Altostrata

Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

94 posts in this topic

Thank you, Clio. How long have you been off Lexapro?

Thank you everyone! I decided to do the liquid since it sounded like it was much easier from you all and started on Monday. I just dropped 1 mg and have been feeling fine. I haven't noticed anything. How long will it take to notice the drop if I am going to? How long should I stay here before dropping another 1 mg? 4 weeks seems like such a long time. BTW - The liquid tastes horrible! Any suggestions on taking it?

Just started taking liquid escitalopram. I chase it with water and then salted rice cakes. That soaks up the taste pretty well. I think saltine crackers would work, too. 

In the uk I only think it comes in 20mg/ml ...

Can i taper this with the benzos at the same time....also is the dropper accurate ....and how long will it take me to taper it ..

Tapering more than one drug at a time complicates the process a great deal. We recommend tapering only one drug at a time (usually the antidepressant first).

Please consult your pharmacist about the accuracy of your dropper. We recommend an oral syringe for greatest accuracy.

Please read further in the Tapering forum -- see Important topics in the Tapering forum and FAQ and the topics pinned at the top of the forum. Your questions have most likely been answered.

Tapering more than one drug at a time complicates the process a great deal. We recommend tapering only one drug at a time (usually the antidepressant first).

Please consult your pharmacist about the accuracy of your dropper. We recommend an oral syringe for greatest accuracy.

Please read further in the Tapering forum -- see Important topics in the Tapering forum and FAQ and the topics pinned at the top of the forum. Your questions have most likely been answered.

pharamcist is clueless... and oral syringe will not do it i would need a pippette....20mg to ml...means would have to take .01 ml

Hi Pete

I am tapering off Lexapro using the 20mg in 1ml solution. I use an insulin syringe as it contains 100 units per mil. For example 1mg of Lexapro equals 5 units on the syringe. It is difficult due to the unit markings being so tiny, I then draw up a bit of water into the syringe and then squrt it into a glass and add some juice or water before drinking it.

See if you can get an insulin syringe from the chemist.

Good luck

Jane

Jane,

I will bend your ear about this on 14th May at our first southwest UK SA meeting, as I need to get to grips with how to prep the liquid dosage.

JC x

Hi Pete

I am tapering off Lexapro using the 20mg in 1ml solution. I use an insulin syringe as it contains 100 units per mil. For example 1mg of Lexapro equals 5 units on the syringe. It is difficult due to the unit markings being so tiny, I then draw up a bit of water into the syringe and then squrt it into a glass and add some juice or water before drinking it.

See if you can get an insulin syringe from the chemist.

Good luck

Jane

I take it the dro[pper it comes with is not accurate.

Hey everyone
Doing good on my Lexapro taper using the liquid 20 mg and a 1 ml syringe.
However, I am now so low in dosage that each 10% cut needs to be less than the .01 ml intervals the syringe has.
Any tips on how to solve this? Switch to pipette, electronic scale, might I be able to get hold of a finer syringe?
I live in Denmark. 

Thanks for the answer! :) 
Since I last wrote I have been questing all over Ye Olde Internet and found out that:
such a thing as microlitre syringes actually does exist - and I've ordered one (100 microlitre with 0.2 microlitre intervals) at a very reasonable price (around five dollars) from Germany.
I've also found a microlitre pipette and will test that out. 

A microlitre is 0,001 ml. 

If that doesn't work, the next step is ordering an electronic pipette. Price is steeper, but still somewhat affordable (120 dollars). 
Also, I'm contacting Lundbeck to ask if water is indeed usable for diluting liquid Lexapro (it says alcohol for the liquid on the bottle). They were very helpful with a question about exposure to sunlight last year!

Will of course share my experience/info in here. Wondering if this is the right thread to do so? Or if another is preferable?

Hi, for the people tapering liquid Lexapro with oral syringes, do you use the bottle with the special cap and draw upside-down, or do you pour some liquid into a container and draw it up that way? Thanks!

For any amount under 1mg, I dilute my 1mg drop in 100ml water. So if I need, for example 3.35mg, I take 3 drops straight from the bottle, and for the remaining .35mg, drink 35ml of the 100 ml solution. I think this adds up...

Lise, I have never considered that lexapro can't be diluted with water. I don't see why not, but I think I'll ask a pharmacist friend now that you've raised it.

Ali, from the first post in this thread:

Do-it-yourself liquid
People report that they can make their own liquid from Lexapro tablets and water.

It is soluble in water, see http://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB01175 -- stability (shelf-life of dilution) is unknown.

Thank you for info I wish I would have found this before my dr had me start tapering by cutting 20 to 10.

Tapering absolutely did NOTHING for me personally. Been on this poison for 8 years. Just stopped COLD TURKEY 12 days ago and I'm alive! Symptoms of WD suck but better than when I tapered. Just my experience, not advice.

Hello everyone, I just created a profile here and will be writing an introduction soon. I have read this whole thread with great interest. I am trying to taper off Lexapro after 13 years on various SSRIs and have tapered with some success very slowly for almost two years from 45mg (very high dose) down to 1mg. I

now am having horrible symptoms of WD when I try to go off the one mg. I would be so helped by a smaller dose so I can drop by less than 1mg per drop. Preferably 0.1. mg.

I live in Europe and was hoping anyone knows of a compounding pharmacy in the UK or Germany, or anywhere else. I have tried the links on the page here and have not been lucky (yet).

Sorry if I am not compliant with the group's purpose and format yet, but will work on learning it all.

THANK you.

added: Karenrose Introduction topic

Edited by scallywag
add link to Karen's intro topic

With regard to Escitalopram suspensions, I am in Australia and tried to start a taper using the suspension back in May '16. 

When I rolled along to the pharmacy with my prescription, I was told that the suspension wasn't available any more. 

I ended up tapering (much faster than recommended) by taking a half tablet, then making a suspension. After my first two or three suspensions, I ran out of tablets and rolled along for a refill. Of course, I was silly and didn't pay attention to which pharmacy I was at and got a different generic brand of tablet. However, it does put me in a position to confirm that different brands must contain different "fillers" as the second set of tablets did not dissolve as well as the first. 

Fortunately, when I reached the smaller dosages, I found a compounding pharmacy and managed to get the prescription for the suspension filled.

I'd go further into my taper and withdrawals, but I sense that this is not the place for it :)