angie Finding Non-Drug Pusher Doctor So Difficult

angie

My son is fighting the fight of his life withdrawing from antidepressants. After being on Zoloft for 6 years, with diminishing effectiveness, his doctor spent the next 3 years trying everything, including Effexor which was a nightmare. Always the same result, moderate effectiveness for a while, then nothing. After 3 years, my son decided to wean. He has spent several months tapering and is now off everything, but he is in a hell like nothing I have ever seen. He is overcome with crippling anxiety, is terrified of doing anything, has lost significant weight from not eating, and is barely hanging on to a job which he needs to support his wife and two young beautiful children. He is fighting so hard: meditation, yoga, breathing, some exercise, but the fears are literally crippling him. The worst part is, though we live in a medically renowned area (Boston), he cannot find any doctor who understands the brain damaging effects of SSRIs and will support hie efforts to stay off. They all want to just get him back on drugs. Please, does anyone know any doctor/therapist in this area who gets it? We looked up and wrote to someone named Glenmullen, twice, and called several times, but he never responded. I would greatly appreciate any referrals you can provide. Thank you so much.

Judy Tsafrir is not specifically a w/d expert but she is not a drug pusher and is very knowledgable about the interaction between nutrition and psychic well being. She is on the list of recommended physicians and clinics here at Surviving Antidepressants and her office is in Boston, i think.

http://www.judytsafrirmd.com/about-judy-tsafrir-md/

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Thank you. I looked at her web page, and she sounds like the kind of doctor my son is looking for. I will send him her name. Again, many thanks. And I should check out that list you referred to. Where exactly is it?

Angie,

It sounds like your son is having classic withdrawal symptoms. A moderator will be checking in and can advise on possible strategies to alleviate the symptoms. It will help them to have as much info about your son's drug and withdrawal history, particularly how long it's been since his last dose.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

I'm sorry you haven't heard back from Dr. Glenmullen. He is very respected and knowledgeable about antidepressant withdrawal. Here is a list of other possible resources:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/988-recommended-doctors-therapists-or-clinics/

I'm glad you found this group. Altostrata, the administrator, has integrated the best research and real world experience available.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

• Administrator

Welcome, angie.

What drugs did your son taper? What were the last dosages, and when did he come off each?

It sounds like he has withdrawal symptoms.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Judy Tsafrir is not specifically a w/d expert but she is not a drug pusher and is very knowledgable about the interaction between nutrition and psychic well being. She is on the list of recommended physicians and clinics here at Surviving Antidepressants and her office is in Boston, i think.

You could try a naturopath? Might not be the best fit for w/d- but they have extensive knowledge on nutrients and well-being that a lot of doctors seem to disregard.

2004-2007 Zoloft for depression
2008 - 150mg effexor for anxiety
2011 - attempt to get off effexor from 150-75-37.5 . overwhelmed. effexor ends up being upped to 250
2012 - effexor 150 - 75 - no symptoms. BPD diagnosis
March 2013 - start of wean from 75mg. 5 beads a day
April 24 - end of wean but hit withdrawal at 20 beads left
May 26 2013 - reinstated 37.5mg and stabilized.

Feb 02 2014 - plan: 1 mg/week wean. but this time going slooow

• Administrator

Unfortunately, naturopaths are seldom knowledgeable about drug tapering.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.