Sunny1008

Digestive problems: Nausea, Diarrhea, Bloating, GERD

272 posts in this topic

Since I've been tapering/ stopping Prozac, I've had bad stomach pain, bloating, acid. I take a probiotic, but the discomfort remains so I doubt it is helping much. It's like the cheapest one you can get at Walgreens, though, and my diet is far from optimal for healing. Before I took any drugs like maybe five years ago, I had unexplainable stomach pain so who knows what's up now.

Is this part of protracted withdrawal syndrome? I've been feeling more bloated longer before my period and after it as well. I don't know if it's that I just have a little middle-age spread going on and am self-conscious about it or what, but I often feel bloated and full - like my stomach is not emptying out enough. I used to have a pretty flat stomach.

I have recently, in the past four days, cut out dairy and still do gluten here and there, but not a whole lot.

I have a hard time believing that after months of giving up psych meds that I would be going through strange symptoms that may be related to coming off of them. But I guess if anyone would go through PWS from meds, it might be me as I was on them so many years and took just about all of them. Is denial that all this could be happening possible too?

I just feel like everything I eat feels gross and like I'm being poisoned by food or something. Sometimes I feel like is this just me or PWS? I had an eating disorder many years ago and this is making me very uncomfortable - worrying that because I am not on meds, I am going to start becoming obsessive about my body and food. I definitely don't feel comfortable in my own skin or attractive anymore, though when I practice yoga, I get some relief from all this - at least perception wise.

Would digestive enzymes help? Anyone else have this and had to make any dietary changes? It is not always present, but some days it is a real pain and I never had this issue to such a prolonged extent before.

I often feel bloated and react to lots of different foods. I find my body needs more time to digest food, and I get constipated a lot. This only improved when I changed my diet - I now eat less often, and only eat light, clean foods. I don't eat grains or carb-heavy foods anymore, or things that take ages to digest. My bloating has also improved since going on a low-histamine diet. 

Well, my gut seems to have stopped digesting food. Fats are not digested at all, for carbs and proteins I'm not sure. As a result I lost 9 kg of weight in 1.5 months, was constantly hungry, muscles started to atrophy, feeling like a zombie etc.

1.5 weeks ago I started taking pancreatic enzymes that I found here locally. Now I feel a little better and weight loss has stopped, but it feels like these enzyme formulas are too week and I wasn't able to gain some weight.

Can someone, please, recommend a good enzyme blend, where 1 tablet would digest at least 30g of fat? There are so many different confusing enzyme strength units in US - USP, LU, FIP, FCC. Not sure which to choose.

And probably someone had experience with Dr. Mercola's enzymes?

Thanks for coming in and much healing to everyone.

I use NOW brand, but I don't have any gi symptoms, just food allergies.

Withdrawal definitely messes with my GI tract.

YES!!! Whenever I taper either the AD or anti anxiety I experience gas and bloating sometimes constipation and sometimes diarrhea. It can be very embarrassing and it is uncomfortable.

Someone on her not long ago talked about their regular brain and then their "belly brain" as it related to WD symptoms.

Rest assured that you are not alone!!

RU

What is your diet like? 

When I tried a lower carb and grain free diet my digestion of meat seemed to improve. Have you tried Betaine HCL? 

Hi ndmaar,

Had the exact same thing caused by mirtazapine. Had it bad for a few months, then it slowly got better. Still not 100% and i need to watch what i eat. I take an enzyme supplement sometimes, especially when eating barbecue, large meals or hard digested foods.  

I found that i could digest somewhat long cooked meat and vegetable soup. Also found, like you, that digestive enzymes helped. For fat absorption you need also bile acid along with your digestive enzymes. I have tried several brands also. I think that there is a problem with stomach acid breaking down parts of the enzyme supplements. Taking more might help. Eating easily digested foods like long cooked meat soup that passes quicker through the stomach might bring more enzymes from your supplement through. (The enzymes is needed most after food passes the stomach.)

/Wulfgar

The paleo autoimmune diet has been a godsend for me. There is obviously something wrong with my gut, but I have never had IBS, GERD, or anything. On the diet, I have had mild candida die-off reactions, so I am trying to do candida/leaky gut treatment on my own. My brain fog and depression were virtually gone within 48 hrs of starting the diet. I am doing aloe vera extract, 1 digestive enzyme with each meal, and 20 billion count of probiotics/day, bone broth, and coconut oil which contains caprylic acid. I tried licorice root. But one capsule gave me energy....which means more would make me crazy. This started with realizing that my sensation of arrhythmia came after eating eggs, and my pdoc telling me that brain inflammation/autoimmune disease was something she had heard of but hadn't had time to study. Daytime thudding heart is gone now with the diet, and I also had to eliminate banana and avocado.

www.kellybroganmd.com talks a lot about diet and mental illness, I found the info on zonulin interesting. She writes that people who have psych symptoms in response to gluten often don't have GI symptoms. This is obviously different from gi problems from withdrawal.

Hey, guys. Many thanks for the comments. Aaargh, yesterday was tough, couldn't even reply.

Thanks, Phil. Probably trying Betaine HCL won't hurt.

There are many things on autoimmune paleo not allowed list which I also don't tolerate, but I don't feel like I'm having bad reactions to most of grains (except buckwheat). Dairy, eggs, some nuts and seeds - yes, they flare up autoimmune response immediately.

Wulfgar, it makes me afraid that in my case liver damage from mirtazapine could also contribute to this indigestion/malabsorption. My liver enzymes ALT and AST are 3x-2x higher than norm at least since April, and there are other liver problems' symptoms. And that puts me facing a serious dilemma.

Hi ndmaar

You need a full spectrum enzyme.  I use Solaray brand Super Digestaway in combination with HCL betaine.  I actually take 4 capsules of enzymes with breakfast and dinner and 3 enzymes with lunch.  I take one HCL with breakfast and another with dinner.  You may find that you need to take more if what you can get doesn't have quite the strength you are looking for.

Note that I have taken this much enzyme and HCL for several years.  It was originally recommended by a nutritionist and I check back with my nutritionist on a regular basis to see if this combination is still supporting my gut health.

I also take 50+ billion CFU's of probiotics daily to keep yeast population in check.

I've also had very good success taking silymarin to help my liver detox and reduce elevated liver enzymes.  You can also use milk thistle.  I have a severe rag weed allergy and so I find I have better success with the silymarin extract from milk thistle.

My understanding is that it is difficult to get powerful supplements in the EU due to codex.  You may find you have better success with something out of the US if you can legally order it.

I have been on Cymbalta 20mg for about a year now. I was on 60mg for 6 years and over the last 2 years made it to 20mg with no issues. Once i started the taper from 20mg (I WONT RANT ABOUT THE FACT THAT 20MG IS THE SMALLEST DOES MADE). 

I have experienced the standard side effects such as nausea, extreme fatigue, headaches, brain zaps, etc. The only symptom i am finding unbearable are the stomach pains. It is a sharp pain directly above my abdomen. The pain is exacerbated when eating, but it is generally just a constant pain that i cannot seem to shake. I eat extremely healthy with very little sodium and fat as well as mostly vegetables and protein. This pain only comes when i decrease the additional 10 beads. Has anyone had this issue? I know that there is no magic cure for these withdrawal symptoms, and i have to push through if i want to get off of this toxic medication. Any ideas would be great

This pain is constant and not only when i eat.

Thanks 

You can ask your GI doc to prescribe CREON, it's covered by insurance and is quite potent.

Yeah, I've already tried Creon. It did work, but not satisfactory. Super Enzymes by Now Foods work better somehow. I've also tried ox bile and betaine hcl. Though I suppose the main problem in my case could be bad intestinal flora, sometimes I see a sound improvement after probiotic pills, though not always. Coconut yogurt also works, but in a different way. Waiting for 66 billion CFU probiotic pills to arrive. 

Yeah, I've already tried Creon. It did work, but not satisfactory. Super Enzymes by Now Foods work better somehow. I've also tried ox bile and betaine hcl. Though I suppose the main problem in my case could be bad intestinal flora, sometimes I see a sound improvement after probiotic pills, though not always. Coconut yogurt also works, but in a different way. Waiting for 66 billion CFU probiotic pills to arrive. 

Creon comes in various strengths.  Dosing strengths listed here: http://www.creon.com/CFHCP/DosingStrengths

It might have been a weak strength that you tried.  It is stronger than anything you can get retail and definitely stronger than the Super Enzymes by Now Foods.  I tried those, and they did nothing for me.  Also they oxidize and turn dark very fast, which Creon does not. However, they do not have HCl or Ox Bile which is maybe what you need.  But as for the enzyme potency Creon is stronger. I've compared the number of USP Units.

NOW Foods Super Enzymes vs. Creon

Protease 20,000 USP units  (Creon 9,500 - 114,000 USP)

Lipase 3,400 USP (Creon 3,000 - 36,000 USP)

Since the day I RI the Lexapro (at half dose) my stomach has been a mess. For the first week, week and a half, I could barely eat anything. My stomach felt so empty, burn-y, nauseated. It has improved a lot from then, but I still have no appetite, it feels full, tight, and full of air. The mornings are the worst, as I seem to improve as the day goes on. It has been about four weeks since RI and on Tuesday I went up to 5mg from 3.75mg on the advice of my doctor. It seems to be helping slowly. But I still have a lot of trouble eating breakfast and have no appetite. The cortisol mornings have gotten a little better over time but I still wake up with no appetite and my stomach feeling full and uncomfortable. Could all of this be due to reinstatement?

Forgot to add - I did have a blood test for h.pylori and it was negative.

Same thing happened to me when I reinstated - complete loss of appetite, major increase in palpitations and anxiety, major digestive issues, ZERO sleep, mornings were HORRIFIC with things improving as the day went on. Had constant crying jags, couldn't tolerate loud noises or music. Was unable to reinstate. Wish I never had stopped. Biggest mistake EVER.

I'm sorry to hear you had so much trouble! It's nice to know I'm not alone, though. The cortisol mornings have improved a lot. I put towels over my windows to block the morning light and started sleeping with a sleep mask, though I've since stopped using the mask. I'm not waking up super early and the morning anxiety has lessened. My stomach has gotten better, though still not 100%,, but my IBS has morphed and is causing me more issues. I'm pretty convinced that was caused by the withdrawal and reinstatement.

I am down to 14 items I can eat without a reaction :-/ the only protein I can tolerate is red meat or eggs (I know, great for my cholesterol) but, it's been this way about a month, and I'm hoping it will change soon. Having a hard time with constipation. Big time.

Just for entertainment:

Things I can eat

Red meat

Eggs

Cashews

Almonds

Apples

Squash

Millet

Zucchini

Pineapple

Peas

Cucumber

Grapes

Ok maybe it's 12

Since I left paroxetine on October, I start having this random diarrhea, several times a week or even a day. I’ve lost a few pounds too.

Now my psychiatrist put me on sertraline. I told him about the diarrhea but he says sertraline has nothing to do with it, period. He also says that it’s impossible for a withdrawal to last longer than a few weeks, so he told me that leaving paroxetine cannot be the cause of my current diarrhea.

Any suggestions?

Thank You

When I've had it, it's been part of my autonomic nervous system being way too active on the sympathetic side, which WD can definitely cause.

What is your pulse rate when you are in that mode?

Pulse rate is normal, I just can’t seem to get rid of this diarrhea.

I want to get some labs to see if my liver and general blood values are ok. Will try to get an appointment with a GI professional tomorrow.

When I stopped effexor I developed ibs type symptoms. I hear it has something to do with serotonin level. When I started escitalopram, the diarrhea has stopped. But I am getting it back now since I have started decreasing antidepressant. You can google serotonin and diarrhea...

So far I have no remedy for this. I have to avoid diary products, most of veg...I have to be very careful with suplements.

In times I had to use loperamide daily...

In the beginning I went to GP and they assumed I had pancreatic problems and put me on pancreatic enzymes.

Later on I was treated for leaky gut condition by naturopath...but the problem never stopped completely...

I strongly think that it has a lot to do with serotonin level...

I was also on zolpidem recently...i did not like what I read about it on Wikipedia...

I wish I had some answers for you. I can only sympathize...

When I've had it, it's been part of my autonomic nervous system being way too active on the sympathetic side, which WD can definitely cause.

I can definitely agree with autonimic nervous systen being way too active...i guess WD can trigger a typical "fight-flight-freeze" response. Some people get diarrhea in difficult, stressful situations...

Clayface. When did you start the sertraline?...that is zoloft and another nasty ssri . I wouldnt take it you are opening the door to another disaster imo. You are throwing away 3 months ssri drug freeness.

Your pdoc is a clueless idiot.

There is a major paradigm shift that we all have to make and some like myself are slower at making it than others and its this contrary to how we have been brought up and contrary to what society tells us and contrary to oaths made by people with letters after their name...doctors are very dangerous people and not to be trusted. These are not medicines being peddled they are potent brain altering addictive poisons. period.

Diarrhea is normal in wdl and it will go on for many many months. Ssri wdl can last for months /years that is a reality....not weeks as you have been told.

Check out post #14 in here

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7571-nz11-climbs-onboard/

It was explained to me that: The digestive issues are from the serotonin, too -- an overabundance of it. The majority of serotonin in the body is in the entochromaffin cells your GI tract. This controls intestinal movement.

And I trust this comment, as it comes from the person who helped me to stop effexor...but I did not realise this and unfortunately restarted using medication...

I started the sertraline almost a month ago.

I have to check with my psychiatrist on Monday to see what to do with it. He believed it would be better for my OCD than paroxetine, that’s why he prescribed it.

The thing is, I know here everybody hates SSRI. But I have to recognize that I have felt better when I was taking paroxetine. I believed it helped with my OCD symptoms, while on it I slept better and I had two years of full life with my studies, job and even vacations. I’ve never felt emotionally disconnected or any other issue most people tend to comment. Of course it was not a panacea, I had my obsessive days but I was able to cope with it.

The problem started when I left paroxetine on October.

I believe my psychiatrist is true trying to help me. Although he doesn’t believe on withdrawal lasting that long, he expects me to be able to live without medication when my mindfulness abilities has been properly trained. He’s a member of a contextual therapies center (third wave or ACT). I’m meditating every day and going to a group every Tuesday.

If I would have known about mindfulness when I started this journey, perhaps everything would have been different.

The point is that in need to be able to function. Sertraline doesn’t seem to be doing the trick, and I’m not willing to spend months with this bad sleep and the diarrhea issue. If I have to take paroxetine again to stop these symptoms I will do it…

Also, since I left paroxetine I lost about 10 pounds. That’s not very nice…

I’m studying psychology and I’m trying to figure out some things… in this forum, I presume people believe in psychiatric illnesses but not on psychiatric medications… am I right?

I say it because a few people responded about OCD.

Thank you.

I have this problem too. More seriously since I am on a smallish dose. I think it's part of the high energy/anxiety/revving neuro system we have. I just take an Imodium here and there when it's really bad. I also have lost weight. Not just because of diarrhea, but also because if super high energy and less feeling sedated.

I've had this for months. It's no big deal but I've always wondered what it is. Lately it's been worse - like a firework display going off in there, especially when my cortisol is high. Anybody have any idea?

As I have similar problem, I have been looking for solutions, and ordered a book on a diet called FODMAP.

The term FODMAP is an acronym, deriving from "Fermentable, Oligo-, Di-, Mono-saccharides And Polyols." These carbohydrates are commonly found in the modern western diet. The restriction of these FODMAPs from the diet has been found to have a beneficial effect for sufferers of irritable bowel syndrome and other functional gastrointestinal disorders (FGID). The low FODMAP diet was developed at Monash University in Melbourne by Peter Gibson and Susan Shepherd.Since its development, the diet has been studied for its efficacy for individuals with FGID and is now considered beneficial to be commonly recommended for individuals with FGID.

Poor absorption of most FODMAP carbohydrates is common to everyone. Any FODMAPs that are not absorbed in the small intestine pass into the large intestine, where bacteria ferment them. The resultant production of gas potentially results in bloating and flatulence. Most individuals do not suffer significant symptoms but some may suffer the symptoms of IBS. Restriction of FODMAP intake in the latter group has been found to result in improvement of symptoms.

Fructose malabsorption and lactose intolerance may produce IBS symptoms through the same mechanism but, unlike with other FODMAPs, poor absorption is found only in a minority of people. Many who benefit from a low FODMAP diet need not restrict fructose or lactose. It is possible to identify these two conditions with hydrogen and methane breath testing and thus eliminate the necessity for dietary compliance if possible.

My most troublesome symptom is GERD. I never had it until SSRI withdrawal. It's really bad for me. I try to use natural remedies to keep it at bay or cure it but it's not working consistently. I have a hard time with taking PPIs and H2 blockers. I don't feel very good after taking them although the GERD does get better. I was wondering if others had bad GERD during withdrawal and if it eventually went away for them. It makes me not want to eat anything. I eat very bland as it is.

I'm almost at the point of considering surgery to fix it. But u how there are risks with that too...