If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Waking with panic or anxiety -- managing cortisol spikes

circadian rhythm cortisol morning anxiety

• Please log in to reply
495 replies to this topic

#469 lexhex

lexhex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationPhoenix AZ

Posted 06 November 2016 - 04:41 PM

The reason why you're still not ok is because of the klonopin. Once it goes paradoxical, no amount you take will work. It becomes stimulating rather than calming. The only way to move past it is to stop it. But even 1mg is too strong to CT from. The anxiety and racing heart will absolutely get worse as will your insomnia, loss of appetite and early morning revele. The only way I was able to get off it was a week in a treatment center with phenobarbital.

You do not need to have a heart problem or high bmoood pressure to take a low dose beta blocker. At very small doses it dramatically reduces rapid heart rates, anxiety, panic, shakiness and all the other symptoms associated with an overactive sympathetic nervous system. It is non addictive, and doesn't change your brain chemistry. However like any receptor based drug, you have to come off it slowly to give the adrenergic receptors a chance to down regulate.

Finally, if you really expect any improvement, a lifestyle change is absolutely necessary. If you're eating like crap, drinking, and generally treating your body like a dumping ground, nothing will change. Period. And anyone who tells you differently is lying. Not every symptom you have is withdrawal related. Many are, but it can't be used as a blanket excuse for everything that ails.

Bananas have a **** ton of sugar. Carbs become maltose, galactose and fructose. Yes, more sugar. And guess what that alcohol becomes? You guessed it... more sugar.

Rethink the diet, dump the booze and the crap and figure out a way to kill the klonopin. Talk to your doctor about atenolol to bridge the racing heart and anxiety gap. My guess is it will help.

Short term low dose Klonopin use back in 2004
Acute, protracted withdrawal after discontinuing
Began Lexapro in 2005 to ease Benzo withdrawal
Took 2 years to stabilize
Rapid taper from Lexapro in July/August 2012
Return of anxiety, insomnia and cardiac issues
Failed reinstatement early August 2012
Acute withdrawal for 9 months; intermittent symptoms for another 6

Relief on February 9, 2014 after addition of Taurine

Almost complete remission of symptoms w/addition of 12.5mg Atenolol daily

#470 Lexy

Lexy

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 December 2016 - 08:31 AM

I have been waking up with anxiety however it gets progressively worse after 1pm it doesn't let up until after 8-9 pm.
Basically my wd symptom seem to get worse in the evenings.
Started Effexor August 2012 Sept'12-150mg=extreme anxiety Oct'12 cut half-75mg severe wds
Feb 2013 68.5mg. Mar'13- 65mg. Apr'13-59mg. May'13-57mg. June '13-52mg Aug'13 49.75mg.
Sep'13-48.75. Nov'13-47mg Dec'13-45..5mg
May 2014 42mg. Jun'14 40mg (depressive mood started). Aug'14 -40mg/ started brintellix 2.5mg
Oct '14 -39 Nov'14 36.89 Dec'14 34.45
Jan 2015- 31 Feb'15 29mg. Mar'15 26.72. Apr'15 24.48. May'15 22.31mg. Jun'15 20.30mg
Aug'15-18.89. Oct'15 16.96. Nov/16- 16.10. Dec/15- 15mg
Jan 2016-14.22. May'16 11.45. Aug'16-9.60. Sep/16- 8.88mg. Oct/16- 8.39mg. Nov/16- 8.13. Dec/16- 7.89

#471 Lawyerliz

Lawyerliz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationMerritt Island Florida.

Posted 27 December 2016 - 10:35 AM

Wow. That's me.

#472 Lawyerliz

Lawyerliz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationMerritt Island Florida.

Posted 27 December 2016 - 10:39 AM

I get better as the day goes on, that is. Newbie. Can I edit my posts?

#473 Panicpax

Panicpax

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationSaudi arabia

Posted 31 December 2016 - 05:49 AM

Hi everybody this is my first reply on this website.
Been on Paxil 9 years and tried twice tapering ( last time with liquid but failed at 1.6mg down from 20mg over 2 years) that was 3 years ago. I didn't know WD causes these morning wakeup and I was fooled by my psychiatrist that it's a relapse.. 3 years later today I tapered again after being on 20mg 1 year and am at 3.5mg now and facing the same but when I up dose 0.2 or 0.1 it disappears so I know know it's WD.

So my strategy now is to try to decrease this WD symptom ( panic and the insomnia is the only one I get nothing else ) by trying vit C and 1.5MG per kg of aspirin before sleep to decrease the cortisol... this will take 1 week to start seeing the results as per studies on pub med.

I'm an oncology surgeon myself and am a victim of paxil.

I will let u guys know if it worked as I go down further in the coming weeks and hopefully of in the month to come ( slow taper)

Happy I found this website.

october 31st 2007

panic attacks after the trying ambien and recovering from the flu 

paxil 20mg by a psychaitrist 

2 attempts to stop

1st down to 10 then over night switch to prozac ( 2 weeks later total WD relieved after 7 weeks 1 hour after taking 10 of paxil again)

2nd tapered with liquid over 2 year ( down to 1.6mg) then doctor mistaked WD with relapse)( didnt go slow enogh and on 20mg with klonopin 1mg

klonopin only 5 month( made liquid and got off)

3rd attemp now

liquid over 2 years reached 3.6mg

my way (0.2mg down a week ) now stuck nd need to go slower.

#474 scallywag

scallywag

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:17 PM

Panicpax -- Please consider starting an introduction topic for yourself. That will be the best place to provide you with relevant links and information and to answer your questions.

Link to start a new topic for yourself in the Introductions and updates forum

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results
Cymbalta (brand name), 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 20 mg to 7 mg in 2016, taper details in this post;
2017: 7.0 (65 beads) Dec.10; 6.3 (58 beads) Feb. 1;
Current dose: 5.6 mg (52 beads) 2017-Feb-22
+ Supplements: fish oil (1500 mg EPA/500 mg DHA), Vitamins: D3, K2, C; Minerals: Mg, Se, Cr, I, V
scallywag's Introduction Post
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

#475 Dez

Dez

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationAlabama/Florida, USA

Posted 31 December 2016 - 03:11 PM

I've never had anxiety or panic attacks until I tried getting on Celexa again. Now I'm a mess. For awhile the Buspirone helped, but once I tried Venlafaxine it was a huge mistake. Now today I woke up with a panic attack and have been fighting the anxiety, racing heart, and headaches all day. Even having bad thoughts today, so I'm sure it's WD symptoms.

Ate a cutie and will try to drink some OJ in a moment to see if it helps. Can't get tablets currently so it'll be a good chance to try food and drink first. Still taking the Buspirone until I can get stable enough to stop taking it.

So...what does "stable" feel like when going through all this?
- 2010 Fluoxetine 20mg (no issues, did well)
- Mid 2012 Switched to Celexa 20mg (no issues with switch)
- 6/16 Stopped Celexa (always took med once every other day, tapered to once every three days for about a week and a half, took one a week for one week, no problems)
- 10/20/16 Started Celexa 20mg (next day had panic attacks, stopped after three days, kept having panic attacks and anxiety rest of the month)
- 10/28/16 Started Paxil 20mg (took for almost a week, had suicidal thoughts/severe derealization, tapered off to one every other day for a few days)
- 12/8/16 Buspirone 5mg twice daily (felt drowsy but kept anxiety under wraps, still taking it)
- 12/27/16 Venlafaxine XR 37.5mg (took two days, migraine first day, headache all day second day, third day had severe depression/outbursts of crying, couldn't stop most of the day, bad invasive thoughts, never took third dose because of it)
- 1/7/17 taper Buspirone 20% (miscalculation but doing well)

* Aromatherapy 100% oils in diffuser every night *

#476 lexhex

lexhex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationPhoenix AZ

Posted 01 January 2017 - 02:26 PM

Same thing happened to me when I stopped taking the Lexapro and then tried to reinstate at full dosage 3 months later. I had begun experiencing intermittent, but escalating withdrawal panic which is what prompted me to attempt reinstating. Rather than calming and stabilizing, the Lexapro threw my sympathetic nervous system into overdrive. Like you, I made the mistake of trying to go right back to my original dose. Even when I tried to step it back down to 2.5mg so I could try to ramp up slowly, my body just wasn't having it. I couldn't get the heart rate under control, I had unrelenting diarrhea, agonizing insomnia, complete loss of appetite, a resurgence of latent agoraphobia, and a total disappearance of self empowerment. All of my symptoms were acutely visceral and not remotely psychological. I wasn't mentally anxious, I was overwhelmed by constant surges of adrenaline which kept me mobilized constantly but absolutely exhausted. Even reading or listening to music was impossible. (Music is still a problem early in the day - later on its fine.)

You ask what stable feels like when you're going through this. Stable feels like you felt when the drug was working. Every person is different, but it took me two years to get past the worst of the physical symptoms. Many of them were exacerbated by food choices which I detailed in an earlier post. Sugar and carbs are the absolute enemy. Ditto for alcohol or caffeine.

The only supplements worth considering are Taurine and Magnesium. And in moderate doses. (There are multiple threads on the site about this - but there are excellent published studies that you can find on external resources that will provide a plethora of great info so you can make an informed decision.) Stick to information sources that have peer reviewed data and are based on clinical evidence. PubMed is good, the NIH.gov based sites are great.

Avoid megadoses of Vitamin C. It will just rip at your stomach and your body won't store it so it has little value except in small doses that would be found naturally in food. You may see recommendations for aspirin. Steer clear. Again, it will just rip at your stomach (because that's where it's absorbed), it will certainly thin your blood (which isn't a great idea) and its mechanism of action has no impact on the sympathetic nervous system so any touted benefits stem from desperate attempts at relief.

The best thing you can do is eat clean and be PATIENT. Try to get exercise if you can tolerate it. Start with stretching to relax everything down a bit. This process is a long drawn out drag, but it is temporary -- Although I know that in the moment - it seems endless and tortuous.

#477 Dez

Dez

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 02:55 PM

Lexhex,

Thank you for your insight and the information you provided. Today I had a window and tried doing things around the house, which was rather difficult with dizziness and the endless throat tightness that makes me feel like I'm going to freak out or hyperventilate. It's more annoying than anything.

The last month has been hard to have a good diet since I've been spending the holidays with my mother (she can't really afford much and is disabled, long complicated story) but I should be going back to a good diet soon when I go back to my own house.

Alcohol and caffeine have never been a problem, as I despise the flavor of both (except things like green tea and the like), but sugar will be difficult to give up as well as carbs. I'll do my best to give them up, do you have any recommendations or advice on healthy eating, like which foods are best to eat or avoid (certain fruits or vegetables, is soy milk okay???)
- 6/16 Stopped Celexa (always took med once every other day, tapered to once every three days for about a week and a half, took one a week for one week, no problems)
- 10/20/16 Started Celexa 20mg (next day had panic attacks, stopped after three days, kept having panic attacks and anxiety rest of the month)
- 10/28/16 Started Paxil 20mg (took for almost a week, had suicidal thoughts/severe derealization, tapered off to one every other day for a few days)
- 12/8/16 Buspirone 5mg twice daily (felt drowsy but kept anxiety under wraps, still taking it)
- 12/27/16 Venlafaxine XR 37.5mg (took two days, migraine first day, headache all day second day, third day had severe depression/outbursts of crying, couldn't stop most of the day, bad invasive thoughts, never took third dose because of it)

#478 lexhex

lexhex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationPhoenix AZ

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:16 PM

Because you are relatively young, the soy milk should be fine, although IMHO, almond milk is a better choice. (no phytoestrogens to impact the hormones)

As far as nutritional advice, the best advice I can offer is this: if it comes in a box AND they make commercials for it - don't eat it. Stick to whole foods. Berries are great. Cheese sticks. Hard boiled eggs as snacks. Lean turkey slices. Carrots and celery with a bit of ranch dressing. Sliced apples.

If you like veggies, boil them just enough to get the hardness out, then sautee them in olive oil with salt and parmesan. (Great for broccoli and green beans) If you like brussels, add BACON. Nothing with bacon ever tastes bad. Lol. Toss them in a bowl and just pick.

Lean proteins are best. Chicken, turkey, fish, maybe 2 ounces at a time. How you cook it isn't important.

Carbs: Nothing refined. No bread, cookies, pasta, crackers, cake, cereal.

Instead try: rice (white), quinoa, sweet potatoes, very small white potatoes, smashed cauliflower (with parmesan and butter)

Graze. Avoid heavy, big meals at one time. Do nothing to overload the system or make it work harder. No more than 200 calories at a time worked for me to keep my body from being angry. I ate 6 times a day, but I had far fewer digestive and cardiac issues than when I tried to do the breakfast/lunch/dinner thing.

This is just off the top of my head. You should notice an immediate calming of your body once the sugar and carbs are out.

#479 Dez

Dez

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:23 PM

Wow, such great advice! Most of the foods you listed to eat are things I love! Was definitely worried about rice, as it's a large part of my diet, being interested in the Japanese culture and frequently finding recipes to make.

Thank you so much for your input. It makes me feel more confident already. Do you think yogurts could help fight anxiety as well or are dairy products just a no go? Do you have issues with those?

#480 lexhex

lexhex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationPhoenix AZ

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:31 PM

I tend to get lactose intolerant with milk - but yogurt is fine. Fage is a good choice. Plain - and throw in some fresh fruit - if you need sweet, pick up packets of Stevia in the raw. No foods will eliminate the anxiety - but avoiding certain foods will dramatically reduce it.

What meds are you currently still on?

#481 Dez

Dez

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:33 PM

Currently still on Buspirone 5mg twice daily. Trying to stabilize myself until I can wean off of it. Still fighting the problems from previous antidepressants.

#482 lexhex

lexhex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationPhoenix AZ

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:40 PM

Does it help?

#483 Dez

Dez

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:43 PM

I believe so? Hard to tell because of going off Venlafaxine. The panic does seem better today so I think the Venlafaxine is wearing off, but still have that weird throat tightness of panic.

#484 lexhex

lexhex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationPhoenix AZ

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:46 PM

Effexor (venlafaxine) is VERY stimulating. No wonder you were stuck to the ceiling. It should be out now though. Drink plenty of water to keep things moving along. Besides the intrusive thoughts, what's the most troublesome symptom - the one you want gone.

#485 Dez

Dez

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:50 PM

Besides the intrusive thoughts, I'd say the panic/anxiety/rapid heart beat. They're all kinda going hand in hand and it's scary and frustrating because when I try to be somewhat physical then the throat tightening starts which tries to send me into a panic.

Derealization can come next in line after those.

#486 lexhex

lexhex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationPhoenix AZ

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:50 PM

The rapid heartbeat was my biggest issue. I experienced every symptom you have and in the same order. Lost 20 pounds in just a couple of months, no appetite, no sleep, and that racing heart that drove me INSANE. I spent so much time in the ER they knew me by name.

The Taurine helped me turn the corner. The beta blocker was the real game changer however. I take a very low dose of Atenolol. (12.5mg a day). No more racing heart. No more physical symptoms of anxiety. Back in control. Almost nonexistent side effects because of low dose. I don't care if I have to take it the rest of my life. I'd rather have peace.

#487 Dez

Dez

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:58 PM

I also lost a lot of weight and barely have an appetite. I'm scared of taking any other med and worried the Buspirone isn't working anymore, even just after a month of using it. I'm practically scared of everything and I was never like this until trying Celexa again. I'm nearly convinced I'll never get better.

#488 Hibari

Hibari

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 01 January 2017 - 06:25 PM

I have been using Vitamin C over the past 3 months to help with morning anxiety.   I feel it has helped quite a bit thought I have added more things as I have been able.  I space it out over the day so that I take it in increments so that I can absorb it, 50mgs up to 4,000mgs per day.   I also have started an adrenal support supplement and increased my Vitamin D after a blood test showed my levels were low.  

All throughout my wd I have taken L-Theanine for rebound anxiety.   Intially I took 200mgs 3 x a day but now as needed.   When I make a cut, which I recently did, I take it at night so that it can support me in terms of any residual anxiety.   

September 2013-April 2014: After the death of my mom in July 2012.-became very depressed in September of 2013. Given a series of antidepressants very quickly from about 4 different psychiatrists in a 4 month period. Each one was from 1 day to 10 days at the most. My body could not handle it-I had Zoloft 4 days, Lexapro-1 day, Nortriptyline-10 days, Liquid Prozac, 1 week, Cymbalta 1 week.

December 2013-September 2014: Put on Xanax after a reaction to the Lexapro, averaging .50-1mg per day. Switched to Clonazepam-midway averaging about 0.25-0.50 daily.

June 2014: Jan/Feb 2015: Put on 7.5 Remeron titrate up to 41.25mgs 

September 2014-July 2015: Put on 25mgs of Lamictal titrate up to 200mgs daily. Also stopped the Clonzepam- never felt the wd I had experienced when I tried to stop it before (knowing nothing about withdrawal) because the Lamictal calmed me down.

Currently: Tapering both medications together using micro cuts. Started tapering Remeron in January 2015,  Started tapering Lamictal July 2015 Main wd symptoms-sweating, nausea, headaches, deep crying, anxiety. 12/21 Remeron 1.6 Lamictal 22.50 mgs 1/19/17 Remeron 1.2mgs, Lamictal 22.50mg 2/12/17 Remeron 1.2 Lamictal 21.25 mgs.

Additional Support: Acupuncture with Reflexology, Alanon, L-Theanine for anxiety as needed, Estradial patch 0.025, Bio-indentical Progesterone cream 150-200  Armour Thyroid 90mgs.

#489 Dez

Dez

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 06:29 PM

Hibari,

I will look into the L-Theanine as well. I know I tried oranges and orange juice first but wow, my stomach didn't like that! Hour anything else I try won't be too bad and add more.

I'm glad you find comfort somehow and hope you continue to get better!

#490 Panicpax

Panicpax

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationSaudi arabia

Posted 02 January 2017 - 05:18 AM

Asprin taken at night was proven by multiple studies to decrease cortisol spikes especially in the morning.
Take coated ones... if you go by the review that coated doesn't matter then a littlw vit C protects the stomach from any Asprin irritation.. again my stomach ain't senti site to aspirin but to vit C a bit growling yeah.

Aspirin 1.5mg per kilo ( so the 100mg for an average person) shows benefit only if taken at bedtime and for results take 1 week to show.

Istarted yesterday ..ill try it and see.

october 31st 2007

panic attacks after the trying ambien and recovering from the flu 

paxil 20mg by a psychaitrist 

2 attempts to stop

1st down to 10 then over night switch to prozac ( 2 weeks later total WD relieved after 7 weeks 1 hour after taking 10 of paxil again)

2nd tapered with liquid over 2 year ( down to 1.6mg) then doctor mistaked WD with relapse)( didnt go slow enogh and on 20mg with klonopin 1mg

klonopin only 5 month( made liquid and got off)

3rd attemp now

liquid over 2 years reached 3.6mg

my way (0.2mg down a week ) now stuck nd need to go slower.

#491 Hibari

Hibari

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:12 PM

Hibari,

I will look into the L-Theanine as well. I know I tried oranges and orange juice first but wow, my stomach didn't like that! Hour anything else I try won't be too bad and add more.

I'm glad you find comfort somehow and hope you continue to get better!

Here is a link to the L-Theanine discussion in the Symptoms and Self-Care Forum.    http://survivinganti...insomnia/page-2

September 2013-April 2014: After the death of my mom in July 2012.-became very depressed in September of 2013. Given a series of antidepressants very quickly from about 4 different psychiatrists in a 4 month period. Each one was from 1 day to 10 days at the most. My body could not handle it-I had Zoloft 4 days, Lexapro-1 day, Nortriptyline-10 days, Liquid Prozac, 1 week, Cymbalta 1 week.

December 2013-September 2014: Put on Xanax after a reaction to the Lexapro, averaging .50-1mg per day. Switched to Clonazepam-midway averaging about 0.25-0.50 daily.

June 2014: Jan/Feb 2015: Put on 7.5 Remeron titrate up to 41.25mgs 

September 2014-July 2015: Put on 25mgs of Lamictal titrate up to 200mgs daily. Also stopped the Clonzepam- never felt the wd I had experienced when I tried to stop it before (knowing nothing about withdrawal) because the Lamictal calmed me down.

Currently: Tapering both medications together using micro cuts. Started tapering Remeron in January 2015,  Started tapering Lamictal July 2015 Main wd symptoms-sweating, nausea, headaches, deep crying, anxiety. 12/21 Remeron 1.6 Lamictal 22.50 mgs 1/19/17 Remeron 1.2mgs, Lamictal 22.50mg 2/12/17 Remeron 1.2 Lamictal 21.25 mgs.

Additional Support: Acupuncture with Reflexology, Alanon, L-Theanine for anxiety as needed, Estradial patch 0.025, Bio-indentical Progesterone cream 150-200  Armour Thyroid 90mgs.

#492 KtKat

KtKat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia, Australia

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:12 PM

Asprin taken at night was proven by multiple studies to decrease cortisol spikes especially in the morning.
Take coated ones... if you go by the review that coated doesn't matter then a littlw vit C protects the stomach from any Asprin irritation.. again my stomach ain't senti site to aspirin but to vit C a bit growling yeah.
Aspirin 1.5mg per kilo ( so the 100mg for an average person) shows benefit only if taken at bedtime and for results take 1 week to show.
Istarted yesterday ..ill try it and see.

Have you had any luck with the aspirin in the past weej?
Started 10mg Escitalopram March 2013
Stopped Escitalopram cold turkey December 2013 (Unsuccessfully)
Restarted 10mg Escitalopram February 2014
Started tapering May 2016 - 5mg
Estimated drops - 4mg, 3mg, 2.5mgOctober 2016 - 1.25mg
Stopped 19 Dec 2016
Withdrawals from 27 December - Anxiety, Insomnia, Nausea, Diarrhea, Headache (1 day), inc heart rate
7 Jan 2017 reinstated 1mg/day escitalopram

#493 peng

peng

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationS. Queensferry, West Lothian, Scotland

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:49 PM

This seems to be a very common symptom of withdrawal syndrome. Many people report waking up with a surge of panic or anxiety, or a feeling of anxiety early in the morning. A lot of times, people are waking around 4:30 a.m. or closer to dawn. The first glimmers of morning light signal the nervous system to start the morning cycle with a jump in cortisol. At normal levels, cortisol gives you energy. At elevated levels, cortisol gives you a feeling of unease, anxiety, panic, or depression. When you have withdrawal syndrome, your system is on "high alert" all the time. The normal morning peak of cortisol gets exaggerated and what you would normally feel as "wake up" becomes a surge of panic, anxiety, or dread in the early morning.

For myself, in 1977, it was a sign of my becoming ill.  Sometimes even awakening from a deep sleep and startled at 2 am.

"Early waking with anxiety" was often described as one of the symptoms of clinical depression then.  Still is?

I was not withdrawing from anything - I had not been on any medication whatsoever, apart from the odd couple of paracetamol a few times a year and anti-histamine for annual hay fever. 

I was cracking up after 12 years of shift work and 2 relocations..

Indeed, 40 years later I am still unwell, on antidepressants, but have not had those particular symptoms since before I became ill, and then when I weaned off the benzo ativan, given to treat my illness. (c1977-85-ish.)

All still survivable, though, having kept a responsible job position until I was 57 and having raised 3 children and paid for house.

Carry on, carrying on and hope for some light now and again, folks.

Love & Best wishes all.

1977 - Collapse of health at 32 after 12 years of irregular and stressful shift work. 1977-84Ativan, then 1984-2002 Anafranil.  2002-13 – Effexor XL 150-187.5mg.

2014 Jan -2016 Jun. Had to raise Effexor to 225mg due external crisis.  Chronic fatigue, tiredness and low mood.  Felt I had reached a brick wall as far as medication went.

2016/6 - Went to see different GP.  Later, blood tests, he prescribed 5mg Folic acid/225mg Effexor for now.

2016 17Jun - Feeling better within a couple of days.  (Due Folic Acid, I am guessing. Unbelievable, I'm cautious, though.)  2016 13Jul  -  212.5mg Effexor. (-5.5%). 2016  6Aug  - 200.0mg Effexor. (-5.9%)

2016 24Aug - 187.5mg Effexor. (-6.3%). 2016 13Sep – 175.0mg Effexor (-6.7% .   Folic acid finished after 80 days.  Feeling best for a couple of years. 2016 22Sep – GP Prescribed 5mg Folic Acid/day tfn.

2016 3Oct   - 162.5mg Effexor (-7.1%)  7mg Omeprazole.   2016 15Oct -disappointing to hit extreme fatigue again after 3.5 months, by 23Oct not bad again, despite having cold and old familiar sinusitis.

2016 26Oct - 150mg Effexor (-7.7%). 3mg Omeprazole.  2016 31Oct - 2mg Omeprazole, off 5mg Folic Acid.  2016 7Nov - ZERO Omeprazole.

2017 9Jan - 150mg Effexor.  Stalled at this dose for over 2 months.  Will only resume later in year when mood lifts.

Current other meds/Supps/Vits

1200mg EPA /day - 280mg Magnesium Malate - half-one daily multivit "for over 70s" - Honey instead of table sugar in tea and coffee, wef Oct16 and after taking sugar nearly all my life.

#494 Hopeinahpwr

Hopeinahpwr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:36 AM

I've definitely experienced the morning jitters/anxiety too. It lasted less than a month, but once I began to stabilize at my current dose, it stopped. Every once in a while I'll wake with a bit of anxiousness, or that just want to lay in bed all day feeling...but I use my CBT and realize that whatever negative thought or worry is making me feel that way is usually just a normal thought that everyone experiences at some point, and that helps me overcome the negative feelings and the anxiousness/un-motivation. 

On zoloft since 2000 for OCD/anxiety. Tapered off from 150mg to 100, 50, 25 over Dec/Jan 2015. After month n half off, began depression. Being terrified, as I never had depression before, after a few days, went back to 50mg, then five days later to 100mg. Now stable. I will stop this medication, with time and perseverance...my current taper level and timing are as follows, which includes No other Rx's, No alcohol, NEVER any illicit drugs:
    84mg from October 2016

82mg from February 2017

"Yesterday is History, Tomorrow a Mystery, Today is a Gift." - Eleanor Roosevelt 

"Forces beyond your control can take away everything you possess except one thing, your freedom to choose how you will respond to the situation."

- Viktor Frankl 

#495 Hopeinahpwr

Hopeinahpwr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:38 AM

God Bless Peng! Thanks for the glimpse of reality and hope!!!!

Ben 

On zoloft since 2000 for OCD/anxiety. Tapered off from 150mg to 100, 50, 25 over Dec/Jan 2015. After month n half off, began depression. Being terrified, as I never had depression before, after a few days, went back to 50mg, then five days later to 100mg. Now stable. I will stop this medication, with time and perseverance...my current taper level and timing are as follows, which includes No other Rx's, No alcohol, NEVER any illicit drugs:
    84mg from October 2016

82mg from February 2017

"Yesterday is History, Tomorrow a Mystery, Today is a Gift." - Eleanor Roosevelt 

"Forces beyond your control can take away everything you possess except one thing, your freedom to choose how you will respond to the situation."

- Viktor Frankl 

#496 lexhex

lexhex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationPhoenix AZ

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:00 PM

Double blind clinical trial on aspirin. No effect on decreasing cortisol response. 

http://www.karger.co...Abstract/115783

Controlled clinical trials are the only way to determine whether or not a treatment is working. The anticoagulant effects of aspirin and its effects on the stomach (buffered or not) far outweigh any perceived benefit. Aspirin is always absorbed in the stomach lining, whether it is coated or uncoated. Make informed decisions using legitimate scientific resources to avoid doing more harm than good, especially when your bodies are already so hypersensitive to chemicals when you are in withdrawal.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: circadian rhythm, cortisol, morning anxiety