Future treatment of depression

Phil

I googled this today, out of curiosity really. It's sad to see that most sites just mention a list of drugs currently going through trials - everything from melatonin inhibitors to drugs that inhibit uptake of many brain chemicals. *shudder*. I wonder what future problems they will cause, or if people will eventually wise up.

Anyway I came across this:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/09/070913184325.htm

This stuck out to me:

"The study showed that greater grey matter volume in certain areas of the brain predicted more rapid and complete improvement during treatment with antidepressants. Greater activity in the front of the brain prior to treatment also predicted clinical improvement. "

The reason being, that anxiety disorders can cause problems with "activity at the front part of the brain", from what I have read. For me this might explain why I never felt great on meds.

There's also this:

"Professor Bullmore explained, “This study shows that the rate of symptom improvement in depressed patients treated with antidepressant drugs can be predicted by brain scanning before treatment begins. The results add new evidence in favour of the view that we may be able in future to personalise treatment for depressed patients.”"

It's sad that these "brain scanning" things are just focused on antidepressants. I'm sure there's far healthier ways of improving brain function.

Off Lexapro since 3rd November 2011.

It's sad that these "brain scanning" things are just focused on antidepressants. I'm sure there's far healthier ways of improving brain function.

i have read brain scan is unable to show something in a depressed or not brain ...but all this is sad

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

• Administrator

I take all of these breathless reports from the frontiers of psychiatric research with a grain of salt. Most lead nowhere. The ideas that do get developed -- well, you know where that's led us.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy