SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Don't worry - Ablixa aka Alipazone is FICTITIOUS!

Brandy

Just a heads up that a new movie with antidepressants a key plot element is scheduled for release February 8.

This is not a publicity release lol. But I do want to clarify that this is not the film of the same name from about five years ago. I'm referring to a suspense film directed by Steven Soderberg and written by Scott Z. Burns.

Already saw the trailer in movie theaters, but there's also an online website for the "new antidepressant" Ablixa, complete with extremely realistic "commercial" for the new wonder drug(!) I expect people in "the biz" will be getting "samples" and such in the mail soon. (There was a campaign that did things like that for the movie "Limitless.")

Unlike the fictitious NZT in "Limitless," the AD in the script is supposed to be a pharmaceutical med.

I found the trailer that's showing in theaters, and also the fake pharmaceutical commercial (and link to the "med's" website), here:

Steven Soderberg's New Film 'Side Effects'...

Hope this allays any upcoming hysteria. Doubt it. lol.

I was "TryingToGetWell" (aka TTGW) on paxilprogress. I also was one of the original members here on Surviving Antidepressants

I had horrific and protracted withdrawal from paxil, but now am back to enjoying life with enthusiasm to the max, some residual physical symptoms continued but largely improve. The horror, severe derealization, anhedonia, akathisia, and so much more, are long over.

My signature is a temporary scribble from year 2013. I'll rewrite it when I can.

If you want to read it, click on http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/209-brandy-anyone/?p=110343

• Administrator

OMG, Dr. Jude Law just recommended Ablixa for me http://www.tryablixa.com/evaluation/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

OMG, Dr. Jude Law just recommended Ablixa for me http://www.tryablixa.com/evaluation/

He probably knows about as much about all this as almost all doctors. *sigh*

(Just remember if it poops out on you to taper by no more than 10%...)

:lol:

I was "TryingToGetWell" (aka TTGW) on paxilprogress. I also was one of the original members here on Surviving Antidepressants

I had horrific and protracted withdrawal from paxil, but now am back to enjoying life with enthusiasm to the max, some residual physical symptoms continued but largely improve. The horror, severe derealization, anhedonia, akathisia, and so much more, are long over.

My signature is a temporary scribble from year 2013. I'll rewrite it when I can.

If you want to read it, click on http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/209-brandy-anyone/?p=110343

OK, if Alto took the test, I had to.

The good doctor told me that although I did answer all 3 questions (re symptoms of depression) "No" I MAY STILL BE SUFFERING FROM DEPRESSION. He suggested further evaluation. And said he could make some referrals. :angry:

Of course, I imagine there might be some wait to see those "referrals" since they may be enjoying luxurious vacations in Hawaii...

• Administrator

Or another compelling actor.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator

See the end of the denverpost.com movie review

Pharmaceutical thriller "Side Effects" makes for a mind-engaging ride

http://www.denverpost.com/movies/ci_22534779/pharmaceutical-thriller-side-effects-makes-mind-engaging-ride

WOW!!

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

omg! My "caution" was rather tongue-in-cheek, although not entirely since I did read about confusion among some people taking a similar promotion seriously with the movie Limitless.

I saw Side Effects already and would be glad to discuss it with anyone interested. I saw it before it was in general release, and I plan to see it again (once my severe respiratory allergy attack of recent days subsides!), just to clarify in my mind a few things, and mostly because I'm curious to see what the reaction of a full audience will be. (There were only about a dozen of us at the screening I attended, and they were very quiet throughout. I took that to be that they were caught up in the film, which is a complex psychological suspense thriller.)

It's not a horror movie, as a family member thought it might be based on seeing a trailer. But it might be disturbing to people in w/d due to some startling and occasionally violent scenes (though there was a spoiler to one of them - I hate that! - in the review Alto linked to).

If anyone has any general questions about the movie, let me know. If any questions have spoilers, I think it's only fair to start a separate "SPOILERS" thread, which I will do and link to if the answers to any questions will give away any of the film's content.

(I very rarely read reviews until after seeing movies, because reviews nowadays ruin watching a movie for me by giving away too many plot points. Even the ending sometimes! I can't believe it. Reviews used to be to discuss the merits of films only. Now critics who generally see films before the public can, ruin it for the rest of us.)

Well, end of rant. Very curious to know what others think of it when and if they see it.

P.S. I was tempted to post in the Silver Lingings thread that if there was product placement re the mention of Seroquel, then Side Effects will make a fortune regardless of box office lol. Some of that is seen in the U.K. trailer. I can find the link to that if anyone wants to see it online.

I saw (part) of Side-Effects yesterday...

A little vignette (contains SPOILER about the film SIDE-EFFECTS)

http://beyondmeds.com/2013/02/15/a-little-vignette-contains-spoiler-about-the-film-side-effects/

for those interested in my thoughts who don't care if the story is given away...

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

I've not seen the movie or much of the promotional material but I saw a report on a movie-geek site that riffed on how the marketing campaign was a giant misdirect. That the movie is being marketed as a thriller to general audiences but it's actually something else.

I don't know what the 'something else' is exactly.

I used to like movies and liked Sex, Lies & Videotape. I think I liked the Elmore Leonard one too with Clooney and Lopez and Albert Brooks ... I quit watching movies much around 2000ish when I got really into psychiatric Drugs.

I'm looking forward to the Star Trek sequel because I liked Star Trek. And I'm looking forward to the Hunger Games sequel b/c I like Jennifer Lawrence.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

I've not seen the movie or much of the promotional material but I saw a report on a movie-geek site that riffed on how the marketing campaign was a giant misdirect. That the movie is being marketed as a thriller to general audiences but it's actually something else.

I don't know what the 'something else' is exactly.

It's definitely a thriller, but most people equate thrillers with horror movies and the like, and this is a psychological suspense thriller.

Merriam-Webster - thriller

(It does have some brief sudden violence, etc., however, so probably should not be viewed - at least not yet - by anyone in the "terror" stage of w/d that some of us experience.)

(I had that and it was totally uncharacteristic of me. Gone now. But in acute w/d, for some time I had a startle response that was over the top. Again, JUST THE OPPOSITE OF MY NORMAL SELF.

(Because of that, I told myself to watch light comedies instead of my usual preference for detective and noir shows. [And yes, definitely psychological suspense/thriller films! Love 'em! Never liked horror movies, but love suspense and mystery films.

(Wouldn't ya know it, I watched a d*ck Van Dyke comedy-drama, the kind of thing I'd normally never be inclined to watch - and it had a startling moment that scared me more than anything. I screamed - something I normally never do even in real-life terrifying incidents - and my heart started racing so fast I had to mentally talk myself through calming down. After quickly switching off the show, of course.

(Went back to watching almost nothing but CNN lol. And I was fine with Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune. Just til I got past that first year or so of w/d.)

GiaK, I'm so proud of you for getting that far through a movie that not only has a heavy theme - not what would normally be the first choice for getting back into watching movies after w/d lol! - but (deliberately) visusally jarring camera work and certainly sudden loud music etc. And startling moments, even when not gory. Given what I know of your med recovery experience (from way back on another group, as well as here), that certainly tells me you're having some major healing.

As for your vignette and the linked article, I had some slightly different points of view that might be of interest to you, which I'll post in a "spoiler thread" a little later. (I'll post a link here.) In a nutshell, I don't know that it's necessarily a slap in the face to psych med sufferers. I'll explain more later in another thread. But it will be interesting to see what discussions it might generate among the general viewing public.

Hey Brandy,

Luckily, despite great memory and cognitive impairment, I was able to recall where I saw the remarks about the publicity around Side Effects.

I think I mischaracterized the issue. For your enjoyment, here's what one movie geek thought of the marketing and why it was misleading. Note that the writer is very enthusiatic about the quality of the movie itself:

Just a week away from release, Open Road Films has gone ahead and dropped another trailer for Steven Soderbergh's latest (and perhaps last theatrical) film SIDE EFFECTS, and, having seen the film already, it's really interesting how they've been trying to sell this movie to the public, because all these trailers are incredibly misleading for what the movie is about... but then again, they're not. Everything you see, more or less, takes place as it's shown within the movie, but context is key here. So what you've got is a bit of a story arc that makes up a portion of the film, but it's hardly what the entire film is about or what it focuses on. This is one of those cases of making sure asses are in the seats by showing audiences the type of movie the studio wants them to see... but once they've plunked their money down and found their spot in the theatre, what they're in store for is so much better.

I don't want to get too much into it, because SIDE EFFECTS is filled with twists and turns that are better off being discovered on your own... but just know that what you see here is not exactly what you get. It's definitely a part of it... but it goes a lot deeper than what's on the surface here.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/60690

I don't think I'd be able to sit through a movie that cuts so close to home. Maybe someday. I also confess that I don't have any idea who Mara Rooney is! I have agthered that she's a pretty famous actress.

best,

Alex

- Zimmerman

Gia,

I think it's doubly impressive that your first movie in five years was a movie with huge potential to be triggering. Alas, it didn't keep your butt in its seat til the finish but I think it's a definite act of courage. More courageous than I could be, honestly.

- Zimmerman

• Administrator

I'm only starting to be able to watch suspense films again. I used to love them.

I saw Argo recently and had to keep deep breathing. And it didn't even have a lot of surprises. (A good film, btw.)

I couldn't get the video to work but I found it so creepy and it reminded me of my career as a psych patient.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

I did mean to pass along an trifling, but interesting speculation that I read about Steven Soderbergh and his movie Side Effects.

Perhaps soderbergh, who is a fairly prolific filmmaker is an avid adderall/psychostimulant user and the movie is a riff on the complainers who may someday complain enough that he loses his adderall.

I thought it was interesting speculation, in that trifling kind of way.

- Zimmerman

I saw this movie today. The friend I was with says she'll never take an aspirin again! I thought the movie was very scary about antidepressants - nothing new to us on this site, I'm afraid. The first half of the movie was really well done I thought. I didn't "get" all the convolutions leading up to the end but "got" the gist of it all and thought it a really well-done movie.

• Administrator

Saw "Side Effects" yesterday. It makes psychiatric treatment and psychiatrists look really creepy, and the drugs very unappealing.

Rather than being pro-drug, I thought it was extremely cynical, as demonstrated by the fake Ablixa ads.

Otherwise, a clockwork thriller -- the crime in the first half, then the painstaking unraveling of the scheme in the second.

Saw "Side Effects" yesterday. It makes psychiatric treatment and psychiatrists look really creepy, and the drugs very unappealing.

Rather than being pro-drug, I thought it was extremely cynical, as demonstrated by the fake Ablixa ads.

Otherwise, a clockwork thriller -- the crime in the first half, then the painstaking unraveling of the scheme in the second.

Gosh, I gotta see this movie. Maybe next weekend.

CS

• 1 month later...

Finally saw the movie and was even able to drive to the theater vs. taking metro which normally I would do.

Agree with the comments that the first half was well done but could have done without the rest. And as Gianna, I felt like I was watching my life.

CS

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy