SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

poppy: Venlafaxine withdrawal

poppy

• Moderator Emeritus

You might want to re-read post #13, above, where Skyler offers some good advice on handling time changes while traveling.

I'm at the very end of withdrawal now and feeling good most of the time, but there are some things I still don't handle well, like highly stressful situations such as you've been through, and stimulants like coffee and green tea. I'm thinking there must be some sort of chemical similarity in what happens to our bodies under stress and drinking something stimulating, but I'm drawing a blank on an answer to that at the moment.

I'm hoping I'll eventually be able to have a morning cup of coffee, but I'm going to have a to wait a while longer. One cup doesn't make me feel bad, but forget sleeping that night.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• poppy

• Altostrata

• strawberry17

• peggy

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you take your pills on time? I feel it as soon as I am late taking it.

Started Effexor August 2012 Sept'12-150mg=extreme anxiety Oct'12 cut half-75mg severe wds

Feb 2013 68.5mg. Mar'13- 65mg. Apr'13-59mg. May'13-57mg. June '13-52mg Aug'13 49.75mg.

Sep'13-48.75. Nov'13-47mg Dec'13-45..5mg

May 2014 42mg. Jun'14 40mg (depressive mood started). Aug'14 -40mg/ started brintellix 2.5mg

Oct '14 -39 Nov'14 36.89 Dec'14 34.45

Jan 2015- 31 Feb'15 29mg. Mar'15 26.72. Apr'15 24.48. May'15 22.31mg. Jun'15 20.30mg

Aug'15-18.89. Oct'15 16.96. Nov/16- 16.10. Dec/15- 15mg

Jan 2016-14.22. May'16 11.45. Aug'16-9.60. Sep/16- 8.88mg. Oct/16- 8.39mg. Nov/16- 8.13. Dec/16- 7.89

Hi Jemima,

I will re read Skyler's message.  I remember on a previous trip I tried to take the tablets a little different to compensate for the 5 hours difference but I seem so sensitive that I was experiencing problems here and got in a right muddle.

Hi Lexy,

I tried to take the tablets at the same time.  Here in the UK I always make sure I take them at 8am.  Trouble was we were staying with our son and grandchildren and the kids would get us up at different times.  Over the time I have been taking this rubbish I have tried taking the tablets at 8am whatever time I got up, e.g. if I had to get up at say 6am I would still take them at 8am but this didn't seem to work.  It seems for me that I have to take them at the time I get up, or later I feel horrible.  If that makes sense.

For some reason I feel it would help if I just understood what's happening.  After I returned to the UK I had 2 weeks of relatively been ok then suddenly I started to feel my mood was ok but felt later in the day that I was out of it and really drugged up.  This continued until I started feeling really panicky and crying uncontrollably.  I was worried to go again to the US as I hadn't really picked up again.  I coped really well and had some good times.  But it has come back again.

Thanks for listening.

Poppy

2012 - about 7 various antidepressants, didn't suit.  Dec 2012 - 225mg venlafaxine.  2013 dropped to 150mg stayed for a year at this mg

2014 - 112.5mg venlafaxine.  2014 75mg venlafaxine.  2015 37.5mg venlafaxine for couple of weeks.  Back up to 75mg as agitated, and sobbing uncontrolably.  Back down to 37.5mg as 75mg too much.  Summer 2015 started cutting down by 2? every 2 weeks and added 50mg clomipramine as advised by gp to brdige venlafaxine.  8th Feb 2016 was down to 1.42 on scales then got panics on waking and crying and panics and overbreathing at lunchtime.  No cuts since then until now but on 17th March lost voice and terrible cough which still have on 30th March.  26th March upped to 1.44 for 4 days then back to 1.42 as felt down hard work with all the panicking and didn't want to go through that again.  Have had 17 CUTS of 2 % since summer 2015. Still on 50mg clomipramine as well.  Got down to about half of a 37.5mg capsule and just stopped, not sure if this was the amount as it is over 3 years ago now.  Obviously not the thing to do as have had no meds at all now for over 3 years and still feeling terrific protracted withdrawal.

• 6 months later...

Hi I am an old member trying to go onto the site, my user name was Poppy.  I have tried this morning to get on, could not remember my password and the site would not let me change it.  I have had to ask my daughter to create an account so I can let you know as I did not know any other way of getting on.  Basically I would like to get on under my Poppy user name, if that makes sense.

Regards, Poppy

2012 - about 7 various antidepressants, didn't suit.  Dec 2012 - 225mg venlafaxine.  2013 dropped to 150mg stayed for a year at this mg

2014 - 112.5mg venlafaxine.  2014 75mg venlafaxine.  2015 37.5mg venlafaxine for couple of weeks.  Back up to 75mg as agitated, and sobbing uncontrolably.  Back down to 37.5mg as 75mg too much.  Summer 2015 started cutting down by 2? every 2 weeks and added 50mg clomipramine as advised by gp to brdige venlafaxine.  8th Feb 2016 was down to 1.42 on scales then got panics on waking and crying and panics and overbreathing at lunchtime.  No cuts since then until now but on 17th March lost voice and terrible cough which still have on 30th March.  26th March upped to 1.44 for 4 days then back to 1.42 as felt down hard work with all the panicking and didn't want to go through that again.  Have had 17 CUTS of 2 % since summer 2015. Still on 50mg clomipramine as well.  Got down to about half of a 37.5mg capsule and just stopped, not sure if this was the amount as it is over 3 years ago now.  Obviously not the thing to do as have had no meds at all now for over 3 years and still feeling terrific protracted withdrawal.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Poppy , welcome back.  

I think you need to message Altostrata directly for this.

All the best ,   Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Poppy/Myrtle,

I found your original introduction thread, its here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3566-poppy-venlafaxine-withdrawel/

If you would like, we could join that thread to this one, and you continue posting on this account/thread.  If not, then its probably best to contact Alto directly, as Fresh suggested, by sending her a message from here:   http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/user/1-altostrata/

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thank you Fresh and Petunia for your answers, I have messaged Alto.

Kindest regards

Last year I was on 37.5mg Venlafaxine.  I had just started to feel a bit more stable then went out to the US in April and then again in June.  When I came back at the end of July it wasn't too bad at first but I then started to get withdrawals about 1pm.  I have not recovered and at the New Year I started to feel worse.  The withdrawal kicks in between 1pm-3pm ish.  At the moment I am feeling very depressed and had to ring the Mental Health team yesterday.

My questions are after vowing I would never go up in mg I feel maybe I should.  I am sure I read on the site somewhere to not go up the full 37.5mg and take 75mg but only take a proportion.  What amount should I increase by.  I know it is so long after the problem started and hope that it may help, is it too long after.  I didn't increase at the time because I hadn't taken a drop in mg just a time difference.  Also does anyone know why I should still be suffering from the time difference.  My husband, who is the only one who believes the whole withdrawal thing, thinks it is nothing to do with the time difference now.  All I can say is that before I went to the US I was ready to take my next drop and didn't feel anything like I been feeling before that.  My GP and the mental health team want me to take a increase to 75mg and I feel that it is too big a jump up.  I hope that I can level out and then come down slower.  My nightmare is that I will increase and then be stuck at a mg even higher than I am now and that if I could eventually come back down I would still feel like I am now.  I feel so trapped and do not know what to do, I feel suicidal.

Thanks for listening.

• Administrator

In answer to your question, did you simply quit 37.5mg venlafaxine in April 2014?

Between April 2014 and the present, you did not take any psychiatric drugs?

You are just now considering reinstatement, is that correct?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks Alto for answering, I really appreciate it.

No I did NOT quit the 37.5mg venlafaxine.  I have continued taking this amount since October 2013.  I cut down October 2013 from 75mg to the 37.5mg.

I have had problems since I returned from the US in August last year.  Before that I was coping.  My question is I feel I need to go up some mgs to see if I feel any better.  Can I go up to the full 75mg or should I do it in stages.  My GP and physchiatrist do not understand.  My fear is that taking extra will not do any good.  I am on tablets now, extended release that I cannot cut so I am going to ask for, probably have to fight for, capsules so I can use the balls inside.

Kindest regards

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Myrtle/Poppy.

If you're going to increase , it should be in small increments.  Hope fully you will stabilize on a lot less than 75mg.

I don't know if increasing is the answer or not , but clearly you need do to try something different.

Glad you found your way back here  :)

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Hi Fresh,

Thanks for the reply.  I hope I can get the 75mg capsules.  I did buy a scale but don't know how much more than the 37.5mg I am now taking I should add at first.Also I wouldn't know what it should weigh.  I can't get my head around doing the capsules but I am going to because my husband isn't in agreement with it.  I am so sorry to be such a pain but I will need to sort it out, is there somewhere on the site where it tells you what to do.  Also do you think if 37.5mg capsules are available, it would be best to take these and add some from another capsule or take the 75mg capsule and take some out.

I just tried to go to the shops but starting crying and had to come back.

Kindest regards to you,

Myrtle/Poppy

Sorry Alto, I found it.

The mental health team are suggesting I change antidepressants to try to get off the venlafaxine.  I said I would never take another antidepressant as long as I live but if it helps to get off I will try it.  Trouble is before taking the Ven I had 7 different ones and cannot tolerate Prozac.  Wouldn't that mean I would be going cold turkey on the venlafaxine if I changed.

• Moderator Emeritus

If you have reacted to 7 different anti depressants then you are likely to react to another one too.  I would not accept another one, you can be polite but firm with your doctor on this. It isn't his brain that's being mashed!  I would go to the chemist and ask them about the capsules, you could say that you are having trouble with the tablets, they don't go down very well which is true!  As far as I am aware, a doctor in the UK can't prescribe a brand, just venlafaxine and the pharmacy is the one who buys the stock and fills the script.  I had different brands from different chemists locally so stuck with the same one to get the capsules with beads.  You may be able to take the script to a different chemist, you can also see a different doctor. Yours sounds like a pain!

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Hi Mamma P,

Thanks for the good advice.  I went to the Mental Health team and what a waste of time.  She wanted me to change to Cymbalta, straight swop from the venlafaxine.  I looked up Cymbalta on the internet and contrary to her promises, it has just as terrible write ups as venlafaxine.  No thank you.  I do not want to take another antidepressant, so shan't.  I am going to try to get the capsules from my GP, here's hoping.

It is so great to have people like you who I trust to know what they are talking about, how can you trust the medical profession when they give you such advice.

• Moderator Emeritus

Why do they all want to switch you to something else?  I don't understand any of their reasoning, but then I don't understand why they prescribe the stuff to begin with! 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

merged poppy's topics.

poppy, does your Effexor come in a capsule with little beads?

I am thinking, if you get withdrawal symptoms about 1 p.m., you might split your dose and take a small amount in the afternoon.

Are you taking any other drugs? Please put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.htmland post the results in this topic.

Could be another drug is interfering with the Effexor.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Poppy. Just wanted you to know that I cold-turkey-quit Effexor on a few occasions, and became manic or psychotic for months after, each time. (After the first time I was told I had bipolar illness, so it was years before i figured out that quitting Effexor caused mania and psychosis.) So please be very careful about HOW you come off it. I'm glad your husband understands. 

2009: Cancer hospital said I had adjustment disorder because I thought they were doing it wrong. Their headshrinker prescribed Effexor, and my life set on a new course. I didn't know what was ahead, like a passenger on Disneyland's Matterhorn, smiling and waving as it climbs...clink, clink, clink.

2010: Post surgical accidental Effexor discontinuation by nurses, masked by intravenous Dilaudid. (The car is balanced at the top of the track.) I get home, pop a Vicodin, and ...

Whooosh...down, down, down, down, down...goes the trajectory of my life, up goes my mood and tendency to think everything is a good idea.
2012: After the bipolar jig was up, now a walking bag of unrelated symptoms, I went crazy on Daytrana (the Ritalin skin patch by Noven), because ADHD was a perfect fit for a bag of unrelated symptoms. I was prescribed Effexor for the nervousness of it, and things got neurological. An EEG showed enough activity to warrant an epilepsy diagnosis rather than non-epileptic ("psychogenic") seizures.

:o 2013-2014: Quit everything and got worse. I probably went through DAWS: dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I drank to not feel, but I felt a lot: dread, fear, regret, grief: an utter sense of total loss of everything worth breathing about, for almost two years.

I was not suicidal but I wanted to be dead, at least dead to the experience of my own brain and body.

2015: I  began to recover after adding virgin coconut oil and organic grass-fed fed butter to a cup of instant coffee in the morning.

I did it hoping for mental acuity and better memory. After ten days of that, I was much better, mood-wise. Approximately neutral.

And, I experienced drowsiness. I could sleep. Not exactly happy, I did 30 days on Wellbutrin, because it had done me no harm in the past. 

I don't have the DAWS mood or state of mind. It never feel like doing anything if it means standing up.

In fact, I don't especially like moving. I'm a brain with a beanbag body.   :unsure:

Alto thanks for sorting out the site for me.  I am currently on XR tablets and hope to change to capsules with the little balls if I can convince my GP to give me the script.  I am not on any other medication other than venlafaxine.

Regards Poppy

Thanks also Westcoast for your answer.  I intend to take the rest of the mgs very slowly.  I only wished I had taken notice when everyone on the site told me just how notorious venlafaxine was for withdrawal.  I knew it would be hard but that is the understatement of the year.  Please anyone just starting out on their reduction take heed everyone on this site completely knows what they are talking about with respect to venlafaxine withdrawal.

Regards, Poppy

Oh Alto I have just thought I do take Fish Oil supplement.

• 3 weeks later...

After being on 37.5mg Venlafaxine for about 18 months, have got down from 225mg in about 18 months to 2 years and since xmas feeling even worse I have reluctantly decided that I need to updose.  I have managed to get 75mg capsules of Efexor with the spheres inside.  My question is I know that I shouldn't just swap from the 37.5mg to 75mg but how much should I increase the 37.5mg to.

Should it be 10% increase.  I would really appreciate your help.  I intend, when I stabilise, to use the capsules and take it very slowly.  I am so pleased I have been able to get the capsules.

Thanks a lot,

Poppy

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi poppy ,  I like the way you're thinking  -  "nail it before it gets worse" is my personal philosophy.

The safest way to go up is by 10% increments , for a number of reasons.    Firstly , you want to get stable on as low a dosage as possible.  Easier to go down from in the long run.   

Secondly , you're cns has become sensitized after 3 years on the venlafaxine , so there is always a risk with increasing that it will be that bit too much.   You may have an adverse reaction , which will manifest in the first 24-48 hours.  If that happens , reassess.   Because it's only been a small increase , it will pass quicker than if it was a 20% or 50% uppage.  

If the increase is going to help , you will likely feel some symptom relief within the first 4-7 days (but possibly/hopefully within hours).    At that point you can decide whether to continue titrating up or sit.   So I would suggest waiting at least a week before further increasing.

Thanks for your posts , I enjoy reading them.

Best wishes ,  Fresh

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Poppy,

I joined the new topic you started with your original intro/update thread.  Its one introduction topic per member.  You can use this thread as your ongoing journal to track progress, write about symptoms, ask questions and communicate with the community, please add updates here.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hi Fresh, thank you so much for replying I really appreciate it.  I know you answered me before and said go up in small increments but wasn't sure just how small.  Thanks for the information.  Hope things are going well for you.

Poppy

Hi Petunia, Sorry I started a new discussion I thought that was what I was supposed to do.  I will add anything else here.

Thanks a lot.

Poppy

Hi

I just read part of your thread and I see that Alto recommended a split dose as you get more wds after 1pm. Have you started splitting it?

Started Effexor August 2012 Sept'12-150mg=extreme anxiety Oct'12 cut half-75mg severe wds

Feb 2013 68.5mg. Mar'13- 65mg. Apr'13-59mg. May'13-57mg. June '13-52mg Aug'13 49.75mg.

Sep'13-48.75. Nov'13-47mg Dec'13-45..5mg

May 2014 42mg. Jun'14 40mg (depressive mood started). Aug'14 -40mg/ started brintellix 2.5mg

Oct '14 -39 Nov'14 36.89 Dec'14 34.45

Jan 2015- 31 Feb'15 29mg. Mar'15 26.72. Apr'15 24.48. May'15 22.31mg. Jun'15 20.30mg

Aug'15-18.89. Oct'15 16.96. Nov/16- 16.10. Dec/15- 15mg

Jan 2016-14.22. May'16 11.45. Aug'16-9.60. Sep/16- 8.88mg. Oct/16- 8.39mg. Nov/16- 8.13. Dec/16- 7.89

Hi Lexy,

No I haven't split it because I have only yesterday updosed from the 37.5mg by 10% and changed from Venlafaxine generic 37.5mg extended release tablets to extended release Efexor capsules.  It has taken me all this time to get the capsules.  I will see how I go in the next couple of weeks.

Regards,

Poppy

• 1 year later...

Hello, I haven't been on here for ages as I couldn't seem to get on and yet today I managed it.  I am feeling suicidal.  I have been cutting down venlafaxine for about 4 years now.  I am currently having 75mg capsules as they don't do 37.5mg in the uk.  My husband makes it into a 37.5mg then we have been taking out 2% every 2 weeks.  I tried 10% but just couldn't stand it.  I haven't had a cut now for over 6 weeks as I feel so bad.  It has been that I wake up not good  but by the time I take the rubbish I can cope.  I feel now I can't, keep crying, I mean sobbing.  I cannot see anyway out of it.  My GP wants me to do 37.5mg for a week and then just stop.  I have told him I am not taking all the 37.5mg, in fact it is about 2/3rds of the 37.5mg I am taking.

I just don't know what to do, where to put myself - if I stay in bed I feel it is beating me, I sit in the lounge and cry and cry.

I had decided to hold at the amount I am on to whenevr I felt a bit better but it is not doing that, I don't know what to do. Please if anyone can help on what to do I am just getting through the day at the moment.  I thought I was taking it slowly, what else can you do, it's only been 2% drops for heavens sake. On the scale it says 142, not sure what that means, then down 2s from that, hope that makes sense as I don't understand it myself.  Have we been doing it correctly.  I have also had a bad cough and chest for at least a week and have lost my voice.

Thank you so much

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi poppy, I'm sorry that you have been having such a tough time with withdrawal. Could you clarify what dosage you are on now, when the last cut was, and your syptom pattern, what they are and when they come up relative to the cut? Do you ever feel stable between cuts?

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

Hi Squirrely girl,

I don't know what I am on to be honest.  As I said after halving the 75mg capsule because I can't get 37.5mg in the uk - so we are starting from 37.5mg I have been cutting down 2%  every 2 weeks and I have had one cut at first at 10% which was too much and then I have had 15 cuts every 2 weeks at 2%/  I don't know if you could call it stable, I suppose so, but the last cut of 2% 6 weeks ago was terrible.  Today I cannot stop crying.  The symptoms I have is excessive yawning and look 

like I am drugged up.  I cry a lot. On Sunday I was crying hysterically and rang my sister in a state, on Monday I got up and went shopping!!!

i used to take the capsule at 8.00am on the dot and by the time I had my breakfast and bathed I could go shopping or whatever.  I thought I was cutting it down slowly and if someone suggests upping the dose again, how could I cut down again slower than that.  I feel no matter which way I turn it is hell, I just want to do the right thing.  My hope is to cope whilst I am withdrawing and I don't feel like I am now.  Is there any hope,   I don't normally feel the cut straight away, often a week or so after the worst symptoms come.  I hate feeling like I do today because I feel I am uncontrollable.  My poor husband is ill himelf at the moment with a chest infection and is in a lot of pain and I am carrying on like this. I started after the last cut to panic and over breath at about lunch time which was awful and as one thing ended something else come on and I am now crying so much typing this I can barely focus.  I don't expect anyone to wave a magic wand, I have always tried my very hardest to fight this, but don't know what to do next.  I dread going to bed as I don't want to wake up and fight it all over again.

I also have terrible sweats, dripping off my face.  I have a bad cough at the moment and have lost my voice.

• Moderator Emeritus

It sounds to me like you have been pushing your taper too fast and your nervous system is way behind schedule. It may be prudent to updose to your last dosage and hold there a couple of months to really get stabilized. It takes as long as it takes and you must really listen to your body. I would not do any cutting if you are having ANY symptoms.

This article should explain why you are having such a tough time under 37.5 mg and must slow down :-)

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6036-why-taper-paper-demonstrates-importance-of-gradual-change-in-plasma-concentration/page-2#entry94656

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

Hi poppy , I am so sorry you are feeling like this , I have been where you are now and I know it's hell , I was stop by my gp over a four week period after 10 years plus of Effexor and it nearly killed me , I to went through the crying all the time and the sweating and crippling anxiety and I wish that I could have withdrawn much more slowly but to be true the Effexor was actually working against me and making me really ill , what is happening to you is a common withdrawel symptom of Effexor and it is very unpleasant , but it will ease , please do not just stop taking this med as it really can make your recovery a lot harder , there are so many people on here that can give you support and guidance and there are many forums with withdrawel help and suggestions ,

2001 to jan 2015 Effexor 150 mg 

jan 2015 15 mg mirtazapine 20 mg quetiapine 

feb 2015 quetiapine stopped 

feb 2015 30 mg of citalopram added 

feb 2015 mirtazapine increased to 30 mg 

july 2015 citalopram stopped 

sept 2015 200mg of pregabalin 

jan 2017 mirtazapine stopped

jan 2017 20 mg fluoxetine

march 2017 all meds stopped 

Thank you squirrelygirl and Terry for replying.  Trouble is during the withdrawel journey I held for a year at one time.  Like you Terry the effexor worked against me.  I have withdrawel during the day normally around lunchtime and then I would go really dopey and looked completely drugged up for some reason.  I don't know how I will know when to take another cut as you say squirrelygirl don't do any cuts until you are not getting ANY symptoms..  I don't know how to explain it the rubbish makes me feel so rotten it will be hard to know when it would be ok to cut.  I know what I mean but it is not coming out right.  Problem as well is my gp was trying to bridge with another antidepressant and he started me on 50mg of clomipramine which I take also now   ugh.

I dont care how long it takes me to get off, cant see I ever will be though, but I thought I was going slowly at 2%.  Do you think it could have been the cutting every 2 weeks that caused more problems.  At the moment I just want to stabilise, but how will I continue when I feel more stabilised if 2% was too much. 

Can I ask why I have 1 warning points under my name.

I have never been disrespectful or rude to anyone.  What is this all about, if this is not bad enough.  What have I been warned about.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Poppy, as far as I can see there are no warning points under your name.  I can check further if you point me to where you are seeing this. 

I've moved this new intro thread to join onto your old one as it's one intro thread per member.  This way we can understand your situation much better. 

Filling out a signature would also be very helpful.

Karen,

PS I'm tapering Effexor too - no easy path.

Edited by KarenB
added note about moving post

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Poppy,

Please put your Withdrawal History in Signature

Please include dates, drugs, doses and how you decreased/increased.  The staff will be better able to assess your individual situation and offer suggestions once we have these details.

If you click Follow This Topic (top right) you will be notified when someone replies.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Poppy, I take 2% drops too and still have many symptoms. Paxil and Effexor are notoriously difficult to withdraw from and if I were you I would hold longer in between drops. As for waiting to drop until you are having no symptoms, that is unrealistic. I prefer to wait until I'm functioning at WDnormal. That means that even though I may be experiencing symptoms they are at a tolerable level and not worse than usual. If I'm feeling worse than WDnormal then I try to hold until I feel more stable. There are some of us that just feel crappy most of the time even if we are tapering slow.

a.k.a JMarie

Paxil since Mar.1998

2006-2007:40-20mg
2009: 20mg to 14mg 2010: 14mg to 10.5mg 2011: 10.5 to 7.6mg  2012: 7.5 to 6.8mg

2013: 6.7-6.3mg 2014: 6.2mg-5.8mg 2015: 5.7 to 5.15mg 2016: 5.1-4.6mg

1/19/17: 4.5mg 3/17/17: 4.4mg

6/15/17: 4.35mg 8/10/17: 4.3mg

1/29/18: 4.1mg 5/07/18: 4.0mg

7/31/18: 3.9mg