Dale: New Here.

Dale

Hi,I never joined a forum like this before. Im hoping to get more info on my tapering off Zoloft. Ive been on the drug for 8yrs. Ive tried tapering once but I think I mistakend withdrawal symptoms for a relapse and went back on it. Ive been doing lots of research on zoloft and my brain is boggled on the options. Crush this, liquid that, don't do this, do that. My question is how do I do a ten percent taper?

I cant afford a compound pharmacy and definitly not liquid.

Dale

I've been on 100 mg of Zoloft for 8 years since 05. I started on 50 mg and the doctor bumped me up cause it wasn't working I guess. Six months into taking it I asked if I could get off. He said to wait a year then try. So, after a year I tapered in 25 mg increments and took 12.5 for my final taper dose, and really was doing fine until I finished. I got dizzy bad and got sad and the doctor said I had a relapse and to get back on it. So not knowing to gradually get back on I took 100 mg.

That sent me for a weird loop. I almost lost complete hope but finally stabled out. I guess that's my short version of my story.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Dale.

This would be a good place to start:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1441-tips-for-tapering-off-zoloft-sertraline/

If you're not able to do the liquid then you might want to consider getting an inexpensive milligram scale to weigh your doses.

For more informed help you might try outlining your drug history in your signature.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

Ok thanks Narcissis.

I've been on 100 mg of Zoloft for 8 years since 05. I started on 50 mg and the doctor bumped me up cause it wasn't working I guess. Six months into taking it I asked if I could get off. He said to wait a year then try. So, after a year I tapered in 25 mg increments and took 12.5 for my final taper dose, and really was doing fine until I finished. I got dizzy bad and got sad and the doctor said I had a relapse and to get back on it. So not knowing to gradually get back on I took 100 mg.

That sent me for a weird loop. I almost lost complete hope but finally stabled out. I guess that's my short version of my story.

• Moderator Emeritus

Withdrawal symptoms are often mistaken for a relapse, even by doctors. Could you tell us how you "tapered" before? And please do put your drug history in your signature, like so:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

The more accurate the information we have on your drug history, the better the advice we can give you.

Here are instructions for making liquid Zoloft:

How to Make a Liquid from Tablets or Capsules

Welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of solid information and gentle, friendly support here.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Thank you Jemima.

I'm liking that liquid idea. It seems a little confusing to me. Maybe I need to read it a few times. If i'm reading correctly, I can only make 3 days of liquid at a time from water. Thanks for your input.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forums Dale, Zoloft was my original drug, yes if you can make a liquid and use that to taper it makes for accurate and easier tapering.

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

http://prozacwithdrawal.blogspot.com/
Original drug was sertraline/Zoloft, switched to Prozac in 2007.
Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

I called a local pharmacy that compounds and he said that I wont have to compound it and that my doctor would just tell me to cut it in half. I said ok thanks and hung up. I got aggravated and figured I need to get it approved from my doctor first anyway, which is what the pharmacy said anyway.

I don't know what the doctor will say but in the past, most doctors I have dealt with were bull headed.

I called the pharmacy back cause I forgot to ask if my insurance covered it and he said probally not cause you can break it up it halves. He said I would have to ask my insurance company and if my doctor would approve it. He said again that I should just be able to break it down in halves and that they have tapered people like that with no problems.

I told him that I did that and it didnt work out and he said I should be alright.LOL. Its not his fault he or most doctors dont understand. Im scared im gonna mess something up making it into liquid.

• Administrator

If a doctor prescribes a compounded liquid, it most likely is covered by insurance. Phone your insurance company to check.

It's really easy to make a liquid yourself, if you have the right containers and oral syringes. You can get them from the compounding pharmacy.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

This is what I am thinking.Could I buy a digital scale and weigh one pill. Get that weight and then subtract what 10 percent off that would be.

Shave it till I get it to what it would be with the 10 percent weight.

I have 100mg per pill so of course I would need 90mg but I know that the weight of the pill would have different numbers.

Just a thought. :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Dale,

you could do it that way.

But a much easier way in my opinion would be to crush the entire pill, dissolve it in water and then use an oral syringe to extract the portion you don't want - then drink the rest.

You could dilute the pill in 100ml water then drink only 90 ml of the solution - or dilute it in 50 ml and drink only 45ml.

I think that would be more accurate (and certainly more so once you get down to the really small numbers) but then that's just the way I'm used to doing it.

Swings and roundabouts:)

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

Thanks Basildev

I will maybe end up doing the liquid. I just gotta get a little more confidence in the approach. It's new to me so thinking about all the math boggles my mushy brain.

• Moderator Emeritus

Agree with Basildev, shaving and weighing pills gets to be a bit of a chore, think a liquid preparation might be easier but at the end of the day (sorry about the cliché) it's up to you.

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

Thanks Strawberry

It was just a thought. Ill most likely end up doing liquid since that's what most think is best. I would love to find somebody on here that's tapering from 100 mg of Zoloft to follow them and compare strategies.

I'm game for any insight or opinions.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Dale, there is a search button in the top right, perhaps do a search for Zoloft under Introductions and see who comes up, there might well be someone else here on the same path who would be happy to compare notes, although we do all respond in different ways it's still good to find others following the same path isn't it?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Dale,

it's really easy to make a liquid.

I use a pill crusher first, then just add water.

If you're not sure about the maths just post here and we'll help you out:)

February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

Thanks Basildev and Strawberry17 for the replies. I will keep my journey updated and I appreciate the encouragement. :)

Today was a crapper.

I called my doctors office and the nurse returned my call asking why am I getting off my meds. Mind you this is a different nurse than who Ive been communicating with. She asked me that after I told her I wanted a liquid version so I could taper slower than I did in the past.

Well she started getting horsey because my regular nurse had called me in 25mgs and 100mgs to help with a taper, that I didnt start because I found this site with better info. She said the doctor knows how to taper people because he is a psychiatris. I told her I didnt say he couldnnt. Its just that I need to do it slower than whats recommended by the Pharmaceuticals.

I asked her if she new what withdrawals were and she said shes a nurse and she knows. So Im thinking whats the stinking problem then.lol.

She said Im gonna have to talk to the doctor and void any refills first. I said thats what I wanted in the first place. I also told her Im not abusing my meds and I could bring anythin precribed to show so. She can only talk to the doctor on tuesdays since hes only available that day. This is a mental clinic which Im gonna research other avenues after that conversation I think.

<_<

• Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like you've got a bit of an ego battle going on there. A kind of 'how dare you question us, WE'RE medical professionals!!' thing.

I don't know how it works where you are but here is Aus you can get a prescription for meds from a regular doctor (General Practitioner). I don't even bother talking to my doctor about tapering. I just get the script (20 mg) and then make the liquid myself. So that way I can avoid having to jump through hoops.

Perhaps it's best not to discuss tapering with your nurses, or like you say, find a place that does support you with your wishes?

Yeah thats how they made me feel. The thing is that I know my individual needs this time around and that nurse didn't seem to care about that.

• Moderator Emeritus

Doctors and nurses believe they know best.

You may need to resign yourself to the possibility that if you want to taper, you may have to do so without the support of your health practitioners.

There are very few doctors who understand withdrawal.

I totally agree. Most are just ignorant to what most go through. Which in turn makes it hard for them to empathize without having the experience. So all there left with is possibly some symphathy for the patient. Not every doctor though. There are great doctors out there. Not that I want either. I just want them to listen and help achieve my health.:)

• Moderator Emeritus

Unfortunately, all too often people who want to do a 10% or slower type taper have to just do it on their own and not tell their doctors. It's pitiful, really.

Although what's ideal is to work with a supportive doctor, since it's practically impossible to find one who is well-informed, you may just have to keep refilling your meds and not tell them that you're tapering.

I highly recommend the book Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker; I think it will help you understand how things have gotten this way, with doctors and nurses actually knowing less about these drugs and how to taper them than fellow consumers (read: victims) like you and me.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

I'll check that book out. I'm reading "the antidepressant Solution" right now. I'm gonna search online for some good meaureing syringes and the bottles to draw the doses from. I'm kinda new to that so if anyone has what the best measuring devices are then I would appreciate it. I just don't understand how the syringes connect to bottles. Also I read that you have to take the liquid from the middle of the solution. I don't grasp how I would do that without some kind of extension or something.

• Administrator

Read this topic Using an oral syringe and other tapering techniques -- everything you wanted to know about oral syringes.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Read this topic Using an oral syringe and other tapering techniques -- everything you wanted to know about oral syringes.

Sorry if I'm being redundant on this topic.

I read everything on the syringe. I don't understand how to do this with the syringe and bottle. "Use an oral syringe to take the dosage you wish from the middle of the liquid not from the top -- there will be less drug there" I just didn't see anything that showed me the syringe going into the bottle. Again sorry if I'm not making any sense. I'm just a little nervous and want to get it right this time. Thanks :)

• Administrator

If you mix your liquid in a contain such as a small jar, you stick the syringe in and take it from the middle of the liquid.

If you're going to use a bottle, which is too deep to stick an oral syringe in, you have 2 choices:

1) From the pharmacy, get a special cap for the bottle that has a hole in it. The syringe fits in this hole. You tip the bottle upside down to draw from it. Instructions are in Using an oral syringe and other tapering techniques

2) Pour your liquid into a smaller container with a wide mouth, into which you may stick your syringe.

Summed up here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/235-using-an-oral-syringe-and-other-tapering-techniques/page__view__findpost__p__50942

Oh now I get it. :) Sorry for not seeing that part.

• Administrator

I just revised it, for you and others with the same question.

So far Iv'e been reading "The Antidepressant Solution" and taking some Fish Oil by Now brand. I'm about half way through the book. I notice his recommendations on taper are on quick side but he's also probally in close contact with his patients unlike some doctors might be. After all the info I've read on here, if I were to do his taper under his care then I would probally still take it slow, slow at the end. I'm not done reading it so it may learn something else.

The more I think back to my last taper that went unsuccessful, I think I did fine until I was off it and thats when the pain came. So at this point i'm trying to get some fish oil in me before tapering which should start next week.

• Administrator

Exactly. As you can see by the way he's written his book, Dr. Glenmullen rightly emphasizes monitoring for symptoms.