SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

How long does it take to stabilize after reinstating or updosing?

John

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Tezza.

It's just hard to know what dose to finally settle on.

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Basildev that's lovley :)

Sadly I didn't and feel pretty rubbish again.

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

http://prozacwithdrawal.blogspot.com/
Original drug was sertraline/Zoloft, switched to Prozac in 2007.
Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

• Administrator

It takes 3-4 days for a dosage change to reach steady-state in your bloodstream. You may not feel the entire effect until then.

This is a good topic for others to see, too, basildev. Your experience could be a good example (I hope) of fine-tuning dosage when updosing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes I agree Alto,

I searched high and low for a thread like this until I started it myself.

Today is day 4 of drop to 19 mg and sleep is no better. But hot flushes have gone away.

I really don't have any other withdrawal symptoms except poor sleep. I think I'll wait maybe a few more days.

February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

• 4 weeks later...

And what are the chances that someone like me, who had two AD 'S dropped within 15 days, and has been, and is completely in distress, totally unstable, and debilitated after almost 3 months?

What are chances that I can stabilize in this century?

Thank you for any input ..

Hello,
I am tapering Lorazepam, and my daily dose is 1.125 mgs.

I followed a long hold for 5 months, ( Nov-March 2019) hoping to find some stability, 

but it did not work. So I resumed my taper and hold pattern.
For the last 3 years, I have been using a daily microtaper, cutting .001mgs per day, with holds as needed.
Symptoms are head pressure, labored breathing, palpitations, abrupt surges of dizziness, this being my worst symptom for now, internal tremors, my latest nemesis, unsteadiness, anxiety, plus many other symptoms that cycle in, and cycle out consistently. Not a day passes, without grief :(

I take no other meds.

January 2013 - 15 day quick taper off 10 mgs of Lexapro, and 25 mgs of Sertraline,

at a detox clinic.

• Administrator

People heal at different rates. In 6 months, you might find you're much better.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...

i am concerned about my local mental health group want now to "help" with my withdrawl. i feel the "standard" withdrawl amounts & timescales are too high & too fast for me.

how do you guys manage this situation & health workers who won't listen?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hope1 I would make sure you have someone with you, like your husband or a close friend to help fight your corner, write down your thoughts and feelings in bullet points as it's so easy to forget things and get bamboozled by "professionals", maybe print some information out from here to back up your arguments. Remember it's your body and your mind and you want to be in control of what happens to you, you know yourself better than anyone.

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

• Administrator

You can listen to what they have to say and calmly tell them you'll take it into consideration and make your own decisions given what you know about withdrawal. You do not have to let them bully you into whatever.

Open the dialog, you may need them at some time.

• 2 weeks later...

After 4 years of Prozac, I quit Cold Turkey. I didn't know about withdrawals at all. After three months off, after enduring major withdrawal symptoms, I reinstated. As I level off on Prozac again, I am wondering how long should I let my body adjust before I can begin a proper TAPER schedule?

Any advice would be appreciated.

-Tim

10 mg daily Fluoxetine/Prozac Jan. 2009-Nov. 2012

Went COLD TURKEY Nov. 2012-March 2013

.05-1 mg daily Lorazepam March 2013-April 2013

After approximately 21 days, stopped COLD TURKEY

Doctor put me on 20 mg daily Fluoxetine/Prozac as of 4/25/13

I decided to jump down to 10 mg daily Fluoxetine/Prozac as of 5/08/13

Will stay here for a few months, then taper to ZERO!!

I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience and research and is only my perspective

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Tim,

Are you having any symptoms at the moment?

It doesn't seem to be that long since you have reinstated.

If I were you I would wait until all of the current symptoms have subsided before even beginning to think about tapering.

• Moderator Emeritus

There is no set time for adjusting after reinstatement. Everything about antidepressant withdrawal is unique to the individual, their physiology, their history of drug use, and numerous other factors. Once withdrawal symptoms have been mostly relieved by reinstatement, I would guess that at least a month should pass before considering tapering, but the most important thing is to listen to one's body and act accordingly. If bothersome withdrawal symptoms remain after a month of stabilization it may be necessary to updose a bit and try again rather than start tapering down.

I wish that there were easy answers that fit everybody, but the whole field of antidepressant "discontinuation" syndrome (a term preferred by the medical establishment which claims that antidepressants are not addictive) is in its infancy and much is still to be learned.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Actually I'm only on my eighth day of Prozac reinstatement, so it hasn't been that long. Felt like *#!@ until today, and even then only about a 7 out of 10. The thing that has me bummed is that this "reinstatement" is actaully a higher dose (doctor recommended) than I took for years (was on 10mg daily, now at 20mg daily). So, I know I'm getting my body 'used' to 20mg now. So it'll take LONGER to taper, but right now, I don't care HOW LONG IT TAKES!!!!

Thanks for the replies, my new friends.

-Tim

I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience and research and is only my perspective

• Moderator Emeritus

Tim,

the higher dose of Prozac might indeed take your body longer to get used to.

Don't be in a hurry to taper just yet.

Listen to your body and take it slowly.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm confused, did you also stop the lorazepam cold turkey recently? If so I highly recommend reinstating and once you're stable doing a reasonable taper on that. Benzo withdrawal is NOT a good thing.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

I'm confused, did you also stop the lorazepam cold turkey recently? If so I highly recommend reinstating and once you're stable doing a reasonable taper on that. Benzo withdrawal is NOT a good thing.

Actually I did also quit the benzos Cold Turkey. (I didn't know I wasn't supposed to either)! I think I'm actally ok regarding those though because I only took them for about 21 days. Today is Day 19 off of them. Let me attach the whole story.

I'm so grateful for this forum!

-Tim

AntiDepressant Nightmare Complete Edited.pdf

• Administrator

You need to let your nervous system stabilize after reinstating. How long this might take depends on how long you've been off the drug and other factors.

If you were off only a couple of days, you might stabilize for a month before trying to taper. If you've been off longer, to be safe, you should give your nervous system longer to stabilize, even if symptoms go away right away.

If you've been off months, it might take months before you stabilize.

Do not attempt to taper again until you feel symptom-free.

(Cold turkey off another psych drug simultaneously compounds the situation.)

You need to let your nervous system stabilize after reinstating. How long this might take depends on how long you've been off the drug and other factors.

If you were off only a couple of days, you might stabilize for a month before trying to taper. If you've been off longer, to be safe, you should give your nervous system longer to stabilize, even if symptoms go away right away.

Do not attempt to taper again until you feel symptom-free.

(Cold turkey off another psych drug simultaneously compounds the situation.)

Yes, that's what I hope to do. I'm in no hurry and will take how ever long is best. Thanks for the advisement. Grateful!

-Tim

• Moderator Emeritus

Actually I did also quit the benzos Cold Turkey. (I didn't know I wasn't supposed to either)! I think I'm actally ok regarding those though because I only took them for about 21 days. Today is Day 19 off of them. Let me attach the whole story.

I'm so grateful for this forum!

-Tim

21 days only? good. It's probably contributing to your symptoms now but hopefully will balance out quickly.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

That's definitely my hope.

-Tim

• Administrator

Salted, I moved your latest long post, which was more of a journal entry, to your Intro topic http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4226-saltedginkgonuts-benzo-and-ssri-withdrawal/

• Moderator Emeritus

Yeah

I'm still experiencing fluctuating sleep after 2 months (since updosing). I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever get better. It's comforting to know that others here have take longer than the seemingly 'average' 4-6 weeks to completely stabilize.

(Not that I want to take any pleasure whatsoever in other people's discomfort!)

I wish I could believe my sleep is going to get back to normal. Everything else has(:

I'd love to hear from anybody who has experienced complete (symptom free) stabilization after updosing/reinstating, but had to wait a much longer than average time for this to happen(EG: months instead of weeks).

Anybody out there?

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm interested in this as well Basildev, I'm in a similar boat and wondering if I'll ever get back to normal.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever get better. It's comforting to know that others here have take longer than the seemingly 'average' 4-6 weeks to completely stabilize...I'd love to hear from anybody who has experienced complete (symptom free) stabilization after updosing/reinstating, but had to wait a much longer than average time for this to happen(EG: months instead of weeks).Anybody out there?

After a severe CT in 2009 it took me about six months to get to feeling stable again. I've seen this in dozens of people, here on this forum and elsewhere.  It's not at all uncommon, especially after a CT or a series of ups and downs in dosage or a series of changes of meds, to take many months to stabilize; sometimes a year or more.

Seems like everyone does get better eventually, though. I know there must be rare exceptions, but from what I've seen they're extremely rare.

Anyway, months instead of weeks is a common variation.

It does require more patience but it's not a sign of a bad outcome. Many people have gone through spells like this, stabilized, and then gone on to do slow tapers quite successfully. 

• Moderator Emeritus

That's very comforting to know, Rhi.

For my part it's definitely months.

I'm learning to just take it as it comes now.

it seems that it is going to be months for me too... it has been 3 months since re-instating, but i still have not stabilized yet, lthough I am feeling better now...

have been on various antidepressants (many SSRIs, SNRI, MAOIs) for chronic fatigue syndrome for more than 17 years, was on zoloft 100mg for the last 2-3 years, tapered over 2.5 months, ending october 24 2012.
reinstating AD:
march 28: started on 25mg co-sertraline, took it for 2 days
april 1: 12.5mg ONLY FOR ONE DAY- STOPPED taking meds
april 9: started on 2.5mg co-sertraline
april 17: increased to 5 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

That's very comforting to know, Rhi.

For my part it's definitely months.

I'm learning to just take it as it comes now.

With your history I would expect it to take a while. You've gone up and down a number of times now rather traumatically, it sounds like, if I'm reading your sig line right. Like Alto says, our nervous system (not to mention endocrine) isn't made of rubber. I know I used up all my slack a long time ago.

If and when you decide to taper again I think you'd probably do better with smaller cuts and longer holds--especially the long holds. Plan on taking at least a couple of years.

• Moderator Emeritus

With your history I would expect it to take a while. You've gone up and down a number of times now rather traumatically, it sounds like, if I'm reading your sig line right. Like Alto says, our nervous system (not to mention endocrine) isn't made of rubber. I know I used up all my slack a long time ago.

You're right Rhi,

In fact my last taper was too fast. In hindsight I was actually cutting by 25% and that's why I got into trouble. I was feeling fine so was cutting faster, then it all caught up with me. Then I added the whole Valium debacle into the mix and I'm now trying to stabilise from that mistake!

it seems that it is going to be months for me too... it has been 3 months since re-instating, but i still have not stabilized yet, lthough I am feeling better now...

Abir, I have been following your story and you've made huge progress since your first post here. Often others can see our progress more clearly than we can:). I believe you will fully recover.

Edited by Petu
fixed text

Abir, I have been following your story and you've made huge progress since your first post here. Often others can see our progress more clearly than we can:). I believe you will fully recover.

I hope so, and I hope the same for everyone on this site...

have been on various antidepressants (many SSRIs, SNRI, MAOIs) for chronic fatigue syndrome for more than 17 years, was on zoloft 100mg for the last 2-3 years, tapered over 2.5 months, ending october 24 2012.
reinstating AD:
march 28: started on 25mg co-sertraline, took it for 2 days
april 1: 12.5mg ONLY FOR ONE DAY- STOPPED taking meds
april 9: started on 2.5mg co-sertraline
april 17: increased to 5 mg

What if a person reinstates and is having bad side effects? In my case I reinstated Prozac at 5mg and have been in it for a month and a half. I am getting severe burning and sensitivity in the palms of my hands, feet, forearms, neck, and face. I can't be completely sure it's the Prozac since I was on a low dose of Remeron with it. But if I need to get off again am I now stuck with enduring this hell through a slow taper?

Started on Zoloft in 2002
Switched to Lexapro in 2005
Switched to Prozac in 2008
Off Prozac abruptly in 2010 (a mistake) - crashed
Lexapro end of 2010 - didn't work
Effexor until 2012 - roller coaster from hell
Back to Prozac November 2012 - one last rise and fall
Quit Prozac 01/13

Reinstated Prozac 5mg 05/13
Trial of 7.5 Remeron for one month 06/13, then off

Off Lamictal 06/13

Quit benzos 06/13

Reduced to 4mg Prozac 8/15/13

• Administrator

When you reduce dosage, side effects usually decrease. You might try reducing the Prozac slightly to see if it's causing your symptoms.

It could be Prozac is reacting with another drug you're taking. Use the interactions checker at http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html to see if this is possible.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'm learning this the hard way - and with only a small dosage of Prozac too. After reinstatement it's been a relatively comfortable number of weeks - thinking I've completely stabilized. Then, WHAMMO! a miserable week. So dizzy right now, it's hard to type. . . 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hang in there Salted. Many of us have taken months as opposed to weeks to stabilize.

Thank-you basildev.

After feeling 'normal' for awhile, it's just hard to go backwards a bit.

Of course, I'll do my best to hang in there. Besides, what are our options? = to keep on!!

-Salted

Salted: I am new here and just read your full story. Omigosh!! While I am not glad that anyone else has suffered from w/d, I am relieved to be in good company. Sounds like our histories are similar in some respects, having been prescribed Prozac and a benzo; learning what these drugs actually were; and then trying to get off. I am your age and also have an incredible spouse and, like your wife, am wrestling with menopause and unwanted side effects from long-term Prozac use (which I chalked up to aging and family-of-origin issues). Am also very interested, when I return to work after a hiatus, in using my writing/editing skills for Type II diabetes info/education!

I am on way to beach tomorrow for a family vacation where there will be huge amounts of junk food and alcohol among our beloved twenty-somethings. Am resolving to walk every morning and look up some good mocktail recipes for evening treats. It's not easy with all these temptations, is it? :P

Current:

*Abt 1995, started fluoxetine 20 mg/day, later raised to 40 mg; *Abt 1997, started Klonopin ? mg/day

*Abt [??] started first, very slow Klon taper

*Sept 2016, Klon updosed; swapped fluox for duloxetine/lamotrigine/Seroquel (very small dose of last, for sleep) cocktail

*Early 2018, stopped Seroquel; *2020, started second Klon taper

*Abt July 2022, accidental 33% Klon cut, w/no updose; have been holding for 15 mos

*Mar 2023, abrupt lamotrigine cut from 75- to 50 mg/day; *May-June 2023, abrupt dulox cut from 90 mg- to 60 mg/day

*As of June 2023, taking lamotrigine 50 mg/day, duloxetine 60 mg/day, Klonopin .25 mg/day, metoprolol 50 mg/day, Eliquis 5 mg/day, levothyroxine 75 mcg/day

"Forget to remember; remember to forget."

Hi All,

This is my first post.  I've been consistently on ADs in various combinations for 20 years.  I got got off everything about five years ago in a difficult taper and stayed off for about three month untill the stress and super- rapid cycling got the best of me and I started back on ending up at 300mg Wellbutrin XR, 300mg Lamictal and 900mg Neurontin.  I have functioned, at least holding down a responsible job, taking care of a disabled parent, who died six months ago and a disabled sibling.  But my personal life isn't good. All my relationships are tainted by my anxiety. Any, six weeks ago I started to taper the Lamictal, 50mgs a week and it went smoothly, but when I got to zero, after a few days I started to feel really bad, fuzzy headed, anxious (sorry I can't better describe it).  At that point I called my psychiatrist who said to go back up on the Lamictal,  I immediately took 50mg and in a hour a so I felt okay. (that's my contribution to the topic)  Now I've started to go down on the Neurontin, 800mg as of three days and it's tolerable.  I'm seeing the doc tomorrow to strategize on how best to continuing to taper.  I guess I don't really have any questions as I've read about the ideas of super slow tapering and doing the ADs first, (of course I'm ignoring them by doing a fast Lamictal taper and moving on to the Neurontin instead of the Wellbutrin).  Patience isn't my strong suit.  I'm happy to have found this site.

1996 -- 2007 a lot of different AD meds

9/1/2007-1/1/2008 taper

1/1/2008-4/1/2008  Med free

Starting 4/1/2008 worked back up to: 300 Lamictal, 300 Welbutrin XL, 900 Neurontin,

6/1/13:  250 Lamictal, 300 Welbutrin XL, 900 Neurontin

6/8/13: 200 Lamictal, 300 Welbutrin XL, 900 Neurontin

6/15/13: 150 Lamictal, 300 Welbutrin XL, 900 Neurontin

6/22/13: 100 Lamictal, 300 Welbutrin XL, 900 Neurontin

6/29/13: 50 Lamictal, 300 Welbutrin XL, 900 Neurontin

7/6/13: 0 Lamictal, 300 Welbutrin XL, 900 Neurontin

7/9/13: 50 Lamictal, 300 Welbutrin XL, 900 Neurontin

7/16/13: 50 Lamictal, 300 Welbutrin XL, 800 Neurontin

7/23/13: 50 Lamictal, 300 Welbutrin XL, 700 Neurontin

7/30/13: 50 Lamictal, 300 Welbutrin XL, 600 Neurontin

8/3/13: 50 Lamictal, 150 Welbutrin XL, 600 Neurontin

8/10/13: 50 Lamictal, 0 Welbutrin XL, 500 Neurontin