Rosebud36 Not Doing So Good...

Rosebud36

4 months off of effexor (slow taper) and Diazepam (no taper) and I feel like I just cant do this withdrawal hell anymore. 8 years down the meds line (been given lots of ADs to try - non particulary successfully) for severe GAD. I am under no-ones professional help despite many attempts over years to get someone to give a sh*t. No one does and my life feels too much. I used to feel ok, what the hell went wrong? I am 36, socially afraid, unable to meet anyone to have a relationship with, Im very lonely, a single mum (to a wonderful boy who deserves better), now Im unemployed (unable to face work anymore) and completely and utterly gutted that this is my life. I feel so alone and so frightened that whatever path I am on is the wrong one and will lead me further into this anxiety nightmare and I have noone professionally trained to guide me otherwise.

I have the will to help myself and am constantly trying to stay strong and positive but I honestly feel like giving up now. I have lost sight of the goal. the light. Im so tired of feeling so awful and 'different' to my peers. I dont know what to do to save myself for the sake of my son and for me.

Noone deserves this and I am sorry that any of you have to feel the way I do. Just looking for some understanding right now xx thanks everyone and stay strong.

Rosebud x

Rosebud36

36yr old mum from UK. 8 years on anti-depressants. I tapered off of 225mg of Venlafaxine over 4 months, suffering withdrawal at each drop. 3 months ago I stopped it entirely, along with Diazepam. I am still going through disruptive physical withdrawal, severe depression and anxiety daily, although both types of symptoms seem to change all the time for no reason. I have no professional support or encouragement and it wont let me enjoy life. Having said that, I do have more good days breaking through where the anxiety steps back a little and I feel myself enjoying the sunshine. I do feel desperately afraid that 'this is it'. I keep fighting on. God bless you all & thank you, just for listening x

Rosebud.....

We all know what it feels like to be in the place of despair that you are in.  I am calling it despair.  The chemical reaction from getting off these drugs causes such an emotional impact.  From your signature I see that your taper was fast and CT with Diazepam.

I have never taken Effexor.  Is it possible to reinstate at a small dose?  I know the others will be along shortly to give you some advise on a possible reinstatment.

I can't stand seeing people suffer like this.  It's heartbeaking.  If you need too, you can chat with me via a PM for a shoulder to rest your head on.  Marmite is helping me uncover what's beneath my issues.  Your issue is WD and it is a chemical issue which is bringing on all the sadness.

Hugs

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Thanks Nikki ((hug)) your message means a great deal to me. I appreciate your support and that you said it was withdrawal still as its hard to hold onto that when you are getting further away from when you first stopped taking the drugs. It is heartbreaking to read other peoplpes stories and we know how much courage this takes.

I have been told that its likely that any reinstatement of meds would be ineffective or poss worsen things as its been so long since I took them out of my system. If that wasnt the case I would reinstate it. To be honest at this point I would take anything if I thought it would help.

Need to try and stay positive but feel like I have used up even my emergency reserves. Im all out.

Thanks again, very much x

Rosebud x

Rosebud36

36yr old mum from UK. 8 years on anti-depressants. I tapered off of 225mg of Venlafaxine over 4 months, suffering withdrawal at each drop. 3 months ago I stopped it entirely, along with Diazepam. I am still going through disruptive physical withdrawal, severe depression and anxiety daily, although both types of symptoms seem to change all the time for no reason. I have no professional support or encouragement and it wont let me enjoy life. Having said that, I do have more good days breaking through where the anxiety steps back a little and I feel myself enjoying the sunshine. I do feel desperately afraid that 'this is it'. I keep fighting on. God bless you all & thank you, just for listening x

My heart goes out to you. I have been there and can totally relate.

Please hold on. Time will pass and things won't always seem so black. 

You have found a great resource here, so post when you need to.

I too am a mom which adds a layer of difficulty to all of this. 

Reinstatement is always a risk. But you are far enough out where you just gotta hang in there.

Started Fluoxetine Jan. 2010

Tried to go off of it in Sept. 2010

Weaned too fast and was back on it by Nov. 2010

Didn't work as good the second time around.

Started to wean again in Nov. 2011 and was off for good by April? 2012

Hello and welcome to the forum. I hope you find support and guidance here to get you through your despair.

I am so sorry you are experiencing the suffering you are. I too can relate. I have often felt utterly alone and stuck in a mess, searching for the right help. I'm currently withdrawing from Effexor so I know the misery it causes. Know that you are not alone.

Tapering Zoloft, Dec 2014

Started Lamictal

Re-started Zoloft mid-Oct 2014, 25-50mg

Stopped Zoloft end of Sept 2014

Started Zoloft July 2014, 50mg

Stopped Prozac from 3mg May 2014

Stopped Effexor Dec '13 Started 10mg Prozac

Reinstated Effexor 15mg on Nov 2013

Stopped from 21mg on Oct 2013
Effexor 112.5mg, since Dec 2012

Rosebud I have read that three months out may narrow the window for reinstatment to be effective but can still work as it may not be that far out.  This is what I have read, not experienced.

If you do try you may not be any worse off.  Please run this by some of the others who have taken Effexor.

No one knows for sure what how your body will react.

The site is being updated and there are some gliches right now, soooo just hold on for someone with more experience.

Hugs

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Hey Rosebud, I was on Effexor and probably got off too fast.  At the time I thought I was going slow, but that was before I saw all this info. about withdrawl and SSRI discontinuation syndrome.  Did you ever get hot flashes, or feel so hot you were burning up when you were getting off of it??  It also gave me bad restless leg syndrome if I missed a dose while I was on it.  I had some other issues while tapering, but nothing too bad, and felt pretty good once I was off completely. Then after doing ok for about 2 months it got horrible, I tried to last it out for about a month, not really knowing what was going on, then I gave into my doc and went on 20mg of generic Prozac.  At the time I thought it was just me needing to be on these stupid drugs, then I found this website and more info. about how bad these drugs can mess up our bodies, minds and souls.  I think the side effects from the crappy generic Prozac is giving me more problems then I had before I started them, but I am trying to wait it out.  I feel the worst first thing in the morning with bad anxiety, hollow stomach, can't hardly eat a bite, then as the day wears on, I feel better late afternoon evening, but still feel anxious and fragile.  Sleep was really bad, so my doc wanted me to try Trazodone.  It's not really helping for sleep, but does seem to take the edge off the anxiety during the day. I started at 25mg and was supose to up to 50mg the whole pill, but I am not going to go any higher.  So far it is getting me through the day, so its good enough.  I know doctors suck for helping us with all of this, so sometimes I talk to the pharmacist and ask them for advice and tell them my symptoms, then ask the doctor if she will let me try something.  Is anxiety the worst part for you right now?  I get small pockets of depression, but it comes and gos never lasting more than an hour or so. I try and walk outside every day for at least 30 minutes and that helps burn some anxiety off.  I try and leave my brain at home when on the walks to get the most relief, bcuz I have a bad habit of thinking things too much instead of just relaxing and enjoying the exercise.  If only we had switches on our brains, so we could TURN OFF to get some real peace. I know that each minute, hour of every day is forever when feeling so bad, but we have to keep holding on, finding any tiniest thing to keep us to trudge on. Please hang in there, we are all in this together,

Sept-1990 started my first AD Zoloft never got higher dose than 50mg

Dec-1990 Quit Zoloft  =Nov-1995 Back on Zoloft for Post-partum depression/anxiety

early-1998 Quit Prozac to get pregnant   =Feb-1999 Back on Prozac 20mg

10-1999 Prozac 30mg  =12-1999 Prozac 20mg

7-2001 switch to Wellbutrin SR 100mg

8-2001 increase Wellbutrin SR 150mg

10-2001 adding back Prozac 20mg

5-2003 tapered off Prozac  =7-2003 back on Prozac 20mg

8-2003 Add in Imipramine 25mg then to 50mg    (given Xanax for bad panic episodes

9-2003 Imipramine 75 mg then to 100mg

1-2004 switch to Lexapro 10mg

8-2004 Lexapro 20mg, Imipramine 75mg

4-2006 Adding Wellbutrin 150mg then to 200mg

7-2006 switch Lexapro to Celexa

12-2007Celexa 40mg Wellbutirin 150mg

9-2009 switch back to Lexapro 20mg, WellbutrinXL 150mg

2-2010 stop Lexapro start Celexa 40mg

11-2010 switch Celexa to Cymbalta 60mg

3-2011 Cymbalta 60mg switch to Effexor 37.5 to 75mg

10-2012 thru 12-2012 taper Effexor 75mg to 37.5 and off.

5-2013 start generic Prozac 10mg to 20mg, Trazadone 25mg  BEGIN THE TAPER(6-2013 Prozac 20mg to 10mg, Trazadone 25mg. 7-2013 liquid Prozac 7mg, Trazadone 25mg 8-2013 liquid Prozac 8mg, Trazadone 25mg9-2013 liquid Prozac 5mg, Trazadone 25mg10-31-2013 liquid Prozac 3.25mg, Trazadone 25mg=11-11-2013 liquid Prozac 3.0mg, Trazadone 25mg=12-4-2013 liquid Prozac 2.8mg, Trazadone 25mg=12-13-2013 liquid Prozac 2.5mg, Trazadone 25mg=1-5-2014 liquid Prozac 2.0mg, Trazadone 25mg=(CURRENT/06-01-2014 LAST dose liquid Prozac, Trazadone 25mg)((Aug. 13, 2014 reinstate .20mg of liquid Prozac for crippling anxiety, dread (still on same Trazadone...)supplements are probiotic, Vit. D3 and Fish Oil daily)Aug 19th reinstate 6.25mg Zoloft, Sept. 4th 25mg Zoloft.CURRENT(50mg Zoloft, 25mg Trazadone)

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Rosebud. I am so sorry that you are experiencing this.  You are wise to reach out... this is a gentle place.

In your signature you mentioned that you are having break through "good" days. That is a very, very good sign.

I just enjoyed a long run of good days, tapered and am back to struggling a bit. It can be so frustrating , but worse yet I think, frightening.

"Feeling so different than your peers" is such a good way to put it too. It's almost like there are "them" and then there is "us" . I have to believe that being one of "us" will make us stronger. 

I'm grateful for this forum and the support and hope you will feel the same.

Hang in there!! We can all do this together!

RU  :)

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry to hear about how much you're suffering, Rosebud.  Here's our topic on reinstating in general that may be of interest:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3079-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-stop-withdrawal-symptoms/

It's true that being three months out and reinstating is risky, but some people on this forum have found that it works.  I'm not recommending it, but it's something to consider.  The idea is to start at a very low dose, a fraction of the last dosage taken, because a person's system has become so sensitized to the drug.

In any event, this is not the way you'll feel for the rest of your life.  That's a very common fear in early withdrawal.  I got off of Lexapro too fast about year and a half ago, but I'm now almost back to normal.  What isn't normal is some emotional deadening, but I'm having some stretches of normalcy there as well.

Were you a regular Valium user?  Would you please add your history with that drug to your signature as well?  Withdrawal from benzos can be every bit as brutal as withdrawing from antidepressants, so that may be compounding your withdrawal problems.

Welcome to the forum.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Thank you Fitby50 and all you ladies for taking the time to write to me. I read, then re-read all your messages as they all give me comfort because I know you all 'get it'.

The hardest thing through all this is that if you do have an ok day, you cant help but feel hopeful that 'this time' that feeling might stay and that it will start to get better from there. Then the next day you wake up with a dread, a deep depression, an almost painful and all consuming anxiety, and I feel totally gutted that I am back to where I started. The latest 'bad day' always feels the hardest yet even though its prob the same as the last. Mainly get bad days but there is the odd ok one thrown in.

I was on 5mg Diazepam x 28 tablets a month for about 2 years. I will add this to my history, thank you x I dont know if the withdrawal is now from the benzo or effexor or both.

After 8 long years of getting used to a med, then staying on it for 6 months (ineffectively), adjusting the dosage myself as the GP admitted to not being an expert so they let me, then withdrawing of it again, only to have a couple of weeks gap before starting on the next one etc etc etc ETC. By the time I decided to just STOP, I must have tried about 12 different ADs and had run out of courage and positivity so to then walk the very hard path of recovery thru WD, I didnt really have the internal resources to tap into. Not like any of us has many choices though eh?

Sending you all tons and tons of focus and positivity towards your own personal challenges. You are all very brave and I wish I could give each of you a big cuddle xxx

Thank you

Rosebud36 x

Rosebud36

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Rosebud,

I'm sorry you are still feeling awful after coming off your medication.  I read your first post and know just how bad it can be at times, when it goes on for so long, not making sense and no one else really understands just how bad it can feel, no matter what you say.

Like you, I was first diagnosed with GAD and have tried several different medications over the years, but now am off all meds.  I tapered too fast and have protracted withdrawal.  But I'm slowly getting better.

This site is wonderful, not only supportive, but probably the best source of AD withdrawal information available, so you are in the right place to start getting some relief and stability back in life for you and your son.

The hardest thing through all this is that if you do have an ok day, you cant help but feel hopeful that 'this time' that feeling might stay and that it will start to get better from there. Then the next day you wake up with a dread, a deep depression, an almost painful and all consuming anxiety, and I feel totally gutted that I am back to where I started.

Before I found this site, this constant unpredictable nature of how I felt made me so confused, it drove me to feeling totally helpless and desperate.  But apparently, this fluctuation is 'normal' in AD recovery, its called a windows and waves pattern.  Here is a link to more information about it:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-recovery/

:)  Hope you feel better soon.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

Rosebud, this is definitely not how you're going to be feeling for the rest of your life. You're in acute withdrawal from a CT of Valium and a  very rapid taper of venlafaxine.

The suffering you're experiencing is normal for your situation, but you WILL recover. It will probably take a lot longer than you'd like it to, but it will happen. I've seen a lot of other people go through the same thing, and they have all gotten better eventually. It may take a couple of years.

Hang in there!

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Thank you Rhi - your message that this is normal and will end is VERY encouraging, although hearing 'two years' fills me with horror lol. This has already been the longest 4 months of my life.

Rosebud x

Rosebud36

Even if it does last two years. It's not going to be intense the whole time like you are experiencing now. It will be a wave and window pattern like the above posters said.

Started Fluoxetine Jan. 2010

Tried to go off of it in Sept. 2010

Weaned too fast and was back on it by Nov. 2010

Didn't work as good the second time around.

Started to wean again in Nov. 2011 and was off for good by April? 2012

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you Rhi - your message that this is normal and will end is VERY encouraging, although hearing 'two years' fills me with horror lol. This has already been the longest 4 months of my life.Rosebud x

It gets better Rosebud, it really does. BUT you have to decide that YOU are in control and not the drugs. My best advice is to listen to the most prominent advice here on this forum. Generally you will hear over and over that going SLOWLY ( yes, " horrifically" slowly) will actually get you to your destination FASTER. Can't stress this enough.

RU

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.