SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Monjanse: Stopping take cipralex

monjanse

I first took 20 mg cipralex. Then i take 10 mg for 2 weeks, then i take 5 mg in 2 weeks than to zero. Its that to fast?

And i was on 7 mg abilify, and i just quitted abilify for 9 days ago. Why dont i feel witraval symptoms or stop taking abilify?

Used cipralex, now trying to taper fluoxetin.

• Moderator Emeritus

I first took 20 mg cipralex. Then i take 10 mg for 2 weeks, then i take 5 mg in 2 weeks than to zero. Its that to fast?

And i was on 7 mg abilify, and i just quitted abilify for 9 days ago. Why dont i feel witraval symptoms or stop taking abilify?

Hi Monjane and welcome to the forum. How long did you take cipralex, how long were you on abilify. You just came off abilify 9 days ago, when did you take the last of the ciprolex? Are you having withdrawal symptoms now, and if so, what are they?

You have come off very fast, and while not everyone people has significant withdrawal symptoms, however tapering slowly at first is a good precaution. Others will chime in shortly, but will be able to help more if you can flesh out the info.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Hi Monjane and welcome to the forum. How long did you take cipralex, how long were you on abilify. You just came off abilify 9 days ago, when did you take the last of the ciprolex? Are you having withdrawal symptoms now, and if so, what are they?

You have come off very fast, and while not everyone people has significant withdrawal symptoms, however tapering slowly at first is a good precaution. Others will chime in shortly, but will be able to help more if you can flesh out the info.

I have taken abilify in 1 year. And cipralex in 2 years. I still taking cipralex, but now im on 10 mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

I have taken abilify in 1 year. And cipralex in 2 years. I still taking cipralex, but now im on 10 mg.

How long ago did you come off cipralex, and are you having any withdrawal symptoms now?

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Monjanse

I moved your topic to introductions as you're new here, this can be your thread to update people on your progress etc

If you follow the links to your profile in the top right corner of the screen you can create your signature as well which helps others keep track of your withdrawal history.

I don't know anything about abilify but I would say that was an extremely fast taper off cipralex, some people get away with it, but really the best way is to get a liquid formulation of cipralex and taper by no more than 10% a month or slower depending on how you respond to withdrawing.

As Schulyer says we need to know more information such as how long ago since you stopped the meds and how you're feeling.

strawberry

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

http://prozacwithdrawal.blogspot.com/
Original drug was sertraline/Zoloft, switched to Prozac in 2007.
Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

• Moderator Emeritus

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

http://prozacwithdrawal.blogspot.com/
Original drug was sertraline/Zoloft, switched to Prozac in 2007.
Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

Hi Monjanse. Just to say that I'm from Denmark and understand Norwegian, and if you need help translating anything I'd be happy to.

I also take 10 mg of Cipralex.

It might be too fast to come off Cipralex like you have done.

Did you stop taking Cipralex and start again? That was what I did because I felt very bad after stopping too fast. After 2 months back on 10 mg I feel a lot better.

1998-2001 Cipramil (Citalopram) 20-60 mg
2001-3 drug free
2003-5 Cipramil 40 mg
2005-7 Cipralex (escatilopram/Lexapro) 20 mg
2007 unsuccesful 3-month taper, mild depression resulted in meds restart
2007-9 20 mg Cipralex
2009 3-month taper, same result
2009-10 20 mg Cipralex
2010-12 slow taper, stable on 10 mg for half a year. Tapered completely over 3 months or so the summer of 2012. Slow onset of depressive/withdrawal symptoms over 1-2 months to severe depression, anxiety in September-October.
Back on 10 mg since oct 10th or so, withdrawal symptoms abated but still present.

2016: at 1,6 mg and slowly tapering off. Feeling GOOD!

Monjanse seems to be saying that the plan is to taper cipralex by dropping from 20 to 10, staying at 10 for 2 weeks, then dropping to 5 for 2 weeks, then off. He/she is currently at the 10 mg dose.

• Administrator

Welcome, monjanse.

Please hold on your dose cipralex for a week (do not reduce) and see if you have any symptoms from going off Abilify.

How long were you on Abilify?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Welcome, monjanse.

Please hold on your dose cipralex for a week (do not reduce) and see if you have any symptoms from going off Abilify.

How long were you on Abilify?

I was on abilify on 1 year.

• Administrator

It's important to see that you don't have Abilify withdrawal symptoms.

Please do not make changes in your cipralex dosage for a while.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I quitted abilify from 10 mg to 0. Its about 12 days ago. I dont feel any symptoms. Do it take Longer time?

• Moderator Emeritus

Monjanse, I moved your post about Abilify to your Intro topic, which is where all posts about your personal history and progress should go, sort of like a journal.

I'm not familiar with Abilify except that it's an "atypical antipsychotic" often prescribed for off-label uses. However, going off any psychotropic drug from 10 mg. to none at all may cause problems. Abrupt drug changes of any kind are not a good idea. Although some people don't seem to suffer from such changes, no one knows which people will develop withdrawal symptoms until they happen or they don't, and then sometimes it's too late to reinstate.

I'll let wiser heads than mine give you more specific advice.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Administrator

Yes, let's wait another week to make sure you're okay from the Abilify cold turkey.

• Administrator

I would consider that a bad sign that you have tapered one or both drugs too fast.

Yes, bad things like blackouts can happen from going off drugs too fast.

Please stay at 10mg Cipralex for a month to make sure your nervous system has stabilized.

• 4 months later...

Hello. I want to quit taking fluoxetin to morrow. Is it dangerous? Im have taken 15 mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, it is dangerous to stop taking fluoxetine cold turkey. Please read this topic before you do anything:

Tips for tapering off Prozac

Please tell us more about yourself and put your drug history in your signature like so:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

It's not possible to give advice without knowing more about you than that you're taking 15 mg. of Prozac.

Welcome to the forum. Please don't quit taking fluoxetine until you've learned how to do it the best way.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Maybe just want to? :)

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Maybe just want to? :)

I dont want to die. Today I took a 5 mg pill from 15 mg. Is that good?

• Administrator

Montjanse, I merged your new topic here, with your Intro topic.

So you switched from Cipralex to fluoxetine? When did you do that?

Did you get any bad symptoms after you made the switch.

Dropping from 15mg fluoxetine to 5mg is too big of a decrease. We suggest a much more gradual taper, maybe 1mg at a time. See Tips for tapering off Prozac, as Jemima posted.

Montjanse, I merged your new topic here, with your Intro topic.

So you switched from Cipralex to fluoxetine? When did you do that?

Did you get any bad symptoms after you made the switch.

Dropping from 15mg fluoxetine to 5mg is too big of a decrease. We suggest a much more gradual taper, maybe 1mg at a time. See Tips for tapering off Prozac, as Jemima posted.

I got sickness feelings after quitting cipralex, and difficult swallowing with prozac. I did it last year.

• Administrator

How long did you have difficulty swallowing with Prozac?

How long did you have difficulty swallowing with Prozac?

Since januar. In 3 months.

• Administrator

You may wish to take 10mg Prozac rather than 5mg, to avoid feeling withdrawal from 15mg.

Stay on 10mg Prozac for a week, then reduce very slowly. See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/759-tips-for-tapering-off-prozac-fluoxetine/

• 3 months later...

I quitt abilify from 10 mg to 0. Can i Get phsychosis when i stop taking them? Im not afraid of phsychosis, and i didnt had phsychosis before i starded taking abilify. Can i Get phsychosis as a witraval symptom?.

yes you can get psychotic as a rebound reaction...you can also potentially suffer other nervous system issues that could result in longer term withdrawal issues if you came off too quickly...

did you cold turkey off the abilify?

how long ago did you come off?

if it was recently and you came off too quickly you may want to consider reinstating a large portion of the drug and come off very slowly in order to help your nervous system adjust in a safer manner.

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

yes...please reinstate...all of it...and then learn how to more safely come off of it before you proceed...please don't risk your well being. You can free yourself of the drug, but please choose to do it safely

there are other moderators who know the lay of this site better and can send you to posts that are particular to abilify...

but here is a article I wrote that can get you started on understanding the general principles for safer withdrawal: 

Psychiatric drug withdrawal 101

http://beyondmeds.com/withdrawal-101/

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

• Administrator

Withdrawal from any psychiatric drug can cause symptoms that look like psychosis.

See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1896-tips-for-tapering-off-abilify-aripiprazole/ for Abilify tapering tips.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Monjanse, I moved your question from Tapering to your personal Intro thread here. 

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• 1 year later...

I stopped a very low dosage of abilify last monday. I stopped from 7 mg to 0 mg. Is the abilify out of my body completely now after a week or does it take longer time?

Hi,

I have a lot of experience with Abilify, I was on 15mg  I went down 1mg to 1.5mg at a time and I can tell you that it is not wise to jump off from 7mg to O...You may be subjected to psychosis, akathesia, NMS, abnormal muscle movements, high anxiety, cardiac issues, hyperglycemia, insomnia, etc...From what I know and in my experience this drug needs to be tapered very slowly...No, this drug has a half life of 96 hours meaning it could take up to 2 weeks or much longer to get out of your system...Many times w/d symptoms do not occur until months after the drug has stopped...Please be cautious and review others on this board who have experience with this as well...You may be at risk for relapsing by stopping so quickly but it seems you are also on another drug...fluoxetine...which may be holding you for now. Please be careful as most advice for AP's are to gradually taper at 5 to 10% over several months....Please be aware of the pitfalls and don't be afraid to reinstate at a lower dose if you begin to have uncomfortable symptoms...If you have any further questions, please let me know....

Abilifyneedshelp88

med exp since 1985- abilify, latuda, Seroquel, risperadol, zyprexa, Haldol. latuda, saphris, mellaril, thorazine, lithium, tegretol, Depakote, lamictal, Prozac, pamelor, wellbutrin, Ativan, klonipin, etc.

currently only on remeron: 3/13/14-6/5/14- 15mg

6/20/14 -9.5mg < 0.75-1.5 per week

7/12/14-3.75mg

8/11/14- 0.6mg of Remeron (almost off)

8/16/14--last dose of remeron...now completely drug free....

11/21/14-- 95 DAYS DRUG FREE!!!!

I do not give out medical advice only personal experience.

dx: BPI, II, CKD, secondary hyperparathyroidism, Chronic pain, fibro,

• Moderator Emeritus

Please start a topic for yourself in our Intro section if you haven't yet.

I'm not sure why you want to know when the drug will be out of your body, it doesn't really matter.  The absence of the drug is what is going to make you ill, due to withdrawal effects. Abilify, like all psychiatric meds, needs to be tapered off.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.