and setbacks, occasional panic attack. 2016: April started skipping doses; 5mg escitalopram every other day (in hindsight a bad idea)
May: Major relapse, anxiety and intrusion returned. Depression. Increased from 2,5 mg 15 mg in two weeks. Side effects: neuro-emotions
June: Escitalopram has no effect on the frequency of the intrusion...after 4 weeks my general doctor advised me to do a fast taper to 5mg. Withdrawal effects (2/3 weeks): neuro-emotions, lack of focus, crying spells, fatigue, muscle twitches in legs, cortisol spikes just before waking up July: Stable on 5 mg. Depression and intrusion lifted during holiday (lots of sunshine, long walks and relaxing) August: Drop down to 2,5 mg. Withdrawal effects (tinnitus, headagues) are noticeable, but still mild in comparison to the big drop earlier.
22th August: stopped escitalopram completely. Cortisol spikes just before waking up, still OCD (only temporary improvements), WD-depression and WD-neuro emotions.
Update 6 dec: no medication, any withdrawal symptoms not noticable. Taking supplements for intrusive thoughts and overall well being: N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) omega 3 fish oils, zinc, vitamin d, magnesium l-threonate, ginko biloba

#447 genlady

genlady

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationGenelle, British Columbia, Canada

Posted 26 August 2016 - 11:51 PM

I usually get surges of anxiety around midnight and am up sometimes all night.  I used to have the surges during the daytime as well, but they have diminished.  I take Melatonin at bedtime, but that doesn't seem to help.  I am taking a full spectrum amino acids , calcium/magnesium supplements, multi-vitamin , potassium, Omega 3's.  Nothing seems to prevent the anxiety, so I just deal with it when it comes by deep breathing and keep busy during the night when I can't sleep due to the anxiety.  It does go away, then I sleep.  For some reason, I slept all night and part of the morning one night.  Go figure?  My body has always done things differently than the usual. 

Medications:  Trazodone, Lamotrigine, Klonopin for over 10 years   all at maximum dosages,:Disconcontinued Klonopin in month of February 2011,  discontinued Trazodone and Lamotrigine   in month of March 2011 while in hosptial.  Given Seroquel to "help" go off Klonopin  gradually increased to 600 mg ; doctor took me off 600 mg. Seroquel in two weeks, and switched to Resperidal  because of weight gain on Seroquel, went off Resperidal quickly,   then gradually reinstated  Seroquel to 600 mg. at my request.   Went off Seroquel by myself at 25mg. per month in 2014.     Last medication Seroquel completely off since May 2016. Also went off Morphine at the same time as last 25 mg. of Seroquel in May 2016. Started tapering 40mg. to 35mg. Celexa on 11 Aug. 2016  ; 16 Oct. Celexa 32.5 mg.; 6 Nov. 2016:  30mg. , 50 mg abt. Feb 26 with occasional 30mg.  , 40 mg. Mar 20

Supplements :Xiao yao San; Magnesium: 500mg. three x   day., Omega 3's: 3,000 mg.

Multi-Vitamin,Vitamin D: 500 mg. 3x day,  Glycine 1000mg.

Medications presently taking:  Celexa 40mg,  Lyrica 150mg. 2x day  , Synthroid 175mcg, Nasonex 2 sprays each nostril, once a day , hydromorphone .5mg every six hours. 

#448 Help777

Help777

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 August 2016 - 03:46 AM

I've tried magnesium, melatonin, with no success.. Thinking of trying either taurine or lactium to help increase length of sleep time. Any recommendations on which one to try first?
<p>2000 effexor xr 112.5mgTried weaning twice over last few years, gave up after emotional turmoilNoticed mood instability over last few years and went to see pdoc.Pdoc diagnosed bpII and suggested I start lithium and 'wean effexor.Sept 2015 added lithium 300mg.Sept 2015 started to wean effexor.Oct 2015 weaned effexor xr to 75 mg. experienced crying bouts and pdoc suggested prozac bridge to assist taper.Oct 2015 added prozac 20 mg to help bridge; continuing with 75mg effexor, 300 lithiumNov 2015 effexor xr down to 37.5mg, continuing prozac 20 mg and lithium 300 mg.Dec 2015 Started counting effexor beads as dose is now smaller than the 37.5mg capsule - at 86 beads, cont prozac 20 mg, lithium 300 mgJan 2016 effexor 66 beads, which is about 20mg. Continuing with prozac 20mg and lithium 300mg. Also, Omega 3Feb 2016 56 beads of effexor xr. Prozac 20 mg. lithium 300mg, also Omega
3March 2016 Effexor-36 beads. Prozac-10 mg. Lithium 300 mg, also Omega 3 and probiotics, gf, no sugar, high fat, protein diet.
April 2016 Effexor 26 beads, Prozac 10 mg, Lithium 300 mg. also, Omega 3 and probiotics. gf, no sugar, high fat, protein diet.<p>
May 12th took last bead of effexor. Will begin to taper prozac 5mg at a very slow rate. Continuing with 300mg Lithium for now.
May 31st took last of prozac. Continuing Lithium 300 mg, estrogen patch 150, magnesium.
June 14th reinstated 1mg Prozac due to intolerable emotional distress. Cont with lithium 300mg, 150 magnesium, re added omega 3, cont estrogen patch. June 15-july 5th had marked improvement of emotional wd symptoms, likely due to the reinstatement. Wave came crashing in around July 5th and intense emotional symptoms returned.
July 15 decreased 50 mg of lithium to see if it improved low heart rate.
July 19th - increased prozac to 1.5mg.
July 22 marked improvement of emotional symptoms...again, likely due to increase of prozac. However sudden agitation developed so decreased back down to 1.25mg prozac. Realizing increasing dose is dangerous because of these adverse effects and also seeing that wave is inevitable regardless of reinstatement.
Continuing 250 lithium, 1.25mg prozac, estrogen.
Oct 31st - continued 250 lithium, 1 mg prozac, estrogen patch. Thinking about retrying omega 3 and magnesium but they made symptoms worse when i tried a few months ago.

#449 HeatherRose

HeatherRose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Locationbloomington, indiana, USA

Posted 31 August 2016 - 02:00 PM

I wake up at 2-3 am with high anxiety--crying, feeling anxious, unable to sleep. I take an adivan just so i can settle down and go back to sleep.

Diagnosed in 1991: Started on LIthium at first. Added Haladol to stop psychotic symptoms.Changed meds many times from that time on. I can't remember them all. Some meds I have been on: Lithium, Halodol, Depakote, Seroquel, Tegretol, Trileptal, Abilify, Prozac, Zoloft, Xanax, Adivan, Neurontin, Lamictal, Prolixin Injections. Recently also taken off of Chantix. Was on 1mg Chantix for 4 months. Withdrawn in 5/16.I am currently taking: Invega injection 177mg once a month--can go down to every 3 months; Lamictal 200mg 2X a day; Adivan 2mg; Propanolol 80mg; Rozerem 8mg; Remeron 7.5 mg; Levothyroxin 50mcg, Mobic 15mg<p>

In the last week--as of 8/10/2016 I have been stopped on my Remeron 7.5 mg and started on Zoloft 100mg per day.

#450 Susanne

Susanne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 07:02 AM

Hi Fj929, I bought a tube of those tablets which can be dissolved in water. Just vitamin C 1000 mg with some additives like aspartame. Drank it before bedtime. Normally I'm not a fan of these, but it seemed like the anxious feeling was a lot less this morning. I slept peacefully till 7 am, woke up and instead of the racing heartbeat I was just a little uneasy.
I will try it again tonight :-)

#451 Hibari

Hibari

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 01 September 2016 - 08:06 AM

I have been trying the Vitamin C.  Taking 4 divided doses of 500mgs during the day. 

I have not been waking up with morning anxiety but I don't if it's because I finally stabilized after my most recent medication cut or it's the C.  I still am sweating during the night and in the morning but my mood has not dropped.   On a gut level, I think the C is helping and I will see what happens with it around my next cut.

September 2013-April 2014: After the death of my mom in July 2012.-became very depressed in September of 2013. Given a series of antidepressants very quickly from about 4 different psychiatrists in a 6 month period. Each one was from 1 day to 10 days at the most. My body could not handle it-I had Zoloft 4 days, Lexapro-1 day, Nortriptyline-10 days, Liquid Prozac, 1 week, Cymbalta 1 week.

December 2013-September 2014: Put on Xanax after a reaction to the Lexapro, averaging .50-1mg per day. Switched to Clonazepam-midway averaging about 0.25-0.50 daily.

June 2014: Jan/Feb 2015: Put on 7.5 Remeron titrate up to 41.25mgs

September 2014-July 2015: Put on 25mgs of Lamictal titrate up to 200mgs daily. Also stopped the Clonzepam- never felt the wd I had experienced when I tried to stop it before (knowing nothing about withdrawal) because the Lamictal calmed me down.

Currently: Tapering both medications together using micro cuts. Started tapering Remeron in January 2015, Started tapering Lamictal July 2015 Main wd symptoms-sweating, nausea, headaches, deep crying, anxiety. 12/21/16 Remeron 1.6 Lamictal 22.50 mgs 1/19/17 Remeron 1.2mgs, Lamictal 22.50mg 2/12/17 Remeron 1.2 Lamictal 21.25 mgs 3/4/17 Remeron 0.85 Lamictal 21.25 3/14 Remeron 0.85 Lamictal 20mgs 3/22 Remeron 0.45 Lamictal 20mg 3/25 Remeron 0.45 Lamictal 18.75mgs 3/30 Remeron 0.025 4/7 Lamictal 18.75mgs Remeron 0.025

4/7/2017 Remeron Free stopped at 0.025mgs

Additional Support: Acupuncture with Reflexology, Alanon, L-Theanine for anxiety as needed, Estradial patch 0.025, Bio-indentical Progesterone cream 150-200 Armour Thyroid 90mgs.

#452 pete333

pete333

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 10 September 2016 - 09:15 AM

This seems to be a very common symptom of withdrawal syndrome. Many people report waking up with a surge of panic or anxiety, or a feeling of anxiety early in the morning. A lot of times, people are waking around 4:30 a.m. or closer to dawn. The first glimmers of morning light signal the nervous system to start the morning cycle with a jump in cortisol. At normal levels, cortisol gives you energy. At elevated levels, cortisol gives you a feeling of unease, anxiety, panic, or depression. When you have withdrawal syndrome, your system is on "high alert" all the time. The normal morning peak of cortisol gets exaggerated and what you would normally feel as "wake up" becomes a surge of panic, anxiety, or dread in the early morning.

Idk how to tag everyone in this thread but am going to read through it, so much here and see if I have anything useful to add.  AND reset or change the fact that I am not getting any notifications through email.

2002? prescribed Zoloft.  

#453 fj929

fj929

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 17 September 2016 - 06:28 PM

The Vitamin C is still working for me. Mad a huge difference for me with anxiety and depression as well.

Paxil 10mg 2004-2011
7.5mg 4months
5mg. 4months
2.5mg.8 months no wd issues
Dropped pax 4-10-12
5-9-12 started prozac to alleviate symptoms (no relief)
5-22-12 reinstated paxil 2.5mg
5-28-12 5mg pax (couldn't tolerate sides)
6-22-12 Pax 2.5
6-30-12 Pax O
Cerebrolysin to help with wd at 29 months. Horrible decision much worse.
Still suffering sever Brain fog, Confusion, slow thinking,And just feeling sick and weird (hard to explain),facial twitching, weakness, shaking and jerking

#454 pete333

pete333

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 18 September 2016 - 04:16 AM

The Vitamin C is still working for me. Mad a huge difference for me with anxiety and depression as well.

My son has always reccomended larger than govt issue lol doses of vitamin C.  I take a children's multivitamin but probably need to look into vitamin C.

2002? prescribed Zoloft.  

#455 AliG

AliG

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 3,406 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 20 September 2016 - 06:06 AM

If It can supposedly help cure cancer, it obviously has huge benefits health wise . :)  Definitely worth a go . Yes - RDI - a joke !    

Many SSRI's &SSNRI's over 20 years . Zoloft - 7 years .  Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and many more - on and off . No tapering. Cold turkey -  Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Drug free since May, 2014
             "Find a place inside where there's joy and the joy will burn out the pain" - Joseph Campbell

#456 pete333

pete333

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 September 2016 - 09:16 AM

We had a 20 year old young man in our church who developed cancer.

He wouldn't take chemo.

He drank copious amounts of carrot juice.

He got over the cancer and it never came back.

Just sayin.....

2002? prescribed Zoloft.  

#457 blazesboylan

blazesboylan

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 22 September 2016 - 10:33 AM

Hello,

I have been suffering with morning anxiety for a while now. I have tried taking 2000 mgs of vitamin C before going to bed and I am finding that it isn't really very effective. That's just my own experience though. It seems to have worked for other people.

#458 pete333

pete333

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 22 September 2016 - 03:43 PM

Hello,

I have been suffering with morning anxiety for a while now. I have tried taking 2000 mgs of vitamin C before going to bed and I am finding that it isn't really very effective. That's just my own experience though. It seems to have worked for other people.

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply.

my anxiety is hit and miss and the morning variety is not as bad as it was.

I think I may need vitamin c for overall reasons mostly  related to physical health.  I'm in lousy shape.

While I have you here, can you take benadryl or other allergy pills?

They make me nutty with despair.

thanks

2002? prescribed Zoloft.  

#459 blazesboylan

blazesboylan

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 23 September 2016 - 11:03 AM

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply.

my anxiety is hit and miss and the morning variety is not as bad as it was.

I think I may need vitamin c for overall reasons mostly  related to physical health.  I'm in lousy shape.

While I have you here, can you take benadryl or other allergy pills?

They make me nutty with despair.

thanks

Hi,

No problem at all. I haven't tried benadryl or other over the counter allergy medicines. Maybe you mean antihistamines? They are supposed to be sedating I hear. Anyway, maybe I will those a shot. Thanks for the tip. I felt a little better today I think though.

Have a good weekend.

Blazes.

#460 pete333

pete333

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 24 September 2016 - 02:08 PM

Hi Fj929, I bought a tube of those tablets which can be dissolved in water. Just vitamin C 1000 mg with some additives like aspartame. Drank it before bedtime. Normally I'm not a fan of these, but it seemed like the anxious feeling was a lot less this morning. I slept peacefully till 7 am, woke up and instead of the racing heartbeat I was just a little uneasy.
I will try it again tonight :-)

I wanted to bug you since my post about allergies got merged with a big thread and I have received few replies.  Do you ever need any allergy medicince?  If so can you take it?

The last time i tried it I was filled with despair and dread like the 4th day of cold turkey stopping of an AD.

Any advice from experience?

Thanks.

2002? prescribed Zoloft.  

#461 herewego

herewego

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 September 2016 - 01:45 PM

I just read an interesting article yesterday on cortisol. Apparently our circadian clock, a 24 hour hormone cycle generally regulated by sunlight, releases cortisol 3 times per day. The article said we release cortisol at roughly around 8 or 9am, then again around noon or 1pm, and then one more time around 5:30 or 6:30pm. I am guessing it is probably different for different people as some may have darker rooms to sleep in ect... plus I am thinking winter and summer may be different as well with sunlight at different times. I also found this interesting because we use melatonin to help reset our circadian clock when our sleep is out of whack.
I also wonder if this is why we often feel better by evening - no more cortisol spikes. Could this also be when people often have panic attacks in the morning or during the day during one of the cortisol releases? Something to think about.
Medicine History
June 2011 I was put on 10 mg Olanzapine. I stayed on that for 7 months then went down to 5 mg for 3 months and then went down to 2.5mg and slowly went down to less than .3 every few days. I have tried to come off 4 times, each time getting down to less than .3 before having to go back on at 5mg or 2.5mg. I would cut by 50% each taper. From Jan 2015 to June 2015 I reduced from about 5mg to .3 mg. This last time I went on 2.5 mg last June 2015 until July 2, 2016. July 3, 2016 I went down to 1.25mg - withdrawal hit. Up dosed to liquid 2 mg July 23, 2016.
Medicine Current
2 mg Olanzapine as of July 23, 2016
Supplements
Omega 3 1000mg, Vitamin E 400 UI, Vitamin C 1000 mg Time Released, 200 mg Magnesium Bisglycinate, Multi Probiotic, .25 mg melatonin for 3-5 days as needed

#462 pete333

pete333

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 01 October 2016 - 07:49 AM

I just read an interesting article yesterday on cortisol. Apparently our circadian clock, a 24 hour hormone cycle generally regulated by sunlight, releases cortisol 3 times per day. The article said we release cortisol at roughly around 8 or 9am, then again around noon or 1pm, and then one more time around 5:30 or 6:30pm. I am guessing it is probably different for different people as some may have darker rooms to sleep in ect... plus I am thinking winter and summer may be different as well with sunlight at different times. I also found this interesting because we use melatonin to help reset our circadian clock when our sleep is out of whack.
I also wonder if this is why we often feel better by evening - no more cortisol spikes. Could this also be when people often have panic attacks in the morning or during the day during one of the cortisol releases? Something to think about.

Very good to know.

I wake with gritted teeth and clenched fists some times, but not full blown anxiety, just nervousness.  but sometimes anxiety.                                      

This was especially bad as I tried to get my sleep schedule fixed.

Walking makes me feel a little better but weirdly has upset my sleep even if not done late?

Thanks for your time.

2002? prescribed Zoloft.  

#463 Spacely

Spacely

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 04 November 2016 - 03:46 PM

Hello. I was wondering if there's a running list of things people have tried, with some success, to calm the racing heart you get when waking up? Thanks so much!

#464 ChessieCat

ChessieCat

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 2,979 posts
  • LocationSydney Australia

Posted 04 November 2016 - 04:04 PM

Hi Spacely,

I suggest you start an Intro/Update topic for yourself so we can get to know you better and find out some additional information about your drug history.  This will help us answer your question.

introductions-and-updates     Click on Start New Topic, top right

Please also complete your drug signature which will appear every time you post.  Please put your Withdrawal History in Signature.  Please include details for the last 12-18 months of  all drugs, dates, doses and discontinuations & reinstatements.  If you can't remember dates, please write it as "early March" or "mid-August".  Please provide a summary of any drugs prior to that which can just be listed with start and stop years. Please include all prescription, non-prescription drugs and supplements you are currently taking.

Podcasts:    Let's Talk Withdrawal

Antidepressants:  25 years - 1 unknown, Prozac (caused muscle weakness), Zoloft; Cipramil CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks soon after)

Pristiq:  50mg mid 2012, 100mg beg 2014 (mild Serotonin Toxicity)     Current:  Pristiq 25mg (from 21 April 2017)

Tapering history & graph

My website - includes my brief history + links to videos & information on the web

I've still got a way to go ... but I've already come a long way!!!

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.

#465 Petunia

Petunia

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 4,668 posts
  • LocationAU

Posted 04 November 2016 - 11:36 PM

Hello. I was wondering if there's a running list of things people have tried, with some success, to calm the racing heart you get when waking up? Thanks so much!

Slow, controlled breathing exercises worked for me.  Try these topics:  Irregular heartbeats, palpitations, tachycardia, bradycardia ...

Pranayama or Yoga (Yogic) Breathing - Surviving Antidepressants

As Chessie requested, it would be great if you started an introduction thread for yourself.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety)

Xanax PRN

Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes animal25.gif

Supplements which seem to help:  High doses of Vitamin C, Magnesium, Garlic and Ginger.  Taurine, Vit D3, L-Theanine and Inositol. I'm one of the rare people who react badly to fish oil.

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

#466 lexhex

lexhex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationPhoenix AZ

Posted 06 November 2016 - 10:56 AM

The racing heart symptom was the most frustrating for me. And took the longest to abate. I still have some issues in the morning, even though I'm now light years away from the horrors I was experiencing a couple of years ago. I relied on Taurine for a LONG time. I took a pure 500mg supplement with no other components for about two years. I traded in my 25 mg a day Metoprolol beta blocker (crosses the BBB and gave me nightmares) for a low dose 12.5 mg Atenolol a day beta blocker (does not cross the BBB) and found almost immediate relief. I no longer need the Taurine. The Atenolol is enough to keep the crazy at bay, it has no psychotropic effects, I exercise every day, I don't have panic attacks any more, and I can sleep.

Here's what I avoid: (starred items I NEVER touch.)

Sugar

Refined carbohydrates*

Cake

Cookies

Some Complex Carbohydrates

No wheat products

Caffeine*

Short term low dose Klonopin use back in 2004
Acute, protracted withdrawal after discontinuing
Began Lexapro in 2005 to ease Benzo withdrawal
Took 2 years to stabilize
Rapid taper from Lexapro in July/August 2012
Return of anxiety, insomnia and cardiac issues
Failed reinstatement early August 2012
Acute withdrawal for 9 months; intermittent symptoms for another 6

Relief on February 9, 2014 after addition of Taurine

Almost complete remission of symptoms w/addition of 12.5mg Atenolol daily

#467 lexhex

lexhex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationPhoenix AZ

Posted 06 November 2016 - 11:04 AM

No pasta

No bread

No oatmeal

No cereal

No bananas

NO Processed foods* (anything that comes out of a BOX) (unless its organic)

NO soda - diet or otherwise*

NO alcohol*

I do NOT eat after 7pm. EVER. It is a guarantee that I will sleep poorly and wake up with anxiety if I do. The body spends all night digesting when it should be resting.

Being highly disciplined has kept me on the recovery track.

Short term low dose Klonopin use back in 2004
Acute, protracted withdrawal after discontinuing
Began Lexapro in 2005 to ease Benzo withdrawal
Took 2 years to stabilize
Rapid taper from Lexapro in July/August 2012
Return of anxiety, insomnia and cardiac issues
Failed reinstatement early August 2012
Acute withdrawal for 9 months; intermittent symptoms for another 6

Relief on February 9, 2014 after addition of Taurine

Almost complete remission of symptoms w/addition of 12.5mg Atenolol daily

#468 Spacely

Spacely

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 06 November 2016 - 12:03 PM

lexhex ... we are similar.

I have been on Klonopin for generalized anxiety for 20 years. Ramped slowly from .5mg to 3mg. Then it stopped working. Even did the opposite. So, I cut down to 1mg / day with the help of Gabapentin. Then cold turkey off the G.P. and I remain on 1mg Klonopin. Been in that state for 4 months. But promptly at 4am, I wake with a racing heart, and if I try to go back to sleep, I get fear pangs in my chest. So I end that by getting up. I do get 2 sleeps (~5hours). But never the 3rd sleep. I guess I'm stuck like that for a while. I want that to end before I continue the ramp-off of the rest of Klonopin.

Similarities:

- If I eat a heavy dinner, my heart will race literally ALL NIGHT. Until the alarm. Especially pizza or beer. Tough for a guy :)

- I rarely have that kind of dinner anymore, and when I skip dinner all together, I notice I do sleep a bit better. Just a bit.

- Love cake, cookies ... have cereal every morning. From a box.

- I have a banana every day for lunch. Why not?

- Yea, I need some coffee during the day. Maybe 2 half cups. Is it still in me at 4am?

Is Atenolol made for people with heart disease? I'm a skinny 50 year old, but if that's something to look into, I could mention it.

I'm willing to pop out of bed at 4am for the rest of my life, rather than go back to any Benzo.

Thanks for the tips.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: circadian rhythm, cortisol, morning anxiety