anhedonia: SSRI induced anhedonia/apathy

anhedonia

Hi everyone. For people who have experienced anhedonia/recovered from Anhedonia... please reply.

I've had depression since I was 15 or 16. I took prozac for 6 months straight (in 2009 or 2010) (I think it was a low dose, can't remember, I had to take two pills, one at the morning, one at night.. I only took the one in the morning only) I quit cold turkey cus I didn't feel any different... or so I thought. I haven't felt happiness since then... don't even know what that even means anymore (I'm 19)... I feel like I have no interests in anything. I mean, I listen to music that I think sounds good... not sure If I'm enjoying it though. Sometimes I get annoyed and just shut it off when I don't want to listen to it anymore.

All I want to do is lay down in bed and sleep/do nothing. I never feel angry/sad/happy... just nothing. I can't feel love for my family, although I know I care for them. For people who have had or are experiencing Anhedonia, do you ever feel you have sexual urges or no? TMI, but I do once in a while. Although the urge isn't really strong... but still there. I feel like nothing is exciting anymore. Everything feels like a chore.

So I think I have anhedonia... but I'm not 100% sure. Could this be because my depression, or because of taking Prozac?

p.s. I've been taking wellbutrin the past two weeks, without improvement. Should I just get off wellbutrin as well?

I guess I'm just gonna lay down in my bed, for years... until I feel emotions. I can't believe this happened to me.

Hi everyone. For people who have experienced anhedonia/recovered from Anhedonia... please reply.

I've had depression since I was 15 or 16. I took prozac for 6 months straight (in 2009 or 2010) (I think it was a low dose, can't remember, I had to take two pills, one at the morning, one at night.. I only took the one in the morning only) I quit cold turkey cus I didn't feel any different... or so I thought. I haven't felt happiness since then... don't even know what that even means anymore (I'm 19)... I feel like I have no interests in anything. I mean, I listen to music that I think sounds good... not sure If I'm enjoying it though. Sometimes I get annoyed and just shut it off when I don't want to listen to it anymore.

All I want to do is lay down in bed and sleep/do nothing. I never feel angry/sad/happy... just nothing. I can't feel love for my family, although I know I care for them. For people who have had or are experiencing Anhedonia, do you ever feel you have sexual urges or no? TMI, but I do once in a while. Although the urge isn't really strong... but still there. I feel like nothing is exciting anymore. Everything feels like a chore.

So I think I have anhedonia... but I'm not 100% sure. Could this be because my depression, or because of taking Prozac?

p.s. I've been taking wellbutrin the past two weeks, without improvement. Should I just get off wellbutrin as well?

I guess I'm just gonna lay down in my bed, for years... until I feel emotions. I can't believe this happened to me.

Hi Anhedonia,

Welcome!

Yup, being on psych meds can definitely cause apathy.

Obviously, we can't tell you what to do but if I wasn't experiencing improvement with Wellbutrin, I would get off of it. And even if you were, psych meds usually don't work long term and poop out.

As one who is also experiencing apathy due to lack of sleep, my best advice would be to not fight it and accept it for what it is. I have found when I do that, I start getting excited about things like I have in the past. Easier said than done, I know.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Moderator Emeritus

I moved your post here to 'Introductions and updates' since it's your first post telling us about yourself. When you have a chance, please fill in your drug history in the signature area. Also, please put your future posts about your progress in this topic by clicking on "Add Reply". This way your Intro serves as a journal for you and a way for us to know what your experiences have been.

When you quit Prozac cold turkey, did you have any withdrawal symptoms? Unless you had an unusually severe reaction somewhere along the line I doubt that your present state of mind is due to that.

I agree with compsports that taking antidepressants is not the way to go, especially at your age. Antidepressants actually make structural changes in the brain and in my opinion that's particularly risky for someone whose brain isn't fully matured. If I remember right, full physical maturity of the brain occurs in the mid-twenties.

Have you tried counseling? Exercise and getting a good night's sleep also help depression.

In any event, welcome. You'll find lots of good information and friendly folks here.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Moderator Emeritus

jr,

I moved your post to this ongoing topic on anhedonia rather than get anhedonia's Intro post off track:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2873-anhedonia-apathy-demotivation/page__p__30852__hl__anhedonia__fromsearch__1#entry30852

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• 1 year later...

is it common to experience anhedonia during withdrawal?  After having gone through a withdrawal episode myself, I can experience almost no euphoria from anything. Has anyone had this go away?

various SSRI for years

20 mg Lyrica 2010

30 mg to 0 mg Prozac 2012

Reinstate 20 mg Prozac 2012

Drop to 19 mg Prozac 2013

Reinstate 20 mg Prozac 1 month later (2013)

Gradual decrease of Prozac dosage starting in late summer of 2015, currently at 11.2 mg/day

use of vitamin D3, fish oil, and magnesium at various times

• Administrator

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 3 years later...
On 3/12/2014 at 6:29 PM, music321 said:

is it common to experience anhedonia during withdrawal?  After having gone through a withdrawal episode myself, I can experience almost no euphoria from anything. Has anyone had this go away?

Hi Music,

I'd love to know if you ever had your anhedonia go away? This is one of the symptoms that I struggle with and I just want to know that it will eventually go away. 

1. Started Wellbutrin 75 mg IR the end of 2015.
  2. Tried quitting cold turkey in June 30th- July 3rd 2017.
  3. Had severe withdrawals.
  4. Was placed on Wellbutrin 100mg SR so I could taper without withdrawal.
  5. Stabilized on 100mg SR for most of the month of July.
  6. Started tapering on July 17th,  2017.
  7. Completed taper on August 8th, 2017.
  8. Currently experiencing severe withdrawal.
  • Symptoms- Currently experiencing anhedonia, depersonalization/derealization, concentration/memory issues, chronic congestion, chronic dry eyes, dry skin, dislocated TMJ joint from teeth grinding during C/T withdrawal, waves of depression, anxiety, nausea, morning cortisol spikes, insomnia, agitation, food sensitivities, no tolerance for caffeine and chronic fatigue, burning muscle pain in upper and lower back and occasional tinninitus.
  • Supplements- Omega-3 fish oil supplement twice daily, 100 mg of magnesium once daily. 
  • Moderator Emeritus

I have anhedonia myself.  I searched SA anhedonia and found Nicolantana's post July 4, 2017:

"I was on four powerful meds together and had anhedonia for six months and then everything changed over night more or less."  

This corresponds with something I read from Alto (sorry, don't have the cite) that anhedonia fades with time like other WD symptoms.  The brain's pretty tough and I think the ability to feel pleasure (pretty basic to survival) will return.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• ChessieCat changed the title to anhedonia: SSRI induced anhedonia/apathy
  • 2 years later...
  • Administrator

@anhedonia how are you doing?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.