SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Sound Bites

Healing

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.' We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we're liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

-- Marianne Williamson

1996-97 - Paxil x 9 months, tapered, suffered 8 months withdrawal but didn't know it was withdrawal, so...

1998-2001 - Zoloft, tapered, again unwittingly went into withdrawal, so...

2002-03 - Paxil x 20 months, developed severe headaches, so...

Sep 03 - May 05 - Paxil taper took 20 months, severe physical, moderate psychological symptoms

Sep 03 - Jun 05 - took Prozac to help with Paxil taper - not recommended

Jul 05 to date - post-taper, severe psychological, moderate physical symptoms, improving very slowly

"Follow your bliss and don't be afraid, and doors will open where you didn't know they were going to be. If you follow your bliss, doors will open for you that wouldn't have opened for anyone else."

-- Joseph Campbell

1996-97 - Paxil x 9 months, tapered, suffered 8 months withdrawal but didn't know it was withdrawal, so...

Sep 03 - May 05 - Paxil taper took 20 months, severe physical, moderate psychological symptoms

Jul 05 to date - post-taper, severe psychological, moderate physical symptoms, improving very slowly

"I've missed over 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game-winning shot . . . and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."

-- Michael Jordan

This is a classic one, but it should be repeated over and over again, especially here, on SA. For the revoultions and societal paradigm shifts are usually initiated by no more than 2-5% of the population, sometimes even far far fewer. Then it all grows until reaching the Critical Mass.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

2000-2008 Paxil for a situational depression

2008 - Paxil c/t

Severe protracted WD syndrome ever since; improving

“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once”

Albert Einstein

"Add signature to your profile. This way we can help you even better!"

Surviving Antidepressants ;)

And, above all, ... keep walking. Just keep walking.

"If you look at history, even recent history, you see that there is indeed progress. . . . Over time, the cycle is clearly, generally upwards. And it doesn't happen by laws of nature. And it doesn't happen by social laws. . . . It happens as a result of hard work by dedicated people who are willing to look at problems honestly, to look at them without illusions, and to go to work chipping away at them, with no guarantee of success — in fact, with a need for a rather high tolerance for failure along the way, and plenty of disappointments."

— Noam Chomsky

And progress there's absolutely. Though it still seems so slow over the decades and centuries. So slow, and so "wave and window" like. After each progressive step, there comes the worsening of the symptoms. Seems like the world is in WD itself. The good news is that every WD eventually ends.

2008 - Paxil c/t

Albert Einstein

On ne découvre pas de terre nouvelle sans consentir à perdre de vue, d'abord et longtemps, tout rivage.

One doesn't discover new lands without consenting to lose sight, for a very long time, of the shore.

-- André Gide

"I've missed over 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game-winning shot . . . and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."

-- Michael Jordan

This is from a Nike commercial. Mike read this line from a script written for him. The commercial became one of his more well-known. Media asked Jordan which of the 26 failed game-winning attemps he most remembers. He said none stood out and that he doubted he had missed that many game-winners in his career. He said, essentially, "I think they just made that number up."

It's a wonderful message. Just not anything that Jordan actually said off-the-cuff. I used the NBA as a life-substitute during periods of my 'medicated underfunctioning' so I know way more about NBA players than I wish I did. Still great quote... whoever wrote it at the ad agency.

Alex.i

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

"Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential."

“Never, never, never, never give up.”

-- W. Churchill

- Zimmerman

Oh, shucks. I got that Michael Jordan quote from a website. The concept is very true, though. You know that book "Chicken Soup for the Soul"? Well, it has many surprising anecdotes of famous, successful people who failed many times on their way to final success.

For example, Abraham Lincoln lost as many or more elections than he won for lower level positions, and yet became president.

I think it was Henry Ford who declared bankrupcty multiple times on his way to selling cars to a huge number of people.

And I think it was Willie Mays or Hank Aaron or maybe Babe Ruth (I'm not a sports person :P ) who was the *strike out* king as well as the home run king.

It's just eye-opening to find out that these people who seem to do things by magic, in fact, had *more* than their share of hard times. In fact, it seems that in order to achieve the very most, you have to be willing to fail a lot. :blink:

I know exactly what you mean. Thomas Edison was a person who endured as much as failure as success but didn't see failures as such. The record provides a number of great quotes from him on the subject.

Here are a few:

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."

"Many of life's failures are men who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."

"I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward."

Edison, of course, is remembered as one of the greatest inventors ever.

History forgets his failures. :D

You're right that there are many many stories of people who refused to give up and reached their goals after others had written them off as hopeless cases. The painter Cezanne comes to mind as an example.

The concept is one that I try to remember, along with something said by another great sports figure, Yogi Berra.

"It ain't over 'til it's over."

Alex.i

- Zimmerman

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new lands but seeing with new eyes.

—Marcel Proust

2008 - Paxil c/t

Albert Einstein

Right on, Alex! There's this neat book about the myths about creativity and age. There are people who are brilliant very young, like Mozart. But then there are people who don't get it all to gel until much later, after much experimentation, "failure," integration of experience.

For example, Cezanne didn't produce his greatest work until after 50. Even Picasso -- who was one of the young geniuses -- didn't do everything by magic -- he made 500 preparatory drawings for "Les Demoiselles d'Avignon."

I'm going to post about that book. Stay tuned.....

There are people who are brilliant very young, like Mozart. But then there are people who don't get it all to gel until much later, after much experimentation, "failure," integration of experience.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/adventures-in-old-age/200902/prodigies-vs-late-bloomers-wolfgang-mozart-or-elliott-carter

2008 - Paxil c/t

Albert Einstein

"How we respond when the storm strikes is up to us. How we live in the aftermath of tragedy and heartache, that's within our control. And it's in these moments, through our actions, that we often see the glimpse of what makes life worth living in the first place. [The heroes around us are] driven by love."

-- President Barack Obama, touring Joplin, Mo. on 29 May 11, in aftermath of 22 May 11 EF-5 tornado

"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals."

--Hannah More

"Darkness is not the whole of the story - every pilgrimage has passages of loveliness and joy - but it is the part of the story most often left untold. When we finally escape the darkness and stumble into the light, it is tempting to tell others that our hope never flags, to deny those long nights we spend cowering in fear."

-- Parker J. Palmer

What we are all aware of is that, struggle as we may, there is no way to get away from our pain and suffering. It is part of the human experience. When we try to escape our suffering, we become so absorbed in it that it becomes the very focal point of our experience! Quite often making it more intense, then becoming more fearful unable to imagine anything else but our struggle which creates more suffering. But there is another way, by staying close to our experience, curiously watching, breath by breath, open to what it has to show us, we can begin to see and understand on a deeper level what is the meaning of our suffering. I found this beautiful and insight quote that I wanted to share with you today. I hope you find it as helpful as I have:

We should most likely consider the complete deliverance from the suffering of this world to be an illusion. After all, the symbolic-exemplary human life of Christ also did not end in satisfied bliss,but rather on the cross. The goal is important only as an idea, but more essential is the work which leads to the goal. It fills the duration of life with purpose.

-C. G. Jung

Now, this one is super short, but has all it's needed... :)

"Who seeks shall find"

Sophocles

2008 - Paxil c/t

Albert Einstein

Ha! I see your four words, and give you an even shorter ancient quotable quote --

"Know thyself."

-- Inscribed on the Temple of Apollo at Delphi

[For new member Rose -- Greek: γνῶθι σεαυτόν, gnōthi seauton]

;)

• Administrator

"Who seeks shall find"

Sophocles

Particularly if you use Google.

Here's one that speaks to me right now, triaging tasks right and left:

"Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible." ~ Francis of Assisi

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I've very much enjoyed reading this thread this evening. Thanks to everyone who contributed!

Here's an excerpt from a wonderful book titled, "Returning to the Teachings".

Subject: Effective Living

If we fail to organize all aspects of our lives, including our work, around making positive or healing contributions to our relationships, then we are actually making negative contributions instead.

Healing is not just a form of emotional or psychological surgery you reach for after there has been a significant injury. Instead, healing is seen as an everyday thing, for everyone, something which, like sound nutrition, creates health.

In other words, the healing perspective must be built into the attitudes which shape every aspect of every day.

Rupert Ross

To Face My Trials with "The Grace of a Woman Rather Than the Grief of a Child". (quote section by Veronica A. Shoffstall)

Be Not Afraid of Growing Slowly. Be Afraid of Only Standing Still.

(Chinese Proverb)

I Create and Build Empowerment Within Each Time I Choose to Face A Fear, Sit with it and Ask Myself, "What Do I Need to Learn?"

I have no idea who the author is since, this was the face of an inspirational card that I bought quite a few years ago.

This always provides strength in my weak moments.

Like water..........feel peaceful.

Like wood...........keep growing.

Like fire..............be alive.

Like earth..........experience balance.

Like metal..........stay strong.

To Face My Trials with "The Grace of a Woman Rather Than the Grief of a Child". (quote section by Veronica A. Shoffstall)

Be Not Afraid of Growing Slowly. Be Afraid of Only Standing Still.

(Chinese Proverb)

I Create and Build Empowerment Within Each Time I Choose to Face A Fear, Sit with it and Ask Myself, "What Do I Need to Learn?"

• 1 month later...

For example, Abraham Lincoln lost as many or more elections than he won for lower level positions, and yet became president.

I came across this today:

Born into poverty, Lincoln was faced with

defeat throughout his life.

He lost eight elections, twice failed in

business and suffered a nervous breakdown.

He could have quit many times - but he

didn't and because he didn't quit, he

became one of the greatest presidents in

the United States history.

Here's a sketch of Lincoln's road to the

White House:

1816 His family was forced out of their home.

He had to work to support them.

1818 His mother died.

1831 Failed in business.

1832 Ran for state legislature - lost.

1832 Also lost his job - wanted to go

to law school but couldn't get in.

1833 Borrowed some money from a friend to

begin a business and by the end of the year

he was bankrupt. He spent the next 17 years

of his life paying off this debt.

1834 Ran for state legislature again - won.

1835 Was engaged to be married, sweetheart

died and his heart was broken.

1836 Had a total nervous breakdown and was

in bed for six months.

1838 Sought to become speaker of the state

legislature - defeated.

1840 Sought to become elector - defeated.

1843 Ran for Congress - lost.

1846 Ran for Congress again - this time he won -

went to Washington and did a good job.

1848 Ran for re-election to Congress - lost.

1849 Sought the job of land officer in

his home state - rejected.

1854 Ran for Senate of the United States - lost.

1856 Sought the Vice-Presidential nomination

at his party's national convention -

got less than 100 votes.

1858 Ran for U.S. Senate again - again he lost.

1860 Elected president of the United States.

You would have thought Lincoln would have

given up early on wouldn't you, with all he lost?

But he didn't...

He kept on going, he didn't stop even

when everything seemed against him.

alex.i

- Zimmerman

Alexejice: I often remember the summary of Abraham Lincoln's life....I saw it when I was in my 20's I still have it posted in my home. I am also listening to Tony Robbins Personal Power Tapes. He says the most successful people are the people who have failed the most....but just didn't give up. Well I'm not going to give up.....

On antidepressants since October 1997 including: Paxil, Celexa, Cipralex, Effexor (a couple of days only, horrible stuff.....), Pristiq 50 mg.

Started to taper off Pristiq Feb 2011, last pill April 9, 2011

Take the occassional Clonazapam when morning anxiety too much to handle.

Post menopausal - started low dose BHRT 27July10

Reinstated 5mg of Escitalopram (Cipralex), 2 Aug 2010

Stopped taking BHRT 19Aug11

Increased to 10 mg Cipralex 19Aug11

Increased to 15 mg Cipralex 29Aug11

• 1 year later...

- Zimmerman

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy