If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Waking with panic or anxiety -- managing cortisol spikes

circadian rhythm cortisol morning anxiety

• Please log in to reply
515 replies to this topic

#505 blazesboylan

blazesboylan

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 12 April 2017 - 12:17 PM

Hi Hibari,

Thanks very much for your advice. I have decided to give the l-theanine a shot. I managed to get some in a health food store today. It's quite expensive actually. Anyway, if I continue to use it I may try to get some online. The capsules are 150 mg so I will take one at bedtime and another during the day. I will let you know how it goes.

I might get an eye mask also. It gets bright here now long before I actually wake up so that may be a factor. However, the anxiety in the mornings was pretty bad in earlier in the year also.

Thanks again and Happy Easter!

All the best,

Blazes.

Previously - zopiclone, risperidone, lyrica (pregabalin), ativan (lorezapam)

25/Jun/2016 -  80mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
04/Jul/2016 -  72mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
01/Aug/2016 -  65mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
12/Aug/2016 -  75mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
03/Oct/2016 -  70mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
29/Oct/2016 -  65mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
25/Nov/2016 -  65mg effexor, 4mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
25/Dec/2016 -  60mg effexor, 3.6mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
18/Jan/2017 -  60mg effexor, 5.25mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
27/Mar/2017 -  54mg effexor, 5.25mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
23/Apr/2017 -  54mg effexor, 7.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
09/May/2017 -  75mg effexor, 7.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine

Xanax as needed. Sometimes valium. Not daily.

Supplements - Magnesium, Omega-3, L-Theanine, Sterol and Stanols.

Note : I would really hope that nobody uses my tapering history as a guideline. It might not work well for somebody else tapering similar medications.

#506 Hibari

Hibari

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:15 PM

Yes, please let me know how it goes for you.  There is a thread on L-Theanine that I have commented on as well as others.  The mask was very helpful to me and even though it wasn't an immediate fix, I just noticed over time that it worked.  

Happy Easter to you too! 

September 2013-April 2014: After the death of my mom in July 2012.-became very depressed in September of 2013. Given a series of antidepressants very quickly from about 4 different psychiatrists in a 6 month period. Each one was from 1 day to 10 days at the most. My body could not handle it-I had Zoloft 6 days, Lexapro-1 day, Nortriptyline-10 days, Liquid Prozac, 1 week, Cymbalta 1 week.

December 2013-September 2014: Put on Xanax after a reaction to the Lexapro, averaging .50-1mg per day. Switched to Clonazepam-midway averaging about 0.25-0.50 daily.

June 2014: Jan/Feb 2015: Put on 7.5 Remeron titrate up to 41.25mgs

September 2014-July 2015: Put on 25mgs of Lamictal titrate up to 200mgs daily. Also stopped the Clonzepam- never felt the wd I had experienced when I tried to stop it before (knowing nothing about withdrawal) because the Lamictal calmed me down.

Currently: I tarted tapering Remeron from January 2015-April 2017-2 years, 3 months.  Started tapering Lamictal July 2015.  Tapered both medications together till I got to the lower doses of Remeron.   Main wd symptoms-sweating, nausea, headaches, deep crying, anxiety.

12/21/16 Remeron 1.6 Lamictal 22.50 mgs 1/19/17 Remeron 1.2mgs, Lamictal 22.50mg 2/12/17 Remeron 1.2 Lamictal 21.25 mgs 3/4/17 Remeron 0.85 Lamictal 21.25 3/14 Remeron 0.85 Lamictal 20mgs 3/22 Remeron 0.45 Lamictal 20mg 3/25 Remeron 0.45 Lamictal 18.75mgs 3/30 Remeron 0.025 4/7 Lamictal 18.75mgs Remeron 0.025 5/19/17 Lamictal 17.50

4/7/2017 Remeron Free stopped at 0.025mgs

Additional Support: Acupuncture with Reflexology, Alanon, L-Theanine for anxiety as needed, Estradial patch 0.025, Bio-indentical Progesterone cream 150-200 Armour Thyroid 90mgs.

#507 ShakeyJerr

ShakeyJerr

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:43 AM

Morning anxiety is my biggest problem right now. And it last pretty much all day! I do breathing exercises, self-talk, decaf black tea (for the theanine), magnesium, sunshine, prayer - but over the past few days, nothing seems to help.

I am fearful of adding any supplements right now - I seem to be hypersensitive. I had been taking fish oil, but then the anxiety wave started and I feared that the fish oil might be causing it.

I am suffering.

SJ

Link to my intro/main thread: http://survivinganti...jerr-say-hello/

Med History
Dates are tentative (my memory is shot)...

Prozac & Lithium from 1999 to 2003 (I don't remember the dosages). Went off but developed symptoms so put back on after 4 months.

Switched to Effexor (75mg 3/day) and Seroquel (50mg 3/day) some time in 2010 (I think). Did a self-taper during 2016 after losing insurance. Been off since around the beginning of 2017.

Developed Discontinuation Syndrome beginning with uncontrolled/unexplained crying in 02/17.

Moved on to full-blow symptoms from there. Been really bad since late 03/17.

#508 Hibari

Hibari

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:27 AM

I am one of those people who found that fish oil was making me a bit hyper.   Trust your instinct and see what happens if you eliminate it. 

September 2013-April 2014: After the death of my mom in July 2012.-became very depressed in September of 2013. Given a series of antidepressants very quickly from about 4 different psychiatrists in a 6 month period. Each one was from 1 day to 10 days at the most. My body could not handle it-I had Zoloft 6 days, Lexapro-1 day, Nortriptyline-10 days, Liquid Prozac, 1 week, Cymbalta 1 week.

December 2013-September 2014: Put on Xanax after a reaction to the Lexapro, averaging .50-1mg per day. Switched to Clonazepam-midway averaging about 0.25-0.50 daily.

June 2014: Jan/Feb 2015: Put on 7.5 Remeron titrate up to 41.25mgs

September 2014-July 2015: Put on 25mgs of Lamictal titrate up to 200mgs daily. Also stopped the Clonzepam- never felt the wd I had experienced when I tried to stop it before (knowing nothing about withdrawal) because the Lamictal calmed me down.

Currently: I tarted tapering Remeron from January 2015-April 2017-2 years, 3 months.  Started tapering Lamictal July 2015.  Tapered both medications together till I got to the lower doses of Remeron.   Main wd symptoms-sweating, nausea, headaches, deep crying, anxiety.

12/21/16 Remeron 1.6 Lamictal 22.50 mgs 1/19/17 Remeron 1.2mgs, Lamictal 22.50mg 2/12/17 Remeron 1.2 Lamictal 21.25 mgs 3/4/17 Remeron 0.85 Lamictal 21.25 3/14 Remeron 0.85 Lamictal 20mgs 3/22 Remeron 0.45 Lamictal 20mg 3/25 Remeron 0.45 Lamictal 18.75mgs 3/30 Remeron 0.025 4/7 Lamictal 18.75mgs Remeron 0.025 5/19/17 Lamictal 17.50

4/7/2017 Remeron Free stopped at 0.025mgs

Additional Support: Acupuncture with Reflexology, Alanon, L-Theanine for anxiety as needed, Estradial patch 0.025, Bio-indentical Progesterone cream 150-200 Armour Thyroid 90mgs.

#509 ShakeyJerr

ShakeyJerr

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:30 AM

I eliminated it over a week ago. But my anxiety has actually gotten much worse. I am thinking of adding a smaller dose back in, maybe trying to find a middle ground.

SJ

Link to my intro/main thread: http://survivinganti...jerr-say-hello/

Med History
Dates are tentative (my memory is shot)...

Prozac & Lithium from 1999 to 2003 (I don't remember the dosages). Went off but developed symptoms so put back on after 4 months.

Switched to Effexor (75mg 3/day) and Seroquel (50mg 3/day) some time in 2010 (I think). Did a self-taper during 2016 after losing insurance. Been off since around the beginning of 2017.

Developed Discontinuation Syndrome beginning with uncontrolled/unexplained crying in 02/17.

Moved on to full-blow symptoms from there. Been really bad since late 03/17.

#510 Spacely

Spacely

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:58 PM

I found just supplementing with Chamomile capsules helps. Just a few scattered throughout the day.

#511 blazesboylan

blazesboylan

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:40 PM

@Hibari - I have been taking the l-theanine (300 mgs a day) for almost two weeks now. I am finding that it isn't helping unfortunately. Well, maybe a little bit. Although the anxiety been pretty bad for the past week or so.

I bought a night mask also. I am finding that it isn't making much difference. However, I do find that I have a much easier time waking up rather that sleeping through the alarm like I used to.

So, I decided to increase my olanzapine back up to the dose I am prescribed - 2.5 mg in the morning and 5 mg at night. My signature has been updated accordingly. I suppose that I am throwing in the towel on that front in some ways. However, maybe I should just focus on eliminating the Effexor completely because that may be causing some or a lot of the agitation.

I had a blood test recently and everything is fine apart from some heightened cholesterol. There's always the fear of developing tardive dyskinesia as I am well in my 40s now. Olanzapine is supposed to help with anxiety though.

I am studying at the moment as well as working full-time. I have exams coming up so I am busy studying etc.

I hope that everyone is doing well.

All the best,

Blazes.

Previously - zopiclone, risperidone, lyrica (pregabalin), ativan (lorezapam)

25/Jun/2016 -  80mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
04/Jul/2016 -  72mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
01/Aug/2016 -  65mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
12/Aug/2016 -  75mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
03/Oct/2016 -  70mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
29/Oct/2016 -  65mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
25/Nov/2016 -  65mg effexor, 4mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
25/Dec/2016 -  60mg effexor, 3.6mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
18/Jan/2017 -  60mg effexor, 5.25mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
27/Mar/2017 -  54mg effexor, 5.25mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
23/Apr/2017 -  54mg effexor, 7.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
09/May/2017 -  75mg effexor, 7.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine

Xanax as needed. Sometimes valium. Not daily.

Supplements - Magnesium, Omega-3, L-Theanine, Sterol and Stanols.

Note : I would really hope that nobody uses my tapering history as a guideline. It might not work well for somebody else tapering similar medications.

#512 flatrock

flatrock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationFlat Rock, MI

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:12 AM

Hi, Shep just linked me to this thread.

So so so glad I found it! Yes, i have the morning anxiety/dread/hyped up bad feelings. I've been wondering what it's all about. It helps just to know, for starters. It tends to feel like some kind of personality flaw, like, What's the matter with me that I can't be happy to get out of bed? So now I can just say Hello corisol spike. Since I'm retired, I'm able to do relatively soothing morning things, although little really helps. It seems to need a few hours to settle down. Sigh.

My overall diagnosis is fibromyalgia. I'm 63 yrs old and feeling weary!

Current: .75 Klonopin (chlonazepam), took it many years for restless legs, then increased amount for anxiety, now tapered back down. For a couple of months my psychiatrist pushed me up to 2.0 in an effort to stop tremor symptoms but it didn't help, so slowly, 1/4 pill at a time (a .5 pill), got down to .75. My psychiatrist is being supportive about my quitting Klonopin at whatever pace I'm comfortable with.

4/29/2017 was my last 1/4 pill reduction.

5/11/17: taking .25@11am, .5@11pm.  

5/20/17: TAPERING BY WEIGHT NOW:   .163g @11pm (was .166) AND .081@11am (was .083)

PREVIOUS: In August 2016, after some stressful life changes, my Klonopin use went up to about 4.0. New dr jerked me down from 4.0 to 1 mg, then grudgingly gave me 1.5 mg while awaiting psychiatrist appt. I'm still suffering from that sudden extreme withdrawal. Plus I was put on and taken off of many other meds those first couple of months: Tizanadine, Remeron, Lexapro, Wellbutrin. A bad time in my life.  CURRENT: Cymbalta 60mg. I'll probably be reducing this later. I use medical marijuana as needed. I take fish oil, and magnesium.

#513 SkyBlue

SkyBlue

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • LocationMinnesota, U.S.

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:56 AM

Flatrock, definitely it helps to know what it is. And it's not a personality flaw. (Although I can relate to that kind of thinking -- hopefully withdrawal can help us all become more kind to ourselves.)

I didn't have a spike this morning and don't really know why. It was nice! 

I see in your signature that you use magnesium -- I've found that taking part of my dose immediately upon waking has been helpful.

Long story short: After 18 years on Paxil, "tapered" in July 2015 from 20 to 10 to 5 mg in a month, at doctor's advice. = Essentially a cold-turkey.

*Current*: March: 0.82 mg Paxil. Jan 1:  .88 mg, baby!! …. August 31: Less than 1mg Paxil! ... July 30: 1 mg Paxil! ! ! And 100 mg Zoloft unfortunately!!  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Paxil since 1996--anxiety & depression likely caused by (then-undiagnosed) under-eating / eating disorder. 

Rapid "taper" July 2015 and started Zoloft as a "cross-taper". Feb 2016: Found SA!! As of June 2016: Doing 2% cuts (Brassmonkey Slide!). 

Now: fish oil, magnesium; protein; exercise; healthy fats; acupuncture, meditation, & a new doctor.  I am in recovery from an eating disorder!!!  ***Have you had a sleep study?***    *Feel free to message me if I don't respond to a forum thread.* 

#514 flatrock

flatrock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationFlat Rock, MI

Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:40 PM

Flatrock, definitely it helps to know what it is. And it's not a personality flaw. (Although I can relate to that kind of thinking -- hopefully withdrawal can help us all become more kind to ourselves.)

I see in your signature that you use magnesium -- I've found that taking part of my dose immediately upon waking has been helpful.

Hey Sky, yeah, I'm an "expert" at being hard on myself!

How nice that you didn't have a spike this morning, yay you. Maybe re the magnesium... it's a really gigantic pill, and I'd hate to have to swallow that first thing. Maybe I'll get a smaller pill of magn.

Today was a rough day for me, all fricking day, woke up with the spike and it stayed all day. My policy is to fake it til I make it, meaning I act like I'm fine all day and when I'm around people. Don't know if that approach is helping me or not! Maybe "fake it til you make it" backfires? But at least I'm not complaining to anybody and everybody.

If I wake up with the anxiety and dread tomorrow morning, I'm considering going right into an epsom salt bath, with black tea to drink. Or somebody on this thread uses ice packs and hot packs, something to distract the body. If I didn't hate running, I'd consider running first thing to shake it off maybe. Get some running clothes laid out, sneakers and socks ready. Sigh. 

It's always this thing when I first wake up... How am I? How am I feeling? What kind of morning will this be? 

Current: .75 Klonopin (chlonazepam), took it many years for restless legs, then increased amount for anxiety, now tapered back down. For a couple of months my psychiatrist pushed me up to 2.0 in an effort to stop tremor symptoms but it didn't help, so slowly, 1/4 pill at a time (a .5 pill), got down to .75. My psychiatrist is being supportive about my quitting Klonopin at whatever pace I'm comfortable with.

5/20/17: TAPERING BY WEIGHT NOW:   .163g @11pm (was .166) AND .081@11am (was .083)

PREVIOUS: In August 2016, after some stressful life changes, my Klonopin use went up to about 4.0. New dr jerked me down from 4.0 to 1 mg, then grudgingly gave me 1.5 mg while awaiting psychiatrist appt. I'm still suffering from that sudden extreme withdrawal. Plus I was put on and taken off of many other meds those first couple of months: Tizanadine, Remeron, Lexapro, Wellbutrin. A bad time in my life.  CURRENT: Cymbalta 60mg. I'll probably be reducing this later. I use medical marijuana as needed. I take fish oil, and magnesium.

#515 SkyBlue

SkyBlue

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • LocationMinnesota, U.S.

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:12 PM

How nice that you didn't have a spike this morning, yay you. Maybe re the magnesium... it's a really gigantic pill, and I'd hate to have to swallow that first thing. Maybe I'll get a smaller pill of magn.

Today was a rough day for me, all fricking day, woke up with the spike and it stayed all day. My policy is to fake it til I make it, meaning I act like I'm fine all day and when I'm around people. Don't know if that approach is helping me or not! Maybe "fake it til you make it" backfires? But at least I'm not complaining to anybody and everybody.

It's always this thing when I first wake up... How am I? How am I feeling? What kind of morning will this be? 

Hi Flatrock, thanks. There is powdered magnesium (Natural Calm or another brand) which is what I use so I can split the doses throughout the day. It's important overall, and it might not always prevent the cortisol spikes but it might help deal with them. People on this thread also mention vitamin C taken the night before which I might try.

Long story short: After 18 years on Paxil, "tapered" in July 2015 from 20 to 10 to 5 mg in a month, at doctor's advice. = Essentially a cold-turkey.

*Current*: March: 0.82 mg Paxil. Jan 1:  .88 mg, baby!! …. August 31: Less than 1mg Paxil! ... July 30: 1 mg Paxil! ! ! And 100 mg Zoloft unfortunately!!  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Paxil since 1996--anxiety & depression likely caused by (then-undiagnosed) under-eating / eating disorder. 

Rapid "taper" July 2015 and started Zoloft as a "cross-taper". Feb 2016: Found SA!! As of June 2016: Doing 2% cuts (Brassmonkey Slide!). 

Now: fish oil, magnesium; protein; exercise; healthy fats; acupuncture, meditation, & a new doctor.  I am in recovery from an eating disorder!!!  ***Have you had a sleep study?***    *Feel free to message me if I don't respond to a forum thread.* 

#516 flatrock

flatrock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationFlat Rock, MI

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:28 PM

Hi Flatrock, thanks. There is powdered magnesium (Natural Calm or another brand) which is what I use so I can split the doses throughout the day. It's important overall, and it might not always prevent the cortisol spikes but it might help deal with them. People on this thread also mention vitamin C taken the night before which I might try.

Great tips, thanks SkyBlue. This morning I had black tea and that seemed to help. Yesterday morning I went outside and sat in the sun, it was chilly out, so I had a coat on... but I just closed my eyes and sunbathed, and it seemed to help. Maybe for me shaking things up is helpful... hmm... I'd better make a plan for tomorrow morning!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: circadian rhythm, cortisol, morning anxiety