SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Digestive problems: nausea, diarrhoea, bloating, GERD

alexjuice

We have similaries too. I was on and off Zoloft for 7 years, am almost a year off. I started having digestive issues before Chistmas. I'm not sure if it's withdrawal or the fact that I was eating oats which were gluten free and so I thought ok and then worked out they were causing problems. I've stopped eating them now, but think they'll have inflamed my gut so need it to stop being inflamed.

I know I'm intolerant to gluten and diary, so avoiding that. Recently stomach been very crampy and painful. I've started taking probiotics daily and eating only non-processed foods so am avoiding all the chemical additives that are in foods that probably don't help things. I make my own chicken soup, and try and take regular exercise. I've lost loads of weight though so no energy to play the sports I used to.

01/2006 Put on Prozac for anxiety and panic attacks 08/2008 Came off Zoloft after tapering don't remember taper, lost weight, felt like had cold constantly, very panicky, pain everywhere (misdiagnosed fibromyalgia), head funny.05/2010 put back on Zoloft03/2012 came completely off Zoloft followed Dr standard taper- no appetite, lost weight (0.5 stone), flu-like feelings constantly, pain everywhere, head funny, nausea, very panicky, very strong emotions etc Lost 1 stone.04/2013 improving. actually put on some weight and hungry most of the time. Still burning pain joints, stomach upset, headache/feel faint and emotions very strong. Chest very painful too.01/2014 improving still. Gained weight!! Still hungry. Still headache/feel faint and strong emotions and chest/shoulder muscles painful. Periods irregular and very painful. Very tired. Joints burn only if eat refined sugars. Started eating fruits again.03/2014 2 years off. Now intolerances developed to nuts and soya. Permanently hungry, Emotions strong but started healing psychological reasons I was put on antidepressants with therapist. Shoulder pain bad, heady often, very tired.06/2014 flu-like symptoms returned, many intolerances, stomach painful, skin crawling feeling, muscles painful, very emotional. :-((

09/2016 over 4.5 years off, no real changes in symptoms, still much pain, headiness, heart weird, digestion bad, hormones unbalanced, nausea yet very hungry, tired, flu like symptoms etc etc.

<p>taking - vit C, probiotics and digestive enzymesI have Aspergers Syndrome.

• 1 month later...

I took a month to get off my low dose of Nortriptyline. Almost immediately after starting to wean myself, I got diarrhea. I've been off the med completely for over two months now and am still having problems. I called my dr's office but they didn't believe it had to do with the medication. I'm going to attempt to get in for an appointment soon. I haven't been able to find a whole lot of information on withdrawal of this medication with my specific issue. As much as I don't want to, I'm thinking about getting back on the medication. Any advice for coping with this or for when I get to the doctor?

gut issues are very very often associate with psych drug use. Doctors on the other hand seem clueless about this...it's really incredible, but true...so it's unlikely unless you see someone relatively enlightened about such things that you'll get help there.

I have written extensively about healing my gut issues and referenced what I've seen in the population of those on psych drugs.

People who have taken psychiatric drugs often have gut issues. Sometimes these issues predate the psych drug use (as it did for me) and sometimes the psych drugs destabilize the gut and body in general and so the drugs are the cause of such issues. In either case it’s common that the use of psych drugs in time will further exacerbate the problem.

I suggest you work on healing your gut...meds will not do that, though it might mask the problem for a time

here is a place to start looking at info:

Nutrition and gut health, Mental health and diet

http://beyondmeds.com/gut-health/

that page leads to other posts with lots of links to news articles etc. This stuff is scientifically supported...just hasn't hit medical schools yet, though complimentary and integrative doctors are definitely starting to catch on.

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

Hi Sick and Tired, and welcome! Sorry to read you are having problems. Are you having any other issues besides this one? The reason I ask is, I had severe exhaustion and some hair loss in combination with diarrhea after a drug reaction that led to a c/t withdrawal and then other meds, and it turned out the culprit for both this group of symptoms as well as a prior diagnosis of "depression" was low iron.

The really tricky thing about it was though, I actually test in the normal range. I am at the low end. Apparently if your iron levels get to be low enough you can wind up with chronic diarrhea, which can become a self-perpetuating problem, as obviously you won't be absorbing all the nutrients you need from food under such a circumstance. Even though I am in range, that was the case for me. Iron also depends on other vitamins, like vit. C, so not consuming enough or not absorbing enough can be detrimental as well.

In my case, I am sure that the drugs made things exponentially worse, as at one point I had mild hyperthyroidism from the reaction, which was another cause and would have exacerbated the problems greatly. In your case though it could be something totally different--there are tons of causes for your symptom so that, if it were me, I would extremely hesitant to restart, as easily it could be explained by some other issue, including a bug.

Also, if you feel it could be related to iron, please make sure to get your iron levels tested and talk to a doctor before taking any supplements as too much iron can also be dangerous. In other words, this isn't medical advice!

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

the thing with diarrhea is that there can be many many things associated with it...part of gut healing is finding nutritional deficiencies of all kinds...iron being just one of them.

it's also important to know that one should NOT supplement with iron if one doesn't need it especially if one is a menstruating woman, so testing is a good idea if you want to go that route.

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

it's also important to know that one should NOT supplement with iron if one doesn't need it especially if one is a menstruating woman, so testing is a good idea if you want to go that route.

Oh, I know that, I hope that was clear in my post? The point I was trying to make wasn't to supplement randomly, just that if you feel you have the symptoms but still are in the normal range but near the bottom it might be advisable to ask the doctor why and if you can benefit from a supplement. I don't advise doing your own supplementing with iron, you definitely need to get your levels tested and have a doctor on board.

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

I've heard using cast iron cookware can give a gentle boost?

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

I've heard that about cast iron too...and it's probably gentle enough to be safe for anyone.

Sorry if I was reiterating something you said UnfoldingSky...more than anything I wanted to underscore that there are dozens of possible issues and more often than not with the gut it's a combination of issues...and it's often like finding a needle in a haystack...or several needles in several haystacks...a systemic approach can be helpful for that reason.

that said, I've seen many many people figure out their gut issues...it's by no means impossible but it can be a bit of a journey...for me it's been a fascinating one that's led to many understandings about my entire mind and body systems.

gut issues are very very often associate with psych drug use. Doctors on the other hand seem clueless about this...it's really incredible, but true...so it's unlikely unless you see someone relatively enlightened about such things that you'll get help there.

I suggest you work on healing your gut...meds will not do that, though it might mask the problem for a time

here is a place to start looking at info:

Nutrition and gut health, Mental health and diet

http://beyondmeds.com/gut-health/

I second what Gia has recommended. Gut health definitely factors into my recovery and is undoubtably important. I've read up on the subject on Gia's blog anf think she has compiled information that can help you, SickandTired.

Alex

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

I appreciate the responses! This diarrhea is a complete 180 for me. I've have digestive issues most of my life--IBS-C and have had to be very careful with my diet. My iron has been on the low side for over a decade. I've tried to improve my numbers with various iron supplements, but they always made me ill and the constipation worse. That's one of the reasons I wanted to get off the Nortriptyline. That made my constipation worse and I was hoping that by getting of the medication, I could at least on occasion take a chewable vitamin with iron (most gentle for me).

I called my gp's office and the nurse didn't seem to have much knowledge of the subject, so I called my psych's office. She told me to get back on the med, starting with 10mg. Out of desperation, that is what I'm doing. It's only been a couple days, but I've only noticed a slight improvement, along with a couple side effects. I've been taking probiotics and digestive enzymes for a few years now as well as Vitamin D, Omega/Flax Seed oil, and a couple antioxidants. I'm also pretty much gluten free.

I can't remember now if I mentioned that I also take 20mg of Lexapro. I've been on both medications for several years. I'm hoping that the low dosage will help and that I can then taper off again extremely slowly. I really don't know what else to do.

Again, thank you for your input!

Glad you're feeling better! Sounds like you've done a lot. I've been in GI Hades on day 3 now....I think now it is a WD thing...I feel totally calm but develop a "shell" of low-grade panic, and then the GI symptoms start. I hope re-instating helps us both!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

56 years old

I've heard that about cast iron too...and it's probably gentle enough to be safe for anyone.

Sorry if I was reiterating something you said UnfoldingSky...more than anything I wanted to underscore that there are dozens of possible issues and more often than not with the gut it's a combination of issues...and it's often like finding a needle in a haystack...or several needles in several haystacks...a systemic approach can be helpful for that reason.

that said, I've seen many many people figure out their gut issues...it's by no means impossible but it can be a bit of a journey...for me it's been a fascinating one that's led to many understandings about my entire mind and body systems.

No biggie, I was just worried it wasn't clear as I get foggy a lot. And your info is really good by the way, it is quite an accomplishment too given withdrawal...Good job!

Ruby, please keep us/me posted on what you find out and how you're doing. I'm up to about half my original dosage of medication and still no change for me (besides the unwanted addition of side effects). I am so scared that this medication has permanently damaged my digestive system.

I think the chances are slim that the medication has caused irreversible damage. Sometimes when I have diarrhea I take a handful of probiotic capsules -- like a dozen+ -- and that sometimes helps. Constipation is a far worse problem for me. I find fiberous foods -- nuts, salads -- make my constipation worse.

I also discovered I had a gut infection and after taking some Rx medication for gut parasites, GI function improved ... for awhile anyway.

good luck.

Alex

- Zimmerman

just a word of caution...probiotics, I agree can be very helpful but someone who has not taken lots of them before SHOULD NOT take a mega dose...one needs to slowly build up as they can make people sick otherwise...especially when the gut is unhealthy...they will cause bad bacteria die-off and the result can be feeling very ill...

start VERY slowly when adding probiotics for the first time.

Gia's advice is more appropriate, on second thought. Better to be safe than sorry.

- Zimmerman

Hi Sickandtired, my gut felt a bit better this week. I think the homemade goat yogurt that is rich in probiotics is helping. I eat 4-5 tablespoons in the morning on an empty stomach. Also, I have to be strict with not eating any sugar and grains otherwise my digestive system feels worse. Having a very limited diet and chronic G.I. upset is so frustrating as you know; it's totally imparing my life. I don't think it's permanent since all my other withdrawal symptoms have lessened a lot. The gut is just very hypersensitive as it's a major part of the nervous system. I had tests done for parasites and H.pylori that turned out negative. The SCD diet is helpful as long as I stick to it, but it's all about listening to the body and see how it reacts to each food ingested. My skin also flares up with rashes and I feel moody if I eat sugar and processed foods. I'm also cutting out all GMO foods as much as I can - no soy or corn based products that are not organic. The food eaten is related to everything on how the body and mind functions. Exercise helps too and it keeps my mind off of focusing on this problem. Even if my gut doesn't heal or ever function normally again, there is no way I would ever go back on SSRIs.

1993-2003 Prozac 20mg
2003-2010 Zoloft 10mg
2010-2012 Zoloft 10mg to 1mg (taper)

July 2012 - Drug free!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Sick and Tired

I hope this post finds you better than previous ... I too am having withdrawal symptoms from stopping cold turkey nortriptyline

My symptom is nausea .. Non stop . It's been 12 weeks or so . I reinstated for ten days and felt no particular relief and had bad headaches got scarred and stopped again

I just wonder if you have stayed with the reinstatement and has it helped? The fear is the same will it ever end .

Just curious and again sending you wellness wishes

Nortriptyline 10 mg for about 2.5 years for chronic pain

Quit cold turkey feb. 12th / bad withdrawal symptoms

Reinstated for 5 days in march / very bad reaction quit again

Suffering with Nausea / headaches / chills

The pain is kind of like someone is drilling into my stomach. It may not the Effexor, but I noticed since I've had the withdrawal.

Tapering Zoloft, Dec 2014

Started Lamictal

Re-started Zoloft mid-Oct 2014, 25-50mg

Stopped Zoloft end of Sept 2014

Started Zoloft July 2014, 50mg

Stopped Prozac from 3mg May 2014

Stopped Effexor Dec '13 Started 10mg Prozac

Reinstated Effexor 15mg on Nov 2013

Stopped from 21mg on Oct 2013
Effexor 112.5mg, since Dec 2012

Yes, pain and nausea are extremely common. But some people have had physical problems revealed with endoscopy. Recently someone on this site, and my niece.

56 years old

Is there anything that helps the pain? Or should I just wait it out?

Tapering Zoloft, Dec 2014

Started Lamictal

Re-started Zoloft mid-Oct 2014, 25-50mg

Stopped Zoloft end of Sept 2014

Started Zoloft July 2014, 50mg

Stopped Prozac from 3mg May 2014

Stopped Effexor Dec '13 Started 10mg Prozac

Reinstated Effexor 15mg on Nov 2013

Stopped from 21mg on Oct 2013
Effexor 112.5mg, since Dec 2012

• 1 month later...

To make a long story short, I got back on the medication, 2/3 of my original dosage and am very slowly getting off of it again. I've been weaning myself off for a month now and am only down 2 mgs. I'm still have some bouts of diarrhea. I don't know if I'll ever be able to get off of this medication without having symptoms. My doctor, although skeptical that the med could cause this, doesn't seem to think so either. I am frustrated beyond words that I wasn't aware how this med could affect me in the long run. I never would've taken it in the first place.

• 3 weeks later...

For everyone here I recommend you visit this word press blog.

I think this guy has put together a well thought out site that is highly relevant to everyony who has used a pshyc or mood altering drug.

There are many peoples experiences and alot of information. I will follow up later with my comments but i would first like to spread the word that this guy's site relieived my anxiety through the supply of information it contains.

I beleive the boudary of any mood altering drug and gut health is breached when you take the meds. The consequence of the meds is relatively undefined interms of your digestive system. For anyone adusting the level of a medication wether up or down there will be an effect.

For those wishing to taper or for those reinstating due to a bad taper this blog is good to read.

It's a start and i wish you all well.

http://npanth.wordpress.com/

Thanks, AO, for mentioning this.

This is an excellent blog. npanth is a member here, too.

This is also referenced in this topic:

James Heaney's Blog

This blog makes at least a sensible attempt at explaining that miserable "I'll be in withdrawal forever" state of mind.The author also points out that prolonged withdrawal can teach us mindfulness, a tool which not only helps us through withdrawal but continues to help us as we handle whatever problems caused us to take medication without resorting to drugs.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

Hello all,I have had an extremely severe withdrawal from Zoloft. I have been completely off drugs for about a year and a half, but I don't consider myself recovered yet. About nine months ago, I started having a lot of digestive problems. I had lots of tests done, but the doctors said there is nothing wrong with me. I was diagnosed with "dyspepsia" and "irritable bowel syndrome". I am now wondering if all of my digestive problems are related to the withdrawal from Zoloft. I know that the gut contains the same neurons and chemicals as the brain, so it would make sense that the gut would be just as affected by withdrawal as the brain.Anyone else experience digestive problems during withdrawal? Will they resolve on their own??? I have been told by doctors that I just have to "live with" the symptoms, but that is easier said than done.Thanks!Sunny

I would say yes to your question, I tapered in april too quickly and had to reinstate. the side effects happened exactly in reverse as when first getting on zoloft. the jaw clenching the brain zaps and the vivid dreams, the lower i went the more prevalent they became.

However 6 weeks after cessation I bloated and began hurting nothing but diarrea, food began to run straight through me. There was nothing i could take or eat to change this. Pro biotics vitamins digestive enzymes all the nutritious food, high fiber, lean meats, no fat, no processed food. Nothing worked.  Ive reinstated and in my fourth week at 100mg zoloft the pain and bloating have almost magically dissapeared. My intestinal track time is back to normal and things are "firming up".

I perceive this as my mind may no longer require the Zoloft but my Gastrointestinal System does because without the Zoloft there is not enough Seretonin to go around.

It really was my major symptom it was late occuring and really it started after i had bled dry of sertraline and my seretonin became low.

I could easily live with everything in my head that happened after the taper knowing that time, Introspection and mental training would ultimately see me through.

The brain things were almost "Zap ...where am I"... humerous, The cloudy fog would have passed had I continued

My digestive system however, would have been sensless suffering  

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I've been having intermittent problems with nausea and queasiness. I think I posted about it before. I was wondering if anyone has suggestions to help cope with it.

I think it's due to a combination of Lamictal tapering and my night-shift schedule; my digestive system seems to have more trouble switching between nights and days than my sleep/wake cycle. It's got to be the Lamictal too though, because it seems to come on 4-5 days after I make a reduction and then gets gradually better as I hold.

Anyway, maybe I just need to whine, but if anyone's been through this and has suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

I had severe nausea associated with lamictal withdrawal for well over a year...it was one of the (many) worst symptoms I had...awful...and nausea is often associated with lamictal in any case, yes

I couldn't eat among other things...

I lived on ginger tincture...I used gaia brand and would do two shots in a bit of water and down it...around the clock...it helped somewhat...and was the only thing that did...

I hope you don't have to deal with it to the extent I did...ginger really did ease it a bit, but not as much as would have allowed me to be functional (if that were the only symptom I was dealing with)

much later when I could stand and cook etc I started making my own ginger concentrate with fresh ginger root boiled in water

• Moderator Emeritus

I can cook, haven't tried ginger. Do you think if I just boil some in water, like making ginger tea, that would work?

Thanks for the reassurance about the nausea. There's just not a ton of information about Lamictal withdrawal out there and every time it happens I think the tiny cut I made surely couldn't be causing it.  (Actually I always think that about withdrawal symptoms...)

I'm only cutting about 0.5 mg to 1 mg at a time, but I'm probably not holding long enough. I get the feeling Lamictal withdrawal unfolds over a long period of time. Seems like it takes 4-5 days before I even feel a cut, then gets worse for a few days, then as it starts to get better I cut again even though I should probably hold a little longer. It's just so derned frustrating, this is the drug I'm on the highest dose of and it's the hardest to reduce! Plus frustrating because supposedly Lamictal's not hard to get off of for a lot of people. 

I also get intense reflux that sometimes leads to vomiting.

I think for sure the night shift is a factor, maybe the major one, but the Lamictal cuts show a definite pattern with the nausea.  If I were a patient woman I would hold it for a while and see if I still had the nausea just from the night shift alone. But I'm not very patient. I want off the stuff.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

yes...ginger tea is good too...just play with it and see what is helpful to you.

I used to get bouts of weird reflux too, but I can't remember when specifically (like whether it was associated in particular to lamictal in any way)

in any case I no longer ever have any reflux at all...

• 1 month later...

HI- One of my biggest issues with withdrawl from Lexapro and Wellbutrin is nausea. The family doc switched me from lexapro to zoloft without weaning me, plus before I knew that was causing me issues I started weaning from the wellbutrin. I have had anxiety issues, but the major one has been severe nausea. Does anyone have anything that helped for them with this symptom?

Thanks so much!!!!

Jan. 1994 Pamelor

2000 switched to Zoloft 

2011 Zoloft pooped out- Dr. switched me directly to Lexapro15mg -had a horrible 6mths

2013 upped Lexapro to 20 mgs-pooped out

June 2013 Dr. added 150 Wellbutrin to Lexapro.

July 2013 Switched back to Zoloft 100mgs.Was still taking Wellbutrin. Lots of anxiety from the Wellbutrin

July 2013 Started to wean Wellbutrin- off by Sept.

Oct. 2013 added 400 mgs of Neurotin to the Zoloft

Jan 2014 Tapered off of the Zoloft and onto Prozac 30 mgs. Also still taking 400 mgs Neurotin

Feb 2014 Reduced Prozac to 13 mgs. Still taking 400 mgs Neurotin

Aug. 2014 Prozac 13 mgs. Finished with Neurotin. .7 Risperadol

• Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear things haven't been going so well for you. You could try some ginger. I use either fresh ginger in hot water or natural ginger tablets (usually used for motion sickness)

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Thank you so much!!! I will get some tomorrow.

Jan. 1994 Pamelor

2000 switched to Zoloft 

2011 Zoloft pooped out- Dr. switched me directly to Lexapro15mg -had a horrible 6mths

2013 upped Lexapro to 20 mgs-pooped out

June 2013 Dr. added 150 Wellbutrin to Lexapro.

July 2013 Switched back to Zoloft 100mgs.Was still taking Wellbutrin. Lots of anxiety from the Wellbutrin

July 2013 Started to wean Wellbutrin- off by Sept.

Oct. 2013 added 400 mgs of Neurotin to the Zoloft

Jan 2014 Tapered off of the Zoloft and onto Prozac 30 mgs. Also still taking 400 mgs Neurotin

Feb 2014 Reduced Prozac to 13 mgs. Still taking 400 mgs Neurotin

Aug. 2014 Prozac 13 mgs. Finished with Neurotin. .7 Risperadol

Sunny I know exactly how you feel, especially with the severe acid reflux. I you found something that helped, please share with me. I take Toms and Zantac, but they're barely half effective... And I don't want to take that for weeks and weeks...

I have been taking probiotics for many months now but that doesn't seem to help either.

Looking forward to some input on this! :)

Thanks!!

Athena

2000-2001: Effexor              2005-2012: Celexa, Zoloft, Effexor, desipramin, Wellbutrin, mirtazepin, Lamictal, Remeron, Abilify, nortriptylin, Cipralex, Cymbalta, and others I don't remember. Really bad side effects to all.
Sept-Nov 2012: Paxil 20mg, Wellbutrin 100mg, Imovane 5mg      Nov 2012: Paxil 20mg --> 10mg
Dec 2012: Paxil 10mg-->0; 1 week later: HUGE WD symptoms. Started to get informed on the internet and back to 10mg Paxil.
Dec 2012-Jan 2013: Paxil 10mg, Wellbutrin 100mg, Imovane 2.5mg        End Jan 2013: P 9mg, W 100mg, I 2.0mg
Feb 2013: P 8mg, W 100mg, I 1.5mg      April 2013: P 7mg, W 100mg, I 1.25mg       May 2013: P 7mg, W 90mg, I 1mg    

June 2013: P 7mg, W 80mg, I 0mg       July 1/2013: P 7, W 70     July 22/2013: P 7, W 60             Aug 2013: P 7, W 50       Sept 2013: P 6.1, W 50     Oct 2013: P up to 6.3, W 50     Nov 2013: P 6.2 to 5.9, W 50      Dec 2013: P 5.9, W 40      Jan 2014: P 5.3, W40        Feb 2014: P 5.3, W 30      March-April 2014: P 5.3, W 26    May 2014: P 5.3, W 20        June 2014: P 5.3 W 15     July 2014:  P 5.3, W 14       Aug 2014: P 5.3, W up to 15     Sept 2014: P 5.3, W 14    Oct 2014: P 4.8, W 14      Nov 2014: P 4.3, W 14     Dec 2014-Jan 2015: P 3.9, W 14     Feb 2015: P 3.9, W 12    March 2015: P 3.6, W 12   April-May 2015: P 3.3, W 12    June 2015: P 3.3, W 10    July 2015: P 3.3, W 8   Aug-Sept 2015: P 3.3, W 6   Oct 2015: P 3.0, W 6   Nov 2015: P 2.7, W 6   Dec 2015: P 2.4, W 6   Jan-Feb 2016: P 2.4, W 5  March 2016: P 2.2, W 5   April 2016: P 2.2, W 4   May-June 2016: P 2.2, W 3  July 2016: P 2.2, W 2  Aug 2016: P 2.2, W 1  Sept 2016: P 2.2, W 0!!  Oct 2016: P 2.0   Nov 2016-Jan 2017: P 1.8  Feb-Mar 2017: P 1.9  April-May 2017: P 1.8   June 2017: P 1.6 July-Dec 2017: P 1.5  Jan-April 2018: P 1.6

Others: Cytomel 25mcg (thyroid), vit. C, vit D, Omega-3 fish oil, Magnesium bisglycinate , Melatonin 1mg, 81mg Aspirin, Milk peptides, L-theanine, Valericalm tincture mix, scullcap tincture, Suan Zao Ren (jujube seeds)

DGL is great for acid reflux...

also I you'd like to learn to go drug free for acid reflux issues Chris Kresser has done extensive writing on how to manage that...I can speak to it having helped me...AND it healed my mother who was being told she needed surgery for GERD

http://chriskresser.com/heartburn

if you scroll down there is a collection of all his posts on the topic...I highly recommend it! 

Ever since I started to cut down on Cymbalta and had a failed CT after a fast taper, I've been severely constipated. I finally had a laproscopic surgery to look for endometriosis due to the increasingly severe menstrual cramps the last three + years, but the doctor found nothing. Instead, he felt my issue was more possibly due to IBS as he said my bowl was really full. I didn't even realize I was that constipated. This has really been an issue since quitting Adderall after a while and then even more so after cutting down on Cymbalta. My guess is that it's a nervous system effect.

My really bad menstrual issues also didn't get this awful until I started Adderall and Cymbalta within months or one another a few or so years ago. I never put two and two together until I started thinking about how long things have been this bad with my cramps. I seem to get more constipated past ovulation and then have looser stools after my period starts.

So I will be going to see a GI doc and will get tested for celiac and lactose intolerance. I mostly eat gluten free but slip up here and there (especially living at my mom's for now who bakes a lot) and am keeping track of my symptoms when I do.

I also have had bad acid relux and heartburn since stopping Adderall and cutting down on Cymbalta.

I think I am going to get some good probiotics instead of just relying on greek yogurt in my smoothie. But there is definitely now more of a constipation issue with this withdrawal business, including nausea.

Finished slow taper on 4/6/14 from 20 mg to 6 beads over period of almost a year on Cymbalta and then quit cannabis around the time I DC'd Cymbalta.

Tried to go off completely 8/13 - 8/20 (didn't work) - Reinstated 10mg on 8/21/13

Off Adderall (2010 -2013) after 3.5 years since July 12th, 2013

Taking Tramadol 50 mg since 2007 for chronic pain

Lamictal 450 mg (from 2007 - 2009)

Lexapro (2004-2007 30 mg?)

Ambien (2009-2010)

Trazadone (2010-2011 for sleep)

2008-2010 -Trials of Wellbutrin, Paxil, Ritalin, Concerta, Effexor, Risperdal, Abilify, Seroquel, Trileptal

Earlier history includes - long courses of Tricyclics, Prozac, Wellbutrin, Paxil. Serzone, Celexa, Remeron, Zoloft for shorter periods.

Haldol, Lithium, Stelazine. Xanax, Clonipin, and Ativan have been used on and off, mostly Clonipin. Went through serious Xanax withdrawal a couple times in my life so far. Methadone (2003-2005 - psychiatrist/pain management doctor decided that was the first thing I ought to try for moderate chronic pain).  MS Contin 2005-2007 (aka Morphine)

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy