blurred off buproprion

blurred

[moved from http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/877-tips-for-tapering-off-wellbutrin-sr-xr-xl-buproprion/ ]

Any updates on the tapering results?

I've been on Voxra for little over a year, not so much for the antidepressive effect as for an experiment to relieve some pain from damaged nerves in my wrists, but the anti dep was supposed to be an appreciated "side effect". Tried Cymbalta for the same reason and it worked a whole lot better but rendered me almost apathetic.

Buproprion wasn't as effective so I quickly went to 300mg/day. Pains somewhat relieved but not really any improvement to the mood, at least not after a couple of months. After 6 months apathy started to become an issue, and I felt that I completely lost grip on my daily life. I wasn't the most well organized before but hey...

So two and a half to three months ago I decided to stop taking the med. Discussed tapering with my doctor and started out. Began replacing the 300 with 150, first two times a week then every other day, then lowered to 150/day aso until two weeks ago when I supposedly should be "clean". During the tapering a had severe headaches around the temporal lobes, migraine like. Felt detached from reality.

Now I'm a wreck. Pupils are smaller than ever, headaches on and off still feeling detached. And for me the biggest issue is; impotence.

Before I had some pains and I wasn't the happiest man around. Now I'm a disaster.

Me:

Male, 40, no other meds apart from the odd oxycontin when the pain is too much, but it is very rare.

Edited by Altostrata
moved post to start Intro topic
  • Administrator

Welcome, blurred.

Yes, people have successfully tapered off buproprion.

Although buproprion is somewhat easier to taper than other antidepressants, we do recommend tapering gradually without skipping doses.

Skipping doses, as you did, is second only to cold turkey in eliciting withdrawal symptoms.

You can go off buproprion with minimal withdrawal symptoms, such as headache, by gradually reducing the dosage.

If I were you, I'd immediately take 75mg or 100mg buproprion, stabilize on that until your withdrawal symptoms go away, and then taper more systematically.

Do you have any tablets left?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi, thanks for your reply!

I'm on voxra slow release tablets, and they only come in 150mg and 300mg, so when lowering from 150mg a day I don't see any other way than skipping? Also the wellbutrin tablets a have are slow release.

I have since four days started to take 150mg a day again to see if there is any improvement. Can't really tell yet. What's really bothering me is the sexual inability... never heard of this i relation to buproprion before.

thanks.

• Administrator

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.