SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Cytronics: Hello. Me vs Risperidone Withdrawal vs Urination

Cytronics

Hello everyone. (hmmm, seems like spell check does not work on this site)

I just want to share my current experience with Risperidone withdrawal and maybe get some feedback on the situtation.

Current Medications:

• Venlafaxine 225mg
  • Chlorpromazine 100mg

It basically all started quite a few months ago when I experienced extreme frequent urination and urge. At the time I suspected it to be an UTI and visit the doctor. No UTI was found but I was given a dose of antibiotics anyway (Cipro). Antibiotics did not work and I saw another doctor for second opinion. Still no UTI was detected but the doctor assumed it might be an undetectable infection. Another dose of antibiotics were perscriped (Norfloxacin). Still no luck. I was then given Lenditro to try and relax the bladder muscles. No change.

Note: No other urinary symptoms such as burning, pain, swollen or anything of the kind is experienced. It's just the urge and frequency.

An appointment with a state urologist was made but I had to wait 4 months. 4 months later the problem still persists and I'm urination between 30-50 times a day. Urologist did a catheter test and no problems were detected. I was then sent home with more Lenditro and was advised to speak to my mental doc about possible urinal side effect with the Risperidone I was taking. Pdoc suggested I taper off. At that stage I was on 1.5mg and have been taking that dose for about 2 years. Doc wanted me to drop it by 0.5mg per week which I suggested was a horrible idea. I then insisted to rather drop by 10% per week. Doc was not impressed but this is my body so I don't really care. I can't go to another doc since they are state appointed.

To see the urologist again would probably be another 6-8 month wait.

Note: I also experienced loss of libido, horrible weight gain (even though I was not eating more), and fatigue on Risperidone

Anyway, I've taper down the Risperidone dose and I'm finally off the med. I've been off for four days now and things aren't really going to well. My symptoms are as follows:

• Major libido comeback. Basically my libido is totally out of whack. I'm having these major intense sexual dreams and I have this constant desire but it totally feels unnatural and quite uncomfortable.
  • Very fatigued. I simply want to sleep most of the time.
  • Weak body. My body just feels so weak. No energy whatsoever.
  • I'm quite nauseas.
  • Vertigo / Dizzy

What makes matters even worse is the fact my urination has actually gotten worse after I stopped the Risperidone. From the point that I wake up, until I go sleep, I have the constant urge to urinate.

:(

Quick History:

Medicine taken over the last 8 years: Citalopram, Escitalopram, Cymgen (Cymbalta), Prozac, Ativan, Anafranil, Diazepam, Tripiline.

Currently taking:

Venlafaxine (Effexor) - 2 Years (Depression and anxiety)

Chlorpromazine - 5 Months (Anxiety)

Risperidone - Recently discountinued after taking for 2 years

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello and welcome to the forum. Your symptoms sound very uncomfortable and distressing and I'm

sure you will find topics on them in the symptoms and self care boards. 

I can't offer any advice personally but someone will be along very soon who can advise you.  

It would be a great help for staff if you can put our medication history in your signature line ( you can find it in your profile).

You will get lots of help and support here  :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Cytronics,

Welcome to the forum. You will find lots of great support here.

You had the right idea dropping 10% of your medication - only it was still way too fast. We recommend no more than 10% decrease (of previous dose) over 4-6 weeks at a time.

Here is some information about tapering:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/300-important-topics-in-the-tapering-forum-and-faq/

Since you have only been completely off the medication for 4 days, it might be beneficial to reinstate a small dose of the Risperidone to see if that alleviates some of the symptoms.

Also, could you please tell us how long you have been taking the other two medications? (Venlafaxine and Chlorpromazine )?

Did the frequent urination start only when you began the Risperidone or while you were taking the other meds?

Please add your medication signature to help us know where you're at. Here are the instructions:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

I've currently have issues with the frequent urge to urinate all the time. Though it is slightly getting better finally.

I've had blood work done, urinalysis done, kidney's checked from the doctor but nothing came back.

Be careful what the urologist says about your condition. I would take it with a grain of salt.

I believe once you stop taking your med's completely this urge to urinate all the time will very slowly get better.

I've also suffered major libido issues, major erection problems etc etc. All of which have thankfully improved as well.

• Moderator Emeritus

Cytronics,

Here is our tapering topic specifically on Risperidone:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1716-tips-for-tapering-off-risperdal-risperidone/?hl=risperidone

Are you at all interested in getting off of your other medications?

Welcome to the forum.  You'll find lots of good information and friendly support here.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Also, could you please tell us how long you have been taking the other two medications? (Venlafaxine and Chlorpromazine )?

Did the frequent urination start only when you began the Risperidone or while you were taking the other meds?

I've been taking Venlafaxine for about 2 years now and Chlorpromazine for about 5 months.

The frequent urintation problems started about 1 year after starting Venlafaxine and Risperidone.

I've currently have issues with the frequent urge to urinate all the time.

Are you experiencing this problem on Risperidone or some other medication?

My awkward libido problem has seemed to calm down a bit. I still have some nausea and I'm extremely tired most of the time. I'm not sure if this is due to the Risperidone or some other problem. My urination is pretty much up and down so difficult say if it has actually improved or not.

My work however just keeps piling up so I guess my boss is getting pretty annoyed with me right now.

Quick History:

Medicine taken over the last 8 years: Citalopram, Escitalopram, Cymgen (Cymbalta), Prozac, Ativan, Anafranil, Diazepam, Tripiline.

Currently taking:

I don't know much about this at all, but the chlorpromazine in this mix makes me nervous. My understanding is that it is seldom used because it is so commonly associated with side effects. Urinary retention would be typical, but when you add it to these other drugs I can see the opposite happening. Hopefully someone with a clue will have some ideas. Good luck!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• Administrator

I would find a doctor who will look closely at drug interactions and side effects, also check for SIADH or other endocrinological conditions.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 months later...

Hi Cytronics.  I just ran across your post, and I'm wondering about the status of the frequent urination problem.  That's something I've been dealing with also, and it's really driving me crazy.  I'm so sleep-deprived from getting up to pee all night.  Is anything helping?  Is the problem resolving on its own?  I hope that you're doing well.

07.2004 Prozac. Greadually increased to 40mg. Good control of depression, but eventually developed muscle spasms and akathesia.

08.2010 Switched to Celexa. Suicidal ideation was constant.  Unable to sleep without ambien.

05.2012 Switched to Zoloft. Absolutely the BEST control of depression but caused severe bloating and rapid weight gain. Acne.

11.00.2012 Returned to Prozac 40mg

04.00.2013 Prozac 40mg + Wellbutrin 150mg

06.25.2013 Prozac 60mg and Wellbutrin 300mg

07.08.2013 GRAND MAL SEIZURE

07.09.2013 Prozac 40mg and Wellbutrin 300mg

07.26.2013 Prozac 40mg and Wellbutrin 150 mg

08.01.2014 Prozac 40mg and Wellbutrin ZERO

08.09.2013 Prozac 30.0 mg

09.13.2013 Prozac 27.5 mg

10.04.2013 Prozac 25.0 mg

10.25.2013 Prozac 22.5 mg

11.15.2013 Prozac 20.0 mg

12.06.2013 Prozac 15.0 mg

12.21.2013 Prozac 10.0 mg

• Administrator

If you have withdrawal syndrome, frequent urination at night is probably because you have too much cortisol, a daytime hormone, and it's telling vasopressin, a nighttime hormone that conserves urine, to back off. I've dealt with this on and off myself.

The key is to reinforce the nighttime hormones and get more sleep. Take a bit of melatonin at nightfall and block out the light in your bedroom with blackout shades and curtains, also use a sleep mask. Darkness triggers the nighttime hormones, light triggers the daytime hormones.

If you are staying up late in front of a bright video display, that could also be sending daytime signals to your brain.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hi Cytronics.  I just ran across your post, and I'm wondering about the status of the frequent urination problem.  That's something I've been dealing with also, and it's really driving me crazy.  I'm so sleep-deprived from getting up to pee all night.  Is anything helping?  Is the problem resolving on its own?  I hope that you're doing well.

Hey there.

Well it's been quite some time off the Risperidone and I'm sad to say that the problem still persists. Actually in some ways I think it maybe even got worse.

At this stage I have no life outside of my tiny apartment. I don't go out, visit friends, go the cinema, etc. I also buy all my stuff online so it gets delivered to my door. It's all rather sad but that's just how things are. As you can imagine, all this is making me extremely depressed. My quality of life is pretty horrible at the moment.

Regarding the frequent urination, I've had a ton of tests done at the state hospital. Xrays, sonar, catheter, scope, sugar, urine cultures, etc. Everything is pretty much crystal clear test result wise and it seems like the hospital if running out of options. One of the doctors actually said and I quote "Maybe it's just something you need to live with". Horrible words to hear.

What I can say however is that I'm 99% certain that the Risperidone is not the cause. I'm at this stage now where I have to search for other options and try and think of ideas. Water retention came to mind but my symptoms don't really fit the diagnosis. The other option is to get my thyroid checked. I actually recommended this to the hospital but they felt the test would be a waste of time. I'm going to pressure them some more as I need peace of mind on this matter.

Finally, I'm still on Effexor though. Getting off that is simply not going to happen. The only other alternative is to go over to Cymgen (Cymbalta) and see if my urination patterns changes. I've been on pretty much all the urine drugs such as ditropan, cipro, imipramine, etc. none of them makes any difference whatsoever.

It's so sad that something as simple as urine can cause such major life despair.

Quick History:

Currently taking:

• Administrator

Why is reducing Effexor impossible?

Well I never said it was impossible just something I'm avoiding.

My Effexor dose has actually been reduced to 75mg currently but anything lower than that is pretty much a no go at this stage. I've tried it before (even via the granules method) and the brain shocks, nausea, etc. is just unbearable. I actually lost my previous job due to the withdrawal of Effexor. After being unemployed for almost a year I'm definetely not going to risk it with my new job.

I just wish I knew for certain that it could be Effexor causing the urination problem. As mentioned before, I can taper over to Cymbalta but it's quite expensive and the Effexor is provided free via the state hospital. If push comes to shove, I guess I have no real choice.

Quick History:

Currently taking:

• 4 weeks later...

My Effexor dose has actually been reduced to 75mg currently but anything lower than that is pretty much a no go at this stage. I've tried it before (even via the granules method) and the brain shocks, nausea, etc. is just unbearable. I actually lost my previous job due to the withdrawal of Effexor. After being unemployed for almost a year I'm definetely not going to risk it with my new job.

I just wish I knew for certain that it could be Effexor causing the urination problem. As mentioned before, I can taper over to Cymbalta but it's quite expensive and the Effexor is provided free via the state hospital. If push comes to shove, I guess I have no real choice.

What if it is Effexor that's causing the frequent urination problem?

Hi there Cy!

Wow. That's really discouraging. I'm so sorry to hear that the urinary problems are not resolving. You must be exhausted and frustrated and discouraged.  What you're experiencing is much worse than the symptoms which I dealt with.  And I could hardly cope with those.

I'm not a doctor and have no medical training, but since your MDs can't find any medical explanation for it, I would tend to believe that the problem is a side effect of your meds or from your recent withdrawal.  For those of us who end up on this site, it seems like everything which can't be medically explained turns out to be either a side effect or a withdrawal symptom.

I searched through the medication guide which Pfizer publishes regarding effexor, which I found at:  http://labeling.pfizer.com/showlabeling.aspx?id=100Under the topic entitled "Other Adverse Events Observed During the Premarketing Evaluation of Effexor and Effexor XR" these materials indicate the reported side effects for the "Urogenital System" included:  urinary incontinence, urinary urgency, and bladder pain.  See page 43 of the guide.

Given this as a possibility, I would certainly take another look at the effexor.  I appreciate that pharmaceutical alternatives within your healthcare system are expensive, and there are risks of AD withdrawal if you switch to another med.  But if you've exhausted your other options and possibilities it may be worth a try.  Especially considering how debilitating these symptoms are for you.

Please take my thoughts and suggestions with a grain of salt.  They are based merely on my own experiences and are given with without expectation.  Whatever you decide, I wish you success.  Please keep us updated with your experiences.

Best,

mtnbkr.

07.2004 Prozac. Greadually increased to 40mg. Good control of depression, but eventually developed muscle spasms and akathesia.

08.2010 Switched to Celexa. Suicidal ideation was constant.  Unable to sleep without ambien.

05.2012 Switched to Zoloft. Absolutely the BEST control of depression but caused severe bloating and rapid weight gain. Acne.

11.00.2012 Returned to Prozac 40mg

04.00.2013 Prozac 40mg + Wellbutrin 150mg

06.25.2013 Prozac 60mg and Wellbutrin 300mg

07.08.2013 GRAND MAL SEIZURE

07.09.2013 Prozac 40mg and Wellbutrin 300mg

07.26.2013 Prozac 40mg and Wellbutrin 150 mg

08.01.2014 Prozac 40mg and Wellbutrin ZERO

08.09.2013 Prozac 30.0 mg

09.13.2013 Prozac 27.5 mg

10.04.2013 Prozac 25.0 mg

10.25.2013 Prozac 22.5 mg

11.15.2013 Prozac 20.0 mg

12.06.2013 Prozac 15.0 mg

12.21.2013 Prozac 10.0 mg

What if it is Effexor that's causing the frequent urination problem?

Hi there Cy!

Wow. That's really discouraging. I'm so sorry to hear that the urinary problems are not resolving. You must be exhausted and frustrated and discouraged.  What you're experiencing is much worse than the symptoms which I dealt with.  And I could hardly cope with those.

I'm not a doctor and have no medical training, but since your MDs can't find any medical explanation for it, I would tend to believe that the problem is a side effect of your meds or from your recent withdrawal.  For those of us who end up on this site, it seems like everything which can't be medically explained turns out to be either a side effect or a withdrawal symptom.

I searched through the medication guide which Pfizer publishes regarding effexor, which I found at:  http://labeling.pfizer.com/showlabeling.aspx?id=100Under the topic entitled "Other Adverse Events Observed During the Premarketing Evaluation of Effexor and Effexor XR" these materials indicate the reported side effects for the "Urogenital System" included:  urinary incontinence, urinary urgency, and bladder pain.  See page 43 of the guide.

Given this as a possibility, I would certainly take another look at the effexor.  I appreciate that pharmaceutical alternatives within your healthcare system are expensive, and there are risks of AD withdrawal if you switch to another med.  But if you've exhausted your other options and possibilities it may be worth a try.  Especially considering how debilitating these symptoms are for you.

Please take my thoughts and suggestions with a grain of salt.  They are based merely on my own experiences and are given with without expectation.  Whatever you decide, I wish you success.  Please keep us updated with your experiences.

Best,

mtnbkr.

As per my previous post, I agree that Effexor might play a role in this. Actually the Effexor theory is pretty much the last option I have left. I will be going over to Cymbalta in December. I've switched from Effexor to Cymbalta before and it was a pretty smooth experience. Cymbalta is also prescriped in certain countries for stress urinary incontinence so if worst case scenario it's not the Effexor then Cymbalta still has a chance to help.

Either way it's my only option at the moment.

Quick History:

Currently taking:

• Moderator Emeritus

I had urinary incontinence before I started Risperdal, bad. That went away while I was on higher dosing and is coming back at a lower dose.

I can't say other drugs are not playing a part but I know for a fact that Risperdal has that effect on me. In fact, while on the higher doses, I had trouble starting a stream. The two weeks I was off it, I had to go constantly and I've seen a similar complaint on this board but I don't remember who it was, I'm pretty sure it was a male member. (He counted how many times he had to go in so many minutes.)

I had frequent urination on and off the Risperidal so at this stage I feel safe to say it's something else causing it. Just hope Effexor is the culprit.

I just find it odd that Effexor (or even Risperidal) would cause urination problems after a clean 1.2 years of use.

Quick History:

Currently taking: