If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

After Reinstating or Updosing, How Long To Stabilize?

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 John

John

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:33 PM

Now that its been 19 months since my cold turkey from Effexor, Im about 85% recovered. As you know im now tapering slowly off of Effexor from when I reinstated in my 3rd month of the cold turkey. How is it that im recovering from the first withdrawal while im still on the medication the second time and tapering?

#2 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,980 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:10 AM

The autonomic dysregulation caused by the first withdrawal was only partly corrected by medication. Going back on medication does not guarantee that withdrawal damage will be "fixed."
This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

#3 Barbarannamated

Barbarannamated

Platinum star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,179 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:19 AM

John, I read your post several times and it's not computing (I'm not fully awake yet). If I'm reading correctly, you CT'd Effexor, then reinstated and are tapering now. How have you determined that you are 85% recovered from CT ? Excuse me if you've discussed this already.
Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

#4 John

John

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:07 AM

Well, of course the 85 percent isn't exact. I'm just estimating it on how I feel. Compared to 19 months ago, I feel much much better. There are days and weeks that go by without the horrifying anxiety that I had constantly when this all began, and even when it does flare up, its not nearly as severe as it was.

#5 Barbarannamated

Barbarannamated

Platinum star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:00 AM

Sorry, John. I think I understand. I had not heard of anyone differentiating stages of w/d from same drug as you did. Interesting.
Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

#6 John

John

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:04 AM

Have you heard of people going through this with a different drug?

#7 Barbarannamated

Barbarannamated

Platinum star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:08 AM

I haven't been on other boards, but have read of a few here who are tapering an SS/NRI and benzo or anticonvulsant, for example, and can differentiate the w/d symptoms and patterns.

#8 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,980 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:58 AM

I believe your nervous system has been going through a gradual healing process, John, perhaps helped a bit by the reinstatement of Effexor.
This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

#9 basildev

basildev

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:05 PM

Hi Everybody, I'm interested in hearing your experiences with this topic. Has anybody noticed their symptoms getting worse BEFORE they improve after an updose? Mine seem to have progressively worsened over a 2 week period. What is the average time it takes for you to feel better after you updose? At what point do you say 'the (highest) updose hasn't worked, where do I go from here'? Any insight and your experience is greatly appreciated thanks

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

#10 Rhiannon

Rhiannon

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 3,783 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest US

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:23 AM

Basil, this isn't something that's happened to me personally, because I haven't had to do a large updose on my taper (only small corrections so far, fortunately). But I have seen it happen to other people. It's especially common with benzos. The problem seems to be that once your CNS is screwed up and destabilized by the drugs and the withdrawal attempt/s, it doesn't necessarily react predictably and smoothly to a reinstatement or updose. Updosing and reinstatement can be a bit of a crapshoot in that way. By far the best thing to do, if you can, especially if you've already had a "crash and burn" in your history somewhere, is to taper so slowly and incrementally that you don't have to do a large updose. Someone with more experience with ADs will be along here to advise you what to do now. I just wanted to let you know that your experience is not uncommon.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease" as I was told. Long and tragic story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything.

Now tapering, ironically (but not surprisingly) healthier and more functional than I ever was during the years on the "meds," even with withdrawal (usually fairly mild at this slow pace).

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 14 2011:   86 mg Neurontin   144 Lamictal,    5.5 Celexa   0.42 Xanax      1.9 mg Valium

Feb 16 2012:   10 mg Neurontin   115 Lamictal     3.7 Celexa   0.285 Xanax     2.0 Valium

Feb 22 2013:   86 Lamictal    2.05 Celexa       0.23 Xanax      1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

Now:                43                    0.625                 0.0775            1.3

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

#11 strawberry17

strawberry17

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • LocationSuffolk U.K

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:01 AM

I think Rhi's answer pretty much nailed it. I've been at this game for years now, and had a range of experiences reinstating/updosing, in the past I've been able to reinstate to full dose after months out from a cold turkey withdrawal and recover fairly quickly, but I understand that's pretty unusual. In the past 5 years I've been tapering excrutiatingly slowly, the drops have been so tiny and such a long time between that I've been tricking my nervous system. However I fell foul before Christmas, too big a drop near the end, and had to updose a bit, and if I'm honest I'm still not entirely right. As Rhi said everything is a crap shoot really when it comes to reinstating or updosing, you just never know how long it's going to take. I'm sorry if that isn't what you want to hear. Really the best thing you can do is an excrutiatingly slow taper when you do feel better. I've been 5 years tapering, but I personally know someone else in their 7th year.

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

http://prozacwithdrawal.blogspot.com/

Original drug was sertraline/Zoloft, switched to Prozac in 2007.

Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. Been on the antidepressant merry go round since November 1998.

#12 basildev

basildev

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:28 PM

Hey thanks Rhi and Strawb. Actually it's exactly what I wanted the hear Strawberry. Just like you in the past I've been able to reinstate the full dose from zero and recovered within a matter of days. This time it's far more challenging and I was worried that if I wasn't right in a few weeks I'd never be right. Became paranoid that even though in the past reinstatement has worked fine, this time my luck's run out and I'm doomed to feel this way forever. Also I think lack of sleep is giving me symptoms that otherwise would have fallen by the wayside. Thank you both for sharing your knowledge and experience.

February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

#13 tezza

tezza

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:06 PM

Basil, I CTd Risperdal from .5 to zero for two weeks in September '11. I reinstated .5 October 1, '11. By the end of October, I slept for two nights and thought it was ok to taper some off the tablet at that time. I know now that I should have waited longer before tapering. I have no clue how much I was trimming off the tablet. In December I trimmed some more off, again I was guessing the amount. I found this site and ordered a scale, I was taking approximately .375 mg. Alto told me to insist on the liquid from my doctor, I finally got it in Jan. '12 and was able to accurately measure out my .375 dose. I stayed on that dose until March 22, at which time I reduced to .35. I was in real bad shape from the time I CTd until a few days after I made that reduction to .35. Then, I started getting better, FINALLY! I was one sick puppy for all those months but when I started getting better it gradually got progressively better from then on. I still feel some fleeting moments, almost like flashbacks, of mild depression. The anxiety has improved tremendously. Sleep isn't perfect but usually tolerable. Muscle twitches are only occasional now. Tinnitus is 90% better. I have micro-tapered at a slow rate. Usually, when someone micro-tapers, they cut every few days. I hold two or three weeks between tapers but I'm multi-tapering. I want to add that my original dose of Risperdal was 1mg, so .5 was only half the original dose. Risperdal is a VERY POWERFUL drug! My point is: I was very sick for a LONG time and, thank God, I'm so much better now. I hope this gives you hope and encouragement. You will stabilize, I'm sure of it. It will take longer than you'd hope for, I'm sure, but you must believe that it WILL happen. Just try to be as patient as you can and try really hard not to stress over 'not getting better immediately'. Sometimes it just takes longer, especially when a lot of changes have been made. Note that I held for three months at .375mg. That was to allow my nervous system time to adjust to all the previous changes I'd made too close together. I'm now down to .19mg which may not seem like much but it's actually almost 1/5 of the original dose. I'm looking to be tapering off that for at least another year, maybe longer. Don't give up hope....you will get better, just give yourself some time to stabilize. Hugs and love, Tezza
http://survivinganti...dal-withdrawal/

Seroquel and Mirtazipine

#14 basildev

basildev

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:29 PM

Wow! So it took you 6 months to stabilize! That must have been tough Tezza. I feel so much better after hearing these stories because I thought if I didn't get better within 4 weeks (which seemed to be the average expected time for reinatatement/updosing to kick in) it was all over for me. Now I see that it's different for everyone and I can relax a bit. I don't mind waiting, as long as it's worth it in the end - and let's face it, what other choice do I have??? I sure aint goin for a different med. This one's bad enough. It does pose another question in my mind, though; I have often read and re-read the statement 'sometimes reinstatement/updosing doesn't work'. (while panicking that of course, I am one of the unlucky for for which updosing won't work) Maybe some of these people didn't give it enough time to work? Maybe if they, like you, stuck it out for as long as 6 months it would have eventually allowed them to stabilize? Just a thought. Hugs and love right back atcha:)

#15 strawberry17

strawberry17

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • LocationSuffolk U.K

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:31 PM

I'm glad you're ok with what we've posted Basildev, because I was having a bad yesterday and I worried that what I had written might not make you feel better about your situation.

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. Been on the antidepressant merry go round since November 1998.

#16 tezza

tezza

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:12 AM

Basil, I truly believe that you will get better, too! After 6 months, I still had some bad waves for a while but there were more (and longer) windows than waves. It happened so gradually that I can't pinpoint exactly when the greatest difference took place. I'm glad you can relax and rest easier now. It just takes time but your brain is trying to repair itself even now. It will happen, maybe it won't take as long as it did for me. My mother went cold-turkey off so many medicines over several years and although it took months after reinstating, she always eventually stabilized. I wish so badly that I knew what all she left off and was started back on. I do know she had at least two FULL shoe boxes of partially filled bottles that she had left off. She was usually on only one or two medicines at the time.
http://survivinganti...dal-withdrawal/

Seroquel and Mirtazipine

#17 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,980 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:33 AM

If you've been tapering, then updose too much, the increased antidepressant may be activating. Overstimulation is a common side effect of antidepressants. One of the symptoms is sleeplessness. As you taper, your nervous system may adjust to the lower level of the drug. Then, if you jump up in dose, it reacts as though you're taking a higher dose than you've ever tolerated before.

#18 basildev

basildev

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:29 PM

Okay so I've dropped down to 19mg, on day 3 of the new dose. Got about half an hour extra sleep and no hot flushes yesterday, one small hot just at 3AM this morning - so a slight improvement). How long do you think I should hold on that dose before dropping again, Alto? (PS: This thread probably should be merged into my intro topic - not sure)

#19 basildev

basildev

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:31 PM

Strawb, sorry you're struggling too. Last night before I went to sleep I said to myself 'may I sleep well tonight, and may Strawberry sleep well tonight too':) At the end of the day I need to hear the truth from people so I can make an informed decision. You spoke the truth and I'm grateful for that xx

#20 basildev

basildev

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

Thanks Tezza. It's just hard to know what dose to finally settle on.

#21 strawberry17

strawberry17

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • LocationSuffolk U.K

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:38 PM

Thanks Basildev that's lovley :) Sadly I didn't and feel pretty rubbish again.

#22 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,980 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:03 AM

It takes 3-4 days for a dosage change to reach steady-state in your bloodstream. You may not feel the entire effect until then. This is a good topic for others to see, too, basildev. Your experience could be a good example (I hope) of fine-tuning dosage when updosing.

#23 basildev

basildev

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

Yes I agree Alto, I searched high and low for a thread like this until I started it myself. Today is day 4 of drop to 19 mg and sleep is no better. But hot flushes have gone away. I really don't have any other withdrawal symptoms except poor sleep. I think I'll wait maybe a few more days.

#24 Hope1

Hope1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:52 AM

i am concerned about my local mental health group want now to "help" with my withdrawl. i feel the "standard" withdrawl amounts & timescales are too high & too fast for me. how do you guys manage this situation & health workers who won't listen?

#25 strawberry17

strawberry17

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • LocationSuffolk U.K

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:59 AM

Hope1 I would make sure you have someone with you, like your husband or a close friend to help fight your corner, write down your thoughts and feelings in bullet points as it's so easy to forget things and get bamboozled by "professionals", maybe print some information out from here to back up your arguments. Remember it's your body and your mind and you want to be in control of what happens to you, you know yourself better than anyone.

#26 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,980 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

You can listen to what they have to say and calmly tell them you'll take it into consideration and make your own decisions given what you know about withdrawal. You do not have to let them bully you into whatever. Open the dialog, you may need them at some time.

#27 SaltedGingkoNuts

SaltedGingkoNuts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:09 PM

After 4 years of Prozac, I quit Cold Turkey. I didn't know about withdrawals at all. After three months off, after enduring major withdrawal symptoms, I reinstated. As I level off on Prozac again, I am wondering how long should I let my body adjust before I can begin a proper TAPER schedule? Any advice would be appreciated. -Tim
10 mg daily Fluoxetine/Prozac Jan. 2009-Nov. 2012
Went COLD TURKEY Nov. 2012-March 2013
.05-1 mg daily Lorazepam March 2013-April 2013
After approximately 21 days, stopped COLD TURKEY
Doctor put me on 20 mg daily Fluoxetine/Prozac as of 4/25/13
I decided to jump down to 10 mg daily Fluoxetine/Prozac as of 5/08/13
Will stay here for a few months, then taper to ZERO!!

I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience and research and is only my perspective

#28 basildev

basildev

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:20 PM

Hi Tim, Are you having any symptoms at the moment? It doesn't seem to be that long since you have reinstated. If I were you I would wait until all of the current symptoms have subsided before even beginning to think about tapering.

#29 Jemima

Jemima

Platinum star

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:37 PM

There is no set time for adjusting after reinstatement. Everything about antidepressant withdrawal is unique to the individual, their physiology, their history of drug use, and numerous other factors. Once withdrawal symptoms have been mostly relieved by reinstatement, I would guess that at least a month should pass before considering tapering, but the most important thing is to listen to one's body and act accordingly. If bothersome withdrawal symptoms remain after a month of stabilization it may be necessary to updose a bit and try again rather than start tapering down. I wish that there were easy answers that fit everybody, but the whole field of antidepressant "discontinuation" syndrome (a term preferred by the medical establishment which claims that antidepressants are not addictive) is in its infancy and much is still to be learned.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivinganti...oducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivinganti...r-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

#30 SaltedGingkoNuts

SaltedGingkoNuts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:02 PM

Actually I'm only on my eighth day of Prozac reinstatement, so it hasn't been that long. Felt like *#!@ until today, and even then only about a 7 out of 10. The thing that has me bummed is that this "reinstatement" is actaully a higher dose (doctor recommended) than I took for years (was on 10mg daily, now at 20mg daily). So, I know I'm getting my body 'used' to 20mg now. So it'll take LONGER to taper, but right now, I don't care HOW LONG IT TAKES!!!! Thanks for the replies, my new friends. -Tim

I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience and research and is only my perspective

#31 basildev

basildev

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:16 PM

Tim, the higher dose of Prozac might indeed take your body longer to get used to. Don't be in a hurry to taper just yet. Listen to your body and take it slowly.

#32 Rhiannon

Rhiannon

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 3,783 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:18 PM

I'm confused, did you also stop the lorazepam cold turkey recently? If so I highly recommend reinstating and once you're stable doing a reasonable taper on that. Benzo withdrawal is NOT a good thing.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease" as I was told. Long and tragic story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything.

Now tapering, ironically (but not surprisingly) healthier and more functional than I ever was during the years on the "meds," even with withdrawal (usually fairly mild at this slow pace).

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 14 2011:   86 mg Neurontin   144 Lamictal,    5.5 Celexa   0.42 Xanax      1.9 mg Valium

Feb 16 2012:   10 mg Neurontin   115 Lamictal     3.7 Celexa   0.285 Xanax     2.0 Valium

Now:                43                    0.625                 0.0775            1.3

#33 SaltedGingkoNuts

SaltedGingkoNuts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:30 AM

I'm confused, did you also stop the lorazepam cold turkey recently? If so I highly recommend reinstating and once you're stable doing a reasonable taper on that. Benzo withdrawal is NOT a good thing.

Actually I did also quit the benzos Cold Turkey. (I didn't know I wasn't supposed to either)! I think I'm actally ok regarding those though because I only took them for about 21 days. Today is Day 19 off of them. Let me attach the whole story.

I'm so grateful for this forum!

-Tim

Attached Files

#34 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,980 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:34 AM

You need to let your nervous system stabilize after reinstating. How long this might take depends on how long you've been off the drug and other factors. If you were off only a couple of days, you might stabilize for a month before trying to taper. If you've been off longer, to be safe, you should give your nervous system longer to stabilize, even if symptoms go away right away. If you've been off months, it might take months before you stabilize. Do not attempt to taper again until you feel symptom-free. (Cold turkey off another psych drug simultaneously compounds the situation.)

#35 SaltedGingkoNuts

SaltedGingkoNuts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:43 PM

You need to let your nervous system stabilize after reinstating. How long this might take depends on how long you've been off the drug and other factors.

If you were off only a couple of days, you might stabilize for a month before trying to taper. If you've been off longer, to be safe, you should give your nervous system longer to stabilize, even if symptoms go away right away.

If you've been off months, it might take months before you stabilize.

Do not attempt to taper again until you feel symptom-free.

(Cold turkey off another psych drug simultaneously compounds the situation.)

Yes, that's what I hope to do. I'm in no hurry and will take how ever long is best. Thanks for the advisement. Grateful!

-Tim

#36 Rhiannon

Rhiannon

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 3,783 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:01 AM

Actually I did also quit the benzos Cold Turkey. (I didn't know I wasn't supposed to either)! I think I'm actally ok regarding those though because I only took them for about 21 days. Today is Day 19 off of them. Let me attach the whole story.

I'm so grateful for this forum!

-Tim

21 days only? good. It's probably contributing to your symptoms now but hopefully will balance out quickly.