Benn: Hello

Benn

Hi, my name is Benn, I'm 27, and I sorely want to get off Pristiq.

I have been on the drug since mid 2011 for mild anxiety, but am now thinking that my doctor put me on it just as a quick band aid solution. I've been considering a few options to get off it, and have done some research, but have decided that tapering would be my best option. The reason for this is because I have forgotten to take my dosage once or twice, but each time, I have the weirdest dreams, usually about people I know and love, and those people are the "bad guys" in my dream. Last night was such an instance as I forgot to take my medication.

I also have woken up after each forgotten med feeling a bit dizzy, and I have these strange and sudden pangs of dizziness every now and again. Also, the tinnitus in my ears seems to be more pronounced for a time as well. Given that I'm getting these symptoms almost immediately after I forget to take a tablet, I've decided cold turkey isn't the best option.

The only real side effects I've been having while on the drug are weight gain (which my partner isn't too fond of ;) ) even though my eating habits haven't changed, and the feeling of sleeplessness, even when I've had a full nights sleep. Apart from that I haven't noticed anything else, but that isn't to say there aren't any more.

I have six tablets left in my current dosage, and don't really like the idea of going back to my doctor to pay him $70, just for him to tell me not to taper. He is a good doctor and I've known him for many years, but I don't think he knows much about Pristiq, as he jumped on that idea as soon as I went to see him.

The problem I have noticed with Pristiq though is that it doesn't have a wide range of dosages in the lower end of the spectrum. I know cutting the tablets in half is a no-no, so I have considered compounding the tablets but I don't think there are many facilities available close to where I live. The closest would probably be Sydney.

Well, that's pretty much the up and down of my situation. If anyone has experienced anything similar to this, or has any advice about how I should approach this, please don't hesitate to reply. Any information is good information. Thanks for reading. :)

Pristiq, 50mg daily

Nexium (for reflux), 20mg daily

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Benn. Check out this info on tapering Pristiq here.

Hopefully it will give you something to start reading and then ask questions. Lots of helpful people here. :)

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, Benn, and welcome to the forum.

You're being very wise in looking for a way to taper off of Pristiq instead of just stopping it. Pristiq is a particularly difficult drug to taper from because of the lack of low doses, as you said, plus it's just a plain nasty, overstimulating drug.

Because Pristiq is a metabolite of Effexor, we generally suggest that people switch over to the latter and taper from there. The instructions are in the link in Areyouthere's post above. One of our moderators is currently tapering off Effexor herself, and I hope she'll be along soon to add her experiences. She's also in Australia so the two of you will even be awake at roughly the same times! :)

You'll find lots of good information here, and friendly, gently support as you get off your antidepressant.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Good move to taper slowly. I have not taken Pristiq, but there are alot of people here who have. Lots of info.

The mild effects you have experienced from forgetting to take your tablets does happen and can turn into severe effects if stopped cold turkey.

Nice to meet you. Lots of people here tapering pristiq and effexor.

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Benn,

Nice to meet another Aussie! As you have correctly surmised, Pristiq is a difficult drug to reduce off. I have been on effexor for many years and have been trying to get off for a long time. I think you will probably need to see a Dr to get another script for pristiq -6 days is not going to work. Once you break the slow release coating on the pristiq, you may need to dose twice a day. If I was on pristiq and wanting to get off, I would switch to effexor (effexor is a metaboIite of pristiq), so whilst you may have a little difficulty changing over, it shouldn't be too hard. I bought a packet of empty gelatin capsules and i count out the little beads inside (they are like hundreds and thousands). Every three weeks i take out the number of beads that equals 10% of the dose that i am on.

Can you give us some more information about the dose of pristiq you are on? You can go to any GP and get a script for it.

There is lots of information and support here

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

• Administrator

Welcome, Benn.

peggy, Nikki, Jemima, and areyouthere have given excellent advice.

Those taking Pristiq are in a quandary, as you've seen, when it comes to tapering.

You won't be able to cut up Pristiq tablets for a gradual enough dosage reduction. They don't cut well into quarters and cannot be made into a liquid.

If I were faced with cutting up Pristiq tablets or switching to Effexor, I would switch to regular Effexor. If you get the generic, it is very inexpensive. You can make a liquid from the tablets, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/272-tips-for-tapering-off-effexor-and-effexor-xr-venlafaxine/ .

Otherwise, I'd switch to Effexor XR and count out the beads.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks for all the welcomes and great information so far. I've noted people have said Effexor is a metabolite of Pristiq, so if I switched to Effexor would there be little, if any, side-effects? I'm on 50mg per day of Pristiq at the moment, so I surmise going onto 50mg of Effexor and tapering down gradually would be best.

At the moment, I'm thinking that the gel caps are the way to go because I can control my tapering more precisely. I currently have the rest of this week off work so I'm thinking about going to my GP and asking for a script for Effexor XR, even though he recommended I say on Pristiq for a full year (to hell with that).

Once again, thanks to all of you, and I'll keep posting here about my progress.

Pristiq, 50mg daily

Nexium (for reflux), 20mg daily

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Benn,

Hopefully you will have not have too many problems switching over to effexor - i am not sure of the equivalent effexor dose, but it is likely to be 75mg. Once you switch to Effexor, perhaps stabilise for a few weeks before beginning to taper. If you stabilise on 75mg, your first taper would be 7.5mg down to 67.5mg. I would suggest you count the beads in a few of the capsules to get an average - brand name versus generic effexor have different numbers of beads.

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

• Administrator

Benn, the dosage is not one-to-one in terms of milligrams. Read the entire topic areyouthere suggested: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/876-tips-for-tapering-off-pristiq-desvenlafaxine/

Welcome Benn. Check out this info on tapering Pristiq here.

Hopefully it will give you something to start reading and then ask questions. Lots of helpful people here. :)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.