SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Hi I Am Skier want to get off 200 mg daily Zoloft

Skier

Hi I am Skier

I was put on Zoloft 3 yrs ago after a suicide attempt and bad depression. For the last 2 yrs my dose has been 200mg. I feel the med is making me very very tired. I am 27 and like to be active. This is really affecting my life.

An ex girlfriend was on Zoloft too, her doctor weaned her off, but she seemed to be really sick all the time.

I want off but seeing what she went through scares me.

Thought I might get some advice here.

Thanks

Oxy addiction in high school. Went to rehab in 2001. Never touched them again.

2009 Suicide Attempt hospitalization started on 50 mg Zoloft Was on some other meds in the hospital don't remember

Just stayed on Zoloft over time dose went up to where I am know 200mg daily

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Skier,

welcome to the forum.

There's some great knowledge and advice on this website. The key is to be patient and go very slow with your taper.

You'll get some good advice very soon.

I wish you all the best.

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

Hi Skier! You will find lots of help here. Please go VERY slow once you decide to taper.

Wishing you the best!

Dec 2004 - Put on Zoloft after having a panic attack from the Birth Control Ortho Evra Patch (the doctors thought I was completely insane when I told them I think the Birth Control Patch is giving me anxiety/panic. Funny how they tell you NOW that Birth Control can indeed cause anxiety) Started at 25mg, increased to 50 mg and 100 mg in 2007. They made me too sleepy so decreased back to 50mg until 2009. Reduced to 25 mg in 2010.

Oct 2010 - Decided to come off Zoloft to try and have children. Didn't know anything about tapering because apparently, my doctor didn't know about it either. WDs included heart palpitations, dizziness, tinnitus etc. Decided to go back on Zoloft within 2 weeks of stopping.

January 2011 - Knowing a little more about tapering, I decided to stop taking taking Zoloft with my doctors help again. She told me to hurry and taper in 4 weeks because the tinnitus could become permanent. I thought this was too fast so I took another month to taper.

March 30, 2011 - Last Zoloft pill.

Had a little dizziness & sadness, but felt fine until Aug 2011 after a relative died.

Since then symptoms include brain shivers, migraine headaches on right side of head, warm/hot sensations on right side of head and ears, internal vibrations, tremor, muscle twitches, strange sensations in right side of head, anxiety, nervousness, sadness, disconnected, depersonalization, numbness on left side of body at times, neck pain, muscle/rib cage pains,  just don't feel like myself :(

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Skier, and welcome aboard the forum.

For starters, here is some general information about tapering off of psychoactive drugs:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3401-rphill-need-helpadvice-about-stopping-my-medication/page__gopid__37807

And here's some specific info on Zoloft:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1441-tips-for-tapering-off-zoloft-sertraline/page__p__13380__hl__zoloft__fromsearch__1#entry13380

Generally we recommend reducing no more than 10% of the current dose once a month, even less if withdrawal symptoms appear. Many doctors recommend a taper that is way too fast and that's probably why your former girlfriend was so sick. Take it slow and easy and listen to your body (meaning go even slower if you get symptoms) so you don't end up in the same condition.

This forum is, IMO, the best place on the Internet to get advice on getting off psychiatric drugs. I came off Lexapro far too fast a year ago, and this forum has been a life-saver for me.

When you're ready to post again, please locate this topic and continue your comments by clicking on the "Add Reply" button at the bottom of the page. And if you feel up to it, please put your drug history in your signature along with a link to your Intro, like so:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Thanks!

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Nice to meet you all

Thank you for the info

Just wondering 10% of 200 is 20 mg , what is the best way to get a 20 mg dose.

2009 Suicide Attempt hospitalization started on 50 mg Zoloft Was on some other meds in the hospital don't remember

• Administrator

Welcome, Skier. Please read this topic carefully, it will answer your question http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1441-tips-for-tapering-off-zoloft-sertraline/

You can get prescription Zoloft liquid, make your own liquid, or get your prescription filled with smaller-dosage tablets and cut them up -- among other techniques.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

That was stop my dose shoould be 180mg. Still trying to figure brst way to do that.

Sorry Brain fog

• Administrator

If you're reading this site on a phone, you'll have to look very carefully at the links and read them, too. There's a lot of detail, it's better if you read it on a computer or tablet.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thanks Zoloft Liiquid sounds good. I'll have to call my pharmacy.

I'm going skiing around Xmas do you think I should start the taper now or after that?

• Administrator

Taper when you can be calm and systematic. You'll want to keep notes as you taper.

Ok good advice. I'm feeling so much fatigue I might have to put off the skiing anyway.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Zoloft Liiquid sounds good. I'll have to call my pharmacy.

I'm going skiing around Xmas do you think I should start the taper now or after that?

That's a great question. Under the circumstances and considering you are so new that you are questioning how to dose , I personally would recommend NOT to start a taper before an anticipated, fun time.

You won't know how you will respond to a drop and you might experience symptoms but may question if it was because of the drop or because of the excitement or because your brother made you mad etc etc... just to use an example.

But that's just me. I would wait. If you're doing ok now, why take a chance on feeling bad during a fun trip? You've been on zoloft for three years. Why not wait just a little bit longer?

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

Thank you areyouthere. What you are saying makes sense. I am so tired and in a fog all the time. Skiing might not be possible. Excuse my writing if it is off. I usually write ok, but my mind is so messed up. I am in my last year of law school, but I am thinking I might have to take next semester off. I just can't seem to get things together.

Well, I am settling things up.

I have final exams next week, so the following week I am going to start my slow taper. I talked to my doctor he is ok with doing that and wrote me a RX for liquid Zoloft. Been talking to my Mom on the phone, she is an Internal Med doc, but she practices Integrated medicine. She did a fellowship with Dr. Andrew Weil in Arizona, a program for alternative medicine. She is a very cool doctor. She is behind me all the way. She has been concerned about the way I have been feeling.

I know my mom will have some ideas to support my taper. But I would like to know, in your experience, if there are any supplements or alternative treatments that can make this easier.

I am so scared about not being able to graduate on schedule. Also, I am an avid skier and ski season is starting. I would be miserable not being able to do something I love so much.

Blessings to all of you

Would be great to hear from you

Skier

• Moderator Emeritus

I am so scared about not being able to graduate on schedule. Also, I am an avid skier and ski season is starting. I would be miserable not being able to do something I love so much.

Skier

Hi Skier, we don't all have a difficult time coming off this 'crap'. I'm one who does not, though I am challenged and need to go veryyy slow. I tapered diazepam (in some ways this poison is all the same). for 18 months with almost NO problems. I hit a wall I was unwittingly jerked Lyrica around and became sensitized to it. Since then I've had bouts of tinnitus and insomnia from either cuts in Lyrica or diazepam. At the moment I'm on a prolonged hold... 6 weeks and counting, and I've had NO insomnia for the last three nights. Unreal, Heavenly Bliss. But neither the tinnitus or insomnia I have had again recently are at the level you fear and when they got to be more than I wanted to handle, they remitted on a hold. All in all, my taper has been relatively 'clean'. I hope this account is not unduly muddled.. what I'm trying to convey I think it probably you will have no significant withdrawal symptoms. Sure, tapering is a pain in terms of the countless small med adjustments, but for many it is no more an issue than that.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Schuyler,

Thanks for sharing your experience it helps to know maybe going off this poison might not be as bad as I think. I have terrible insomnia now, I hope it doesn't get worse. I am in Boston and my mom was telling me there is a holistic center at Bringham and Young Hospital. I think I am going to set up an appointment for when I come back next semester. I am trying to line up as much support as I can. Like I said before I watched my former girlfriend come off this and she went through hell.

Hope you have a great day and are feeling well

Skier

• Moderator Emeritus

Skier, your gf did not come off cautiously. This is why we advocate a slowww taper. By all means line up as much support as you want, but most important are slow gradual cuts. I responded to a post you made in another thread below.

I can't wait to get off this poison.

I am up early studying and wanted to say hi. I hope all is well with you.

This is the mindset that will get you into trouble... as long as you go slow and easy, realize the 'poison' is not out of your system just because you are still taking a small dose. To the contrary, taking the poison out too fast may well make you sick.. but if you listen carefully to your body you will be fine. Hurry and you will have the problems you fear.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Administrator

Skier, excellent news that you got liquid Zoloft.

If you taper gradually and listen to your body, you will be able to come off with minimal problems.

Would your mother be interested in looking at this site? If she develops an understanding of tapering, she would be an invaluable asset to others in Boston who would like to work with a knowledgeable doctor.

Integrative medicine is good for increasing overall health. Eating healthy and getting exercise are helpful while tapering. But, be careful with any supplements that are supposed to act on neurotransmitters or holistically correct "depression." Often these are too stimulating and exacerbate withdrawal symptoms.

For tips to support tapering, see the Symptoms and self-care forum.

Also see Important topics in the Tapering forum

Thank you all for your advice,

Yes going slow and listen to my body are the most important things.

My Mom practices in Western Mass. She was the one who told me about slowly tapering. She just finished her fellowship less than a year ago. She is in the process of totally rebuilding her practice. Some of the things she has told me is that she is offering some new things under one roof. A traditional Chinese medical practioner, a health coach, Chiropractor and others. She is trying to model after the integrated medical center in Arizona.

Mom has never been a pill pusher and has wanted to do this for awhile. She is very aware of the negative effects of antdepressants and the syndrome

that comes about from withdrawal. She is hoping to help more people like me and on this site with her new center. She is not big on supplements. I think in her last life she was an eastern medical practioner. Before she married my dad she spent a year in China.

I am just proud of her she is a wonderful person

Thanks again and blessings to all

• Administrator

If you can recommend her for tapering people off medications, please add her contact information to http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/988-recommended-doctors-therapists-or-clinics/

Thank you all for your advice,

Yes going slow and listen to my body are the most important things.

My Mom practices in Western Mass. She was the one who told me about slowly tapering. She just finished her fellowship less than a year ago. She is in the process of totally rebuilding her practice. Some of the things she has told me is that she is offering some new things under one roof. A traditional Chinese medical practioner, a health coach, Chiropractor and others. She is trying to model after the integrated medical center in Arizona.

Mom has never been a pill pusher and has wanted to do this for awhile. She is very aware of the negative effects of antdepressants and the syndrome

that comes about from withdrawal. She is hoping to help more people like me and on this site with her new center. She is not big on supplements. I think in her last life she was an eastern medical practioner. Before she married my dad she spent a year in China.

I am just proud of her she is a wonderful person

Thanks again and blessings to all

You are very lucky to have such a supportive person in your life!!

Dec 2004 - Put on Zoloft after having a panic attack from the Birth Control Ortho Evra Patch (the doctors thought I was completely insane when I told them I think the Birth Control Patch is giving me anxiety/panic. Funny how they tell you NOW that Birth Control can indeed cause anxiety) Started at 25mg, increased to 50 mg and 100 mg in 2007. They made me too sleepy so decreased back to 50mg until 2009. Reduced to 25 mg in 2010.

Oct 2010 - Decided to come off Zoloft to try and have children. Didn't know anything about tapering because apparently, my doctor didn't know about it either. WDs included heart palpitations, dizziness, tinnitus etc. Decided to go back on Zoloft within 2 weeks of stopping.

January 2011 - Knowing a little more about tapering, I decided to stop taking taking Zoloft with my doctors help again. She told me to hurry and taper in 4 weeks because the tinnitus could become permanent. I thought this was too fast so I took another month to taper.

March 30, 2011 - Last Zoloft pill.

Had a little dizziness & sadness, but felt fine until Aug 2011 after a relative died.

Since then symptoms include brain shivers, migraine headaches on right side of head, warm/hot sensations on right side of head and ears, internal vibrations, tremor, muscle twitches, strange sensations in right side of head, anxiety, nervousness, sadness, disconnected, depersonalization, numbness on left side of body at times, neck pain, muscle/rib cage pains,  just don't feel like myself :(

Altostrata,

I would love to add my mom to the list, but I fear in dong so I will reveal too much of my real identity. I have big plans for my law career. I have some trepidation about things I have already posted about myself. I need to keep personal information about myself to a minimum, and just remain Skier with no other name attached.

I am very sorry and hope you understand.

Thanks again to all of you for the advice and support

Blessings

Skier

• Administrator

You are right, Skier. If you'd like, send me a pm with the info and I'll post it. The post will not be related to you.

Why is your mom not advising you on your taper?

Altostrata,

Hello.

Let me talk to Mom first. As I said , she just started her new venture. She just moved to her new space and from what I understand her colleague is seeing all her patients. She has her hands very full pulling this all together. I don't know the expected date of her grand re-opening.

She is helping with the taper, but this is new to her, too. She was glad I found this site for support. I hate bothering her right now.

She is also trying to get her sister off of multiple meds. My aunt is not doing well and has moved in with her 3 kids. To top it off my Dad, who is a Trauma Surgeon, is away with Doctors with Out Borders.

I know she would do anything for me, I just feel she has a lot on her plate right now.

That is why I am grateful for you and the other members

Skier

• Moderator Emeritus

Why is your mom not advising you on your taper?

I have a bit of perspective on this. Our daughter is an NP having done all of her clinic experience for RN at the Mayo Clinic in MN and then was trained in the NP school there, worked until last year as an NP in the endocrinology unit.

It was she who advised me using the research resources at the Mayo, that tapering to half my dose of xanax would be the "easy part" that the last 2 mg the most difficult.

She has since moved to Redmond , WA . I wish she still had access to the resources at the Mayo. I have a LOT of questions about the history of and what is being shared about WD from these drugs in the medical community.

She has told me that she has absolutely no respect for my psychiatrist and can't believe that he prescribed these meds without seeing me for years.

Unlike Skier's Mom, however, she does have a rather "western " view of medicine.

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

Areyouthere

Forgive me what does NP stand for. It sounds like you have a good support in your daughter. All I know is my mom has always tended to sway toward Eastern Medicine. Now that she has completed her fellowship in integrated medicine, she is realizing her dream of setting up this center that will bring more non invasive options to her patients.

Over my break that would be an interesting discussion to have with her, what is her experience/opinion of where do her colleagues stand with the misuse of AD and the withdrawal from them. Keep in mind she is not a Psychiatrist. But she always blames herself for my starting Zoloft yrs ago.

She says she wishes she knew then what she knows now.

Blessings

Skier

• Moderator Emeritus

Areyouthere

Forgive me what does NP stand for. Nurse Practitioner.