Salem: Cipralex/lexapro stopped directly.

Salem

Dears at AD,

I am from Kuwait, 25yrs I have been suffering from panic disorder which resulted from GAD then turned to Agoraphobia, fear of driving, fear of death and finally Hypcho. Now it has been one year that all of these started.

Last week I went to my doctor and he put me on Xanax .50 mg for three days. Then started Cipralex 10 mg with vitamin B complex. Due to major panic attack and rough Heartburn on the fifth day I stopped immediately because I went to the ER shaking with difficulty in breathe and numbness all over my body with high heartrate that the Dr in the ER asked me to stop it directly.

Today is my second day without cipralex and vitamin B. I am asking that is there gonna be some withdrawal with that short period of time using cipralex?

I told my Dr that I stopped the medication and he told me to make it .50 instead of 10 and continue. But I cannot take it since what I faced earlier.

Thanks in-advance.

Respectfully,

Sal.

• Moderator Emeritus

I moved your post to the 'Introductions and updates' section because it's your first post about your experience with antidepresssants. Please return to this topic for future posts about your progress. Just click on "Add Reply" at the bottom of the page.

It sounds like you're outright allergic to Cipralex. That was a scary reaction! As for withdrawal, no one knows if you'll have to go through that or not. Some people can stop the antidepressants cold turkey with no problem, some have a short withdrawal period, and for some getting stable again is a long, drawn out process. The last is most of us here on the forum.

A few questions, please. By Hypco do you mean hypocondria? Are you still taking the .5 mg. of Xanax?

Please keep us informed about how you're doing. If you do go into withdrawal, the information and support on this forum should be very helpful. It's seen me through a difficult withdrawal from Lexapro.

Welcome.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Hi Sal,

Doctors generally warn about the first 2 weeks of going on a drug like Cipralex as you can feel heightened anxiety, restlessness, nausea and some other 'unwanted' but possible side-effects. That's why sometimes they prescribe a tranquillizer like Xanax to go alongside it until you start feeling the desired effects. But in my opinion no drug that is supposed to be helping should make you end up in ER. You have been on it only for a very short amount of time, I'd imagine you wouldn't be battling prolonged after-effects.

However, if you feel you need to continue with an antidepressant treatment, your doctor might try other variations and tell you to stick with the unpleasant feelings initially.

Welcome and good luck!

C/T off escitalopram (Lexapro 20 mg) after 5-7 years of use in September 2012.

Dears Jemima and mindbend,

All I can remember is that my doctor did not tell me about the symptoms. This is where all it began, that I noticed changes emotionally and physically.

For now the symptoms after stopping are :

Restlessness

Buzz sound in ears with pressure

Dry mouth with bitter taste

Forgetfulness - this is I am sure of! This started today.

Lightheaded with dizziness

Anxiety ups and downs

Shaky hands when trying to hold anything

* Faint-like feeling this is the hardest part.

Panicking

Thinking about losing my mind everytime!

I hope everything settle down by tomorrow. Tomorrow my doctor made an appointment maybe he will try to convince me to take the drugs again but this is not acceptable at all since that I was better in coping with my conditions before the medication.

Thank you so much for the support. I know that somewhere it is meant for me to walk through this struggle for a good cause.

Respectfully,

Sal.

• Administrator

Salem, welcome. Thank you for asking this question.

Some people are very sensitive to serotonergics and very quickly have serious adverse reactions. It sounds like you are one of those people.

As I understand it, this is an indication you should not take any antidepressant. They are all serotonergic.

Although doctors sometimes try to compensate for this adverse reaction by prescribing benzos -- as mindbend noted -- it is a true adverse reaction, the drug is doing something bad to you. In my opinion, you should not put your nervous system under this stress.

We have several people here who had similar reactions. They are all slowly recovering. Most likely, in a few months you will feel much better.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Dear Altostrata,

I believe it is an ADR since the ER gave me medications of allergy. Now about the third day I developed restless right leg shaking all day. And Insomenia with bouts of waking up in the middle of night. Heart rate times high times low I believe it is adjusting back to normal, I pray for that. My IBS has been triggered by the reaction.

These drugs are harmful and dangerous, I were much better without them, so better.

I should try to relax and convince myself that everything will be ok in the coming days.

Respectfully,

Sal.

• Administrator

Yes, stay far away from these drugs!

Having a positive attitude towards healing is important for coping with symptoms while they fade. See the Symptoms and self-care and Finding Meaning forums for discussions that might help.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hi Salem....how interesting it is to speak to someone in Kuwait. I live on Florida.

I feel for you. Having panic disorder for such a long time can really wear us down.

Sometimes ssri's can cause more anxiety and the symptoms you mentioned. And yet these are the drugs Doctors initially prescribe. The older drugs (tricyclics) are more easily tolerated and can aid anxiety alot more than ssri's.

Some people take Xanax as needed. It does stop panic right away. There is also a Beta Blocker called Propanolol (Inderall) which is non-addictive and stops anxiety.

It is better that you found out quickly about Citalopram not being good for you.

When I first went on meds for anxiety (agoraphobia)I took Pamelor (tricyclic) and it stopped the anxiety right away with minimal side effects. I am not advocating taking medicine, however, there are other meds besides ssri's.

Before I take any medication, even an antibiotic, I google as much information as I can. I have been hurt by Antidepressants like so many others.

Log onto Crazymeds.com and research.....

It sounds like the Citalopram exacerbated your anxiety which can happen. You are not alone.

Hang in there..

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Dears Altrostrata & Nikki,

Once, I red that only creative people get these conditions because they have marvelous imagination, so be thankful for that atleast we're good in something. ;)

Thank you for the support. I just shall mention that I passed out twice at the ER. This is sort of ignite my hypch. all the time. Today is my fourth day off cipralex, anxiety still above average and panic comes and goes. Yesterday started mini panic attack with three crying spills. I hope today I will be better. Those drugs must be banned. I am going after CBT to fix this dilemma. Hope you all find peace within.

Respectfully,

Sal.

Dear Nikki,

I remember taking Inderall 4 months ago, for heart palpitations, but it gave me Insomenia and slow-mo feeling in-return so I stopped it.

Respectfully,

Sal.

Do you remember the dose of the Inderall? I used to take 5mgs. which is very low. I can take 10mgs now. I rarely use it.

It put me to sleep at night. Ask you doctor about the tricyclics. You have had anxiety a long time and that can be so frustrating. I am not sure it may help, but it did for me and my daughter. Anxiety feeds off of itself. It sounds like you need something to interrupt the cycle.

Alto posted a thread about Magnesium and how calming it can be. A friend of mine is using it now for anxiety. It can help with sleeping too.

If possible, can you try meditation CD's at night. I have found them to be relaxing.

Nikki

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Dear Nikki.

I used to take 10mg Inderal.

I noticed something interesting yet strange, I started my day with a pure white bread, one banana and a freshly squeezed tangerine juice. My day was 80% anxiety-free. And just ate a banana and my mind is telling do you wanna go out to walk!?

I searched about what I ate and guess what!

"Bananas contain a natural chemical (which is also found in prozac) which can make a person happy." And without any side effects!

I am going to treat myself based on what I eat and do all the day. Tomorrow I will take a break of work for two weeks I hope they allow me to do so. Then I will start trying natural simple methods to find out the "cure".

I remember before three weeks on 2-days basis when I arrive at work I eat a banana. Just now I knew the reason why those 2-days were happy work-days.

Two weeks I've been thinking that there must be a reason that I got these conditions. Maybe I am starting to feel that I am the chosen one to find the cure, who knows! Hahaha!

I will try my best to keep you updated. Wish me luck.

Respectfully,

Sal.

• Administrator

That may be a window, a very good sign. Or it could be related to a nutrient in the food.

Listen to your body about what's good for you, you're on the right track!

I would not think about additional drugs now, let your body heal.

Hi Salem - I am in Muscat.

Do you have therapists nearby, someone you can talk to about these things? Not for medication - if you go in saying "I don't want medication" the counselor should respect that (or find another one!).

If you are Kuwaiti I'm thinking your culture is one where this is not widely accepted. Is this correct? I'm thinking that if you are 25 and all these negative feelings started in the past year, perhaps there is a reason? And perhaps you can figure it out in counseling & learn to deal with it drug-free.

From those of us who have taken these drugs.... They numb your brain. They numb your emotion. All the joy goes out of life, like it has gone from color to black-and-white. Everything is just... flat. And you stop really caring about anything, because you can't FEEL anything strongly enough to truly care.

And when you've had enough and want to stop taking them, you go through withdrawal and feel worse than when you started. More anxious, more depressed, physically ill. And you have to fight through all that to try to find normal again. Whatever normal is, because it will be hard to remember.

If you can avoid all this and deal with it through therapy? SO SO SO much better.

Lexapro/Escitalopram

- many attempts at taper were unsuccessful until I stopped taking hormonal birth control

- successful taper & Lexapro-free as of Dec 2015

Dear Altostrata,

Some nutrition triggers IBS, IBS triggers hidden conditions. I am starting a diary to find a conclusion.

Dear Wingbatty,

Good to know someone in our neighborhood :D! Welcome.

Considering your question about therapists,

to be honest with you we have a lot of therapists here in Kuwait yet most of them offers medication as the only best and fast resolution which is not!

I tried to go to a behavior therapist where he hypnotized me and convinced me to take medication! Can you believe it! Hahaha.

So for now I am going for the self-therapy which is trying to find simple natural methods.

And frankly, since I am a Kuwaiti, these "mental psychological conditions" aren't believed in within the society. But I am trying to change that starting with my family, before two days I gathered all of them and told them what I am going through. And believe me some of them who I thought they will understand my situation they turned to be the people that did not and started saying "What! Are you serious? It's all in your head you don't suffer from anything you just wasted our time" that was a shock for me, but in the other hand the people who I though they will not understand started saying "we are all beside you, we will beat this together Salem.. It's only a matter of time and those days will be only memoris" that was the great part that let me forget about the first shock. It eased many things on me. I told my best friend about it and they all supported me. I even had the courage to tweet about it on my twitter page because I believed there many people suffering behind the "closed doors". The hardest part is the reactions because I used to be someone to look forward to. Yet it eased many things on me. There's nothing to be ashamed of, when somebody suffers from a disease it's acceptable, but if another suffers from psychological condition! No it's not acceptable! Strange world.

----

Now for the updates...

Firstly, before the updates.. I want to give you a tip. Did you track yourself in the past 24 hours? You were not down and feeling down all 24 hours, right? I guessed so. Whenever you feel the enthusiastic moment, conquer it. Do something beautiful right away. Smile to someone, buy a chocolate bar and share it with a poor! Go for a walk, run. Drive around the block do anything outside your place. Even though it's a momentary rush it's way better that losing all 24 hours feeling down. You deserve happiness. The world awaits you to smile at it. Try it please.

----

Yesterday, was the most "anxious and relaxed" day for me, why?

Because I had to go to my work and tell them that I need a 2 weeks break. But before arriving, I had an accident, someone drove into my new car. Within minutes, another one drove into the other side of my car surprisingly he escaped the scene! I don't know how I managed to get through, but I called the police, then I called my boss and told him that I need a break for 2 weeks, but I can't get to workplace because I just had an accident. I got the break approved, went to the police station it was dusty weather I couldn't breathe and my panic levels started playing random scenarios. After 3 hours in police station and delayed papers I managed to get through and get back home. I was depressed because the other guy didn't had insurance so I have to fix my damaged car on my own. I got back home, slipped into my bed not wanting to talk to anyone. Telling myself : "It can't get worse, I am losing everything, and everything is damaged."

Guess what?

Within half an hour my father called me saying that the damages have been repaired with a polishing liquid and your car is back as usual. It was only paint all over my car from the other cars and because of my stress levels I thought that my car is damaged for good. After that my boss called me telling me that "I wish you a happy vacation because you are a good person."

It just made my day, I got up and take the car and went for a friend, at his crowded workplace! Can you believe it! We chitchat for one hour! Said goodbye went back home. Stayed for multiple hours then guess what? For the first time since more than 1 year, I went to McDonald's all by myself. For addition, I went to three supermarkets continuously! I think because I had the rush that I am not feeling afraid?

Whenever I see someone struggling from medication I pray for him to quit as soon as possible. Maybe you will suffer for 1-2 weeks but then what? You get yourself back on the track.

I will be here to support you, update, and give you the secret medication; it can't get worse, hope for better.

Today our national football team will play against Iraq national team, I wish we win so that by points, we and Iraq go to the finals together! :D

Much love to you people hang in there, I will be back.

Respectfully,

Sal.

Wow! You had an awesome day! I'm so glad you weren't injured in your accident & that your car was fine. hamdali'allah!

You are so brave, to be open about this! You may save someone else's life by doing so.

Your experience with the behavioral therapist is disappointing. I was thinking of looking for one, to help with negative, repeating thinking, things like obsessing when someone is mean to me. I can't find anything here - still pretty limited in Oman! But it sounds the one you went to was a flake!

I hope you continue to have days like this - good despite the bad.

Lexapro/Escitalopram

- many attempts at taper were unsuccessful until I stopped taking hormonal birth control

- successful taper & Lexapro-free as of Dec 2015

Dear Wingbatty,

I hope you find the peace within. You can!

Updates:

By being honest with myself and other, I just found out that one of my family members is suffering from depression that he misused medication until he started to forget simple things starting with my name!

So bad to find out this thing, yet it's good to know that many people are willing to be frank about their status.

Keep hope and faith. It's not gonna get worse than what we are going through daily, we must start to make it better. We have to do something.

Respectfully,

Sal.