SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Motoxmom: Intro

Motoxmom

Hi there,

I'm a 17 year user of paxil and other AD's. I recently switched from Paxil to Prozac about a month ago. Not sure if this was the best thing to do but I really needed to know whether it would work. It is completely different from previous paxil tapers but I'm running into some stuff that I'm sure is withdrawl and cross taper related. I'm actually thinking about going back to the 10mg. paxil and doing a super slow taper from there.

Anyway, I'm so glad to have found this site. Very validating to say the least. I feel like I'm in good company here! People who understand where I'm at and why I might feel the way I feel.

Thanks in advance for your support and for this site!!

Blessings! ;)

Paxil since 1995  - 20 mg per day

Clonazepam since 1993 - .25 mg per day

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi motoxmom and welcome!

You've come to a very good place for support.

I'm not sure what the best advice for you would be.

What symptoms are you having? It is possible to have withdrawals from a switch, I'm sorry you're in this predicament.

Would you be able to add your history:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Thanks

• Moderator Emeritus

Could you tell us more about your switch to Prozac? How much have you been taking for the past month? What kinds of symptoms are you having that you believe may be due to either switching antidepressants or withdrawal?

More generally, why did you want to get off of Paxil? What happened with your past attempts at tapering?

Welcome to the forum, Motox mom. You'll find lots of solid information and friendly support here. (And lots of questions from the mods :).)

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Hi there,

I'm so glad I found this site. I'm not alone. There's a place for all of us trying to Survive AD's can go? Yes!

Well as my signature states, I've been on this poison for much too long. It has been the biggest struggle of my life and right now I'm thinking about going back to paxil because I feel pretty awful and keep thinking that anyday now, these side effects will go away and well, they haven't.

If I do go back to my 10mg. paxil, I will do a very slow taper. Probably more like 10% until I get to 5mg. and then 5% from then on.

Anyway, thanks for having me and thanks in advance for your help!

Laney

Hi there,

Oh my gosh, I posted my intro twice. That's what withdrawl will do to the mind. Sorry!

I have been on 20mg. prozac for about 5 weeks. Haven't taken paxil for exactly 4 weeks. Wanted to see how I'd feel going off of the paxil. Moodwise, I'm much better. I'm just more at ease and at peace, etc. I just feel normal that way but the physical stuff like a squeezing pressure in my head, plugged ears at times, itchy, burny eyes at times, fatigue, sleepiness and generally feeling like crap have got me thinking about going back to paxil and start a very slow taper.

Thanks for your help,

Laney

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Motoxmom. Jemima's questions are good ones and will help give us a better idea of your situation, you should answer each of them if you can.

Also, how fast did you taper off the Paxil this time around?

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

Could you tell us more about your switch to Prozac? How much have you been taking for the past month? What kinds of symptoms are you having that you believe may be due to either switching antidepressants or withdrawal?

More generally, why did you want to get off of Paxil? What happened with your past attempts at tapering?

Welcome to the forum, Motox mom. You'll find lots of solid information and friendly support here. (And lots of questions from the mods :).)

My switch from paxil to prozac was to take both together for a week and then drop the paxil completely. I was on 10mg. paxil and I'm on 20mg. prozac. I really didn't think it was going to work. My symptoms have been lots of head pressure, squeezing, light headed, sick feeling. Not pain but just as noticeable and uncomfortable. I went on paxil 17 years ago for head pressure, etc. I don't know if it's the same exact feelings I had before going on or something similar. Crazy.

Why did I want to get off of paxil. To see if I'd see any relief from what I call mild depression or apathy. Flat and blunted emotions.

My past attempts at tapering were obviously unsuccessful. I felt like I was being emotionally tortured. Extreme emotions. Irritability, crying jags, etc. even doing what I thought was a planned out somewhat slow taper. I tried about three times. I got to 3.5mg and threw in the towel.

Thanks for your concern and help!

• Moderator Emeritus

Your have the classic symptoms of anti-depressant withdrawal. I think your instinct to go back up to 10 mgs and do a slower taper is probably right. However, you should start with a partial dose. How long has it been since you stopped taking the Paxil? I ask because this will determine the size of the dose you should reinstate with. Also, it sounds like you quit the Paxil cold turkey after the week of Prozac, is this correct?

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

• Administrator

Welcome, Motoxmom.

Those symptoms could be withdrawal from the Paxil, or they could be because of too much Prozac. 20mg Prozac is an awfully high dosage to replace 10mg Paxil. When did the symptoms start?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

This coming Monday will be 5 weeks since my last paxil dose. The worst of the symptoms started about a week ago but they have subsided a bit since I did my intro here. Do you think I should still take like 5mg. paxil or just wait and see if it continues to be ok? Should I also just take 10mg. prozac instead of 20mg.?

Thanks again for all of your help!

By the way, here's a link to a study or something about SSRI's in our water systems:

http://www.naturalnews.com/039894_anti-depressants_tap_water_SSRIs.html

Thanks!

Laney (This is the name I wanted but it wasn't available) It's my nickname.....

and yes, I took the paxil together with the prozac for six days and then stopped the paxil completely.

• Administrator

Is there any daily pattern to your symptoms?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Well the symptoms get worse as the day progresses. By late afternoon, I'm wiped out and have the head fullness/pressure/squeezing sensations and just want to lay down.

Thanks!

• Administrator

When do you take the Prozac?

If in the morning, it sounds to me like it's an adverse reaction to too much Prozac. If I were you, I'd reduce it to 15mg, then to 10mg. Use the liquid approach in http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/759-tips-for-tapering-off-prozac-fluoxetine/

peak plasma concentrations occur after 6 to 8 hours.

Thank you for your input. I think I am going to cut the prozac down to 10mg. and go back on 5mg. paxil. Do you think I should take less than 5 mg? I could get the liquid?

I forgot to take my prozac dose yesterday and haven't taken it this a.m. and I have all of that yucky head stuff so I really think it was the sudden drop off the paxil.

Thanks again,

Laney

• Administrator

I would not make that switch. I would reduce the Prozac and see how you feel before adding in Paxil.

Please read the topic, linked above.

OK. So what about with prozac only because of it's incredibly long half life, for now taking a 20mg. capsule every other day? I know daily dosing is important but what about with prozac. Can I get away with it just to see if taking less will help me in my situations?

Otherwise, I'll have to ask the pharmacist for the extra stuff to make my own liquid prozac.

Thanks in advance,

Laney

• Moderator Emeritus

Every other day dosing is the worst thing you could do. Just cut your Prozac back to 15 mg. as Alto suggested, and if that doesn't alleviate the symptoms of taking too much, cut back to 10 mg. Regardless of the dose, TAKE IT EVERY DAY. Don't reinstate the Paxil for now.

Here's how to make liquid Prozac if it's difficult to get from the pharmacy:

How To Make a Liquid From Tablets or Capsules

Prozac can be made into a liquid with water or juice, so there's no need to get anything special except the syringes.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Thanks. Got it. One more question. What about just taking 10mg.? I can get my doctor to prescribe 10's instead of 20mg.

Thanks!

Laney

• Administrator

A jump to 10mg from 20mg might trigger worse symptoms. Control this experiment, treat your nervous system gently, make a gradual cut to ease down.

Despite its long half-life, small fluctuations in the blood level of Prozac might exacerbate any sensitivity you've developed from dropping Paxil.

Taper with your 20mg capsules for now. If 10mg seems like a better dosage, you can always ask your doctor for the prescription then.

• 6 years later...

Is this the right place to ask questions? I am already a member but haven't attempted to taper for many years and feel the need to do so now.

Is this the right place to ask questions? I am already a member but haven't attempted to taper for many years and feel the need to do so now.

• Moderator Emeritus
46 minutes ago, Motoxmom said:

Is this the right place to ask questions?

Yes, this is the right place to ask questions.

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Administrator

Hello, Motoxmom. I connected your posts to your existing Introductions topic.

What are your questions?

I actually feel like I have reached tolerance as I feel like I'm starting to go through withdrawl and I havent started tapering if that makes sense. Should I updose to like 25 or 30 mg and stabilize before tapering or should I just start the taper? I am more agitated and irritated and have a bit more anxiety. 

Thank you.

• Administrator

What are the symptoms that you attribute to withdrawal?

What drugs are you taking now, at what times of day, what dosages?

Symptoms that I attribute to withdrawl are head pressure, head fullness, just feeling crappy with no underlying illness. 

Anyway, I take my meds in the am together. 20 mg paxil and  .25 mg  (1/4) clonazepam. 

I think I've decided that I shouldn't updose - just start a slow scheduled taper.

Thank you!

Laney

• ChessieCat changed the title to Motoxmom: Intro