SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ Aberdeen's recovery from Effexor and now a Paxil taper

aberdeen

I have been feeling much better today, I had less morning anxiety and only a few spells of DR. I actually felt close to happiness a few times, as i always do in the few days of my cycle between period and the next round of PMS. I have to vent a bit about teh format here on SA (sorry)...but I hate how fast my journal sinks down...even if i left my journal for a week or more on PP it was still on page 1 or maybe the top of page 2. Is it because there are more people here? I feel pressured to write more in case I lose my journal,lol.

My daughter seems happier about school. She is healing from a cough/cold that must have been adding to it all for her, and Ive been giving her kefir for several days in a row, taking a break for a few days. Whatever it is, Im happy to see her back to her own self, thank God. I will be watching to see what triggers cause the free floating anxiety, should it ever come back. It was so strange and hard to see her being different like that...not her at all.

8 days post drop....time will tell how it continues. I wasnt feeling the best when I dropped, have to remember that for reference.

2 Timothy 1-7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Effexor 75mg to 262.5mg 2005-2010 for post partum depression

Started having poop out mid 2010, also switched generic brands, then crashed in Dec 2010 (anxiety/ "terror", intense DR, anhedonia, suicidal ideation, chills, insomnia, horrible intrusive thoughts, disorientation, ect)
Rapid "tapered" from 262.5mg Effexor in 3 months

Tried Celexa,Cipralex, then Paxil to deal with wd(this switching made things worse and added akathesia)

Found online support and started tapering Paxil 7 months after quitting Effexor (at this point was having small windows).

Paxil taper: dropped 10% every 4-8 weeks

Year 1 October 2011 to Nov 2012 20mg to 10mg

Year 2 March 2013 to Feb 2014 10mg to 4mg

Year 3 April 2014 to May 2015 4mg to 1.1mg

Year 4 June 2015 1.1mg , dropping by 10% until .5mg, after then dropped by 0.1mg every 5 weeks until 0.1mg.

Finished! Official last dose of 0.1mg on June 15/16

I'm so glad to hear you had a better day! I'm also very happy to hear your daughter is feeling better as well.

Yes, there are definitely a lot of people here. I think you can follow your own journal if you hit the top right button "Follow this topic." Then when you want to find your journal you can click your name at the very top right and then click "Content I follow" and it will bring up all the threads you're subscribed to.

a.k.a JMarie

Paxil since Mar.1998

2006-2007:40-20mg
2009: 20mg to 14mg 2010: 14mg to 10.5mg 2011: 10.5 to 7.6mg  2012: 7.5 to 6.8mg

2013: 6.7-6.3mg 2014: 6.2mg-5.8mg 2015: 5.7 to 5.15mg 2016: 5.1-4.6mg

1/19/17: 4.5mg 3/17/17: 4.4mg

6/15/17: 4.35mg 8/10/17: 4.3mg

1/29/18: 4.1mg 5/07/18: 4.0mg

7/31/18: 3.9mg

Aberdeen that's great about your daughter!  And you feeling 'close to happiness'.   Woot!

Your daughter might just be recovering her gut flora.  She's young and healthy and with the kefir etc - it just might be happening fast - whatever - it's good to see an improvement.  :)

Put on Prothiaden for severe depression in 1989.  Recovered.   Prescribed Paxil for another bout of depression around 2000.   Have been trying to taper ever since but always crash about 2 months after getting to zero.   Because of the crashes, for years I thought that there was something wrong with me.   Then found that the crashes were simply withdrawal.   Now following a maximum of a 10% reduction every month or so and ready to slow down any time I feel any symptoms whatsoever.  Feeling good:).

7th Jan 15 - 3.6mg

28th Jan 15 - 3.2mg

^^ What she said

Personal history of GAD and 4 melancholic depressive episodes - two treated with Amityptline

Family history of Bipolar Disorder - goes back at least 3 generations

Adult son with autism, ADHD, intellectual disability and Bipolar II

Put on Aropax / Paxil in July 1997 for anther episode.  Decision to stay on it - worst decision of my life.

Began to poop out in late 2008. Switched to Lexapro March 2009.  Made me suicidal.  Tried Cymbalta for 19 days. Horrible w/d.

Found PP and RI'd Aropax at about the same time - August 2009.  Began slow taper in 2010. Crashed in 13-11mg range in mid 2013.  Switched to Citalopram 21 Oct 2013 in an attempt to stabilise.

There are things that are known, and things that are unknown; in between are doors - Anonymous

https://itunes.apple.com/au/book/longing-for-life/id958423649  My book about my unsuccessful journey through IVF

I have been feeling much better today, I had less morning anxiety and only a few spells of DR. I actually felt close to happiness a few times, as i always do in the few days of my cycle between period and the next round of PMS. I have to vent a bit about teh format here on SA (sorry)...but I hate how fast my journal sinks down...even if i left my journal for a week or more on PP it was still on page 1 or maybe the top of page 2. Is it because there are more people here? I feel pressured to write more in case I lose my journal,lol.

My daughter seems happier about school. She is healing from a cough/cold that must have been adding to it all for her, and Ive been giving her kefir for several days in a row, taking a break for a few days. Whatever it is, Im happy to see her back to her own self, thank God. I will be watching to see what triggers cause the free floating anxiety, should it ever come back. It was so strange and hard to see her being different like that...not her at all.

8 days post drop....time will tell how it continues. I wasnt feeling the best when I dropped, have to remember that for reference.

Glad you stuck with the kefir instead of trying out different probiotics!!

13 years of Ssri's - celexa, Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft

2 fast tapers and 2 cold turkeys over the years

Psych med free since September 4th 2011 - fast tapered then CT'd 12.5 mg of Zoloft

“Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.”

― Mahatma Gandhi

I'm so glad to hear you had a better day! I'm also very happy to hear your daughter is feeling better as well.

Yes, there are definitely a lot of people here. I think you can follow your own journal if you hit the top right button "Follow this topic." Then when you want to find your journal you can click your name at the very top right and then click "Content I follow" and it will bring up all the threads you're subscribed to.

I learn something new everyday! Lol

Psych med free since September 4th 2011 - fast tapered then CT'd 12.5 mg of Zoloft

“Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.”

― Mahatma Gandhi

Thanks guys! I started the kefir while she was on them, and gave iit sporadically after but then really ramped it up last week. I don't doubt for a second that it has helped, as well as digging out some school anxiety and making some changes there.

So...if I folloow a thread does that mean I get emails everytime its updated? I don't want that.

2 Timothy 1-7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Started having poop out mid 2010, also switched generic brands, then crashed in Dec 2010 (anxiety/ "terror", intense DR, anhedonia, suicidal ideation, chills, insomnia, horrible intrusive thoughts, disorientation, ect)

Tried Celexa,Cipralex, then Paxil to deal with wd(this switching made things worse and added akathesia)

Found online support and started tapering Paxil 7 months after quitting Effexor (at this point was having small windows).

Year 4 June 2015 1.1mg , dropping by 10% until .5mg, after then dropped by 0.1mg every 5 weeks until 0.1mg.

Aberdeen - when you click the 'Follow this topic' box, UNclick the 'Receive notification instantly'.  That will stop you getting emails. 

Put on Prothiaden for severe depression in 1989.  Recovered.   Prescribed Paxil for another bout of depression around 2000.   Have been trying to taper ever since but always crash about 2 months after getting to zero.   Because of the crashes, for years I thought that there was something wrong with me.   Then found that the crashes were simply withdrawal.   Now following a maximum of a 10% reduction every month or so and ready to slow down any time I feel any symptoms whatsoever.  Feeling good:).

7th Jan 15 - 3.6mg

28th Jan 15 - 3.2mg

I'm so glad she's doing better, scary stuff.  Also glad you're back from the Land of DP, that sounds as good as my Island of Anhedonia.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

17 days since my drop. I passed through the 2 week post drop stage fairly unscathed!! I

will definately do my next drop at 5 weeks. I have no idea why some drops are harder...maybe the brain is just on its own schedule playing catch up. I will go down to 1.3mg next. My typical pattern is nearly constant anhedonia (not ambition, no joyful memory reveries, no real desire to persue hobbies and interests, in fact interests dont even come to mind, i dont have the focus or interest to read a book, music has minimal effect, its just a flat place. Not even bad...just flat.) I get about 2 days a month between days 14 and 16 or so, of my monthly cycle, so around ovulation, where this lifts for a short while and it is amazing. in those moments I can clearly see how thick the veil is that covers that part of me. Then there's the hideous anger and resentment that engulfs me for two weeks before my period, where everything is irritating if not enraging. So this pattern is my "norm". In waves, there will be morning anxiety, depression, DR, and fear...always at varying levels and for who knows how long. This last wave was about 3 weeks. Im back to my norm. I have been this way for about 2 years now, once my really bad waves bean to subside. I hope all the time for this anhedonia to leave, i could easily live with the DR waves...but this has to go. For something so subtle, its actually quite pervasive and awful! I aim to be off this drug by fall, and hopefully then I will start to see a bigger change in this.

And my daughter is 100% back to herself. What she went through was very odd for her, and if she ever has to take an AB again, i will know to watch for that. It would definately seem that getting those probiotics into her really helped!

Were the probiotics in the kefir?  Did you make the kefir? Or was this a supplement to help her?  I am finishing a round, and struggling, maybe it will help???

1998- Began taking 20 mg. of Paxil for homesickness 2001-CT and crash/hospitalized 1 week for anxiety. Tried quitting, changing to other ADs, gave up. 2014 -Weaned @ 10% every 4 weeks. Latest 5-14 11.7 mg., 6-14 10.5 mg., 8-21 9.5 mg., 9-17 7.7 mg.,10-14 6.9 mg., 11-14 6.2 mg., 12-14 5.6 mg., 1-15 5.0 mg. 2-15 4.5 mg. (miscalculated may actually be 3.3), up-dosed to 3.7 3-17-15. Hydroxyzine HCl 25 mg. as needed (antihistamine) for anxiety.

The probiotics are in the kefir, yes. I make it anyway just for the sake of it being full of vitamins and healthy....but did give my daughter a lot of it following her AB course. You can buy kefir in the store (its like yogurt) but I hear the probiotic content is much higher in homemade. To make it yourself you need a "starter"...it looks like a blob of cauliflower and its called "grains" even though its not grainy or made from grain or anything like grain at all,lol. I got my little blob from a woman at a health food store who makes her own kefir. The blob grows slowly, weird I know, so you can toss the extra or give to your pets. Anyway you keep the blob in milk ( a tablespoon sized blob will culture a one cup measure of milk), drain the milk off once a day and put it in a smoothie (or drink it plain if you dont mind that it tastes sour, like sour cream or plain yogurt). Then put a new fresh cup of milk on your blob and set aside for the next day. I definately think it helps, esp after using AB's. i did a lot of reading about depleted gut flora and it can really affect our moods!

That sounds gross! I realized my Shakeology has pro and prebiotics so I have been trying that. I am intrigued by this blob and may have to visit my health food store too!

1998- Began taking 20 mg. of Paxil for homesickness 2001-CT and crash/hospitalized 1 week for anxiety. Tried quitting, changing to other ADs, gave up. 2014 -Weaned @ 10% every 4 weeks. Latest 5-14 11.7 mg., 6-14 10.5 mg., 8-21 9.5 mg., 9-17 7.7 mg.,10-14 6.9 mg., 11-14 6.2 mg., 12-14 5.6 mg., 1-15 5.0 mg. 2-15 4.5 mg. (miscalculated may actually be 3.3), up-dosed to 3.7 3-17-15. Hydroxyzine HCl 25 mg. as needed (antihistamine) for anxiety.

That sounds gross! I realized my Shakeology has pro and prebiotics so I have been trying that. I am intrigued by this blob and may have to visit my health food store too!

Blob - LoL

I don't think you can actually buy your grains (blob) at the store. Aberdeen got hers from a lady who works at the health food store. Just ask around about kefir grains and I bet someone will have some extra. You can also Google it. I know a woman in the USA called Donna Schwenke has a website called cultured food life. She will actually ship her extra grains to you if you live in the USA. read her website too. You can learn all about kefir. A lot of valuable information.

― Mahatma Gandhi

Yes I shoudl clarify the woman at the health food store grows her own at home, and brought me some extra "blobs": on the side, for free....but ya definately read about this, its pretty neat!

So< its been just over 4 weeks since my last drop and nothing out of the usual happened. I am now nearing the end of my period and seeing the anger and low feelings improving. I have nothing new to report, anhedonia and PMS...my biggest complaints. I wake up feeling crappy too...DR, or slightly anxious...but nothing huge lately..in over a month now. Keep going. Maybe drop again next week.

Happy to hear that it's uneventful!  :)

Sounds good, Aberdeen! You are almost there. :-)

Current dose: 0! Free!  Quit June 2017.

2017: Last dose zoloft: 17 June 0,00065 mg 18 May 0, 001 mg 14 May 0,002 mg 9 May 0,003 mg 28 April 0,006 mg 19 April 0,009 mg 8 April 0,013 mg 25 March 0,019 mg 22 March 0,039 mg 18 March 0,052 mg 16 March 0,079 mg 4 March 0,086 1 March 0,099 mg 22 February 0,11 mg 15 February 0,13 mg 6 February 0,145 mg 24 January 0,15 mg 19 January 0,19 mg 10 January 0,20 mg 3 January

2016: 0,98 to 0,22 mg; 2015: 2,35 to 1,01 mg; 2014: 4,9 to 2,5 mg; 2013: 9,1 to 5,1 mg; 2012: 15,7 to 9,7 mg; 2011: Started on 25 mg - then 50 mg- dropped to 25- to 12.5 mg - back to 25 mg - after 18.75 mg started tiny tapering to 16.6 mg

Started on 25 mg Zoloft in March 2011 due to stressrelated tinnitus that gave me panicattacks. Had a terrible reaction to Zoloft from start, but was told to "hold on". After four months I was stuck. Therefore the long taper. Crazy, I know... Super sensitive to drops and have dropped by 4-6 % from the previous dose.

Hello Aberdeen!

I am so glad that your WD is following its course with nothing out of the "ordinary"... I have the PMS too (which I never had before AD withdrawal) starting 10 days before my periods and I just hate it (my boyfriend too  ;) ). I found that doing yoga helps a little bit though. I have an account with some online yoga, so I can do it everyday at home, and choose which one of the hundreds of videos soothes me best for the day without having to go out in the -20 degrees.

For your journal, don't worry it won't disappear! :) When you click on your name at the top of the page you can find "my content" and there is your journal!

Take care, lots of love and hope your way!

Athena xx

2000-2001: Effexor              2005-2012: Celexa, Zoloft, Effexor, desipramin, Wellbutrin, mirtazepin, Lamictal, Remeron, Abilify, nortriptylin, Cipralex, Cymbalta, and others I don't remember. Really bad side effects to all.
Sept-Nov 2012: Paxil 20mg, Wellbutrin 100mg, Imovane 5mg      Nov 2012: Paxil 20mg --> 10mg
Dec 2012: Paxil 10mg-->0; 1 week later: HUGE WD symptoms. Started to get informed on the internet and back to 10mg Paxil.
Dec 2012-Jan 2013: Paxil 10mg, Wellbutrin 100mg, Imovane 2.5mg        End Jan 2013: P 9mg, W 100mg, I 2.0mg
Feb 2013: P 8mg, W 100mg, I 1.5mg      April 2013: P 7mg, W 100mg, I 1.25mg       May 2013: P 7mg, W 90mg, I 1mg    

June 2013: P 7mg, W 80mg, I 0mg       July 1/2013: P 7, W 70     July 22/2013: P 7, W 60             Aug 2013: P 7, W 50       Sept 2013: P 6.1, W 50     Oct 2013: P up to 6.3, W 50     Nov 2013: P 6.2 to 5.9, W 50      Dec 2013: P 5.9, W 40      Jan 2014: P 5.3, W40        Feb 2014: P 5.3, W 30      March-April 2014: P 5.3, W 26    May 2014: P 5.3, W 20        June 2014: P 5.3 W 15     July 2014:  P 5.3, W 14       Aug 2014: P 5.3, W up to 15     Sept 2014: P 5.3, W 14    Oct 2014: P 4.8, W 14      Nov 2014: P 4.3, W 14     Dec 2014-Jan 2015: P 3.9, W 14     Feb 2015: P 3.9, W 12    March 2015: P 3.6, W 12   April-May 2015: P 3.3, W 12    June 2015: P 3.3, W 10    July 2015: P 3.3, W 8   Aug-Sept 2015: P 3.3, W 6   Oct 2015: P 3.0, W 6   Nov 2015: P 2.7, W 6   Dec 2015: P 2.4, W 6   Jan-Feb 2016: P 2.4, W 5  March 2016: P 2.2, W 5   April 2016: P 2.2, W 4   May-June 2016: P 2.2, W 3  July 2016: P 2.2, W 2  Aug 2016: P 2.2, W 1  Sept 2016: P 2.2, W 0!!  Oct 2016: P 2.0   Nov 2016-Jan 2017: P 1.8  Feb-Mar 2017: P 1.9  April-May 2017: P 1.8   June 2017: P 1.6 July-Dec 2017: P 1.5  Jan-April 2018: P 1.6

Others: Cytomel 25mcg (thyroid), vit. C, vit D, Omega-3 fish oil, Magnesium bisglycinate , Melatonin 1mg, 81mg Aspirin, Milk peptides, L-theanine, Valericalm tincture mix, scullcap tincture, Suan Zao Ren (jujube seeds)

Thanks guys! I am now ready to taper on Tuesday it will have been 5 weeks. Athena I dont envy you tapering two drugs together, but you're doing really well! I am entering my post period stage...where I will have a bit of relief from anhedonia for a day or so, usually a few hours, over several days. This tells me the anhedonia is affected by my hormones, and not sure what, if anything can be done about that. I knowwalking would be nice, but its too cold and snowy and I just want to hibernate. The exact opposite of what I should be doing.

Hi Aberdeen,

Just read your journal and I'm so happy to hear that your last cut has gone well!

Sunflower

1998-2010. Zoloft 100 mgs.

3/2010. Switched to generic Z and began not to feel well.

7/2010. Estrogen patch added which caused severe depression.

8/2010 to 10/2010. Zoloft increased from 100 mgs to 200 mgs., Klonopin .25 mgs in am; .50 mgs pm; Remeron

.25 mgs. added by new doc

1/2011. Began tapering K; last dose of K 7/2011.

11/2011 Began Remeron taper; last dose of R 1/2012 (Tapered K & R by dry cutting)

1/2013 Began tapering Z from 200 mgs to 100 mgs by dry cutting

3/2013. Experiencing wd sx...took break

9/2013. Down to 150 mgs.

2/2014 - Present. 100 mgs Z

1-21-15. Began dry cutting 100 mgs.

Hey Aberdeen,

Well I won't say it's a nice and quiet road, but I'll get there one day! ^_^ As we all will. Hope you are enjoying your post period stage, I'm entering my pre-period, with all the fun that comes with! :P

Try not to be too hard on yourself for not going walk outside, it has been such a crazy winter around here! And you're already working so hard!

Take care,

Athena xx

2000-2001: Effexor              2005-2012: Celexa, Zoloft, Effexor, desipramin, Wellbutrin, mirtazepin, Lamictal, Remeron, Abilify, nortriptylin, Cipralex, Cymbalta, and others I don't remember. Really bad side effects to all.
Sept-Nov 2012: Paxil 20mg, Wellbutrin 100mg, Imovane 5mg      Nov 2012: Paxil 20mg --> 10mg
Dec 2012: Paxil 10mg-->0; 1 week later: HUGE WD symptoms. Started to get informed on the internet and back to 10mg Paxil.
Dec 2012-Jan 2013: Paxil 10mg, Wellbutrin 100mg, Imovane 2.5mg        End Jan 2013: P 9mg, W 100mg, I 2.0mg
Feb 2013: P 8mg, W 100mg, I 1.5mg      April 2013: P 7mg, W 100mg, I 1.25mg       May 2013: P 7mg, W 90mg, I 1mg    

June 2013: P 7mg, W 80mg, I 0mg       July 1/2013: P 7, W 70     July 22/2013: P 7, W 60             Aug 2013: P 7, W 50       Sept 2013: P 6.1, W 50     Oct 2013: P up to 6.3, W 50     Nov 2013: P 6.2 to 5.9, W 50      Dec 2013: P 5.9, W 40      Jan 2014: P 5.3, W40        Feb 2014: P 5.3, W 30      March-April 2014: P 5.3, W 26    May 2014: P 5.3, W 20        June 2014: P 5.3 W 15     July 2014:  P 5.3, W 14       Aug 2014: P 5.3, W up to 15     Sept 2014: P 5.3, W 14    Oct 2014: P 4.8, W 14      Nov 2014: P 4.3, W 14     Dec 2014-Jan 2015: P 3.9, W 14     Feb 2015: P 3.9, W 12    March 2015: P 3.6, W 12   April-May 2015: P 3.3, W 12    June 2015: P 3.3, W 10    July 2015: P 3.3, W 8   Aug-Sept 2015: P 3.3, W 6   Oct 2015: P 3.0, W 6   Nov 2015: P 2.7, W 6   Dec 2015: P 2.4, W 6   Jan-Feb 2016: P 2.4, W 5  March 2016: P 2.2, W 5   April 2016: P 2.2, W 4   May-June 2016: P 2.2, W 3  July 2016: P 2.2, W 2  Aug 2016: P 2.2, W 1  Sept 2016: P 2.2, W 0!!  Oct 2016: P 2.0   Nov 2016-Jan 2017: P 1.8  Feb-Mar 2017: P 1.9  April-May 2017: P 1.8   June 2017: P 1.6 July-Dec 2017: P 1.5  Jan-April 2018: P 1.6

Others: Cytomel 25mcg (thyroid), vit. C, vit D, Omega-3 fish oil, Magnesium bisglycinate , Melatonin 1mg, 81mg Aspirin, Milk peptides, L-theanine, Valericalm tincture mix, scullcap tincture, Suan Zao Ren (jujube seeds)

There are hormone creams, progesterone etc. You never know....might help.

Paxil 20mg from 1998-2011 

Paxil 40mg from 2011-2012 while experiencing poopout

October 2013 quit cold turkey

Oct-mid Nov 2013 great window

Late November WD nightmare 

Windows and waves pattern 

Now: 28 months cold turkey...doing decent learning to deal with the windows/waves pattern fighting it every step of the way. 

Coldturkmama have you ever tried them? I am scared of anything hormonal...!

me too...scared to try anything that will change my chemistry at all. I am almost a week into my drop to 1.3mg and its going ok, I dont normally feel anxiety and DR until about 2-2.5 weeks after i taper. Im around day 14 of my cycle and feeling pms creep in again...anger, impatience, heavy anhedonia...its getting old. I'm also tired of being cold! I have no desire to be outdoors in this type of cold, standing outside while my dogs play for a few minutes is long enough!!

Feeling highly irritable and ready to find the negative and explode about everything...with a bit more anxiety in the CNS sense...noise sensitivity. Its not that noises cause me anxiety, they cause a flare of anger. If the dog barks suddenly or the kids are fighting (like they have been all weekend), if my husband yells too loud for me, even the phone and quiet sounds like a dog licking or a tap dripping.....it makes me instantly angry. I need a soundproof room where no one can find me. Its been 13 days since the drop and its usually between 1 and 2 weeks post that i feel it so its likely that plus PMS. Screw it all!!!  :angry:

Throw a nice case of Cabin Fever on top of it, I can see why you want to hide away.  At least you have identified the pattern so you know it will get better in a few days.  Watch out for the triggers and keep changing the channel.  I've been noticing that here at the lower doses the symptoms are taking longer to resolve themselves, but they finally do and I get to feel better for a few days before I drop again.  Maybe it's time to start planning your garden for this spring, mustangwoman says she has 48 tomato sets started in her house for when the weather breaks.  It would be a way got get your hands dirty.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

I am like this too during the two weeks before my period - add in withdrawal and I am a scary, shrieking mess.  It's best if I can hide away in my bedroom away from everyone, but it's not always possible.  And it always seems like everyone forgets why we are so irritable! Wish we could post a sign on the door warning everyone and be alone until it is over.  Hoping you feel better :-)  Praying you get a respite.  I swear sometimes I am going to murder someone for chewing too loudly, breathing on me when I sleep, or crinkling food wrappers too loudly....

• 3 weeks later...

Guess I'm due to drop again. I had a bad spell this time last year, and the spring break with the kids off was rough on me. I think I'll drop next week, after the break is over instead. I have a long drive coming up, and I feel resentful instead of excited, thats not good. Hopefully I'll feel more into the visit as I go...its a good friend of mine that lives about 6-7 hours driving away and I never see her. I know we'll have fun once there, just dreading the preparations.

Dealing with this long lived anhedonia. I wish I could read a good novel, or get into movies like I used to, pursue my hobbies without forcing myself and then not even enjoying it. Im so tired of this. Why do I get little flickers of a break, only to have the blanket fall over me again. If my brain can do normal...why cant it just stay normal? This is getting old. Otherwise I havent really had too bad of a month. Anger and irritable, anhedonic, but little to no anxiety or depression. Sometimes I feel like I healed and this is it, and that the brain forgot to keep healing the anhedonia and angry stuff. But I want that gone too, I want to be pleasant and capable of warm/real emotions again, on a continual basis, like i was before i ever took these pills. 

Nice to see your update as it's been a while. Anhedonia sucks! That is a big one for me too, I look outside and see a world that is moving without me. I get those little blips of wanting to do something and then just falls away and gone. I have heard it will go but it is the last to go. Hang in there you're doing great!

Paxil start September 2003 due to Fluoroquinolone adverse reaction that I wish doc. knew what it was. 10mg. most of the time with a few short runs of 20mg. FAST tapered 3 times and finally hit poop out or a reaction to nsaid's in Nov.2013. Started a 10% taper Jan. 2014 and have been ok until Sept 14 and went through a short hell. Now plodding through and looking for the light with unrelenting insomnia and pain, fog, loss of interests....<p>12/20/14 - .8mg.

1/01/15 - .75 mg.

1/15/15 - .42 mg. better sleep now, hope it continues...

2/11-15 - .25 mg. doing really good!! 2 weeks feel 85% of old me!

3/17/15 .14 mg. Knee pain bad!

4/07/15 .05 mg. this is so small now that I am estimating and just licking it off palm small as a "." 

4/13/15 NOTHING !!!! Took my last little micro dose on 4/12/15. 

That's how it felt when mine started to break up.  Little bursts of feelings hat lasted a few minutes to a couple of hours, then back into the pit of nothingness.  For me the good times got progressively longer and the bad ones slowly less intense.  Hopefully you can look out the window and watch the scenery during your drive and enjoy it a bit.  I'm so glad you had a good month, I can really see that you're improving from the sounds of your posts.

((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))

I hear you on Spring Break.  It's hard even while homeschooling as having no structure with the expectation of sleeping in, lazing around, and relaxing makes my kids into spoiled brats!  Glad you can go visit your friend!  Those times are so precious in withdrawal as it takes so much effort to maintain or seek out friendship.  You are an encouragement to me with your real life situations and even having your little windows like Brassmonkey does.  It can happen and get better.  Enjoy your visit!

• Moderator Emeritus

Wow, you are at such a low dose now, that's brilliant!  I am quite envious, I'm still stuck at 3.4mg.  It's funny how the symptoms change in different dose ranges.  As I've got lower it's been more depression rather than the anxiety I had previously.  So I think the anhedonia you've been experiencing will be just another phase like that, which will pass eventually.  I'm finding the same thing as you - when I have something I have to do I feel a sense of dread and nervousness beforehand, but once I get started I'm okay, and afterwards I wonder why I felt so bad before.  I've suffered with a lot of hormonal stuff too, and found vitex capsules really helped.  I stopped taking them for a while but restarted them recently when all the weird tearfulness, etc. came back in force.  Of course, individual responses to supplements vary.

BTW, to see your own threads, i.e. the ones you started, click on My Content, and then on the left click on Only Topics.  This should make it much easier to find your journal.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys! Songbird i had a phase where my wd symptoms were more depression than anxiety also, in fact that was last year around now, and i was just dipping below 4mg at that stage. Perhaps you are right.

The trip went well, I did manage to enjoy it and the level of wd I was at, which was quite tolerable stayed level for the trip and afterwards also! I was able to enjoy the visit more than last year, I think the anhedonia is slightly milder nowadays, but always present. I have faith it will pass.

I dropped to 1.2mg on the 23rd of march, with very few side effects so far. Getting there!

Great job Aberdeen, you sound like you may be turning the corner with the anhedonia.

Paxil start September 2003 due to Fluoroquinolone adverse reaction that I wish doc. knew what it was. 10mg. most of the time with a few short runs of 20mg. FAST tapered 3 times and finally hit poop out or a reaction to nsaid's in Nov.2013. Started a 10% taper Jan. 2014 and have been ok until Sept 14 and went through a short hell. Now plodding through and looking for the light with unrelenting insomnia and pain, fog, loss of interests....<p>12/20/14 - .8mg.

1/01/15 - .75 mg.

1/15/15 - .42 mg. better sleep now, hope it continues...

2/11-15 - .25 mg. doing really good!! 2 weeks feel 85% of old me!

3/17/15 .14 mg. Knee pain bad!

4/07/15 .05 mg. this is so small now that I am estimating and just licking it off palm small as a "." 

4/13/15 NOTHING !!!! Took my last little micro dose on 4/12/15.