Introduction for whitby98

whitby98

Hi everyone. Glad I found this site because I really want to connect with others who are going through the same things.

I'm a 48 year old female who has been on and off antidepressants for about 20 years. This latest stretch has lasted about 5 years, I think (it's hard to keep track). I was on Zoloft until I maxed out at 200 mg/day and it lost its effectiveness. My doctor added 300 mg/day of Wellbutrin along with it. I've been on this combination for about 2 years. My therapist has diagnosed me with dysthmia which is chronic low-grade depression (seems to run in my family).

Several months ago I began taking a more holistic approach to my health. I'm taking vitamins and supplements, trying to exercise and eat better, etc. I started seeing a chiropractor who I love dearly (always thought it was BS but I'm a believer now). I talked with him about the antidepressants and he suggested I get off them, so I started working with my general doctor and have begun the tapering off process.

Over the last several months, I've very slowly tapered off the Zoloft and for the last couple of weeks I've been off it completely. I'm still on the full dose of Wellbutrin. I did really well with the tapering, never really noticing any adverse symptoms until I quit the Zoloft completely. Now I can't concentrate, I'm depressed, I'm hypersensitive to noise, and I'm having bizarre bouts of intense anger that come out of nowhere (resulting in my purposely hitting myself in the head on a couple of occasions out of sheer frustration). I don't feel right and I'm scared. Part of me wants to give up and go back on Zoloft because I don't know how long all these symptoms are going to last.

I'm following up with my doctor the first week in February. I was going to start tapering off the Wellbutrin but given how I'm feeling right now, I don't know if that's such a good idea. I'm miserable and I nobody around me understands what I'm going through.

(p.s. I don't know how to do the signature line thing where I put in my medication info)

Diagnosed with dysthymia approx. 15 years ago. On and off antidepressants for approx. 20 years. Most recently on a combo of Zoloft (200 mg/day) plus Wellbutrin (300 mg/day) for approx. 2 years. Began tapering off Zoloft several months ago and as of mid-Jan. 2013 I am off it completely. Now suffering withdrawal symptoms (depression, anger, hypersensitivty, sleep issues). My goal is to also get off Wellbutrin once I get through the Zoloft withdrawal.

Hi...

I live in Jupiter ;) Once we finish our tapers there is a period of time in which we experience 'protracted withdrawal.' WD symptoms persist for a good amount of time.

Don't despair, it's part of the WD process. Coming to the site will help you a great deal.

If you are off Zoloft and you had the experience of "poop out" (when you are on a full dose like you were and it loses it's effectiveness) then why bother going back on something that may not work.

Additionally after being off a medication for a period of time, there is a good chance going back on will not work. I don't know why, but I do know there is a window of time to reinstate.

Why not give yourself a chance to adjust to not having zoloft and put off tapering Wellbutrin for a while.

There are alot of other members who will join in shortly.

Nikki

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome whitby.

I too have been diagnosed with dysthmia and I personally believe it. I'm 56, have been on antidepressants since 1995 and am currently on a too high dosage so my current goal is to taper down to a more reasonable level, hold and see how things go when I get there.

I applaud you for taking a more holistic approach to your health. I too am just as seriously looking into more healthy ways to deal with a persistent "low mood" as I am tapering the AD. You will find good suggestions on the Symptoms and Self help thread.

To add your signature try clicking on your name. Click on "my profile" and from that page on the upper right click "edit my profile" from there you can add your signature.

Again welcome. Someone will be along to give you more specific advice on your particular situation. Until then..welcome!!! :)

RU

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

• Administrator

Welcome, whitby98.

You may indeed be suffering withdrawal symptoms from Zoloft, particularly the hypersensitivity. This can last for a long time and complicate your withdrawal from Wellbutrin.

You might have gone off Zoloft a little too fast at the end. If you have any left, you might reinstate a small amount -- say, 25mg -- stabilize, and then taper more slowly from there.

If I were you, I might go off the Wellbutrin after I stabilized on Zoloft, and then taper the last of the Zoloft. Wellbutrin can be very stimulating, causing anxiety and sleeplessness. It's somewhat easier to go off than Zoloft.

See these topics about tapering Zoloft and Wellbutrin http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1441-tips-for-tapering-off-zoloft-sertraline/ and http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/877-tips-for-tapering-off-wellbutrin-sr-xr-xl-buproprion/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Here's the info on how to add your drug history to your signature:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

And welcome.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.