SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

DJones: Celexa kindling reaction

Djones1984

I posted in the benzo forum, Rhi can you please comment on this when you can just don't want to screw myself up more but just trying to get to liveable zone. I updosed 4 days ago to spread out.. 5 every 12 hours so I am now on 1mg daily been feeling more tired and sometimes I feel the fight or flight tries to break through. I tried. 25mg twice a day but dident feel it at all and my anxiety was bad.

But now I am worried I have further screwed up my system by updosing to 1mg I don't know what to do stay here or go back down to. 25mg before my system gets used to this.

April 2013 Doc put me back on 40mg of celexa for 2.5 weeks than switched to Paxil 3 weeks adverse reaction and kindling reaction
July 2013 5mg celexa and .5mg klonopin daily

5/15/16 started lamictal and currently at 25mg daily once a day.

1/1/17 crossed over from .5mg klonopin to 10mg Valium.

3/1/17 off celexa from getting down to around .25mg.

5/25/17 started tapering the Valium from 10mg to 9mg

6/25/17 dropped down to 8mg Valium 

currently on 8mg of Valium and 25mg of lamictal once a day in the morning never could handle more than 25mg of lamictal and never really felt anything from it.

7/2/17 updosed to 10mg Valium and holding split twice a day and holding.

3/1/18 dropped Valium from 10mg to 9.5mg

4/1/18 dropped Valium from 9.5 to 9mg still on 25mg lamictal.

Updosed 6/20/18 Valium 10mg and 25mg lamictal and holding.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Djones1984

• Altostrata

• Petunia

• SquirrellyGirl

Top Posters In This Topic

Well today was filled with more of these obbsessive anxious thoughts about everything I have been through over the last 7 months. I am yet again in a huge deppresion thinking about meds, How screwed up I am and what not to do and all that I cant do becouse of my messed up nervous system. Just want to wake up and drink a cup of coffe on the deck in piece. Think I will take a break from this forum for awhile or something.

April 2013 Doc put me back on 40mg of celexa for 2.5 weeks than switched to Paxil 3 weeks adverse reaction and kindling reaction

currently on 8mg of Valium and 25mg of lamictal once a day in the morning never could handle more than 25mg of lamictal and never really felt anything from it.

• Moderator Emeritus

Just want to wake up and drink a cup of coffe on the deck in piece.

Me too :)

If I can ever drink coffee again, I will never take it for granted.  Hang in there Djones, it will get better.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thanks, Boy last night was a trip was having weird sounds in my head kind of like voices and kind of not. I think since upping the klonopin. 5mg twice a day I am worse of than before and my depression has increased and I am agitated or maybe it's just all in my head. Can not keep off these forums I am in obsessed mode.

Hi D-

Hang in there. I am relatively new to this forum, but I do know that there are wonderful people here with great advice. Just wanted you to know that I will be praying for you.

Zoe

Jan. 1994 Pamelor

2000 switched to Zoloft 

2011 Zoloft pooped out- Dr. switched me directly to Lexapro15mg -had a horrible 6mths

2013 upped Lexapro to 20 mgs-pooped out

June 2013 Dr. added 150 Wellbutrin to Lexapro.

July 2013 Switched back to Zoloft 100mgs.Was still taking Wellbutrin. Lots of anxiety from the Wellbutrin

July 2013 Started to wean Wellbutrin- off by Sept.

Oct. 2013 added 400 mgs of Neurotin to the Zoloft

Jan 2014 Tapered off of the Zoloft and onto Prozac 30 mgs. Also still taking 400 mgs Neurotin

Feb 2014 Reduced Prozac to 13 mgs. Still taking 400 mgs Neurotin

Aug. 2014 Prozac 13 mgs. Finished with Neurotin. .7 Risperadol

• Administrator

"Depression"-like symptoms can be a side effect of a benzo.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Boy last night was a trip was having weird sounds in my head kind of like voices and kind of not. I think since upping the klonopin. 5mg twice a day I am worse of than before and my depression has increased and I am agitated or maybe it's just all in my head. Can not keep off these forums I am in obsessed mode.

I went through a stage of several months where I was hearing strange sounds, words/sentences in my head, often as I was falling asleep, it was very disturbing, but it passed.

The intensity of these withdrawal symptoms can be frightening and there is no one in our real life who we can talk to about it, who understands, so being able to get validation, support and reassurance that we are not 'going crazy' is very important, I think these forums serve that purpose.

I don't have any experience with Klonopin, but around the time when I was still taking small amounts of Xanax on an irregular basis (also a benzo), that was when my symptoms were at their very worst.

Its not all just in your head, you are having very real withdrawal symptoms.  Hang in there, do what you need to do to get through it.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

Ya i hope I am doing the right thing, just wish I would have done more research before I tapered off the celexa in the first place so fast. Boy I hope I make it though this quicker than a couple years and I hope I did the right thing reinstating 5mg after having a bad reaction to it in the first place. This physical work will probably have to stop after I get done with this job for awhile too.

Thanks Zoe for praying for me I will say a pray for everyone on this site tonight. I am miserable and just do not see any hope in fighting through this hell at the moment.

• Administrator

DJ, there are a couple of doctors in Minnesota on our list http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/988-recommended-doctors-therapists-or-clinics/

You might find some support there.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I tried one guy was inpatient only and the other guy will not get back to me I guess I need another doctor referral.

• Administrator

Which was inpatient only? Sometimes you need to keep trying to get a callback from a doctor.

Not sure he was with hazelden and the guy I am trying to get a hold off is David bransfield md.

• 4 weeks later...

Lately I have been having numbness in my feet and pain in my legs. Is this normal anyone else have this?

Yes, in w/d it is "normal" to feel ALL kind of weird and bizarre stuff.

What I do is try not to pay attention to it;I've found out that they eventually pass.

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

Hi DJones....

I am on Celexa and have been tapering for a good while now.  I tapered 5mgs. at a time, so I went for 40mgs. to 20mgs.  in a year (not sure).  I was doing well and about two months back a doctor changed my hormone replacements rather drastically.  And then the WD hit.

Numbness is part of it, suicide ideation is too.  It's all rather draining and frustrating.  For myself whenever I have tapered and I dropped too much too fast I was able to updose or go back to my original dose and the WD stopped.  Is it possible that the 5mgs. is not enough?  I really don't know.  This is tricky business.

For myself, right now I am having depression and it is lousy.  Anxiety is like a fly-in-your-face compared to depression.

As far as work goes I have a very physically demanding job.  Sometimes I feel tired and achy, but overall I find it helps.

For me, being busy and physically busy is good medicine.  I have found that if I have worked very hard all week and I give myself permission to lay down on a Saturday afternoon for a few hours, well it  totally rejuvenates me.

I guess it is a matter or doing what we do and seeing how we feel.  The physical symptoms don't really phase me - anxiety and depression do.....for me I just keep moving.  It helps me.

Nikki

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Ya i am not so sure what to think about dosage and if I should try and increase? I messed myself up pretty good by dropping from 40mg to 0 over 2 months and than bouncing back to full dose and trying different meds as well at different dosages after being off completely for 1 month. Probably just stay where I am at and continue to try and stabilise.

Hey rhi if you read this do you think I would benefit from increasing dose of celexa a little?

• Administrator

Dj, how long have you been taking 5mg Celexa?

About 3 months

• Administrator

Rhi suggested you give it 6 months.

How has your symptom pattern changed over the 3 months you've been taking 5mg Celexa?

Well everyone says I am way better than I was. I feel better but nowhere near good most of the time but I have been able to work again. I know I should probably leave it alone but part of thinks maybe at say 10MG I might feel better but probably not and I guess I don't want to risk screwing me up even more.

• Administrator

I would NOT increase your dosage. I agree with Rhi.

Ok thanks Alto!

So in general what foods should I aviod in withdrawal?

• Moderator Emeritus

So in general what foods should I aviod in withdrawal?

Its difficult to say because everyone is different in what seems to effect them, but a general consensus seems to be its best to avoid sugar, caffeine, alcohol, too much carbs and a lot of processed foods.

Have a look at this topic on NON-IRRITATING DIETS AND FOOD SENSITIVITIES for some ideas.  Here is the link, you will have to scroll down to the bottom, its the last heading:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/604-important-topics-about-symptoms-including-sleep-problems/

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

So ya i have not drank coffee for 7 months try to keep sugar down and I can't even eat pizza what a joke. U got so much anger about all of this and my battle with these meds and alcoholism and drug abuse which all started around the same time as the meds and benzos Man I have been very restless and irritable lately like i just want to jump out of bed and scream and I have cravings for really don't know what I guess some sort of relief from this bullsh*t life. I have dealt with so much now I have a screwed up nervous system and can't even take an advil without getting screw up what the hell is the point of even living like this.

Do you like to read? The book Death Grip might resonate with you. Incidentally, the author, Matt S. Has an article up on madinamerica.com about his return of withdrawal symptoms which talks some about food issues. Hang in there!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Thanks, Yes I read just been having a bad few days and questioning a lot in my life right now. I just feel so messed up sometimes and its hard to see the light at the end of this tunnel.

• 3 weeks later...

Need some words of inspiration i have been really irritable and don't know where to turn anymore. I am losing hope that this reinstatment will evercatch up and I am doomed. I am kjust unable to deal with stress or anything alot of time and have so much pain, adrenaline and agitation. I just wish I would have never stopped the celexa so fast but was ill informed. I am doing better than I was but still far into the depths of hell and now have the benzo to deal with on top of it.

• Moderator Emeritus

You aren't doomed, Djones, recovery just takes time.  Try to remember that during every moment, whether you feel doomed or not, your body is recovering.  Hang in there with us!

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

Thanks ya well I don't know just feel trapped and don't know what to do anymore.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks ya well I don't know just feel trapped and don't know what to do anymore.

In some ways, we are trapped, we are trapped in bodies withdrawing from medications. 

For me, accepting that there really is nothing I can do to speed up this process, takes some of the pain away.  I stop struggling against what is, and so I have a little more energy available.

All you need to do is whatever it takes to get through each day and let time pass so that you can recover.  Do whatever helps you feel better.  Sometimes, nothing seems to help apart from waiting for a wave to pass and they always do, eventually.

Its sort of like having the flu, for a long time, it feels awful, miserable and you can't make it go away faster, it has to run its course, but you know its going to end eventually.

I hope you feel better soon.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

• Administrator

Dj, what is your symptom pattern in regard to when you take the benzo?

Well still been taking. 05 once a day in the morning 7am and helps until after lunch or so I get worse symptoms in the afternoons than it usually gets better to award evening hours but still very irritable in the evenings. I feel like maybe a crash of the benzo early afternoon maybe.

• Administrator

You may be experiencing adverse effects from the benzo -- rebound symptoms when your morning dose wears off. This is one of the major drawbacks of taking a benzo.

The rebound anxiety, etc. exacerbates your withdrawal symptoms.