SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ Hello. mammaP checking in!

mammaP

MammaP, you will do great during and after your surgery. Dilaudid helped me with the pain after my surgeries.

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

• Administrator

mammaP, hang in there. I'm sure you'll do fine.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

I have a ☼  :)  Thank you Alto, I am very nervous now and think of cancelling every day. I took some bimuno prebiotic on Friday and Saturday felt really ill. Very dizzy and light headed, almost drunk and kept falling over with a raging headache, it was very strange. Then today was nauseous and light headed again but not as bad. I thought this is it, a massive wave triggered by the prebiotic and I will not be able to have the surgery but it is all fading now.  I took the child dose (3-11) but probably should have gone lower than that.   

I've been in a lot of pain and my back going into spasm, hip collapsing, knees and hands swollen and shoulders are starting to freeze. The only thing that helps the shoulders is steroid injections but have been avoiding them. After surgery I will need to use crutches and won't be able to unless shoulders are ok.   :unsure: .  I'm falling apart here !  I need this op, to help everything else and stop the painkillers so have to be brave and stop stressing about what if's. My biggest fear is my nervous system taking a battering with drugs. I've told them no psych drugs for pain or anything else, and that I want as few  drugs as possible. It's a routine op that hundreds of people go through every day, very elderly people in many cases. I've been through loads of operations but this one scares me more than any of the others just because of the drugs. This is what withdrawal does,  makes us scared of everything in a pill bottle or bubble pack! 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

when do you go for your hip replacement? I am thinking of you, and I hope all goes well and i hope they dont drug you up too much. Other than the pain in your back, hips, knees and shoulders, how are you feeling? 

-jan14 2016- off effexor!!-

wellbutrin:Jan 25/17;Start to split 100mg in half

-Feb 12/17;100-50mg -Apr 30/17;50-30mg liquid. -June 6/ 17;30-20mg -July6/17;updose to 26mg -Oct 18/17;13 to 12mg -Nov 24/17;12 to 11mg -Feb 21/18;22 to 20mg -Apr 2/18;20 to 18mg -Apr 30/18;18 to 16mg -May 22/18;16 to 14mg -June 18/18;14 to 12.4mg -July 15 /18;12.4 to 11.6mg -Nov5/18;11.2 to 10mg -Dec14/18;10 to 10.4mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Jen, I go tomorrow and my op is Friday. I am in a lot of pain today and really hope it will make the difference they are promising!

They said I had to stop my fish oil and magnesium for 2 weeks before surgery, so feeling a bit rough as they help a lot.( I have been naughty though and taken lower doses ;)  ). 

I've had 8 major ops in the last 12 years and am more scared this time than I have ever been. I've wasn't worried about the drugs before but the last time the staff were awful and pushed drugs that I can't take, they were awful and made out that I was just being awkward. I had to assert myself and tell them that if they didn't stop I would report them. The pain doctor who did the prescribing was very annoyed because it was written on the front of my notes in big red letter that I was not to be given paracetamol. They told me I had a choice of paracetamol or ibuprofen, both which I cannot tolerate, and said I COULD DIE!

It was to reduce a dangerously high temperature but didn't even try other things, just a huge noisy fan that made my neck sore with the cold draught. I agreed to the paracetamol as long as I had iv and anti emetic injections, the anti emetic pills don't work as the vomiting is so severe. They did that once then started to get nasty because they had to give the injections when it would be easier for them to give me a pill. I started to react to the anti emetic eventually and it had to stop, but they were still trying to insist on paracetamol. It was a nightmare and I should have made an official complaint. That wasn't an op it was septicaemia.

Morphine makes me very sick too, and the last op they gave me paracetamol iv along with morphine pump and said it would not affect my stomach because it was iv. They gave me tablets for the nausea from the morphine. When I came round they gave me tea and toast which was lovely, then I started to throw up but couldn't reach my call button. I was propped up a little, not laid down but not sat up either, just propped on pillows . I couldn't move and was choking, in a room on my own.  Couldn't call out and it was terrifying. Someone thankfully walked past and called a nurse just as I was blacking out. 

I told them I was sick with drugs but they didn't believe it was so bad and put it on my notes in huge red letters.......but the next time I had the awful experience I described above. 

So this time I discussed it at my pre op assessment and the nurse understood. She will be there when I arrive and will talk to the anaesthetist to make sure he knows about my sensitivities. She got it, got about not tolerating drugs and said she will tell them I need very low doses to start for everything. I liked her and trust her because she got it, but I am still scared with the drugs. I told her I didn't want any psychoactive drugs, she said they use anti depressants for pain but I told her not to use them under any circumstances, she assured me they wouldn't. I am more afraid of the drugs than the surgery or the pain! This is what they do to us, PTSD from the experiences with the poisons. 

My bag is packed, I'm ready to go, I'm standing here outside your door.........da da da  :lol: .  

My daughter is going to take care of me when I am out of hospital, I'm actually looking forward to being pampered a bit  :wub:

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Good luck mammap :) and enjoy your pampering - you sure deserve it x

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

Very very good luck, mammaP.  Thinking of you.

Started citalopram May 12, from 10 to 40 mg/d over 2 months

Wanted to come off in May 13 and did it too quickly: decrease from 40 to 0 mg/d over 2 weeks; WD from then onwards, increasing in intensity to be unbearable at 4 weeks later;  reinstated 10 mg/d for 2 days (WD severity halved); reinstated 20 mg/d (initial WD symptoms decreased but not gone entirely until after 8 weeks)

Started 5--7% taper: Aug 13: 19 mg/d, mild WD on day 3; thereafter none notable; Nov 13: 18 mg/d, no WD; Dec 13: 17 mg/day, no WD for 3 weeks, then (at Christmas) tearfulness; Jan 14: 16.7 mg/d, Apr 14: 15.7 mg/d, Jun 14: 14.5 mg/d; Jul 14: 13.5 mg/d (6.9% reduction), Aug 14: 12.5 mg/d (7.4% reduction)

Sharing experience makes a difference

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you Mary, we will have to catch up when I'm back on my feet  :)

2002  effexor. 

Hello dearest mamma!!

You are a brave corageous woman...!

You will be just fine, better than before :)

You are my hero.

Sending all the good vibes to you!

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

Good luck mammaP, I'll be thinking of you all day.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

Will be thinking about you! I hope everything goes smoothly with the operation and recovery. So glad you have your daughter to look after you.

-1/06 - 3/07 Cymbalta. Fast taper (essentially CT); withdrawal symptoms after 4 mos (didn't realize was WD)

-10/07: 100 mg Zoloft; 1 mg Klonopin - tapered off Klonopin after 4 mos. Several unsuccessful slow tapers of Zoloft; went up and down in dose a lot

-Spring 2013 back on 1 mg Klonopin to counter WD symptoms; switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to 35 mg citalopram
-Two attempts at slow tapering citalopram, always increased dose due to WD; also increased Klonopin to 1.25 mg in 2014, then to 1.5 mg in 2015

-8/17-9/17: After holding one year at 20 mg, feeling withdrawal symptoms due to stress - slowly increased to 25 mg. No change in symptoms after 6 months (? tolerance ?)  - decided to start citalopram taper February 2018 (still on Klonopin 1.5 mg).

Supplements: fish oil; magnesium; vitamin D3; curcumin

Citalopram taper:  2/2018 - 12/2019: 25 mg - 11.03 mg I 2020: 10.89 mg - 7.9 mg I 2021: 7.8 mg - 5.26 mg I 2022: 5.2 mg - 3.36 mg I 2023: 3.3 mg - 1.47 mg 2024: 1/5/24: 1.44 mg; 1/19/24: 1.40 mg; 1/26/24: 1.37 mg; 2/2/24: 1.34 mg; 2/9/24: 1.31 mg; 2/23/24: 1.28 mg; 3/1/24: 1.25 mg; 3/8/24: 1.22 mg; 3/15/24: 1.19 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

I have had the op and felt fine, sedation but not general. The doc offered pethidine on top of

Tramadol if the pain is too bad. I just put them in drugs.com........

Interactions between your selected drugs

meperidine ↔ tramadol

Applies to: meperidine, tramadol

Ask your doctor before using meperidine and traMADol together. Using these medications together can increase your risk of seizures, breathing problems, and other side effects. If your doctor prescribes these medications together, you may need a dose adjustment or special tests to safely take both medications. Tell your doctor if you have weak or shallow breathing, tremors, restlessness, seizures, or problems with speech, balance, or walking. Avoid driving until you know how the medications will affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including

vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

HOW DARE THEY??????

MY daughter was googling with me and at last can see why I go on about drugs.

thanks to the internet and people like Alto we can look out for ourselves!

2002  effexor. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hugs MammaP, glad to hear the operation is over and you're doing okay so far, keep us posted.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Wishing you a good recovery :)

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

I am glad it is over now and you made out ok.  Glad too that your daughter is with you and seeing what you see. Wishing you a fast recovery and peace Mamma

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

I only have a second, I'm I am late in wishing you an easy and successful operation. Good news is you made it. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope that you are doing well in recovery.

Current:

Lorazapam2mg: 4/9/152mg - 1.5mg: already sick/nothing noticed. No changes in sleep noted after illness.  

Lamictal: 7/27/13 - 8/6/13: 400mg - 500mg(dr order) mouth sores, headache, cognitive/balance, heart palp...8/7/13 - 8/23/13: 500mg - 400mg; symptoms↓...10/10/13: 350mg; fever/flu-like <2-weeks...12/30/13: 325mg; fever/flu-like symptoms <1-week...2/10/17: 300mg; no significant changes noted. 

Discontinued:

Omeprazole: 09/2103 40mg...5/1/14: 20mg... 8/21/14 = 0

Wellbutrin: 11/22/13: 300mg – 225mg...12/6/13 delayed reaction- mood swings, weight↓, heart palp/chest pain, alerting...12/14/13: 187mg; physical symptoms↓, neuro emotions ↑, weight stable...12/20/13: 225mg; physical symptoms return, emotions stable <1-week, weight↓...4/21/14: 187mg; weight↑...5/17/14 (neurologist ordered discontinue asap):168mg; headache, mood swings, ↑weight, sleep flux...5/24/14: 150mg; headache, mood swings, ↓cognitive/balance...6/2/14: 112mg; see above, weight stable, <3-weeks... 6/28/14: 100mg; moody...7/25/14: 87.5mg; family troubles... 8/4/14: 75mg; headaches; moody... 8/9/1450mg headaches... 8/12/14: 37.5mg; 8/17/14: 25mg...8/26/14 = 0

Hydroxyzine; 10mg: 5/20/15 *prn 4/5 times then dc'd. Mood changes/rage 

Buspirone: 7.5mg: 5/20/15 *prn 4/5 times then dc'd. No changes.

Pleased to see your op. went well mamma.

2008 - Doctors appointment with stress induced anxiety led to Citalopram prescription.

Severe adverse reaction

Mirtazapine prescribed - adverse reaction but told to stay on.

Poop out - December 2013

15mg

Currently on 13.5mg,

April 12mg

May 10th - 11mg

June 10th - 10mg

July 8th - 9mg

September - 0mg

Pleased to see your op. went well mamma.

Mamma posted her surgery went well Muddles I was just checking to see if she had an update.  nothing yet 

Hoping no news is good new Mamma thinking of you 

peace

Had a car accident in 85
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

Fly-by with hugs and healing prayers to you.

Current:

Lorazapam2mg: 4/9/152mg - 1.5mg: already sick/nothing noticed. No changes in sleep noted after illness.  

Lamictal: 7/27/13 - 8/6/13: 400mg - 500mg(dr order) mouth sores, headache, cognitive/balance, heart palp...8/7/13 - 8/23/13: 500mg - 400mg; symptoms↓...10/10/13: 350mg; fever/flu-like <2-weeks...12/30/13: 325mg; fever/flu-like symptoms <1-week...2/10/17: 300mg; no significant changes noted. 

Discontinued:

Wellbutrin: 11/22/13: 300mg – 225mg...12/6/13 delayed reaction- mood swings, weight↓, heart palp/chest pain, alerting...12/14/13: 187mg; physical symptoms↓, neuro emotions ↑, weight stable...12/20/13: 225mg; physical symptoms return, emotions stable <1-week, weight↓...4/21/14: 187mg; weight↑...5/17/14 (neurologist ordered discontinue asap):168mg; headache, mood swings, ↑weight, sleep flux...5/24/14: 150mg; headache, mood swings, ↓cognitive/balance...6/2/14: 112mg; see above, weight stable, <3-weeks... 6/28/14: 100mg; moody...7/25/14: 87.5mg; family troubles... 8/4/14: 75mg; headaches; moody... 8/9/1450mg headaches... 8/12/14: 37.5mg; 8/17/14: 25mg...8/26/14 = 0

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello everyone, quick update. I'm struggling right now but recovering, I'm not up to posting much but wanted to let you all know I am still alive but not quite kicking  ;) .   Having a problem with pain relief and not getting any pain free time. Can't sleep because there is no way to lie comfortably and sitting is just as bad. I'm sure it will be worth it when everything has healed, the surgeon did exactly what he promised and levelled my legs so I'm not lop sided which is great!   I'll be back when I'm up to posting more and can concentrate. Thank you for all the hugs and wishes from my cyberfriends  :wub:

2002  effexor. 

Take good care of yourself, mammap x

• Moderator Emeritus

I haven't posted but I've been following.

Great news that the surgeon did as promised! Yay! I am sorry you have such discomfort and pain though. Be kind to yourself and please post about your progress and healing.

(((((((((((Sending you healing vibes))))))))))))

1988-2012: Prozac @ 60mg (with a few stops and starts)

Fall 2012: Returned to 40mg after discontinuing and horrid withdrawal 

Fall 2013: 40mg Fluoxetine, added 150mg Wellbutrin to treat fatigue 

Winter 2014: Attempting to taper both (too fast)

April 2014: 9mg Fluoxetine + 37.5 Wellbutrin 

Summer 2014: 8 mg Fluoxetine + 0 Wellbutrin (way too fast a drop)

Late summer/Early Fall 2014: Debilitating Withdrawal symptoms 

Fall 2014 - Wellbutrin successfully kicked to the curb but…

Oct- Dec 2014: Panicked reinstatement of Fluoxetine ->30mg - held for 5yrs

Jan 2021: taper to 20mg Fluoxetine  then tapering by 1mg every 2-3 months

Fall 2022 - held at 10mg->December 2022: 9mg->Feb 2023: 8mg ->March 2023: brassmonkey slide begins: 7.8mg -> 7.6 -> 7.4->2 week hold (April)->7.2->7mg->6.8->2 week hold->6.6-> 1-month hold ->(June)-6.5->4-week hold-> (July)-6.4 (discontinued brassmonkey slide and slowed taper)-> (Aug)-6.2->(Sept)-6.0->(Oct)-5.9->(Nov)-5.8->(Dec)-5.7->wave!->(Jan)-5.8->(Feb)-6mg and holding.

My 2014 withdrawal experience: https://rxisk.org/antidepressant-withdrawal-a-prozac-story/

wishing you a speedy recovery MammaP-gladit all went well :)

went on Prozac 1994-99,60mg.poopout ct  back on 2001-2002,prozac weekly 2002,not working,Effexor 75 mg.?2003-mar.2004 gaining weight 8wk. taper,wellbutrin 150 mg.mar. -may 2004 ctmedfree til july 2005 back to Prozac gaining weight again,back on wellbutrin jan.2006150-300 mg.bad constipation.also was taking aygestin(hormone)perimenopausal irregular bleeding.back on Prozac around sept,?2006,hysterectomy jan30.2007(adenomyosis)off&on Prozac til 2009,citalopram about 1 mo, April 2010 no effect,Effexor again may -mar, 2011.ct,Prozac aug,-dec, 2011 &sept-nov 2012,paroxetine oct,23 2013-may 4 2014 20 mgs.tapered 6 wks.-failed RI in Oct.2014-in protracted WD.started 10 mgs. Fluoxetine May 25 2021 .Stopped fluoxetine May 2022 at 5 mgs.

• Moderator Emeritus

Wishing you fast healing. Thanks for letting us know you are upright

Dalsaan xxx

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Thanks for the update Mamma I was checking to see if you were back :) hope everything improves quickly for you especially the sleep so important to healing not to mention a great escape from hurting. 

peace to you

Had a car accident in 85

Thinking of you mamma. Hope you're doing ok.

The only way out is through.

Aug 2013 - Augmentin leading to akathisia

Sept-Nov 2013 - Citalopram 20mg, severe reaction, off at 5mg. Valium 4mg, prn

Oct 2013 - 5 zopiclone tablets, 7.5mg

End Nov 2013-end Feb 2014, Seroquel, top dose 150mg, off at 25mg

End Nov 2013-early march 2014, Zoloft 100mg top dose, off at 25mg

End Dec-2013-early April 2014, lorazepam 1mg prn

April 3rd 2014 zoloft 5mg for a few days. 18/4/14 - zoloft, 1mg. Came off at 0.35 mg,14th June 2014

29 June 2014 - 1mg lorazepam, last ever

29 June 2014 - med free

And wishes of fast healing from me too. I have admired your strength since I came on this forum. 

Put on trazadone for 8 weeks. Psychic akathisia started on 100 mg. Not a single doctor believed me telling me it is all anxiety in my head. Terrible suicidal urges. Got voluntary hospitalised. Acknoledged adverse reaction, put me off cold turkey. Instalated mirtazapine to block the reaction of trazadone. 5 weeks on mirtazapine.acathisia worsened, suicidal, homicidal urges. Nobody believed. Finally they stopped mirtazapine cold turkey. My heighest dose of trazadone was 200 mg, of mirtazapine 30 mg. Since the c/t, suicidal, acathisia continuing.

tried promethazine for sleep. Tried atarax. Currently taking klonopin for 10 days. Good for sleep, but my condition worsening. Unable to tell if it is klonopin or a bad wave.

In the former hospital i took twice gabapentin. It should be all my medication.

i was offered promethazin for sleep 25 mg and also small amount of quetiapine. Both are antipsychotics, even if ptomethszin very weak. Terribly afraid.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you everyone, still recovering but getting there. I thought it was time for a proper update if I can sit still long enough! The hospital were great, especially the nursing staff, doctors write scripts, nurses deal with the fall out from them!  I didn't have a g/a but had an epidural and nerve block with sedation. I woke up bright and breezy, no hangover and no pain, except in my shoulders where I had been laid funny.  When all the feeling started to come back and the pain kicked in it was really bad. The doctors and nursing staff understood my sensitivities but were at a loss what to give me. I reacted badly to the pethidine that I eventually had, and there wasn't anything else they could prescribe. They have told me to ask my gp for a referral to a pain specialist and will be writing to her to recommend it.

Now I have a dilemma with the tramadol.  I've been taking it for so many years now it is going to need tapering as it is an SNRI and in the same class as effexor.

Since he op I can't tolerate it and in more pain after taking it then before! Inever blamed it for my muscle spasms but now I realise it is that which is causing a lot of the pain I am taking it for! I believe it is also responsible for my insomnia!  I have to see my GP for a med review soon, and she will have the letter from the hospital saying that it is ineffective and I need specialist input. She is not going to prescribe it for me, and I don't know what to say except that I know I need to taper after such a long time, but it's only ever been 2 a day so has never been constant in my blood so she may think it will be ok. I have googled and people have had an awful time getting off it sometimes, but others no problem, just like ADs. It is a painkiller and I don't want to be listed as having a painkiller addiction because that will mean future scripts will be micro managed. We all know SNRIs are not like opiate addictions, I don't crave tramadol and wouldn't take it just because it makes me feel good , it just makes me feel bad, even more now than ever! 

Now the bit I never thought I would say.................I AM DONE WITH EFFEXOR!   :P . I had been on 1 bead for a few months and for a few weeks before surgery was taking smaller and smaller beads. Sometimes they had no drug in them and it was all coating, any drug would have been neglegible they were so tiny.  Yet still I would get some withdrawal symptoms occasionally, and always thought this was it, the wave that would never end! 

I took my beads to the hospital with me in their little pot with a pair of tweezers, but I had decided before I went that I was going to make this my cut off point. I figured that the trauma of surgery and the drugs involved would maybe confuse my nervous system enough for it to not miss that one tiny bead. And it seems to have worked! It is almost 2 weeks since the last and no withdrawal whatsoever.......no zaps, my eyes don't 'whoosh' in my head, not dizzy, no brain fog! 

There's stuff to do with the surgery and pain, and my gut is complaining because I am at my daughters and they are vegetarian, but nothing that I would class as withdrawal YET!  I have to move now, or my body will seize up, and a little boy is demanding a cuddle.  :)

2002  effexor. 

Yay!! Well done.

What a journey you've been on..my your ad nightmare be finally over :) x

'Now the bit I never thought I would say.................I AM DONE WITH EFFEXOR!    :P ."

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bring on the band..  :D 

Congratulations Mamma!

Had a car accident in 85

Wow wow wow!!! Brilliant news about the Effexor -- good call!

I am really sorry you are still in so much pain and I hope that goes too, or at least improves as your body heals after the op.

Enjoy your time with your family :)

Started citalopram May 12, from 10 to 40 mg/d over 2 months

Wanted to come off in May 13 and did it too quickly: decrease from 40 to 0 mg/d over 2 weeks; WD from then onwards, increasing in intensity to be unbearable at 4 weeks later;  reinstated 10 mg/d for 2 days (WD severity halved); reinstated 20 mg/d (initial WD symptoms decreased but not gone entirely until after 8 weeks)

Started 5--7% taper: Aug 13: 19 mg/d, mild WD on day 3; thereafter none notable; Nov 13: 18 mg/d, no WD; Dec 13: 17 mg/day, no WD for 3 weeks, then (at Christmas) tearfulness; Jan 14: 16.7 mg/d, Apr 14: 15.7 mg/d, Jun 14: 14.5 mg/d; Jul 14: 13.5 mg/d (6.9% reduction), Aug 14: 12.5 mg/d (7.4% reduction)

Sharing experience makes a difference

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats Mamma, you have conquered effexor! I hope the withdrawal has not kicked in, and you are better than ever. You deserve it and I am very happy for you. 

-jan14 2016- off effexor!!-

wellbutrin:Jan 25/17;Start to split 100mg in half

-Feb 12/17;100-50mg -Apr 30/17;50-30mg liquid. -June 6/ 17;30-20mg -July6/17;updose to 26mg -Oct 18/17;13 to 12mg -Nov 24/17;12 to 11mg -Feb 21/18;22 to 20mg -Apr 2/18;20 to 18mg -Apr 30/18;18 to 16mg -May 22/18;16 to 14mg -June 18/18;14 to 12.4mg -July 15 /18;12.4 to 11.6mg -Nov5/18;11.2 to 10mg -Dec14/18;10 to 10.4mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Yay yay yay you're off the Effexor at last! I know it took longer than you wanted, but I think crawling off at the end the way you did is why you're doing so well with it, so good for you!

I'm so sorry about all the pain you're having, though, and the issues with tramadol now and having to taper off of it. You might be able to taper it faster than the ADs, who knows, I would as usual suggest caution at first until you know how your body is going to respond. I'm so sorry to hear it's making your pain worse, and that you have to deal with that all the time. I know chronic pain is just exhausting and makes everything in life harder to deal with. You're always so kind and sweet and upbeat here, I don't know how you do it.

Hugs to you MammaP and congratulations again, yay, you beat the Effexor!

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Administrator

Congratulations about getting off Effexor finally! Was there ever a more cautious taper? I don't think so.

Since the tramadol is causing such problems, you might be able to initially reduce it by a larger amount, say 25%. Your body is saying it doesn't want it. See how that goes, then I would plan for tapering at a lower dose.

Sending healing thoughts your way, dear mammaP.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I am so happy to read this. Yay!!!! I'm doing a happy dance for you right now (insert music here).

Love and prayers to you that your pain decreases with every passing day. 

Current:

Discontinued: