If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo

Brassmonkey: Talking about myself

Paxil paroxetine

• Please log in to reply
1084 replies to this topic

#1081 Frogie

Frogie

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 April 2017 - 10:11 AM

Hi Brassmonkey:

Congrats on reaching 0! How awesome. :)

I'm having a lot of nausea when I hit the 7's. Apace41 and I are working on that.

I just had a quick question for you. When you did your taper, did you have many symptoms?

Like I said I'm working with Apace41 (he's really doing everything he can for me). I'm waiting a month after I'm stable and then have decided to try your taper. I think I might be able to sneak past the 7's that way. I don't think my body can take a full 10%'taper all at once and that why I'm nauseous.

Really appreciate you answering my question.

Need to see pictures when you get back from China!

Take care,
Frogie xx
PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Zoloft, 1997-1999; switch to Paxil, 1999-2002 ___2009 - 2015: Gabapentin, 900mg, 2010-2015: tapered of 9 weeks, last dose Sept. 2015, no symptoms ___ Lamictal, 300mg, 2009-2015, taper of 6 weeks, last dose Oct 2015,no symptoms ___ Valium, 40mg, 2008-2015, 8 week taper, last dose Dec 2015, no symptoms ___ 2016: Carafate 1mg (anti-ulcer med) 4x a day as needed. Prescribed but not taking it. ___ Prilosec 40mg; 28-Aug started 25% taper; 1-Oct 20mg a.m. + 15mg p.m. Stopped Nov 26, 2016 w/rebound acid but not too bad.---CURRENT MEDICATIONS---Supplements: 150 mg Mag chloride, 350mg Krill Oil, Milk Thistle, ProbioticFor nausea as needed: Zantac, 300mg only "as needed". Zofran 4mg for nausea; only take it when nausea is unbearable or phenegran.Xanax, 3 mg in 4 split doses, 2008-present Lexpro: 2002 - March 2016: 20 mg; Mar-Apr 2016: 8 week taper 20 mg - 10 mg; 8-June 9mg; 13-June 10 mg; 11-Sep 7.5 mg; 25-Sep 5 mg; 5-Oct 10mg; started taking Liquid Lexapro in Nov 2016; started taper with liquid 1-Jan-17 9mg; 22-Jan 8.1mg; 22-Feb 7.3 mg, (horrible nausea); 30-Mar, updosed to 7.6 (1st morning, not as much nausea, hopefully it will get better); nausea was brutal; 6-April, updosed to 7.9mg, hoping nausea will let up; nausea stopped on 14-April for 2 days so far; 17-April nausea started back up :( stopped supplements on 10-April

Levothyroxine
50mcg 18-April for hypothydroidism Stopped by dr. on 20-April too many side effects, going to try again in 6 months

#1082 Chuck83

Chuck83

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 27 April 2017 - 10:36 AM

Congratulations brass for your SSRIs free life.

2001, Amisulpride (deniban) - 3 months, I taper in some weeks

2001, Seroquel, 4 weeks - quit cold turkey, 2001. Efexxor,  one pill adverse reaction

2002. Amitryptaline (mutabon mite) - 4 months, I taper really faster in some weeks

around more 10 years drug free

4 December 2013, 7 drops of citalopram , adverse reaction

December    2013, Italian supplement called serenplus with tryptophan, 9 pills adverse reaction, quit cold turkey.

After December 2013, Im drug free.

#1083 brassmonkey

brassmonkey

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 2,451 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 April 2017 - 11:00 AM

Hey Frogie-- yes, I had ever symptom in the book, any symptom people mention here I've had it.  

The trick was to keep them at a manageable, livable level.  That's where the slide method came in to play.  By dropping a small amount the symptoms usually stayed at a manageable level.  In the beginning my WDnormal level was very low, meaning the symptoms were bad pretty much 24/7 so each drop didn't register a whole lot.  After a couple of years of tapering my WDnormal level had risen to a point I started to notice fluctuations after I would do a drop. It took another year before I could really see a pattern following each drop.  From there on it was pretty steady improvement each taper.  It was all dependent on the rise of the WDnormal level.  As my brain sorted things out it could see the changes more clearly and I could understand the cause and effect of each change.

Through it all I was able to maintain a slow steady improvement because of the smaller drops.  The smaller drops caused milder reactions so I wasn't faced with having to struggle through being hit hard after each one.

The one thing that people here have a hard time understanding is how long it takes to do this.  As I mentioned in the first paragraph it took three years before I could really tell things were on the mend.  The day to day, month to month fluctuations are just the "normal" course of events and don't count for much.  They have to be suffered through, worked with, lived with and ignored, but over the course of a lot of time they will slowly improve.  Myself and many others here are proof that the methods do work.  We have to develop the patience of saints.  I've mentioned before that WD is going to be the hardest most painful thing someone will ever do in their life.  It's an easy statement to make, but hard as h*** to live through, but every member here has what it takes, deep inside, to make it through.  All they have to do is "do it".

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mg it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

#1084 brassmonkey

brassmonkey

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 2,451 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 April 2017 - 05:49 PM

To me twice in two days is starting to form a trend, and in this case a very disturbing one.  We have had a second member state that they are about to purchase a supplement whose primary ingredient is rat poison.  I am well aware that homeopathic remedies contain minuscule amounts of the active ingredient.  Which may be fine for "healthy" people, but we are not "healthy" people.  Our nervous systems and in fact every system in our bodies have been compromised by the drugs we have been taking.  We have to be EXTREMELY careful with what we put in them.  A minor reaction for "healthy" people is magnified 1000X for us and can be catastrophic.

In both cases the medications being considered or taken have had red flag warnings on the internet stating that they are dangerous, have extensive lists of harsh side effects, little or no clinical testing and only anecdotal evidence that they are effective for things that are unrelated to ADWD.  All of the claims of positive effects are being made by the people who are selling the products, another red flag situation, while the adverse reactions are buried in the more comprehensive and less bias web sites.  This is where personal research comes in.  Before taking anything, dig into it way beyond the reviews on Amazon or Supplements-R-Us.  There are a number of reputable medical information sites  that will help you to get the full story.  It is the responsibility of each and every member here to know what it is that they are about take and to be as well informed as possible as to what is in it and what it will do before they swallow.  If there is any doubt what so ever, don't take it.

We are all going through a very tough, painful period of our lives and every one of us longs for the quick fix.  We can not allow that desire to cloud our judgement.  We have learned from hard experience that we can not trust the ones we have been taught to trust.  That goes beyond just the traditional doctors to include all forms of alternative medicine.  It's a very sad and sorry state of affairs, but we are reminded of it on a daily basis here.  We have to keep our heads as clear as possible and not get caught up in the panic we feel and start doing irrational things if we are to make it through.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mg it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

#1085 ShakeyJerr

ShakeyJerr

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 27 April 2017 - 06:17 PM

To me twice in two days is starting to form a trend, and in this case a very disturbing one.  We have had a second member state that they are about to purchase a supplement whose primary ingredient is rat poison.  I am well aware that homeopathic remedies contain minuscule amounts of the active ingredient.  Which may be fine for "healthy" people, but we are not "healthy" people.  Our nervous systems and in fact every system in our bodies have been compromised by the drugs we have been taking.  We have to be EXTREMELY careful with what we put in them.  A minor reaction for "healthy" people is magnified 1000X for us and can be catastrophic.

In both cases the medications being considered or taken have had red flag warnings on the internet stating that they are dangerous, have extensive lists of harsh side effects, little or no clinical testing and only anecdotal evidence that they are effective for things that are unrelated to ADWD.  All of the claims of positive effects are being made by the people who are selling the products, another red flag situation, while the adverse reactions are buried in the more comprehensive and less bias web sites.  This is where personal research comes in.  Before taking anything, dig into it way beyond the reviews on Amazon or Supplements-R-Us.  There are a number of reputable medical information sites  that will help you to get the full story.  It is the responsibility of each and every member here to know what it is that they are about take and to be as well informed as possible as to what is in it and what it will do before they swallow.  If there is any doubt what so ever, don't take it.

We are all going through a very tough, painful period of our lives and every one of us longs for the quick fix.  We can not allow that desire to cloud our judgement.  We have learned from hard experience that we can not trust the ones we have been taught to trust.  That goes beyond just the traditional doctors to include all forms of alternative medicine.  It's a very sad and sorry state of affairs, but we are reminded of it on a daily basis here.  We have to keep our heads as clear as possible and not get caught up in the panic we feel and start doing irrational things if we are to make it through.

Thank you for the caring reminder that desperation and good reviews on Amazon are not the best things upon which to make a decision!

SJ

Dates are tentative (my memory is shot)...

Prozac & Lithium from 1999 to 2003 (I don't remember the dosages). Went off but developed symptoms so put back on after 4 months.

Switched to Effexor (75mg 3/day) and Seroquel (50mg 3/day) some time in 2010 (I think). Did a self-taper during 2016 after losing insurance. Been off since around the beginning of 2017.

Developed Discontinuation Syndrome beginning with uncontrolled/unexplained crying in 02/17.

Moved on to full-blow symptoms from there. Been really bad since late 03/17.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Paxil, paroxetine