Sunny1008

Digestive problems: Nausea, Diarrhea, Bloating, GERD

272 posts in this topic

I had severe nausea associated with lamictal withdrawal for well over a year...it was one of the (many) worst symptoms I had...awful...and nausea is often associated with lamictal in any case, yes

I couldn't eat among other things...

I lived on ginger tincture...I used gaia brand and would do two shots in a bit of water and down it...around the clock...it helped somewhat...and was the only thing that did...

I hope you don't have to deal with it to the extent I did...ginger really did ease it a bit, but not as much as would have allowed me to be functional (if that were the only symptom I was dealing with)

much later when I could stand and cook etc I started making my own ginger concentrate with fresh ginger root boiled in water

I can cook, haven't tried ginger. Do you think if I just boil some in water, like making ginger tea, that would work?

Thanks for the reassurance about the nausea. There's just not a ton of information about Lamictal withdrawal out there and every time it happens I think the tiny cut I made surely couldn't be causing it.  (Actually I always think that about withdrawal symptoms...)

I'm only cutting about 0.5 mg to 1 mg at a time, but I'm probably not holding long enough. I get the feeling Lamictal withdrawal unfolds over a long period of time. Seems like it takes 4-5 days before I even feel a cut, then gets worse for a few days, then as it starts to get better I cut again even though I should probably hold a little longer. It's just so derned frustrating, this is the drug I'm on the highest dose of and it's the hardest to reduce! Plus frustrating because supposedly Lamictal's not hard to get off of for a lot of people. 

I also get intense reflux that sometimes leads to vomiting.

I think for sure the night shift is a factor, maybe the major one, but the Lamictal cuts show a definite pattern with the nausea.  If I were a patient woman I would hold it for a while and see if I still had the nausea just from the night shift alone. But I'm not very patient. I want off the stuff.

yes...ginger tea is good too...just play with it and see what is helpful to you.

I used to get bouts of weird reflux too, but I can't remember when specifically (like whether it was associated in particular to lamictal in any way)

in any case I no longer ever have any reflux at all...

HI- One of my biggest issues with withdrawl from Lexapro and Wellbutrin is nausea. The family doc switched me from lexapro to zoloft without weaning me, plus before I knew that was causing me issues I started weaning from the wellbutrin. I have had anxiety issues, but the major one has been severe nausea. Does anyone have anything that helped for them with this symptom?

Thanks so much!!!!

Sorry to hear things haven't been going so well for you. You could try some ginger. I use either fresh ginger in hot water or natural ginger tablets (usually used for motion sickness)

Dalsaan

Thank you so much!!! I will get some tomorrow.

Sunny I know exactly how you feel, especially with the severe acid reflux. I you found something that helped, please share with me. I take Toms and Zantac, but they're barely half effective... And I don't want to take that for weeks and weeks...

I have been taking probiotics for many months now but that doesn't seem to help either.

Looking forward to some input on this! :)

Thanks!!

Athena

DGL is great for acid reflux...

also I you'd like to learn to go drug free for acid reflux issues Chris Kresser has done extensive writing on how to manage that...I can speak to it having helped me...AND it healed my mother who was being told she needed surgery for GERD

http://chriskresser.com/heartburn

if you scroll down there is a collection of all his posts on the topic...I highly recommend it! 

Ever since I started to cut down on Cymbalta and had a failed CT after a fast taper, I've been severely constipated. I finally had a laproscopic surgery to look for endometriosis due to the increasingly severe menstrual cramps the last three + years, but the doctor found nothing. Instead, he felt my issue was more possibly due to IBS as he said my bowl was really full. I didn't even realize I was that constipated. This has really been an issue since quitting Adderall after a while and then even more so after cutting down on Cymbalta. My guess is that it's a nervous system effect.

My really bad menstrual issues also didn't get this awful until I started Adderall and Cymbalta within months or one another a few or so years ago. I never put two and two together until I started thinking about how long things have been this bad with my cramps. I seem to get more constipated past ovulation and then have looser stools after my period starts.

So I will be going to see a GI doc and will get tested for celiac and lactose intolerance. I mostly eat gluten free but slip up here and there (especially living at my mom's for now who bakes a lot) and am keeping track of my symptoms when I do.

I also have had bad acid relux and heartburn since stopping Adderall and cutting down on Cymbalta.

I think I am going to get some good probiotics instead of just relying on greek yogurt in my smoothie. But there is definitely now more of a constipation issue with this withdrawal business, including nausea.

Sunny I know exactly how you feel, especially with the severe acid reflux. I you found something that helped, please share with me. I take Toms and Zantac, but they're barely half effective... And I don't want to take that for weeks and weeks...

I have been taking probiotics for many months now but that doesn't seem to help either.

Looking forward to some input on this! :)

Thanks!!

Athena

Reducing carbohydrates, especially starches, really helps me with my reflux.  I have to be sort of religious about it for a few weeks and then I have more slack, but once I get off track and have a bout of eating sweets or something it gets bad again and I have to start over.  As long as I keep the carbs down I do okay (I also eat yogurt and kefir and take probiotics).

I was really amazed how much cutting out the carbs made the reflux go away almost overnight. Especially bread and starchy foods. It's easy to do, give it a try and if it doesn't help within a couple of days, nothing lost.

Eating too much causes problems for me. I've found it's best to back away from filling my stomach.

Recently, I found a probiotic juice (Goodbelly) to be vastly more effective than a probiotic in a capsule, which might not be live by the time you take it. The juice is a fresh product in the refrigerator section of the market.

If you can tolerate magnesium, it is very helpful for constipation.

Thanks for the reminder. I have magnesium oxide pills for migraine and I have not been taking them. I will try that. Thanks! Goodbelly sounds good as well.

Catw66,

Just an FYI ... if you are already eating a gluten free diet then any blood test your physician runs will likely show up negative ... if they scope your intestines they can see whether or not the villi are damaged and can make a diagnosis from that.  But if you have been gluten free long enough your villi will begin to heal.

Hi there : have not been on site for sometime but continue to suffer from NAUSEA / main symptom from cold turkey withdrawal of nortriptyline

5 months ago . Tried almost everything .. Started probiotics two weeks ago nothing yet but hoping it may help ... Anyone have any recommendations for me ?

Sad overwhelmed by all of this !

Hi everyone :D

This is a weird one I know, but it works well.  Chewing liquorice root. If you can't find the liquorice root in a health food store even a good quality liquorice often helps with nausea.  Liquorice root is available in powder, tea, supplements and candy.  It works!

EagleWolf

Ugh! I'm certainly familiar with the nausea. There's been lots of it in my life - motion sickness, the flu, pregnancy, and now withdrawal - and I've tried everything.

I concur with the posts above re GINGER and LICORICE. I find ginger beer (it's not an alcoholic beverage) is the most helpful. I also use ginger gum. Ginger tea is nice because it's also soothing. If you don't care for the taste of ginger, then you can take a ginger pill or chew on licorice root or licorice candy.

There's also an ACCUPRESSURE POINT on the inside of your wrist which you can press and hold to help with nausea. Here's a youtube video with a good demonstration of how to find the correct point and apply pressure: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcZs6BYFyTo. In my experience, you'll know you've found the spot because within 15-30 seconds you can feel the nausea diminishing. This is a partucilarly good remedy if your nausea comes in waves because you can catch it quickly and get immediate and profound relief. Unfortunately, if your nausea is continuous, you'll find you have to continue to hold the pressure point.

There are a few companies that make an ELECTRONIC WRISTBAND that activates the same triggerpoint and provides better continuous relief than manually applying pressure with the accupressure technique. From what I've found, these devises are by far the most effective non-drug treatment available, but they're not inexpensive. I purchased one from this company, http://neurowavemedical.com/products/motionsickness, about 8 years ago, and have used it quite a bit.

There are apparently equivalent devices at this site, http://www.reletex.com/frequently-asked-questions as well as lots of FAQs. A possible advantage of purchasing from this second manufacturer is that since this company markets the devise as a treatment for "postoperative nausea" they will only sell you one if you have a prescription from your MD, and if the device is prescribed by your MD, you might be able to get at least a part of the cost covered by insurance.

Of course, research these devices thoroughly yourself and check with your MD before purchasing or using one to mitigate your symptoms of nausea.

I hope that helps. Good luck.

-Mtnbkr.

Has your nausea stopped ? I hope so .. I am in my fifth month of it and nothing seems to help ! Ginger licorice I,ve tried everything .. I just hope you are better ? .. That would provide some encouragement . I just ordered a wristband that shoots electrical shocks ( mild)

That is suppose to help with nausea .. I will let everyone know if it does

Healing thoughts your way ..

Spencer

Hi Spencer,

I am sorry you are suffering from naucea for so long .. :( I too am suffering, since I made a cut in my Ativan dose, almost a month ago ..

Ginger tea helps a little, but the naucea comes back.

What is the wristband called? Is it helping you so far?

I would like to look into it ..

Thank you Spencer, wishing that you will feel better soon.

Love, Lexi

I'm not having the nausea so much now, so I guess it was the Lamictal since I've been holding it for a while now. But other tummy stuff is happening now. I'm certain that my graveyard shift is contributing to the problem but until I go off of it I won't know how much.

Once I get back onto the evening schedule I'll start tapering the Lamictal more aggressively (which for me is still pretty slow, like 2 mg a month instead of 1 mg a month!) and see if the nausea comes back.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with that Spencer, for sure let us know if that wristband thing helps!

Hi there Lexi and Gold Star

Thanks for your kind replies

The wristband is from the distributor Aeromedix . I ordered last week not received as of yet but I assure you if I get any relief I will share asap.

I am drinking ginger tea but honestly it does very little .. I am desperate for something that could take the edge off .. Will keep searching I started a regimen of probiotics .. Advised that it may help heal the gut ? Felt ok first week however last week my symptoms are so nasty however, I am not sure that there is a relationship ? Anyone try probiotics ?

I am trying so hard to focus and believe this will end .., just not so easy these days . Thanks again for your replies I will be in touch !!

Healing thoughts for all

Spencer

Hi Spencer,

What is it that you are tapering from?

I do not see your signature ..Spencer, probiotics made me ill ..I quit taking them.

Feel better, and I hope that the wristband will work ..

wouldn't that be a blessing ..!!

Thinking of you, and wishing you peace, and well bring.

Love, Lexi

Hi Lexi

I stopped low dose notriptyline in February .. After a few weeks of awful symptoms I started again and within 5 days quit again ( I was so sick from the reinstatement ) and to boot I was now paralyzed with fear of what this drug was doing .soooo I have been struggling ever since .. As mentioned the nausea is 24/7 .. The other symptoms headache chills seem tolerable compared to the nausea .

I have had 3 brief windows to note which tg as its given me a glimmer of hope . I had no idea about tapering and or the impact of these drugs ..I was prescribed it for pain from several back to back surgeries ... I would take the pain anytime vs this experience .

Anyhow thanks for your reply .. Not sure how to set up my signature ?? I think I found the site in march or so first time in any forum.

As for the probiotics ?? Umm not sure whether to continue at first I had no reaction but last week I had such a spike in symptoms .. How did they make you feel ? See if I can. Determine whether they are not helping .

One of the worse things about this process is that I am never sure if something is a trigger and I look desperately to understand if I did or ate anything ! To provoke a flare .

Well for now , My nausea is dialed down a notch .. Hoping for a bit of a reprieve this week .. So I can get back on the saddle when it returns !!

Take good care ,

Healing thoughts your way

I had significant gut problems from tapering Xanax. Also... when tapering the lexapro had nausea... ginger tea ( from fresh root) did help with that.

As for the xanax I got terrible bloating, water retention, and intermittent constipation & diarrhea. It got so bad I had to halt my taper. 

I went to see a naturopath who happens to be a family friend. This was the beginning of July. She suggested I quit eating complex carbs & refined sugar, that 1/3 of what is on my plate be "builders" like potatoes, sweet potaoes, lentils, low cal cheese, unprocessed meats etc. & that the rest be "eliminators" like fresh fruits and vegetables. Oh. And eat yogurt with live cultures... a natural probiotic.

I also began to ferment my own vegetables...   also with probiotic benefit  although you have to go slow with that.

It took some time but in about 3 weeks I started to feel the results.. I lost a little weight, the painful bloating was gone almost immediately & after awhile longer my BMs became more normal. A surprising side effect has been that my normal once a day head aches that required ibuprofen have disappeared! I feel better & healthier and actually am eating quite a lot but we have a garden to graze from on a daily basis. I do green smoothies... an easy way to incorporate those leafy greens that I really am not that crazy about. 

I've started to taper again but am able to taper a little more steeply because of the diet changes. I still have gut problems at the beginning of the taper... not going to lie... but at least I can proceed.

Don't know if this wil help any but thought it was worth a shot.

RU

ps. I avoid any and all artificial type supplements myself it it can beget them from a more natural diet that , with a little research & perhaps inconvenience is more believable. Maybe I'm just sick of pills. Don't get me wrong.. I take a vitamin D supplement myself but would just rather eat more properly.

I am having nausea.  I also have the pain from diverticulitis which has been bugging me a about two weeks.  Sadly I am now taking Doxycycline in the event there is an infection.  The antibiotic can cause nausea.  Disgusting isn't it.

I absolutely can't stand myself.  Nausea, feeling lousy, aches and pains, anxiety....I just don't talk about it anywhere but here.  I am sick of myself.

Joined Weight Watcher's and have not followed thru with it.

I told myself a few times today that "nothing changes, if nothing changes'.  It sux when your body doesn't work right.

And now I am telling myself that "this too shall pass'  but  when?

" I am sick of myself". I soooo get this Nikki! One time my husband told me "When you get this way I just have to go somewhere ( as to visit a neighbor et.). I broke down and cried and told him "You're lucky!!! I want to get away fro myself too!!! But I can't!!"

When I get like that, where nothing goes right, I am focused on everything that is wrong, and I just can't find my way out of that place, I'd give ANYTHING for a break from myself but can't. It truly does suck and unless you've been there it is impossible to understand.

Those of us who have supportive loved ones, even if they get sick of us but stick around, well.... we're the lucky ones!!!

Hope you get an upswing soon!! Sometimes they feel so far away. That's the blessing of windows though. They give you hope. And then when you hear others who have windows it gives you courage. 

RU :)

I have a friend who says "Wherever I go, there I am".  Which is the jest of what you were saying about your husband taking a break and you can't.

I still have nausea.  I forgot to mention that a teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water can help with nausea.

Will purchase some today.

I think the antibiotics contribute, but I had it before I took it and my daughter has been complaining of nausea.

RU.....hugs and let's believe it will get better.

Merged similar topics.

Eating too much causes problems for me. I've found it's best to back away from filling my stomach. Recently, I found a probiotic juice (Goodbelly) to be vastly more effective than a probiotic in a capsule, which might not be live by the time you take it. The juice is a fresh product in the refrigerator section of the market. If you can tolerate magnesium, it is very helpful for constipation.

Goodbelly is really helping me right now. My gut got damaged from 4 days of an antibiotic. Goodbelly contains a very specific organism, Lactobacillus plantarum 299v, which occurs naturally in humans and survives stomach acid, etc. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15702859

It's been shown in studies to be effective for IBS. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19785495The only other source I've found for Lactobacillus plantarum 299v is Jarrow Ideal Bowel Support 299v, which I'm going to try, because it seems right now I need to load up on dear little L. plantarum 299v.

I had severe nausea associated with lamictal withdrawal for well over a year...it was one of the (many) worst symptoms I had...awful...and nausea is often associated with lamictal in any case, yes I couldn't eat among other things... I lived on ginger tincture...I used gaia brand and would do two shots in a bit of water and down it...around the clock...it helped somewhat...and was the only thing that did... I hope you don't have to deal with it to the extent I did...ginger really did ease it a bit, but not as much as would have allowed me to be functional (if that were the only symptom I was dealing with)

Hi GiaK

Did the nausea stop ? Was there anything other than the ginger that helped! ( as it has not helped me )

Desperate for some relief but knowing yours ended will help me hang in there !!

Thanking you

it did eventually but I'd say for about 2 years I was in hell with it (and a whole slew of other symptoms)...I'm sorry some of you are dealing with it...it was ugly...I could hardly eat for months at a time. 

now I only rarely have nausea and it's nothing like it was back then. 

and no...nothing really helped much...ginger just barely touched it but it was better than doing nothing...sorry I don't have anything better to say

Hello everyone

Well I thought I would update and see if anyone can provide some info

I continue to struggle with chronic nausea I am now 11 months off of nortriptyline . I have tried virtually all approaches to eliviate to no avail . Some windows throughout and probably a handful of days where I had no nausea .

I have lost weight and quite frankly weary from this symptom ... Others are more tolerable .

Two weeks ago I had an endoscopy and a small hiatel hernia was found and an ulcer on my eshopogus . Biopsies were negative tg.

This indicates some acid reflux ( although I do not suffer from heartburn ). The Dr prescribed nexium however I am so reluctant to take this drug or any for that matter ? Has anyone taken it with ++ results ? I have bought a book called dropping acid which has a good diet however I already have such a restrictive diet ( no caffeine no alcohol gluten free ) I am afraid that I cannot self heal with diet ?

I have tried probiotics a few times but I am sure that my nausea increases .. I cannot take or tolerate much of any supplement ( fish oil ok) but one magnesium or a Tylenol is too much .

I would like to know for support has anyone suffered from nausea this long ? And if so when did it stop ? Did anything HELP

Should I take the nexium ? I did not fill the rx waiting to go back the Dr. For my follow up.. However she is not accepting of my withdrawal what so ever .. As I told her I was not tolerate of drugs and she scoffed at the suggestion that I would like to take a less potent drug .

I started Dcl licorice as it can help heal the gut but I have read that it may not be good for withdrawal .. I am so overwhelmed by what to do or not do ?

Can the acid reflux be from the withdrawal ?and will it subside as a heal ?

Lastly is there any Dr in Canada that treats withdrawal .. I have had no luck finding anyone

My Drs here have humiliated me by dismissing that these symptoms are from withdrawal .. I just carry on I hopes that I recover through

Support from this website that helps to validate my struggles

Ps : I am not technically savvy and would like to change my email and password .. Do I rejoin as a member to do so?

Sorry for the all the questions

Wishing everyone a happy and healthier 2014 !! Healing thoughts sent your way

Currently experiencing this now. Not fun. Feels like my stomach is a beehive. I will not reinstate. Instead I will hold off on my taper and wait for things to settle. Then I will take it much slower. 

Is there anything that helps the pain? Or should I just wait it out?

I know it's been a while but what did you do? Did you just ride it out?

Hi Altostrata, I tried to find the Goodbelly, but couldn't find it here in Montréal. I have contacted them to see if they could ship it around here and am waiting for their response. It seems like a good product and I very much want to try it! :)